First fm proper having trouble

Hi new to fm really do love the game but i am about to get sacked from Motherwell i try fluid counter attacks  to tika taka but i always feel hard done by when i lose ino it part of the game but i havent won since December now feb 13 if anyone could help me out with taticd that help them and how to train zak emmerson to be a cf at would help alot and try to help with my knowledge of the game 

16064209917432977316689978782516.jpg

So this is just my opinion. I think from your choice of tactical style and roles you're trying to play some kind of defending/counter attacking style of football or you changed to that because you want to stop conceding goals.

Starting with the 532, the roles don't look too bad to me except for certain things:

1. Wingbacks on defend: they are the only players in that formation that give you width and you could really use them to stretch teams so having them on defend doesn't really make sense. you're playing with 3 Centre backs and an Anchor man so you could set both of  them to attack or even change one of them to a CWB and you'll be fine.
  2. Libero and Anchor man: I haven't used a libero before but I'm not sure how that would work with an anchor man (I could be wring). If you want someone to support the midfield you can change the Anchor man to a DM on support

Looking at the instructions there are a lot of issues in my opinion:

1. Out of possession instructions: You're too passive when defending; lower line of engagement and lower defensive line is okay, however there is also "Less urgent" pressing which means you are giving the opposition enough time on the ball so you'd see a lot of long shots against. Another thing is that you're forcing the opposition wide so you're allowing crosses into your box; If you combine that with your low line and less pressing, you'll be under pressure for 90 mins or most of the game. Personally, I'd go for a "more urgent pressing", "get stuck in" and "force opposition inside". The idea is to let the opposition come into our half and then put on a lot of pressure to win the ball back and we are forcing them inside because we have a lot of players in the middle so they will run into traffic and we can win the ball.
  2. Slow pace down: The way you are set up, even with the changes I suggested earlier you won't see much of the ball so you want to make good use of the ball when you have it and one of the best way to do it is to counter the opposition as soon as you win the ball because they have lost their defensive shape so telling your goalkeeper to hold on to the ball for a lot longer would give them the chance to reset and you don't want that. I'd remove that instruction and leave that section unticked or I'll go for a quick distribution.
  3. In possession Instructions: I never ask my players to waste time except during the last 10 minutes  and I'm protecting a lead. and again with the way you are set up, you want to use the ball as effectively as possible. Play for set piece can  be a good idea if you've set up one and you know it's effective (I don't use that instruction). You definitely want to play direct but I'm not quit sure lower tempo is the right call because you are giving time to the opposition to reset to their defensive shape. I use the combination of direct and lower tempo when I'm camping in the opposition half and I want to move them around and give my players time to get into position. I would go standard tempo with direct passing or standard passing with higher tempo.
  4. Mentality: Mentality is just the level of risk you are willing to take and it affects other instructions too but since you are playing with a bottom heavy formation and you are defending deep, you can afford to take more risks with your mentality. The fact that you want to play a defensive style of football doesn't mean you should play with a defensive mentality. You could play defensive football also on very attacking. Only the line of engagement and the roles to an extent determine the type of football you're playing.

In conclusion, I won't be too passive when defending and I'd look to make good use of the ball when I have it

I'm not going to talk about the 442 because it would be too long and you can apply the same principles 

Edited by DarJ

You could use a complete forward if you have a player with the right attributes.

the changes I suggested are just my opinion and there is no guarantee they would work as I don't know your players so I can't really say what they are good or bad at

If teams play with 1 striker you can use opposition instruction to tight mark him. It shouldn't be a problem since you have 3 defenders and you can set the centre backs at the right and left to stoppers so they are more aggressive

Edited by DarJ