MAN CITY Help!!

Help me, fellas. I want to make Man City tactics.
There are two key points.
1. High possesion & high pressure
2. Attack pattern in which the winger spreads wide, pulls the opposing side defender and the midfielder penetrates between them.

Question1. What role should I give the winger? 
I don't think I should use IW or IF to give it to a midfielder who gets the ball from the side and penetrates, but I don't think W is suitable either. Should I use WTM?

Question2. Penetrating Midfielder
I'm thinking about using the MEZ. Do you have a better role?

Question3. Attack Width
We need to set it as wide as possible to spread the winger to the side, right?

Question4. Pass Length
It's also about the width of the attack, so wouldn't it be difficult to use a short pass if i spread it wide?

Question 5. Tactical Propensity & Tempo
I chose the dominant type to bring in Possession. What should I do with the tempo? Their movements in the real game seem pretty fast. Should i raise the tempo? Or should I get off?

Have a play with it in-game & see, sounds interesting

1) Wingers sound ideal here & wide (Wing Play template?). WTM could be interesting to try out but they'll act as a focus for your team & may cause your team to pass long to them, sounds like you want runners on the ball out wide

2) MEZ(A), CM(A), a BBM or RPM might do. You'll need balance here so maybe a BBM(S) & CM(A)  

3) Spread the play to open the middle, focus play down both flanks

4) With short passing you may limit your player options  & they end up hoofing it 

5) Lower mentalities are better for keeping possession as they reduce risk. Maybe start with Balanced, higher tempo & start from there. Same for passing & width  

17 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Have a play with it in-game & see, sounds interesting

1) Wingers sound ideal here & wide (Wing Play template?). WTM could be interesting to try out but they'll act as a focus for your team & may cause your team to pass long to them, sounds like you want runners on the ball out wide

2) MEZ(A), CM(A), a BBM or RPM might do. You'll need balance here so maybe a BBM(S) & CM(A)  

3) Spread the play to open the middle, focus play down both flanks

4) With short passing you may limit your player options  & they end up hoofing it 

5) Lower mentalities are better for keeping possession as they reduce risk. Maybe start with Balanced, higher tempo & start from there. Same for passing & width  

Thanks for your advice. I will use winger and wtm. I will use two MEZ(A) Or CM(A) because HB and two IWB will cover them

As you know man city's key point is high possesion so If i spread attack width, it's hard to get a high possesion. Hmm I'm still thinking about it.

23 minutes ago, a5864003 said:

Thanks for your advice. I will use winger and wtm. I will use two MEZ(A) Or CM(A) because HB and two IWB will cover them

As you know man city's key point is high possesion so If i spread attack width, it's hard to get a high possesion. Hmm I'm still thinking about it.

Yeah, high possession won't be easy if you're playing wide, a Balanced mentality with extra width shouldn't be that wide & the Man City players should be capable of making the pass, experiment with it a bit   

4 hours ago, a5864003 said:

Question1. What role should I give the winger? 
I don't think I should use IW or IF to give it to a midfielder who gets the ball from the side and penetrates, but I don't think W is suitable either. Should I use WTM?

Question2. Penetrating Midfielder
I'm thinking about using the MEZ. Do you have a better role?

Honestly it is almost impossible to say what roles should be used without knowing what other roles are around them. Roles should never be considered in isolation from each other. The roles of the players around the winger will influence how effective he is at what he you want him to do. 

To create the movement you describe I would first try a winger with a CM(A) inside him, and some kind of fullback who gets close enough to support the winger. The reason you would want a wing back close by is to act as a passing outlet who can also get the ball from the winger and play the ball through to the CM(A). You will also probably want a central outlet to recycle the ball if this does not work. Work ball into box is something to play with if the winger wants to cross. 

I would not use the Mez with a winger to create what you describe, because he will normally be running towards the wide channels. This will create an overload, but not the play you describe. You could pair a Mez with an IF or IW, and then the Mez will bring the ball out wide, and the IF/IW will be the one who break inside and get the ball. You will still want a wing back close behind to support them. There are many ways to can try to do this, so play around and see what works. 

Question3. Attack Width
We need to set it as wide as possible to spread the winger to the side, right?

In principle yes, but one valid way to defend against you in this case would be to still defend narrow and just let you have the wide spaces and deal with the crosses. This is one way to park the bus. You would need to make sure you are overloading the wide areas to force the opposition to deal with those spaces. 

Question4. Pass Length
It's also about the width of the attack, so wouldn't it be difficult to use a short pass if i spread it wide?

I'd leave it to start, and keep track of the passes. You get a breakdown of the pass length and directions in the match report in the inbox after a game, so you can check if you are happy with the pass length and modify accordingly. 

Question 5. Tactical Propensity & Tempo
I chose the dominant type to bring in Possession. What should I do with the tempo? Their movements in the real game seem pretty fast. Should i raise the tempo? Or should I get off?

It depends. Higher mentality means higher risk, which basically translates to players trying more risky things. They will be more direct and quicker. Lower mentalities will keep the ball more, but they are more risk averse and you will get more sterile possession. Probably there is not a single answer to this, it is something you will probably want to adjust in games depending on what your opponent is doing. For example lowering your mentality and keeping the ball could take the sting out of a team. Going positive when a team seems like they are having a bad spell could help.

Tempo is linked to this. You could, for example, have an attacking mentality so players take more risks, but use shorter passing and lower tempo so they are not just going crazy and being too attacking and giving up possession too easily. Or you could do the reverse from a cautious mentality (and maybe with takes more risks). Honestly I could not tell you which will work best, because there are a bunch of ways to more or less get to a similar point, and you will have to play around to see what works and when it works. And when you work out why it works, you will destroy everyone. 

59 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Honestly it is almost impossible to say what roles should be used without knowing what other roles are around them. Roles should never be considered in isolation from each other. The roles of the players around the winger will influence how effective he is at what he you want him to do. 

To create the movement you describe I would first try a winger with a CM(A) inside him, and some kind of fullback who gets close enough to support the winger. The reason you would want a wing back close by is to act as a passing outlet who can also get the ball from the winger and play the ball through to the CM(A). You will also probably want a central outlet to recycle the ball if this does not work. Work ball into box is something to play with if the winger wants to cross. 

I would not use the Mez with a winger to create what you describe, because he will normally be running towards the wide channels. This will create an overload, but not the play you describe. You could pair a Mez with an IF or IW, and then the Mez will bring the ball out wide, and the IF/IW will be the one who break inside and get the ball. You will still want a wing back close behind to support them. There are many ways to can try to do this, so play around and see what works. 

In principle yes, but one valid way to defend against you in this case would be to still defend narrow and just let you have the wide spaces and deal with the crosses. This is one way to park the bus. You would need to make sure you are overloading the wide areas to force the opposition to deal with those spaces. 

I'd leave it to start, and keep track of the passes. You get a breakdown of the pass length and directions in the match report in the inbox after a game, so you can check if you are happy with the pass length and modify accordingly. 

It depends. Higher mentality means higher risk, which basically translates to players trying more risky things. They will be more direct and quicker. Lower mentalities will keep the ball more, but they are more risk averse and you will get more sterile possession. Probably there is not a single answer to this, it is something you will probably want to adjust in games depending on what your opponent is doing. For example lowering your mentality and keeping the ball could take the sting out of a team. Going positive when a team seems like they are having a bad spell could help.

Tempo is linked to this. You could, for example, have an attacking mentality so players take more risks, but use shorter passing and lower tempo so they are not just going crazy and being too attacking and giving up possession too easily. Or you could do the reverse from a cautious mentality (and maybe with takes more risks). Honestly I could not tell you which will work best, because there are a bunch of ways to more or less get to a similar point, and you will have to play around to see what works and when it works. And when you work out why it works, you will destroy everyone. 

Thank you for your kind reply. This is the first position I thought of.

Dlf(a)

W(s)                                    W(s)

Mez(a)          mez(a)

Hb

Iwb(d)     bpd(d)  bpd(d)        iwb(s)

As you know,Pep's Man City put their fullbacks in the center to prepare for a counterattack when two midfielders joined the attack. So I used iwb.
As you said, mez doesn't have the play I want... I need to do some more research.

You know, old Pepsi Man City put their fullbacks in the center to prepare for a counterattack when two midfielders joined the attack. So I used iwb.

This is what i want  at 2:35

If it’s 235 you want there are plenty of threads on here to search where that has been achieved. I had great success with “chasing the pep dreama step closer to pep “ and 04texag also had great success achieving that shape in his thread. 

14 hours ago, dazza11 said:

If it’s 235 you want there are plenty of threads on here to search where that has been achieved. I had great success with “chasing the pep dreama step closer to pep “ and 04texag also had great success achieving that shape in his thread. 

I want the midfielders to penetrate between fullbacks and center backs when the winger catches the ball, but they infiltrate into the penalty box. Has anyone solved this? Let me check your thread. It will take some time because there is too much English.

15 hours ago, a5864003 said:

Dlf(a)

W(s)                                    W(s)

Mez(a)          mez(a)

Hb

My first impressions here is that it is awfully symmetrical. Symmetry is not always a bad thing, but it typically means that a tactic will end up being quite one dimensional. I can see what you are aiming for though from the video, so I entirely understand your thinking. 

I think I said above that there are two ways you can think about setting this up that will give play that looks like this. A W(S) with a CM(A) inside, or an IF/IW with a MEZ(A). A W(S) with a Mez(A) will also work, but you leave yourself with no central penetration at all that way. 

I actually think the comment you made about a WTM might make some sense as well here, given the way that passage of play went. Long ball to a wide player, header inside. This is something to play with, assuming you have the players to pull it off. I'll leave that to you to play with, I have never used the role so I cannot comment intelligently on how well it would work. It would only be speculation not based on experience but on expectation. Which could be faultly.

I would set up something like this, and see what happens. 

Dlf(s)

IF(A)                                    W(s)

Mez(s)          CM(a)

Hb

You need to pay attention to the wing backs and how well that works out, and if the play on the wing breaks down because of lack of support. This is a pretty aggressive tactic with many people leaving the central area when you attack, so those FBs will need to be really good all round players to pull this off. You could think about changing the HB to something that stays further forward when you have the ball if the opposition has a very low goal threat and you do not need the 3 at the back all the time (riskier, but maybe there is a reward). The idea here is to create the pattern of play you describe in two different ways (admittedly the left flank is slightly different, but that is okay, you want more than one way to attack). The DLF will be there to help draw the defence up the pitch and create space behind to exploit. You will want to make sure you are not too conservative with passing and build up, because this will work best when you can transition quickly from defence to attack.