The Realism Thread

Hi. I was staring at my new game set up screen for a couple of hours , thinking about what to do, pentagons always the target but i never achieve it, and each year it gets harder to start, so i went looking for a new option and found this thread. makes much ore sense to me to have a coaching badge, and i always do my best to work within my means in a game save anyway, ill still try to conquer the world but now i can have a little help at the start, i might actually get a job offer without loading level 10 database. so im using the vanilla leagues, i added al l the realism mods linked in the post at the top of this thread, aside from the legends, and im looking forward to getting started on this save. might actually get a decent job offer. i loaded every league so it could be anywhere! 

if it becomes something i enjoy, i may keep you updated, good to meet you, fellow realism people. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

Hi. I was staring at my new game set up screen for a couple of hours , thinking about what to do, pentagons always the target but i never achieve it, and each year it gets harder to start, so i went looking for a new option and found this thread. makes much ore sense to me to have a coaching badge, and i always do my best to work within my means in a game save anyway, ill still try to conquer the world but now i can have a little help at the start, i might actually get a job offer without loading level 10 database. so im using the vanilla leagues, i added al l the realism mods linked in the post at the top of this thread, aside from the legends, and im looking forward to getting started on this save. might actually get a decent job offer. i loaded every league so it could be anywhere! 

if it becomes something i enjoy, i may keep you updated, good to meet you, fellow realism people

To continue on, I loaded a save with vanilla leagues, and while I did get an exciting offer from Uruguay , I couldn't take it, wouldn't have been a very realistic start, so i loaded up the level 10 DB again, made only the home nations and france playable whilst loading the rest as read only. 

interviewed with Worcester and Wigan without applying, Worcester offered me a job, as did Lewes, but Saltdean were the most interesting to me , and are close to me , much like Lewes are, but I have managed Lewes in a previous game, same applies to Worcester. 

took a contract that's on par with the other managers in the league, here are no other staff, so I have adverts out to find an assistant / scout. This along with a physio will be all the staff I hire until I get a handle on the finances. 

The club has no history but wants promotion, I'm looking forward to this game getting going, been a while since I felt this optimistic but I'm sure it will fall apart soon enough!

oh, and the news was reported in Colombia for some reason. 

20210219014000_1.jpg

20210219014152_1.jpg

10 games into the league season and its been an interesting start. I'm finding value in the team i would have missed otherwise, by looking inwards rather than taking a scattergun approach to transfers by taking everything on 2 legs on trial and signing the best. 

We started well, winning the first 2 games and drawing the 3rd, before losing to Godolphin in the first preliminary round of the FA cup. this was disappointing because its good to get some cash in the bank when you can, but we bounced back with a 6-1 win over little common and won 5 of the next 6 games in all competitions. Now the wheels have started to come off, we have lost the last 3 games in a row.

2 bright sparks have emerged from the youth team, both aged 16, , a right winger i am playing on the left, has scored 9 times, and  another has chipped in with 5 on the right, which is not bad from his 6 starts when he covers for ****, who is my leading player.

Right now im adjusting my tactic to be more defensively sound hoping i can fix this slide before its gets too much worse. 

I still have no staff, which means i am managing all 3 squads on my own, but it also means the club is profitable! 

taking this approach to the game has really ignited my love for this game again, i would never have picked these teenagers to play in my squad in previous saves, and i feel attached to them already. on that sunject, i only brought in a CB to replace one of my glacial defenders, i wanted another but he signed for a rival, and a midfielder,  to give me something more in the middle allowing me to use my current midfielders as cover. i released 5 players, all who has appearance fees of over £40 and wouldn't sign new contracts. 

I'll update again next week, 

( i removed the names of the players after typing as i remembered some people dont like that. )

I did have a couple of more screens but they contain player names and tactics so if you want to see those, im happy to share in DM

edited again. removed the pictures, still had player names on 

Edited by Beliall

Evening chaps, it's been a while since I played LLM rules, I normally do Dafuges' challenge or the youth players only one.

Set myself with no badges and the lowest rep available (only because there's no "totally cack" level)

I've avoided the English League so am just running Italy down to Serie C - I started out as unemployed and went on holiday - set to apply for any jobs. I was interviewed unsuccessfully by quite a few clubs until Piacenza in Serie C took me on in December. They were plumb last and quite a few points adrift of 19th. Much to my horror I discovered they had 13 scouts - when the club only wanted 2. It cost a fair bit of cash to trim.

With 6 games to go I'm 4 points off getting out of the relegation play-off and 4 points ahead of last.

So far played 14 won 4 lost 5.

Oh and I've only just realized I can use 5 subs. 

Also just noticed if you're in 19th you must be within 9 points of 16th.

Relegation play-off here we come.

Well the play-offs were interesting, my AM got sent off after 3 mins, I then went 2-0 up only for them to get it back to 2-2 only for me to get my first penalty of the season in the 93rd minute which my forward converted for his hat-trick. The second leg resulted in a 2-1 win so I've stayed up.

My CF ended the season on 7 goals - 4 of which came in the play-off.

Edited by Swindon69

On 18/02/2021 at 20:00, Junkhead said:

National League north and south = null and void with no promotion/relegation.

Conflicted here because hoping the league is still active after the winter patch, but if there is promotion and relegation then that's unrealistic. Interested to see what happens.

I doubt they will change anything, I think we just have to suspend reality this season in-game. 

Difficult times really, I imagine we may see a few non-league clubs fold, which is terrible

On 18/02/2021 at 23:00, Junkhead said:

Conflicted here because hoping the league is still active after the winter patch, but if there is promotion and relegation then that's unrealistic. Interested to see what happens.

Mexican leagues will not have promotions and relegations for six years and it's represented in the game. Can't really say if the format changes afterwards though.

6 hours ago, Outrospective said:

Mexican leagues will not have promotions and relegations for six years and it's represented in the game. Can't really say if the format changes afterwards though.

It is represented after 6 years in game.  I don't think its covid related though

1 minute ago, Brother Ben said:

It is represented after 6 years in game.  I don't think its covid related though

It is represented in Norway though, where only the top 2 tiers actually play the first season. All non-professional sports were stopped last year in real life and FM reflects it by not having the competitions start until after the first season is done.

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

It's related to covid in certain sense - as I understand, Mexican FA has decided to do it for repairing financial damage which all covid-related things in 2020 caused.

On 22/02/2021 at 19:01, Outrospective said:

It's related to covid in certain sense - as I understand, Mexican FA has decided to do it for repairing financial damage which all covid-related things in 2020 caused.

Ah right, that makes sense.  Just had a little Google too, seems like a really unfair system tbh, how on earth do they come up with 6 years?

edit - this explains it well https://www.espn.co.uk/football/mexican-liga-bbva-mx/story/4087987/whats-behind-liga-mxs-decision-to-suspend-promotion-and-relegation

crazy that though people owning 2 or more clubs

Edited by Brother Ben

Am 18.2.2021 um 21:00 schrieb Junkhead:

I dont understand this (due my bad english knwoledge) - are these leagues now buggy?

Am i the only one who never plays on the most recent database they release every FM? I think it's very unrealistic to have updated transfers since you still start at the beginning of the season. But i never see anyone talk about this, and it's really annoying that all the mods update and then they will only work with the new database. 

Would be really cool if with the new database you would actually start at the mid of the season. 

Edited by lucasnake

12 minutes ago, lucasnake said:

Am i the only one who never plays on the most recent database they release every FM? I think it's very unrealistic to have updated transfers since you still start at the beginning of the season. But i never see anyone talk about this, and it's really annoying that all the mods update and then they will only work with the new database. 

Would be really cool if with the new database you would actually start at the mid of the season. 

Myself and @Junkhead had this very conversation recently and I think you're right.

You could I suppose start in January by loading Brazil but all of the leagues and results would be different 

vor 25 Minuten schrieb lucasnake:

This +

6 minutos atrás, Brother Ben disse:

Myself and @Junkhead had this very conversation recently and I think you're right.

You could I suppose start in January by loading Brazil but all of the leagues and results would be different 

Sorry, didn't see the later posts.

The problem about this is that even if you start in January, the game simulates the season with the transfered players being there since the beginning, so it is no different than starting on the beginning and playing until January. This is an minor thing really, but since i like to aim for the most realistic game, i can't play in the new database because of this.

11 minutes ago, lucasnake said:

The problem about this is that even if you start in January, the game simulates the season with the transfered players being there since the beginning, so it is no different than starting on the beginning and playing until January. This is an minor thing really, but since i like to aim for the most realistic game, i can't play in the new database because of this.

No worries it wasn't discussed on this thread,

Hadn't thought of that really.  Makes me even more certain that the original database is the way to go for realism sake.

On my website I have league overviews with media predictions etc that obviously change with updated squads so its a good thing from my point of view as it would be a lot of work to update all 52 nations

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, lucasnake said:

Hadn't thought of that either... Good point!

9 hours ago, lucasnake said:

What type of mods are you referring to??

4 minutos atrás, francis#17 disse:

What type of mods are you referring to??

Some league mods, particularly the leagues that play from January to December (i.e J. League), when they update those mods they update it to the new season, so if you play with the old game database it will mess things up.

I spend up to 5-6 hours manually editing the database for proper realism for norwegian league which goes from march/april -> december after the winter updates, norwegian transfer window goes through march so there's always tons of transfers coming in after the official update.

Probably not so bizarre, but my other half sure do find it nerdy..

2 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Quick question for all the realism thread people, What's the most bizarre thing you've done or heard about others doing in the name of realism?

I feel like there is an admission coming up....

It's ok, @Brother Ben, this is a safe place.... :D

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Brother Ben:

Quick question for all the realism thread people, What's the most bizarre thing you've done or heard about others doing in the name of realism?

I feel pretty weird right now....I just realized that I have spent more time on the editor and doing research for my "increase realism megapack" than being at school during my whole 3-year-apprentice-ship back in 2014 :lol: 

Apprentice-ship: ca. 2500hrs

My whole project + research: ca 2800hrs

I might need to do a complete overhaul of my CV:D

4 hours ago, Junkhead said:

I feel like there is an admission coming up....

It's ok, @Brother Ben, this is a safe place.... :D

:D

Okay well not really in the name of realism but if we're going to do confessionals along the same lines as @zindrinho and @Daveincid then I guess mine is that I had to physically add myself to 1127 teams in game to get their board expectations for the league overviews on my site.  I'm aware is totally mad  :lol:

Do I now hold some kind of record for most teams managed?  :D

Also you should have seen my face when I realised after the fact that the expectations can vary (albeit only slightly)  :mad:

10 hours ago, Daveincid said:

I feel pretty weird right now....I just realized that I have spent more time on the editor and doing research for my "increase realism megapack" than being at school during my whole 3-year-apprentice-ship back in 2014 :lol: 

Apprentice-ship: ca. 2500hrs

My whole project + research: ca 2800hrs

I might need to do a complete overhaul of my CV:D

This is brilliant

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

:D

Okay well not really in the name of realism but if we're going to do confessionals along the same lines as @zindrinho and @Daveincid then I guess mine is that I had to physically add myself to 1127 teams in game to get their board expectations for the league overviews on my site.  I'm aware is totally mad  :lol:

Do I now hold some kind of record for most teams managed?  :D

Also you should have seen my face when I realised after the fact that the expectations can vary (albeit only slightly)  :mad:

Do expectations vary if you don't take over? Is it new manager reputation that drives expectations?

12 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I have been known to ask my partner where she would rather live and show her pictures of cities when deciding between two job offers when starting unemployed :ackter:

I thought every llama did that?  I have worried about uprooting the kids too often when they are in primary school before ha ha.

(Actually I think searching for house prices / good schools in whatever backwater you may end up in may be peak LLM lol)

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Do expectations vary if you don't take over? Is it new manager reputation that drives expectations?

Honestly I don't know.

To be fair though LLM rules dictate that you start with no badges and no experience so it shouldn't matter

Guys!

I am one who loves realism like you, and unrealistic things in a save can throw me off the save. So which things do you recommend 2 do 2 get the realism up? Things 2 download, databases.

I have only had 1 long save in this FM, and it was with Paris FC.

1 hour ago, n1mez said:

Guys!

I am one who loves realism like you, and unrealistic things in a save can throw me off the save. So which things do you recommend 2 do 2 get the realism up? Things 2 download, databases.

I depends on what you care about in a save 

1 hour ago, n1mez said:

Guys!

You can have a decent realistic experience with the vanilla game of course.  Most unrealistic things in the game come from what the manager does rather than editors.

I saw a thread on here the other day where someone was going to ditch their save because the team they had taken from tier 11 in the UK to tier 2 and their players wanted tier 4 salaries.  Incidentally they had never paid a transfer fee, only signed 18 year olds and yet it was a 'disaster'.

An extreme example but managing in ways no club would ever do is the most unrealistic thing out there.

Same goes for other peoples tactics, but especially 'i have designed and tested this OP tactic that never loses'.  I am of the view that the decades of well intentioned tactical evolution has 'broke' FM, but especially tactics which don't even try to have a real world tactical aesthetic and instead are optimised to beat the engine.

In a more specific response though I think there are three key editor areas where people try to address realism.  Some or all may be what you are looking for.

1) Mechanics / data - especially finances, transfer activity, youth intake and quality.  These mods seek to balance the financial / player base to more realistically play.  I know some people put a LOT into this and test thoroughly.  If you are going down this route I recommend using mods where it is evident the creator has really thought it through, explained their rationale, has good reviews and has a track record for amends.  I have seen well intentioned mods in this area which if added would imbalance a game further rather than improve.

2) the data set - cosmetic changes to images, names, adding additional data sources like media.  Other forums are good for graphics but additional data creators are in the editors forum here too.  These generally won't break your game but will make things more immersive.

3) additional leagues - a lot of realistic players (including myself to a large extent) are attracted to these because they offer an opportunity for someone to take over a club at a 'realistic' level and work their way up.  There is a word of caution here though - FM isn't really designed for 'tier 20' so there is a chance that there is little difference in players at lower levels which unbalance your game.  You can combat this with some rigour to your recruitment and self imposed realism rules.  Depth (additional divisions) and breadth (additional nations) create a bigger FM world but that doesn't always mean realistic.  Some creators put in a phenomenal amount of work into their databases but can't replicate league rules or geographical rules.  If realism is more important than depth or breadth then go for creators who have a track record of striving for realism, who are responsive to corrections and are open about what they have not got right or can't fix.

A good rule of thumb is the speed of release (fast isn't a good sign) and frequency of revisions / updates (a passion for further refinement and improvement) but really what matters to you will influence what you're looking for.

(None of the above is intended to be a slight on people who strive to make the game better for themselves and others - it's just my observation).

On 07/02/2021 at 12:30, twattyatkins said:

Hey all, a little update on my save.

You may recall I left Llanelli Town for Bath City half way through the 22/23 season as it was closer to home (and more wonga). 

I managed to keep them up fairly comfortably in the end, finishing 19th (the bottom 4 were woeful and there was about a 15 point gap between them and safety). So 23/24 starts with expectations of reaching the playoffs which looked good to be happening until January time until I was offered the job at Tranmere Rovers (now in the National League). I thought I'd take it as it's a move into full time football, but not until the end of the season as I wanted to stay loyal to my contract at Bath, and try and see the job through.

Unfortunately the second half of the season didn't go so well and we ended up finishing 13th before I scarpered off to Merseyside. I'm now in the close season with Tranmere feeling like I've winged it a bit after a disappointing end to my Bath career. 

Should I feel bad?

Evening all, a little further update on my progress,

1st season at Tranmere was a major shock (to me) as we won the National League title and a season long tussle at the top with York City. We both had dodgy ends to the season but we just managed to limp our way there. Was hoping for a double but lost to Torquay in the FA Trophy semis.

Season 25/26 - After an awful start to our League 2 season where it took us 9 games to get a win we managed to finish 17th in the end which was slightly above expectations.

Another question of a realism coming up though - I've just been offered the job at Championship side Stoke, which seems like a massive jump to where I've been previously but I've took it in case a job of this size doesn't come round again. Not sure if this would happen in real life but it seems like an incredible challenge.

Does anybody else run the domestic leagues below them (for example I'm managing in the Championship) on full detail match engine) I've found myself doing this recently to identify gems, as on the quick sim for example you'll find a top scorer on about 20-25 goals a season whereas quite often on full sim it will be 30-45! Can't decide if this is cheating or not

29 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Does anybody else run the domestic leagues below them (for example I'm managing in the Championship) on full detail match engine) I've found myself doing this recently to identify gems, as on the quick sim for example you'll find a top scorer on about 20-25 goals a season whereas quite often on full sim it will be 30-45! Can't decide if this is cheating or not

It's not cheating, ideally you would run all in full-match engine, because that would hold all players in all leagues against the same rules and would be much better to know how they will do in the real full match engine when you sign them...
Offcourse, it's not possible to run so many leagues in full detail or you need to have a high-end spec setup to run it... 

42 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

It's not cheating, ideally you would run all in full-match engine, because that would hold all players in all leagues against the same rules and would be much better to know how they will do in the real full match engine when you sign them...
Offcourse, it's not possible to run so many leagues in full detail or you need to have a high-end spec setup to run it... 

Agreed. I also feel it probably helps a lot more with player development and consistency when a team gets promoted from a quick sim division to a full detail one. If I'm managing in England or whichever country I always try and have all the leagues in that country on full detail to keep it consistent in that nation at least

On 03/03/2021 at 18:40, bazhsw said:

You can have a decent realistic experience with the vanilla game of course.  Most unrealistic things in the game come from what the manager does rather than editors.

I saw a thread on here the other day where someone was going to ditch their save because the team they had taken from tier 11 in the UK to tier 2 and their players wanted tier 4 salaries.  Incidentally they had never paid a transfer fee, only signed 18 year olds and yet it was a 'disaster'.

An extreme example but managing in ways no club would ever do is the most unrealistic thing out there.

Same goes for other peoples tactics, but especially 'i have designed and tested this OP tactic that never loses'.  I am of the view that the decades of well intentioned tactical evolution has 'broke' FM, but especially tactics which don't even try to have a real world tactical aesthetic and instead are optimised to beat the engine.

In a more specific response though I think there are three key editor areas where people try to address realism.  Some or all may be what you are looking for.

1) Mechanics / data - especially finances, transfer activity, youth intake and quality.  These mods seek to balance the financial / player base to more realistically play.  I know some people put a LOT into this and test thoroughly.  If you are going down this route I recommend using mods where it is evident the creator has really thought it through, explained their rationale, has good reviews and has a track record for amends.  I have seen well intentioned mods in this area which if added would imbalance a game further rather than improve.

2) the data set - cosmetic changes to images, names, adding additional data sources like media.  Other forums are good for graphics but additional data creators are in the editors forum here too.  These generally won't break your game but will make things more immersive.

3) additional leagues - a lot of realistic players (including myself to a large extent) are attracted to these because they offer an opportunity for someone to take over a club at a 'realistic' level and work their way up.  There is a word of caution here though - FM isn't really designed for 'tier 20' so there is a chance that there is little difference in players at lower levels which unbalance your game.  You can combat this with some rigour to your recruitment and self imposed realism rules.  Depth (additional divisions) and breadth (additional nations) create a bigger FM world but that doesn't always mean realistic.  Some creators put in a phenomenal amount of work into their databases but can't replicate league rules or geographical rules.  If realism is more important than depth or breadth then go for creators who have a track record of striving for realism, who are responsive to corrections and are open about what they have not got right or can't fix.

A good rule of thumb is the speed of release (fast isn't a good sign) and frequency of revisions / updates (a passion for further refinement and improvement) but really what matters to you will influence what you're looking for.

(None of the above is intended to be a slight on people who strive to make the game better for themselves and others - it's just my observation).

@bazhsw - from your own experience, if you have used the mod before, would you recommend daves? as mentioned by me above! Just wanting some honest feedback 

@Domoboy23 I am running FM vanilla at the moment so I cannot comment on the particular mods Dave has created

What I feel more comfortable saying is that in terms of whether I would choose his mod or not he is definitely the type of creator I would support.

This is based on;

a) openly strives for realism 

b) puts a lot of effort into documenting what he has changed, the rationale for it and the impact of the changes 

c) is open to feedback 

d) has made revisions to his original work to improve.

There is ALWAYS a risk with any editor that they introduce unforseen (and unrealistic) consequences into the game, no matter how well intentioned, which is why many people who try to play as realistically as possible stick with the base game.

My advice would be to read his megapack thread and first question, 'do I agree that the things he thinks are problems are the same problems I see'.  If you answer that 'yes', then have a look at his output videos and images and see if that meets your expectations before downloading.

I would say that in terms of being realistic he is clearly very open about what he sets out to do which is a massive plus in my eyes to aid your decision making

9 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

I do this. Not cheating for me. IRL all world leagues run on full detail ;)

4 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

@bazhsw - from your own experience, if you have used the mod before, would you recommend daves? as mentioned by me above! Just wanting some honest feedback 

Would 100% recommend them.

Just now, Junkhead said:

Would 100% recommend them.

Amazing, just getting everything ready for a save tonight. Tempted to maybe add on the language and rivalries pack from majesticeternity, as seen as they don't conflict. Don't think I'm ready for the smarter AI yet even after my first FM being CM99! 

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Amazing, just getting everything ready for a save tonight. Tempted to maybe add on the language and rivalries pack from majesticeternity, as seen as they don't conflict. Don't think I'm ready for the smarter AI yet even after my first FM being CM99! 

It's the realistic injuries mod I can't live without, personally. The work that @majesticeternity & @Daveincid put in on all their mods is phenomenal.  The community is very lucky to have so many dedicated and determined modders. 

16 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

It's the realistic injuries mod I can't live without, personally. The work that @majesticeternity & @Daveincid put in on all their mods is phenomenal.  The community is very lucky to have so many dedicated and determined modders. 

Just currently looking at this and I love the sound of it. Do you use the regular or the reduced version? I personally love a good injury crisis on FM (true to real life, as long as it isn't all the time :D) with the mod do you find yourself having to tinker with training schedules a lot to prevent this?

Really like the look of the new injuries, the severity and the area of injury % being more accurate as well as how it was achieved. This is my first time playing with mods, and yes me and my brother who some may know from fmtahti on here, we have spent many weeks and months in the past building complext db's and testing, and that is hard enough but these mods/modders are a whole other level! 

7 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Just currently looking at this and I love the sound of it. Do you use the regular or the reduced version? I personally love a good injury crisis on FM (true to real life, as long as it isn't all the time :D) with the mod do you find yourself having to tinker with training schedules a lot to prevent this?

I use the regular one.  It forces changes to training and means you often have players out for 2-3 days.  Best thing about it for me though is that there is direct correspondence between training intensity and injury on the game, and this mod dials that up.  For example, if you set to rest every day of the week but train really intensely on a Monday, it's during Monday you will get the majority of your injuries.  What that does mean though is that during your first pre-season using the mod it will likely feel like there are too many injuries - there aren't once the season begins (IMO), but the first pre-season with low fitness results in more.