FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

After reading that Ipswich update is it sad that Im excited to finish work at 5, get home and begin my Summer rebuild for the Championship with Sunderland, Im 41 :lol:

As another mini update I ended up finishing the season and was given £9 million to spend for next seasons budget. Again as a disclaimer I updated finances at the beginning of my save to take into account our new owners and added a couple of million to our balance.

The race for 2nd place was fascinating to watch, Ipswich, and Bristol Rovers were all on the same points and Hull was a point behind in 4th. Id have loved to have seen Bristol go up (no offence Ipswich fans). All 3 teams won on the final day but Ipswich went up on goal difference.

Edited by Mackem742

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Mackem742 said:

All 3 teams won on the final day but Ipswich went up

Quite right, too :lol:

£9m gives you quite a lot of room to improve... I'm rather envious of that. But to be fair, I started the window with about £2m and I've still got about £900k left. The usual situation where there were a lot of players I could have bought but couldn't afford their wages, and a lot of players we could afford but who wouldn't stoop so as low as relegation battlers in the Championship.

I like your enthusiasm for the window, but personally I hate promotion transfer windows. Yes, it's a chance to improve the squad but as often as not I seem to back the wrong players, or I'm too cautious and don't do enough. Good luck with yours :thup:

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Quite right, too :lol:

£9m gives you quite a lot of room to improve... I'm rather envious of that. But to be fair, I started the window with about £2m and I've still got about £900k left. The usual situation where there were a lot of players I could have bought but couldn't afford their wages, and a lot of players we could afford but who wouldn't stoop so as low as relegation battlers in the Championship.

I like your enthusiasm for the window, but personally I hate promotion transfer windows. Yes, it's a chance to improve the squad but as often as not I seem to back the wrong players, or I'm too cautious and don't do enough. Good luck with yours :thup:

Yeah I think £9 million is too much. Id be interested to know how much we would have got with the latest update and the new owner actually on the game. 

Im the same, I tend to buy quantity over quality. I fall out with players so easilly and I blast them if they have had a bad game which usually ends in poor morale and the players wanting to leave. I think thats the hardest part about managing the club you support, any poor performances affects me too much and I berate them. I do have a core of players that I want to keep around though and build the team around them. Im going to take a look at that Hannibal kid from Man Utd as thats twice Ive heard his name crop up today. Im also looking for a new goalkeeper and striker as Ive already secured last seasons loanees for another season, Sanderson from Wolves, Jordan Jones from Rangers and an American leftback from Fulham whos name escapes me right now.

Just loaded the game up and one of the first news items was this :eek:

20210318180200_1.jpg.5528891ff5a7d87c551afc0453e9152b.jpg

Edited by Mackem742

Just started a network save with my mate, he is Sheff Wed and im Barnsley. Hes flying and im struggling. The average age of the squad is just 23! Some good looking youngsters in the squad but deffo need to add some experienced older heads.

2 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

one of the first news items

Looks like your £9m was a massive underestimate :lol:. Let's hope it gets resolved quickly - I've had those takeovers last all the way through the transfer window and it utterly screws things up.

@Mackem742Well done on promotion and good luck with your summer business. I fear it's going to be revolution rather than evolution with that budget, but try to restrain yourself with quantity :)

@warlockMost of that business looks fairly sensible to me. And you've made a cracking start. Regarding Hannibal, most of the population has grown hair like that in the last three months of lockdown :lol:

29 minutes ago, warlock said:

Looks like your £9m was a massive underestimate :lol:. Let's hope it gets resolved quickly - I've had those takeovers last all the way through the transfer window and it utterly screws things up.

It actually went through fairly quickly, transfer budget hasnt increased but pre season hasnt started yet so it may go up again.

29 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Mackem742Well done on promotion and good luck with your summer business. I fear it's going to be revolution rather than evolution with that budget, but try to restrain yourself with quantity :)

Cheers, this has never happened to me before with Sunderland so Im going to enjoy it :lol:

Ipswich Town, November 2021

Our dream start continues...

image.png.014aa26b2fbdb1bf1bc58faed24c3436.png

The home defeat to Luton was a disappointment - they scored early and shut up shop; we couldn't break them down. And we emerged from our cup defeat to Leicester beaten but unbowed, losing to a 78th minute goal after a classic Vardy breakaway.

Some questions about the squad are slowly being answered: Norwood may be past his best, and Downes has still failed to convince. But my biggest problem is Edwards who has provided a single assist in 11 appearances, which just isn't good enough for a winger. All three are under threat come January.

image.png.5d123774378ea60021fe681afb32a117.png

Tried to sign Hannibal on loan from Man Utd but they are no longer willing to loan me players as I didnt play Elanga in the position they wanted me to last season and they recalled him to stick in their reserves.

He was playing every game for me but never went on loan to anyone else and didnt get a look in at Man Utd. It doesnt make sense to me but I love these little story elements to games, Man Utd fans dont really like us in real life anyway :lol: Hopefully ill be rivalling them at the top of the Premier in a few years time.

We've taken to the next level like a duck to water (as have fellow promotees Bognor)...

tab3.JPG.587c18f8f928ab8da3434b1144ae4be6.JPG

Culminating in the board offering me a three-year contract, which is the longest I have ever signed at this level.

Our next two fixtures are Bromley (a) and Hampton & Richmond (h) which should give us a great idea of whether we are genuine challengers or just on an early season blitz.

Irish marksman Gary Fitzpatrick has picked up where he left off last season, with 11 goals and five MotM awards so far. He is possibly the most natural finisher I've ever managed - it's like watching RvN every time he gets a sniff in the box, in the corner every time.

Slow progress currently with Vale. Busy at work so not a lot of time as we head through the summer period after promotion to the Championship. 2022/23 season starts very early due to the World Cup being in December so less time to get transfer business done.

A few additions so far, most notably the return of Bobby Thomas on loan from Burnley for a third season, Jordan Stevens being added as a permanent signing from Rangers after his successful loan stint (although got injured right at start of pre-season) and the acquisition of Josh Pask from Coventry for a fee which will rise to £375k (by far biggest spend yet). A few youngsters have also joined, including two highly rated 16 year old midfielders from Crusaders and Morton.

One of the challenges is balancing the demands for higher wages. I'm determined not to break my proposed wage structure and can't afford to bring people in on high wages.

With a number set to leave on free transfers, most likely also going to include Cullen and Conlon as well it seems who have been important players for past two seasons (along with likes of Worrall, Oyeleke and Burgess) there are still a number of signings needed. 

In particular, I would like a left back, central midfielder and a couple more players to play in front three positions. Trueman is also unhappy as I haven't offered him a new contract since I am not convinced by his ability to play in the Championship, so may need a keeper too. Busy few weeks before the league season kicks off.

Norwich FC Preview

image.png.aeb3a3eecbe3db8d90099be7c54c8f44.png

So as you gathered from my last post in here I have decided to start a new save with Norwich with me only signing British players who are under 21 and trying to get as many youngsters from the academy playing first team football.

My aim is to try win the Champions League or Prem with an all academy team.

Here is my reccommended best eleven.
f2aed491155d9117b339a946eea83d2e.png

Some of the high earners and Non British players will be going which includes Pukki, Hernandez etc but no transfers out over the summer unless a team puts in a big offer. The reason for this as I don't want to disrupt the team too much and just let it happen naturally over time.

I will try keep Max Aarons at all costs but if I have to sell him I will not sell him for no less then £50m.

The main parts of the Club Vision suits what I want to do so it works out well for me.

8ee7a695dc4cc4941a22e451606d2e3e.png

My tactic replicates Pep Guardiola's tactic when he was at Barca. This tactic really suits Buendia and Aarons who are my 2 best players.

1da191ba9866080cb04ef985a9532004.png

First thing I did was extend Max Aarons contract as I had a clause to trigger a 1 year extension and I took it even though he had 3 years left on his deal.

I don't know how long I will be able to keep Buendia as Chelsea and Arsenal are interested already.

013b488f06f9e797fd7a5d9cb7e2111d.jpg

My finances are very misleading with £46 million in the bank but the club is projected to fail FFP which will probably bring a points deduction that is not what I want.

39f53c6058822b7dcaa89e5561f0ea52.png

Ideally I need to make £20 million from player sales for this season before I even spend a penny.

ce78352920c4b0c758b08678bb17c367.png

The wage isn't that bad with my highest earner being on loan defender Ben Gibson who I am paying £28k per week. I will look to terminate the deal in January.

Anyway I will update once the transfer window is over.

So.

Quick look at stuff in the Championship in the run up to January 2023.

ftTXNyG.png

24 unbeaten. Some close shaves, however, we are doing better than I thought we would.

Leading the line is Fiete Arp.

The on loan German has 16 goals (3 assists) in 20 appearances, ably supported by Jayden Braaf (11 goals, 9 ass) and Peque (10 goals and 11 assists).

Midfielder Matko Miljevic has provided 2 goals and 10 assists from the #10 position.

One signing for the future has been made, with 16 year old centre back, Ian Fitzgerald being spotted at Cambridge, where he has made several appearances, and appeared for the England U19 team.

6niWTtD.png

3 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Jogo Bonito have a guess what EFL team I am going to do a save with next from this photo lol.

I've got to be honest, I genuinely thought why is Steve Evans in a tracksuit? And a yellow and green one at that. And why would you choose Gillingham? Good luck at Norwich.

@warlockSteady progress with Ipswich, keep those tractors revving.

@Dave92Windows after such promotions are tough, but you defied the odds last season so why not again.

@robterraceFitzgerald looks great in every aspect other than leadership. Nice signing.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I've got to be honest, I genuinely thought why is Steve Evans in a tracksuit? And a yellow and green one at that. And why would you choose Gillingham? Good luck at Norwich.

@warlockSteady progress with Ipswich, keep those tractors revving.

@Dave92Windows after such promotions are tough, but you defied the odds last season so why not again.

@robterraceFitzgerald looks great in every aspect other than leadership. Nice signing.

Yeah I am just as fat as Steve Evans :(

5 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Steady progress with Ipswich

Still waiting on the rude awakening, but we'll enjoy it while it lasts. Lot of players regressing now - Bishop, Dozell and Lankester have been downgraded in coach reports. Together with Norwood and Edwards, they all seem to have reached their ceiling.

Same issues with Ipswich really. Great club, not great players. Look at most of them, they have been there years and never developed, some of them have hardly played any games over a long period of time etc. Just not good enough for a club with such fine traditions.

10 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great club, not great players... Just not good enough for a club with such fine traditions

You're not wrong, but there will be changes. As soon as I get some decent transfer budget :rolleyes:. Hoping for a takeover, although there's only been the mildest of rumours so far.

Are you focused on Parma? I'm waiting (im)patiently for news from York :)

16 minutes ago, warlock said:

You're not wrong, but there will be changes. As soon as I get some decent transfer budget :rolleyes:. Hoping for a takeover, although there's only been the mildest of rumours so far.

Are you focused on Parma? I'm waiting (im)patiently for news from York :)

Well it's a good club for slow progress at least. Yes, trying to finish season 3 with Parma then will flip back to York and finish season 1.

Still haven't started anything on 21.4 yet.

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Thanks.

He cropped up as a scout recommendation, so I thought I'd take a look. No one else was interested, so I've taken the chance on him.

Jumping on the EFL bandwagon with my final FM21 save.

Had a 12 season save running from the Beta with Northern Irish side Ballyclare Comrades before moving to English Prem Fulham, played a season and regretted my decision.

So restarting in the EFL with an old FM19 favourite save of mine with Peterborough. 

10 hours ago, warlock said:

Still waiting on the rude awakening, but we'll enjoy it while it lasts. Lot of players regressing now - Bishop, Dozell and Lankester have been downgraded in coach reports. Together with Norwood and Edwards, they all seem to have reached their ceiling.

I always rated Dozell and Lankeseter, however, Dozell seems to have been set back massively with a couple of injuries in recent years.

3 hours ago, HiggyTMT said:

Jumping on the EFL bandwagon with my final FM21 save.

Had a 12 season save running from the Beta with Northern Irish side Ballyclare Comrades before moving to English Prem Fulham, played a season and regretted my decision.

So restarting in the EFL with an old FM19 favourite save of mine with Peterborough. 

Good luck with Posh. You should get goals, goals, goals with their attack.

43 minutes ago, robterrace said:

I always rated Dozell and Lankeseter, however, Dozell seems to have been set back massively with a couple of injuries in recent years.

They have hardly played over years, just like Bishop, Huws, Morris etc. Even Hyam and Kenlock hardly seem/seemed to play. Injuries to most of them yes, but you could go back a number of years and be at exactly the same point with most of these players.

6 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

They have hardly played over years, just like Bishop, Huws, Morris etc. Even Hyam and Kenlock hardly seem/seemed to play. Injuries to most of them yes, but you could go back a number of years and be at exactly the same point with most of these players.

Is it a case of expecting too much of them too early. It seems that a lot of the Ipswich youngsters over the years, have struggled when it comes to making that final 'big' step.

Reinvestment of the money received for Luca Campanile has continued, with a signing finally being made. 

A trip North of the Border to Aberdeen to pick up young wing back Callum Ramsay for £3.1m (had to hit his minimum fee release), saw the 19 year old join on a 4 and a half year deal. Lots of potential to fill, and he will learn from Luke Ayling in the meantime.

fm_wLuShTIDe5.thumb.png.8c5b73ba5790b8007f305e029242356e.png

4 hours ago, robterrace said:

I always rated Dozell and Lankeseter

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Bishop, Huws, Morris etc. Even Hyam and Kenlock hardly seem/seemed to play

Just had a quick look and was surprised to see how little they did play. In the 3 seasons before I took over, total appearances were:

Dozell: 30

Bishop: 31

Kenlock: 44

Huws: 22

Hyam: 35 (18 at Southend)

Lankester: 11

That's out of a possible total of ~150 matches.

So.

In deals I wasn't expecting to happen..

8bvxXbP.png

His replacement is Jose Marsa, who has been playing as 3rd choice CB, however, playing alongside Rodrigo Caio will allow the elder player to give him the benefit of his experience.

image.thumb.png.4322feb7d1dee757598b8f75944a44f5.png

Chadi Riad, who joined from Barcelona in the summer, comes into the first team reckoning.

image.thumb.png.bcd45a97b8516847d70cb16a59ab72c7.png

Lewis Neilson returns from his loan at Sunderland, having gained experience there in the 6 months he had there.

ZYWSeXv.png

Ipswich Town, January 2022

While we have stuttered from time to time, we've generally maintained our good form through the winter to date:

image.png.9e9291189b596ec456324b9e74977a94.png

Only the defeat to Brighton was questionable - despite the strength of their squad they've struggled this season and lie in mid-table. Southampton and Watford were clear favourites with their top quality squads, with the latter enjoying a comfortable lead at the top of the division. We're continuing to score from all positions, which is just as well since key striker Darian Males has failed to find the net since a hat-trick at the end of October. I've resorted to playing Jackson in rotation up front and he, at least, bagged a few in December. Our main supply of goals has come from the AMC position where Hannibal and El Mizouni are rotating.

The January window will see a number of players leaving. All of them have failed to perform and with contracts expiring in the summer, I decided to cash in while I could. They include striker James Norwood (£56k), RB Kane Vincent-Young (£375k), CM Teddy Bishop (£140k) and AMR Gwion Edwards (£425k). All are bound for Canada and Toronto FC, except Edwards who joins Sunderland. CMs Flynn Downes and Jon Nolan may yet join them but the potential difficulty in finding 3 CMs in the January window is a concern.

The fees earned give me a transfer budget of around £2m, and a wage surplus of some £50k a week, but it's proving difficult to identify likely transfer targets. There are plenty of defenders available, but that's the one area I don't need to worry about; there's slim pickings as you move further forward, with a couple of solid CMs the main requirement.

image.png.18b833a0a6cdd7536f39182b9b1259d0.png

Watford have a 6pt lead going into the new year, but it's very close in the chasing pack and we have little margin for error if we are to hold onto a playoff place. We are, I believe, at least safe from relegation :lol:

Has anyone had any success using Ryan Edmondson in the football league on this years FM?

I'm playing an online save and in our 4th season I believe it was, my friend managed to get Edmondson banging in over 50 goals! Couldn't believe it, as I'd never seen a goalscoring record like it before on any FM saves I've done.

@warlockDoing very well still despite the lack of striker goals. Maybe Lewis Ferguson could be your new John Wark? I could suggest a Dutch winger probably on a free transfer but Brexit probably wouldn't help on the WP. Still very tight there down to mid-table.

@Ronaldo BeckhamMaybe instead of losing a star, how about two or three non-essential players? Check the ones out on loan too, offer them out for transfer and see if there is any interest?

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@warlockDoing very well still despite the lack of striker goals. Maybe Lewis Ferguson could be your new John Wark? I could suggest a Dutch winger probably on a free transfer but Brexit probably wouldn't help on the WP. Still very tight there down to mid-table.

@Ronaldo BeckhamMaybe instead of losing a star, how about two or three non-essential players? Check the ones out on loan too, offer them out for transfer and see if there is any interest?

Yeah I have sold as many players as possible that weren't playing or just didn't fit my squad DNA.

I have made £66m in player sales so far this season and only spent £23.5m on players.

I signed Matt Grimes for £3m in the summer and sold him in January for £5.5m. 

38 minutes ago, robterrace said:

Ouch. I'd say Buendia, but, at the same time, hes probably the biggest output for you.

Yeah by proxy it will probably be him as I am trying to have a team full of British Under 21's so he doesn't fit my strategy but I wont put him, Cantwell, Aarons or Idah up for sale in case it disrupts the squad harmony or if I get a good offer for either player I will probably have to accept it sadly.

Norwich City FC Season 1 Update

image.jpeg.23d7e596f2490818fe6b4861e6c63b6c.jpeg

I am currently 3rd place coming to the end of January with Norwich only 2 points behind 2nd place Watford and 1st place Brentford.

f35dda9463de22ea4e5c7be49f1e959c.png

Young striker Adam Idah is current top scoer with 7 goals in 19 games. 

With my tactic having a Tranquista up front it is a role Idah isn't suited for but he is getting better in the role and at only 19 years old he has plenty of time to get better and adapt to the new role.

68e2f2d190a80b51137e30dcda4a2c95.png

My overall best player has been Emiliano Buendia with 5 goals and 6 assists. He is too good for the Championship and should be playing for a top 4 Prem team.

ad6cb445fca1d5b9dac45095c6f44d36.jpg

Kieran Dowell has also been very good for me with 4 goals and 5 assists. He plays very well on the left or right wing. 

b7054586abc9a6826871569495f11557.png

Max Aarons has been very consistent so far and always performs well and works hard in training. 

c3395253ec24a816aa736b7160b8e76d.jpg

3 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I am currently 3rd place coming to the end of January

Looking good! Your progress sounds similar to my save with Norwich, although I lost Buendia in the January window to a £40+m offer from somewhere in China. Dowell was the standout player for me, but he couldn't make the step up to the PL.

Good luck with the rest of the season :thup:

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Maybe Lewis Ferguson could be your new John Wark?

Interesting! I've long pondered the Wark role - basically a holding midfielder who scored thousands of goals :eek:. Not sure how to recreate that in FM, but Ferguson sounds like a decent suggestion.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Looking good! Your progress sounds similar to my save with Norwich, although I lost Buendia in the January window to a £40+m offer from somewhere in China. Dowell was the standout player for me, but he couldn't make the step up to the PL.

Good luck with the rest of the season :thup:

Cheers buddy. I appreciate you giving me the heads up on Dowell. If I get promoted I might look to move him on in the summer.

I have had no offers for any of my big players so I am just hoping I get promoted to the Prem to help with the finances.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

Interesting! I've long pondered the Wark role - basically a holding midfielder who scored thousands of goals :eek:. Not sure how to recreate that in FM, but Ferguson sounds like a decent suggestion.

Soucek is the nearest replica currently but a touch over your budget :lol:

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Cheers buddy. I appreciate you giving me the heads up on Dowell. If I get promoted I might look to move him on in the summer.

I have had no offers for any of my big players so I am just hoping I get promoted to the Prem to help with the finances.

Boom or bust maybe. Hope it works out well for you.

@robterraceGreat fee for Mighten.

11 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

a touch over your budget :lol:

As is Ferguson - they want £4m for him :(

It's turning into a frustrating window... targets agreeing contracts and then signing for other clubs. And I can't decide whether promotion matters or not - PL money would be fantastic, but the squad is overperforming in the Championship and I suspect we'd be thoroughly embarrassed at the top level. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much we can strengthen the squad in another season in the Championship :confused:. Just have to keep plugging away...

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

As is Ferguson - they want £4m for him :(

It's turning into a frustrating window... targets agreeing contracts and then signing for other clubs. And I can't decide whether promotion matters or not - PL money would be fantastic, but the squad is overperforming in the Championship and I suspect we'd be thoroughly embarrassed at the top level. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much we can strengthen the squad in another season in the Championship :confused:. Just have to keep plugging away...

Sounds tricky. Match fixing officials are getting their vehicles prepared...