1 hour ago, laurentius82 said:

Said this as a tongue-in-cheek reductio ad absurdum, but started thinking it might actually be fun. So I created the club Steve F.C., located, of course, in Stevenage, England. We are only allowed to sign Steves. Should be a challenge. =) Might extend to Stevens if necessary, let's see.

SteveFC.png

Got to admit that although I don't get why you would sign unrealistic loan players so we will have to agree to disagree on that, this has amused me and I hope it leads to a really fun save.

Good luck!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

Yes, a thousand times yes, the game is still too easy. The AI is too defensive,  and won't even try to win matches when 1 or 2-0 down with 10 min to go. The AI can't build or maintain their squads, so that by the time my non-league side reaches the premier league after 5 back-to-back promotions, it's met by aging, overpaid, and unbalanced big teams. And I won't accept having to cripple myself artificially to make it more challenging as an answer. 

The Smarter AI Managers mod fixes this.

On 15/01/2021 at 04:14, laurentius82 said:

Yes, a thousand times yes, the game is still too easy. The AI is too defensive,  and won't even try to win matches when 1 or 2-0 down with 10 min to go. The AI can't build or maintain their squads, so that by the time my non-league side reaches the premier league after 5 back-to-back promotions, it's met by aging, overpaid, and unbalanced big teams. And I won't accept having to cripple myself artificially to make it more challenging as an answer. 

@freddieos@Mars_Blackmon

Yes, Mars is right, Smarter AI does not fix the fact that AI is too defensive. Only SI can fix this.

It does help *some* with AI building/maintaining squads, but it's main use is to make the actual AI tactics better, as well as player management(like rotation, fixture congestion, and morale)

I am releasing a mod that does help even more with AI squad building, but as far as AI not attacking, there is not much anyone but SI can do.

Put realistic injuries to that and you may have some slight difficulty increase bcs when your 3 top strikers are missing for 4 to 8 weeks in almost the same time window that hurts.

A happening like that killed my promotion from 3.Liga to 2.Bundesliga in the first leg of the season when i did not win 8 matches (4 of the top 5 opponents in that timespan, 3 in 7 days) in a row and what was percived as my top Striker did not score a single Goal after he was injured right again 4 weeks when he barely had recovered from the former 5 weeks of injury and i sold him off when i got a suitable offer.

In the end everything starts to look easy if you have become a seasoned Vet with profound understanding of the basics.

@Mars_Blackmon @majesticeternity

I don't know what it is then in that mod that means that the opposition is at least getting at least a handful of shots on target when playing away, something the beta and launch version of the game didn't do . It also changes so that away games against mid and top opposition is no longer a foregone conclusion, another thing the launch version didn't. And as far as squad building goes, I certainly think they are very shrewd. Sure, some clubs like Juventus still loves to sign a 34-year old or extend their contracts.

But overall it makes the game more challenging IMO. It makes it harder to just run through a league breaking points and goalscoring records along the way. 

The game is only then easy, when you play it in an "easy way".

Play it realistic, write down some homerules and enjoy.

Dont use the tacticforums, dont reload, use some files from majestic or dave (or others) ... live in the world of the fm :)

49 minutes ago, Conardo said:

The game is only then easy, when you play it in an "easy way".

Play it realistic, write down some homerules and enjoy.

Dont use the tacticforums, dont reload, use some files from majestic or dave (or others) ... live in the world of the fm :)

In other words, the game is too easy, but you can make it harder by artificially crippling yourself. ;-) When you have to make rules for yourself for example for avoiding unrealistic transfers, it's very hard to determine where the line is drawn. Some cases might be obvious but most of the time the transfers you do don't seem that unrealistic. Thinking about my current Chester save as an example, we have now had 4 back-to-back promotions from the VNS to the Championship, and I can't really name any transfers that we have done as clearly unrealistic. It's mostly free transfers of players released by bigger clubs, and a few promising youngsters from clubs in lower divisions than ourselves. The only example I can think of is that Mario Balotelli would have signed for us in League Two, but we didn't sign him because he wasn't good enough anymore for the wage he wanted. We also sold one young player to Newcastle for 12M while in League One, which of course may be considered somewhat unrealistic....

I hadn't come across the smarter AI mod before. Will need to give it a try.

Before the latest update I had a tactic that worked and I acutally won games. Now I can go entire matches and  have ridicolous low possession and hardly get any shots on goal. I am baffled people find FM21 easy. It was the same last year, and the year before that. I win games with the beta and possibly after the first updates, then it becomes unplayable. My players just gets mowed down when they go on the offensive, or the other players just do a little tap with their feet and takes the ball away from them. I lose home against newly promoted teams with no wins halfway into the season. The board hates me. The players hate me. I don't understand why I keep paying for this humiliation year after year. I guess I have some kind of brain damage.

By the way. There's a lot of criticism of FM21 on the Steam reviews, I can't say "too easy" is something I see very often when I browse through them. And in these forums, it seems to be the "usual suspects" with the opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am genuinely happy (sorry?) for those of you that are so amazingly good at this game that you breeze through seasons like it's a walk in the park, and I am not trying to troll/offend/flame anyone, but understand that every time SI makes the game harder to please people like you, they make it even more hard for me.

And no, I can obviously not learn it. I have played the game for some 25 years including CM, I have been on these forums for well over 20 years, and I've read everything I can read about tactics. Still confusing, ungraspable and scary. Must be that brain damage.

Back to CK III.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb laurentius82:

In other words, the game is too easy, but you can make it harder by artificially crippling yourself. ;-) When you have to make rules for yourself for example for avoiding unrealistic transfers, it's very hard to determine where the line is drawn. Some cases might be obvious but most of the time the transfers you do don't seem that unrealistic. Thinking about my current Chester save as an example, we have now had 4 back-to-back promotions from the VNS to the Championship, and I can't really name any transfers that we have done as clearly unrealistic. It's mostly free transfers of players released by bigger clubs, and a few promising youngsters from clubs in lower divisions than ourselves. The only example I can think of is that Mario Balotelli would have signed for us in League Two, but we didn't sign him because he wasn't good enough anymore for the wage he wanted. We also sold one young player to Newcastle for 12M while in League One, which of course may be considered somewhat unrealistic....

Why do you play the game in such a way when it is too easy for you. I think there are 2 possibilities:

1. Make it harder for you (do this! :brock:)   

2. Stop playing (dont do this :stop:)

Overall, i think some realsim settings - which we could optional use - would make the game better =  > 90% rating

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Before the latest update I had a tactic that worked and I acutally won games. Now I can go entire matches and  have ridicolous low possession and hardly get any shots on goal. I am baffled people find FM21 easy. It was the same last year, and the year before that. I win games with the beta and possibly after the first updates, then it becomes unplayable. My players just gets mowed down when they go on the offensive, or the other players just do a little tap with their feet and takes the ball away from them. I lose home against newly promoted teams with no wins halfway into the season. The board hates me. The players hate me. I don't understand why I keep paying for this humiliation year after year. I guess I have some kind of brain damage.

By the way. There's a lot of criticism of FM21 on the Steam reviews, I can't say "too easy" is something I see very often when I browse through them. And in these forums, it seems to be the "usual suspects" with the opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am genuinely happy (sorry?) for those of you that are so amazingly good at this game that you breeze through seasons like it's a walk in the park, and I am not trying to troll/offend/flame anyone, but understand that every time SI makes the game harder to please people like you, they make it even more hard for me.

And no, I can obviously not learn it. I have played the game for some 25 years including CM, I have been on these forums for well over 20 years, and I've read everything I can read about tactics. Still confusing, ungraspable and scary. Must be that brain damage.

Back to CK III.

Change your tactic? 

it’s obvious not a difficulty problem for you, you just admitted that tactics are confusing for you (even though SI have made it super user friendly to understand compared to older versions which is a good thing and not to mention the many tools to analyze your tactics...) so you have a tactic problem. 

“It’s your tactics”

3 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

I can't play the game without it. Same with the Realistic Transfer Preferences one (but that's more relevant playing leagues outside of UK). 

3 hours ago, Conardo said:

1. Make it harder for you (do this! :brock:)   

1. I do, I play different challenges from time to time with some limitations. But generally that's not how I'd wish to play the game,  imposing artificial limitations on transfers or tactics takes a lot of the fun out for me. Realism/difficulty mods, if they actually work, are a better option, as you don't have to "play badly on purpose".

3 hours ago, Conardo said:

l, i think some realsim settings - which we could optional use - would make the game better =  > 90% rating

Fully agree about this.

My first season in FM21: 4th division, expexted to be relegated, no signings: champions. 

Changed formations a couple times due to lack of options like no LB or just 2 center midfielders. No team instructions except an adjustment or two. 

My feeling in just one season is that once you're solid at the back, the AI has difficulties creating consistent danger. Sure the end of season stats may seem realistic but I never felt overwhelmed by any opponent. 

I had no issues regarding over defensive sides because i wasn't a favorite by any stretch. 

The game however feels more arcade to me than previous iterations. Even the sometimes exceptional 1-2s in the golden zone seem a bit too good and easy to achieve with a basic formation and terrible players. I don't understand though why regular CB's in any mentality and with or without play from defence hoof the ball forward even without Counter and with free team mates around.

What happens is i just play games on fast highlights since it's harder for me to read the game this year despite winning all the time... If I'm struggling with possession and the AI is regrouping faster then i slow down tempo, otherwise i use the space to counter. 

I got an average Greek team as inexperienced manager with no player or tactical changes and won the title unchallenged by dominating almost all games. So boring... I REALLY miss CM 01/02!!

Well I started with southport in VNN and finished inside the playoffs first season, lost in the final. Improved my squad in the summer and started the season well keeping pace with york city, but the last few months of the season have been tough and I've dropped to 12th in the league and can't seem to find any formation or tactic that works, 8 games to go and I'm hoping to find something that will get me back inside the play offs but I'm not holding my breath. So I'm not in the group that finds it to easy

On 16/01/2021 at 08:20, laurentius82 said:

Said this as a tongue-in-cheek reductio ad absurdum, but started thinking it might actually be fun. So I created the club Steve F.C., located, of course, in Stevenage, England. We are only allowed to sign Steves. Should be a challenge. =) Might extend to Stevens if necessary, let's see.

SteveFC.png

Make sure you use gegenpress. You'll do well.

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been any update or improvement on this front with the update or any mods.

Decided to give FM21 a miss so far, getting the itch to come back.

46 minutes ago, EazyEee said:

Has there been any update or improvement on this front with the update or any mods.

My game save defiantly does feel a bit more difficult now than it did the before patch 

2 hours ago, EazyEee said:

See here for my feedback on how my mods have made the game harder:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/547523-fm21-fm-expansion-packs-megapack-realism-dynamics-hard-mode-more-build-your-own-fm/?do=findComment&comment=12941948

since that first season, it’s harder even now. We are 3rd in the league after 8 games, but all close wins and lost a couple in a row now. 

Whatever the reason, now AI are just attacking me like crazy. They aren’t so defensive, and I find against the better clubs I am being hammered with attacks, I have to keep fiddling with tactics just to keep my team from conceding! It’s really lovely! Amazing to see.

I'm playing in a custom DB at a very low level, and this FM is the hardest I've ever played (since CM 01/02). Not sure if it's the game in general or if LLM is just harder because the players are dumb.