Jump to content

Which training schedules to use, and how to use match preparation


Recommended Posts

I have never looked too deeply into the training schedules side of the game. At some point, I may look to create my own schedules, but that isn't the purpose of this thread.

I have two questions:

1. What would be an efficient way to set up the pre-set training schedules? and

2. How do you effectively use the 'match preparation' sessions?

At the moment, my team plays with a slightly modified tiki taka, and so I almost every week I select 'tactical style - tiki taka' as the weekly training schedule. Something tells me that this is not a great way to do it!

Also, before every match, the pre-sets use 'match preview,' but I never seem to see any of these (except for 'match tactics' and 'match practice,' which are part of the tiki taka schedule):

image.png.cf59a12c09933abc66c78593f36456db.png

I feel like I am missing out by not taking advantage of these, but I don't know what to do with them. Should I swap 'match preview' for one of these? Should I keep 'match preview,' and add these elsewhere?

Any advice on training schedule set up would be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should keep Match Preview - I believe its necessary for the pre-match tactical briefing (which has always seemed undercooked, but if I get red thumbs down my team usually performs worse so it must have some effect). I'm still on FM19 but I know some are included in the 'Big Match Preparation' scenario. Match Review after the match is a great session which is only available if you add it in, it doesn't appear in any of the presets. I would strongly advise doing so, even if you ignore the rest of what I post.

I personally have found great success using - for my first team - schedules that are almost entirely filled with Match Preparation sessions. I was 'inspired' (copied, initially at least) by a post on strikerless which used them for youth team training as they are the best way to get players training their assigned individual roles (for outfield players the general Goalkeeping session, Att. Movement, Def. Shape, and Match Practice all train individual roles, goalkeepers get the same minus the Goalkeeping session). I ended up with schedules like this:

1147909155_Screenshot2020-11-25at16_54_17.png.a01aea58ee76c0059a3e6aacc1dd9f38.png

1859934184_Screenshot2020-11-25at16_56_29.png.83074d2c263ea399eb65ed2eb776c26b.png

Most of these sessions have a boost for the upcoming match i.e. Att. Movement focuses on Attacking Movement (obvious, right?) and passing, whilst the Delivery session improves your set piece delivery. It boosts your overall familiarity and Team Cohesion. Each boost only applies once, I'm only doubling down on the sessions as it allows me to control my players' development more. I always play with large squads for youth development, but the low intensity means I rarely ever get any injuries too. 

Now you could see it as gaming the system, but given how modern managers complain they don't have time to do much beyond getting ready for the next game I think it's realistic. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zlatanera said:

You should keep Match Preview - I believe its necessary for the pre-match tactical briefing (which has always seemed undercooked, but if I get red thumbs down my team usually performs worse so it must have some effect). I'm still on FM19 but I know some are included in the 'Big Match Preparation' scenario. Match Review after the match is a great session which is only available if you add it in, it doesn't appear in any of the presets. I would strongly advise doing so, even if you ignore the rest of what I post.

I personally have found great success using - for my first team - schedules that are almost entirely filled with Match Preparation sessions. I was 'inspired' (copied, initially at least) by a post on strikerless which used them for youth team training as they are the best way to get players training their assigned individual roles (for outfield players the general Goalkeeping session, Att. Movement, Def. Shape, and Match Practice all train individual roles, goalkeepers get the same minus the Goalkeeping session). I ended up with schedules like this:

1147909155_Screenshot2020-11-25at16_54_17.png.a01aea58ee76c0059a3e6aacc1dd9f38.png

1859934184_Screenshot2020-11-25at16_56_29.png.83074d2c263ea399eb65ed2eb776c26b.png

Most of these sessions have a boost for the upcoming match i.e. Att. Movement focuses on Attacking Movement (obvious, right?) and passing, whilst the Delivery session improves your set piece delivery. It boosts your overall familiarity and Team Cohesion. Each boost only applies once, I'm only doubling down on the sessions as it allows me to control my players' development more. I always play with large squads for youth development, but the low intensity means I rarely ever get any injuries too. 

Now you could see it as gaming the system, but given how modern managers complain they don't have time to do much beyond getting ready for the next game I think it's realistic. 

 

That's a really interesting way of looking at it, I hadn't paid a great deal of attention to the fact that those sessions train the players in their assigned roles. It makes sense when you explain it in that way.

Could I ask what the 'match review' that you recommended does?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a sticky in this forum explaining the whole training scheme. There are also several youtube videos by foxinthebox going into details.

In short, if you want to do the training yourself, you need to read what it says on it. There's 3 sessions possible per day and depending what session you choose the intensity of the training increases. When you have matches you might also have travel which takes away from available sessions. Match Preview you need for the tactical information. There is also a Match Review. There is Match Preparation, and they all improve tactical familiarity. There are set piece trainings that give you boosts for the next game - again read the descriptions carefully to see what the impact is on the tactic, on what attributes are trained, which training unit (attack, defense, goalkeeping) is training it and at what percentage, or if they will be training individual roles. You also need to take care at the overview screen if players complain that they want a certain training.

It is a bit complicated in the beginning but then very intuitive and everything is described.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tyro said:

There is a sticky in this forum explaining the whole training scheme. There are also several youtube videos by foxinthebox going into details.

In short, if you want to do the training yourself, you need to read what it says on it. There's 3 sessions possible per day and depending what session you choose the intensity of the training increases. When you have matches you might also have travel which takes away from available sessions. Match Preview you need for the tactical information. There is also a Match Review. There is Match Preparation, and they all improve tactical familiarity. There are set piece trainings that give you boosts for the next game - again read the descriptions carefully to see what the impact is on the tactic, on what attributes are trained, which training unit (attack, defense, goalkeeping) is training it and at what percentage, or if they will be training individual roles. You also need to take care at the overview screen if players complain that they want a certain training.

It is a bit complicated in the beginning but then very intuitive and everything is described.

 

Thanks for the reply. I might try and make my own schedules at some point, but for now I'm trying to stick, largely, to the pre-sets (though I may make some adjustments, such as the 'match review' session). I was wondering how to decide which pre-set would be best. If my team plays a tiki-taka-esque style, is selecting the tiki taka pre-set every week a reasonable idea, or are there any drawbacks? If so, how do I decide when to use it and when not, that kind of thing.

I might check those videos out though, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not an expert myself yet. I have just started diving into it. I am not sure what those tactical pre-sets train. I have used the attacking preset as a starting point and then edited it to make sure I have Match Review, Team Bonding, Community Outreach, and either attacking or defending set-pieces before a match (depending if I think the opposition is strong or weak). I will also add the attacking movement or defensive shape depending on opponent. I still have to find a good balance between training various styles or packages vs. individual role training. I am not that advanced yet I am afraid.

In the end, I think it is very intuitive. If you look at what the tiki-taka style does you will see what you need to train. You can always select the pre-set and then take a look what it chose and if it makes sense to you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ryandormer said:

Could I ask what the 'match review' that you recommended does?

Away from my computer right now but I believe if you look at it it increases team cohesion (which can be seen on the Dynamics tab) and tactical familiarity. So it’s especially useful early on when you have a bunch of new players and/or tactics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2020 at 13:00, ryandormer said:

I have never looked too deeply into the training schedules side of the game. At some point, I may look to create my own schedules, but that isn't the purpose of this thread.

I have two questions:

1. What would be an efficient way to set up the pre-set training schedules? and

2. How do you effectively use the 'match preparation' sessions?

At the moment, my team plays with a slightly modified tiki taka, and so I almost every week I select 'tactical style - tiki taka' as the weekly training schedule. Something tells me that this is not a great way to do it!

Also, before every match, the pre-sets use 'match preview,' but I never seem to see any of these (except for 'match tactics' and 'match practice,' which are part of the tiki taka schedule):

image.png.cf59a12c09933abc66c78593f36456db.png

I feel like I am missing out by not taking advantage of these, but I don't know what to do with them. Should I swap 'match preview' for one of these? Should I keep 'match preview,' and add these elsewhere?

Any advice on training schedule set up would be great.

You can watch any of @Rashidi (bustthenet) or FoxintheboxFM training videos on youtube 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...