[Africa] Data Issues

Please post any data issues related to any non-represented country in Africa here.

As much of the data is subjective we’d ask that you respect everyone’s opinion and accept that the final decision is that of our club researchers and our heads of research.          

We also request you please adhere to the following three point plan when posting in the data topics:

·        State what you think is specifically wrong with a particular piece of data.              

·        State what you think the data should be.                            

·        State reasons/proof for your suggested corrections/improvements.                         

Please note that any non-data issues for Africa should be posted in the appropriate thread within the League Specific Issues forum. This would include issues such as league scheduling, league table sorting rules and match rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been addressed and will be fixed for the winter transfer patch. From what I can see, the currency was left blank so it defaulted to GBP.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this comes a bit harsh. How difficult is it to change a nation name in database? I have been asking this change for the last 3 years and it is still wrong, for God's Sake.

Swaziland in Africa has changed its name to Eswatini.

Thanks

7 hours ago, grade said:

I'm sorry if this comes a bit harsh. How difficult is it to change a nation name in database? I have been asking this change for the last 3 years and it is still wrong, for God's Sake.

Swaziland in Africa has changed its name to Eswatini.

Thanks

@Simon Tipple @Blue Lou is there a particular reason this hasn't been done yet? It's the officially recognised name in FIFA too.

https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/swz/

29 minutes ago, Kanwulf said:

@Simon Tipple @Blue Lou is there a particular reason this hasn't been done yet? It's the officially recognised name in FIFA too.

https://www.fifa.com/associations/association/swz/

Last year I posted some links, including FIFA Coca-Cola Ranking site of the name replacement, and it remains as Swaziland.

Perhaps you have better luck with SI, than me.

1 hour ago, Woodg SI said:

Our policy is to use the usual UK-English name or translation for a country.

The same applies to countries like East Timor and Ivory Coast.

Sorry if I'm insisting on this. The countries you said, for example East Timor, the official name for every language is Timor-Leste. I mean, if the highest authority of Football, which is FIFA, uses the official version and not the UK-English version, FM should reflect that.

Ivory Coast is the same, it is not the official name, since the president of the country a few years ago, requested that the name of the country is Côte d'Ivoire, regardless of language. In this case if FIFA uses in their official site and officially in the competitions, FM should too.

In both cases, I think it needs to be changed, if FIFA uses the official name, FM should too. But I agree that can be debatable as they are translations.

In this case of Eswatini, they in fact change their name, I mean the wookiepedia says:

In April 2018, the official name was changed from Kingdom of Swaziland to Kingdom of Eswatini, mirroring the name commonly used in Swazi.

On 19 April 2018, King Mswati III announced that the Kingdom of Swaziland had renamed itself the Kingdom of Eswatini, reflecting the extant Swazi name for the state eSwatini, to mark the 50th anniversary of Swazi independence. The new name, Eswatini, means "land of the Swazis" in the Swazi language and was partially intended to prevent confusion with the similarly named Switzerland.[11][12]

It is quite easy to find that Eswatini is used by several official names and sites (UN included).

I mean if the Queen of England decided to change name of England and it was approved and now is called the United Counties of Awesome, you probably would like to reflect that in FM, no matter how daft the name sounds.

This is the case with Eswatini, it is name change, not a simple UK-English translation, like  in your examples.

Edited by grade
38 minutes ago, grade said:

Sorry if I'm insisting on this. The countries you said, for example East Timor, the official name for every language is Timor-Leste. I mean, if the highest authority of Football, which is FIFA, uses the official version and not the UK-English version, FM should reflect that.

Ivory Coast is the same, it is not the official name, since the president of the country a few years ago, requested that the name of the country is Côte d'Ivoire, regardless of language. In this case if FIFA uses in their official site and officially in the competitions, FM should too.

In both cases, I think it needs to be changed, if FIFA uses the official name, FM should too. But I agree that can be debatable as they are translations.

In this case of Eswatini, they in fact change their name, I mean the wookiepedia says:

It is quite easy to find that Eswatini is used by several official names and sites (UN included).

I mean if the Queen of England decided to change name of England and it was approved and now is called the United Counties of Awesome, you probably would like to reflect that in FM, no matter how daft the name sounds.

This is the case with Eswatini, it is name change, not a simple UK-English translation, like  in your examples.

Thanks for the feedback but for now it will remain as it is.

• 2 months later...

Data Issue for the player Koffi Gueli from Togo.

Players Date of Birth in the game is 24/7/1987.

His actual Date of Birth is 31/12/1993.

Sources:

https://int.soccerway.com/players/koffi-mawukoenya-gueli/687317/

https://www.national-football-teams.com/player/74966/Koffi_Gueli.html

8 ore fa, togoport ha scritto:

Data Issue for the player Koffi Gueli from Togo.

Players Date of Birth in the game is 24/7/1987.

His actual Date of Birth is 31/12/1993.

Sources:

https://int.soccerway.com/players/koffi-mawukoenya-gueli/687317/

https://www.national-football-teams.com/player/74966/Koffi_Gueli.html

Already changed for the winter patch.

• 3 weeks later...

Chukwudi Agor 13186028 - no info about him really, history not updated since 2015. And he's -8? Needs to be corrected for next fm probably :D