The Realism Thread

The Latvian is gone. He was the GK-Assistant too, so that was a problem at first, but at the start of the new season I found a good replacement for him for the coaching part. And yeah the polish dude is still my first GK, but we have two young ones too. But the better choice attribute-wise, quite unbelieable, is just 167 cm height :lol: so not going to happen. The other one is shaky with his nerves, so he got playing time in the cup, where I was the victim of another late long shot in the second round ... so thats that. 

Found a replacement and almost signed him for the midpoint of the season (from another club in my league), but saw in the last moment, that he was also just 177 cm height ... I recall norwegians to be taller a bit in general :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So being an hour or so into my save and unlikely to have a prolonged session until the weekend, I thought I would ask if anyone has used Weiry's additional league files from the editor download forums? Just interested from a realism perspective obvs. Give me a shout on DM if so 🙂

It was all going so well...

Actually, to be fair, it really wasn't. We went seven games without a win (six of which were defeats), which is a problem in a 26-game season. That said, we did win the last two, so getting the boot at this moment in time was a bit of a surprise.

Onwards and upwards...

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 17.43.32.png

An interesting choice for some people may be Club Atletico Belgrano. They start the game in the Argentinian 2nd Division A (lowest playable in Argentina) What makes them an interesting choice is the fact they have not won a single trophy in there 115 year history. There youth recruitment is listed as Excellent. To put this into context FC Porto is also listed as Excellent. The teams nickname is also El Pirata which means The Pirates. And they have a 30,500 capacity stadium.

11 minutes ago, Haribo1681 said:

Actually, to be fair, it really wasn't. We went seven games without a win (six of which were defeats), which is a problem in a 26-game season. That said, we did win the last two, so getting the boot at this moment in time was a bit of a surprise.

Onwards and upwards...

Hard luck with the sacking. I have to admit I've struggled to make things work on a few of my test saves. Hopefully the future will bring more success!

14 minutes ago, Haribo1681 said:

Onwards and upwards...

First sacking of the thread this, love it! Keep updating, @Haribo1681!

1 minute ago, WilsonJuve said:

Hard luck with the sacking. I have to admit I've struggled to make things work on a few of my test saves. Hopefully the future will bring more success!

Cheers, me too! If nothing else, I'm happy to do my bit for disproving the 'the game is far too easy' theory. Either that or I am terrible.

1 minute ago, Haribo1681 said:

Check me out - a true 'pioneer'! :lol:

4 job interviews straight away though - and all in the English National League north/south with clubs just promoted, just before pre-season starts.

I can assure you that I will be joining you as soon as I get my save going :lol:

Sacking is far away for me, but I am gettin the feel, that the second season will be the end of the road with Alta for me.

We won a ridiculous game against one of the contenders for promotion at home 4:3 (after 45 min 3:3) but after that had one of the worst performances of the two seasons combined and lost 2:1 against 12th place. The inconsistency catching up with us ... although just two points away from the playoffs I don’t think we will make it. We concede far to many goals ... probably that’s on me, but I don’t want to change my two striker tactic for more control in the midfield. We are just to good offensively with this formation. And I rather play attractive and don’t reach promotion or playoffs than like last season, where we were very solid defensively but conceded in the important moments :lol:
Have an ongoing application with Patrick Thistle and so far they didn’t rejected me :D Would be a dream managing this club ... history, good infrastructure and a good young squad.

@Haribo1681 wish you luck :brock:

1 hour ago, Haribo1681 said:

Cheers, me too! If nothing else, I'm happy to do my bit for disproving the 'the game is far too easy' theory. Either that or I am terrible.

You're not alone, I'm awful, which you could argue is pretty realistic   :lol:

Good luck at Enfield, onwards and upwards!

Edited by Brother Ben

Cracking thread! I thought about quitting after seven underserved losses in a row taking me to the bottom of the table in the Vanarama North, but now I'm inspired to try and turn it around. Brackley hired me as they were in a relegation battle and I promised a mid-table finish, but I've yet to deliver the first win. Mid table won't be happening, but hopefully I can save them from relegation and get a second year.

I also play mostly by LLM rules, but the lazy version. Trying to restrict myself to players living close to the club or things like that looks like too much work.

5 minutes ago, kidd_05_u2 said:

Cracking thread! I thought about quitting after seven underserved losses in a row taking me to the bottom of the table in the Vanarama North, but now I'm inspired to try and turn it around. Brackley hired me as they were in a relegation battle and I promised a mid-table finish, but I've yet to deliver the first win. Mid table won't be happening, but hopefully I can save them from relegation and get a second year.

I also play mostly by LLM rules, but the lazy version. Trying to restrict myself to players living close to the club or things like that looks like too much work.

Keep going mate you're in good company here

A note I would like to make is the ease with which, season after season, the staff is constantly changed until you have the best, often choosing members from all over the world.
I would like a sort of staff "cohesion" to be introduced as happens for players, so that the more time a staff works together, the better results will be obtained in the long run and, above all, if changed too often, they make the group lose cohesion. having total performance lower than their normal value.

1 hour ago, Haribo1681 said:

Speak of the devil and a new thread about how easy it is appears.... 😂

I blame @Haribo1681 😂

57 minutes ago, Garlic said:

A note I would like to make is the ease with which, season after season, the staff is constantly changed until you have the best, often choosing members from all over the world.
I would like a sort of staff "cohesion" to be introduced as happens for players, so that the more time a staff works together, the better results will be obtained in the long run and, above all, if changed too often, they make the group lose cohesion. having total performance lower than their normal value.

Really good idea, one of the main problems is how easy it is to identify good staff.  Your idea is great though and it could maybe affect the quality of advice etc that you get from your assistant if you've been working together for years, something like that, I loved it when they introduced all of your staff leaving a club with you when you get sacked, it's little touches like that that make FM such a good game

Edited by Brother Ben

Current state of affairs ...

After the horrible loss we recovered and got a 1:0 away win against Floro, but should have won by more. Raufoss were relegated from the 2nd division together with the heavy favorites who are still struggeling in 10th place (Sogndal). But they lost quite a lot players after relegation ...

What do you think ... should I renew my contract, because I think the club will approach me soon (I've earned that much I think) or should I leave and hope for a bit better side? My squad is really decent and mostly secure for next season (captain will leave though because of money), but I have no way of improving it quickly. If we get the playoffs and possibly promotion its game over in the second division anyway :D But I dont think we will and next season will be no different I guess ... getting unemployed is not the best option though :onmehead:

Ps: Sry for the german client :eek:

20201130223314_1.jpg

Edited by Spallo

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

Really good idea, one of the main problems is how easy it is to identify good staff.  Your idea is great though and it could maybe affect the quality of advice etc that you get from your assistant if you've been working together for years, something like that, I loved it when they introduced all of your staff leaving a club with you when you get sacked, it's little touches like that that make FM such a good game

It's a great idea. I also like the concept of taking this even further and eventually reaching a point of diminishing returns. As in real life you'll have managers mix up their backroom staff in order to get fresh ideas.

I like this idea as well. But if that comes to the game, then SI has to be very careful about balancing this. If you get to much bonuses of specific combinations or synergies or whatever, then we have the too easy discussion even more :D

20 minutes ago, Spallo said:

Current state of affairs ...

After the horrible loss we recovered and got a 1:0 away win against Floro, but should have won by more. Raufoss were relegated from the 2nd division together with the heavy favorites who are still struggeling in 10th place (Sogndal). But they lost quite a lot players after relegation ...

What do you think ... should I renew my contract, because I think the club will approach me soon (I've earned that much I think) or should I leave and hope for a bit better side? My squad is really decent and mostly secure for next season (captain will leave though because of money), but I have no way of improving it quickly. If we get the playoffs and possibly promotion its game over in the second division anyway :D But I dont think we will and next season will be no different I guess ... getting unemployed is not the best option though :onmehead:

Ps: Sry for the german client :eek:

20201130223314_1.jpg

I'd stick with it but that's just me, love the look of the club though, really out on a limb in the far north

Love the indoor stadium too, check this website of Nordic stadiums its great https://www.nordicstadiums.com/finnmarkshallen/

There's even a video of your boys scoring a penalty

Edited by Brother Ben

1 minute ago, Spallo said:

I like this idea as well. But if that comes to the game, then SI has to be very careful about balancing this. If you get to much bonuses of specific combinations or synergies or whatever, then we have the too easy discussion even more :D

The key thing is that they make it work for the AI too.  This is where most FM problems are.

On 28/11/2020 at 23:02, Brother Ben said:

Or maybe you like a small stadium

Cambrian & Clydach  -  Wales - Cymru South  -  Capacity 250

This makes me very happy - I started my FM21 save with these after they sacked their manager. This is my first crack at Football Manager since FM15, so a lot has changed and my 18 months in South Wales reflected a very steep learning curve. After a disastrous first full season, in which I was expected to finish in the top 4, I staved off relegation as well as the sack. Unsurprisingly a new contract was not forthcoming and I left for pastures new. I'm now at Stranraer, who had just finished second bottom of the Scottish League Two where I'm expected to "be competitive".

Like many in here I have played a variant of LLM for as long as I care to remember since the days and it's been interesting to see how the game has fundamentally changed to cater for LLM even if its not played that way by the majority.

2 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

The key thing is that they make it work for the AI too.  This is where most FM problems are.

Guess you are right. Will be difficult ...

I was actually in Alta in 2009 on my way to the North Cape when I was backbacking in Norway for 4 or 5 weeks. If you look in gMaps you can see the Finnmarkshallen, where we have our home games ... I wonder how we improve this :lol: 1.250 people is not that many for future glory ...

Dont know if I stay here. Was glad to get a job in this great country, but I want to improve as a journeyman also. 

Guys, does lower league teams in this year FM play more like an lower league team? For the previous versions, i avoided playing lower league, because the players would just play like top players, making all sorts of curved long passes, scoring screamers every other match, and etc, so i would just play with top leagues so that the match would look more believable xD, but if this year those lower leagues are better represented in the ME i may do an LLM save. The last FM i tried to do one was FM 14, as i felt the lower league was quite decently represented in that game.

3 minutes ago, lucasnake said:

Guys, does lower league teams in this year FM play more like an lower league team? For the previous versions, i avoided playing lower league, because the players would just play like top players, making all sorts of curved long passes, scoring screamers every other match, and etc, so i would just play with top leagues so that the match would look more believable xD, but if this year those lower leagues are better represented in the ME i may do an LLM save. The last FM i tried to do one was FM 14, as i felt the lower league was quite decently represented in that game.

I can assure you that when I manage Barcelona, they play like St Albans City. Never the other way around.:D

54 minutes ago, Spallo said:

Guess you are right. Will be difficult ...

I was actually in Alta in 2009 on my way to the North Cape when I was backbacking in Norway for 4 or 5 weeks. If you look in gMaps you can see the Finnmarkshallen, where we have our home games ... I wonder how we improve this :lol: 1.250 people is not that many for future glory ...

Dont know if I stay here. Was glad to get a job in this great country, but I want to improve as a journeyman also. 

I say stick it out, if you have another season in you. At 26 games it seems like the seasons are relatively short, so you can always move on quickly if things don't go any better.

hace 6 horas, lucasnake dijo:

In FM lower league teams play better than they do in real life, but it has always been like that. Having said that, the quality is lower than in the top leagues. For example, terrible defenses can get undone by long balls in a way that a top defense wouldn't.

What you say about screamers: IRL lower league teams score a bunch of goals from the edge of the penalty box, so it is right that they do in FM as well. Remember that at low levels the goal is very big for the crap keepers who can barely get off the mud, so any shot on target has a chance to score. In FM these long shots will look flashier than they do IRL, but use your imagination to make it uglier :)

So, I played my first match in the VNLS - it was a scrappy affair, away to Slough Town. We went ahead early, then we were behind just after the break. We equalised and then grabbed a winner deep in stoppage time. I punched the air as the team celebrated a valuable win away at a relegation rival.

One thing I did notice - there were very few efforts at goal; maybe six or seven shots each, which I thought seemed a bit low so I searched for statistics to see if this was an accurate reflection of real life.

I couldn't find any actual stats, but I did find highlights online for VNLS/N - what qualifies as a highlight to make up a three-minute video is most definitely subjective (there were several mis-placed crosses, for example). I think FM does a good job of representing lower league football - the type of chances that get created, the way mistakes occur, the style of football on display.

This has also crushed my dream of playing open, expansive short-passing football up through the leagues :lol:

2 hours ago, Haribo1681 said:

So, I played my first match in the VNLS - it was a scrappy affair, away to Slough Town. We went ahead early, then we were behind just after the break. We equalised and then grabbed a winner deep in stoppage time. I punched the air as the team celebrated a valuable win away at a relegation rival.

One thing I did notice - there were very few efforts at goal; maybe six or seven shots each, which I thought seemed a bit low so I searched for statistics to see if this was an accurate reflection of real life.

I couldn't find any actual stats, but I did find highlights online for VNLS/N - what qualifies as a highlight to make up a three-minute video is most definitely subjective (there were several mis-placed crosses, for example). I think FM does a good job of representing lower league football - the type of chances that get created, the way mistakes occur, the style of football on display.

This has also crushed my dream of playing open, expansive short-passing football up through the leagues :lol:

Right from the beginning I did not have that dream :lol: First season I played mostly long balls to my fast strikers and that worked pretty well, but resulted in quite a few lost balls. Now we play a bit more possesion based with shorter passes, but nowhere near tiki-taka or the like. I realized in the first season, that we have a better squad in the technical department than most sides, so I try to take advantage of it. Seems to work, but we do not make enough of our chances.

Update on Alta:

Speaking of not using chances ... we played against the surprisingly good side of Eidsvold at home and it ended 1:1. Was a really boring draw, because neither side wanted to loose points in the promotion race. After that we went on against Tromsdalen and we hit the bar or post four ******* times :seagull: again 1:1 at home and its getting to me a lot, that we cant seem to use the most clear cut chances. My captain refuses to renew the contract ... I think if I can sign him for the next season I will stay here for a year longer. In the transfer window I signed another young gun from Tromsoe, who replaced our aging right winger immediatly and did well in the last match ... he has got real talent and will hopefully develop in one of our best players in the next season (if I stay). I  am frightend about the beginning of the next season though, because last time we lost two really promising players. Still in a spot where we can challenge the playoffs, but if we go on like this, we will definetly coming up short again :rolleyes:

Edited by Spallo

Snuck an hour in this morning with Karabükspor. Quick squad and staff assessment is all I had time for. Suffice to say that save from one or two decent young lads, this is going to be an absolute slog. The huge debt needs to be paid off before the end of the season and first window transfers are off, so I can't imagine it will be pretty for some time yet.

Oh, and those couple of decent players? Neither will even consider extending beyond the current season because "the squad is not of a sufficient standard to meet their ambitions."

Mine either, you pair of eejits, but give me a break!

One of them is wanted by Bursaspor, who are obviously a much bigger club. Hopefully a bid will come in January.

4 hours ago, Haribo1681 said:

I punched the air as the team celebrated a valuable win away at a relegation rival.

That's what its all about!

When someone asks me why LLM? Why bother etc, moments like these are why  :)

Edited by Brother Ben

I am curious ... cause I am not playing exactly with the purpose of being an LLM-Manager but rather a inexperienced journeyman - Am I still allowed to post updates here, if I get a decent professional job? :D My Alta IF stint looks promising so far and I really hope some other sides higher up the foodchain take notice of me :)

Edited by Spallo

12 minutes ago, Spallo said:

I am curious ... cause I am not playing exactly with the purpose of being an LLM-Manager but rather a inexperienced journeyman - Am I still allowed to post updates here, if I get a decent professional job? :D My Alta IF stint looks promising so far and I really hope some other sides higher up the foodchain take notice of me :)

Of course, the lowest leagues are just the starting point.  

Wow now my squad gets in turmoil ... last day in the transfer window and two players want to leave badly. Maybe scorched earth here, after I have left :D And I realize, that my contract will end on 31. December cause I am in Norway. Not the worst time to get unemployed figure ;)

Edited by Spallo

Hilarious ... now my young striker who has found is stroke lately gets an offer and the chairman steps in again. And not for an offer that was worth it. A waive and go unemployed sooner then I thought. If you dont want to get better fine, but not with me :mad:

I guess I set up a really good league to database ratio :lol: Somebody said it is to easy, because you dont get raided by teams hiher up the hierarchy ... yeah well, here we are. seems to me its all about the chosen preferences of the safe 

8 hours ago, Spallo said:

Whats OCD? 

Short for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  I don't actually have it, I don't think - although maybe all of us Llamas do to a point.

I just meant that I won't be able to bring myself to continue my game if the rules are wrong.

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Short for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  I don't actually have it, I don't think - although maybe all of us Llamas do to a point.

I just meant that I won't be able to bring myself to continue my game if the rules are wrong.

Same here - I suspect that the rules regarding signing non-EU players will probably never actually affect me in this save game, but you never know.

I'll keep plugging away until any update is confirmed and if/when that happens, it'll be back to square one...

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Cause I am german and dont necessarily go to GB a lot as a manager, it wont effect me that much. Although I am on the OCD as well I guess :D In an ideal World I would play with all leagues available through editor files at one point, but if the german league system comes out, I will settle with all first leagues in europe and the massive 50+ leagues in Germany.

Update on the career:

I resigned in anger after the chairman gave our promising striker away for nothing more than pocket money. I still have no job, because the offers were not that great. One from Northern Irland - maybe one of the worst clubs in the entire game - and one from bulgaria second division. The club was in an hopeless position and payed 1.900 a week to an 32 year old goalkeeper ... next top earner got 150. I wonder with whom he slept with at the club :lol: Now Longford from Irland is an option ...

Maybe it was a mistake to leave ...

Ps: I have a lot of time to play at the moment, because I have a homeoffice (even without covid) job and one of my projects got postponed till next week ... forced holiday so to say :cool:

15 hours ago, Junkhead said:

Brexit rules announced tonight and talk from Miles of a hotfix. Will see what happens with that, but OCD won't let me carry on my save. Glad I was only a couple of hours in.

With any luck a hotfix to the newgen issues will come at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

With any luck a hotfix to the newgen issues will come at the same time. 

Would be nice. I don't get a lot of time and this weekend has been earmarked for a proper run at it so fingers crossed.

I honestly expect the brexit fix today, the regen one could go either way though.

2 minuti fa, Junkhead ha scritto:

Would be nice. I don't get a lot of time and this weekend has been earmarked for a proper run at it so fingers crossed.

I honestly expect the brexit fix today, the regen one could go either way though.

fingers crossed. I thought they were waiting yesterday's statement to make everything fit in a single fix.

Just now, LolloViola said:

fingers crossed. I thought they were waiting yesterday's statement to make everything fit in a single fix.

I think they always knew a brexit hotfix was likely, the regen issue is a left field one they weren't aware of.  So unless they have said different or they have coincidentally resolved the regen issue at the same time this was announced, my guess is that they will be separate fixes. I don't know though.