FM21: The English Football League thread

warlock

5 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

BTW wanted to check - is anyone facing a big issue with the player ratings? I haven't played in over a week, and my friend said it was ruining the game for him.

It's funny you say that as this is my first experience on the full game and I was thinking my player ratings are quite low for a team doing reasonably well. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Step away for a week and everyone is at a new club :lol:

I just caught up with all the updates - great stuff all !! 

Shout out to @Ronaldo Beckham for the most ridiculous sacking I have possibly ever seen on FM - they need to get that fixed.

Cheers mate. I hope I beat Bristol City in every EFL save I have now lol.

Barry Fry's Birmingham City FC Season Update

image.jpeg.506d4c9cca5507e6af007f7bfe3b6dec.jpeg

image.jpeg.75ac29894931749d60dffaba8e37385f.jpeg

I think in a previous life I was Barry Fry as he embodies how I like to manage on FM. Buy loads of players cheap and sell them on a year or 2 later for profit hopefully lol.

So this is what I did. I got rid of a lot of non-English players as I want to play as many ex Birmingham youth players as possible. 

I searched for players who trained for Birmingham City from the age of 0-21 and scouted them. I signed the ones that were over 2 star potential or more. 

I also scouted certain teams like Walsall, Exeter and Charlton and a few other players elsewhere from the EFL leagues.

I wont name them all or I will be there all day but I will post a few players who have played a few games for me so far and have done well.

Wes McDonald

image.thumb.png.d32d79412a7c8c820bfe7f2dc36cbff5.png

I signed former Blues academy player Wes McDonald from Walsall for £350k and he has done very well so far with 4 goals from 8 games. Mostly playing up front as a Pressing Forward or on the wings when Jonathan Leko is upfront.

Amar'i Bell

image.thumb.png.3f53396fafedd0c5fd137268d678c8f7.png

Another former Birmingham City academy player Amar'i Bell who I signed from Blackburn for £300k.

He is a very solid, dependable left back who has played 7 games so far. He gets small injuries every couple of weeks but he is good enough to make the left back position his for now.

Randell Willams

image.thumb.png.c01728b3cdce25317afe597a64f6965a.png

I know Randell well from my Exeter save. He has made the step up very well from League 2 to Championship. He has got 2 goals so far from 7 gams and performs well on the left wing. I signed him from Exeter for £475k.

Harry Anderson

image.thumb.png.827975eec9ed74e8f3379b2a486c303c.png

Harry Anderson a £1m signing from Lincoln is very versatile and has played mostly as a right back due to me selling loads of players and then not checking if I had a right back before the transfer window closed lol. He has done well in a position he isn't natural in. 

@Jogo Bonito I have raided Walsall quite a bit lol. I have signed Alfie Bates, Dean Scarr, Cameron Norman, Liam Kinsella, Josh Gordon, Liam Roberts, Tommy Jackson, Elijah Adebayo and of course Wes McDonald lol. 

I am excited about Adebayo who I will give some game time to.

So, here goes how its started...

I've played the 3 games over the Christmas period, a win (1-0 v bottom of the league Harrogate), a defeat away to Grimsby (7th in the league at the time) and a 0-0 away to Forest Green (they are 2nd).

Overall the squad is really lacking in my opinion, both in terms of quality and how I want us to play. I've decided to go 3 CB's, then either wing backs or full backs depending on if we are home or away, then a mid of a front 3, either an AM and 2 up top or wide attacking players, I'm not 100% sure yet what will work best. 

One thing I hate is working with an ageing squad, don't ask why, I always go for the younger players who I find adapt better and I can develop. Loans is going to have to be the way forward though most probably due to the lack of funds. I've brought in Rhys Williams from Liverpool as CB, as a Liverpool fan I know plenty about him and think he can add some quality alongside Wheater and Piergianni. I've also got in Rodel Richards from Spurs to add some quality up top, pretty much based on reviews from others who have had him in league 2. Going out, Ntambwe is under offer, Bahamboula too to save me some funds in wages as we only had a thousand to spend on wages and I need reinforcements. 

We are now 5 points above the relegation zone but 22nd iun the league on 21 points, however, 29 points is mid table, so a few wins and we can move ourselves right up the league however our upcoming fixtures aren't too kind, a lot of teams who are well above us and in the play offs or pushing for them themselves.... Screen shots below, more depth to be posted later once I have some more playing time.

image.png.11de875e7aa42911fe8b585c1ea93c69.png

image.png

@PlainlayzeeYou seem to have a bit of a cushion over the two below you. I'm sure you will get them going in the right direction, especially with those two young but reliable loan signings.

@Ronaldo BeckhamAdebayo is the FM21 version of Mo Eisa (from FM19) in League 2 and the main reason I plumped for Walsall as my first full game. I have a handful of clubs in tier two and three (damn that doesn't even sound like a football phrase anymore after this last year) that I want to try, and he is the one who I'm looking to take on board. As for the other Walsall signings, I'm not sure how they will make the step up. I know you did them on FM20 but you may as well have just managed Walsall again instead of Birmingham ;)

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@PlainlayzeeYou seem to have a bit of a cushion over the two below you. I'm sure you will get them going in the right direction, especially with those two young but reliable loan signings.

@Ronaldo BeckhamAdebayo is the FM21 version of Mo Eisa (from FM19) in League 2 and the main reason I plumped for Walsall as my first full game. I have a handful of clubs in tier two and three (damn that doesn't even sound like a football phrase anymore after this last year) that I want to try, and he is the one who I'm looking to take on board. As for the other Walsall signings, I'm not sure how they will make the step up. I know you did them on FM20 but you may as well have just managed Walsall again instead of Birmingham ;)

Yeah but you are managing them and I didn't want to ride your coat tails lol.

I got a soft spot for Birmingham as I lived there for a few years and I also had fond memories of Birmingham City FC in the 90's and 2000's whether it was Barry Fry, Trevor Francis or Steve Bruce.

2052045815_Walsallheader.png.1c7a488fa9484399119aed6135fd9535.png

Season 20/21 

It's been a good start to the season for Walsall, and the season opener at Brentford in September was a magnificent way to get my official reign launched 

The opening league game with Grimsby was a tight affair, with only an excellent penalty save from Lavery's effort denying a maximum haul

Another good scalp followed in the EFL Cup as Huddersfield were seen off, and after a convincing win at Harrogate it was off to Goodison Park

Amazingly my side was 2-0 up after 26 minutes against a full-strength Everton side, but they pegged it back with a quick double just after the break

They added two more near the end to kill the dream, but I must admit I was proud of taking them so close

Lavery had another penalty kick saved brilliantly against Leyton Orient, but sub Josh Gordon came on and scored the only goal after 86 minutes to bring a narrow win

October saw a gritty point at Forest Green Rovers and a much-rotated side happily (for me) beaten in the Pointless Pizza Trophy

Next up was a blow as a 2-0 lead at home to Colchester was squandered late on (the first league goals against me to that point)

A win against table-topping Exeter got things back on track, but Bradford ground out a 1-0 win to give me a reality check

But three straight wins have hauled me to the top of the league for a somewhat flattering look on my side's progress so far

Adebayo has been in superb form in my 442 with 9 goals in 10 league games, and reliable goalkeeper Roberts is the only other player averaging over 7.00 so far 

35501958_WalsallFixtures1.1.png.c217b09e988de0a6445d03281f665fe3.png12705928_Walsallprogress1.1.thumb.png.d293635edb4e8fa0a23802d661c69eda.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

7 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

It's been a good start to the season for Walsall

Oh yes! Things are looking rosy there - good results, strikers firing, a sturdy defence, and finances in OK shape. I assume you made a bit from the Everton cup tie.

Keep that up for another 30-odd games and you'll be in good shape :D

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Oh yes! Things are looking rosy there - good results, strikers firing, a sturdy defence, and finances in OK shape. I assume you made a bit from the Everton cup tie.

Keep that up for another 30-odd games and you'll be in good shape :D

Thanks my friend. One of my three strikers has just got injured so if one more falls, the 442 won't be possible unless I promote a youth striker. The first target is to beat last season's 12th place - but I'm expecting play-offs as a minimum, hopefully more if injuries are kind to my small squad.

How are things with Exeter? Your next fixture would have been against the mighty Walsall...

43 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

2052045815_Walsallheader.png.1c7a488fa9484399119aed6135fd9535.png

Season 20/21 

It's been a good start to the season for Walsall, and the season opener at Brentford in September was a magnificent way to get my official reign under way 

The opening league game with Grimsby was a tight affair, with only an excellent penalty save from Lavery's effort denying a maximum haul

Another good scalp followed in the EFL Cup as Huddersfield were seen off, and after a convincing win at Harrogate it was off to Goodison Park

Amazingly my side was 2-0 up after 26 minutes against a full-strength Everton side, but they pegged it back with a quick double just after the break

They added two more near the end to kill the dream, but I must admit I was proud of taking them so close

Lavery had another penalty kick saved brilliantly against Leyton Orient, but sub Josh Gordon came on and scored the only goal after 86 minutes to bring a narrow win

October saw a gritty point at Forest Green Rovers and a much-rotated side happily (for me) beaten in the Pointless Pizza Trophy

Next up was a blow as a 2-0 lead at home to Colchester was squandered late on (the first league goals against me to that point)

A win against table=topping Exeter got things back on track, but Bradford ground out a 1-0 win to give a reality check

But three straight wins have hauled me to the top of the league for a somewhat flattering look on my side's progress so far

Adebayo has been in superb form in my 442 with 9 goals in 10 league games, and reliable goalkeeper Roberts is the only other player averaging over 7.00 so far 

35501958_WalsallFixtures1.1.png.c217b09e988de0a6445d03281f665fe3.png12705928_Walsallprogress1.1.thumb.png.d293635edb4e8fa0a23802d661c69eda.png

Great progress with Walsall. They have a really good squad. Adebayo is banging in the goals for you. What role up front do you play him as I have him as a Pressing Forward but he hasn't scored for me yet.

image.thumb.png.7e8d630ba7f6b109f51186aa257095e4.png

36 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

How are things with Exeter? Your next fixture would have been against the mighty Walsall...

And the mighty Walsall held us to a goalless draw :p. Now at the beginning of December, we've lost two games _ against Scunthorpe and Bradford City - but still holding on to 2nd place behind Crawley. I'll put up a proper report at New Year but December is a tough month with 7 league games and an FA Cup tie. I'll have a good idea of where we really stand when we get through that lot!

image.png.b11009c40f4ca36f0ad10cc96871f7f1.png

I logged on here to start with a hugely positive post, then it all went a bit downhill, but nevertheless, here's how its going. We've been busy, very busy. 

image.png.a7b308a792d3ec4345191d8317802462.png

We followed up what was in hindsight a quite impressive 0-0 at Forest Green (who were 2nd in the league) with a great 3-2 home win against 4th placed Mansfield. Rodel Richards banging a superb Hat-trick there and other newcomer Rhys Williams producing a superb display in defence. 

Coventry in the cup was now a free hit, frankly I've got bigger things to worry about but as it was a home game, I went full strength and decided the financial benefit if we won could be huge. An early second half goal from Dylan Dahamboula, who will leave the club in the summer on a free, gave us a brilliant win, shut up their frankly patronising manager Mark Robins and sent us into the 4th round where we will play Blackburn away. Not the dream draw, but even if we make 50k its money in the bank. 

Bolton away in the Papa John's cup trophy was again a free hit and frankly we didn't show up at all, 1-0 at the break and it should have been 3 or 4, Richards got us level before they absolutely dominated us and eventually got a winner with 10 minutes of time remaining. A flying water bottle at the end of that game as our performance was abject at best. 

On the transfer front, 2 more have come in, with Ed Francis coming in at CB and a young united player Galbraith on loan, who was recommended by my scout in the rather great new scouting addition that the game has. 

Going the other way, a number of loans were cancelled to free up space in the squad and release some wage budget, plus Jombati and Ntambwe have left for Notts Co and Crewe respectively. 

League wise, not a lot has changed, we are 19th, 13 points off the play off's but I suppose there is half a season still to be played. I'd really like a top half finish if we can just put a run of wins together.

Overall, we seem to have settled into a tactic of 5-2-3 and have a more consistent starting 11, plus the 2 loans have really changed the squad on paper to me, we look better at both ends of the pitch. 

Onward on upwards, just the small matter of Walsall who are top, away from home next, Cheltenham, who sit just above us and then Salford who are 3rd. Wouldn't want it too easy now would we!! 

image.png.39719f151531d8bddc5169427434ffa2.png

image.png.8c64995ce99d7df5c9fc9c9fa834e3e7.png

32 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Great progress with Walsall. They have a really good squad. Adebayo is banging in the goals for you. What role up front do you play him as I have him as a Pressing Forward but he hasn't scored for me yet.

Cheers mate. He must be tired playing for you after completing 90 minutes for me every week - give the poor lad a rest! I play him as AF in a pair with a PF alongside.

23 minutes ago, warlock said:

And the mighty Walsall held us to a goalless draw :p. Now at the beginning of December, we've lost two games _ against Scunthorpe and Bradford City - but still holding on to 2nd place behind Crawley. I'll put up a proper report at New Year but December is a tough month with 7 league games and an FA Cup tie. I'll have a good idea of where we really stand when we get through that lot!

Decent result, and you're dong well. Good luck for your tough December. Exeter were top in my game until I edged ahead (for now) so we both have strong sides.

@Plainlayzee You're still doing enough, keep your nerve and steer them to safety first - then see where you get to. Sorry to say this, but C'mon The Saddlers :brock:

8 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Cheers mate. He must be tired playing for you after completing 90 minutes for me every week - give the poor lad a rest! I play him as AF in a pair with a PF alongside.

Decent result, and you're dong well. Good luck for your tough December. Exeter were top in my game until I edged ahead (for now) so we both have strong sides.

@Plainlayzee You're still doing enough, keep your nerve and steer them to safety first - then see where you get to. Sorry to say this, but C'mon The Saddlers :brock:

He has only played 5 games this season lol. He is a bit injury prone though.

Only small injuries but they keep him out at times where I would like to give him game time.

image.thumb.png.83df8d876ae7f0c0d47dc9d50e67cb64.png

You are right he does prefer to play on the right side of a front two but I play 4-2-3-1 at the moment but I might change tactics next season.

I didn't realize that Adebayo can play in central defense as well lol. He is the new Dion Dublin or Chistopher Samba then lol.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

Barry Fry's Birmingham City Rebirth Season 1 Review Part 1

image.jpeg.62c4cda7cebe7b315776d4922a3f48b3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1f2d862a48660f0adbbb6f4cf59d2815.jpeg

I managed to get Birmingham into 8th place at the end of the season and I am very happy with that. One cos I thought I would struggle first season with all the new signings and also cos I would of got bored if I got promoted to the Prem already.

image.thumb.png.2257343f04983d921f0cbc813fd61f1c.png

image.thumb.png.a070b8cf5b0f0224f25b04c929080d1b.png

This was my best team overall for the season. I lack the star man upfront with Leko only getting 5 goals. I didn't have any players get 10 goals or more with on loan player Anthony Gordon being the highest scorer with 8 goals. I do think I have a few good strikers to remedy this in Ricky Jade-Jones, Josh Gordon and Adebayo so I will be playing them more often next season.

image.thumb.png.90551e88a2921402831b007a78d02497.png

Accolades

image.thumb.png.4253011942a6b77271cc3137a51d1bb9.png

Barry Fry's Birmingham City Rebirth Part 2

I am just going to post some players who performed well or I like the look of so far in my first season.

Ricky Jade-Jones

image.thumb.png.ba91733ea62a0bd312bf5c89d9d1a14c.png

I knew of Ricky Jade-Jones but never managed him on FM so I was happy to bring him in at Birmingham after getting 9 goals in 7 games for the youth/reserves I decided to give him a bit of first team football either up front or on the left wing and he has done very well. I think him and Adebayo will be my main strikers in season 2 with Josh Gordon and James Daly being good back up. 

I signed him from Peterborough for £2m and will come off as a bargain as time goes on.

Elijah Adebayo

image.thumb.png.fe87f1d34dff661fc33d6d4c6d310b87.png

Adebayo didn't play much but I am excited about him and I will give him more game time next season. I only played him in a few first team games this year just to see how he would handle it but he is used to being in a front 2 so it will take time. I might change my formation next season and have him and Jade-Jones upfront.

I signed him from Walsall for £1m. I could always try him in central defense lol.

Jack Clarke

image.thumb.png.8c5a5a8e5b05820a4e4edda67eb03e9c.png

I know all about Jack Clarke from when I lived in Leeds and my housemate would go on about how good he is and I agreed after watching him on the tv and even seeing him score when I got to go see Leeds play at Elland Road. I liked his drive and workrate and I jumped at the chance of getting him in on loan.

I didn't want to bring too many on loan players but I made exception for him and Anthony Gordon and both of them paid off for me.

Clarke managed to get 7 goals in 15 games. I am trying to get him in for another season but at the moment he has rejected the chance to come back.

Anthony Gordon

image.thumb.png.2f00cb27935fe0e712c4b24344b05d79.png

My other on loan signing Anthony Gordon done well for me with 8 goals and was my top goalscorer. He played well on the wing on occasionally up front. I am trying to keep him on loan for another season.

Cameron Archer

image.thumb.png.6040bf1ac5f2b537d03e69020416ed5a.png

Another striker I think can do well for me is Cameron Archer signed from arch rivals Aston Villa after a succesful loan spell he was having with Solihull Moors where he score 9 goals in 25 games for them. 

He scored 2 goals in 2 games which is pretty good considering my other players had a worse goal for game ratio.

Tom Lowery

image.thumb.png.b37884b90d501f37e53e55c9511b54fd.png

Probably my best player overall was Tom Lowery who I signed from Crewe for £2m. His idol is Juan Mata and plays a bit like him as well. I think he will do well and maybe be my future long term captain.

Barry Fry's Birmingham City Rebirth Part 3

Sorry I am having to do this in 3 parts but since they changed the forum you can't post as many screenshots as we used to so that is the reason for the 3 parts.

Anyway where was I. Oh yeah lol.

Amari'l Bell

image.thumb.png.234d49376317204f9c0d5963ff407195.png

Bell is a former Birmingham academy player who went on to play for Fleetwood and Blackburn before he come back home to Birmingham.

He isn't a world beater but very dependable and quick with 18 in Acceleration and 17 in Pace.

Louis Reed

image.thumb.png.540a21c527c009da195322e360f00b18.png

When Louis Reed was at Sheff Utd he was touted as the next big thing to come out of Sheffield but he couldn't live up to the expectations or wasn't given many chances so he went to Peterborough to rebuild his career and then got his chance back in the big time with Birmingham. 

He has only played a few games but he is doing very well in training and will get more first team chances next season.

Randell Willams

image.thumb.png.86eadc81bf392cadb3721a8f93ba6f81.png

Randell I know well from my save with Exeter and is a an old school winger who just likes to run with the ball. Another fast player with 16 in Acceleration, 15 in Pace and also has 16 in Flair. 

I think he is my version of Ryan Giggs but without him sleeping with his brother's wife lol.

Rhys Williams

image.thumb.png.efc32587c0cb843499e0c08d43060e56.png

My bargain of the season is Rhys Williams who only cost me £850k from Liverpool. Rhys Williams who in real life is getting first team football at Liverpool and I couldn't believe it when my scouts reccomended him. I jumped at the chance of getting him. 

George Dobson

image.thumb.png.cadb838792e0cf2706c9396925ca4954.png

George Dobson who I think is the new Jordan Henderson and also originally from Sunderland who I signed for £450k. Very solid, determined midfield enforcer. He helped protect my defense.

That is me done. Roll on Season 2.

So.

Southend.

Transfer embargo lifted, a few moves occur.

Firstly, heading out, youngster, Sam Brogan to Derby for £1m over 3 seasons, and a sell on clause. Its sad to sell a promising youngster, but, at the same time, it keeps the club ticking over.

As a result, go out and get a couple of scouts with EU knowledge, immediately, one suggests a player at Volendam, a 17 year old midfielder who would be quite good at League 2 level.

Sneaking in and agreeing a deal, as he was on an amateur contract feels a bit naughty, but, he agreed, and in comes, Calvin Twigt.

xIw9lNw.png

Also arriving, due to our recruitment teams knowledge of Europe, is 19 year old Portuguese/Brazilian dual national, Gustavo Furtado. He'd come through the setup at Guimaraes in Portugal, and found himself without a club.

image.thumb.png.30d93f96a884d3885cef7cbb57a410e5.png

He looks like he'll be a work in progress this season.

Next up, the first of a few signings that I think will make or break our season. 

First, Bright Enobakhare. The former Wolves youth product was available on a free, after a term at AEK Athens had been ended.

He will stand out in the division (Hopefully)

mNnPrAd.jpeg

The next, 22 year old Italian Manuel di Paola, cropped up on a player list matching some attributes I want in my team.

Unable to scout, I spoke to his agent, who said he wanted to sign.

9qjtOQO.jpeg

After Di Paola, another hit on the scouting trail was Facundo Lizaso. The dual national striker coming for a second stint in Europe, having spent a couple of seasons in Italys lower leagues.

Ehy1RFm.png

Following my last ramblings on my worries for my Championship season at Cambridge and my lack of success in the transfer market I felt compelled to give a quick update, because after six games things are going insanely well in spite of my ridiculously poor squad compared to the competition.

championship-table.png.b2a70926bb456ac4de16a54383da28c3.png

championship-fixtures.png.6903083d1508de44c39ffa98cb445fc5.png

I've been fortunate that my two strikers, who have been with me since League 2 - Harvey Knibbs and Ben Worman have both been pretty ruthless. Knibbs has 4 in 3 before getting injured which forced me to use Worman who now has 5 in 4 starts. I'm still trying to strengthen, but finding it really hard to recruit anyone that will substantially improve me. Transfers so far have been underwhelming to say the least.

championship-transfers.png.3d24ae88ff564a885b7085c2f1807008.png

Excited about bringing in Tjaland, but he's currently on loan in France until I can get a work permit through. But aside from him and Rhys Williams the signings have been to bolster the squad rather than improve on my first team. Incidentally, Bryan Cowley; pretty good newgen I'm hoping for big things from - although slightly baffled why he thinks he can play AML!

championship-cowley.thumb.png.b8f2464073264eaaa139d836a8ea1d20.png

The August transfer deadline is now looming and I need to try to improve on what I've got - although I am starting to question how much I should change given the start I've made. I haven't brought in any loans yet though, so I'll be scouring those Premier League U23 sides for some last minute game changers.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I managed to get Birmingham into 8th place at the end of the season

Good first season. Onwards and upwards :thup:

49 minutes ago, robterrace said:

Bright Enobakhare

Managed him a couple of times at Wolves in FM19 and he wasn't quite ready for prime time then but had bags of potential. Looks like a bargain now!

32 minutes ago, dozzie said:

finding it really hard to recruit anyone that will substantially improve me

Sadly common - reputation always seems to lag your achievements when you make a rapid rise to the Championship. But that's a great start regardless.

50 minutes ago, warlock said:

Managed him a couple of times at Wolves in FM19 and he wasn't quite ready for prime time then but had bags of potential. Looks like a bargain now!

Yeah, hes a bit short of match fitness.

My last signing, another one picked up from a deep dive into scouting (I put money into the scouting budget, selected a World plan then did a search of stuff on it, before clearing the scouting plan)

I'm thinking of playing 3 at the back, with this guy being the central lynchpin.

cnuGMht.jpg

Barry Fry's Birmingham City Season 2 Early Season Update

image.jpeg.cb2e47532d4e29566a8fe518d8b813a4.jpeg

image.jpeg.964be3d749a7e985b548608cfba4a70a.jpeg

Barry was more quiet in the transfer market this season as he was quite happy with his squad but I still did make signings. Here are some of the main ones Barry bought in.

Ellis Chapman

image.thumb.png.f78ebe555661f1c4afca7d48811f82e0.png

I am a big fan of Ellis Chapman and have known about his talents after seeing him on FM2020 but never signed him so I bought him to Birmingham.

He doesn't have great attributes but is young and I think with first team football he can get better. He is currently on loan back at the club I signed him off Cheltenham as part of the deal to buy him.

Udoka Godwin-Malife

image.thumb.png.dbc0e05e5c50e9927364f45c7e7f7484.png

What an awesome name for a player. He has become my first team right back as I was lacking in that department. I signed him for £98k from Forest Green and has settled in very well other then the rubbish display he had in the Carabao cup. He is a centre back but has adopted his new position well. 

I would like him to get better at crossing though as I like my full backs to bomb forward and assist.

Bradley Dack

image.thumb.png.54e95c3c716374417715e697da223341.png

I managed to sign the Tinpot version of David Beckham lol. Dacks gives me the creativity and goal threat I think I lacked last year. He can play in several positions but his best position is just behind the striker. 

The best thing about this is I managed to get him on a free transfer and his value is £9.5m so I might be able to sell him for decent money soon.

Josh Knight

image.thumb.png.05a03eefafb946df0de3c2e949c8a32c.png

Josh Knight another free transfer signing and has formed a very good defensive partnership with loan signing Jake Clarke-Salter. Leicester were crazy to get rid of Knight as he is awesome and will only get better.

Sam McQueen

image.thumb.png.06011e12eb7c502172985d783103c58d.png

Another bargain free transfer. McQueen will eventually end up as my first team left back. He is 26 but I don't feel like he has done much over the years other then a few appearences for Southampton and a few uninspiring loan spells. I feel like at Birmingham City FC he will finally reach his potential.

Liam Kelly

image.thumb.png.a0e699a12f515dc83613b0585326e73e.png

I know Liam well after a few times I have managed Reading.  He then went on to play 1 game for Dutch side Feyenoord and then went on loan to Oxford United for a few seasons. His contract was expiring and like McQueen I felt like he had a lot to give even at the age of 25.

Marcus Bettinelli

image.thumb.png.edce53803c1f5880ca4349d95a1fd381.png

Bettinelli was my final piece to the puzzle despite having a very good Championship Goalie in Eldridge I felt like Bettinelli was better overall and at 29 years old he is hitting his peak for a Goalie. 

He has very good Determination, Jumping Reach and Aerial Reach. A very good overall GK.

I am currently 16th after 8 games played but that was mostly cos I messed about with my formation to accomodate a few players who moaned about not playing in their prefered role and I wanted to try play with 2 strikers but it didn't work so I have reverted back to my Gegenpress 4-2-3-1 formation.

In other news I have took the Haiti national team job and I managed to get to the Quarter Finals of the Gold Cup losing to Jamaica in the quarters.

Well due to currently being at work and also in the process of doing a computer course I don’t have any screenshots to post but I will give a quick run down of my second season with Hereford FC.

Right so after the disappointment of losing in the play offs last season and with some shrewd reinforcements during the preseason we were initially made favourites to win the league (we were replaced by York as favourites at around Christmas).

We started the season ok with a couple of wins, some draws and 2 losses but after slightly tweaking our tactic we went on a 27 game unbeaten run in the league and went on to smash the league with 102 points (We also have the final game of the season to play) and so we were promoted.

I don’t have precise numbers for stats but our signings we amazing all season, I brought in Montgomery - a striker who was released by Celtic who is on about 30 goals for the season, Eddie Carrington who was released from Spurs who’s a right winger who has about 20 goals and double figures for assists, Then there was 3 that were released from Man United, Max Taylor and Luca Encolini made a fantastic CB partnership and Robson who did a great job at AMC.

I’ve already started looking at signings for next season and I’m again looking for players released from the Prem clubs but also some from lower down the leagues, I’m hoping to get Dion McGhee who’s currently with Bolton but who’s contract is up at the end of the season and possible Callum Gribbin (both former Man United players) to give me better playmaker/passer options and I’ve already got Zach Clough coming in to play as an AML.

Edit:

I would also just like to add this is the first time since Champ Man 06 that I’ve done a lower league save for more that half a season and I’m really enjoying it, it’s also the first time since FM13 that I’ve only been using a tactic that I’ve created. Now I’m not going to say that I’m a tactical expert or even really understand how my tactic runs with in the game but to actually have one that I’ve made work and be consistent does make the save a lot more fun but I’m also not getting too ahead of myself as I’m not totally sure that not just because most of my players as probably the best in the league in their positions 

Edited by Zeonflux

On 24/12/2020 at 10:57, collisonmullan said:

badge.png.5f26bf2f20bcaef234084d9a95b206ec.png

Reading FC 2020/21

January Update

Considering I thought it would be difficult to replicate how well I done in my previous save which I lost. I have been pleasantly surprised and would say we have done even better. Straight away the first thing to mention is that my decision to sell Jaoa and focus on Puscas has been rewarded as he has been in great form. The other special mention has to go to Michael Olise, having managed to sign him down to a new contract I have built the team around him really and he has provided the goods.

1774602383_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_04_52.thumb.png.f08d84bb8847060e769252a9514d8507.png

We find ourselves top of the league at January, lots of football still to be played but having only lost 1 game, with a rotated team against QPR, I cannot see us dropping unless something seriously goes wrong. I think it is testament to how well the season is going that we are the competitions top goalscorers and also have the best defence, this is just the perfect recipe for success. At the halfway point of the season we sit on 54 points, if we can replicate our form in the second half of the season we will be on course to beat our own record of 106 points.

1602543516_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_05_31.thumb.png.e4ca5e8bbf5f5a5eb0ef53ae93f33ff1.png

George Puscas has managed 21 goals in 26 games, 18 of those in the league and he has spearheaded our attack and has been a key reason we sit top of the league. Puscas has been lethal infront of goal, he is currently wanted by Bournemouth, but I am not concerned about losing him to them.

799675181_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_05_11.thumb.png.d292893c65646a884c32d4ad69ccc71a.png

The young frenchman has been ridiculous. From the attacking midfield position he has managed 16 goals and 7 assists in 25 games in all competitions which is just incredible at any level. He is currently wanted by PSG, however he doesn't seem to be forcing anything which is good. I might have to offer him another new deal to deter the interest.

Special mentions have to go to CBC who has kept 12 clean sheets in 23 league games, Jake Cooper who has contributed to this great defence as well as popping up with 3 goals. Finally, John Swift who has managed 4 goals and 8 assists as the clubs new Vice-Captain.

As well as we have been doing, my biggest concern has been an injury to any of the attacking players, as the only cover we have is youngsters. So I managed to arrange for Danny Loader to return to Reading on a loan until the end of the season, and I have even managed to put in a future fee of £3.88 million. He currently wouldn't be interested in joining, however I am sure if we get promoted he will be happy to return. I am very happy to have been able to sign another former Reading player as well as adding to a weaker area of the squad. 

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 10.09.21.png

So going into the second half of the season the squad now looks a bit thicker, and with a number of the youngsters improving we are in good shape. I have also recalled Sam Smith back from his loan as I think he is a good option upfront for us.

Squad

GK - CBC / Southwood

RB - Yiadom / Brooking.          CB - Moore / Holmes / Dorsett                      CB - Cooper / McIntyre / Abbey               LB - Richards / Samuels

CM - Rhinomhota / Laurent                                    CM - Swift / Tetek

AMR - Nevers / Sackey                                                                             AMC - Olise                                                             AML -  Ejaria / Loader / Bristow

ST - Puscas / Smith / Melvin-Lambert

The youth recruitment this year isn't looking like much will come from it. So I am not expecting to have anyone to add to this squad from within. If the season continues as it has been, I will be looking to add Jack Stacey from Bournemouth, I could potentially get him now, but he wants way too much in wages, so hopefully if we get promoted he may reduce his demands as he will have more interest in joining. I would like to add Shane Long and Alex McCarthy but with both being in their 30's and both earning over 50k a week, I don't see the board being very happy with those deals.

Ones to Watch 

1797818779_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_50_31.thumb.png.d9737f8a9916210818901d58d1f4126b.png

Thierry Nevers has benefited from the lack of depth in the attacking positions. He has been my starting AMR and has played well considering his age and is really developing well. 

1759865011_Screenshot2020-12-24at10_50_00.thumb.png.b4fea03acf0b591ff4c9c99d49bda095.png

Dejan Tetek, who is British-Serbian is currently tipped to be the next Paul Ince. He has not long turned 18 and is getting plenty of game time both starting and coming off the bench. He is really starting to look like he will be an important player in a season or 2. He is very well-rounded and can cover all centre midfield roles. He does strike me as an old school centre midfielder who can do everything and really get around the pitch and affect the game in both boxes.

Quick Update

Having not had a chance to really play over the christmas period, haven't got anywhere near as far as I would have wanted. Have just finished January. I now through the the 5th round of the FA Cup where I will play Notts Forest after beating West Brom in the 4th round. 

I also did another piece of business in the January window. I brought back Hal Robson-Kanu to the club. He re-joins the club for only £550k.  He brings with him a wealth of experience and can play anywhere across the attacking line which will be helpful during the busy second half of the season. He will also be very good for mentoring having good determination and a good personality.

117946931_Screenshot2020-12-31at11_36_39.thumb.png.d6244caaed6fda361fd1edbd1dae3c91.png

In the league we now have a 12 point lead in the league after 27 games. I don't want to speak to early but fingers crossed. Puscas still leads the scoring charts with 20 goals in 25 games.
Special mention also has to go to Danny Loader, who since signing on loan at the beginning of January has managed 5 goals and 2 assists in 4 starts and 3 sub appearances.

1971093759_Screenshot2020-12-31at11_57_49.thumb.png.7bcef20ca025212cde519400893b3564.png

Edited by collisonmullan

One thing I've noticed in the first few games of my season, is that we're lacking in a bit of pace and size at the back.

Using a filter I have to look for players in a similar fashion to top Premier League players, I found Ludwig Francillette at Newcastle, who was a pretty good fit for my Virgil Van Dijk filter. At 6'4", he is imposing and good in the air, and has the requisite strength to survive at League Two level.

He needs some work technically, and is a little lazy at times, but, if you're going after the finished article, you don't pay £120k, which is what brought him south to us.

hRYOmZc.png

Another departure left, this time Elvis Bwomono, who had been subject to a failed bid by Leicester earlier in the window, went to France for a new adventure at Nantes. 

This left a space at right back, which was plugged by Manchester City youngster, Alpha Dionkou.

image.thumb.png.5603ab83261133252caec3ee987f436e.png

On 30/12/2020 at 00:20, Ronaldo Beckham said:

No randomly it come up with their background when I click on Adebayo's profile

image.thumb.png.0f2231d1b574c73ef8a96c4162cf07aa.png

You do know you can change the transparency of your skin to reveal the whole picture. Adebayo had a loan spell at stevenage so I'm guessing if you saw the whole picture he would be in the photo.

A great youth intake for Birmingham City FC in the 2nd Season

image.thumb.png.d64d1fb466be5974548add15c480b2b6.png

image.thumb.png.7f8b11243860f8fa2932fcae05c7f6b4.png

The squad is filled with a lot of great potential players. Ricky Jade-Jones, Aiden Barlow, Odin Bailey, Tom Lowery being the stand outs so far.

image.thumb.png.225cab93acd5eeb9978a6cf7553f4626.png

Ricky Jade-Jones can't stop scoring. 26 goals so far

image.thumb.png.4cefeeebba05b9960bc3543926371f7e.png

Jonathan Leko is doing very well as well

image.thumb.png.b8592694c3999af1c0225dfb0666c3dd.png

Former Man Utd youngster Aiden Barlow has been brilliant since coming to Birmingham with 8 assists and 5 goals from 17 games.

image.thumb.png.f68d73df54ab339edd2f4613a011d329.png

After 40 games Birmingham City FC are currently sitting in 4th place in the league with 6 games to go.

image.thumb.png.bada3d23de3d1cc6eba5b3fd37956504.png 

Good transfers at Southend, and some youthful scouts recruited at Birmingham :kriss: :lol:

1332620278_Walsallheader.png.b6661a5ea7230b63ef1cfb5d549c198b.png

Season 20/21

Having just climbed to the top of the table at the end of the last month, November was a chance to push on

As the below results suggest, it was a great month with Adebayo in outstanding form with six league goals and one in the FA Cup too

I didn't want to lose 5-1 in the Pointless Pizza Trophy but was more than happy to bow out of that competition with a much-changed side being selected

December was much more hit and miss, with four wins and three defeats in seven league games

The month started with a lacklustre performance at home to Stevenage and the 1-0 loss was a fair reflection

More disappointing was the 3-2 defeat at Tranmere as a 2-0 advantage was thrown away late on 

This turn of form coincided with left-back and set-piece specialist Habergham being injured and some fitness concerns for Adebayo which limited his participation

As the latter was taken out of the team, the boys saw off Bolton 4-1 (after going a goal down) to calm the nerves a little

The result of the month was undoubtedly the 7-0 away thrashing of Oldham, with Gordon and Osadebe making the most of their chances

A narrow home win over Port Vale and a similarly close defeat at Salford saw out the year

The aforementioned Adebayo has been used from the bench again in the last couple of fixtures, so is hopefully ready to add to his 17 goal tally again soon

1200283117_WalsallFixtures1.2.png.dacd82afc8ba11756459ddfa4d06286b.png

The performance graph shows much better positioning in the last few months, and the goals for and against are right where they should be

Financially it is still OK but new contracts to six or seven players (not exceeding £1k per week) have been sorted so I'm comfortable with what lies ahead

I also have a money-spinning FA Cup Round 3 clash with local rivals West Brom to look forward to in January

I don't hold out much hope of a result, but financially that should be a bit of a boost at least

The transfer window is now open again - not much will be done but there signs of some creaking in a tight 21-man squad

1771205472_Walsallprogress1.2.thumb.png.05853b6214447f3725e754a27bda5d0c.png

46 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good transfers at Southend, and some youthful scouts recruited at Birmingham :kriss: :lol:

1332620278_Walsallheader.png.b6661a5ea7230b63ef1cfb5d549c198b.png

Season 20/21

Having just climbed to the top of the table at the end of the last month, November was a chance to push on

As the below results suggest, it was a great month with Adebayo in outstanding form with six league goals and one in the FA Cup too

I didn't want to lose 5-1 in the Pointless Pizza Trophy but was more than happy to bow out of that competition with a much-changed side being selected

December was much more hit and miss, with four wins and three defeats in seven league games

The month started with a lacklustre performance at home to Stevenage and the 1-0 loss was a fair reflection

More disappointing was the 3-2 defeat at Tranmere as a 2-0 advantage was thrown away late on 

This turn of form coincided with left-back and set-piece specialist Habergham being injured and some fitness concerns for Adebayo which limited his participation

As the latter was taken out of the team, the boys saw off Bolton 4-1 (after going a goal down) to calm the nerves a little

The result of the month was undoubtedly the 7-0 away thrashing of Oldham, with Gordon and Osadebe making the most of their chances

A narrow home win over Port Vale and a similarly close defeat at Salford saw out the year

The aforementioned Adebayo has been used from the bench again in the last couple of fixtures, so is hopefully ready to add to his 17 goal tally again soon

1200283117_WalsallFixtures1.2.png.dacd82afc8ba11756459ddfa4d06286b.png

The performance graph shows much better positioning in the last few months, and the goals for and against are right where they should be

Financially it is still OK but new contracts to six or seven players (not exceeding £1k per week) have been sorted so I'm comfortable with what lies ahead

I also have a money-spinning FA Cup Round 3 clash with local rivals West Brom to look forward to in January

I don't hold out much hope of a result, but financially that should be a bit of a boost at least

The transfer window is now open again - not much will be done but there signs of some creaking in a tight 21-man squad

1771205472_Walsallprogress1.2.thumb.png.05853b6214447f3725e754a27bda5d0c.png

I am glad Adebayo is doing well for you. I sent him out on loan to Doncaster for the season as he moaned alot and it annoyed me. He has only scored 5 goals in 19 games. On the plus side he has got XG of 5 and got 5 goals so that is good.

image.thumb.png.bcca855559a3f576f0de11997812633c.png

Well done topping the league with Walsall.

EDIT - I just realized that Doncaster have been playing him as a centre back after looking at this match report so 5 goals in pretty good lol.

image.thumb.png.834f6e7847f260e07e191629cd6f597b.png

24 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I am glad Adebayo is doing well for you. I sent him out on loan to Doncaster for the season as he moaned alot and it annoyed me. He has only scored 5 goals in 19 games. On the plus side he has got XG of 5 and got 5 goals so that is good.

Well done topping the league with Walsall.

Cheers, yes you were probably right to loan him out. Remember you're two leagues up on me, so easier for him to stand out in League 2.

You have had good seasons with Birmingham too. And 4th is a great place to be.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Cheers, yes you were probably right to loan him out. Remember you're two leagues up on me, so easier for him to stand out in League 2.

You have had good seasons with Birmingham too. And 4th is a great place to be.

Cheers buddy. I have got Nottingham Forest in the Play Off Semi's I will keep you all posted.

I just got the worse news ever with Ricky Jade-Jones getting injured for up to 12 days and will miss the Play Off Semi's.

I got Odin Bailey and Jonathan Leko that can play up front but Ricky Jade-Jones has been so good for me and I will miss his goalscoring touch.

image.thumb.png.7d2c7743d80934f10f87fb202120df4c.png

Well that sucks. Ricky has to come off after 7 minutes due to an injury grrr.

LEEEKEKKKKKOOOO!!!! 

Leko scores in the 19th minute

CLARKE-SALTER !!!

2-0 to Birmingham. 2-1 on Agg

3-0 Leko again. 

We are going to Wembley.

image.thumb.png.3b85b3ab66e6115641b5276957d37190.png

Sadly Ricky Jade-Jones playing wasn't worth the risk as he is now out injured for 3 weeks and wont be able to play in the Play Off final.

image.thumb.png.e23316d6f4dede165d843026e1e5f7a4.png

I now have a local derby in the Play Off final against West Brom

image.thumb.png.2d0743e4a51253f9db4030a48a2e73ce.png

My depleted line up for the Play Off final due to injuries to Jade-Jones, Leko and Barlow so not my strongest line up especially up front.

Jack Clarke scores for Birmingham in the 17th minute. Good start.

image.thumb.png.4faf188a98d8dbaaacf3bdc26b426f88.png

1-1 West Brom equalize with a goal from Diangana

image.thumb.png.b614985da59887f6afb4be39a31aaa08.png

2-1 to Birmingham City. Scott Twine scores for Birmingham in the 35th minute and an important goal indeed. Throughly entertaining so far.

image.thumb.png.7a9f98c00075efcc1e0293ea38f1d6a0.png

Just as the half time whistle was about to blow WBA equalize with Harper scoring.

2-2 at Half Time.

image.thumb.png.4458a442432c5d70403c7dc793487b8d.png