Jump to content

Using a dlpm with wing attack strategy?


Recommended Posts

By far my best player is my deep lying playmaker (Janjatovic), so I really want him to be involved as much as possible.
But my wingers are reasonable, so I want to use a wing attack strategy sometimes. The default distribution setting is "distribute to flanks", which will bypass my main man.
Any thoughts about what to do to get him involved with wingers strategy?
 
 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

But my wingers are reasonable, so I want to use a wing attack strategy sometimes. The default distribution setting is "distribute to flanks", which will bypass my main man

Are you talking about the preset "Wing-play" tactic or any tactic that employs wingers as a role? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm talking about the preset wing play tactic.  Fair warning, I'm pretty tactically illiterate, but I'm doing my best to improve this.  

Now I'm thinking I could get the keeper to distribute quickly to the dlpm, and then he can have the option to pass out to the wings, but I'm all ears for other ideas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd actually argue he's better as an Advanced Playmaker but to answer your original question, yes you can play a DLP with wingers. He lacks a bit of work rate so you'll need players around him to carry him a bit. Stick to maybe a 4123 so you can get some more defensive cover in midfield. The winger closest to the DLP should be your attacking one and for the sake of balance the opposite one could be on support. Have a runner next to the DLP and that way you'll have a lot of options for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Justified said:

I'd actually argue he's better as an Advanced Playmaker but to answer your original question, yes you can play a DLP with wingers. He lacks a bit of work rate so you'll need players around him to carry him a bit. Stick to maybe a 4123 so you can get some more defensive cover in midfield. The winger closest to the DLP should be your attacking one and for the sake of balance the opposite one could be on support. Have a runner next to the DLP and that way you'll have a lot of options for him.

Thanks!  I appreciate the answer, and hope to learn enough to be able to dispense my own football wisdom one day.  By the way, would you mind looking at my tactic and telling me what you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

Thanks!  I appreciate the answer, and hope to learn enough to be able to dispense my own football wisdom one day.  By the way, would you mind looking at my tactic and telling me what you think?

Sure, no probs. I probably won't know who your players are but still :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

I'm talking about the preset wing play tactic.  Fair warning, I'm pretty tactically illiterate, but I'm doing my best to improve this.  

Now I'm thinking I could get the keeper to distribute quickly to the dlpm, and then he can have the option to pass out to the wings, but I'm all ears for other ideas

Basically, you can create your own wing-play tactic that has nothing (or little) to do with the preset. I especially tend to avoid presets as they (almost) always contain some sort of tactical overkill.

So yes, you can use a DLP role in a basically wing-play tactic. How should you do that is a different question though.

The best idea is to post a screenshot of the tactic as you envision it and then we can tell you if there are any potential flaws and how it can be improved (if needed).

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

?imw=1024&imh=520&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

These are potential flaws in the tactic:

- the attacking fullback on the left flank has not adequate defensive cover (the best option is to change his duty into support)

- the AMC is likely to end up competing for space with the 2 CMs behind him, due to the configuration of their roles and duties

- 2 playmakers so close to each other + both on support duties (DLP and AP in this case) might make sense in a possession-heavy style, but certainly not in a wing-play

- overkill of wing-oriented in-possession instructions (extreme width + focus on the flanks + overlaps), you don't need all of these even in a wing-play style

If you would like me to tell you how I would set up a wing-play tactic that employs a DLP in the 4231 system, please let me know :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

These are potential flaws in the tactic:

- the attacking fullback on the left flank has not adequate defensive cover (the best option is to change his duty into support)

- the AMC is likely to end up competing for space with the 2 CMs behind him, due to the configuration of their roles and duties

- 2 playmakers so close to each other + both on support duties (DLP and AP in this case) might make sense in a possession-heavy style, but certainly not in a wing-play

- overkill of wing-oriented in-possession instructions (extreme width + focus on the flanks + overlaps), you don't need all of these even in a wing-play style

If you would like me to tell you how I would set up a wing-play tactic that employs a DLP in the 4231 system, please let me know :thup:

Yes please!!

Baby_Birds-pictures.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

Yes please!!

Okay:

CFat

Wsu             AMat            Wsu

CMde   DLPsu

WBsu     CDde  CDde   FBsu

SKde

Mentality - Balanced

In possession - direct pass. higher tempo, wider, focus down the right (possible occasional/optional in-match tweaks: early crosses, pass into space)

In transition - counter & distribute quickly

Out of possession - lower LOE & get stuck in

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay:

CFat

Wsu             AMat            Wsu

CMde   DLPsu

WBsu     CDde  CDde   FBsu

SKde

Mentality - Balanced

In possession - direct pass. higher tempo, wider, focus down the right (possible occasional/optional in-match tweaks: early crosses, pass into space)

In transition - counter & distribute quickly

Out of possession - lower LOE & get stuck in

AAh, the complete forward, the pinnacle of strikers! You don't see many of those in the Ekstraklasa, at least not at Wisla Plock...Any alternatives?  

Thanks so much for helping me out, if this was on youtube I'd like and subscribe.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, temporaryeggs said:

AAh, the complete forward, the pinnacle of strikers! You don't see many of those in the Ekstraklasa, at least not at Wisla Plock...Any alternatives?  

You can go with AF or PF on attack instead. The idea with CF was to create more space and give opposition defenses more to think about by his movement, but is not necessary as a role in this kind of tactic. 

 

13 minutes ago, temporaryeggs said:

Thanks so much for helping me out, if this was on youtube I'd like and subscribe

Don't thank me until you see if it works for your team ;)

Because this is not a plug'n'play tactic, but rather just an example of how a wing-play using a DLP could be set up. But I cannot know if it would suit your players, so that's something only you can find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, temporaryeggs said:

AAh, the complete forward, the pinnacle of strikers! You don't see many of those in the Ekstraklasa, at least not at Wisla Plock...Any alternatives?

Just a note on this, you don't necessarily need the game to rate a player as a CF for him to be able to play in that role. Because the CF has a Current Ability threshold tied into it, natural ones are indeed quite rare, but lesser players can still preform well if they're well rounded. It's more about the instructions and the movement the role brings, so if that's what you want from a player and think he can pull it off, don't be too discouraged by the low star rating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Just a note on this, you don't necessarily need the game to rate a player as a CF for him to be able to play in that role. Because the CF has a Current Ability threshold tied into it, natural ones are indeed quite rare, but lesser players can still preform well if they're well rounded. It's more about the instructions and the movement the role brings, so if that's what you want from a player and think he can pull it off, don't be too discouraged by the low star rating.

Yes, it's hard to kick the habit of wanting those lovely stars and green circles.  Before, I used to just choose a formation, plonk the players on, make sure all the circles were green, and start the match!  Now before a match starts, with all the tactical intricacies to consider, I feel like I'm launching a space shuttle!  Maybe I was happier back then...

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You can go with AF or PF on attack instead. The idea with CF was to create more space and give opposition defenses more to think about by his movement, but is not necessary as a role in this kind of tactic. 

 

Don't thank me until you see if it works for your team 

Because this is not a plug'n'play tactic, but rather just an example of how a wing-play using a DLP could be set up. But I cannot know if it would suit your players, so that's something only you can find out.

Yes, if I lose, I'm gonna be pissed...;)

Honestly, I've got so many more questions, but I don't want to wear out my welcome.  In the spirit of giving back, I found this tactics rating site. https://ratemytactic.web.app/       You probably know it, but anyway.  If you have used that app, what do you think of it? (oh crap, that was another question - sneaky huh).

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Just a note on this, you don't necessarily need the game to rate a player as a CF for him to be able to play in that role. Because the CF has a Current Ability threshold tied into it, natural ones are indeed quite rare, but lesser players can still preform well if they're well rounded. It's more about the instructions and the movement the role brings, so if that's what you want from a player and think he can pull it off, don't be too discouraged by the low star rating.

I couldn't agree more :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, temporaryeggs said:

I found this tactics rating site. https://ratemytactic.web.app/       You probably know it, but anyway.  If you have used that app, what do you think of it? (oh crap, that was another question - sneaky huh)

Definitely not crap, but also not something you should follow blindly. Can be helpful to some degree, but only if used with caution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Definitely not crap, but also not something you should follow blindly. Can be helpful to some degree, but only if used with caution. 

Duly noted.  I gotta ask : is FM2021 worth buying?  I'm thinking about giving it a miss this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, temporaryeggs said:

I gotta ask : is FM2021 worth buying?

Honestly, I am still on FM20, so cannot tell if it's worth buying.

However, having seen a number of Rashidi's recent videos on FM21, the ME seems even better now, especially the Focus play team instruction(s), which finally works exactly as it should.

On the other hand, I (like Rashidi) don't like the UI during matches.

As usual, there are both pros and cons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...