Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

4 hours ago, roykela said:

Getting more and more frustrated on how "broken" things are.

I'm in the lowest playable tier in Slovenia. Having narrowly avoided relegation.
My Assistant's contract has just run out and i released him as he wasn't interested at all in renewing.
Ability-wise he was too good for the club so i understand it.

In FM20 i wrote that it was way too easy to get quality staff for any club.
In FM21 it's nigh on impossible to get staff for a low-rep club.
Trying to find a new Assistant is giving me a headache.
I've tried ticking the realistic appointments for first team and they're nowhere near realistic.
I tried every filter i can think of that has relevance and the results are the same.

I can offer £850p/m at maximum. The realistic filter gives me people that won't accept anything less than £2.5k p/m, £4k p/m etc.
So i choose to look for coaches instead. Lower demands and give them a position as an Assistant instead. But they are the same people.
So that's no good.
I go down to look for U19 coaches instead. Different people but their demands are the same as soon as i offer the position of Assistant Manager.

That means if that tickbox for including realistic appointments actually would work properly there wouldn't be a single person there.
I've filtered for first-team, reserves and youth team. Does not matter one bit.

Ok, i'll go another way then. I'll put out an advert for Assistant Manager in Job Centre.
Nope. Can't do it. Button is greyed out. Thought it might be the skin i'm using so i did my usual clearing of cache and so on.
Nothing. It's unclickable.

Just tried to get a new Chief Scout and that was fine. I had to go to half star reputation but that's fine.
There were 65 people i could realistically offer a contract they would consider.
In total, with the filters, there were 241 people. Why are the other 176 people there considered realistic when they're miles away from being realistic?

There is so much with the functions of this UI which just aren't working i'm actually considering putting this game on the shelf.
It's just pure frustration.
Every single session of playing there is a new discovery of something off or not working properly.
It takes my focus away from being a manager to trying to avoid UI stuff that isn't working.
For a fully released game this isn't good at all. It is way below what should be considered accepted standard minimum.

ME is better than ever, great. But i can't enjoy it as much when i'm bringing a ton of frustration with me to it.
Because it only gets worse there with the user-unfriendly UI/UX during the match. 

I have gradually gone from "This might possibly be the best FM in a long time, if not ever", to "This might be the worst FM i've ever played". Emphasis on FM :D I still remember the horrors of CM4. Won't get any worse than that.
Reason is that i'm not really playing the game; or the role of a manager. I find myself stuck with the focus on not to notice and/or avoid everything that doesn't work instead of enjoying what it's supposed to be about.

Of course, a part of it might be a local issue, like the greyed out Place Advert button. But there's also a big fundemental problem within the game that needs sorting out.
Many fundamental problems, i'm sad to say,

I find that with hiring staff if you look to hire people with the same nationality as where you are playing then they accept lower contracts. As soon as you approach those of a different nationality the wage demands are much higher and almost always inaffordable for lower league clubs. Not sure if you've tried filtering staff members so as to only find those from Slovenia but that could help, even if attribute wise they don't measure up to the alternatives. (this being the case in previous fm's as well to my knowledge, no idea if it's worse this time around though) 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PAFC_Dugout said:

What on earth has happened to the match engine? They did this last year, ruined it even further on each patch. All the nice central play of the beta has completely gone for long balls. I expect this will continue with each patch. Shame. 

Really disliked FM20 and this is more of the same. and now we also have a poorly implemented Brexit, lots of bugs and a very poor Match UI. Understand its been a difficult year and staff working from home etc, but I think ill be going back to FM19 :thdn:

I share your frustration.  It seems changes were made outside of the ME and that's impacted on what we see in the ME.  Clearly, it's a beast to program and I couldn't even begin to do it - but it's so frustrating to think "they've cracked it" in the beta and now it's hoof ball.  A few of us have posted pkm's in the bugs section - so hopefully SI can sort - but confidence is low after FM20, which they never managed to fix...

The trouble is going back to FM19, the game in general seems to move along so slowly compared to the speedy FM21, so a bit frustrating either way, which isn't what I want when playing a game!

2 hours ago, swangin said:

Most unrealistic for me is the humongous amount of shots per game you see on FM. So many shots, and shots on target. Goalkeepers make a ridiculous amount of saves per game. What is perhaps a ONCE PER SEASON miracle game/saves irl, is a standard amount of saves for the goalkeepers on FM, every single game. Go ahead and look at the stats in your game and compare them to real life. Ludicrous.

Actually this year the shoots are really close to the real world.

49 minutes ago, LC15 said:

I find that with hiring staff if you look to hire people with the same nationality as where you are playing then they accept lower contracts. As soon as you approach those of a different nationality the wage demands are much higher and almost always inaffordable for lower league clubs. Not sure if you've tried filtering staff members so as to only find those from Slovenia but that could help, even if attribute wise they don't measure up to the alternatives. (this being the case in previous fm's as well to my knowledge, no idea if it's worse this time around though) 

That's what i've found as well....in the past.
This time it made no difference at all. Slovenian staff were just as demanding.
Just for fun i went all the way to the bottom of the list. One with terrible attributes and lowest rep. He was also Slovenian.
Still wanted 3 times of what i could give him. Regardless of his attributes he should not be considered a realistic alternative.

I did manage to fill the slot. I managed to put and advert out in the end. It was, i guess, just delayed from when i released my then current Assistant.
The staff applied for the position and there were no hassles signing him.
Thing is, i couldn't find him on the list of realistic staff at all. I understand i won't be able to see all staff but this guy is Slovenian as well but he wasn't there.
I don't understand that mechanic. I can see Croatians, Serbians etc. but not a realistic Slovenian. None of them were contracted to other clubs.

I can't find any logic in anything with those mechanics.

Anyone else in England finding that no matter what level of the game you are at, Champ/conference etc are getting quite a lot of foreign players in their youth intake?

I have all English staff at Fylde and first season had 3 Norwegians and second season 2 Slovenians, 1 Jamaican and 2 Hungarians 

3 hours ago, kiwityke said:

1) its boring my 1 billion pound attack can't even get a shot against Rochdale.

in September 2022 (with Messi, Fati, Coutinho and Pedri as a front 4) Barcelona are completely useless

I mean, it is Barcelona so it's kind of expected, but #Walled

Capture.PNG

Edited by samdiatmh

Anyone notice if Throw-In's are bugged?

It's like my instructions are being ignored. I have a full back, Widmar, with 16 long throws, so I have my throws set to LONG, but every time he drops it SHORT to my centre-back Jamal Lascelles who should be set to ATTACK NEAR POST.

My plan:

plan.thumb.jpg.7ffd5d31ffb964646f92911bbfa58d1b.jpg

What actually happens:

execution.thumb.jpg.fa368ab249a8a40aae0315cac40a93df.jpg

Widmar throws it short every time, to Lascelles, who gives it him back, then Widmar crosses it in. The opposite to what I've asked.

Edited by stevemc

11 minutes ago, CM said:

Is there any reason why FMT is much demanding on processor than normal edition? In normal edition I never have any fan noise but FMT heats my Mac quite interestingly. 

My Mac is doing the same, I noticed when I click between certain screens, or certain pop ups in the menu, the 3D match engine appears in the background for a split-second (like it's always loaded there behind the screens) - weird...

10 minutes ago, stevemc said:

My Mac is doing the same, I noticed when I click between certain screens, or certain pop ups in the menu, the 3D match engine appears in the background for a split-second (like it's always loaded there behind the screens) - weird...

My problem is during 3D game rather than between screens. Toned down graphics settings but no avail, still can hear fan noise. 

Edited by CM

I'm playing the Demo and from memory I thought it automatically stopped around Jan 1st.  I'm now on Jan 15th and nothing - I haven't really been thinking about transfers etc as I wasn't going to carry the save on but it's difficult as my players are getting snapped up...

2 hours ago, ExeChris said:

I'm playing the Demo and from memory I thought it automatically stopped around Jan 1st.  I'm now on Jan 15th and nothing - I haven't really been thinking about transfers etc as I wasn't going to carry the save on but it's difficult as my players are getting snapped up...

Update; game finished about a week later just after the FA Cup 4th round.

1 hour ago, s1111 said:

How does this make sense? Was any serious thought given to gestures at all or they just a gimmick and a pointless replacement for tone?

press conference.png

I've thrown it to my asst manager to handle. Forget the nonsensical question and answers, that entire press conf layout is ridiculous and a pain to the eyes. Can't be bothered about it anymore. 

On 11/12/2020 at 11:24, joshpmilton said:

Right now, The Dugout doesn't work in its existing guise depending on how you play the game. I currently play with Comprehensive Highlights, with the text only between highlights set to fastest. What this means is that for a lot of the game The Dugout isn't on screen at all as a highlight of some description is being played out, and subsequently I am unable to see the stats or feedback that my assistant manager is trying to give me. As I have combined comprehensive highlights with fastest text, this also means that the window between highlights is incredibly short, so any feedback I do get is rarely on screen long enough to actually read, or to action if possible. Sometimes a pop up might appear during a highlight, but there is also lag between it appearing in the dugout and it popping up separately.

Given the Match Stats/Notable Events can be made to stay up on screen permanently, but contains a whole load of dead space it seems odd that these two functions haven't been combined or thought through better. Notable Events feels like something that should be available on the tablets, or actually contain more summary information like the Referee/Weather/Attendance we used to have. If it was in the tablet, like the Visualiser, then you could choose to see it if you liked, but for me it is unnecessary. Ideally, I believe that Match Stats should be possible to customise, just like we can on the tablet, but would be far more useful if we could then keep it up throughout. I refer to those stats alongside my highlights constantly, to give me a sense of how the game is unfolding. Unfortunately, due to the way I play the game, the information on the tablet is rarely on screen, or I have to seriously squint to see it in its transparent form if the highlight is attacking the goal on the right. Having customisable stats, and the maybe advice from the last five minutes on that matchday bar on the left would be much more useful, and most importantly, actually available throughout the game.

TL;DR: I don't hate the concept of The Dugout, or even the Tablet but the way I view the match means none of it is ever on screen long enough for it to ever actually inform me.

I've made a thread about both these issues in the Bugs -> User Interface forum. Please discuss your issues with it there so that we can raise awareness with SI.

Guys.. Do any of you know how to disable social feed. Whenever I watch a player, shortlist it, scout it or buy it.. it will enable social feed again. It's sooo annoying. I don't want social media in my game. I hate social media, lol. Have already switched off the screen flow-thingy or so, but I people keep joining my social feed and I keep seeing it from time to time. Arghghhhhhh. Ohh and I already have disabled it in the active shortlist-thingy as well. 

Personally it's the most useless thing in whole FM. 

Edited by RinusFM

13 minutes ago, RinusFM said:

Guys.. Do any of you know how to disable social feed. Whenever I watch a player, shortlist it, scout it or buy it.. it will enable social feed again. It's sooo annoying. I don't want social media in my game. I hate social media, lol. Have already switched off the screen flow-thingy or so, but I people keep joining my social feed and I keep seeing it from time to time. Arghghhhhhh. Ohh and I already have disabled it in the active shortlist-thingy as well. 

Personally it's the most useless thing in whole FM.

In this day and age where all relevant research shows social media is bad for our mental health and society as a whole, that they waste resources on having it in the game in the name of realism is as mind-boggling as the new change-for-the-sake-of-it UI.

Playing as Chelsea, finally sinking into a game.  Just reached Feb and thoroughly enjoying the game, but a few observations / quirks below:

• I understand playing as Chelsea makes the game easier (been doing since the 90s), but to date P31, W27, D3, L1.  My tactics aren't that good, but am enjoying the successful escapism from day to day!
  • Board expectations - given the above, I just drew away to Everton.  Board are very unhappy with that (a little perspective please!)
  • Team stats Goals Allowed - 11 Worst.  This is in fact the best in the league, and looks like the high/low reading is reversed here
  • During a match - 4 of the opposition in some white type kit suddenly started wearing full black kit only.  Was bizarre attempt to throw my Chelsea off
  • Signed a wonderkid, Reyna, for £16M, value much higher.  Board feel that was bad business.  For comparison, my other target, Kulusevski is priced at £160M+ no matter how hard I try.  Personally thought Reyna was quite good business
  • What's up with Spurs; 14th in my game and spent a lot of time in the bottom 3.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, but removing my bias this feels a little off
  • VAR reviews - a few times the review box in the center of the match UI has remained and I missed the penalty
  • Match UI - sorry just not a fan, including the build up program type view all the way thru dugout
Edited by Phil930

49 minutes ago, Phil930 said:
  • What's up with Spurs; 14th in my game and spent a lot of time in the bottom 3.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, but removing my bias this feels a little off

Definitely a common problem. They finished 13th in my current save, 16th in the one before that. And I've seen a few others mention this. 

Have to say I was defensive of UI, but it grew on me.

I can't stand press conferences with this tiny font and content, split into two opposite part of the screen. I hope I'll get used to it and just start clicking by memory, cause content remained as stale as it was.

Many people wanted press conferences to change, but in a way of content, not getting ugly layout, that goes against any UI logic

Returned to Fm 21 After many years off it. Its a pretty nice game and it runs smooth. 

But...

gamegraphics nothing special and players still move weird etc, feels like They havnt improved much. So 2d it is.

media and PC still annoying. 

Constant moaning by players is still trash and Maybe even worse than ever. Moan moan and moan. A club just have to look at a player of mine and i have to give him a new contract over and over again.

AI still makes the weirdest transfers, thought they would improve This But This is really annoying for me.

And the transfersums now is ridicilous. 60-100 m euros at minimum even for a non ”omegagood” player and even for the 16-17 year old talents at clubs like Dunfermline😂

to many cornergoals and penaltys. 

But i still play it:)

Edited by MasterFolke

On the one hand FM want realism and so deny us the option to get stats when we want them. Managers would ordinarily be able to see who was out of position, who was getting on the ball, because they'd be watching the game. For those of us playing what is supposed to be an enjoyable game, potentially with limited time and therefore not able to live the actual 90minues a real manager would watching a match, we need a shorthand version of getting the information that a manager has. On the other hand to the realism FM seem to be forcing upon us on a match day they give us the same basic press conference questions that we've had for years. Is that realistic that we get asked the same questions time and time again? And big deal I get to put my hands on my hips or point a finger. Who came up with that? 

And the Social Media page, what the hell is that about? Who cares that 33% of fans think X player should play more. Literally makes no difference to what you do. Social media plays a role in real life but not on here. If it's realism, where are my players being trolled? Where's my players being out drinking til 3am the night before a game? You can't do it, so it can't be realistic. So why are you messing with certain bits? There's a fine line between realism and going too far that it annoys the user.

And when was the last time you ever heard Sean Dyche come out and slag off Guardiola for not being good enough yet those comments are appearing all the time as the realism of 'mind games'. We can be 20 seasons in and still getting the same questions that seem to have no real effect on the team other than demotivating people.

We want a degree of realism, but the game should primarily be about enjoyment. Reduce the time spent talking to press - i.e. before a game, in the tunnel, after the game, any time a manager speaks about us, and any other time anything you do the most basic thing - bid for a player, send a scout to watch someone etc.

It's as if you decided that it's a new version so what should we change? Not everything needs changing. Next year it'll be the same, you'll amend something else that doesn't need changing. We don't all have the time to spend evaluating every aspect of training, watching the entire match, and constantly speaking to the press. Let play more than a couple of games in a day by reducing the time spent on inane stuff!

I've played FM since the very early Championship Manager days and I can honestly say I enjoyed them more. I've had every version since 1993. I bought last year's and couldn't get into it and went back to FM19. I had huge success on there despite never rarely looking at most of the data (who passed to who, where headers were won etc) so I'm not even convinced it's needed to such a degree as FM provides. However, I could at least look to see if my playmaker was getting on the ball, or where my full back was positioned in the match. I also never criticised a player in about 25 seasons, never praised a player, never set anyone to retrain in a position, never did press conferences etc, which tells me that most of what you can do is unnecessary and a waste of time, yet now it's being force upon us by making us watch the whole 90mins to get an inkling of what's going on. 

I'm actually thinking of going looking for data updates of old versions so I can play them with an updated database as that's all I want. FM21 is really trying my patience in so many ways.

Edited by Scorer15

Do you play on the Windows 10 operating system?

Actually this version is much faster in the passage of days and in the flow of screens, but the lags in the match engine have been frequent, I have read this on many computers that, like mine, are very good for FM.

9 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Throw ins are a right mess right now 

They have been since forever.

Players on FM seem to think you have to ignore the unmarked players on your team and throw them to the guy surrounded by 3 of their players or even better just throw the ball directly to their player whilst simultaneously leaving massive gaps at the back.

Its been like this for as long as I can remember. FM21 isn't even as bad as 19 or 20 IMO.

15 hours ago, s1111 said:

How does this make sense? Was any serious thought given to gestures at all or they just a gimmick and a pointless replacement for tone?

press conference.png

As far as I'm concerned they are a 1 to 1 rewording of tones with 1 maybe 2 extra gestures added that are essentially just the same as an old tone anyway.

Having it as the main headline feature is laughable and I'll be honest almost put me off buying this year.

10 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Definitely a common problem. They finished 13th in my current save, 16th in the one before that. And I've seen a few others mention this. 

Maybe "the Mourinho effect"? - he is a quite defensive manager in the game as in IRL. I mean who expected Spurs to sit top league right now, also considering how he started out last year?

12 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Throw ins are a right mess right now 

They have been since forever.

Players on FM seem to think you have to ignore the unmarked players on your team and throw them to the guy surrounded by 3 of their players or even better just throw the ball directly to their player whilst simultaneously leaving massive gaps at the back.

Its been like this for as long as I can remember. FM21 isn't even as bad as 19 or 20 IMO.

In other news did they remove data facilities this year? As I cant see them listed under my clubs facilities like they were previously?

(Weren't these a new headline feature in fact last year?)

1 час назад, molsen сказал:

Maybe "the Mourinho effect"? - he is a quite defensive manager in the game as in IRL. I mean who expected Spurs to sit top league right now, also considering how he started out last year?

I did. Mour started good , they lose many points by terrible finishing, but chances were created

But Arsenal as usually ready for TOP4 in FM, despite I watch current Arteta's season more like comedy show and stand-up show in conferences 

I really hate scouting and how it is done. My scouts never ever find any players and when I downgrade my search(let's say 2.5star CA and 3 star PA) they find three players who are nowhwere near the standard of my team. When I put 4 star PA with 2.5 star CA they find ZERO players. It is very stupidly done and Idk why there must be a PA parameter and why can't I search 3star CA and PA to stay open so they find whoever they find with 3 star CA and don+t care about PA of a player. This way it is impossible for me to find anybody. I must go to player search and do the search by myself. I play with Lazio, I have great scouts, searching the best possible tier(World) and my DM is a 35 year old player but when I search for DM players with 3 star CA, they find ZERO DM's in the world. And when I search for 2.5 star DM's they found THREE players in the world and all of them are total ****.

Sort out the scouting!!!

On 12/12/2020 at 22:36, samdiatmh said:

in September 2022 (with Messi, Fati, Coutinho and Pedri as a front 4) Barcelona are completely useless

I mean, it is Barcelona so it's kind of expected, but #Walled

Capture.PNG

Are we talking about the same team which is on the 8th spot right now ?

image.png.befac7cecbe886e7e518d85570bed5d3.png

14 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Yes it’s a definite issue. I’ve noticed this in my save. Tottenham went 9 games without a single point at the start of the season in my save. Defensive mentality is bugged and teams are not attacking when they are losing. It’s like AI teams play to lose, which is effecting the game difficulty. 

Edited by Weller1980

19 hours ago, upthetoon said:

I've thrown it to my asst manager to handle. Forget the nonsensical question and answers, that entire press conf layout is ridiculous and a pain to the eyes. Can't be bothered about it anymore. 

Not to mention another hideous 3D screen that ramps up GPU and Temps without no increase to immersion, flow, or readability.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Not in front of the game now, but I'm sure you can set 3* CA and 3* PA? That's the same thing.

i did and they found zero players, and then I found a player in Getafe with 3*CA and 3 star PA playing DM position and cost me 8mil.  So why did my scouts miss that guy? And I bet you I can find at least 20 players with this parameters manually but my scouts can't find ****. Why?

38 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Yes it’s a definite issue. I’ve noticed this in my save. Tottenham went 9 games without a single point at the start of the season in my save. Defensive mentality is bugged and teams are not attacking when they are losing. It’s like AI teams play to lose, which is effecting the game difficulty. 

13th in the first season. Currently doing OK - 6th at Xmas in second season with Michael Laudrup managing. But defensive minded 'AI' managers definitely need a different plan to sit behind the ball until the 80th minute then go all-out attack. However they've got Mourinho set-up doesn't work very well in this version - haven't seen him survive past Xmas of the 2020/21 season in any save so far. Also in my current FM full-fat save Mourinho has now been unemployed for a year, which looks like the high-reputation bug hitting again (demands too great for any offers).

47 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Hopefully they tweaked/fixed this in the coming update. I remember some guy from QA stating that it's not necessarily a ME problem but something else.

Edited by andu1

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

Are we talking about the same team which is on the 8th spot right now ?

image.png.befac7cecbe886e7e518d85570bed5d3.png

I think his point is more about the fact that they managed to get only 1 shot in a whole match? IRL they're 8th in La Liga but when it comes to shots per game they're actually first.

Edited by orlyzao

1 hour ago, orlyzao said:

I think his point is more about the fact that they managed to get only 1 shot in a whole match? IRL they're 8th in La Liga but when it comes to shots per game they're actually first.

not necessarily , with Getafe for example they only managed one shot on target the whole game.

image.png.7cf2d4f8d60ba5520b1690570172ef96.png

53 minutes ago, andu1 said:

not necessarily , with Getafe for example they only managed one shot on target the whole game

He's right though. Barcelona have the highest amount of shots per game in the league (on target as well). To bring this to FM 2021's new feature, xG, they also may be sitting eight place, but according to Expected Points, should sit 5th. They are scoring less than expected as well as conceding more than expected based on the quality of chances (xG). In other words, at least according to this model, whilst still hugely disappointing, they are also a bit unlucky. Usually, this doesn't last very long.

La liga xG Table and Scorers for the 2020/2021 season | Understat.com

I think the point made initially was how/why Barcelona would ever play as defensively that they don't even try to score -- which with just a single shot recorded, looks like may be the case here. Unless this was done with a Gegenpress or whatever OP exploit tactics which just pushes the AI teams back over and over again (and for which the AI has no reply), this is an issue with AI manager tactical picks. 

Edited by Svenc