FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

13 minutes ago, robterrace said:

His replacement is going to cost me the same. Which is a bit annoying.

Although, I've just got rid of one of my youngsters for £30m to Ajax...

He was my top scorer last season, and he wanted to leave.

yG5VB6E.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

709.png.da24c5ef1b5e4c027a9bd4c2f3ecdb05.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Sheffield Wednesday - Championship - Season 2028/29

There was a good feeling around Hillsborough this year, the form of the team from the last half of last year had been enough to make me bullish about our chances this year. The playoffs were a heartbreak, regardless of the outcome this season, this could be the last 46 game season I manage for the Owls.

spacer.png

The first three transfers made this summer were made before the season reset, and thus are on the list for last season. Hanin will be good for a depth option but the signings of Savo Plavsic and Éderson for a combined £9 million shows that we mean business. Éderson will be our new first choice striker and Plavsic will rotate with our other two starting centre halves.

spacer.png

A busy transfer window for us as always saw us spend a decent amount of money. Key transfers were made to bring in Priestley Laight to leave the massive hole left by John Madley last year. Cheick Zidnaba came in from Juventus, a mentally brilliant player whom I don't know where he will be best deployed as of yet. Andy Broadbent also looks very good as he comes in on loan from Liverpool, unfortunately his loan was terminated early after suffering a broken leg for us. We saw the departure of Torunarigha, who at 30, I am more than happy to sell for £6 million. Long time squad member Yan Eteki also left, after not getting many opportunities last year. Callum Maloney is also a player I believe will be key for us, signing on a two year loan deal from Arsenal.

Fixtures and Standings

spacer.png

Whilst the EFL Cup run was quite forgettable, getting knocked out comfortably by Everton, the FA Cup run, well what can I say? We navigated our way to three goal victories over Championship sides West Brom and Brentford before drawing the Gunners at our place in the Fifth Round. We took a lead early in the first minute of the game, then doubled it after quarter of an hour. They pulled back to 2-2 but a strike by Calvin Inglis fifteen minutes from time gave us an iconic victory and a quarter final tie, away at Anfield.

Unfortunately, Liverpool were just a step too far for the boys. The Reds tore us apart limb from limb and really showed us why they are one of the best teams in the world. With the cups out of the way, did we finally get out of the hell hole that is The Championship?

spacer.png

spacer.png

We finally did it! We have made it to the promised land at last. All season, we were sitting around the playoff spots but with a massive run from February, with 11 wins in our last 15, it was enough to see us over the line, with one game left to play.

spacer.png

Once again, Ryan Whitaker was right up there for us and he will join us for the seventh year in a row in our first season back in the top flight. One of the top performers though was Fagius, who formed a great partnership with Valentin at the back, helping us keep a very impressive 21 clean sheets in the league. New signing Priestley Laight was also very impressive, as was Faia, whom we batted about 20 bids for him away in the January window. Oristanio also had probably his most impressive season for us yet, bagging 11 goals and 14 assists. Éderson had a decent start to his Hillsborough career but we will expect more from him as he matures.

Overall, I think we have a team ready for the challenge of Premier League football, but we will probably need some new additions to strengthen up a couple of weak areas in the side. With a budget of nearly £40 million, it is something we can definitely achieve.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield Wednesday Honours

League Two Champions 2022/23
League One Champions 2023/24
Championship: 12th place finish 2024/25
Championship: 12th place finish 2025/26
Championship: 8th place finish 2026/27
Championship: 6th place finish 2027/28 (lost in playoff semi-final)
Championship: 2nd place finish 2028/29, FA Cup Quarter Finallists

Ipswich Town, March 2022

As we approach the business end of the season I have mixed feelings about our progress. We continue to enjoy massive over-achievement - a team that was predicted to face a relegation battle is in the driving seat for the automatic promotion spot - but while our results look convincing, I'm never comfortable watching us play. Too many sloppy goals conceded; too many games where we have to come from behind to bag the points. But... did I mention that we're over-achieving? Apart from a 3-game run without a league win at the start of the year, we've recovered and continued to rack up a good run of results.

image.png.097209ee63121d27889b30e735ebd95b.png

With a number of players leaving in the January window, I was looking for a couple of decent CMs. In the event, I managed to sign one in the shape of Bristol Rovers' Zain Westbrooke and, in the space of a month, he's already become one of our key players. The other major signing of the window was another striker from Inter Milan, with Sebastiano Esposito joining team-mate Darian Males on loan. Males had long been our only natural striker and we'd relied on AMs Jackson and Lankester for rotation but when my scouts flagged up Esposito's availability - with no-one else interested - it seemed like an opportunity too good to refuse. Not only did he make an immediate impact, he also seems to have spurred on Males by providing competition for the lone striker role.

The other major news from the window was Palace's decision to recall LB Tyrick Mitchell. This left us with only one LB and I couldn't find a decent (and affordable) replacement in the transfer or loan markets, so Tristan Nydam was recalled from loan to shore up the position. Although not a natural left-back, he's capable in the role and I can't complain about his performances so far.

image.png.230764062382885452a2c1b2cc5b982f.png

Our form in the new year sees us hanging on to the automatic promotion spot, having seen off recent challenges from Derby and Forest. But we have little room for complacency, and I'm certain we'll have to maintain our good form through to the end of the season if we're to avoid slumping into the playoff spots, a prospect that fills me with little optimism.

Next up, we have an FA Cup tie that sees Sheffield United visit Portman Road. It won't be a huge money-spinner, but it should see a good attendance that will boost our finances a little. And finances are looking good: 12 months ago we had a balance of just over £2m; now we have more than £5m in the bank, so regardless of our promotion challenge we should be secure in the immediate future.

1 hour ago, smplfc123 said:

Have you contemplated whether you'll stay on should you take them up again?

The big question :lol:. My track record of promoted seasons in the PL is not great, so I'm not going to commit. But I do think I could stick with this save. It's a lot of fun, and there are no great expectations.

3 hours ago, warlock said:

The big question :lol:. My track record of promoted seasons in the PL is not great, so I'm not going to commit. But I do think I could stick with this save. It's a lot of fun, and there are no great expectations.

So close now. If I was a betting man (when the fun stops, stop and all that) I'd suggest you will get through pre-season, maybe even play few official matches, and be quitting by autumn ;)

@oakesypvfc Congrats, you definitely earned that promotion!

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Well, we're about to find out whether I can manage a promotion season:

image.png.f06cf86af5158071765673c793d331d0.png

Watford were runaway title winners, but with 4 games to go we visited 3rd place Forest and came away with a 1-0 win that clinched the automatic promotion place. Goodness knows what kind of squad we'll be able to put together. Initial transfer budget is £34m, but a lot will depend on whether I can renew our key loan signings for another season.

image.png.32d63c2f2f24695623630d6dbd8cd1d9.png

Against Derby we looked invincible, and then simply didn't turn up against Reading where we were 3-0 down before half-time. But after that we never looked back. Playing just the one game a week I was able to put out our strongest team without rotation.

image.png.f72700744d25dc42e361d96dc9e06494.png

The season might end with a whimper - our final 3 games are against Brighton, Blackburn and Watford -but thoughts are already on next season and who we can recruit to the cause.

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

Watford were runaway title winners, but with 4 games to go we visited 3rd place Forest and came away with a 1-0 win that clinched the automatic promotion place. Goodness knows what kind of squad we'll be able to put together. Initial transfer budget is £34m, but a lot will depend on whether I can renew our key loan signings for another season.

image.png.32d63c2f2f24695623630d6dbd8cd1d9.png

Against Derby we looked invincible, and then simply didn't turn up against Reading where we were 3-0 down before half-time. But after that we never looked back. Playing just the one game a week I was able to put out our strongest team without rotation.

image.png.f72700744d25dc42e361d96dc9e06494.png

The season might end with a whimper - our final 3 games are against Brighton, Blackburn and Watford -but thoughts are already on next season and who we can recruit to the cause.

Well done on your success with Ipswich so far buddy. Hannibal looks amazing for you.

Just curious as I think I missed it but what happened to Norwood as he done well for you in League 1. 

I assume he couldn't make the step up.

9 minutes ago, warlock said:

Congrats (I think). I thought getting out of League 1 would be hard enough, but back-to-back promotions with that bunch of players is something quite remarkable.

Your 'countdown to quit' clock is ticking :lol:

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

what happened to Norwood as he done well for you in League 1

He started well in the first couple of Championship games but then his form dropped off a cliff. By Christmas it was obvious he wasn't going to improve and with just 6 months left on his contract I decided to move him on. He went to Toronto in January.

7 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Congrats (I think)

Cheers :lol:. I never doubted the first season promotion, but I certainly didn't expect to do so well in the Championship. We'll see how far this tractor can take us...

25 minutes ago, warlock said:

He started well in the first couple of Championship games but then his form dropped off a cliff. By Christmas it was obvious he wasn't going to improve and with just 6 months left on his contract I decided to move him on. He went to Toronto in January.

Cheers :lol:. I never doubted the first season promotion, but I certainly didn't expect to do so well in the Championship. We'll see how far this tractor can take us...

Good luck! Norwood's form dipping before Christmas you say? Alcohol and motors don't mix well - even for tractors. Google is your friend in case I am confusing you.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Oh ok cool. I am sorry he didn't work out for you but at least you got to move on quickly.

Norwich City FC Season 1 Update

So as I stated earlier I managed to get Norwich promoted as we were promoted as Champions with 106 points and 32 wins. I only lost 4 games in the league all season. A very dominating title win with 12 points ahead of Brentford who were 2nd place.

036f8730f86b1fc1af02345a230586dd.png

1d3af33d7418d6c80327bbe54163bee1.png

Best Players

My best players were as you expected Cantwell who was my top goalscorer with 20 goals and 4 assists. 

b78c2ef1142a9646891a5e6c298253f0.png

Adam Idah made the step up this season and cemented his position up front with 19 goals and 3 assists. 

f4d1acf7541a173880c1377578b605db.png

Emiliano Buendia was awesome as expected with 11 goals and 9 assists. He is very much in demand with a lot of Prem teams after him but I am hoping the finances will be better and there will be no pressure to sell him.

7ae0491de6230dec908c4bf1d9c38407.jpg

Max Aarons wasn't much of a creative force with just 1 assist and no goals but he was very good defensively and got on well quietly in the background and performing well during games and in training.

0a185c8b05e084523be11c3183950b8c.jpg

Areas I Need To Improve To Make The Step Up To The Prem

Tim Kruel is not the man I need in goal for being back in the Premiership. He has been a good servant for Norwich but not the man we need. Neither is Orjan Nyland who only played a few games but is surplus to requirements. 

I signed talented young English keeper Nathan Baxter from Chelsea for a bargain £200k. He looks like my number 1 for many years. 

I have Sam Blair from my academy but I don't think he is good enoughf or the Prem with just 2 and half star potential.

I have made an offer for Bournemouth's Will Dennis who 3-4 star potential.

Transfers Season 1

Transfers Out

Christoph Zimmerman - £1.8m - Rangers

Alexander Tettley - £250k - Al-Ain

Kenny McLean - £4m - Blackburn

Teemu Pukki - £6m - West Brom

Lukas Rupp - £500k - Burnley

Onel Hernandez - £2.5m - Burnley

Marco Stiepermann - £2m - Swansea

Jordan Hugill - £3m - Newcastle

Matt Grimes - £5.5m - West Ham

Fees Recieved - £25.5m

Transfers In

Ricky Jade Jones - £1.5m - Peterborough

7420ae254e2caf5cb7d6fc22745041dd.png

My favorite EFL youngster Ricky Jade Jones done well when called upon but I didn't want to overexpose him in his first season. I had him either up front in the Tranquista role or on the left wing as an Inside Forward supporting.

3 goals from 6 Championship games aint too bad for a 17 year old striker. I hope to play him more next season when Idah isnt available.

Matt Grimes - £3m - Swansea

My DOF went for Grimes and I did rate him so I bought him in but he had a bit of an attitude and wanted to leave after a few months so I sold him in January to West Ham for £5.5m. Profit is always nice.

Dominic Thompson - £1m - Brentford

3de9d203999031c8d9f5733fe282708b.png

A very promising right back and a perfect alternative to Max Aarons. I sent him on loan to Sheff Wednesday for the season to get some first team experience and he done very well. He will get Premiership game time when Max Aarons needs a break.

Max Haygarth - £325k - Brentford

bbccfafa0aec54d0fbdd1ff79d87815c.png

Another highly touted youngster from Brentford. I signed him and sent him on loan to Grimsby for the season and the attacking midfielder done well with 6 goals and 3 assists in 39 games.

I am looking to send him to a League 1 team to see if he can make the step up.

James Claridge - £500k - Nottingham Forest

84613e897a3cb6f52d7d0631b1ba3cc7.pngimage.jpeg.e8885d9fae8f7566c4be382661822af3.jpeg

Definitely one for the future with 4 to 4 1/2 star potential and at only 17 years old he has the world at his feet and will hopefully make the step up in the next few years.

Joe Powell - £1m - Burton Albion

19715c1c04e824ebe88b81bc6076e3f3.jpg

I know Joe Powell very well from my Burton Albion save a while a go. I rate him highly so I bought him in and sent him on loan for the rest of the season to Luton and he managed to play 14 games and got 3 assists. 

I am going to send him out again for another season and then implement him into the first team.

Ethan Bristow - £500k - Reading

d7f07356a24b25c9181667e83f5de771.png

The very versatile, exciting Ethan Bristow was bargain at £500k. He can play as a Full Back or Winger. He done very well for my Youth Team/Reserves and I think probably give him some game time next season.

Lewis Ferguson - £975k - Aberdeen

b5f238af2264ede2f963c6cfd98001e9.jpg

Highly rated Scottish player Lewis Ferguson came in January and made one of the central midfielder positions his own and done very well with 3 goals and 2 games in 20 games. 

Ryan Porteous - £1m - Hibernian

b5f238af2264ede2f963c6cfd98001e9.jpg 

Another highly rated Scottish player. The very tall Porteous came in January and was very dominant in the centre of defense playing very well with Grant Hanley.

Nathan Baxter - £200k - Chelsea

a993bd5a3db1fc9c8156c0d289b503de.png

Baxter is very highly rated and could be my best transfer ever at Norwich when I finish my career with them. He could be my number 1 GK for the next 10 years if I play that long.

a993bd5a3db1fc9c8156c0d289b503de.png

Sorry everyone for the essay of a post but I am really enjoying my Norwich career. 

Thanks for reading.

14 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Ronaldo BeckhamNice one! An exciting team are Norwich. I just received a message from the PL Chief Exec for you. He simply said: Come on, let's be havin' you!

Good luck next season. 

:lol: Cheers mte. I am building for the future to help complement the bright young players we already.

Incoming transfers are Nathan Collins, Jeremy Ngakia, James Daly, Luke Woolfenden, Ben Wilmot, Udoka Godwin-Malife, Jacob Greaves, Ellis Chapman, Flynn Downes, Albie Morgan, Kwarme Poku and Keane Lewis-Potter who are all highly rated. 

I am looking forward to how the squad is shaping up now. 

I also wont be signing anymore players after the 2nd season is finished and will be a youth only save from that point.

20 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

:lol: Cheers mte. I am building for the future to help complement the bright young players we already. Incoming transfers are Nathan Collins, Jeremy Ngakia, James Daly, Luke Woolfenden, Ben Wilmot, Udoka Godwin-Malife, Jacob Greaves, Ellis Chapman, Flynn Downes, Albie Morgan, Kwarme Poku and Keane Lewis-Potter who are all highly rated. I am looking forward to how the squad is shaping up now. 

I also wont be signing anymore players after the 2nd season is finished and will be a youth only save from that point.

I like the choice of Collins, Ngakia and Poku. All of the transfers are a bit of a punt (including Poku) but you have to take that chance if you don't plan to make any more signings. Best of luck on that.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

I like the choice of Collins, Ngakia and Poku. All of the transfers are a bit of a punt (including Poku) but you have to take that chance if you don't plan to make any more signings. Best of luck on that.

They all have high potential so I am kind of hoping if they get regular game time they will hopefully make the step up.

We will have to wait and see. I kind of want to do 10 seasons with Norwich to see how they all end up doing at Norwich.

I just got this in my inbox which sends shivers to spine @Jogo Bonito and @warlock

cf652b75d16416fe9ba630269f6a0534.png

3 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I just got this in my inbox which sends shivers to spine

Run away, run away!!

"Ashley revealed that he was delighted by the deal and indicated that he wanted to make a difference for the fans at Carrow Road". Well, he certainly made a difference for the fans at St James's Park :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you!

14 minutes ago, goonergez said:

This thread may have to change to premier league thread soon with the amount of promotions going on in here! Some cracking work by all though!

Yeah I usually get bored as soon as I get promoted to the Premiership but I really want to try build a dynasty with Norwich.

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Run away, run away!!

"Ashley revealed that he was delighted by the deal and indicated that he wanted to make a difference for the fans at Carrow Road". Well, he certainly made a difference for the fans at St James's Park :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you!

Yeah cheers mate. It did make my laugh but it is annoying me now as he is rejecting any board requests I put in.

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

You could always do another Burton save buddy or maybe do a save with a team like Leyton Orient etc.

I put a lot of effort into saves, redoing it again sounds like a mare. 

I'm going to fire up the leagues and maybe start unemployed and see who offers me a job. 

6 minutes ago, StePratt said:

I'm going to fire up the leagues and maybe start unemployed and see who offers me a job. 

Yeah a journeyman save is always interesting as you don't know where it will take you.

I hope you enjoy your save.

49 minutes ago, StePratt said:

Wrexham is an interesting one now...  easily one of the best budgets in their league now they have hollywood stars as owners, and a great team to propel up the leagues

25 minutes ago, oakesypvfc said:

Great work on the promotion @Ronaldo Beckham, wish I could escape the Championship as easily as that :lol:

Good luck with Mike Ashley though, you might just need it :D

Yeah I will definitely need it lol.

4 minutes ago, StePratt said:

Wigan have offered me a job on day one. I've delayed it for a week. Could be a fun save.

Wigan is a very interesting project especially with the bad financial situation.

Another option would be Sunderland if you can find a file where they have their new billionaire chairman.

2 hours ago, Welshace said:

Wrexham is an interesting one now...  easily one of the best budgets in their league now they have hollywood stars as owners, and a great team to propel up the leagues

Agreed that Wrexham have now become an interesting choice. Is their team that great though? Good for the level, but the new owners are doing it more by bonus than big fees & wages aren't they?

A similar club is York (without Hollywood owners of course). I've just completed my first season and due to the new stadium, attendances & revenue streams they make a stack of money in a non-Covid world. The season 1 starting budget is naturally just set realistic for VNN but after one year the club balance sits at over £1m and I've been given a transfer budget of nearly £600k for season 2. This is prior to the winter update so I don't know if that still happens. 

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Wigan is a very interesting project especially with the bad financial situation.

Another option would be Sunderland if you can find a file where they have their new billionaire chairman.

On 21.4 the new owner is in the game at Sunderland. Wigan is still under embargo with administrators though @StePratt. I think they improved their squad a little in the new update too.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

15 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Agreed that Wrexham have now become an interesting choice. Is their team that great though? Good for the level, but the new owners are doing it more by bonus than big fees & wages aren't they?

Much like the plan is in real life, the owners in game are : (spoiler contains hidden info about owners suggar daddy status)

Spoiler

back end sugar daddies

meaning they will put money in to be a force within the league they are in.. i.e any league they are in, they will support you in being the best.

Well, this was an unexpected start to life in the Premier League. We were 0-1 down inside 15 minutes, and then...

image.png.d6718e3065cf69a088f6357f9f229893.png

A very flattering score - there was little in it in terms of possession, shots or xG, and the Downes brace came as we picked them off on the counter. But I'll take it :lol:

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

An Interesting 1st Game Of The Season

Lost your concentration and threw it away!

1 hour ago, robterrace said:

This is the most amount of passes

Unbelievable, Jeff!

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Great start

Ah, but how quickly reality bit :lol:

image.png.58af845a0d790727f07ea3ab4b6925eb.png

A narrow defeat to Leicester (I'll take that!), an away draw at Forest (I'll take that!), and a super win in the first East Anglian Derby for donkeys (I'll definitely take that!!) We'll quickly gloss over the spanking at the hands of Chelsea. I have no idea what to make of this squad - we're all over the place. We look fine in one game, utterly lost in the next. Hannibal is the only player I'm really happy with, and I need a new tactic - the 4231 is great when it works, but I'm convinced it won't work often at this level.

In terms of recruitment, I managed to find a couple of good players, and a couple of decent prospects, but by the end of the window I was desperately plugging holes with anyone who looked like they might do a job. First job was renew the loans of our key players, and we were able to do that with strikers Males and Esposito, AM Hannibal, and star CB McGuinness back for another year. And before the window opened I made moves for three urgent requirements - a backup LB in the form of Leeds youngster Leif Davis; rotation/cover for AMC in Feyenoord's Francesco Antonucci; and a decent AMR, in Rangers' prospect Kai Kennedy.

The biggest need after that was at RB. With only 2 loans from the Premiership allowed, and those filled by Hannibal and McGuinness, we lost our best RB in Wolves' Mathieson. So I signed Luis Perez from Valladolid as starter, and Stoke's Tom Edwards as backup. Most of my CMs were struggling so I turned to Motherwell's Allan Campbell to add a bit of spine in the middle. We were also lacking quality out wide so as a final throw of the dice I brought in Milan's Daniel Maldini on loan. Of all the new signings, Perez and Antonucci look good; Davis and Edwards will probably develop, but Kennedy and Campbell have been disappointing so far.

We came close to some very good signings but work permits, unreal wage demands, and player snobbery put paid to most of them.

For a first month, August didn't look too bad but September is going downhill quickly. We are out of the Carabao Cup at the hands of Championship side Sheffield Wednesday, and followed that with a humiliation delivered by Manchester United. Next up is a visit to Everton and I don't see much cause for optimism there. Player morale is poor, and the fans and media are already on my case :rolleyes:

On 22/03/2021 at 16:28, Jogo Bonito said:

Your 'countdown to quit' clock is ticking :lol:

Tick, tock, tick, tock....