Are populations factored into FM21?

I did a few experiments in FM20 to see if modifying populations made any difference. Spoiler alert, no. I brought the population of Glasgow down to 1000, and the population of Dingwall (Ross County FC) up to 2 million. Of course I adjusted the population of Scotland up to account for the difference. Even over 100 seasons the population change seemed to have no effect on clubs attendance, performance or success. I tried a few different variations on the theme, I moved the Old Firm clubs to small towns, and small clubs to Glasgow (as the only team in the city). I created an entirely new city with over 10 million population and moved Ross county there, then tried with a brand new club. I did this on a national level too, I brought the population of Iceland up to 50 million, they complained but we managed to pack them all into igloos and onto icebergs, and took the population of Germany down to 10,000. Even that horrific genocide didn't seem to deter the German footballing spirit however. So my question is has it been factored in yet? It's not a huge deal of course, but it's interesting to me if anyone knows the answer.

That's an interesting experiment. Would also be interested to hear how population is actually used in game - it's in the database, so it must be serving some purpose even if it isn't dynamic over time.

You would expect it to affect attendance, decisions around increasing stadium size and the pool of regens teams with access to the region receive and the money available in the area the club is in - especially for smaller clubs. 

1 hour ago, UKFA said:

Even that horrific genocide didn't seem to deter the German footballing spirit however. So my question is has it been factored in yet? It's not a huge deal of course, but it's interesting to me if anyone knows the answer.

No, it isn't directly factored. So China and India aren't the football superpower nations. The only important things e. g. for regens are "Nation Youth Rating" (The potential maximum quality and quantity of Juniors produced in that Nation) and "Game Importance" (How important football is considered to be in that Nation) when it comes to the football strength of a nation.

Edited by Tom 99