Most challenging team in Vanarama North/South

Who is the most challenging team in Varanarma North/South?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most challenging team in Varanarma North/South?

• Braintree Town
    • Concord Rangers
    • Dorking Wanderers
    • Hungerford Town
    • Slough Town
    • Tornbridge Angels
    • Other; please specify

I am looking for the most challenging team in Vanarama North/South that I want to bring all the way to the top.

I am playing with settings in the Editor and was wondering what you all find the most challenging team.

In the Editor I limited training and youth facilities, youth couching, youth recruitment to a maximum of 3.

The contenders are (unless I am missing some):
Braintree Town

Concord Rangers

Dorking Wanderers

Hungerford Town

Slough Town

Tornbridge Angels

spacer.png

Looks like Hungerford to me. The lowest rep is always gonna be hardest to attract players, although might buy you more time before being sacked. I always start off horrendously and then tend to improve in the 2nd half of the season. I find the biggest challenge is not getting sacked before then...

It might be interesting to look at the team with the most unrealistic expectations as the hardest? At least at the start

Hungerford will be a challenge, might be worth considering a couple of others;

Bradford PA - came bottom of the north last season and would have gone down if not for covid. Their two best players play in the same position and they are certainly one of the weaker teams in the league. Used to be THE club in Bradford too and were in the league 50 years ago. Bigger city club to overthrow and a decent long term challenge.

Chorley - surrounded by MUCH bigger clubs and punched above their weight in the national league and have just come down. Will not challenge, will be lucky to not get sucked into the relegation battle - they're 20th in real life now. 

Dulwich - should be decent. Should have been decent last season too but struggled. I haven't tried them, but expectations are likely to be high. Are currently 16th.

For added challenge, consider choosing the option to not allow transfers in the first window and do not allow players to fill squads (forget what the option is called). You'll then find some of the team's only have 16-17 players until the second window, which will be "a laugh"

👍

Let us know who you choose!

In FM20 I picked Dorking and also played Hungersford. Though it was never too particularly challenging as I promoted sequentially.

For the beta of FM21, I selected Braintree Town. I accidentally started a create-a-club and noticed this version had some additional information. Braintree Town is the only team who has a Squad Budget less than $200,000. They also have the lowest Squad Size. Next to that, my quota for selecting a team were having not better than poor training and youth facilities, lowest youth coaching and recruitment and basic corporate facilities.
Braintree does have a very good player in Alfie Payne.

spacer.png

In the Beta I ended up 6th and promoting in the end in the first season.

Thank you for the ideas of for example starting a newly promoted team. That might be interesting!