Turbo frequency: 4.0ghz

RAM: 8gb

RAM Clockspeed: 3200mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660ti - 6gb

Graphics: very high 

Storage: ssd

Benchmark A: 2:49

Benchmark B: 14:07

New laptop purchased mainly for fm21 and I’d love some feedback from more technically minded people if those are good times for the system and if I could potentially get better for the price (£650) 

Looking to upgrade the RAM to 16gb but unsure if this will make much (if any) difference? 

Recently upgraded the ram to dual memory 16gb (2x8gb), same speed at 3200MHz and cl from 22 originally to 20 now and the benchmark a results were interesting.

Benchmark a - 2.25 

Benchmark b - 10.46

Benchmark c - 14.34

Benchmark d - 30.30 - 

I generally see a lot of comments explaining that ram doesn’t have too much of a difference but I’d say 24 seconds and 3m21s is definitely a difference! 
one thing worth bearing in mind is it seems ryzen cpu’s typically seem to underperform on single channel memory and this can be boosted a fair amount by upgrading the ram to dual channel.

Edited by Boroboss

11 hours ago, Boroboss said:

I generally see a lot of comments explaining that ram doesn’t have too much of a difference but I’d say 24 seconds and 3m21s is definitely a difference! 
one thing worth bearing in mind is it seems ryzen cpu’s typically seem to underperform on single channel memory and this can be boosted a fair amount by upgrading the ram to dual channel.

I got the impression that going from 8 Gb to 16 Gb definitely has an impact but going from 2400 to 3000 Mhz f.e. has a lot less impact. I also read somewhere that the effect of dual sticks instead of single stick has a huge impact on Ryzen systems.

1 hour ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

I got the impression that going from 8 Gb to 16 Gb definitely has an impact but going from 2400 to 3000 Mhz f.e. has a lot less impact. I also read somewhere that the effect of dual sticks instead of single stick has a huge impact on Ryzen systems.

I guess the best way to test this is for one of the guys on this thread to take out a stick of ram and test the difference 

17 minutes ago, Boroboss said:

The difference between 8gb and 16gb? I already did that the differences were huge

Genuinely I find that surprising if all you're running is FM.  Be interesting to see if it's just yourself or if it's the same for everyone.

The difference could be attributed to less latency and the dual channels

Just want to be sure that's all before everyone runs out to to get larger RAM expecting a 30% performance boost

17 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Genuinely I find that surprising if all you're running is FM.  Be interesting to see if it's just yourself or if it's the same for everyone.

The difference could be attributed to less latency and the dual channels

Just want to be sure that's all before everyone runs out to to get larger RAM expecting a 30% performance boost

Yeah I get you that’s why I explained the issue with ryzen underperforming in single channel so not everyone expects the same boost. 

Like you suggest a larger data set would be ideal but all I can say is it’s a new laptop, I have done 0 to it other than keep up to date with bios and drivers and then replaced the ram.

ive seen a boost on every game I play but as that is FPS increases and stability it’s a little hard to compare to fm21 with the processing times.

Just now, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Odd thing, I tried the Benchmark A twice again same setup. 1st time 3m26sec , 2nd time 3m03sec. It seems there is some standard deviation going on. Not sure what would impact it as no background or other programs were running while testing...

I tried a 6 times or so the first time once it was about 15 seconds longer but the rest were all the same give or take half a second or so and again a few weeks later and got the same time. Each time laptop was in high performance mode (it always is) fresh restart no other programs running, full battery and plugged in was pretty consistent around the 2.49/50 mark even this time when I got the massive reduction in times I triple checked every setting and ran benchmark a 3 times getting 2.25 each time, I would expect a consistent performance though from a new machine with only games and launchers installed.

I would just check task manager and google any processes you are unsure about and that should confirm if it’s essential or bloatware running. 

On 14/02/2021 at 15:43, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Type: Desktop

Model: Custom Build

CPU Model: i5 - 4670K

CPU Base Frequency: 3,4GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.8 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 1600Mhz

GPU: 2x R9 290 with 4Gb each

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Storage Type: SSD for game files, HDD for save games & graphics

Benchmark A : 3 min 9 sec

2:50 is what I have for test A with the same system except mine is overclocked to 4.1 and i've only got one stick of 8GB ram as one died a while back

I know you're looking to upgrade but have you tried overclocking?

Edited by Brother Ben

ModelCustom Built  X570 Aorus Ultra

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 3950x

CPU Base Frequency: 3.5Ghz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.7Ghz

RAM: 32GB DDR4 (8GBx4) but uses dual channel not sure how to make it quad channel

RAM Clockspeed: 3182Mhz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700XT looking to upgrade, any suggestions?

Storage Type: SSD M.2. 500GB should've got a bigger size, files are getting so big these days

Benchmark A: 01 min 48 Sec

Benchmark B: 08 min 02 Sec

Benchmark C: 09 min 30 Sec

Benchmark D: 15 min 47 sec

i did forget to restart my computer, which i've been using all day but wouldn't imagine it would much faster probably a few seconds

Edited by J-Hood

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Graphics card only affects the ME graphics, nothing else. 

In ME graphics with the GTX1650 Ti will be cover the demands to play at the highest or can I get more fluid with the RTX 2060? Keep in mind that this machine will last until FM24 (change every 3 years exactly). Thanks for your answer.

Edited by Rojopasion

1 hour ago, Rojopasion said:

In ME graphics with the GTX1650 Ti will be cover the demands to play at the highest or can I get more fluid with the RTX 2060? Keep in mind that this machine will last until FM24 (change every 3 years exactly). Thanks for your answer.

I think the 1650Ti will be more than enough for sure. RTX 2060 only makes sense if you play other games. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

14 hours ago, Rojopasion said:

1650Ti is fine for FM21.  We can't comment on future FM's as SI may make changes to the graphics in future iterations, so it's impossible  to say for sure.

What we can say is the graphics requirements haven't changed much over the last few years so if SI keeps to that, then the 1650Ti will be more than adaquate.

As @Gee_Simpson said, the laptop with the 2060 may be worth considering if you thinking of playing other games as well as FM.

@Gee_Simpson @kevhamster I have been exclusive to the CM / FM saga for more than 20 years. I don't play other games, so I won't give so much importance to graphics. Thanks for your advices. As for the microprocessor, I never had doubts that the correct one was the R7 4800H to take advantage of the multi-core in the full detail processing, but it is almost out of the market right now, that is why perhaps I should give in and settle for the I7 10750H, which in any case has given great results according to the benchmarks here. I like to play with all the continent active leagues, and I play long saves so I have to think about the long term in processing. Right now I'm still playing FM17, a +5000 hour save game.

5 minutes ago, Rojopasion said:

@Gee_Simpson @kevhamster I have been exclusive to the CM / FM saga for more than 20 years. I don't play other games, so I won't give so much importance to graphics. Thanks for your advices. As for the microprocessor, I never had doubts that the correct one was the R7 4800H to take advantage of the multi-core in the full detail processing, but it is almost out of the market right now, that is why perhaps I should give in and settle for the I7 10750H, which in any case has given great results according to the benchmarks here. I like to play with all the continent active leagues, and I play long saves so I have to think about the long term in processing. Right now I'm still playing FM17, a +5000 hour save game.

Whilst the Ryzen 7 4800H is the stronger CPU, the i7-10750H is still an excellent option.  So, you're struggling to find something with the Ryzen 7 option, the Intel one should still do a very good job for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

Great thread!

I ran this on my work machine and I was surprised at the results - I expected better. I didn't monitor the CPU load when running it, but I would guess that FM doesn't use all of the cores - or at least not efficiently. Which I'd kinda expect on your typical game but I did assume a spreadsheet game like FM would have taken advantage of all 32c/64t.

Type: Desktop
Model: Custom
CPU Model: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
CPU Base Frequency: 3.7GHz
CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.5GHz
RAM: 64GB
RAM Clockspeed: 3600MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB
Graphics Level in 3D: Very High
Storage Type: SSD (PCIe 4.0 NVME)

Benchmark A: 01 min 58 Sec
Benchmark B: 08 min 45 Sec
Benchmark C: 09 min 49 Sec
Benchmark D: 15 min 53 Sec

Type: PC

Model: Custom built - MSI MEG Unify B550

CPU Model: Ryzen 7 5800X

CPU Base Frequency: 3.8 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.7 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 4000Mhz

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5600XT Gaming X 6GB

Storage Type: SSD

Benchmark A: 1 min 23 sec

Benchmark B: 6 min 12 sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 07 sec

Benchmark D: 17 min 51 sec (to 4th Sept), 16 min 39 sec (to 3rd Sept) [Wasn't sure which one benchmark was meant to be to]

Edited by MarkFB

On 28/03/2021 at 14:40, MarkFB said:

Model: Custom built - MSI MEG Unify B550

CPU Model: Ryzen 7 5800X

CPU Base Frequency: 3.8 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.7 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 4000Mhz

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5600XT Gaming X 6GB

Benchmark A: 1 min 23 sec

Benchmark B: 6 min 12 sec

Benchmark C: 8 min 07 sec

Benchmark D: 17 min 51 sec (to 4th Sept), 16 min 39 sec (to 3rd Sept) [Wasn't sure which one benchmark was meant to be to]

That's impressive,  Been thinking about a 5800x setup with B550 mobo.  Many reviews say 5800x isnt worth it over the 5600x and just go for 5900x, but am sure you ran into the same issue as everyone else that 5900x are beyond rare, and results don't lie for 5800x.  What memory are you running in this build, and also, what SSD?

Edited by Phil930

• 2 weeks later...

Spreadsheet & Screenshots fully updated in post 2

Really surprised with the Threadripper results from @PelzUK seems like we're still a long way off full multiple core support, even on full detail

Would love to see some overclocked Intel 11th gen results, especially the i5 which looks like really good value in todays market

Thanks again to all who have made the effort to get involved, the benchmarking has gone from strength to strength every year  :applause:

Edited by Brother Ben

• 2 weeks later...

@Brother Ben I've replaced my desktop with a new laptop, think some might be interested in seeing how the new Legion 5 Pro with RTX 3070 holds up :)

Type: Laptop

Model: Legion 5 Pro

CPU Model: Ryzen 7 - 5800H

CPU Base Frequency: 3,2GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.4 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 3200 Mhz

GPU: 140W RTX 3070 with 8Gb RAM

Storage Type: 1TB M.2 SSD

Benchmark A : 1 min 49 sec

Benchmark B : 8 min 15 sec

Benchmark C : 10 min 54 sec

Benchmark D : 22 min 11 sec

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

5 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

@Brother Ben I've replaced my desktop with a new laptop, think some might be interested in seeing how the new Legion 5 Pro with RTX 3070 holds up :)

GPU: 140W RTX 3070 with 6Gb RAM

I have this on order so delighted to see this. I would much appreciate it if you could please let me know if the tests were conducted in performance mode, and what the thermals are like when processing during FM? Many thanks 😊 My current lenovo ran very hot during FM17 but has been much cooler with the more recent versions of the game.

Edited by stevewright
Spelling

11 hours ago, stevewright said:

I have this on order so delighted to see this. I would much appreciate it if you could please let me know if the tests were conducted in performance mode, and what the thermals are like when processing during FM? Many thanks 😊 My current lenovo ran very hot during FM17 but has been much cooler with the more recent versions of the game.

They were conducted in performance mode. By comparison, I started Benchmark A first in quiet mode and it took longer than my old desktop :D I didn't check CPU thermals sorry. GPU was below 50°C after each benchmark, but then again this benchmark is CPU heavy. I can say that running 3D Mark Timespy gave max 93°C for CPU and 75°C for the GPU for a combined score of 10614 btw. 

17 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

GPU: 140W RTX 3070 with 8Gb RAM

Best performing Laptop that's been tested.  By quite some margin.  Blows a hell of a lot of desktop processors out of the water too 

What's the cost of it?  (if you don't mind me asking)

Edited by Brother Ben

4 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Best performing Laptop that's been tested.  By quite some margin.  Blows a hell of a lot of desktop processors out of the water too 

What's the cost of it?  (if you don't mind me asking)

I paid 1699 € for it which I find a very reasonable price. Alu body and slick design, great keyboard, amazing specs (GPU runs at max W allowed), jaw-dropping screen (like really doubting to hook it up to my external monitor as initially planned), upgradeability (RAM can go to 32Gb in the future, 2nd M.2 slot for SSD). It's by far imho the best price/quality product you can find nowadays... if you can find it  (usually sold out in a few hours)

It does show a drop in performance comparison with the bigger benchmarks it seems, I guess the CPU/machine isn't optimized for extended loads. Or it's just random. I wonder if a cooling pad would help to squeeze out extra performance, but I reckon not. 

I hope it will last me a good few years!

2 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

I paid 1699 € for it which I find a very reasonable price. Alu body and slick design, great keyboard, amazing specs (GPU runs at max W allowed), jaw-dropping screen (like really doubting to hook it up to my external monitor as initially planned), upgradeability (RAM can go to 32Gb in the future, 2nd M.2 slot for SSD). It's by far imho the best price/quality product you can find nowadays... if you can find it  (usually sold out in a few hours)

It does show a drop in performance comparison with the bigger benchmarks it seems, I guess the CPU/machine isn't optimized for extended loads. Or it's just random. I wonder if a cooling pad would help to squeeze out extra performance, but I reckon not. 

I hope it will last me a good few years!

It's an excellent bit of kit and you are right about the price its very reasonable. 

I wouldn't worry about the other benchmarks, really you can only compare to other gaming laptops.  Comparing to Desktops is apples and oranges really

22 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Some say that gap is closing and they might be right but I think it will take another 5 years to close it completely if ever.

Compared to where we were 10 years ago the closing of the gap is staggering really.  I'll have to dig out some old Benchmarking threads to compare

**EDIT**  I found the FM12 benchmark thread and i've skimmed the entirety of the first page and there's no Laptops involved at all.  Make of that what you will

Edited by Brother Ben

14 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

They were conducted in performance mode. By comparison, I started Benchmark A first in quiet mode and it took longer than my old desktop :D I didn't check CPU thermals sorry. GPU was below 50°C after each benchmark, but then again this benchmark is CPU heavy. I can say that running 3D Mark Timespy gave max 93°C for CPU and 75°C for the GPU for a combined score of 10614 btw. 

Thanks for the info & that's an impressive Timespy score. Even more excited for mine to arrive now.

7 hours ago, stevewright said:

Thanks for the info & that's an impressive Timespy score. Even more excited for mine to arrive now.

When is it due? I might try to do another Benchmark A test with the laptop in balanced mode, just to check how big the performance drop is. Will try to find an way to get CPU temps too.

In all honesty, I absolutely love this piece of machine. Until now I haven't found anything negative to say about it. Hope it stays that way :D 

1 hour ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

When is it due? I might try to do another Benchmark A test with the laptop in balanced mode, just to check how big the performance drop is. Will try to find an way to get CPU temps too.

In all honesty, I absolutely love this piece of machine. Until now I haven't found anything negative to say about it. Hope it stays that way :D 

That's great to hear! Another 4 weeks sadly,  although I'm hoping it might get shipped early. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again :-)

1 hour ago, stevewright said:

That's great to hear! Another 4 weeks sadly,  although I'm hoping it might get shipped early. Fingers crossed. 

Thanks again :-)

I quickly did a Benchmark A on balanced mode : 1 min 50 sec. So hardly any difference, fans hardly working so I guess that is the best way forward playing FM. When only browsing, writing & reading stuff put it on silent mode (and it really is completely silent) and when playing stuff like Cyberpunk and what not, put it balanced or if you lack a bit of fps, put it on performance mode. Another tip I read somewhere which might be interesting if you use the laptop with battery a lot: FN+R combo switches screen between 60 Hz and 165 Hz. 

I also ran Timespy now on balanced mode and got a score of 9817 combined. GPU dropped from 10894 to 9952 and CPU dropped from 9265 to 9119. So another prove that the difference between balanced and performance mode isn't big for CPU heavy games like FM. Temps on balanced mode were max 87°C for CPU and 69°C for GPU. All quite reasonable I think. With a laptop stand people mentioned another 4°C drop.

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

Model: N/A

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Base Frequency: 3.7GHz (overclocked)

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.7 GHz

RAM: 8GB

RAM Clockspeed: 2933Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 FE - 10GB

Benchmark A: 2mins 42secs

On 26/11/2020 at 18:34, Malicious Penguin said:

Model: HP Pavilion 15 (ec1001na)

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H

CPU Base Frequency: 3 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4 GHz

RAM: 8GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3192Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 - 4GB

Benchmark A: 2m 30s

Benchmark B: 11m 30s

Benchmark C: 15m 06s

Hi mate 

I have same spec as you. Just wondered how many playable leagues you run and processing time? Looking for my last longterm save and dont want to get 5 seasons in and find I've loaded too much and its painfully slow. 

Type: Custom desktop

Model: Desktop

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

CPU Base Frequency: 3.8ghz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.4ghz

RAM Clockspeed: @3200mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Graphics Level in 3D: Very high

Benchmark A: 2 mins 01 seconds

Benchmark B: 9 mins 13 seconds

Benchmark C: 11 mins 58 seconds

Benchmark D: 25 min 56 seconds

I know this is kind of late in the FM21 lifecycle, but the CPU/GPU shortage has been a killer.

After spending way too much on hardware and the last week or so overclocking the tar out of everything, here are my results:

Model: Custom

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

CPU Base Frequency: 3.4GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.9GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3600MHz

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090

Benchmark A: 1 min 18 secs

Benchmark B: 5 min 43 secs

Benchmark C: 6 min 39 secs

Benchmark D: 11 min 35 secs

Type: Desktop

Model: Desktop

CPU Model:  RYZEN 5 1600 

CPU Base Frequency: 3.2GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.60 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 1499Mhz DDR4

GPU: Geforce Gtx 1660 Super

Benchmark A: 02 min 53 Sec - Overclocked to 3.8ghz 02 min 41 sec

Benchmark B: 12 min 16 sec - Overclocked to 3.8ghz 11 min 55 sec

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2021 at 07:33, DJ Sir Matthew said:

I quickly did a Benchmark A on balanced mode : 1 min 50 sec. So hardly any difference, fans hardly working so I guess that is the best way forward playing FM. When only browsing, writing & reading stuff put it on silent mode (and it really is completely silent) and when playing stuff like Cyberpunk and what not, put it balanced or if you lack a bit of fps, put it on performance mode. Another tip I read somewhere which might be interesting if you use the laptop with battery a lot: FN+R combo switches screen between 60 Hz and 165 Hz. 

I also ran Timespy now on balanced mode and got a score of 9817 combined. GPU dropped from 10894 to 9952 and CPU dropped from 9265 to 9119. So another prove that the difference between balanced and performance mode isn't big for CPU heavy games like FM. Temps on balanced mode were max 87°C for CPU and 69°C for GPU. All quite reasonable I think. With a laptop stand people mentioned another 4°C drop.

Finally its arrived! Got some interesting results when benchmarking.

On Time spy, balanced result was 10204 GPU / 9678 CPU. I followed this straight away on performance and got 11020 / 9211 which wasn't what I was expecting on the CPU. Rebooted and got 11023/ 10029.

In regard to the FM benchmarks, I conducted some last week & they were a few seconds slower than yours which again was a surprise as I've got 32gb ram (I know there's issues with the ram). Since then I've updated the Bios and got 10:18 on balanced and 10:08 on performance for Benchmark C. This was achieved opening FM upon boot up. I also found that if you re-load the benchmark and carry out the test for a second time, it was almost a minute slower.

I've got my eyes on 5900x but I see weird results up to 1min difference between the same (vaguely) type of PC. I wonder if this is because of overclocking or maybe overheating due to lack of cooling/airflow inside the case. 

Any thoughts?