[England Premier Division] Data Issues

Simon Tipple

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/12/2020 at 00:20, Nick OGS20 said:

a) His CA is already one of the highest of any 16yo in the country (probably in the entire database). We can’t predict the future - at the time of submitting the data he’d started a few of the U23 games without being particularly impressive at all, so nothing needs ‘fixing’. If his current form continues he’ll certainly be in line for an improvement in the winter update, but we don’t typically raise CAs to force a player to be picked for a certain team, given there are other factors beyond ability that go into team selection.

b) A -10 PA would be absurd at this stage. There’s one in the entire database currently (a player who was playing first team football to a good standard at 16). There are very few -95s and again most/all of those have a much stronger case. The sort of rating you are asking for is guaranteed world-class potential, and if you’re basing your judgement off watching him play rather than just hype then that isn’t a call you can realistically make at this stage. Even Mason Greenwood didn’t get that sort of PA at the same stage and he was far more impressive at the same age.

On 12/12/2020 at 18:28, swansongs said:

Worth noting that there's a lot of young players featuring in u23s sides at the moment due to the coronavirus, with first team bubbles preventing top u23s (those who train in the first team) from mixing regularly with academy players. Swansea's u23s have given debuts and starts to at least 4 16 year olds already this season, without it necessarily being a mark of exceptional ability. Early advancement is easier at the moment in real life compared to the gameworld where covid isn't a factor, so it's sensible not to get too excited by appearances at this stage.

So now he has been drawn into the first team squad . Well, give him a -95 then. It's a lot harder to get anywhere near Man Uniteds first team then most other teams, including FC Barcelona. This is especially true currently with the huge (too big) squad depth. I'd say Shoretire is more impressive then Greenwood at this age. Greenwood was nowhere near the first team squad aged 16, with a weaker squad mind you. Greenwoods PA was also too low in FM19, so why making a mistake twice? I'd also say (from watching both), that there shouldn't be any discussion, that Shoretires technique (first touch, ball control) is quite a bit better, arguably better then Greenwoods current technique. Of course things can still go wrong. But looking at other -95s from recent (or not so recent) years like Ocampos or Mastour, they can always go wrong, no matter how great the talent might be. 

And the u23 team bubble explanation is also nullified now, at the very latest with his move up to the first team squad.

42 minutes ago, Celestiale said:

So now he has been drawn into the first team squad . Well, give him a -95 then. It's a lot harder to get anywhere near Man Uniteds first team then most other teams, including FC Barcelona. This is especially true currently with the huge (too big) squad depth. I'd say Shoretire is more impressive then Greenwood at this age. Greenwood was nowhere near the first team squad aged 16, with a weaker squad mind you. Greenwoods PA was also too low in FM19, so why making a mistake twice? I'd also say (from watching both), that there shouldn't be any discussion, that Shoretires technique (first touch, ball control) is quite a bit better, arguably better then Greenwoods current technique. Of course things can still go wrong. But looking at other -95s from recent (or not so recent) years like Ocampos or Mastour, they can always go wrong, no matter how great the talent might be. 

And the u23 team bubble explanation is also nullified now, at the very latest with his move up to the first team squad.

Aside from training semi-regularly with the first team from the age of 15, going on the first team pre-season tour at 16 and being in and around match day squads from the January just after he turned 17, so nowhere near at all. :thup: Greenwood was making U18s football look like he was a man playing against boys when he was a schoolboy, Shoretire has had nowhere near that level of impact and continues to struggle to impose himself at U23 level despite his early promotion to the U23s. 

Shoretire, Elanga, Fish and Laird are making up numbers in training due to players needing rest with the schedule we have. We regularly have U18s or U23s training with the first team either to make up numbers or as a reward for hard work. They have not been promoted to the first team. It is also no indication of a player's ability - Charlie Wellens was training with the first team last year, he's struggled to impact U23s football and was dropped back down to the U18s. I can reel off a list of probably 50 players who have trained with the first team and never made it here. As for the bubble, they will have needed to have 2 weeks worth of negative COVID tests to be able to train and contact will have been limited to the session itself. They won't have been allowed to travel with a first team member or enter the first team section at Carrington. The opposite is true for Mengi, Rojo and Pellistri who have played U23 games, they can't travel with the rest of the U23 squad or enter their changing room at a game. 

4 hours ago, lbowman6 said:

Merron and Picot are still the match day physios, Sadler is coming in above them to manage physio and rehab across the entire club. In-game I'd assume Sadler will take the Head Physio role with Merron dropping to Physio First Team. 

Wolves Ownership should have Guo Guangchang as Owner but also Wang Qunbin and Liang Xinjun as directors

Daniel Podence should also have the abilty to play as a striker as he is listed as a striker on club website

Craig Shakespeare is also a fan of Aston Villa which isn't listed in his profile

Shakespeare on Smith friendship and his Villa ties | AVFC

First-Team | Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (wolves.co.uk)

Fosun Group | Wolverhampton Wanderers FC (wolves.co.uk)

Tariq Lamptey: pace 16 is too low, should increased to 18-19. 

Actually Tariq beats Bayern Munich’s Alphonso Davies by a mere 0.09 km/h!

image.png.213b413138e78d6e625d970f5e9efb41.png

Jayden Braaf: pa -8 is underrated for him, should be -85 or -9.

Jayden Braaf has been named as the 2020 ManCity U23s Players' Player of the Year, he won this title when he was 17 years old.

And compared to Sancho when they both aged 17,  Jayden Braaf mainly plays for u23, and sancho mainly plays for u18.

I think Braaf is as good as sancho, and his pa is too low for him.

image.png.d70766383c701e3f76c94eb1c8952356.png

No idea if this is the right thread but there's a kit clash between Wolves and West Brom both home and away (screenshot attached for reference). I understand this was raised previously but is still an issue. It's impossible to change via the pre-game Editor in the "kit selection" screen. 

West Brom should play in their home kit at Molineux and Wolves should be fine to play in their home kit at the Hawthorns. 

Kit Selection (A).PNG

Kit Selection (H).PNG

8 hours ago, acceptz said:

Jayden Braaf: pa -8 is underrated for him, should be -85 or -9.

Jayden Braaf has been named as the 2020 ManCity U23s Players' Player of the Year, he won this title when he was 17 years old.

And compared to Sancho when they both aged 17,  Jayden Braaf mainly plays for u23, and sancho mainly plays for u18.

I think Braaf is as good as sancho, and his pa is too low for him.

image.png.d70766383c701e3f76c94eb1c8952356.png

The two seasons you are comparing are JS's scholarship year (16->17yo) and JB's second year (17->18).
JB's first year at City is more comparable to JS's. In the equivalent of JB's second year that you have posted here - JS played 12 games in the Bundesliga.

JB's birthdate on the very last possible day for inclusion in his group means that this sort of data is skewed anyway, comparable in some aspects, but not completely fair either way.

I don't really disagree about Braaf having a high ceiling, but I'm not sure it's as high as Sancho. Also he's not played much this season for me to re-evaluate, and it looks like he won't be around for much longer. @Reddiablo & @Philip Rolfe might think differently.

• SI Staff
55 minutes ago, Sean Blinkhorn said:

The two seasons you are comparing are JS's scholarship year (16->17yo) and JB's second year (17->18).
JB's first year at City is more comparable to JS's. In the equivalent of JB's second year that you have posted here - JS played 12 games in the Bundesliga.

JB's birthdate on the very last possible day for inclusion in his group means that this sort of data is skewed anyway, comparable in some aspects, but not completely fair either way.

I don't really disagree about Braaf having a high ceiling, but I'm not sure it's as high as Sancho. Also he's not played much this season for me to re-evaluate, and it looks like he won't be around for much longer. @Reddiablo & @Philip Rolfe might think differently.

I would leave him as is for this edition. Haven't really caught too much of him (at all) - but he's not really touted that highly over here in Holland.  We could be wrong, but -8 should fit for now, for the lack of further info available. I know a few Man City people were high on him early 2020 still - but I see a player with a -8 potential as a player with a good chance to reach the Dutch National Team.

Hi Guys, 

First time i've done a bug post. 

There is a youth player in the Man City team called Dire Mebude (on the game). On my version he appears to have several middle names added to his 'information' page, two appear to be duplicated as I believe his birth name is Adedire Awokoya-Mebude, but on the game it appears as Adedire Emmanuel OIuwatofunmi Iyiola (these last two repeat) OIuwatofunmi Iyiola Awokoya-Mebude. Could this be checked out via your typical sources? 

His brother Dapo is also on the game, and has a Wikipedia page, but Dire does not. However I found him on the website below if that helps (its has a shorter version of Dire's name)

Thanks

ps - good player too....

dire.png

dire 2.png

42 minutes ago, kentonizking said:

There is a youth player in the Man City team called Dire Mebude (on the game). On my version he appears to have several middle names added to his 'information' page, two appear to be duplicated as I believe his birth name is Adedire Awokoya-Mebude, but on the game it appears as Adedire Emmanuel OIuwatofunmi Iyiola (these last two repeat) OIuwatofunmi Iyiola Awokoya-Mebude. Could this be checked out via your typical sources? 

Good spot, the PL squad list confirms it as Adedire Emmanuel Oluwatofunmi Iyiola Awokoya-Mebude.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1869523 

I believe that there are some fairly major flaws with the ratings of several Tottenham Hotspur players. These flaws have led to Spurs hugely underperforming across many people's saves - see this thread, where many people have observed Spurs finishing in midtable, and relegation battles are more common than title challenges. Some people have put that down to Mourinho's preferred tactical style, but that seems implausible to me, as the style suits the Spurs squad well, and surely the match engine isn't so flawed as to render something so common as 'fluid counter-attack' unviable.

In this post, I will outline what I believe to be the flaws with the ratings of the Spurs squad, both in terms of attributes and PPMs, and will try my best to support all of this with plenty of evidence.

Hugo Lloris

Last season, Hugo Lloris over-performed his xG2 - a statistical measure of the likelihood of the shots he faced being saved - by 31%, more than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League. I can't find xG2 stats for this season, but fbref records his save percentage this season as the highest of his career, with last year coming in second place. In other words, the statistics show that Lloris is as good a shot-stopper as he's ever been, and still among the very best in the league, despite his age. 

His CA this year is 148, having been 157 last year. Now, a good part of this does seem to have come from his acceleration and pace being reduced, which makes sense, but there has also been downgrades to his reflexes and his agility. He's now rated as the seventh best goalkeeper in the league, and assessed by the Spurs staff as a 2.5 star player. I would recommend restoring his reflexes and agility to their previous level, and increasing his positioning and composure by a point each. This would take his CA up to 153.

Matt Doherty

Matt Doherty's in-game representation is as a dribbling full-back, with a good dribbling attribute (15) and a player trait that encourages him to run with the ball. He's never been the type to attempt a lot of dribbles, 1.5 attempts per 90 his highest in a Premier League season - for reference, Aurier's most is 2.8 per 90, and Ricardo Pereira's is 3.6 per 90. Nor is his dribbling particularly impressive - 50% success this season, 60% last, 43% the season before. 

I would recommend lowering his dribbling by two points, and removing his 'runs with ball down right' player trait, in order to more accurately reflect him as a player. Reducing his crossing by a point may also be worth doing, but I'm basing that entirely on the 'eye test.' I feel downgrades are warranted, as Doherty has struggled to maintain a starting place ahead of Serge Aurier, who he is noticeably better than in-game. 

CA would go from 144 to 142.

Serge Aurier

Unlike Matt Doherty, Serge Aurier is a player who likes to run with the ball. He's decent at it, though unremarkable - 56% this season, 62% last, 56% the year before. His dribbling stat at 13, and his technique stat at 12, however, are pretty poor. His dribbling stat could come up a point, and I'd argue for his technique to come up by two or three. His technical skill is pretty good, he gets nice curve on his crosses from deep, and he's hit some excellent curving finishes, some with the outside of his foot (Olympiakos 19/20) or his weak foot (Wolves 19/20). 

His crossing is admittedly pretty hard to represent, he's good at one particular cross - high, curling, from deep - but pretty poor at other - low, or from the byline. 

As for his player traits, I think 'dives into tackles' may be appropriate, as he's often fairly rash when making challenges. He's got a reputation for giving away penalties, and I think that's because he goes for the tackle when it may be wiser to stand off. I haven't seen him argue with many officials lately, so that trait could perhaps by dropped. 

CA would go from 140 to 141.

Eric Dier

Eric Dier is 6'3 and has won more aerial duels than any other Spurs player this season, top twenty in the league. His jumping reach stat of 13 looks a little odd. I'd be tempted to push this up to 15, as he really is pretty good in the air these days.

On the other hand, his tackling of 16 could probably come down a couple of points, as he's no longer a particularly great tackler. His tackle success rate in 2016/17 was 75%, this season it's 56%, and I think that most Spurs fans would agree that he's not the ball-winning magnet he was back then anymore. 

His CA would be unchanged, but I believe he would more accurately reflect his real-life counterpart. 

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg

Hojbjerg has, so far this season, already played through a bleeding head injury, and tried to play on after a tackle that broke his shinpad and cut his leg open. His bravery of 15 could probably stand to be increased into top-tier territory, 17 or 18. I could also see any of aggression, determination, or leadership being increased, but that's very subjective.

Hojbjerg is sixth in the league for tackles won, and leads the Spurs team for interceptions. He's become a key player for Spurs due to his ability to win the ball back, and I feel that aspect of his game is underrated. His tackling stat (15) is fine, but his anticipation (13) and positioning (13) are fairly poor for a top-six ballwinner. I think both of those mental stats could come up by a couple of points. 

On the ball, Hojbjerg makes a lot of passes, the ninth most in the league, but generally keeps them fairly simple, and has a pass completion of 87.3%. He has one assist this season, and assists a shot less than once every other game. As such, I think his vision could come down from 15 to 13, as he's not a particularly expansive passer. 'Tries killer balls often' should probably go, as should 'likes to switch ball to other flank.' 'Plays short simple passes' could come in, or this could be seem as a tactical choice rather than inherent to the player. 

These changes would increase his CA from 145 to 147, and make him more of a defensive midfielder, less of a roaming playmaker.

---

Will add more later.

Coufal 

Seems to be the worse full back at West Ham from what I've seen. 

His anticipation being at a rating of only 10 makes him unusable as a full back. So that most definitely needs to be changed to 13-14.

I actually think he's our best defender in terms of sensing danger & I've watched every game of him this season.

I don't agree with his low first touch or low crossing either. First touch also has looked good and his decision making and composure look better than 11 for both.

Overall to further elaborate, In the match engine I was conceding goals always down Coufal's side because he kept letting runners in behind not knowing where they are.

He's been the opposite since joining West Ham, very switched on as a defender.

Edited by Rockywhu

Quite a small bug but anyway it's still there as it was in FM20: Solskjaer's history shows that he took the manager post of MUFC in 2019 and left the same day so his biography doesn't update his achievements even though if he continues at United. It just shows he was interim manager 2018-19 and manager 2019-19.

OT: Where should I complain about the profiles and milestone pages etc? :) I think the UI is much worse than before, doesn't show exact dates of things happening etc like before.

20210114004916_1.thumb.jpg.911fcccc94ce3ccbf8061e13f5db055e.jpg

20210114005107_1.jpg

Edited by v.d.Moon

Scott Sellars position has changed at Wolves to Technical Director. 

Also Paul Ince, Denis Irwin, Dave Jones should be in club favourite personnel as they were the first to win promotion to Premier League via playoffs in 2003. 

Mick Mccarthy, Karl Henry and Kenny Jackett should to for leading the club up as champions of championship and league 1.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/20210114-sellars-becomes-technical-director/

I think Keiran Teirney is underrated with his atts,

Crossing, Marking, Passing, work rate, natural fitness, stamina and determination could all be improved slightly,

He imo is a better player than Andy Robertson and will go onto be the best left back in the work soon, he isn't far away from that just now.

• SI Staff
8 hours ago, bigbeezer said:

I think Keiran Teirney is underrated with his atts,

Crossing, Marking, Passing, work rate, natural fitness, stamina and determination could all be improved slightly,

He imo is a better player than Andy Robertson and will go onto be the best left back in the work soon, he isn't far away from that just now.

Not sure about the last bit, but Tierney will be getting reviewed in line with his excellent performances in recent weeks.

On 24/11/2020 at 16:32, bananahk said:

regarding to Liverpool square rating

Salah:

I can seldom see Salah freekick hit the target. 

after search in internet, I find this: 

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-fans-lambast-klopps-decision-give-free-kicks-salah/

and now, even Robertson is choose to tick freekick rather then salah left foot.

(btw, do the database and researcher on phase about free kick near corner and a real corner?)

I do think salah freekick should be downgrade to 11, with VVD (at lease VVD don't walk in to take direct freekick. I know on early year VVD have that skill but I do think seldom train will make him forgot how to do it, at lease we dont see him in liverpool take direct freekick) 

Milner:

he already not used to be Left or Right MF, but he would sometime deploy on Both Leftback and Right back. For me I would lower L/R MF rating at lease, and try to upper his leftback/right back. (to just compare, we see Milner on duty Leftback/Rightback than Lallana on DMF)

to compensate for the CA, I would lower his Acc/Pace by 1 point and L/R MF rating.

Henderson:

I do think his work rate should be further upper as he was nonstop to run and press and also cover defend position.

Also, his home reputation is far more than we think. His reputation also makes him the no. 1 player on England and Liverpool team sheet.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/liverpool-jordan-henderson-sets-up-premier-league-coronavirus-fund-for-nhs

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/14/england-2019-players-of-the-year-revealed-140120

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-fwa-footballer-year-2020-22408421

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/405313-jordan-henderson-wins-liverpool-s-men-s-player-of-the-season-award

But I would also recommend lower his jumping ability as he seldom fight win for header (I know he is 182cm and cannot rate too low, but he really bad on jump off the ground)

Gomes:

I do not think he is good at jumping.

Like above, I know he is 188cm so you would not give a bad rating but we can see him easy lose header without VVD, Matip present.

I will only give him 13 for jumping and 13 for heading.

on some report before that he is the quickest player on the field. I understand Salah and Mane may have a better acclaration, but i would give gomez a 18 in pace also.

https://liverpoollatestnews.com/top-5-fastest-liverpool-players-132405/

VVD:

As the above link, I will also give 17 for Pace. 

For whole team:

I don't know why, after a champions cup winner and EPL winner, no player have any is rating over 18. (except new comer Tiago which is rate by other)

I have a feeling, that to make sure the rating not go over 18, need to upper other rating to make up the current ability...(its just feel, sorry if I say sth wrong or too offensive, O...finally I see henderson leadership...)

stop here first...for first day :)

@bananahk I agree with Salah and VVD regards free kicks - neither of them hardly take direct free kicks for Liverpool.

I'm happy with Milner as being 'accomplished' in those positions for now - he has the stamina to play back and forth in those positions still.

Hendo's Work Rate is 18 which again I'm ok with.

Gomez Jumping Reach could come down -1. Pace could go up +1. Neither though would make any noticeable affect in game I don't believe.

VVD's Pace I'm ok with, don't underestimate Anticipation attribute as you don't get too many straight sprint races with VVD and an attacker, in part to his ability at anticipating the danger first.

On 13/01/2021 at 22:52, v.d.Moon said:

Quite a small bug but anyway it's still there as it was in FM20: Solskjaer's history shows that he took the manager post of MUFC in 2019 and left the same day so his biography doesn't update his achievements even though if he continues at United. It just shows he was interim manager 2018-19 and manager 2019-19.

OT: Where should I complain about the profiles and milestone pages etc? :) I think the UI is much worse than before, doesn't show exact dates of things happening etc like before.

20210114004916_1.thumb.jpg.911fcccc94ce3ccbf8061e13f5db055e.jpg

20210114005107_1.jpg

I'd raise both issues in the user interface section of the bugs forum - the spell as manager doesn't have an end date set in the database so shouldn't be showing like that in-game.

Hi,Sir

I want to feedback a question about a young player from Everton U23 Team.

I think everyone in your team knows his name.He is Ellis Simms,A young England striker who scored 32 goals in 21 games at U18 PREMIER LEAGUE season 18/19.

Then He had a successful reserve league season that 8 scoreds at 12 games,And now came to Blackpool for find a new opportunity for growth.

His potential has never been displayed correctly in the game.I think the PA of him absolutely not be -7,It is lower than many players who under him in the Top Scored list.

Maybe the potential ability value of -9 matches his ability better. The data mentioned before can refer to the picture below.

22222.png

11111111.png

Edited by WangZhe

Mount PA 168 is too low. I think he should be 175 or more. First of all, he just had his 22nd birthday, very young. Second, although the result of Chelsea is worse, but mount is undoubtedly the most dazzling one. Also, he has the attribute of iron man and never gets hurt. He trains hard and runs and presses tirelessly in the game. He can adapt to any coach, any tactics, his future is limitless.

mount.jpg

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Removed a couple of posts, if you can't post politely, constructively and in the appropriate manner, then please read the house rules and post accordingly otherwise it will be removed

Pathetic, immature comments that discourage constructive dialogue and input from Researchers.

On 14/01/2021 at 18:48, Mr Ford 1877 said:

Scott Sellars position has changed at Wolves to Technical Director. 

Also Paul Ince, Denis Irwin, Dave Jones should be in club favourite personnel as they were the first to win promotion to Premier League via playoffs in 2003. 

Mick Mccarthy, Karl Henry and Kenny Jackett should to for leading the club up as champions of championship and league 1.

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/20210114-sellars-becomes-technical-director/

Thanks. Sellars position has been updated.

McCarthy is on the db as favoured personnel already, I will up his rating a bit, same with Jackett. Things turned very sour with Karl Henry though so I'd probably argue that he shouldn't be on there.

I'll put the other 3 on too.

Thanks

Stuart Lewis is still appearing as a player in game - he should be retired and made a U18 coach at Spurs.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/stu-calls-it-a-day-207497/

Likewise ex Spurs player, Danny Hutchins should now be retired and made first team coach at Baldock Town.

https://www.baldocktownfc.com/teams/6241/the-team

Edited by lbowman6

On 20/01/2021 at 00:22, iownyou said:

Michail Antonio

His strength in the game is 13, jumping reach is 11, work rate 14. In fact pretty much all of his abilities are a massively low. Strength at 13 though is one that should be looked at for sure.

Antonio is one of the strongest players inside the Premier League, he's been massively underrated for years on FM.

His finishing of 12 is too low, he just lacks composure sometimes,13 at least for finishing and Strength is 18 for me at least

Edited by Rockywhu

On 26/11/2020 at 17:13, Simon Tipple said:

Appreciate the feedback but the only response I can really give at this time is that there's a lot of football to be played between now and the winter update.

We put a lot of effort into rating players based on the previous season. This gives us a solid foundation and a good sample size to asses the performance of players. Our internal testing has given us confidence that our processes are working pretty well. 

We'll have a clearer picture as to where things stand in the new year and all clubs will of course be reviewed at that point. 

Halfway though the season... Crawling out of the woodwork to say, I was wrong, good job researchers haha.

Though I will forever maintain Martial and Rashford are seriously overrated, Bruno Fernandes is just unreal, the penalties help. but hey, they matching in game to IRL

58 minutes ago, BluebirdsCCFC said:

Liverpool's Rhys Williams is playing for Wales Under 21s on my save, but to my knowledge, despite his very Welsh-sounding name, he doesn't qualify for Wales. I've performed a few Google searches and can't find any mention of it.

No qualification that I'm aware of either. Another Jarrod Bowen, sounds like he should be Welsh but no actual link.

2 hours ago, BluebirdsCCFC said:

Liverpool's Rhys Williams is playing for Wales Under 21s on my save, but to my knowledge, despite his very Welsh-sounding name, he doesn't qualify for Wales. I've performed a few Google searches and can't find any mention of it.

Thanks for that. I am not aware that he can represent Wales, he was born in Preston and played at various national levels for England - though I don't know about his parentage.

1 hour ago, diddydaddydoddy said:

Thanks for that. I am not aware that he can represent Wales, he was born in Preston and played at various national levels for England - though I don't know about his parentage.

Cheers, thought so. Not sure if it's too late to remove it pre-data lock for the winter update.