What's are the opinions on the removal of the match timeline ?

What's are the opinions on the removal of the match timeline ?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What do people think about the removal of the match timeline?

• Remove it was a good idea and it add to the realism experience much more
    • I want to have it only when I replay my matches
    • I want to have it back in the in-match UI

The aim of this post is to see whether if I am just the loud minority compare to the silent majority. In addition, to have a discussion about the match timeline removal, and in the future, I hope I will be convinced that the removal of the match time line is a good thing for fm player. (this is not a suggestion post, i just want to have a discussion and be convinced)

It seems that the removal of the match timeline is not that big of a deal. At least I want to have it in the match replay view when replay a match.

The match timeline is the thing that make you go to the specific time during a match.

In Fm 20 ( Marked in red, i know i really lazy lol)1512011694_FM20(timeline).thumb.jpg.98198a1870bad214f9dc5c4982a988ab.jpg

Pros:

+ Help review play easier.

+ Easier to report weird plays. ( Shout out to that dude who make that great post about central play to improve fm 21, what a guy)

+ Record play

Cons:

- Unrealistic (debatable)

- Make the game run slower (fm 21 is way faster than fm 20 and i guess it is because of this)

In FM 21

1736191053_fm21timeline.thumb.jpg.0bf96adb9db65180d445b704ba0dfc24.jpg

Pros:

+ More realistic.

+ Make the game run faster (still a guess)

+ More space to look 

Cons:

+ Rewind option is still there (unrealistic)

+  Report weird plays get harder because finding plays much harder

+ Recording a plays for a video is a chore

5 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I want all FM 20 match UI back with FM 21 ME.

What a dream 

That's also what i actually want. However, hey work hard for their new UI (it's their mental child lol), i don't think they want to get rid of it 

I understand the reasoning for removing it (realism), but I'd really like to have when looking at replays after the match is done. It helps with tactics and it's easier to go back and forth to look at different times.

Most definitely want it back. Yesterday I was playing a friendly and got distracted by a phone call, so missed the scoring chance. Wanted to review it, but nope no way.

SI pushed for this as for a "realism" feature, but so many new things throw "realism" out of the window, like not having a match preview anymore, so I'm not buying it

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

This you would be able to review as it would be listed as a notable event.

But how? This is really a notable event, cause I build my tactic and I need to know what works and what doesn't. I couldn't rewind it as I could before. Where can I see it in-game?

Or all events are only available post-game in analysis screen? Sorry I'm having a hard time (like majority of users) with new UI

4 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

But how? This is really a notable event, cause I build my tactic and I need to know what works and what doesn't. I couldn't rewind it as I could before. Where can I see it in-game?

Or all events are only available post-game in analysis screen? Sorry I'm having a hard time (like majority of users) with new UI

You are able to click on a notable event and re-watch it.

None of the options really fit me. I missed the timeline in the beginning, felt weird. But by now I've more or less forgotten about it and adapted to it being gone.  So I don't necessarily think removing it was a good idea but I don't really care if it comes back or not :P

53 minutes ago, Golden Wanderer said:

That doesn't show chances though, only goals, disallowed goals, cards and penalties. Even if we could click on the xG graph to go to the highlight would be better.

Yeah if they some how fit chances into notable event it would be great ( most chances in fm20 have the lighter color compare to the whole time timeline, that's what make reviewing chances in fm 20 easy)

2 minutes ago, Hzano123 said:

Yeah if they some how fit chances into notable event it would be great ( most chances in fm20 have the lighter color compare to the whole time timeline, that's what make reviewing chances in fm 20 easy)

Yeah, I agree, but perhaps only after the match has finished should you be able to view them, if they wanted some way of balancing ease of access v realism.

I'd be happy with more notable events, rather than just injuries & goals 

Even if it's just customisable like the Match Stats, to let us add hit workwork, CCC's, HC's,  +0.20  XG chances, substitutions (why are these not a thing anyway?), even bookmarks would be handy because logging bug reports & trying to find an exact event is a pain without the timeline

I don't buy the timeline's not realistic either, it's not realistic to pause or rewind time 

2 hours ago, Golden Wanderer said:

Yeah, I agree, but perhaps only after the match has finished should you be able to view them, if they wanted some way of balancing ease of access v realism.

Or, just have it as an option that can be disabled...like attribute masking.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

@Pav_Makarov, my mistake here. You're not able to watch scoring chances back because it isn't a notable event. I misread and mistook it for goal scoring event.

Ok, so only post match then.

Understood, thank you. IMO it's a very bad decision, but "i can't pretend that I'm not disappointed, but I understand" :)

15 hours ago, Pav_Makarov said:

Ok, so only post match then.

Understood, thank you. IMO it's a very bad decision, but "i can't pretend that I'm not disappointed, but I understand" :)

How do you view scoring chances post match? I kinda don't understand why they do it lol. If anything they should also remove ability to pause and rewind time

Edited by Hzano123

4 hours ago, Hzano123 said:

How do you view scoring chances post match?

Go to past match report via schedule, then analytical data (right hand).  From there team or players tab, choose to view shots and they will appear on the pitch map. Click the event and you'll be given an option to view the highlight. You can view any event this way post game

IMG_20201128_140612.jpg

If they go for that "realism" thing, they should remove pause/play and TV things(presentation, golas scorer, commentary,..) Am i a manager or just a football fan watching game on TV. Remember that was so confusing to me when i first met this game 20 years ago :D

On 27/11/2020 at 03:12, Hzano123 said:

- Make the game run slower (fm 21 is way faster than fm 20 and i guess it is because of this)

How did you decide that the timeline made the game slower? The recent FMs have just been weird like that, my laptop gets 1 star graphics capability in fm20 and 5 stars in fm21, how does that make any sense???

On the topic, I liked the timeline and I think it should come back but smaller and partly transparent like some custom skins have it in fm20.

1 hour ago, d30617 said:

How did you decide that the timeline made the game slower? The recent FMs have just been weird like that, my laptop gets 1 star graphics capability in fm20 and 5 stars in fm21, how does that make any sense???

On the topic, I liked the timeline and I think it should come back but smaller and partly transparent like some custom skins have it in fm20.

It is just a guess thou. 

4 hours ago, Pav_Makarov said:

Go to past match report via schedule, then analytical data (right hand).  From there team or players tab, choose to view shots and they will appear on the pitch map. Click the event and you'll be given an option to view the highlight. You can view any event this way post game

IMG_20201128_140612.jpg

Thanks you i will try to see it as a replacement for match timeline

Doesn't bother me at all that it is gone. I rarely, if ever, went back further than the last incident to get a better look. You can do that with rewind. 

Does anyone think a real life manager has the opportunity to rewind a match and look at an incident again?

Do you watch a PL match and see Klopp standing on the touchline rewinding his Ipad to see Milner's yellow 10 minutes previous? No, you don't. 

Even if they did, it is not like they can do anything about it.

For me it has long been standard in football for post match analysis to be done, as a team, in training a day or two after a match.

People are just so used to what has been in FM, even if it shouldn't be, but they will adapt with time.

People complained that sliders had gone. No one mentions them now.

FM needed to move more inline with how real football is. If they just get rid of player search and have people rely on scouting I'll be chuffed. 

1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

I will keep this short: Not having the timeline is unacceptable. There can be no reasonable reason to remove it from the game.

I just gave you a reason. A manager on the touchline doesn't have a magic time line that they can go back and forth on to look at a yellow card or a shot whenever they like.

They watch the game as it happens.

1 hour ago, anagain said:

I just gave you a reason. A manager on the touchline doesn't have a magic time line that they can go back and forth on to look at a yellow card or a shot whenever they like.

They watch the game as it happens.

I won't accept realism as a reason. If it comes to that then it is also unrealistic for managers to judge each player's attributes out of 20 so they should be moved for realism. 

The timeline was a helpful tool which did nothing to harm the game. I didn't really use it but I totally understand why people want it back. 

On 27/11/2020 at 08:19, redarmy22 said:

Can anyone tell me how i view/have both team line ups on screen (touchline tablet) at the same time? I seem to only have the option for one or the other? thanks 

1575916993_Screenshot2020-11-27at08_17_09.thumb.png.9f1207d4b454a008e17cc73601151414.png

I'm going to guess your display is a lower resolution, such as 1366x768.

How much you can fit on your screen is affected by the resolution.  So your only option would be to upgrade to a machine with a higher resolution, if I'm correct about your resolution.

The less on the match day screen the better . Maybe and option to hide or view during the game might be better but either way its irrelevant because they are not going got change it . Dont think they are going to change it for the sake of a few players who want it . But saying that there were a few people who were whinging about the BETA ME and now its gone bad again for the sake of a few whingers . Feels like im playing FM20 again

5 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

This is a video game. Don't bring the extremes of realism in here because most certainly you will lose this argument. The decision to remove it was stupid and there is no defence for it. Throw your mouse out the window because the manager doesn't use a mouse on the touchline, as he uses his hands. I really struggle to understand how some of you people think. The timeline was a feature that existed for more than a decade and nobody asked for it to be removed and there was no reason to get rid of it. If you want to bring this poor argument of realism in this, fine: give us the option to keep the timeline here (surely it can't be that hard from a coding perspective). And for people like you, who would strip this game naked of features because of "realism" have the option to hide it. It's that simple. At a second thought, why are we even discussing the timeline ?! Why don't we just remove the attributes, remove the training system alltogether and have a hologram train players ... heck let's remove the people from the stands because it's coronavirus. Srsly man, i rarely get annoyed, but when I see such shortsided comments it's infuriating.

That's a crazy analogy. The fact that it is a game on a computer means you need the mouse. You don't need the timeline. I've played this game for near on 20 years barely using the timeline midway through a match.

I use comprehensive highlights. I watch what unfolds. Occaisonally I might rewind to see a foul or an offside.

Why do people even play a game as complex and deep as FM if they don't want to be absorbed in realism? I want FM to be like managing a real club. Like being a real manager. To me, the more SI can change the game to play like it is as close to realism as possible then the happier I will be.

There are many more ways, including the removal of attributes. I often think about playing without attributes and managing my team via the attribute graphs. The things that stop me is that I lack the time to play FM quite as deep as I'd love to even now. The stats are also a way to get accross what you, the manager, sees when watching a player

I'm not sure why you decided to take your thoughts in such a bizarre direction as to suggest holograms to train. You complain at me for daring to suggest the timeline is unecessary and yet you post such bizarre leaps as hologram training and full on coronavirus. The training system does not make the game easier. It is a mechanic designed to represent training. Coronavirus is a real world event that has no connection to football other than footballers can catch it, so your argument on that is far fetched. I actually think that is something they could have removed entirely, rather than having half the fallout in the form of a late season start.

The timeline is very different. It is extra to what a manager on the touchline has. You often hear that a coaching team has had access to a monitor in order to see a replay of an offside. But can a manager pause the game and rewind ten minutes to see the yellow card dished out to his defender? No. They use TV feeds, not magic feeds.

There is a whole lot of complaints on these forums that FM is too easy, yet when presented with miracle mechanics like a magic timeline, instant and enhanced game stats and player searches people clamour them. It is these things that help to make the game easier. Real managers use their eyes, their brains and a team after the game. They have spotters in the stands to see formations and player position who then report to managers later.

Has the game gotten rid of the text report? I haven't really looked to tell you the truth. If I want to go over moments from a match then that is what I'd use. As long as that is in the game then I'm happy to be able to use that at half time and full time. Being able to click on a yellow card or a goal in the match events is plenty good enough too. It takes you right to the moment.

I don't buy a "realism" argument. If we are going for that level of realism I should be watching the game in 1st person through my managers eyes. It's a game at the end of the day, and managers do now have equipment allowing the re-winding of play to re-watch stuff, even during games.

As for do I miss it? Yeah, I used it a lot tbh. Once a save becomes dominant, I can autopilot and play without giving it 100% attention and do miss things. I liked rewinding to watch funny/good things on the fly too.

It's really a quality of life downgrade tbh, but we've had a lot of QoL upgrades the last few years, we were due to lose some stuff.

Unless this significanly speeds up the game, I've no idea why it would have been removed.

Edited by AllyJoseph
1st person, not 3rd, im stupid

2 hours ago, AllyJoseph said:

I don't buy a "realism" argument. If we are going for that level of realism I should be watching the game in 1st person through my managers eyes. It's a game at the end of the day, and managers do now have equipment allowing the re-winding of play to re-watch stuff, even during games.

As for do I miss it? Yeah, I used it a lot tbh. Once a save becomes dominant, I can autopilot and play without giving it 100% attention and do miss things. I liked rewinding to watch funny/good things on the fly too.

It's really a quality of life downgrade tbh, but we've had a lot of QoL upgrades the last few years, we were due to lose some stuff.

Unless this significanly speeds up the game, I've no idea why it would have been removed.

Okay, I'll buy that if it were totally realistic then we'd be playing through the manager's eyes. To be truthful though, I'd love that. It is rather dependent on technology that may not be up to the task though. 

You still have some huge quality of life mechanics in the game. For one, and as I said above, you have the player and staff search functions that enable you to look at any player regardless of whether he has been found by your scouts. You can know every stat that player has if you turn off attribute masking. The way that football clubs have exhaustive lists of players in the footballing world is through the hard, hard work of a team of scouts. I was listening to a Bournemouth podcast last week that dived into the job of the club's scouting network. Jasion Tindall has player lists because his scouting network do the work of researching players. There is also now scouting tools online. There's not really a magic list though. Maybe the fact that some clubs use FM to scout now is close, but they still need to do the work to find out if a player is a good fit for them.

On the pitch you have the huge QoL tool that is the pause button. You can pause the game and rewind and fast forward to your heart's content. If you must go and see a match highlight rewind to it. Once you have pressed pause, of course.

I don't blame people for missing the timeline, but I certainly don't think it is as huge a loss as some are making out.

8 hours ago, anagain said:

Okay, I'll buy that if it were totally realistic then we'd be playing through the manager's eyes. To be truthful though, I'd love that. It is rather dependent on technology that may not be up to the task though. 

You still have some huge quality of life mechanics in the game. For one, and as I said above, you have the player and staff search functions that enable you to look at any player regardless of whether he has been found by your scouts. You can know every stat that player has if you turn off attribute masking. The way that football clubs have exhaustive lists of players in the footballing world is through the hard, hard work of a team of scouts. I was listening to a Bournemouth podcast last week that dived into the job of the club's scouting network. Jasion Tindall has player lists because his scouting network do the work of researching players. There is also now scouting tools online. There's not really a magic list though. Maybe the fact that some clubs use FM to scout now is close, but they still need to do the work to find out if a player is a good fit for them.

On the pitch you have the huge QoL tool that is the pause button. You can pause the game and rewind and fast forward to your heart's content. If you must go and see a match highlight rewind to it. Once you have pressed pause, of course.

I don't blame people for missing the timeline, but I certainly don't think it is as huge a loss as some are making out.

I'd love the option to watch the match in 1st person as a gimmick, but long term no, it just wouldn't be fun for me. But each to their own!

Like I said in my original post, we've had loads of QoL improvements these last few years. However, having some improvements on one hand doesn't excuse the removal of others. A pause button isn't a QoL feature, I think that's a stretch, as much as you want realism in your game, it's still a game. A pause button is essential because in reality we're not football managers, we're just playing as one. Being able to pause to go sort out your son, go get a drink, go out for milk etc is absolutely essential. In real life, nothing would interrupt you mid game, there would be no need to pause, in reality if your Mrs comes in and says you need to do something, you need to do it.

I don't think it's a huge loss, I think it's a loss.

The main reason I think people are annoyed is, there seems to be no reason for its removal that can be justified, I think "for realism" is a stretch that isn't one we should be making. I think "to speed up the game" is perhaps the only one I could justify, but I'm not a coder, I have no idea.

20 hours ago, Artin said:

i they think removed it to speed up processing. if so, i approve. the game is so much better because everything you do is faster.

if the reason is because they didn't think it was useful, then i disagree of the change.

21 hours ago, AllyJoseph said:

I'd love the option to watch the match in 1st person as a gimmick, but long term no, it just wouldn't be fun for me. But each to their own!

Like I said in my original post, we've had loads of QoL improvements these last few years. However, having some improvements on one hand doesn't excuse the removal of others. A pause button isn't a QoL feature, I think that's a stretch, as much as you want realism in your game, it's still a game. A pause button is essential because in reality we're not football managers, we're just playing as one. Being able to pause to go sort out your son, go get a drink, go out for milk etc is absolutely essential. In real life, nothing would interrupt you mid game, there would be no need to pause, in reality if your Mrs comes in and says you need to do something, you need to do it.

I don't think it's a huge loss, I think it's a loss.

The main reason I think people are annoyed is, there seems to be no reason for its removal that can be justified, I think "for realism" is a stretch that isn't one we should be making. I think "to speed up the game" is perhaps the only one I could justify, but I'm not a coder, I have no idea.

I totally agree. but we need dev themselves confirm about it