[FM21] Odd That They Have Never Won The Title

SixPointer

A decision has been made!!!!

”I AINT F*****g leaving!!!”

Ole Martin Nesselquist will stay on for at least one more season. 

A few reasons 

the fact Rosenberg run us so close I want to see what the brings?

ive been speaking privately to a friend about tactics and I think it’s time to change back to the to Original nessel ball tactic i forgot how good the football was so I want to go back to that the 343 is powerful but it’s not the flashy High tempo game that I want to write about. 

and let’s have one more go at Europe! 

and I would I like the domestic treble to finish off the journey so as off tomorrow it’s on like donkey Kong!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

593167652_OddsHeader.jpg.63ec530e96104ed9d4b5015bdf060614.jpg

The Super Scheme

0cd78af88cc4a135c07606bd11d59eb6.png

First up is the original Nessel ball league winning tactic. it played some wonderful football.

• Designed to overload on the right with the BPD (stay wider) WB, RPM and DLF all used to drag the opponent to our right.
  • The left-hand side is designed to attack the left-over space in 1v1 or 2v1 with the WB and Poacher. A CMD is in there for cover and balance.
  • The Shadow striker is a weapon all on his own attacking the direct space left from the dropping DLF in what am calling a rotational attack
  • Defensive wise we force the opponent outside to the wings as our back three will deal with crosses and with only on holding CM it will help him from being overrun.
  • The compact high block is designed to draw the opponent to our half where they come into our compact shape and we win the ball and then attack in behind after they over commit men.

1c67305d1398d516f35f442243160cbe.png

Second setup is the new superior centre tactic

• Three playmaking roles all central DLP, ENG, TREQ but all on different lines of the pitch. am hoping to build up nicely through the middle and overload it with these. I’m looking to see some unique football. TREQ ENG combo hard to pull off but hoping it can be done.
  • The underload (my new term) is the wing backs bombing forward hopefully attacking the space left from drawing the opponent inside.
  • I went with a pressing forward to negate the lack of work rate from the TREQ & ENG and he also attacks space in behind similar to Advanced forward.
  • Forcing the opponent inside now as we have more central cover with two holding roles and the fact our wing backs will be high the back line switches to the outside CB's being stoppers to cover the space left by high wing backs.
  • The block is now higher and more of a high press but still compact as we look to dominate the ball here its more about playing in front of a parked bus rather than attacking in behind.

b29b439037cd1269e305989e5ec26a3a.png

The final system is the left-hand dominator. Much debate on this one considered using defensive winger it’s still in the exceedingly early stages, so I’ll leave this one until I nail it down more but rough idea off it. Terribly similar to how Tuchel is playing at Chelsea in terms of shape and roles.

All set for a full action packed day off ODD now! ill do month by month updates should hopefully get a full 2/3 months in the bag! The tactics and the chance of a Rosenborg revival as the biggest title challenger have me motivated for at least one more bite at the cherry!

Thanks for Reading

My adaption of "Nesselquist" ball is similar to the original, but tries to dominate the middle in attack. My Second formation is a 3-5-2 with same TI's and plays much differently almost longball counter attacks which is great against a high press.

40 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

My adaption of "Nesselquist" ball is similar to the original, but tries to dominate the middle in attack. My Second formation is a 3-5-2 with same TI's and plays much differently almost longball counter attacks which is great against a high press.

I see. Glad to have given some inspiration 😎

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

1165175152_OddsHeader.jpg.13cc95f232dec845d72679c6f98e048f.jpg

April 2025

3d1a76a44cc1cf95ca8e20488c771014.png

League season kicks off with a huge double header, up the artic to take on Bodo then Molde arrive at fortress Skagerak! doesn’t get much tougher than that really only Rosenberg would be a tougher test. It doesn’t get any easier as Stromsgodset follow who always give us a game, then Sandefjord who finished in their highest place in history then the Cupen winners to round it off.

b3321b82ba7a730f35ebd9ac18977ea6.png

475816a8a3cc0d799ddb69aa12cce2d1.png

Off to a flying start with a real complete performance at Bodo. restricting them to only 1 shot on goal its definitely more like the football first associated with Nesselquist’s reign. Tough to break down and lethal in the transition.

Both strikers get the goals, Special one for Moen who gets a goal on the debut. Borchgrevink looked deadly down the right possibly the big upgrade down that side we have been crying out for.

NFF_Cupen_Fotball.jpg.3c798ec0818e5a87ac2cdd8957a138b3.jpg

6750203e8ab58461ed352fb113563da4.png

Real minnows in the first round of the Cupen. Again, this year as always, the Cupen will be devoted to the players who aren’t getting into the first 11. I have a good idea of what a see my strongest 11 as but as everyone knows I have a very well-rounded squad, so it often chops and changes due to form etc.

e02e3507c8561fa9337eb58d8d4e8823.png

Our stubborn compact high block looked like it had got us all 3 points until a silly foul in the last 5 minutes gives Molde the equaliser from the spot. Big two points dropped early on. Molde had a lot of the ball but came up against a wall and our clinical counter finished by former Molde man Tjåland looked to have given the 3 points to Odd but wasn’t to be.

e1993eb23a0c8c6d156fc08ad6f06152.png

No shocks in the Cupen. Stale Richardson staked a real claim to be considered for the first 11 with 4 goals and a ten out of ten performance. Granted against poor opposition but the 16-year-old shows he know where the back of the net is. Thundering a drive in from 25 yards for the hattrick. trialling out the central overload tactic in this one with some early success in the testing stage.

7f36ccd84b5f827ea53f8b01dc3444d4.png

Slight step up in class for next round but still a very favourable draw.

b8432fe991db72d842ce68dba4795403.png

It’s another penalty that costs us 2 points and to rub salt into the wounds its Endre Olsen who tucks it away after selling him in the last window. Performance wise the tactics are working really frustrating sides who are struggling to break through the block and often over commit, just need to be more clinical and don’t give away penalties!

23fe22b1790d5724a234b9510dd92d48.png

The parked bus was out in force at the Skagerak today, the central overload done its job and upped the domination but couldn’t break the deadlock. It took a fine back post header from a freekick to get the job done and a big three points on the board after back-to-back draws. Clean sheets win titles!

6dcc3c603d1ec71093483b9c287cb01c.png

f7107c53d1a5ffc47c1253dfef8fdaa2.png

ANOTHER PENALTY! What the hell is going on? is this something from the update? Nesselquist ball is well and truly back though, teams are really struggling to get through us, and our counters look more potent game by game. 16 unbeaten across two seasons.

Both our goals in with a shout for goal of the month Aga latching onto a defensive splitting pass from Francis after a turnover in our half textbook of what I want to see but....

d39eeabe8c4cc14c530818a81c110038.gif

A perfectly worked throw in routine that leaves the wing back 1v1 at back post to head home. Aas (RPM) with the lay off to Rasmussen (DLF) to cross for Bjorkan to head home his first goal for the club. Like poetry in motion and well-earned goal of the month!

e0e7edb298f6b93f0dea3f9290a4cce4.png

Syver Aas flexibility is now causing havoc against teams, He started the game as the shadow striker played the middle part as the Deep lying forward and finished the game as the RPM this looks like it could be his big season, He flourished as the SS in the first league winning campaign, but he has now looked to be the biggest asset in the squad.

94435fb07f027bf6c70ef2aacc3090e7.gif

Too many good goals this month. Benjaminsen is immense from distance and he shows it here as the shadow striker smashes one home after nice interplay down the left. It only missed out on goal of the month due to the fact it was against weaker opposition. WHAT A HIT SON!

dc25bcd0a2e8daed621d905eebdec6cc.png

Yes, it’s exactly what everyone wants to see after 5 games. Both Rosenberg and Odd unbeaten and battling it out at the top. This is what drove Nesselquist forward a chance to beat then giant in a race again to show he really has made Odd a powerhouse.

Its tight at the top Molde are only a point off it who are now being managed by Lillestrøm manager from last year lack of goals by their standards, but I think the quality from his side last year and with the Molde players it will become a three-horse race.

Thanks For Reading

Looks lie you are having a problem scoring against "Parked Buses". It is a problem we all run into after becoming successful. 

My suggestion is give the other team some room to breathe.....and attack through the middle with a very narrow attack.....it is counterintuitive but seems to work. (learned about it in the Livorno thread)

It is the principle behind my 3-5-2 that is the new "Dauphinais Ball" even though the inspiration was Brendan Rodgers Leicester this season playing against a 4-2-3-1 Wide.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Looks lie you are having a problem scoring against "Parked Buses". It is a problem we all run into after becoming successful. 

My suggestion is give the other team some room to breathe.....and attack through the middle with a very narrow attack.....it is counterintuitive but seems to work. (learned about it in the Livorno thread)

It is the principle behind my 3-5-2 that is the new "Dauphinais Ball" even though the inspiration was Brendan Rodgers Leicester this season playing against a 4-2-3-1 Wide.

That’s exactly how I play anyway. The problem is for me some don’t wanna come out cause the know I crave the space in behind 🤣 that’s why I had to make the central overload tactic with a more possession flavour to it. As they wouldn’t commit there back mine forward into my compact block. It’s only sandefjord that went this full game plan. Other than that the countering is still working. 

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

2122767016_OddsHeader.jpg.13b8ff8718818a26d8eeb6964ac90b64.jpg

May 2025

375d96e61ca303bba06f602eddd9756b.png

On paper a very winnable month, Ranheim have started really well but have never beat us in 7 attempts. Bryne once the club of Erling Haaland is up next in the Cupen again it’s a small upgrade in opponent but with a home tie I fancy us to take care of business. Fredrikstad, Stabaek and Tromso are all games that we must take 3 points to keep the pressure on Rosenberg.

1285139254_Leagueheader.jpg.03026e6189b22a1dfb09bc7577b18fab.jpg

fcd51e529bf008e454311d5681510f50.png

Destruction at the Skagerak as Tjåland smashes home a hatrick after Abu Francis had set the ball rolling early on. Too much quality for Rosenborg’s neighbours from Trondheim, typified by Tjåland's supreme display.

9b5bb57970639a0a36ea093cee57ced7.jpg

For the third goal I can now show you how effective our compact high block is and how it works. You can see from the lines on the pitch how vertically compact our shape is with little space between the high D line and the DLF (No 10). everyone except the poacher who circled is committed into the compact high block, he is there ready to pounce and attack the space if the ball is turned over.

You can also see how narrow the side is by looking at the second line from wing back to wing back who are tucked into to help congest the centre and force the opponent wide or leave no passing options on. It’s extremely hard for the opponent to play through the lines and with a back three it’s as equally hard to go over the top as they are positioned to mop up any balls. It has an Arrigo Sacchi feel to it.

0da073d902686566ea925c85484b0233.gif

As the clip above unfolds you can see the lack of options forces the Ranheim player into a risky cross field pass, which is cut out by the narrow LWB who then breaks forward and with one telling pass plays the poacher in behind who emphatically finishes.

A swift break and it’s in the net. All coming from the compact, narrow block which forces the opponent into this mistake. This is a real example of the football that has been coined Nesselball.

It’s not a deep counter attacking system, its designed to congest play higher up but, leave enough room to transition quickly into a goal scoring position in behind the opponent, if the pass and space is there. This is one of my 4 ways I attack and like to call it my transitional attack, if you hear me refer to that this is exactly what am referencing to.

NFF_Cupen_Fotball.jpg.4b708d6a20493e765a9997d4e6bd1a87.jpg

4603d30523c22918677c901f755affa2.png

Another side deposed off in the Cupen as Bryne are brushed aside. Tonnessen finished off a nice flowing move to get his first of the season, Moen doubled the lead with a real predators goal at the front post. Bryne offered very little in attack and on another day, it could have been 4 or 5 nil.

So far it looks like the additions and promotions to first team has given us greater squad depth than the last two seasons. With players coming in and showing casing their skills to push for the first 11. Which can only be healthy especially for when European football kicks off.

5b67ff65bffbd751597411d919c157d8.png

Drawn against our first fellow Eliteserien team so, it’s vital it’s a home draw that should give us enough of an advantage to get the job done.

1285139254_Leagueheader.jpg.03026e6189b22a1dfb09bc7577b18fab.jpg

181ddd28f76091291631bff29d382fdd.png

12a8b70ac62e63331a2fc6a56d1de053.png

Once more a very dominant performance Francis in the shadow striker role this time now again puts Odd in front. Fredrikstad slipped past the Odd wall but were pegged back instantly by a nice finish from Rasmussen. Tonnessen then latched on to a header at the back post from a well worked thrown in from the right. Its now 18 games unbeaten in the league as things start to heat up...

36ad982d018b4335a33b42038a5876bf.png

A beautifully worked goal down the right-hand side with the overload working wonders puts us in front after 20 minutes (am now at the stage where I want to show a highlight a game as we are playing so well within the tactical framework)

Tjåland then blasts home two goals to carry on his incredible goalscoring form and leave stabek with a mountain to climb which they were clearly incapable of doing so.

d523ecb87a3c983c0ecdecaaa062393a.png

ed719fbbbcfe00fc846d4ac0c358baf9.png

Our second 4-0 of May and an overpowering performance makes it 6 wins on the trot. Tjåland at it again finishing off another great break down the left. Sannes takes the goal of the month which I will describe below. Another goal from the RWB this time its Borchgrevink. Then a headed goal from a corner completes the rout and Tromso are set packing back up to the artic.

4ab6048461cd0dbe382c3d20b7d4eb11.gif

Here is the goal of the month which is an instance of what am calling my rotational attack. Where the DLF drops, and the SS attacks the space directly left from his movement of dropping deep. This isn’t the purest example but will give you an idea of what I mean. There are goals were the shadow striker simply runs off I behind the space and scores. Many from the first league winning season.

The ball is worked from the left into the DLF who drops into the hole and lays it off to the SS who now attacks the space left from the DLF movement. He then lays it to the RWB, who then pitches a nice ball into the poacher who knocks it down to the DLF who has drifted into the edge of the area to smash a volley home. Great move and finish. The front two here reminiscent of Yorke and Cole like movement.

d055f5dc6d7d04f3ff27ec9fd0420f5d.png

Heat up it has! It’s a dead heat. As the Giants are now matched by new wave champions! Only 9 games in and it already looks like there is going to be another tasty title battle like last season. I still feel Molde will make inroads and become at least a three-way battle. But except for last season when it was only two teams towards the end, most seasons there has been a chance of at least 4 teams winning it come the end.

bfa1379085d7afe317a6cc2b3e4d8c16.png

a853fd1b8f6b8fa9f9a25b3ba4f0b825.png

Perfect month is rewarded as player and manager pick up monthly awards. 8 direct goal involvements in 4 games is sublime form from Tjåland, last year he stepped up a notch but this year it looks like he’s went a step further!

I’m delighted ive carried on with this now. The boredom definitely came from me thinking I had hit my realism ceiling in Europe. But what ive actually discovered is that it was actually the tactics, the overpowered 3 up front was crushing teams with ridiculous amounts of clear-cut chances (that were being wasted as well) had actually deflected from what Nesselball had been developed to be. Am now ready to tackle Rosenborg and Molde in a thrilling domestic campaign.

I’m now also willing to fight on in Europe as well and make ODD hopefully something like the Malmo 1979 team that got to the European cup final or IFK Goteborg side of the 80's that won two Europa leagues. As we chase glory….

Thanks For Reading See You Next Month

I hope all the clips are playable I would love to add more but, I know it bogs its down and makes it hard to load and read and play through.

Edited by SixPointer

Love me that tactical breakdown.  Seems to be paying dividends too.  Other than against those parked buses sometimes, I guess!

Glad to see you taking one more season with Odd.  I totally feel where you were coming from with wondering how to keep going, but it did seem like there was some unfinished business here...

4 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Love me that tactical breakdown.  Seems to be paying dividends too.  Other than against those parked buses sometimes, I guess!

Glad to see you taking one more season with Odd.  I totally feel where you were coming from with wondering how to keep going, but it did seem like there was some unfinished business here...

Yeah it’s working! Am glad I’ve went back to my original system as well. The football is incredible, its hard to remember why it became my backup system. The 343 was great as well I suppose. 

yeah definitely unfinished business Rosenberg seem up for it as well! (Update tomorrow)

glad you like the tactical break down. Will eventually be a full tactical write up series on this whole save. 

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

1163123476_OddsHeader.jpg.73b6b6a98c8e48f55ab51ad49f914b21.jpg

June 2025
header-new-uefa-champions-league.jpg.6cdb71f0ca103e9921693654703ba2cd.jpg

c6d2675df8619b31a42d42eea0d89f7d.png

6124806f694bee95c31a855cb51aacf9.png

2bde12762f5652e429068ac5c20b12b0.png

Ajax win their 5th title 30 years exactly after the invincible side. A great side that many of the players went on to be superstars in the game!

As for Odd the money keeps rolling in another 3 million which I think tales the total to around 32 million pounds made from the campaign. In terms of Norwegian football that’s an exceptionally large sum of money.

d183a583afcc60907566a094cc497a94.png

28c9cd3c95542ad5e6838afde1ece454.png

On the cusp of being in the top 50 in Europe! The league jumps one place up in the champions league slots. Really need more help from the likes of Rosenberg and Molde to boost the nation.

e6c183e376a9b1aeb8f5dca42a984bd8.png

It appears the Dutch want to conquer Europe  @Carambau will be happy to see this one!

1208621110_Leagueheader.jpg.33c54fbdab59c9fadf072a7b75972815.jpg

207cc6ba5430b0619c8b146013eee48b.png

827ce974d74d7bf06a3062898dec3db2.png

A wonder strike from Aas separates the sides in the capital! Long ball into the poacher knocked to the DLF who threads the SS into smash home from outside the box. Big contender for goal of the month. Odd now leapfrog Rosenborg in this already thrilling race!

cc550f873df19ebba29213d1c092c818.png

The magnificent 7 and 3 clean sheets in a row to go with it!

NFF_Cupen_Fotball.jpg.80dbae728fac0e5badc4398794060fb8.jpg

118ba7dc10d91904793cf4e7b6be3ff6.png

Erik Tobias Sandberg shows a touch of class as the Odd captain refused to celebrate against the club that produced him. A great header from Abu Francis freekick but it was more the classy defending he displayed that showed how far he has come after stopping his former club from registering one shot on goal.

85d5c608ef7c6da3cf3e6fa78c652baa.png

Milan watching young Moen. He has showed some flashes so far but is still trying to make the step up in class. Nuno fancies him though.

b88100789e9ae48360f7c39f5c5f7748.png

10 in a row in all competitions sees Nesselquist break yet another club record. This time breaking his own record from previous years.

b8684fc2f45c8bf98dbba0e11570d489.png

Tricky tie but at this stage definitely kinder than some of the other draws. Start knocked us out this two seasons ago so there is an element of revenge to be had for Odd.

1208621110_Leagueheader.jpg.33c54fbdab59c9fadf072a7b75972815.jpg

ed98e81e97759dd6cfae72966ff61e4a.png

Two really big points dropped against bottom of the league and a team with the worst defence in the league. After back-to-back 1-0 wins it was probably coming, a lot of wasted chances, so a little shake up in training and personnel is required.

ba2f27ca292951db8056bfa34a1efc21.png

Well, when goals haven’t flowed there’s two things Ole Martin Nesselquist can bank on. First up an angry Oscar Aga who has struggled for game time, Aga hits a double to show he still fancies breakings Odds record league goal scorer tally.

Secondly his trusty set plays that he works so hard on. The first 3 goals all coming from set plays shows how important they are. Corner, Freekick, corner. Far post, far post and near post. First one was lovely Rasmussen near post flick on and Aga attacking far post to finish. Clinical performance in the end as 9 shots reaps 4 goals!

899b188463a865e46f30cc9d6a6d8c17.png

A real big blow he has made a fine start to his Odd career, has looked a real threat, and also could defend as well. The Norwegian international will hopefully bounce back! I think this is our first really big long-term injury to a first team player which is crazy to think when this far in.

40ea13d7ddb6d8d4659335f74f66cfab.png

Another record broken 16 games unbeaten in all competitions if only we could have scored against Sandnes Ulf.

NFF_Cupen_Fotball.jpg.80dbae728fac0e5badc4398794060fb8.jpg

e4e0b5214335cbd3721a6f07eddbe8cb.png

How this game finished 1-0 is beyond me. Their goalkeeper had the game of his life nevertheless Start should definitely have been punished. The 1 goal that was scored was worth the win alone! A 20-pass move involving our overload attack I’ll try my best to share it.

e1bb5b228ca5053157607db6a6badf96.jpg

First off, all this is the overload working in its finest form. Here you can see in the black box 6v5 in Odd favour. The RPM has dropped to get the ball from the CB, The BPD has moved wide RWB is the same. But most importantly the DLF has Dropped deep and wide. (RCB, RWB, DLF all have stay wider PI) The shadow striker lingers with intent.

a27e70fc253291641164a05e5bc4006b.jpg

Already at this stage you can see how far the IK Start team has been dragged over to the overload. Which leaves highlighted now in yellow the 1v1's on the other side. The Poacher and LWB now face up their men. Okay so the Poacher could be doubled up on but then the LWB is free to arrive late and attack the space in behind with poacher highlighted in red.

5e95a13b11f4267fd78135e1e44dd238.jpg

Its 4v4 now start have shifted well and seemed to have dealt with the threat, they have sufficient cover but if the shadow striker makes his move then things could get disjointed and leave them over committed to the overload. the DLF has time to turn as well leaving number 31 really in no man’s land.

42501839223e1802f8dd450420b7f4e3.jpg

Now Start are in trouble. The 4v4 has shifted after some nice passing within the overload, and now the RPM and RWB are goal side of their men with a nice lay off and pass the RWB is free 1v1 to attack the space. The SS 1v1 to attack the space poacher 1v1 and LWB granted is deeper but if he times his run is 1v1.

89bc8362d9b924b5812d941aa555ba5e.gif

In the end only Tjåland the poacher and Johnsen the RWB needed to attack the space. Wonderful team move that shows how effective the overload is when worked properly.

Numerical superiority, dragging players out of position, rotations and movement of players, short sharp passes and attacking space in behind.

The clip probably doesn’t do it justice but ive no idea how to share a minute of the game with use all. Tried my best. This is the sort of stuff I will go into more depth on in the tactical write up next month.

a43389d0a23e439c3b031faaf0f04d88.png

HamKam would have been the preferred draw, suppose you have to beat the best to win it. Away day will make it a tougher test but Kristiansund gave been of the boil a bit lately, let’s hope it’s the same case come September the 24th.

6496b41edd1efad375b218e1528f75c4.png

181f82d2c0bc7fee1bd3cda91c237504.png

Viking held more than their own in the first half but eventually gave way in the second. 24 unbeaten 6 games no goals conceded its fair to say Nesselball is back and back with a bang. That solid base working wonders the movement in attack killing teams. This is why we stayed this is what its about.

08ad97128583219ff1250f7030730a74.png

These goals were all about a clever manager decision. Shifting the overload to the left to free up the right and play on the fact they had the LB playing as an IWB proved to be a masterstroke, as Tjåland and Sannes punished the space he left, in a matter of minutes off each other.

f96977559267685d6731dc8e8bb92e0f.png

Just shy of the halfway stage and Rosenberg have slipped up once more than us. Molde are just sitting in waiting for their moment to strike as well. Triple threat match! 4 goals conceded in 13 games it’s more like the Nesselquist we all know.

430fec7f6a7299b575e128590c008e86.png

Sitting in the Quiet, impenetrable zone is what he was known so well for in the early days, but one thing changed he’s definitely more aggressive in attack now. I fine art to balance both!

Thanks For Reading 

Be sure to join next month! Kritiansund, Rosenberg, Bodo, and champions league what a huge month!

Great write up as usual!

Glad to see your success.

Gerard is thinking of going full "Nesselquist" for the next season in the Champions League!

but the team works well with shorter passing TI and that seems to be THE real difference in the Dauphinais Variant.

Just now, Hootieleece said:

Great write up as usual!

Glad to see your success.

Gerard is thinking of going full "Nesselquist" for the next season in the Champions League!

but the team works well with shorter passing TI and that seems to be THE real difference in the Dauphinais Variant.

Thanks my man! 

the only reason I don’t go shorter or tell my goal keeper to go shorter is variation. The first goal of that month came from a long kick form the keeper. The two last goals came from direct balls from the LWB in behind. 
but we also have nice short stuff played in the overloads. It just helps me find all my different ways off attacking I try to have at least 3 ways I can score. 

14 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Huge move up in coefficients!When you are in the first 100 these moves are very difficult! Congratulations man!:applause:

Thanks mate. I think a few giant killings have helped us greatly. 

3 hours ago, Fudal said:

After Odd, I would love to see Ole ply his trade in Germany soon, playing German football it needs to happen :)

Unfortunately I don’t have Germany as playable In the save. I tend to be a one club save. Although a few people have mentioned moving on I think the next game I do I will definitely have it set so I can progress. 

i done Kaiserslautern in FM19. Took them back to champions league football. Couldn’t topple Bayern though! i also started a Hansa one in FM17 but never really got into. So I definitely have unfinished business in Germany. 
it’s also my favourite league in real life I’ve been to watch union Berlin a few times and there now my adopted German team

Nice turn around after those 1-0s and the 0-0. Sometimes the toughest teams are the bottom feeders, but if you got the height and quality set piece takers, you can exact justice! 
As always, I especially enjoy the tactics breakdowns. Like the use of roles and shape to create variety of passing as the “shorter” or “more direct” instructions often lead to one dimensional styles.

Looking forward to the upcoming full tactical breakdown!

On 08/04/2021 at 03:18, 13th Man said:

Nice turn around after those 1-0s and the 0-0. Sometimes the toughest teams are the bottom feeders, but if you got the height and quality set piece takers, you can exact justice! 
As always, I especially enjoy the tactics breakdowns. Like the use of roles and shape to create variety of passing as the “shorter” or “more direct” instructions often lead to one dimensional styles.

Looking forward to the upcoming full tactical breakdown!

Definitely find that the smaller teams can be the biggest problems. As they don’t overcommit it’s also a massive game to them. Suppose it’s what it’s like for me going to Milan or Dortmund etc. A lot more attention to go into it. 

I’m definitely a big fan of mixed passing am also a fan of not telling my goalkeeper to distribute a certain way. For the same reason. If you already have POD on there is no need to tell the keeper to play to centre backs as it’s just kills any chance of getting a ball in behind or hitting a fullback or even the playmaker. Think Ederson Man City. He is encouraged to play out from the back but if he sees a killer ball he plays it.

the full write up will Probably start after this season! Depending on how I feel about the save and if am still here working in Norway. If am back I scotland it will happen quicker as I’ll have more free time! 

8 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I’m definitely a big fan of mixed passing am also a fan of not telling my goalkeeper to distribute a certain way. For the same reason. If you already have POD on there is no need to tell the keeper to play to centre backs as it’s just kills any chance of getting a ball in behind or hitting a fullback or even the playmaker. Think Ederson Man City. He is encouraged to play out from the back but if he sees a killer ball he plays it.

the full write up will Probably start after this season! Depending on how I feel about the save and if am still here working in Norway. If am back I scotland it will happen quicker as I’ll have more free time! 

I see what you're saying about the distribution, and I agree, but I've come to about the same place but with different instructions.  Even though I always have it set on distribute to CBs (or FBs if I'm in  flat four), I have found that the bit of flexibility given to the keeper by giving him the 'sweeper keeper' role allows him to put the ball forward when the pass is on.  I have not liked POD simply because I find that the CB's hoof it if there's not someone close enough, either due to opposition press or, just as often, lack thereof when the midfield gets forward.  I also want the CBs to be looking for killer passes - especially with 3atb.  Some great goals have come off of crossfield diagonals or one of the CBs catching the opposition defense napping with a lofted ball over the top for the strikers.

That may all change if I was playing a more purely counter attacking style - you want to draw the opposition forward, so POD could help pull them out) - but even my underdog sides lately haven't really been suited to soaking up pressure.

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

1762640831_OddsHeader.jpg.c3c84488b447abeccc7093a96cf3d3e0.jpg

July 2025

e41c75582a010dd4adad18ca0812a763.png

Lithuanian champions are the first hurdle in the quest for European glory!

b453397d36dcea169c3237840e42c260.png

Which leaves the month looking very tough indeed! 3 massive league games that could see Nesselquist’s men pull clear or fall behind. No doubt the trip to the Lerkendal in Trondheim to take on title rivals Rosenberg is the showcase event some would even say it’s a SixPointer? :brock: 

0b97b2d249942f581b8377e779750fa5.png

96c6efa14904b99e313c6156db520cdf.png

A little fact that escaped my attention and a nice one for anyone familiar with the Scandinavian game. IF Brommapojkarna known for having one of the best if not the best youth system in Sweden have won the topflight. The yoyo club who are small in stature are a great proposition for anyone doing youth only in Scandinavia. What an achievement from our affiliate club.

239656824_Leagueheader.jpg.b5d2af383e6571e9f50cc58b84f4ec34.jpg

74fcec00ddf662fe3376e7ebff51f652.png

Very complete performance and an immense result. Flying start gave Kristiansund a mountain to climb, then Sandberg headed home a freekick to end all hope for the comeback. Solid at the back yet again a team fails to hit the target.

af9d3520c6959c94f32251e51aa1f5f0.gif

Tonnessen goal is the goal of the month flying counterattack. He actually lays the ball of too the right before carrying on his run into the box, Tjåland flicks on the beautiful flighted cross and Tonnessen smashes in the volley. Sweeping move and a show of how quick the transitions are.

79824422f81635516b369960a1200998.png

The team sheets are in for the big one!

8cd4ddaeabbc03e416c557f53892a6b5.png

An extremely tight affair! A well worked goal put Odd in the driving seat, but a shocking own goal costs the 3 points. The first goal conceded in ten games and we score it ourselves. I think a draw was a fair result but could easily have been a different story......

109fafe11f861d3134a446fb13afebd7.gif

Tjåland is slipped through on goal and he crashes it against the post in 91st minute. A colossal moment in the title race.

e71e4ff9246e363de121257ce319634b.png

Outstanding goalkeeping performance keeps the scores level in particular a late save from Oscar Aga which earned his team a valiant point for his team who really never troubled the reigning champions.

2c16668c02826692c529c5c06c323d64.gif

The overload is switched late on and nearly pays off. Francis intercepts and plays a deadly ball onto the on-rushing Aga, who lives for these situations ever ice cool but comes up against an inspired Andreas Linde who makes a supreme stop.

08eacb9289fa1b6ce59f65494609adea.png

27 unbeaten again really fine form this season!

cf65862684246e1bec41d5e31e296308.png

Its tight at the top! Molde come into play now only a point off the front two, With Odd up next for them makes it a huge clash. Rosenberg and Odd are neck in neck once again. The Race is on! Only 5 goals conceded Nesselquist legacy off being solid at the back has returned with his tackle set up changing back to his old ways.

header-new-uefa-champions-league.jpg.6860e4b2c59458442310a7b4ff974f39.jpg

3bc5f45f81e747ae146b473173b53d6b.png

c90774ddb6ef512aca9dac66f9cf5480.png

It looked like after a bad start that it could be a tricky tie after falling a goal behind but, Soon the power of Odd took over and in the end over two legs the Lithuanians take a severe beating. So much needed goals which hopefully will carry into next month especially with Molde up next!

2da4aac516cd5e4df3c16d742469cabf.png

By no means at all is this an easy tie. The boys from the Greek capital will be ready to fight for everything and back with a good fanbase and from an incredibly competitive league, Odd will have to be at their absolute best to negotiate this one.

5f267b18c113d2092fcb5d83e5f6b9b7.png

eb540e307d829f0d6876a0501278d210.png

@Carambau what’s this all about trying to pitch my best players? and with shocking offers as well! :lol:

Thanks For Reading

was working all weekend people so sorry for the lack of depth should be better next month!

10 hours ago, SixPointer said:

@Carambau what’s this all about trying to pitch my best players? and with shocking offers as well! :lol:

Thanks For Reading

was working all weekend people so sorry for the lack of depth should be better next month!

Haha :) We just know where to snap up those little gems ;) 

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

236469281_OddsHeader.jpg.6080bc97ab0df28b697fae89cca82921.jpg

August 2025

2047086659_Leagueheader.jpg.32ce4b0ecaba42e949cc6ac6b0be483f.jpg

8a4e5829d04d3d940a40c6e59846a0e8.png

0e92aae4323b5b75b0abe365b5b88f59.png

Another draw in which we really should have won. Pattern emerging isn’t a great one, went from scoring 3 and 4 goals to missing countless chances. 28 unbeaten is fantastic but there needs to be improvement as Odd now drop off top spot.

fa7b44b12996ad017dce26f32b222372.png

Another Nesselquist record!

header-new-uefa-champions-league.jpg.6c3f6e6c07fa06840d1c4cb9cc6a7d1a.jpg

703c9f76e22b89c5efff58667517f152.png

A big Athens home crowd wasn’t enough to stop Odd finding their shooting boots. Aga comes in and scores a fantastic hatrick showing that he could well be the man to start finishing off the abundance of chances that have been missed in recent games. Only a disastrous second leg will stop Odd progressing now.

c1c8e1ecc12ac5dec639fc19637d4451.gif

Syver Aas finishes off a lovely team move to grab the goal of the month.

29c0bcd38772186aed70b6fcf4c7f21a.jpg

A fine example showing how focussed the AEK defence has become to the playmaker with 4 players all being drawn into the play. Their shape isn’t great, and you can see how much space the CMD and LWB are in. To make matters worse most are ball watching.

50ac7a0e5e2eed25007f23b595d5c242.jpg

One simple pass takes at least 5 AEK defenders out of position due to them overcommitting to the left. Now the LWB is left with 1v1 and with space to attack. From the clip above you can see a lovely ball in behind followed by a simple cut back and it’s in the net. A simple overload executed well hands Odd a 2-goal lead.

5d528ad74e495a85d3d6a297fb5f4800.png

I knew our league form was shaking but after scoring 4 in the UCL I though we would at least take one of the chances we made. No matter what plan Nesselquist went to he came up against a brick wall. Sadly 4 years of unbeaten form at the Skagerak is over and a really poor way to lose it.

8b6bdc69d0c8b7e786ca11ca5ee92524.png

79d8c97c487429d97314279fa0c10cbf.png

The UCL is not a problem as a really tricky side is actually hammered over the two legs. The players may somehow be prioritising Europe however Nesselquist is still concerned about alarming league form. It’s another yellow side up next the young boys of Bern will be stern test!

7a5515fadb3d53f8b6c2910a63b403e9.png

Alarming indeed, its screams Liverpool falling to bits after a bad result. Defending is fine but goals are like proving incredibly tough, In the league anyway...

d613bee844fb0309c7d1f3234697ee20.png

Sandberg with a real captains performance drags his side into a two-goal advantage and 4 solid away goal. Set plays have been a huge factor through Nesselquist reign and they came through for him again. Can’t buy a goal in the league but they flow like fjords in the UCL. Advantage ODD!

9582e76a712cca3fe5e439cd41a347ec.png

Needs must as they say. Switch to the 343 provides the goals and more importantly 3 huge points to stop the rot! Hard fought win that shows we still have the character to bounce back and get going again!

87dd7e3f3909a7e187d1f78eb94febf6.jpg

Back to the 3421 and job done, but still some seriously misfiring strikers. Tjåland has went a whole calendar month without finding the back of the net. Everything else is working but strikers are missing great chances that normally see the net bulge!

4da5e1718898e0b227262e9792a15e14.png

The money is just ludicrous for a club of Odd's stature they will now be set up for years and years to come.

4bb189f145ee8676ac01255b06d3ece6.png

There isn’t an easy draw, but there certainly is harder ones. A&D are definitely stand outs as being tough whereas F or G would probably provide more chance of progression.

e4650be7c3c46e10c40b7018fcaea7b1.png

Well, it’s the Italian champions, Spanish runners up, Dutch runners up that Odd will lock horns with! I’m sure Nesselquist will be looking to the Skagerak to provide some major upsets once again as they begin their second ever group stage campaign.

7de3a541969cca62b8a12ca7aacbb090.png

10 games to go and Odds extreme loss in form was kindly matched by both Molde and Rosenberg which still keeps the dream alive, but they need to come out fighting. There is now an 18-day break until the next competitive game so am sure Nesselquist will be looking to get his strikers performing yet again. Big problem now is the schedule grows even tighter with UCL games.

Thanks For Reading

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Goal Machine's eventually hit dry spells....don't worry just grind out results until they start scoring again.

Remember you built the team as defense first!

Agreed. Those goalless stretches are the worst and it is interesting how complacency can take over when you’ve won the league repeatedly - either in the manager or the players. Maybe that’s why they kick it up a few notches for the CL? Or maybe it’s that unlike the CL foes, the league teams aren’t out to win, just not lose? Frustrating either way.

Edited by 13th Man

6 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Goal Machine's eventually hit dry spells....don't worry just grind out results until they start scoring again.

Remember you built the team as defense first!

True indeed! Just frustrating smashing goals in the champions league but can’t hit a barn door in the league 

3 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Agreed. Those goalless stretches are the worst and it is interesting how complacency can take over when you’ve won the league repeatedly - either in the manager or the players. Maybe that’s why they kick it up a few notches for the CL? Or maybe it’s that unlike the CL foes, the league teams aren’t out to win, just not lose? Frustrating either way.

I think even the manager is now getting complacent I’m ready for a new challenge will definitely be the last season but I want to go out with a bang. Not the way it’s looking at the minute 

On 13/04/2021 at 21:09, SixPointer said:

I think even the manager is now getting complacent I’m ready for a new challenge will definitely be the last season but I want to go out with a bang. Not the way it’s looking at the minute 

Ha!  Just realized how it sounded like I was trashing you with that reply.  What an [site decorum] I sounded like (ok, yeah, am).  I just find that happening to me all the time, and I know complacency can be a big issue with the players too.

Hard to go out with a bang.  I find myself quitting a save midseason often, sometimes when I'm merely close to reaching my targets.  You though, have done what you set out to do and more!  The champions league defeat last season is probably the only unfinished business...

3 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Ha!  Just realized how it sounded like I was trashing you with that reply.  What an [site decorum] I sounded like (ok, yeah, am).  I just find that happening to me all the time, and I know complacency can be a big issue with the players too.

Hard to go out with a bang.  I find myself quitting a save midseason often, sometimes when I'm merely close to reaching my targets.  You though, have done what you set out to do and more!  The champions league defeat last season is probably the only unfinished business...

Not at all my man. Totally makes sense. Last month in the league I was missing things tactically that I would normally see and solve. The fact I worked 12 hours nightshift all well maybe never helped but complacency was the main issue. Even changing from watching comprehensive to extended. But now the focus is back on. To finish strong before the next challenge 

@SixPointer Just want to say what an excellent thread. Only started reading it last night and have spent my breaks in work reading through the rest today. Brilliant to see the success you've brought. In fact, you've inspired me to start a Scandinavian save myself, so thank you for this thread!  

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

@SixPointer Just want to say what an excellent thread. Only started reading it last night and have spent my breaks in work reading through the rest today. Brilliant to see the success you've brought. In fact, you've inspired me to start a Scandinavian save myself, so thank you for this thread!  

Thanks very much mate! Glad your enjoying should be update out Tomorrow. 

who are you thinking of going? There is a lot of good teams? And all types. Some great youth academy ones.  Or fallen giants as well. Or historical sides. The main thing is I think you always find good talent.

Between working in Norway and the fact I often came here for young Bargains when I played at bigger European clubs helped drive my first save at aalesunds where I came across a 16 year old haaland. Then to this save years later were again I’ve enjoyed finding great unknown or hidden talent. Think I’ll probably do a Scandinavia team every 3 editions of the game much like Eastern Europe another place I enjoy. 

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks very much mate! Glad your enjoying should be update out Tomorrow. 

who are you thinking of going? There is a lot of good teams? And all types. Some great youth academy ones.  Or fallen giants as well. Or historical sides. The main thing is I think you always find good talent.

Between working in Norway and the fact I often came here for young Bargains when I played at bigger European clubs helped drive my first save at aalesunds where I came across a 16 year old haaland. Then to this save years later were again I’ve enjoyed finding great unknown or hidden talent. Think I’ll probably do a Scandinavia team every 3 editions of the game much like Eastern Europe another place I enjoy. 

To be honest i'm a complete novice when it comes to a Scandinavian save, so I started on the English pre-season start date as unemployed and then applied for the first jobs in that region. Funnily enough I've got the job at Odd, as they're sitting just above the relegation zone after 15 games, further highlighting the excellent work you've done. I'm using this first save as a 'look at life' if you like, to build an understanding of teams and players in this region before deciding on a main save.

Looking forward to your next update. When you're done after this season, are you looking to move on to another team in this save or will it be a completely new save and start next?

8 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

To be honest i'm a complete novice when it comes to a Scandinavian save, so I started on the English pre-season start date as unemployed and then applied for the first jobs in that region. Funnily enough I've got the job at Odd, as they're sitting just above the relegation zone after 15 games, further highlighting the excellent work you've done. I'm using this first save as a 'look at life' if you like, to build an understanding of teams and players in this region before deciding on a main save.

Looking forward to your next update. When you're done after this season, are you looking to move on to another team in this save or will it be a completely new save and start next?

Haha crazy what’s the chances! Sounds a good way to break it out. I would recommend skeid as a good youth academy team. With Fredrickstadt and lyn giving you decent fallen giant options. 

em to be honest am very much a one club save man. I always start with a clear plan and invest a lot of time in picking the right club. So unfortunately it will be a full new save. As the database isn’t set really to go higher. With the biggest league being Holland only AJAX PSV are arguably a level above. But a lot of people are asking this now so in the future I may have to consider setting my database to allow growth for the manager as well as the club 

Odds Bk Chasing Glory

508983432_OddsHeader.jpg.f34ba2cad16923578973df1b378c7642.jpg

September 2025

c7d25ec142ebb8183cc4eaa593c1ac04.png

Bad start to the month as Rossbach takes a sore one but, gives a chance to Harvard Hetle to step up and show he is ready to fight the Odd icon for the jersey.

115622033_Leagueheader.jpg.2903dcaa47feb9ac8a306ecf07d8260f.jpg

2e48c769387ff64c357862f894239e2c.png

Better news as Rosenberg drop points in their first game of the month!

0260b75cd2b68d864bae732e3cb30d07.png

Aga draws closer to being Odds record league scorer. His consistency has dropped off in recent times, however he still offers Nesselquist a great option for playing on the last man. Nice to see two clinical finishes from deadly balls in behind a real feature throughout Nesselquist’s tenure at Odd.

cee6b6230b06dfdcb1709a0cb8b2da79.png

Molde lose at home albeit to Stromsgodset which brings them right into the title trace, but mainly it sends us top now it’s a case of building momentum and not letting up.

header-new-uefa-champions-league.jpg.93fc35caad3ac2ad7abcd7f078668227.jpg

3877e969711b949a0a6d8f4590d00e67.png

The under 19's do the business in there UEFA youth league game tie. Lead by the ever-impressive Stale Richardsen best produce to come through since Syver Aas. More first-time action beckons for the young man.

4f573c6dda9c4207b8d5b73f439f6eb6.png

Not sure if this is a good or bad result at this stage time will tell. What I do know is that it was a poor goal to lose coming from their best player who was mana marked so that hurts. However, we show character and het back into the game, had our counters been finished off with more precision it would have been 3 points for sure.

5718eda91a31700418e7c7cc2104da2b.png

Crucial 3 points earned in a match that we really had to work hard at. A vert dogged Fredrikstad sat deep and forced us into many long shots. In the end a lovely worked throw in on the right left Tonnessen at the back post unmarked to head home. Last month this was the sort of game that we would have dropped points in.

NFF_Cupen_Fotball.jpg.a44555c286e7e8b9883bfd72ae3ee2f4.jpg

3d908a56dbe535887e028a5c5713fd05.png

09b645d6b2ae64b238b712d0becce1ca.png

Highly polished performance in the Cupen. Sadly, Richardsen who set up the second goal is now out for 6 weeks after having a great game. Tjåland eventually scores after a dry spell the misses a pen. All 3 goals textbook of Nesselball, Quick transitions that caught the opponents either outnumbered or out of position.

c098108e3548d5111bf884d9e2d11a86.png

7b68a0533115da644a40abb7ffa7107b.png

It’s a repeat of the 2022 final, that so Nesselquist lift his first silverware with Odd. Penalties were required that day and I’m expecting yet another hard-fought final. The domestic treble is alive and well, but this is a big hurdle in the way.

aa712455ff39a391f6c94e55080bb093.png

Incredible record that typifies what Nesselquist’s side is all about. All the way to the final and not one goal conceded. Reverting back to his famous 3-4-1-2 as the main system has really brought back some off that fantastic defensive aspects to Odds game.

2ba5709a50de0435dee27aeea2808589.png

Ruthless is the best word to describe this performance. 4 goals all well within in their tights to be considered for goal of the month. The Kristiansund game was the one that lit the torch, but I knew it wasn’t going to be long until firing on all cylinders and really take a team apart, unfortunately for Stabek they were next in the fixture list.

d92eaaed01d18b66bf2569e332282b0f.gif

Tjåland’s piledriver wins the goal of the month just purely for technique, precision, and power of the strike, No fancy tactics just a magical hit of a football this month!

header-new-uefa-champions-league.jpg.93fc35caad3ac2ad7abcd7f078668227.jpg

c3682e95e88507eb26497ed75b47f906.png

The under 19's make it 2 from 2. They look like they could be ready to challenge again in the UEFA youth league, after a quarter final appearance last season, its certainly a good start.

7cf22e22764a72fb9f9ebfda777bea66.png

Smashed in Madrid! but a clear point again that Nesselquist favours the domestic game as he went full strength against Stabek with the champions league group game a matter of few days after. He has on occasions rested his team for European football but normally when its cutthroat qualifying games. Here he sent his backups and youth players to the slaughter in a game he didn’t see a real chance in winning and with a big-league game early next month he shows us his priorities again.

097dc47ba4505a01286f3b4e9bb1a7c0.png

3 from 3 earns yet another coach of the month award. Ole martin will be running out of space for them at this rate.

769312ac9e5904dc8fe288bb7a1834f6.png

Things don’t let up in this battle to be top of the pile in Norway. Odds form puts the back in the lead but only by one point as Rosenberg rally to get back to winning ways. Poor month for Molde but they only sit three points off the lead which is testament to how close it really is. Stromsgodset are only a nice run away from putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

Thanks For Reading!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

KUTGW! 

Work delays are understandable! most of us have to work....

Either way you are leaving ODD in a good place!

Thanks man! I want to get the season over the line. Can’t finish half way through so hopefully next Sunday I’ll get my day off and get it finished. Before pastures new 

19 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks man! I want to get the season over the line. Can’t finish half way through so hopefully next Sunday I’ll get my day off and get it finished. Before pastures new 

Don't listen to @Hootieleece! Delays are not acceptable.  Work is work - football [manager] is LIFE! 

I will say though, that I am as interested to see where you go next as to how you finish at Odd.  I'm also looking forward to the tactical breakdown you promised.

On 26/04/2021 at 23:09, 13th Man said:

Don't listen to @Hootieleece! Delays are not acceptable.  Work is work - football [manager] is LIFE! 

I will say though, that I am as interested to see where you go next as to how you finish at Odd.  I'm also looking forward to the tactical breakdown you promised.

Odd will come to an end very soon! And the tactical breakdown is in the analysis stage so hopefully won’t be too far behind. 

On 27/04/2021 at 11:14, Carambau said:

No worries! Work is work. Youre doing a damn fine job still and I see quite some silverware coming at the end of the season :) 

I really want the league title. Would be disappointing to finish off the whole thing without being crowned champions 

On 26/04/2021 at 17:09, 13th Man said:

:lol:

Tactical Breakdowns...that's why I read the career updates.....so I can "adapt" other peoples ideas to my current team! 

Because otherwise I would pull a Wenger and play 4-2-3-1 Wide until the day I die!