[FM 21] Olympique de Marseille: Champions League is back in the Velodrome !

Welcome to the thread of the most exciting sleeping giant in France  !!

3a88c6b48aed5873db95525206b2a706.png

flotov.png.2e56f161def7e035831ccbb9d468c3db.png

World cup winner Florian Thauvin after his winning goal against PSG this season

History and glory days...

Olympique de Marseille was founded by René Dufaure de Montmirail, a French sports official, in 1892 as an omnisport club. Known as Sporting Club, US Phocéenne and Football Club de Marseille in the first five years after their foundation, the club adopted the name Olympique de Marseille in 1899 in honour of the anniversary of Marseille's founding by Greeks from Phocaea some 25 centuries earlier, with the name Olympique, coming from ancient Olympic Games.

The first period of Olympique de Marseille's domination of the French League started in the early 1970s under Marcel Leclerc's presidency (1965–1972). His ambition allowed Marseille to return to the First division in 1965–66. They went on to win the Coupe de France in 1969 as well as the First division in 1971 with a record of 44 goals by Josip Skoblar, helped by Roger Magnusson. The arrival of Georges Carnus and Bernard Bosquier from Saint-Étienne helped them to win the Ligue 1 and the Coupe de France in 1972. Marseille played in the European Cup in 1971–72 and 1972–73, but were knocked-out by Ajax of Johan Cruyff and Juventus, respectively. However, success was not to last. Marcel Leclerc was forced to leave the club on 19 July 1972. The President was a stubborn man, and he threatened the whole league by threatening to withdraw his professional team from Ligue 1 because the federation refused to accept three foreign players in one team (Leclerc wanted to acquire the Hungarian star Zoltán Varga but he had already the maximum number of two foreigners in his team). But Marseille decided, instead of following Leclerc against the league, to fire him.[4] Then followed an era of crisis, with Marseille only winning a Coupe de France in 1976 and being relegated to the second division, where they played with a bunch of young local players: the Minots who allowed the team to return to First division in 1984. Éric Di Meco was one of them.

On 12 April 1986, Bernard Tapie became president, thanks to Marseille mayor Gaston Defferre, and promptly built the greatest team ever seen in France. His first signings were Karl-Heinz Forster and Alain Giresse, who were bought after the 1986 FIFA World Cup. Tapie signed a large number of highly regarded players over the next few years in his pursuit of the European Cup, such as Jean-Pierre Papin, Chris Waddle, Klaus Allofs, Enzo Francescoli, Abedi Pelé, Didier Deschamps, Basile Boli, Marcel Desailly, Rudi Völler and Eric Cantona as well as appointing high-profile coaches like Franz Beckenbauer, Gérard Gili and Raymond Goethals. Between 1989 and 1992, Olympique de Marseille won four league titles in a row and the French Cup. The highlight of the club's history is winning the new format Champions League in 1993. Basile Boli scored the only goal against Italy's Milan in the final held in Munich's Olympic Stadium. That triumph was the first time ever for a French club and it made Didier Deschamps and Fabien Barthez the youngest captain and goalkeeper, respectively, to capture the title.

This triumph, however, was followed by a decade of decline. In 1994, due to financial irregularities and a match fixing scandal involving then president Bernard Tapie, they suffered enforced relegation to the second division, where Marseille stayed two years before returning to the First division. Moreover, they lost their 1992–93 Division 1 title and the right to play in the UEFA Champions League 1993-94, the 1993 European Super Cup and the 1993 Intercontinental Cup.

Marseille returned to the top flight in 1996 with backing from Adidas's owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus. He chose Rolland Courbis as coach, signed Fabrizio Ravanelli, Laurent Blanc, and Andreas Köpke, and Marseille finished 11th for his return. For the 1998–99 season, the team celebrated their centenary and built a team of stars: Robert Pirès, Florian Maurice, and Christophe Dugarry, culminating in a second-place finish in the French championship, behind Bordeaux and an appearance in the UEFA Cup Final in 1999, losing to Parma. Courbis left the team in November 1999 after a poor start to the season.

The closest Marseille got to another trophy was when they reached the UEFA Cup Final in 2004, impressively beating Dnipro, Internazionale, Liverpool, and Newcastle United along the way. But they were beaten in the final by newly crowned Spanish champions Valencia and once again fans were forced to continue waiting for the next trophy to come along. In 2005, Marseille succeeded in winning the Intertoto Cup, beating the likes of Lazio and Deportivo de La Coruña in doing so, and earning another shot at the UEFA Cup.

The club struggled in the 2011–12 season, going to the bottom of the Ligue 1 table after six matches. Nevertheless, Marseille rebounded, winning 3–0 against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, as well as a 3–0 success over rivals PSG in November of that year. Marseille ended 2011 with a good sequence, also qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League for the second season running.

In February 2012, Marseille embarked on 13 games without victory, but rallied to qualify for the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time since winning the competition in 1993. Despite an indifferent club form, OM lost to eventual finalists Bayern Munich, and slumped to an overall tenth-place finish in Ligue 1. However, the club retained the Coupe de la Ligue for the third year running, beating Lyon 1–0 in the Final.

In the summer of 2012, Deschamps resigned, and later taking on the France job. Elie Baup took over, leading the club to a surprising second-place finish in the 2012–13 season despite selling multiple key players, including Loïc Rémy, César Azpilicueta and Stéphane Mbia. Marseille returned to the Champions League, spending close to €40 million on the likes of Dimitri Payet, Florian Thauvin and Giannelli Imbula. The club were top of the table at the end of August 2013, but OM proceeded to lose all six games in Europe, suffering the ignominy of becoming the first French team, and the biggest European team to date, to have picked up zero points in a Champions League group stage.

Baup was sacked on 7 December 2013, following the 1–0 defeat to Nantes at Stade Velodrome. He was replaced on an interim basis by Jose Anigo. In Anigo's brief tenure, OM went out of the two cups, and struggled, leading to continued protests and jeers by fans. The club finished sixth in the 2014 season, missing out on an important European competition place for the first time in ten years. Anigo left the club soon after, taking on an ambassadorial/scouting role in North Africa, his first post outside of the city for more than four decades.

Modern days...

Changes had been made for the upcoming season

Zubizareta has left the club and new Director of Football, Pablo Longoria, is now in charge

The priority for him/you will be to refresh an ageing team

Money is still a concern for Marseille, your owner is not a sugar daddy, so you will need to spend your money wisely as you won't get tons to deal with

Stadium

If you take in charge Marseille you will discover the wonderful Stade Velodrome, fully renovated in 2014, you now have a breath taking place of 67.000 fans which are going to help you to win !

It's obviously the biggest stadium available for a French Ligue 1 team so far, but you will have to be good enough to fill all the empty seats that the stadium used to have in the last years...and Marseille fans are really tough to convince so be smart !

Your facilities are also excellent, and will need few improvements

3c5a1cb44492e75387c04675af9d85a4.png

New attendance record this year against Lyon with 65369 fans

OM WITH AVB

Andre Villas-Boas has been a true messiah for Marseille

He brought the club back to Champions League football after 6 years without listening to to this movely music to Velodrome

Some players have been completely back on track thanks to his manager skills

You will inherit this miracle, and it's up to you now to achieve a good run  in Ligue 1

Will you do better than a #2 spot this year ?

avb2.png.d396b2f4b7c773528ad27fd59f91fecb.png

AVB's legacy is now in your hands

Marseille celebrating his 120th birthday against Lyon 10 November 2019

2605351bd4824a02d82dbdd68eef15e9.gif

Board expectations and club vision

369102777_clubculture.png.7434f59287da595c108f5d6bff80169f.png

1239454761_objom.png.320b69deda1e2f0840897826ec7dfe36.png

The board wants you to achieve a top 3 finish this year which is going to be a real struggle, as you have teams like Monaco and Lyon which are completely focus on the league as they dont have any European competitions this season

If you decide to start with the transfer window open

You will get a little bit more than 7M€ available (Beta numbers atm)

You're now used to it, Marseille has a really thin squad, so you will have to show how good you are in order to build a younger core for the upcoming seasons

This will fit the club current vision indeed, so please the board !

Rivals

As you are a playing a successful club, you'll obviously have plenty of rivals, in the south of France you'll have derbies against AS Monaco and OGCN, but the main thing is Paris Saint Germain !! That's the game you MUST not lose ! You can also add Olympique Lyonnais, rivalry on and off the pitch had been brutal as hell last year, it's may be even more important to beat Lyon than PSG now !

Would you beat PSG this year ? As the lads did it IRL this September after  10 years without a single win in Parc des Princes ? :)

Can you do worst than the 12 defeats streak in Champions League ? (we'll have the answer IRL this wednesday btw ;) )

Kits

506593012_omkits.png.db761ecc88c8d6eb82bd8f11bc8da5f5.png

Why Marseille ?

If you like to manage a really thin squad and develop your youngsters, it's for you !

Because if you want to be a negiocator expert, you will have loads to do with the players running out of contract !

Because overpaying players around their 30's is not an option anymore !!

You need, and will have to build on young players to try to succeed !!

Because you have an exciting core of youngsters to develop  !!

ALLEZ L'OM

Squad analysis

Last season, Villas Boas has achieved miracles with a really "weak" side to be honest

You will see, some problems are still there, but this year the additions you have in the team are really interesting

Don't worry, you will need to poach players, as the team is not balanced ;)

Goalkeepers

140721708_steve2.png.c9b4dfd90eee9251cdc7f8f0727ffcdf.png

MANDANDA

Key player last year with Marseille

Earn you tons of points in order to be in Champions League this year

Your starter for this year, no problem at all

Club captain, but already 35 y/o

PELE

Steve's back up, will be devent for cups or injury crisis for the first season, 37 y/o and running out of contract

Recommandations: You will need to move on the market here, Simon Ngapandouetnbu might become interesting but is not ready for 1st team football

Defenders

Centre Backs

balerdi.png.85cd96f7fbcddc7a2f6213274d9be883.png

BALERDI

On loan from Dortmund, this young Argentinian will provide depth in this area

Has room to improve a lot as he's only 21 y/o

You can buy it for 14M€,

ALVARO

The deal has now been made permanent from Villareal

Really useful last season, Alvaro is a reliable lad if you want a defender able to be strong on his opponent, already 30 y/o

DUJE CALETA CAR

Requested by top clubs this summer, the croation international decides to remain in Marseille to play Champions League football here,

Really capable with the ball

You can start to build from behind with him, really reliable, your #1 defender

Fullbacks

1884055906_naga2.png.72f4045d3f4a15d2bc3a5d80757bfff0.png

Right side

SAKAI

If you're used to follow this thread, you know that Marseille has problems with full backs for years now

This year, no exception, the japanese international is your only natural right back :)

Always reliable, barely injured, Hiroki will be, obviously, your starter for the upcoming season

Bear in mind that he's already 30 y/o and is a non EU player (4 EU players maximum in Ligue 1)

Left side

AMAVI

Back from hell thanks to AVB, Jordan is now a useful football player

Your starter for the spot, careful he's running out of contract in 2021

NAGATOMO

Another samourai has joined the club this summer

A well known player, the japanese joined Marseille on a free to provide a bit of experience and depth in this area, can also play RB

Already 34 y/o and has signed a 1 y/o contract (Non EU player)

Reccomandations: The fullbacks area is a huge issue once again, be prepared to spend money here

Midfielders

cuisance.png.b06b2334284d655390394a15cd0a2110.png

Defensive

KAMARA

Born and raised in Marseille

Bouba is a 20 y/o gem

Your most exciting player from the academy since Samir Nasri

Has been a key element for AVB last season from his DM spot

Build the team around this lad

He's also a good CB

STROOTMAN

Your biggest earner atm

The dutch international is still a good option for your midfield but not your first choice

Already 30 y/o, not very pacy, might be a candidate for a departure

GUEYE

Really interesting youngster from Le Havre who just joined this summer

21 y/o and a lot to offer

Develop him, he will be more than useful

Central

RONGIER

Reliable B2B midfielder, will run for 90 mins on the pitch

Young and French, will be useful this season

SANSON

Another good option for this area

A bit more attacking minded than Rongier

Can offer a lot to your team

CUISANCE

Just joined from Champions League winners Bayern on loan

He's been requested by Villas Boas specifically

He's the best creative option in your midfield and could be become a really important player in the future

You will need to spend a lot in order to make this deal permanent (17M€)

Could play as a #10 if you need to

Attacking midfielders

henrique.png.99d9d4d4890b31c9d3e186a43ab67645.png

Right side

THAUVIN

Florian is back on track after spending one year without playing

Still your best player in this area

But the main issue is that h'es running out of contract in 2021

A must keep

Left side

LUIS HENRIQUE

Joined Marseille this summer from Botafogo and can play almost everywhere upfront

The young brazilian has a lot to improve in order to be a 1st team regular, good player in any case

You need to develop him, Non EU player btw

RADONJIC

His pace could be a real threat for tired defences

Could be useful on the rigt side as well as you don't have any cover for Thauvin

Central

PAYET

Brilliant last season, Dimitri has renewed his contract

Will be your set pieces taker and can be a starter on your left side as well

Only downside, his age, to consider, already 33 y/o

KHAOUI

To offload, as usual

Strikers

dario.png.ee4ce30f1fe242473fbb6cd07120c448.png

BENEDETTO

After one decent season, Dario is still your #1 for the spot

Will be really capable in a lone striker tactic

Already 30 y/o

GERMAIN

Not your first choice, but your only decent option upfront if you have to play with 2 strikers or replace Dario

Already 30 y/o and out of contract in 2021

MITROGLOU

The big greek guy is back from his loan in PSV

32 y/o, big earner but ,thanks god, out of contract in 2021

Won't be useful for you

Reccomandations: Another area where you will need to invest really shortly

Backroom Staff

As usual some changes must be done as you won't have enough quality

Edited by nico_france
players

Always do a Marseille save and this year I thought I'd post about it. I'm around 15 games into the 2nd season atm so I'll post my progress up to then.

You don't get much time between starting the game and the match against 'them lot', do you?

Anyways, I don't think I beat them ONCE in FM20 (I know) so this was a pleasant surprise.

Untitled.png

We played Lyon on Matchday 1 and Matchday 38, the results summed our season up well

Untitlled.png.1d14d214a456a37b0a1f7a70ef95354e.png

Untitleed.png.b9591a8aa506b5928239966de3b467a0.png

Champions League. A sorry state of affairs really

Untitled.png.d12525e042907b43c5fa192c095f2611.png

French Cup. Not good enough. Eliminated in the 11th round by my bogey team Reims. Donis is so annoying to play against!!

Final league table. 2nd somehow. I think we were 8th or 9th after 19 matches. First stage of the season I was constantly changing tactics, trying to find something that worked and I enjoyed. Second stage of the season I found that tactic and we collected the most points out of everyone. Standout performer was Thauvin with 36 goals

5 defeats and 87 points is really bad for PSG though so a missed opportunity to win the league.

Unntitled.png.94b36f5759a33a3561e4714113fe9066.png

Matches vs PSG. Firstly, disappointing

Unttitled.png.5e036b26f9e32132f3fc92d26724ebd2.png

But we get our revenge

Untitledd.png.dcd99103da68b33d8ae444598a8bfb00.png

Transfers. I regret selling Henrique and not putting work into him but he didn't fit my tactic at the time. 

Untiitled.png.24a7dc6a0eb269399cb52abfbcfbbaa1.png

@2calvin

You've been unlucky with your Champions League group, being in the 4th bracket, it's difficult for Marseille to get an easy group

But at least you got money from the competition and you'll be back next season !

I'm not done with my 1st season yet, but i found suprisingly easy to beat PSG as well (beat them home 1-0)

Can't remember being so successful so early in the game with them, anyway i'll take it :)

So far i'm mainly dropping points against supposedly weaker teams

232436918_psg-oms1.png.806d194e99dac7dc31be3a45b0e1d254.png

Papetti seems to be a really good signing and perfectly stick with the club vision

Are you getting any good freebies for the upcoming season ?

Some really good lads are willing to join (Milik, Otavio...)

Looking forward to see what you can do, will post a litlle bit more when i'm done

Done with the 1st season

As usual, i start with transfers disabled

I've been lucky enough to face a terrible PSG this season, for sure they won't make this kind of total next season

I could have won the League with "ease" if i did not have that injury crisis during spring where i dropped far too many points

In any case Nice had been my executionner this season, beat me twice 3-2, as stated above, did not have a lots of problems facing top teams in the league

My team is really tight, will need a lot of improvements next season, but will complicated imo to retain the title

1384499821_s1om.png.29b6aab2045d538b382d1883b8fd5720.png

Won't bother talking about Coupe de France, knocked out in the 1st round in penalties from a third division team :D

Definitely to improve

Champions League was a total dream tbh

1857281070_CLs1.png.374dffa9ac22c6ec8d89dca3d572d659.png

Beat Juve Home and Dortmund Away in order to reach the next round

And it was more than unexpected to go that far, knocking Bayern was the cherry on the cake even if completely unrealistic imo ;)

Unlucky to face Liverpool with so many injuries, btw an overpowered  ManU won the final against them

1355158655_clknock.png.812309fedad45c02874b357d68bdd07b.png

In both competitions Thauvin and Benedetto (league top scorer) had massive impact

On a side note Kamara is developing really nicely, definitely a future great DM

Transfers wise some interesting business in January

874699094_TransfersS1.thumb.png.c3df208b06decf2dc853113620abff33.png

Tried to stick to the club philosophy recruiting players to develop, finances need these kind of deals as well, especially all the dead wood that i could sell

Vinicius Junior loan for 280k€/month was a huge improvement for the team, he qualified me almost on his own against City in CL, unfortunately got injured too quickly to be even more massive

Arezo had been a consistent back up for Benedetto, looking forward to see how he will develop

Ahmedhozdic had been a solid starter from the moment he joined me, absolute quality CB

Found that Moldovian guy, Reabciuk,  left fulback in Portugal, what a player for that money, can cover all the left flank, definitely recommend him

Some excellent players are joining us on a free next season, i'm focus on the transfers atm and finding a good GK seems to be complicated as Mandanda, even if really consistent, is already to old

Looking forward to see what we're going to do for the new season, need to sell a couple of players, especially Strootman

Congrats on finishing 1st and your CL run brother!! @nico_france

Mandanda is a funny one. Still has all the attributes, good personality, team leader and captain, consistent performer, French nationality.. but 35/36 and a big wage :/

Arezo is developing really nicely on my save at Saint-Etienne, looks a fantastic prospect.

Season 2 transfers. The total cost of the Strootman loan including wages is 5M which I thought was a good deal considering he was worth 5.5M :lol:

Untitled.png.224421f901c84e8fb0cf841addf2f2ab.png

Squad looks like this (4-3-1-2)

GK - Andrada, Burki, Mandanda (I will look to sell Steve after this year)

RB - Sakai, Armini

CB - Papetti, G.Gomez, Caleta-Car, Alvaro (looking to sell)

LB - Amavi, Segovia

RCM - Sanson, Rongier

CM - Kamara, Berg

LCM - Cuisance, S.Gomez

AMC - Payet, Lopez

ST - Thauvin, Macias, Benedetto, Giroud

Did you buy Cuisance? @nico_france I wanted to but with the fee at 16M that would have taken up my entire budget so I just loaned for another season.

Thanks @2calvin !

Completely unexpected win in Ligue 1 tbh, that PSG was so disappointing

Was tempted to move on Macias as well, but i sticked with Arezo as a back up for my 2nd season and i don't regret it at all

Do the excate same moves  than you did for Cuisance :lol:, i did not buy when i had a chance and loan him for another season,  it's a huge regret as he spent a very solid season and now Bayern won't sell him at all :(

Burki was a good target for the GK spot but i could not approach him in my save, he signed another contract with Dortmund

Missed Ugarte as well who look really good, he went to Spain and rejects my offer

How Papetti is doing for you ? Consider buying him if Brescia goes down, his release clause is very attractive

Hope for you that you will get major success for your second season !

Will post a recap of the 2nd season asap

Done with my 2nd season now

Let's begin by the Ligue 1

Well it's been harder this time, a 3 horses race from the start of the season, especially with Lyon

Won't lose against PSG in the league once again

Did not expect to retain my title, Lyon is becoming a real threat, once again PSG is disappointing (Mbappé and Neymar still in club)

836500837_classements2.thumb.png.f2560be10b20b5be9810da11f8eed5e4.png

No Coupe de France trophy  this year once again, as we lost on  penalties against Caen (Ligue 2 side) away from home, really disappointing run

Definitely want to improve

Regarding the Champions League "first i was afraid, i was petrified" when i discover my draw but i can't understand how it could be so easy to trash top teams

380743153_CLs2.thumb.png.fce26c1c04697b7c129326b155bf7de1.png

Only one goal conceeded facing this kind of teams in S2 is kind of weird tbh, and moreover trashing Inter 5-0 was really surprising

Anyway, being 1st of the group should have granted me a "weak" team to face, so obviously i inherited Barça...that i unexpectedly completely trashed :lol:

97610451_clko1.thumb.png.e615ea0de0c79ccbef3d49267473250d.png

My road will stop in 1/4 final this year against City

1689185772_clko2.thumb.png.3b1447a10dc5ccab430e5ac3e99cfed1.png

On a side note, Liverpool won the CL againstt City, English top teams are really dominant in Europe so far

Transfers wise we made some good business this year and tbh, some signings are completely surprising

1822208223_transfersS2om.thumb.png.091e536c7968984543c586d67b6c136d.png

Departures first,really happy to make some really unexpected business on ageing players

Benedetto out for this kind of money is completely insane, glad i could ship Strootman and his big wage away, di not plan to sell Sanson, but was running out of contract, so i thought it was not bad, with all the competiton i have for my IF spot on the left, i did not have space for Radonjic, very pleased to get this money for him

Regarding the lads that joined us

First i will discuss the amazing freebies that you can poach

Completely insane to get this kind of players so early

I'll start with Eric Garcia, may be one of the most promising player for the spot, believe it or not, he would not discuss terms with me in January, but in June only 2 clubs approached him, Marseille and Lyon, completely incredible,  he was chased by all the top teams around, really happy to get this player, but that sounds completely unrealistic, anyway

Otavio is also a great option for Marseille on a free transfer, should have been my starter on the left flank, if i would not get the opportunity to bring Vinicius back to Marseille for his second loan here

Gomez  was an opportunity, the young promising midfielder will be sent on loan

Montiel will be my starter as RB this year, the argentinian international is a really good option

Milik is a real deal, clinical finisher, one of the top striker in Ligue 1, will finish he season as top scorer

Strakosha's deal was agreed during the second part of the season, can't still understand how Lazio could ask so little money for him, my starter for the GK spot

Kaminski is a really exciting prospect that can play as an IF, will be sent on loan to be developped, but seems immense

Almian had been brought to cover the RB position, homegrown player

Rugani was a good opportunity to provide depth for my central defense, asking for little wages as well

Then i did not even know this was possible, but thanks to FM, i now know that an incredible english inside forward has been transfered to Portugal from Tottenham IRL, this guy Marcus Edwards is an incredible player, my replacement for Thauvin when i'll sell it

Rabiot joined me on a loan with a 35M€ buy out clause, will be my starter in my midfield

Belmonte is a cover for Kamara, really reliable player when i needed him, i recommend as back up

Cuisance had been loaned for one more year, he has a really good season, unfortunately i can't buy him now, so i really recommend to buy him during the first season when he has his buy out clause

The others boys were mainly bets for the future for little money, no newgens

As a result, this the first team for this second season

Same tactic than in S1

1078309911_tacticS2.png.8397562e8ce52b722bf5e41ddb863797.png

Could not imagine to already get this kind of team in only 2 seasons, i already have 2 competitive starting XI

Will focus next year to get rid of loanees and bring some nice additions to the teams, especially in my midfield

PSG is going crazy on the market, Lukaku, Sancho, just to name a few, are on their way to Paris...so i guess next year will be even more complicated

3rd season is over now

Already achieved more than i could hope

Ligue 1 is not an issue at all, even if PSG is getting mad on the market

Thought Lyon would have been a diffcult opponent, but it's not the case at all, just a solid PSG to be "afraid" of

So it's already 3 Ligue 1 in a row...

885025018_l1s3.thumb.png.9334283b85c42c62ec15a0d6a43f6d4e.png

This year is a good one for the Coupe de France

We made it to the Final and beat a surprising Brest 1-0

Champions League wise, group stage was smooth, as usual

1295212628_cls3.png.00f833ca73a2c7ba103ccd7cc4dbf636.png

Then, it was a, too,  easy path to the final

2090101193_CLwins3.png.bd91279136685779ba575b8c5e043d20.png

Depsite facing the most overrated team in England, we won the trophy this year, far too easy imo

Obvioulsy i've been active on the market for this season with some great business and a special gift made by my lovely board that you can't see on this picture

1675721214_s3transfer.thumb.png.fbf2dc570b6af3082cd851499e25941e.png

First, some real money coming from the departures, Milik, even if european golden boot, for that money after just one season was too good to refuse, same for Otavio, not even my first choice for the spot, Rugani was a good deal as well, i don't know why Arsenal spent that money on Amavi, absolutely not a player for this standard, Rongier was too limited for my new midfield, Villa was good money for him

Transfer listed Ait-nouri for that kind of money was a total steal especially for a young HG french player, my starter this season

Triggered Bennacer release clause during the second part of the season, a real opportunity for that exceptionnal midfielder

Same for Abraham, transfer listed for so little money from Chelsea, completely insane player

Bailly was a good freebie opportunity on low wages to provide depth to my defence after Rugani departure,

Rovella is a very good italian midfielder, can play almost on every position, definitely recommend it

Ended up buying Vinicius from Madrid, good player with me

Nkunku was brought as back up in my midfield, HG quality player

Fekir on loan for my leftflank was an interesting opportunity as well especially as he's HG

All the others players are good opportunities, few of them are newgens

Always the same tactic, exceptionnal midfield 3 this year, and a really good Strakosha between the sticks

Will try to improve my defense next season

1858279298_tactics3.png.b0cd79a043fe997601bd52d1f3e42ebb.png

When i was talking about the gift made by my board, i was chasing for more than one year Camavinga, i unsettled him, and ended up asking my board to handle the transfer, as i did not have at this moment enough money to spend,  they accepted it, and the lad joined us for 62M€ :)

Players are getting unrealistic numbers upfront, even my subs are goals machines

Obviously Tammy broke every possible record this year, he is the Ligue 1, Champions League and European top scorer, funny thing, my board, during the end of season meeting has rated the player's transfer  "B-", don't know what they want to get an A+ rating tbh :lol:

Thauvin 2nd scorer in Ligue 1, far behind

From the beggining of my save with Marseille, each season my main striker is the Ligue 1 top scorer, no Mbappé in sight

tammy.png.8075b9f55f9fb54e0516ad34ba36137c.png

I found the player ratings quite low this year tbh

I already won everything and i really could not imagine managing so early such a dominant team, it's really surprising

1767923238_bilans3.png.b116a06e7b98f3387b5e6b6690446960.png

Will see what i would do for the 4th season, as the results i got are already incredible and unexpected

In any case, you know that you can have major success with Marseille in a really short period

Edited by nico_france

Finally finished season 2. PSG finished with 87 points again. I gained 5+ points on season 1 but it isn't enough to beat a poor PSG. You could say my results vs PSG cost me the league. PSG 3-1 OM and OM 0-0 PSG

Ligue 1

1. PSG 87

2. OM 83

3. LOSC 68

4. OL 67

Trophee des Champions

OM 2-1 PSG

Coupe de France Quarter Final

Nantes 1-0 OM. I hate Nantes

Champions League First Knockout Round

OM 1-1 Real Madrid

Real Madrid 3-2 OM. I hate Real Madrid

I don't think I will ever win the league tbh. I am just not consistent enough. A draw or loss is always around the corner. This is what annoyed me the most about the Nantes result, I am capable of beating PSG in a cup competition. In January I added Declan Rice for 40M and Guga for 11M but it wasn't enough.

Kamara keeps getting injured :( This season he picked up 6 injuries and missed 39% of matches

Only 5 matches into season 3 but I can already tell this season is going to be fun...

Trophees des Champions - 1-1 vs PSG (PSG win 5-4 on penalties)

League - PSG 1-0 OM (They score a penalty and I miss one...)

And I face Real Madrid AGAIN in the CL for a third straight season.

The game hates me

@tyro always great to see you around mate, but come on, you can't hesitate :lol:

@kingjericho Thanks !  here  is what i'm using so far, some players have personal instructions too

@2calvin i really regret  Papetti, he's now in Milan in my save and i can't get him, on a side note, just picked Upamecano :), Kamardin did not develop into a useful player for me, but yours seems promising !

1306239451_tacticom.png.4bb8c0eedf5ac27a79156b8f2437ac97.png

Well, I had started with Lyon but that did not stick.

Started with Marseille now :)

The first thing I did was extent Thauvin to 2024.

I promoted some players to the Senior Squad (for rotation/injury problems):

• Christopher Rocchia (LB)
  • Lucas Perrin (CB)

I will see if I can bring anyone in but with the limited Transfer Budget I might just stick to the current squad.

Luis Henrique got injured for 3-6 weeks.

Hi all,

Started a new save with Marseille too. Always had a soft spot for them for as long as I can remember. Chris Waddle was one of my favourite players growing up and when he went to Marseille my Dad bought me a Marseille shift with his name and number on the back - good times. I am on holiday to South of France August 2021, only half hour from the stadium, so am hoping to persuade the wife to make a little visit!

Anyway, only just started tonight. I finish work for Christmas Friday so will get stuck into it properly then. Won't really be making any signings the first season I don't think. I have offered Thauvin a contract extension and have sorted out the back room staff as much as I can. Could do with a couple more coaches but I have maxed them out and the board won't allow me to bring anymore in.

Kamara looks a fantastic prospect. Will update after the weekend, hopefully will have finished my first season then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 13:15, nico_france said:

Done with the 1st season

As usual, i start with transfers disabled

I've been lucky enough to face a terrible PSG this season, for sure they won't make this kind of total next season

I could have won the League with "ease" if i did not have that injury crisis during spring where i dropped far too many points

In any case Nice had been my executionner this season, beat me twice 3-2, as stated above, did not have a lots of problems facing top teams in the league

My team is really tight, will need a lot of improvements next season, but will complicated imo to retain the title

1384499821_s1om.png.29b6aab2045d538b382d1883b8fd5720.png

Won't bother talking about Coupe de France, knocked out in the 1st round in penalties from a third division team :D

Definitely to improve

Champions League was a total dream tbh

1857281070_CLs1.png.374dffa9ac22c6ec8d89dca3d572d659.png

Beat Juve Home and Dortmund Away in order to reach the next round

And it was more than unexpected to go that far, knocking Bayern was the cherry on the cake even if completely unrealistic imo ;)

Unlucky to face Liverpool with so many injuries, btw an overpowered  ManU won the final against them

1355158655_clknock.png.812309fedad45c02874b357d68bdd07b.png

In both competitions Thauvin and Benedetto (league top scorer) had massive impact

On a side note Kamara is developing really nicely, definitely a future great DM

Transfers wise some interesting business in January

874699094_TransfersS1.thumb.png.c3df208b06decf2dc853113620abff33.png

Tried to stick to the club philosophy recruiting players to develop, finances need these kind of deals as well, especially all the dead wood that i could sell

Vinicius Junior loan for 280k€/month was a huge improvement for the team, he qualified me almost on his own against City in CL, unfortunately got injured too quickly to be even more massive

Arezo had been a consistent back up for Benedetto, looking forward to see how he will develop

Ahmedhozdic had been a solid starter from the moment he joined me, absolute quality CB

Found that Moldovian guy, Reabciuk,  left fulback in Portugal, what a player for that money, can cover all the left flank, definitely recommend him

Some excellent players are joining us on a free next season, i'm focus on the transfers atm and finding a good GK seems to be complicated as Mandanda, even if really consistent, is already to old

Looking forward to see what we're going to do for the new season, need to sell a couple of players, especially Strootman

A question about starting with transfers disabled...

When you do, it says you have £0 for transfers and the wage budget is N/A...

How does that allow you to buy in January? Will you get a budget in January?

On 15/01/2021 at 05:45, Gungner said:

A question about starting with transfers disabled...

When you do, it says you have £0 for transfers and the wage budget is N/A...

How does that allow you to buy in January? Will you get a budget in January?

Yes you will get one in November or december.

I’ve just taken over OM in 2023 after 3 seasons managing in Argentina. I’ll post squad details later, as per OP squad is ageing and budget for next year is £0. Not helped by the fact that a 30 year old Jesse Lingard has already agreed to join the club in the summer in a deal worth £15 million!! 

The club finished 5th last season so we have at least qualified for the European Conference league. 

I’m just sorting out staff before I complete a proper analysis of the squad and look to see who can be moved on.

On 16/01/2021 at 12:01, n1mez said:

Yes you will get one in November or december.

Can you hire staff without a transferbudget? 
That's a different budget, right?

Edited by Gungner
22 hours ago, Gungner said:

Can you hire staff without a transferbudget? 
That's a different budget, right?

Yes you can. But i dont think you can use "unlimited" on them, but you can.