The Realism Thread

Shirehampton F.C.

Season: 2023/4 - Hellenic League Premier Div.

Half-Term Report

Shirehampton_FC_logo.png.4f690df7c03bd70350321ab7a402540b.png

"Firmitas In Profundum"

A new contract for 12 months on the same terms (which I considered a little ungenerous) was presented to me by the Board shortly after the conclusion of the season and our unlikely Western League Div. 1 success. The wage budget was significantly increased and a small transfer budget provided so I went to work to bring in a GK, a versatile D RC/M C, a AM L and a M/AM R, all starters, all free. Out went some dead wood but Superman decided to leave the club because of a perceived broken promise; I hadn't played him often enough as a Shadow Striker despite the fact he scored 12 goals and collected a League winners medal in the position I played him in. Oh well back to the transfer market and a new M/AM R was quickly found.

I am still unable to attract an Ass Man or Head of Youth Development to the Club but have brought in an U18 Manager to help spread the load.

With the media predicting a 21st finish I decided to work on a couple of more defensive tictacs in case my successful, expansive one struggled against better sides. Pre--season went well and we entered the new season in good spirits. Had a couple of wins in the preliminary rounds of the FA Cup and went out of the Vase at the first time of asking. In the League draws became wins as Polish found his feet at this level, helped by my new attacking midfielders. After 20 games Shirehampton currently sit 5th.

Screenshot2023-09-23225005.png.f8224857fa3b0a287bede2b921cc1065.png

Other clubs have started to cast glances in my direction. Interviews from Thornbury Town (league below us), a couple of Northern clubs (too far to consider) and a couple of regional Vanarama clubs (too much of a jump) have been declined. A new contract has been offered by Shirehampton, again on the same pay for a third season. Negotiations are on hold whilst I consider my options. I have completed my National B qualification and am currently working towards National A. If a Southern League club were to show interest I might be tempted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so what are our thoughts on the new Game Modes from a realism standpoint?

For me the only way to go would be the third option of Your World.  (for reasons I will expand on but i'm interested to see other peoples opinions)

This is a brilliant QOL addition that I didn't really know I needed but that makes so much sense.

NEW WAYS TO PLAY WITH GAME MODES

There are now three ways to start a save – ‘Original’, ‘Real World’ and ‘Your World’.

• Original: Players will be at the clubs they play for in the current Football Manager database at the start of your game, reflecting the most accurate real-life data.
  • Real World: Players will start the game contracted to the clubs they were with on the real-life date your Career begins. They will then move to their new club on the same date as they did in real life.
  • Your World: Club squads and budgets will be set at the date your game starts, and only players who joined before that date will be at your club - with all future transfers (for Real World mode) cancelled, giving you the opportunity to change history.

When choosing the team you want to manage, the option to ‘Choose a Game Mode’ will appear, taking you to a section with three options.

At this stage, you then have the option to selected ‘Advanced Setup’ or ‘Quick Start’.

Note - if playing in the MLS or A-League and choose Real Life Transfers mode, no further transfers can be made for the first season in-game.

Games Modes

These new modes open up huge possibilities for you in FM24. You can play how you've always done, get a different challenge with Real World where players could join after the first fixtures of the season without drilled-in fitness levels and tactical knowledge, or you can experience a more fantasy way of playing with Your World – this gives you different transfer budgets and the ability to make alternative choices to the decisions of real-life clubs.

Edited by Brother Ben

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

For me the only way to go would be the third option of Your World.  (for reasons I will expand on but i'm interested to see other peoples opinions)

This is a brilliant QOL addition that I didn't really know I needed but that makes so much sense.

I'm sure Man Utd fans will play this way so they can sign Belllingham and Kane instead of Mount and Hojlund even if the budget doesn't allow. I'm sure in the game though Kane would probably sign a new contract unless SI set him as unwilling to do so.

I think there's merits to both. The Your world gives you a fresher start and can't double dip in the summer window. That has been a minor criticism of mine. The no transfers in first window option didn't work well for teams that had their offseason from Nov/Dec to Feb/Mar. 

So the Your World option kind of levels the playing field a bit. It would be a good test to check out the new AI Squad building logic that's for sure.

The real world though feels much less gamey though especially if you sim partially into the season before taking on a job. If i'm doing a big club save I often wait til the first manager at one of the big European clubs gets sacked (except Pep lol). I'd probably start with a real world save here just to give the clubs the expected squads.

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

Definitely going with your world. When this was announced this si how I thought I'd be playing. The first is normal FM, the second one whilst good could hamper some teams, if they're playing a player that is set to leave.

13 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

I'm sure Man Utd fans will play this way so they can sign Belllingham and Kane instead of Mount and Hojlund even if the budget doesn't allow. I'm sure in the game though Kane would probably sign a new contract unless SI set him as unwilling to do so.

I think there's merits to both. The Your world gives you a fresher start and can't double dip in the summer window. That has been a minor criticism of mine. The no transfers in first window option didn't work well for teams that had their offseason from Nov/Dec to Feb/Mar. 

So the Your World option kind of levels the playing field a bit. It would be a good test to check out the new AI Squad building logic that's for sure.

The real world though feels much less gamey though especially if you sim partially into the season before taking on a job. If i'm doing a big club save I often wait til the first manager at one of the big European clubs gets sacked (except Pep lol). I'd probably start with a real world save here just to give the clubs the expected squads.

I'm starting the game using England start date of around June, but will be taking over a team in Japan which is going to be half way through the season. Be interesting if any Japanese teams have players that have signed for other teams after this date and using the real world mode.

Yeah they were my thoughts exactly.  The second option is problematic as suggested as a lot of players may well have been signed in response to injury issues etc but now in game you find yourself with a glut of players in one position.

I will say though that with an end of June start date quite a few Non-League clubs will require a complete rebuild

6 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Something I wanted for a long time.

From a realism point of view, if you are starting the game employed then Your world makes sense. If you are starting unemployed then choose Real World, however start the game after the transfer window has ended.

Also PSA: I will be playing FM 24 after and giving my updates in this thread and the Story forum like I did in FM 22. 

As usual I'll be using a DoF

5 hours ago, wazzaflow10 said:

The no transfers in first window option didn't work well for teams that had their offseason from Nov/Dec to Feb/Mar.

Don't most of those leagues start a year early, i.e. MLS started in the 2023 season in FM23? So that option was always perfect, you don't want them adding to their roster in early 2023 when their squad is already perfectly calibrated for all the roster rules/salary cap/etc. Same with other calendar-year leagues, if they started in March 2023 in FM2023 we don't want them adding to a roster that's already padded with offseason arrivals. Unless I'm misreading what you're saying

43 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Don't most of those leagues start a year early, i.e. MLS started in the 2023 season in FM23? So that option was always perfect, you don't want them adding to their roster in early 2023 when their squad is already perfectly calibrated for all the roster rules/salary cap/etc. Same with other calendar-year leagues, if they started in March 2023 in FM2023 we don't want them adding to a roster that's already padded with offseason arrivals. Unless I'm misreading what you're saying

I could be misremembering or did something wrong. However I was starting a journey man save and wound up in africa (Forget which nation - Nigeria maybe). Took the job at the end of the season and couldn't add anyone in the first transfer window of the league that ran from Dec-Feb. No one in the league could. It was the only time i've ever ticked that box. Had to abandon the save cause half the players left and couldn't add anyone.

Edited by wazzaflow10
a word

19 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

I could be misremembering or did something wrong. However I was starting a journey man save and wound up in africa (Forget which nation - Nigeria maybe). Took the job at the end of the season and couldn't add anyone in the first transfer window of the league that ran from Dec-Feb. No one in the league could. It was the only time i've ever ticked that box. Had to abandon the save cause half the players left and couldn't add anyone.

Ahhh OK, guessing that's more down to the mod-maker not adding a summer transfer window, but yeah it can arise if your start date (likely June or July) is after that country has already had all their transfer windows

18 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Ahhh OK, guessing that's more down to the mod-maker not adding a summer transfer window, but yeah it can arise if your start date (likely June or July) is after that country has already had all their transfer windows

Yeah it was definitely quirky. I never looked too hard into it tbh but that makes sense.

44 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

BTW, wazza flow like Detroit Wazaflo?

funny story I'm not local to detroit but had an old trainer from the detroit area (played college at Valpo and played pro indoor/outdoor) and one of his childhood friends came to our practice one day doing all sorts of unusual things for a practice session. At the end of the practice he gave us all t-shirts that said wazaflo(w?) on them. I have no idea if its associated or not b/c this would have been around 2001/02/03. Anyway it just stuck with me. Especially after Wayne Rooney. So the name is a bit of a portmanteau of that and Rooney. I'm looking at the picture of the owner of the team.. seems like that could be the guy. Hair wasn't as long but definitely kind of the vibe/style I remember.

Edit:

Looking at the logo much more closely now. the color scheme was different more baby blue from what i remember and no dragons behind it. But the ball as the center of the flower/ellipse thing was definitely something i remember. 

Edited by wazzaflow10
more context

35 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

funny story I'm not local to detroit but had an old trainer from the detroit area (played college at Valpo and played pro indoor/outdoor) and one of his childhood friends came to our practice one day doing all sorts of unusual things for a practice session. At the end of the practice he gave us all t-shirts that said wazaflo(w?) on them. I have no idea if its associated or not b/c this would have been around 2001/02/03. Anyway it just stuck with me. Especially after Wayne Rooney. So the name is a bit of a portmanteau of that and Rooney. I'm looking at the picture of the owner of the team.. seems like that could be the guy. Hair wasn't as long but definitely kind of the vibe/style I remember.

Edit:

Looking at the logo much more closely now. the color scheme was different more baby blue from what i remember and no dragons behind it. But the ball as the center of the flower/ellipse thing was definitely something i remember. 

That had to be one of the Sciclunas!! I've never met them but definitely big figures in the Detroit youth soccer scene around that time, one of the brothers had dreadlocks and a heavy surfer vibe, lol. Seemed like a good dude

10 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

That had to be one of the Sciclunas!! I've never met them but definitely big figures in the Detroit youth soccer scene around that time, one of the brothers had dreadlocks and a heavy surfer vibe, lol. Seemed like a good dude

yep that's the one I remember. Again can't confirm 100% cause it was 20 years ago now and lost contact with a lot of my old teammates over the years. Small world. You're probably the only person I've talked to who has gotten the reference. Maybe its bigger in Detroit.

Hi fellow FMers!

I started reading this thread from the first page and I feel sorry for not joining this conversation earlier.

The way I play is that I either start in early June 2022, but use the default database and disable first transfer window (until this point I didn't start unemoloyed, as I have OCD that I must keep everything under control and I didn't want to join a club and see that AI sold some good players, or renewed bad players' contracts, etc.) or start in June 2023, but with the latest database (24.5) and enable first transfer window.

What I like when starting in June 2022 is that I can make a good base for success (good staff, good training, etc) but I don't like the idea of replacing existing managers or mutually terminating existing staff contracts (I'm not sure IRL board would sack a physio on a 2-year contract and pay a xy compensation)

What I like about starting in June 2023 is that I can try and build my team in the first transfer window (offloading players, releasing them), but I don't like that I don't have stats available to me (I'm playing attributeles and relying on ass man's or coaches opinions in the first place then judging own players using stats or match analysis). To overcome this I started in June 2022 and simulated all the way to June 2023 and then pick a club 

With that in mind, I'm preparing for a long last save in FM23, I like Danish football infrastructure, their vision (check their site), stadiums, etc. So I chose a team that has only staff on amateur contracts (so I can sack them without compensation to cope with y OCD and I generally like to develop staff members, shame there are no staff cohesion or generally more options to play with regarding staff), they're in Danish 4th division. I'll see whether I'll start in 2022 or 2023 and if I'll use the 1-hour rule. 

I always play with nationality I'm managing in (that means I barely play as myself, so I create a new personna), and I like to bring in only staff of that nationality, generally I mostly like to build a home grown club, barely signing foreigners, relying on my youth or signings (when I set up my recruiment team I give them a division to focus and let them scout for around 9 months and then I take a look at what players they reccomend and are available, that means I avoid first 2 windows, this is tru if I start in June 2022)

I'll also try to delegate everything to staff except training and first team coaching staff and try to listen to their advice as much as possible and face consewuences if I didn't have luck when signing them (the attributeles thing), but I'll try to rely on their personality much more now as it can at least guarantee for some good attributes. One thing I can't fit is who should negotiate with staff when they turn for job postings? I still can't find the most realistic way possible to handle this, what's your opinion? I also like to hire young coaches to give me more time for them to develop alongside me!

Quite a huge post, I suppose I said much without saying anything, but I felt the urge to join this conversation and introduce myself. (I rarely started in very low leagues, mostly mid-tier top clubs, but ss you guess, I get bored after 3-4 months even when following many rules I set), so I hope a new and uniwue save will anchor me to it!

I suppose I'm not the only one who thinks of FM more than a game which can be exhausting, especially when expecting much from still only a game..

P.S.: I avoid newgen staff! I don't like the idea of employing a coach with no experience but great attributes... Those guys seem dull to me...

Edited by dzordzbest

On 12/10/2023 at 13:01, Brother Ben said:

My OCD will not allow me to play FM24 untill at least 24.3 when I can be confident that potential bugs or issues are fixed and when I get a clear idea of what each feature brings to the game!

1 hour ago, dzordzbest said:

Hi fellow FMers!

I started reading this thread from the first page and I feel sorry for not joining this conversation earlier.

The way I play is that I either start in early June 2022, but use the default database and disable first transfer window (until this point I didn't start unemoloyed, as I have OCD that I must keep everything under control and I didn't want to join a club and see that AI sold some good players, or renewed bad players' contracts, etc.) or start in June 2023, but with the latest database (24.5) and enable first transfer window.

What I like when starting in June 2022 is that I can make a good base for success (good staff, good training, etc) but I don't like the idea of replacing existing managers or mutually terminating existing staff contracts (I'm not sure IRL board would sack a physio on a 2-year contract and pay a xy compensation)

What I like about starting in June 2023 is that I can try and build my team in the first transfer window (offloading players, releasing them), but I don't like that I don't have stats available to me (I'm playing attributeles and relying on ass man's or coaches opinions in the first place then judging own players using stats or match analysis). To overcome this I started in June 2022 and simulated all the way to June 2023 and then pick a club 

With that in mind, I'm preparing for a long last save in FM23, I like Danish football infrastructure, their vision (check their site), stadiums, etc. So I chose a team that has only staff on amateur contracts (so I can sack them without compensation to cope with y OCD and I generally like to develop staff members, shame there are no staff cohesion or generally more options to play with regarding staff), they're in Danish 4th division. I'll see whether I'll start in 2022 or 2023 and if I'll use the 1-hour rule. 

I always play with nationality I'm managing in (that means I barely play as myself, so I create a new personna), and I like to bring in only staff of that nationality, generally I mostly like to build a home grown club, barely signing foreigners, relying on my youth or signings (when I set up my recruiment team I give them a division to focus and let them scout for around 9 months and then I take a look at what players they reccomend and are available, that means I avoid first 2 windows, this is tru if I start in June 2022)

I'll also try to delegate everything to staff except training and first team coaching staff and try to listen to their advice as much as possible and face consewuences if I didn't have luck when signing them (the attributeles thing), but I'll try to rely on their personality much more now as it can at least guarantee for some good attributes. One thing I can't fit is who should negotiate with staff when they turn for job postings? I still can't find the most realistic way possible to handle this, what's your opinion? I also like to hire young coaches to give me more time for them to develop alongside me!

Quite a huge post, I suppose I said much without saying anything, but I felt the urge to join this conversation and introduce myself. (I rarely started in very low leagues, mostly mid-tier top clubs, but ss you guess, I get bored after 3-4 months even when following many rules I set), so I hope a new and uniwue save will anchor me to it!

I suppose I'm not the only one who thinks of FM more than a game which can be exhausting, especially when expecting much from still only a game..

P.S.: I avoid newgen staff! I don't like the idea of employing a coach with no experience but great attributes... Those guys seem dull to me...

Great post.  Welcome to the thread.   :thup:

On 12/10/2023 at 18:01, Brother Ben said:

I'll be starting with Real World so it reflects how shoddy our pre-season was IRL with us selling our main striker a day before the season started and not signing a replacement until transfer deadline day.

Plus selling 2 captains and our entire defence.

Will add challenge as I'll be starting the season with no team cohesion and players I'd like to start totally unfit.

2 hours ago, dzordzbest said:

Can anybody recommend somebody who records playing FM in a totally llama way? I can't play right now, so looking for an alternative 🤣

You should check out the career updates forum. There's plenty of llamas in there (I am one), and play the game "the right way" 🙂

7 hours ago, dzordzbest said:

Can anybody recommend somebody who records playing FM in a totally llama way? I can't play right now, so looking for an alternative 🤣

I'm not sure I know of any that don't name players or mention their tactics etc apart from Soulfuision and F1dave in this thread.

Not since the LLM forums went down anyway

Soulfusions first post in the thread starts here - 

Edited by Brother Ben

6 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I'm not sure I know of any that don't name players or mention their tactics etc apart from Soulfuision and F1dave in this thread.

Not since the LLM forums went down anyway

Soulfusions first post in the thread starts here - 

What happened to the LLM forums used to be the best ones?

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Anyone had any thoughts about where their FM24 careers will start?

Beta - PSG

Main game - whichever team is bottom of the third division in Japan at the start date in June

Farsley Celtic, 2023/24

Vanarama National League North

The aging defence got a youthful infusion as I brought in 19yo CB Charlie who simply wasn't good enough for the youth ranks of a bigger team, and local boy Nan who interestingly enough was once a youngster at our rivals Guiseley, 15 minutes up the road. With one of the old heads staying on and last year's find of the season Manuel behind them, the idea was to build a solid defensive foundation. I also managed to bring in Homer on a free after Boro released him to me after last year's excellent loan spell on the right. I also brought in The Cuban, a Scouser who'd been playing half an hour down the road at Halifax - or not playing, rather. The fact he could play all along the front meant I could tempt him with regular game time, as cover for my existing players if nothing else. A few loans rounded out the transfer action to provide general depth.

Cups were crap, nothing much to say there. We made it to the FA Cup 4th Qualifying round before eventual Vanarama National champs Chesterfield dumped us out on a replay. FA Trophy we got to the third round before The Cuban's former side punished us for picking him up - and naturally, he played like hot garbage. In fact the only notable thing about this game was it went to penalties and took nine of them from each side for Halifax to triumph 5-4. The league was my main focus - the board wanted survival to establish ourselves as a regular at this level, and I was pretty confident we'd do that easily. As it turned out, I should have been even more confident - for most of the season, we were actually fighting for a playoff spot.

Closing in on the final two games of the season, we held on to 7th position and the final playoff spot by one point from Basford United. Eventual champs South Shields beat us 1-0 on their patch, but Basford lost as well. Last game of the season was at home to King's Lynn and Homer decided to celebrate by getting a straight red for two footing someone 15 minutes into the game (the FA gave him an additional two weeks, as well!). Considering Basford had gone 2-1 up it was backs to the wall from this point on - The Cuban smoked the Kings Lynn defence twice on the break however to secure a 2-0 win and book our playoff spot. We were drawn against Kidderminster for a game 3 days later and the tired legs of the squad couldn't hold out and we dropped to a 3-2 loss, despite a good effort from 17 year old youth product Urkle, a hot prospect striker I hope to give more game time to next year.

All in all, the board and fans are super happy - the only blot on the copybook is I'm losing Manuel to a Polish club on a transfer. The eight and a half thousand pounds we'll get (with possible additions down the track) is at least a club record, but he's going to be very hard to replace.

Edited by f1dave

On 16/10/2023 at 05:29, Junkhead said:

Anyone had any thoughts about where their FM24 careers will start?

Whichever team is predicted to be last in the lowest Northern Ireland league. I'll start once the update for the main game is released and I'll make a thread in the Stories forum.

How about you?

2 minutes ago, Platinum said:

Whichever team is predicted to be last in the lowest Northern Ireland league. I'll start once the update for the main game is released and I'll make a thread in the Stories forum.

How about you?

I've ported over my FM23 save managing two clubs - Blyth Spartans in England and Kirkwall Thorfinn in the 8th tier of Scotland in my amended modded db.

19 hours ago, f1dave said:

Farsley Celtic, 2023/24

Vanarama National League North

The aging defence got a youthful infusion as I brought in 19yo CB Charlie who simply wasn't good enough for the youth ranks of a bigger team, and local boy Nan who interestingly enough was once a youngster at our rivals Guiseley, 15 minutes up the road. With one of the old heads staying on and last year's find of the season Manuel behind them, the idea was to build a solid defensive foundation. I also managed to bring in Homer on a free after Boro released him to me after last year's excellent loan spell on the right. I also brought in The Cuban, a Scouser who'd been playing half an hour down the road at Halifax - or not playing, rather. The fact he could play all along the front meant I could tempt him with regular game time, as cover for my existing players if nothing else. A few loans rounded out the transfer action to provide general depth.

Cups were crap, nothing much to say there. We made it to the FA Cup 4th Qualifying round before eventual Vanarama National champs Chesterfield dumped us out on a replay. FA Trophy we got to the third round before The Cuban's former side punished us for picking him up - and naturally, he played like hot garbage. In fact the only notable thing about this game was it went to penalties and took nine of them from each side for Halifax to triumph 5-4. The league was my main focus - the board wanted survival to establish ourselves as a regular at this level, and I was pretty confident we'd do that easily. As it turned out, I should have been even more confident - for most of the season, we were actually fighting for a playoff spot.

Closing in on the final two games of the season, we held on to 7th position and the final playoff spot by one point from Basford United. Eventual champs South Shields beat us 1-0 on their patch, but Basford lost as well. Last game of the season was at home to King's Lynn and Homer decided to celebrate by getting a straight red for two footing someone 15 minutes into the game (the FA gave him an additional two weeks, as well!). Considering Basford had gone 2-1 up it was backs to the wall from this point on - The Cuban smoked the Kings Lynn defence twice on the break however to secure a 2-0 win and book our playoff spot. We were drawn against Kidderminster for a game 3 days later and the tired legs of the squad couldn't hold out and we dropped to a 3-2 loss, despite a good effort from 17 year old youth product Urkle, a hot prospect striker I hope to give more game time to next year.

All in all, the board and fans are super happy - the only blot on the copybook is I'm losing Manuel to a Polish club on a transfer. The eight and a half thousand pounds we'll get (with possible additions down the track) is at least a club record, but he's going to be very hard to replace.

kutgw

you're making me miss the LLM forums

Shirehampton F.C. 

Season 2023/24: Hellenic League Premier Division

End Of Season Report

"Firmitas In Profundum"

In January things really began to click for Shirehampton as we went unbeaten for 9 matches (W7 D2). The only defeat in this period was on penalties in the Hellenic League Cup against Abingdon, avenged by a 6-1 victory in the League a couple of games later. Polish was on fire scoring goals for fun with our AM C, Cage, chipping in with regular goals as we rose to top spot with room to spare even when back to back defeats dented our progress. Confidence at the club was jolted in March when Skip accepted an offer to move to Oakwood FC (level 10) rather than try to secure promotion to the Southern League. I quickly landed a D R, Athlete, from Cribbs moving my versatile D RC M C from right back to centre-back. Performances dropped but we were still able to scrape enough wins to remain on top, clear by 3 points and with the best GD in the division.

Lydney Town were our closest rivals and we had to play them in our penultimate fixture. Before that though we had four matches against teams in the bottom four and an opportunity to maximise our advantage.  Of course it wasn't that simple. We started to pick up injuries and the easy games on paper saw a return of W2, D1, L1 sufficient to secure a Play-off spot but our match against Lydney looked increasingly like a Hellenic League title decider. A team meeting called to improve confidence had the opposite effect as a 21st minute penalty stupidly given away by Cage and probably our worst performance of the season saw Lydney leave the Creek with a 1-0 victory and move top of Hellenic League with a game to play.

In the final round of fixtures we were away to mid-table Cribbs whilst Lydney faced relegated FC Stratford at home. Lydney's home record of one defeat all season seemed ominous. Another team meeting was held and ended positively. We were dominant in our match against Cribbs but could not force a breakthrough. FC Stratford surprised everyone by going 1-0 up in the 39th minute but had a player sent off by half time. As it stood we were top of the league by virtue of our superior goal difference. Lydney finally pierced the ten men of Stratford in the 67th minute to equalise and move ahead of us in the table. I instruct our team to go all out in attack and our patience pays off with Polish (who else) popping up to put us ahead in the 78th minute. Lydney are unable to find a winner at Stratford and Shirehampton claim the Hellenic League title by one point.

Screenshot2023-09-28171059.png.6a0858acafae5927c7e028bc85023d81.png

Polish ends the season with a league high 39 goals and is named Hellenic League Player of the Season and is joined in the Hellenic League team of the Season by Athlete and Top Cat. On a personal note I earn my second Manager of the Season award and have acquired my National A licence. My reward from Shirehampton's board is a contract offer of one year at £85 per week, i.e. the same wage as I have been on since joining the club. I ask for £110 and we fail to reach agreement. I am offered an interview at Chester but am not successful. My contract expires at the end of June and I remain at Shirehampton on a month to month contract.

The squad shall require significant strengthening and the Board seem willing to at least provide a large enough budget to achieve this. 

Shirehampton are joined by Lydney Town in Southern League Div. 1 South by defeating Slimbridge in the Play-off.

On 21/10/2023 at 12:03, Platinum said:

How about you?

Not sure yet for the full game. Have started a beta save with Bradford City just to fiddle around as they have a decent squad for their league and no manager. Possible I just stick with that for a bit depending on how it goes before starting a proper llama save. Really high hopes for this version based on what I've seen so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Shirehampton FC

Season 2024/25: Southern League Div. 1 South

"Firmitas In Profundum"

Successive promotions have caught up with the majority of the squad, even star striker Polish is not considered good enough to grace Southern League Div. 1 South but I am unwilling to let him go. Three first team regulars are released and two others sold in pre-season. I am able to bring in ex youth prospects from Bristol Rovers, a D C and a DM/M C. A new GK, a D L, another DM, a M/AM R, a DM/MC, an Irish AM L and a ST C (in case Polish does struggle) arrive to strengthen the First XI. In July I am able to finally attract a Ass Man and Head of Youth Development and am immediately exposed to plenty of new advice to consider!

The media prediction is for Shirehampton to finish 20th whilst the Board expect to finish in the Relegation Playoffs. Pre-season friendly results are W2, D2, L1 but all the games are a struggle whilst the new recruits struggle to gel and get to grips with my TicTacs. Our first competitive fixture, a FA Cup extra preliminary round match against old rivals Lydney Town see us crash out 2-0. This is followed up by a first league defeat by the same result. Our possession stats are great but we look toothless up front. Two successive away wins, also by 2-0 against Cadbury Heath and Willand Rovers offer signs of revival but we are beaten 3-1 by Lydney (again!) and a pattern commences where we pick up points without ever looking convincing.

In the FA Trophy we advance to the First Round proper courtesy of three wins on penalties following 1-1 results!

The Board continue to offer me a new contract but we stall on terms; they won't budge from £85 p/w (my starting salary!) and want a 30% reduction if relegated! whilst I don't budge from wanting £110 p/w so I remain on a month to month contract and my frustration with the Shirehampton board begins to fester. Other clubs continue to show interest in my services and in November I am offered a position with Northern Premier League Premier Div. side Guiseley but we cannot agree terms. In December I attend an interview with Boston Utd of Vanarama National League North but am not successful.

In January I find myself attending an interview with Leamington FC of Southern League Premier Central and am offered the position which I accept.

I leave Shirehampton on 5 January 2025 after 120 games played and a win percentage of 52%. The Southern League Div. 1 South table at time of leaving is:

Screenshot2023-11-16222438.png.686fdf4d9d9ee8558a6773a582772476.png

Hey all, am I ok to post my manager failings and tales of woe here?

Started the game on the day of release, Sunday League rep, no badges and playing the LLM way (haven't played any other way for years)

Got two job interviews and subsequent job offers from the off with both Llandidloes and Trefelin BGC.

I decided to take the former as they had a (very) slightly bigger wage budget, were offering me about 30 quid a week more and is closer to my house (yes these things I do consider at this level)

Expectations were low, attempt to battle relegation, with which it looked very possible being 7 points clear of the drop zone with 6 games to go. A 5 game winless streak though saw us in the bottom 3 on goal difference going in to the last day. We lost that game, we were relegated and I was of course sacked.

After my dismissal I went on holiday for a month having interviews with Oxford City and Kings Lynn but the only club willing to take me on were Hollywell Town, who had just finished midtable in the same league I've just been relegated from.

Send them prayers......... 

On 26/11/2023 at 13:44, twattyatkins said:

Got two job interviews and subsequent job offers from the off with both Llandidloes and Trefelin BGC.

I decided to take the former as they had a (very) slightly bigger wage budget, were offering me about 30 quid a week more and is closer to my house (yes these things I do consider at this level)

Expectations were low, attempt to battle relegation, with which it looked very possible being 7 points clear of the drop zone with 6 games to go. A 5 game winless streak though saw us in the bottom 3 on goal difference going in to the last day. We lost that game, we were relegated and I was of course sacked.

Unlucky with Llandidloes. Were you able to establish why they crashed and burned in those final matches? Injuries or just general loss of confidence?

On 26/11/2023 at 13:44, twattyatkins said:

Hey all, am I ok to post my manager failings and tales of woe here?

Started the game on the day of release, Sunday League rep, no badges and playing the LLM way (haven't played any other way for years)

After my dismissal I went on holiday for a month having interviews with Oxford City and Kings Lynn but the only club willing to take me on were Hollywell Town, who had just finished midtable in the same league I've just been relegated from.

Send them prayers......... 

RIP

I've jus started my managerial save, my first since FM22. I will be documenting the journey in a similar way to how I did back then, hopefully its engaging and is a fun read, feedback on how it can be more entertaining will be appreciated. I will be acting like a modern manager, working with a DoF, I'll only be able to recommendations to my DoF on transfers, contract renewals staff and scouting, but the DoF has the last say. I will take full control of training and tactics and the first team coaches though.

The first post is here:

@Junkhead @Brother Ben

But just for this first post Im putting it here too:

image.png.a7245a02ececba19af3ab99bc93cbf8f.png

29 year old Arsenal supporter Nathan Francis was visiting Snowdonia in Wales on holiday when he met a man named Steve Green when eating in Bryn Arms restaurant. They got along quite well and they spoke about football in detail, particularly on the tactical side and analytical side, and Steve Green was impressed.  The conversation almost felt like an interview. At the end of the conversation Steve Green revealed he is chairman for Semi-Professional Welsh Cymru South team Trefelin Boys and Girls Club, based in industrial town Port Talbot, and in a half serious tone said, "If we ever need a new manager you should apply".

image.png.00d0fc3f77cf7d7313b8aa7513fe106c.png

Nathan seriously considered it as it would be a dream, and once he saw that Trefelin BGC had sacked their manager in late September he applied. Whilst in the moment he also applied for other jobs around the world in the lower divisions and was asked for a few interviews, but he decided not to go to them, knowing he didn't have the credentials. The interview with Trefelin went well, with Nathan being honest and also telling them he would be more than happy to work with DoF Dan Bates. He also decided to apply for for the team that was last in Cyrmu North and got an interview.

image.png.f5955d2c2c5936e91fd56ff1d9a3a02f.png

Trefeling offered Nathan the job and he accepted, travelling up to Wales right away and signed a 1 year contract on £130 p/w, which means it is a part time job for now while he also does a remote working analytics job. Trefelin are currently last in the league with 0 points after 7 games in Cymru South wanted to avoid relegation and have the same goal for the next 5 years. Its a big challenge. but the ethos of the club is something that really resonated with Nathan. They have strong community roots with both boys and girls and their first team is littered with players that have been with the club since kids. Its the type of football romance I love and wish to continue.

Message from the chairman that was made 2 years ago when they first entered Cymru South

image.png.bbd172e8a43865df32bc77deae7bcff1.png

This is the start of the dream and that dream extends to managing Arsenal one day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The next post will cover the squad and facilities and all posts will be written in first person from now on

Note: In this career I hope to achieve success in Wales before continuing a managerial journey that culminates in me joining Arsenal and winning the league and Champions League. That's the dream, but whether I get there is another question.

I will act as a modern Head Coach/manager and so will have a DoF that takes care of transfers, contract renewals, scouting and hiring staff (apart from first team coaches). I will recommend players to my DoF for transfers, contract renewals and being scouted, but the DoF will always have the final decision. 

Players that I don't want sold under any circumstances will have that set on the player screen, but the board can of course still overrule this.

Features: I will make a post after every game month passes, but preseason will be covered in one post. Each post will have a video of our goal of the month (voted by me) and summary of the top scorers. And also a  summary of any major events in the wider world of football

Game DB notes: Every league and every division is loaded. Full detail leagues are my current league, major international comps, the Champions League, and the Premier League

Edited by Platinum

7 minutes ago, Platinum said:

I've jus started my managerial save, my first since FM22. I will be documenting the journey in a similar way to how I did back then, hopefully its engaging and is a fun read, feedback on how it can be more entertaining will be appreciated. I will be acting like a modern manager, working with a DoF, I'll only be able to recommendations to my DoF on transfers, contract renewals staff and scouting, but the DoF has the last say. I will take full control of training and tactics and the first team coaches though.

The first post is here:

@Junkhead @Brother Ben

But just for this first post Im putting it here too:

image.png.a7245a02ececba19af3ab99bc93cbf8f.png

29 year old Arsenal supporter Nathan Francis was visiting Snowdonia in Wales on holiday when he met a man named Steve Green when eating in Bryn Arms restaurant. They got along quite well and they spoke about football in detail, particularly on the tactical side and analytical side, and Steve Green was impressed.  The conversation almost felt like an interview. At the end of the conversation Steve Green revealed he is chairman for Semi-Professional Welsh Cymru South team Trefelin Boys and Girls Club, based in industrial town Port Talbot, and in a half serious tone said, "If we ever need a new manager you should apply".

image.png.00d0fc3f77cf7d7313b8aa7513fe106c.png

Nathan seriously considered it as it would be a dream, and once he saw that Trefelin BGC had sacked their manager in late September he applied. Whilst in the moment he also applied for other jobs around the world in the lower divisions and was asked for a few interviews, but he decided not to go to them, knowing he didn't have the credentials. The interview with Trefelin went well, with Nathan being honest and also telling them he would be more than happy to work with DoF Dan Bates. He also decided to apply for for the team that was last in Cyrmu North and got an interview.

image.png.f5955d2c2c5936e91fd56ff1d9a3a02f.png

Trefeling offered Nathan the job and he accepted, travelling up to Wales right away and signed a 1 year contract on £130 p/w, which means it is a part time job for now while he also does a remote working analytics job. Trefelin are currently last in the league with 0 points after 7 games in Cymru South wanted to avoid relegation and have the same goal for the next 5 years. Its a big challenge. but the ethos of the club is something that really resonated with Nathan. They have strong community roots with both boys and girls and their first team is littered with players that have been with the club since kids. Its the type of football romance I love and wish to continue.

Message from the chairman that was made 2 years ago when they first entered Cymru South

image.png.bbd172e8a43865df32bc77deae7bcff1.png

This is the start of the dream and that dream extends to managing Arsenal one day!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The next post will cover the squad and facilities and all posts will be written in first person from now on

Note: In this career I hope to achieve success in Wales before continuing a managerial journey that culminates in me joining Arsenal and winning the league and Champions League. That's the dream, but whether I get there is another question.

I will act as a modern Head Coach/manager and so will have a DoF that takes care of transfers, contract renewals, scouting and hiring staff (apart from first team coaches). I will recommend players to my DoF for transfers, contract renewals and being scouted, but the DoF will always have the final decision. 

Players that I don't want sold under any circumstances will have that set on the player screen, but the board can of course still overrule this.

Features: I will make a post after very game month passes, but preseason will be covered in one post. Each post will have a video of our goal of the month (voted by me) and summary of the top scorers. And also a  summary of any major events in the wider world of football

Game DB notes: Every league and every division is loaded. Full detail leagues are my current league, major international comps, the Champions League, and the Premier League

Very good opening post that :thup:

Hi all,

Just got FM24 and started a save in the Northern League Division 2 with Sunderland West End. I was thinking it might be funny to get to the premier league before the other Sunderland and really wanted to start lower down the football pyramid. The board expect a tophalf finish, media prediction is 13th, but the bookies rate my team as 21st. 

My coaching staff is taking shape, the board brought in a DoF, scouting is non-existent at this level I guess. Most players coming through the scouting centre are over their 30's and unaffordable. I only managed to bring in a 16 year old and a 24 year old on loan. All players I offer contracts to are picked up by other clubs. So I keep struggling with 4 16 year olds in the 1st team squad. Currently on 5 losses and 2 draws, but Xg-wise I should have gotten more. 

It's a brutal world here in the lower leagues, but somehow I enjoy it. Let's see where this save takes me!

FM23

Leamington FC

Season 2024/5

"The Brakes""

Leamington FC had been relegated from Vanarama League North in 2023/4 season after several seasons in the Division and had not adapted very well to life in Southern League Premier Central which had cost the previous incumbent his job. On 5th January I was appointed Manager of Leamington FC until end June 2026. The league position was desperate but I had confidence in my abilities to lift "The Brakes" from their slumber.

Screenshot2023-11-16233621.png.769231edbebcbf84daf036cc353dd0c7.png 

A quick review of the Club indicated that everything was superior at Leamington compared with Shirehampton; player ability, budgets, staff ability and qualifications, finances, supporter base. The pre-season media prediction of 14th surprised me as I felt the squad should have been strong enough to compete much higher up the table. At our first meeting the players left me in no doubt that they felt we were doomed to relegation despite my efforts in inject belief in our ability to rise up the table. The fixture list did nothing to encourage a positive start with fixtures against the 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st and 6th placed clubs in the division in my first five games. We managed a single point from those first five fixtures and the first victory of my tenure occurred in our 8th fixture. It was clear from these initial fixtures that all the strikers at the club either lacked confidence in front of goal or were just sh***. My scouts were unable to find me any alternatives that were willing to become involved in a relegation battle and so our fate was sealed with three fixtures remaining. 

The final League positions were:

Screenshot2023-12-05202521.png.51e2435ad36549a245f2086e2ff1898b.png

Surprisingly I was not summoned to attend a Board meeting and be given a P45. It appears I shall be given an opportunity to return Leamington to the Regional Premier Division. It will be a massive task though as several players want to leave or have been at the club for two successive relegations and their morale is shot.

The grass is rarely greener for an FM Llama!!

Previous Club Watch:

Screenshot2023-12-05202616.png.a2d170ec21cd76578ae5e009593e724b.png 

Shirehampton were relegated 

Edited by Soulfusion