How to create a double pivot with a 4-3-3?

I've had idea that I was keen to try with Barcelona for FM21. Currently I'm 5 wins from 5 games (but unconvincing)

I'm trying to create a double pivot that consists of both Miralem Pjanic and Frenkie De Jong. I love both these players in real and really like the idea of having an extremely creative and dual playmaking double pivot. Behind this, I want to have adequate defensive cover against turnovers with Sergio Busquests, dropping into defence alongside the two central defenders to create a flat three. Then ahead of the pivot, lots of movement with aggressive fullbacks and a roaming front three. Essentially the plan is to have a 3-2-5 attacking shape or almost a kind of W-M shape. All of this within the frameworks of a possession set-up.

Essentially this:

786252165_Screenshot2020-12-01at22_10_51.png.3e3137feeee5e6f7474a7626edbefbed.png

Essentially the back five act as the base. They should be able to retain possession and recycle it very easily amongst themselves.

By doing this, you lose any movement/penetration from central midfield...

So it's important that the front five (amongst themselves) - challenge the defence in behind, roam into the half spaces/pockets, stretch the pitch and also offer easier short passing outlets for the double pivot. 

However I'm really struggling to get it going currently...

The first problem I have is what roles to use in the double pivot? I've constantly read and seen that you can't play with dual DLPs (or can you?). I currently have Frenkie as an RPM to offer some slight variety, but he drifts slightly to high in the final third for my liking (not a bad thing and he's playing amazing well in the role but it's not quite what Im looking for)

I also can't seem to get a flat three behind them with Busquets in the middle and the central defenders splitting wide either side. Essentially the central defenders covering the wider spaces.

Finally getting the right movement ahead of them has been an issue, considering I want build a possession based system that has lot of movement. Too many support duties and it can feel pretty dull/stale... Too many attack duties and you run out of space...

Current Duties for the back '5' are as follows:

729908211_Screenshot2020-12-01at21_43_40.png.fc0013ebe361baf88c0b6965e54e4afd.png

Edited by Luizinho
  • Luizinho changed the title to How to create a double pivot with a 4-3-3?

Looks from the image like you'd have the 2 CMs on defend duties to keep them back to recycle possession instead of getting too far forwards, though not sure having all 3 midfielders on defend would work. 

Simpler way to achieve that shape in possession would be to use a back 3, 2 holding midfielders in front, wingbacks high and wide, and then your 3 attackers more central. Something I've done in the past to stop the wingbacks being so cross heavy was to play them as IWB with no one ahead of them, which means they stay wide but they also have the cross less instruction so will keep the ball much more often rather than just running wide and looping one into the box. Will be interested to see if you figure it out with your 433 though. 

1 hour ago, Luizinho said:

I've had idea that I was keen to try with Barcelona for FM21. Currently I'm 5 wins from 5 games (but unconvincing)

I'm trying to create a double pivot that consists of both Miralem Pjanic and Frenkie De Jong. I love both these players in real and really like the idea of having an extremely creative and dual playmaking double pivot. Behind this, I want to have adequate defensive cover against turnovers with Sergio Busquests, dropping into defence alongside the two central defenders to create a flat three. Then ahead of the pivot, lots of movement with aggressive fullbacks and a roaming front three. Essentially the plan is to have a 3-2-5 attacking shape or almost a kind of W-M shape. All of this within the frameworks of a possession set-up.

Essentially this:

786252165_Screenshot2020-12-01at22_10_51.png.3e3137feeee5e6f7474a7626edbefbed.png

Essentially the back five act as the base. They should be able to retain possession and recycle it very easily amongst themselves.

By doing this, you lose any movement/penetration from central midfield...

So it's important that the front five (amongst themselves) - challenge the defence in behind, roam into the half spaces/pockets, stretch the pitch and also offer easier short passing outlets for the double pivot. 

However I'm really struggling to get it going currently...

The first problem I have is what roles to use in the double pivot? I've constantly read and seen that you can't play with dual DLPs (or can you?). I currently have Frenkie as an RPM to some offer some slight variety, but he drifts slightly to high in the final third for my liking (not a bad thing and he's playing amazing well in the role but it's not quite what Im looking for)

I also can't seem to get a flat three behind them with Busquets in the middle and the central defenders splitting wide either side. Essentially the central defenders covering the wider spaces.

Finally getting the right movement ahead of them has been an issue, considering I want build a possession based system that has lot of movement. Too many support duties and it can feel pretty dull/stale... Too many attack duties and you run out of space...

Current Duties for the back '5' are as follows:

729908211_Screenshot2020-12-01at21_43_40.png.fc0013ebe361baf88c0b6965e54e4afd.png

Mezzala on attack on the right

Then, personally I would prefer this system:

CF(S)  

IF(S)                                       W(S)

CAR         MEZ(S)

DLP(S)

WB(S)   CD(D)       CD(D)       CWB(S)

SK(S)

CAR- Arrive late

MEZ- Get into Opp Area

DLPS-Switch Ball to Other Flank, Dictate Tempo

All players except defend duty ones - play one-twos

Attacking Mentality

Standard Width, Slightly Shorter Passing, Slightly Lower Tempo, Low crosses, Work Ball into Box, Focus down Left and Right Flank(FM21)

Counter press, Counter, Distribute to Playmaker

Higher DL, Higher LOE, Stay on Feet, Use Offside Trap, More Urgent Pressing

This system will test your team's mentals and physicals and they need good ball-keeping skills. Basically, they shouldn't lose the ball during transitions. Hope it helps, mate;)

1 hour ago, frukox said:

CF(S)  

CAR         MEZ(S)

DLP(S)

SK(S)

CAR- Arrive late

MEZ- Get into Opp Area

Attacking Mentality

Standard Width, Slightly Shorter Passing, Slightly Lower Tempo, Low crosses, Work Ball into Box, Focus down Left and Right Flank(FM21)

This system will test your team's mentals and physicals and they need good ball-keeping skills. Basically, they shouldn't lose the ball during transitions. Hope it helps, mate;)

How does that create the attacking shape that @Luizinho wants?

On topic: You can gain the sort of shape you want by using the wingers as Inside Forwards/Inverted Wingers. That means they come into the half space and attack that - in general. Your two midfielders ahead of the DM can be just plain CM's. Using a Deep Lying Playmaker can also work, thats a pivot type of role that holds the position and doesnt wander off. The Roaming Playmaker doesn't hold position. He does the opposite, as the role gives him freedom to move whereever he thinks he can make an impact. If you want your full back to provide the attacking width and your wingers to attack the halfspaces, make your two midfielders the ones that link up the defense with attack. That means supporting the wingers and fullbacks and not move into their space. If that's what you want of course.

I myself like to create the same shape as you want. So to give some moment and variety to your attacks I like to go with something like this:

CF(S)  

CM(S)         MEZ(A)

HB

WB(A)   CD(D)       CD(D)       IWB(S)

SK(S)

Depending on your team instructions this should in general give you the 3-2-5 shape you are after. But the attacking shape depends on a lot of things; do you have enough possesion so your players can get into the attacking shape? How hard is the opposition pressing you? And so. :-)

Edited by Gegenklaus
19 hours ago, OleGunnarSolscharl said:

Looks from the image like you'd have the 2 CMs on defend duties to keep them back to recycle possession instead of getting too far forwards, though not sure having all 3 midfielders on defend would work. 

Simpler way to achieve that shape in possession would be to use a back 3, 2 holding midfielders in front, wingbacks high and wide, and then your 3 attackers more central. Something I've done in the past to stop the wingbacks being so cross heavy was to play them as IWB with no one ahead of them, which means they stay wide but they also have the cross less instruction so will keep the ball much more often rather than just running wide and looping one into the box. Will be interested to see if you figure it out with your 433 though. 

I have considered using a back three with Wingbacks. However have gone against it for a couple of reasons:

1) It would mean I'd need to play Busquests out of position.

2) Defensively I'd lose a body in central midfield. I have my two CMs pressing hard as part of the defensive strategy, so the DMC has an important role in plugging the holes vacated by them.

I'm not entirely convinced that the HB roles works as intended on FM. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but he only drops in during the initial phase of possession, when we have the ball we're in our own half. In the later phases he plays as a regular DMC. Not sure if anyone knows a a way around this?

To be honest I don't mind the crosses that are put into the box. It's just gives my team another option for us, if the centre of the pitch is congested. I like the variety that it offers (even though my team isn't exactly prolific in the air).

Edited by Luizinho
2 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

On topic: You can gain the sort of shape you want by using the wingers as Inside Forwards/Inverted Wingers. That means they come into the half space and attack that - in general. Your two midfielders ahead of the DM can be just plain CM's. Using a Deep Lying Playmaker can also work, thats a pivot type of role that holds the position and doesnt wander off. The Roaming Playmaker doesn't hold position. He does the opposite, as the role gives him freedom to move whereever he thinks he can make an impact. If you want your full back to provide the attacking width and your wingers to attack the halfspaces, make your two midfielders the ones that link up the defense with attack. That means supporting the wingers and fullbacks and not move into their space. If that's what you want of course.

I myself like to create the same shape as you want. So to give some moment and variety to your attacks I like to go with something like this:

CF(S)  

CM(S)         MEZ(A)

HB

SK(S)

Depending on your team instructions this should in general give you the 3-2-5 shape you are after. But the attacking shape depends on a lot of things; do you have enough possesion so your players can get into the attacking shape? How hard is the opposition pressing you? And so. :-)

He wants both wing-backs to bomb down the flanks. He doesn't want IWB in that system except for the fact that the right winger has Cut inside ppm and the tactic has the instruction"Overlap Right"- as this time he will have a dynamic movement in the right half-space which would hard to contain. My system proposed above will overload the flanks when used with a slow or normal tempo which would open up space in the middle for the playmaker to utilize. 

18 hours ago, denen123 said:

Mezzala on attack on the right

7 hours ago, frukox said:

CF(S)  

CAR         MEZ(S)

DLP(S)

SK(S)

CAR- Arrive late

MEZ- Get into Opp Area

Attacking Mentality

Both suggestions certainly make sense. However I don't feel either of them allow me to achieve a double pivot in the sense that I'm looking for. I have used a Mezzela on support but found that he pushes too far forward (with regards to a double pivot).

5 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

CF(S)  

CM(S)         MEZ(A)

HB

SK(S)

Thanks for this. I initially started with two Central Midfield (support) roles ahead of a HB and two BPDs. My only issue is that I wasn't sure how much impact they can have on the game using this role? Due to the way the Tactic Creator works, it's hard to understand how much creative freedom the player is given.

I could try two CM on (support role) with the following PIs to give them a 'playmaker style'. My only concern is that they're being restricted?

15821708_Screenshot2020-12-02at18_10_34.png.0fd7aa331e4481424a20b88a9d2be139.png

He's not the part of the double pivot. He s the link to your right flank. Your double pivot would be DLPS and CAR in the system. If you find IFS and CAR is too close to each other and thus creating dead space, think about changing your left CM to CMD and keep your DLPS

Edited by frukox

Just a slight update with how I'm getting on with this.

Current set-up currently looks like follows:

1994479596_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_39_54.png.a8d8963f54be222197ef9e93286f8eae.png

A couple of points:

- Attacking mentality is used to give us the aggressive framework (high line, high LOE, high individual mentality, high tempo, width, etc). All of which have been individually tweaked to suit the playing style.

- Look for overlap (left & right) is to both increase the CWBs mentalities and encourage them up the pitch (help with the front 5), but also reduces the IFs mentality aswell (helps them offer passing options for the double pivot).

- F9 is used to create space and again offer to the double pivot. (asked to roam and move into the channels)

- All of the front three (and including the CWBs) are set to roam. I found that the front three in particular do offer bit of everything (including offering short and challenging in behind).

- BPDs are asked to sit wider in possession to try and encourage the HB to drop in. I also want them to cover the CWBs slightly.

- Be more expressive is used in the absence of a true playmaker. This was done deliberately as my team is full of great players. Should provide more creative freedom across the team and should also prevent the double pivot from being too restricted :thup:

- I've reduce attacking width and tempo by one notch, just to counteract the aggressive, non possession based aspects. I don't want to play to play too narrow or slow though, so happy where they both currently sit.

- F9, IFs and CMs are asked to press more.

The double pivot are both set as follows:

670000822_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_40_50.png.96665b5142b65741f56d9934edd4f560.png

It lead to really strong performance at home against a good and inform Real Betis team:

2137895796_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_43_27.png.5ff135ed91af2a0c77922b7b0417d6c4.png

How does it look?

Well in the first screenshot I believe it looks OK (no glaring issues) - this is pretty much what I wanted:

(Blue is back 5, Red is front 5 and yellow is the HB working well)

520454261_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_29_26.thumb.png.e264721c821f4374aecc603c249f8007.png

It is however not perfect (obviously) and at times I've been frustrated by the HB positioning:

1667420027_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_28_33.thumb.png.62c4c492ce9bf5445d9f58d73ec8fead.png

So whats next?

Well I do want to improve the Possession - only had 51% of the ball in the game. Fair enough that the CWBs are aggressive and not particularly focussed on retaining the ball -  however I was hoping for 55+% for this stat. Real Betis did come to play though.

Interestingly both Pjanic and De Jong only had 86% and 83% pass completion respectively. Although Pjanic did have four key passes and De Jong had one. Perhaps I could tone down their PIs and make them more possession focussed by removing 'take more risks'?

Any ideas on how I can do this would be great!

Edited by Luizinho
13 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Just a slight update with how I'm getting on with this.

Current set-up currently looks like follows:

1994479596_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_39_54.png.a8d8963f54be222197ef9e93286f8eae.png

A couple of points:

- Attacking mentality is used to give us the aggressive framework (high line, high LOE, high individual mentality, high tempo, width, etc)

- Look for overlap (left & right) is to both increase the CWBs mentalities and encourage them up the pitch (help with the front 5), but also reduces the IFs mentality aswell (helps them offer passing options for the double pivot).

- F9 is used to create space and again offer to the double pivot. (asked to roam and move into the channels)

- All of the front three (and including the CWBs) are set to roam. I found that the front three in particular do offer bit of everything (including offering short and challenging in behind).

- BPDs are asked to sit wider in possession to try and encourage the HB to drop in. I also want them to cover the CWBs slightly.

- Be more expressive is used in the absence of a true playmaker. This was done deliberately as my team is full of great players. Should provide more creative freedom across the team and should also prevent the double pivot from being too restricted :thup:

- I've reduce attacking width and tempo by one notch, just to counteract the aggressive, non possession based aspects. I don't want to play to play too narrow or slow though, so happy where they both currently sit.

- F9, IFs and CMs are asked to press more.

The double pivot are both set as follows:

670000822_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_40_50.png.96665b5142b65741f56d9934edd4f560.png

It lead to really strong performance at home against a good and inform Real Betis team:

2137895796_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_43_27.png.5ff135ed91af2a0c77922b7b0417d6c4.png

How does it look?

Well in the first screenshot I believe it looks OK (no glaring issues) - this is pretty much what I wanted:

(Blue is back 5, Red is front 5 and yellow is the HB working well)

520454261_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_29_26.thumb.png.e264721c821f4374aecc603c249f8007.png

It is however not perfect (obviously) and at times I've been frustrated by the HB positioning:

1667420027_Screenshot2020-12-02at22_28_33.thumb.png.62c4c492ce9bf5445d9f58d73ec8fead.png

So whats next?

Well I do want to improve the Possession - only had 51% of the ball in the game. Fair enough that the CWBs are aggressive and not particularly focussed on retaining the ball -  however I was hoping for 55+% for this stat. Real Betis did come to play though.

Any ideas on how I can do this would be great!

First screenshot looks good! Busquets or FDJ would make a decent Libero, which might make take up the positions your HB isn't (though I know you don't want to use a back 3).

Re the possession: guess it depends what the issue is. Are you giving the ball away too much? Or not able to win it back? Your pass completion rate of 91% in the Betis game suggests it's not the former. You could always tick "hold shape" rather than "counter" if you haven't already, which might help you keep the ball more. 

13 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Interestingly both Pjanic and De Jong only had 86% and 83% pass completion respectively. Although Pjanic did have four key passes and De Jong had one. Perhaps I could tone down their PIs and make them more possession focussed by removing 'take more risks'?

"Take More Risks" on attacking mentality seems guaranteed to be wasteful of possession, especially when you consider that Pjanic has the "Killer Balls" PPM already. I would definitely remove that PI.

17 hours ago, Luizinho said:

AFAIK, the HB only drops into the defence to make a back three during build-up, which is disappointing. The only real solution is to.. use a back three :D

18 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Perhaps I could tone down their PIs and make them more possession focussed by removing 'take more risks'?

This would definitely work.. bear in mind you're using an attacking mentality too, so they'll be relatively aggressive in their passing anyway. 

Agree that the only way to have that back three is using 3 defenders, the central one for sure Ball playing one and maybe with "brings ball out of defence" or maybe you can try a libero. HB only works as a third DF on defence and build up play, but then he goes up in the final third.

As for the two midfielders, I use something similar with DLP and CAR, even if the carrilero drifts a little to the side, both midfielders main function is to recycle, dictate tempo and pass to the three attacking players. Mezzala won't work as he is more aggressive joining the attack even on support duty.

If you want to use the DM as a CB and not as a pivot it makes no sense to use this iteration of the 433 to me anyway. Basically it will end up with all 3 central midfield roles withdrawn, which is not something I like. I always like a bit of penetration between the lines. In fact part of the point of playing a 433 over a 4231 is you have a player who can act naturally as a deep lying pivot. Frees up the role of the other CMs. Compare to a 4231, where your choice of sensible CM partnerships is significantly more constained.

I too would be tempted to go for something with 3 at the back. 3412 type shape, where you have 3 CBs, 2 WBs, 2 CM, an AM and 2 FWD. You would have to jig your roles and duties around but you should be able to achieve the same style of football. You can have the central CB as a stopper to encourage him to step up a little when defending if you wanted. 

Thanks for the feedback all - lots of food for thought as they say.

I just played an away game to Liverpool and we lost 1-3. Went 1-0 up but just couldn't get a foothold in the game and it's only a matter of time until Mane and Salah break you down. Perhaps this isn't something that can implemented successfully. Going to have to rethink my strategy for this save and try to find another way to get Busqusts, Pjanic and De Jong all into the system.

I think all in all I’m being far too cautious!

I guess Ancelotti had a similar (ish) problem when he was manager at AC Milan. He had three great deep-lying midfielders and had to get them all into the team. All three CMs didn't offer any real penetration and instead acted as the base for Kaka, Seedorf and Inzaghi to attack space (along with the fullbacks flying up).

I guess the difference is that he went for a 2-3-5 shape (rather than a 3-2-5 shape). Perhaps something I can look into and maybe have all three as a flat three when in possession. Afterall, 3 is greater than 2.

I guess the below screenshot summed up that side:

image.png.37156a97e290be971f27bc9a3cf8cce5.png

Edited by Luizinho
13 hours ago, Luizinho said:

I just played an away game to Liverpool and we lost 1-3. Went 1-0 up but just couldn't get a foothold in the game and it's only a matter of time until Mane and Salah break you down. Perhaps this isn't something that can implemented successfully. Going to have to rethink my strategy for this save and try to find another way to get Busqusts, Pjanic and De Jong all into the system.

I think all in all I’m be far too cautious!

I guess Ancelotti had a similar (ish) problem when he was manager at AC Milan. He had three great deep-lying midfielders and had to get them all into the team. All three CMs didn't offer any real penetration and instead acted as the base for Kaka, Seedorf and Inzaghi to attack space (along with the fullbacks flying up).

I guess the difference is that he went for a 2-3-5 shape (rather than a 3-2-5 shape). Perhaps something I can look into and maybe have all three as a flat three when in possession. Afterall, 3 is greater than 2.

Ancelotti played 41212 with Inzaghi and Shevchenko up front. 

20 hours ago, Luizinho said:

I think all in all I’m being far too cautious!

Have you tried the Christmas tree formation?

you can still ask the striker to drop and the to attacking midfielders to attack the space. You could also give them the instruction to stay wide if you wanted