Jump to content

[FM21] Canadian Megapatch


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Chad Beaulieu said:

YSG, this is fantastic. As a fellow Canadian, thank you for the hard work you have put in for this and all the versions you have put out.

Can I ask why the CPL salary cap disappears in 2026? Is that something the league plans on doing?

Cheers.

No plans for that, but I wanted to take away the ceiling in how much the league can improve. So if a player does well enough to grow their team, it'd be possible to catch up to the MLS in a decade or so. Do you think I should push the cap elimination much further down the road? Maybe 10 years instead of 6?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank YSG. I don't think the CPL will ever be without a salary cap, but it's your game and modifications so do what you like. Similarly, I don't imagine the MLS ever being without a salary cap. I also just realized the cap growth is 250k per year. I thought I saw 25k per year. I think increasing by 250k a year is too much. But again, this is your baby and you can set it up as you like.

I am no editor expert, such as yourself, so I am curious about the following things:

1. can you add Designate Player rules (or something similar) in future years (say in 5 years teams can have one DP)?

2. is there a way to give CPL champion some extra transfer funds (coming from the League, not the team) to help with Continental Competition (the MLS Cup winner gets extra TAM money for following season to help with Champions League competition).

3. is the CPL draft for USPORTS players included in your set-up? is that even possible to do? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chad Beaulieu said:

Thank YSG. I don't think the CPL will ever be without a salary cap, but it's your game and modifications so do what you like. Similarly, I don't imagine the MLS ever being without a salary cap. I also just realized the cap growth is 250k per year. I thought I saw 25k per year. I think increasing by 250k a year is too much. But again, this is your baby and you can set it up as you like.

I am no editor expert, such as yourself, so I am curious about the following things:

1. can you add Designate Player rules (or something similar) in future years (say in 5 years teams can have one DP)?

2. is there a way to give CPL champion some extra transfer funds (coming from the League, not the team) to help with Continental Competition (the MLS Cup winner gets extra TAM money for following season to help with Champions League competition).

3. is the CPL draft for USPORTS players included in your set-up? is that even possible to do? 

I hear you regarding the cap. And with some inside sources, I am also certain that the cap won't be increasing much, if at all, the next couple years. I added that more for gameplay reasons, but happy to revisit it. Interestingly, even with the cap increase, I rarely see AI spending more than 1.1-1.3m even after a decade.

1. It's technically an option in the editor, but with the amount of hard coding the DP rule has in the game, I am skeptical I'd get it to work in a way we'd expect it to. But now I want to try it.

2. Yes there is in the form of prize money. But the board will determine if that leads to increase in transfer fund. I have a feeling it won't have that big an impact. How much would you propose?

3. I have never gotten a draft to work. Definitely something we're proposing to SI though. While we can't add USports in official DB, would be cool to have a draft of L1O/PLSQ/AMSL players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I hear you regarding the cap. And with some inside sources, I am also certain that the cap won't be increasing much, if at all, the next couple years. I added that more for gameplay reasons, but happy to revisit it. Interestingly, even with the cap increase, I rarely see AI spending more than 1.1-1.3m even after a decade.

1. It's technically an option in the editor, but with the amount of hard coding the DP rule has in the game, I am skeptical I'd get it to work in a way we'd expect it to. But now I want to try it.

2. Yes there is in the form of prize money. But the board will determine if that leads to increase in transfer fund. I have a feeling it won't have that big an impact. How much would you propose?

3. I have never gotten a draft to work. Definitely something we're proposing to SI though. While we can't add USports in official DB, would be cool to have a draft of L1O/PLSQ/AMSL players.

As far as the bottom quote goes about the draft... just an idea... what if we named the draft like CPL rookie draft and not had the USports clubs actual names in the game for legal purposes and we can just change the names within the editor that way its not officially in the DB per say

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem of such low salary cap is that while it might be annoying for human player, it's absolutely lethal for AI. Personally I like the idea of progressive cap increase, and even a future DP rule (if possible). A cap of around $2M after 5 years sounds reasonable to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, kandersson said:

The problem of such low salary cap is that while it might be annoying for human player, it's absolutely lethal for AI. Personally I like the idea of progressive cap increase, and even a future DP rule (if possible). A cap of around $2M after 5 years sounds reasonable to me.

The thing that i like about the low salary is I don't think out of 23 players half of them CPL teams will want to pay 1k or more for them... I can see your point if you have like 1 DP spot where you bring a big name player but atleast with the low salary, it has your mind thinking always who to bring in and Managers always have to make that decision of who to keep and who not to keep. As a manager you can't always keep everyone on your team

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, to get around the salary cap, CPL teams tend to provide additional benefits to their players such as free accommodation,  transportation, etc. And FM cannot replicate that. So I think it's harder to make good signings in FM since we are just left with wages to attract new players. Increasing the salary cap a little before more than the figures announced (25k$ each year) could make up for that.

Fantastic database otherwise. For more fun, I was thinking adding some expansions teams and maybe the rumoured second division with pro/rel.

- Joining the CPL in 2022: FC Vieux Québec (Québec City), Tri-City United (Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge)

- Joining the CPL in 2024: Saskatoon Sowers (Saskatoon), Fraser Valley United (Abbotsford)

- Canadian Second League: Acadian FC (Moncton), BC Spirit (Kelowna), Swan City (Burnaby), Calgary Owls (Calgary), Royal Laval (Laval), Sauga City (Misissauga), St John's Town (St John's), Toronto FC II, Surrey, Regina, London and maybe Red Deer or Lethbridge

Not sure about all the cities/names, if you have ideas let me know.

1346197157_Capturedecran2020-11-29a14_25_28.thumb.png.07a57950dae67dba866adff4d1c13bb5.png

 

I'm not as good as you with the advanced editor and I faced a couple problems setting up a promotion playoff between a team from Div1 and a team from Div2. I don't want to hijack your thread though so I can make a new one or go in DMs.

Edited by ClemB
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ClemB said:

Also, to get around the salary cap, CPL teams tend to provide additional benefits to their players such as free accommodation,  transportation, etc. And FM cannot replicate that. So I think it's harder to make good signings in FM since we are just left with wages to attract new players. Increasing the salary cap a little before more than the figures announced (25k$ each year) could make up for that.

Fantastic database otherwise. For more fun, I was thinking adding some expansions teams and maybe the rumoured second division with pro/rel.

- Joining the CPL in 2022: FC Vieux Québec (Québec City), Tri-City United (Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge)

- Joining the CPL in 2024: Saskatoon Sowers (Saskatoon), Fraser Valley United (Abbotsford)

- Canadian Second League: Acadian FC (Moncton), BC Spirit (Kelowna), Swan City (Burnaby), Calgary Owls (Calgary), Royal Laval (Laval), Sauga City (Misissauga), St John's Town (St John's), Toronto FC II, Surrey, Regina, London and maybe Red Deer or Lethbridge

Not sure about all the cities/names, if you have ideas let me know.

1346197157_Capturedecran2020-11-29a14_25_28.thumb.png.07a57950dae67dba866adff4d1c13bb5.png

 

I'm not as good as you with the advanced editor and I faced a couple problems setting up a promotion playoff between a team from Div1 and a team from Div2. I don't want to hijack your thread though so I can make a new one or go in DMs.

Is that second division hard to create?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/11/2020 at 16:54, yellowsweatygorilla said:

 

Image

Fantastic work with this update, cant wait to get started with it. 

Out of interest in the above screenie, how did you get the media logos to show up instead of the default face etc. Also presumably would it therefore be possible to put the Athletic logo instead of the journalist's face?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 28/11/2020 at 18:19, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I hear you regarding the cap. And with some inside sources, I am also certain that the cap won't be increasing much, if at all, the next couple years. I added that more for gameplay reasons, but happy to revisit it. Interestingly, even with the cap increase, I rarely see AI spending more than 1.1-1.3m even after a decade.

1. It's technically an option in the editor, but with the amount of hard coding the DP rule has in the game, I am skeptical I'd get it to work in a way we'd expect it to. But now I want to try it.

2. Yes there is in the form of prize money. But the board will determine if that leads to increase in transfer fund. I have a feeling it won't have that big an impact. How much would you propose?

3. I have never gotten a draft to work. Definitely something we're proposing to SI though. While we can't add USports in official DB, would be cool to have a draft of L1O/PLSQ/AMSL players.

For the AI using the salary cap. Is there a way in the editor to force AI to use a minimum amount for salaries. Like instead of a salary cap, it would be a salary floor? In other words, a minimum amount that a team must have spent. My thought here is it would force AI to keep, add players.

#2. As long as there is extra funds that works. Each team can use as it sees fit.

#3. Draft would be useful IMO only with USports not L10/PLSQ/AMSL... allow players from that league to transfer, etc. as it really is.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 28/11/2020 at 21:39, animal31 said:

Would it be possible to use this database as a base for a modified fantasy canadian pyramid?

Feel free, as long as I get credit and linked back to.

 

On 29/11/2020 at 07:42, ClemB said:

Also, to get around the salary cap, CPL teams tend to provide additional benefits to their players such as free accommodation,  transportation, etc. And FM cannot replicate that. So I think it's harder to make good signings in FM since we are just left with wages to attract new players. Increasing the salary cap a little before more than the figures announced (25k$ each year) could make up for that.

In fact, these accommodations do count towards the cap in real life. It's one of the criticisms of how the cap is implemented given how it disadvantages York.

7 hours ago, Watson156 said:

Fantastic work with this update, cant wait to get started with it. 

Out of interest in the above screenie, how did you get the media logos to show up instead of the default face etc. Also presumably would it therefore be possible to put the Athletic logo instead of the journalist's face?

I literally stuck the logo as a 'face' for non-broadcast journalists (mostly fan journalists) to respect their privacy. If you wanted to put in the athletic logo, you'd just replace Paul's face with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Chad Beaulieu said:

For the AI using the salary cap. Is there a way in the editor to force AI to use a minimum amount for salaries. Like instead of a salary cap, it would be a salary floor? In other words, a minimum amount that a team must have spent. My thought here is it would force AI to keep, add players.

#2. As long as there is extra funds that works. Each team can use as it sees fit.

#3. Draft would be useful IMO only with USports not L10/PLSQ/AMSL... allow players from that league to transfer, etc. as it really is.

 

 

1)You can indeed add a salary floor, but testing in the past showed that AI would often just ignore it. AI with salary caps are just completely broken.

3)Well, the way it'd be proposed is that teams can still directly sign players from these leagues ... the draft serves as a way to encourage AI to make the signings and to showcase the players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the AI a bit better with handling the cap this year?

One thing I've done unofficially is give CanPL teams a transfer ban until the first "draft" date - keeps them from raiding USL2 teams (if you've got the US active) at least until "draft day". I've also set certain USports-->CanPL players with future transfers on that day to simulate some movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

With the custom database that ive been using is that without the US league they have been going after League1 Ontario... thats with 20 CPL teams on the database ive been using... I have not added the USA one yet

I suppose if you weren't going to use the US, you could do a version swapping the details for MLS and CanPL, and change USL2 to USports - would that retain the draft? Could we override the DP-style roster restrictions with custom rules?

Edited by themodelcitizen
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

I suppose if you weren't going to use the US, you could do a version swapping the details for MLS and CanPL, and change USL2 to USports - would that retain the draft? Could we override the DP-style roster restrictions with custom rules?

I've already figured out what I am going to do... I've created a Pro/Rel file for the CPL teams... the CPL teams outside of the 3 that have U18 teams in real leagues will have to get their youth intake players from the USports league (which I am currently working on and League1 Ontario... But more information will be posted under the thread as far as my file goes... As far as draft goes I think that is hard-coded into the game.

Edited by Fmfan00
Link to post
Share on other sites

YSG this looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it.

As Canada isn't listed in current nations, did you start from scratch?

What 'level' do you have AMSL at in the pyramid? In real life I believe it's essentially one of the provincial top amateur leagues (essentially level 4), so I was curious why you added it, but not the other provinces?

Any thoughts on including the Pacific Coast Soccer League and/or the Canadian Soccer League?

Edited by SaintsCanada
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SaintsCanada said:

YSG this looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it.

As Canada isn't listed in current nations, did you start from scratch?

What 'level' do you have AMSL at in the pyramid? In real life I believe it's essentially one of the provincial top amateur leagues (essentially level 4), so I was curious why you added it, but not the other provinces?

Any thoughts on including the Pacific Coast Soccer League and/or the Canadian Soccer League?

Yep, made this from scratch - well carrying over the work from previous years.

AMSL is level 4. I previously only include leagues that I can provide depth in (ie. fill out rosters), but included AMSL because Cavalry/FCE academy teams play in this division.

Will be unlikely to include PCSL, and really really unlikely to include the unsanctioned CSL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Yep, made this from scratch - well carrying over the work from previous years.

AMSL is level 4. I previously only include leagues that I can provide depth in (ie. fill out rosters), but included AMSL because Cavalry/FCE academy teams play in this division.

Will be unlikely to include PCSL, and really really unlikely to include the unsanctioned CSL.

Very interesting. In your O.P. were you comparing your new CPL to the in-game vanilla version or last year's expansion?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tested it yesterday. Dual club + manager = Lethbridge & Canada. For some reason after I've finalised the 23 man squad for the first round of upcoming WC qualifiers, each time I click a player and sorta do some editing of the playing stats using the IGE, that player suddenly 'disappears' from the national squad and I'm unable to add that player back into the squad since it's finalised.

Tried it with 2 more players and same thing occurred. So it left me unable to proceed past the Team Selection screen as I had less than the 23-man required for the national team right before the Canucks first game with Panama.

Not sure if it's SI bug or relating to the patch but just thought of sharing.

Marvelous work though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Forgefc/tfc said:

Is anyone having a problem were it shows as non playable and the reason is because, the minimum amount of teams for the Druga liga RS Zapad is not met

there seems to be an error in the AI or somewhere within SI... if you want to use this one... This one Ed added 4 teams to CPL Sauga City, Quebec, Saskatoon and 1 other team... it works with all other mods if you wanted to give it a shot... a few of us over on the cpl discord are using it from the link below no problem

https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/1341794739121696768

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

there seems to be an error in the AI or somewhere within SI... if you want to use this one... This one Ed added 4 teams to CPL Sauga City, Quebec, Saskatoon and 1 other team... it works with all other mods if you wanted to give it a shot... a few of us over on the cpl discord are using it from the link below no problem

https://twitter.com/edwardhswong/status/1341794739121696768

Indeed, this one solves my own issue which is in line with yours!

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FootballHedgehog said:

Indeed, this one solves my own issue which is in line with yours!

Mine will be fixed later this week when we update ours as we are just fixing one thing then testing then it will be released

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello, this an awesome database for Canada, I loved it last year. However, I have had problems with it, in the started, likes a few other having the red triangle of no in the starting up leagues. Will this be fixed? If that is okay to ask, also I was wondering if there any plans to expand the league with new teams?

Once again thank you, and look forward to more fun to be had with this data set for Canada

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/02/2021 at 10:59, dbrown6 said:

Hello, this an awesome database for Canada, I loved it last year. However, I have had problems with it, in the started, likes a few other having the red triangle of no in the starting up leagues. Will this be fixed? If that is okay to ask, also I was wondering if there any plans to expand the league with new teams?

Once again thank you, and look forward to more fun to be had with this data set for Canada

If u look at my post above on the 31st of December.... he had added 4 teams to CPL so it has 12 teams 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2021 at 14:50, dino88 said:

its seems as no one is doing the ncaa for the US. is this something you could expand your work to? 

It’s just it looks like a lot of work having to create 200 plus teams and a number of leagues 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fmfan00 said:

It’s just it looks like a lot of work having to create 200 plus teams and a number of leagues 

oh i see, i can imagine its a lot of work yes. is it possible to extract uncle sams fm20 files and do it for fm21? im not sure how to do it otherwise i would!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my most enjoyable save in FM20 using this megapatch + Uncle Sam's file. A USA expansion really makes playing in CPL much more interesting and dynamic (transfers, job offers, youth development etc). I had tried using this patch + a USA expansion in FM 21 but for some reason no regen was ever produced in the many USA youth club/academies, which was obviously a big issue. Can anyone recommend a decent USA expansion (i.e. no game breaking bugs) to use with this file?

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, kandersson said:

Had my most enjoyable save in FM20 using this megapatch + Uncle Sam's file. A USA expansion really makes playing in CPL much more interesting and dynamic (transfers, job offers, youth development etc). I had tried using this patch + a USA expansion in FM 21 but for some reason no regen was ever produced in the many USA youth club/academies, which was obviously a big issue. Can anyone recommend a decent USA expansion (i.e. no game breaking bugs) to use with this file?

I'm gonna try and make this compatible with mine. but its very very fantasy USA and not a replication of the setup (all the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL teams and rosters are in)

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

I'm gonna try and make this compatible with mine. but its very very fantasy USA and not a replication of the setup (all the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL teams and rosters are in)

I agree with @kandersson

it was the same with me on fm20 but the regens from the ncaa were great when i played with orange county.. would sign players from ucla, stanford etc. 

 

i appreciate a lot of people have made a number of fantasy usa exapnsions but never understood why people would like them over real expansions including ncaa. personal opinion, not wanting to upset anyone ofc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...