The FM 21 Pentagon Challenge

Sad about not being able to travel around the world this year? Do it virtually! While you are there pick up the top club football prizes from five continents.

AIM

Win the 5 playable major continental club competitions of the world (The Champions League of AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, UEFA and the Copa Libertadores). 

RULES

These are the original rules for the challenge, If you wish to play it with custom rules please feel free to do so.

- Attribute masking and disabling of in game editor should be applied when creating your game.

- Start unemployed with Sunday league reputation and no coaching badges. How you split initial attribute points is up to you.

- No international management.

- Cosmetic changes to database are allowed, as are adding in leagues that are unplayable by default. 

- Keep us updated with your progress in this thread each season, starting with a screenshot of your manager on appointment to their first job.

TIPS

Adaptability is a mental attribute for your manager that increases your chances of finding employment in foreign leagues. Consider putting points into that when creating your manager.

Be prepared to make use of home grown talent. There is a 5 player foreigner limit in South Africa. The Asian Champions League squad restrictions only allow for 3 foreign players to be registered (with an additional 1 player from within Asia).

Asian Champions League continues to have a bug where clubs from non-playable leagues do not adhere to foreign player restrictions. So watch out for unfairly strong Middle Eastern sides on your way to the ACL.

Sort out your Brazilian club colours before starting a save.

Make yourself aware of who the sugar daddy teams are as they are the clubs to aspire to manage. Background and underwriter sugar daddy clubs are rife in China and South Korea. 

Seems like getting decent starting jobs is easier than the last version. I kept holding out for a role that could provide immediate silverware and didn't have to wait long. My first job is in Guadalajara, Mexico.

leones-negros-logo-1974B51207-seeklogo.com.png

Manager Profile - Job Offer - League Table

2 games left in the opening half of the season with a small chance of qualifying for the finals. Squad has an amazing Colombian right winger but is lacking in left sided positions. Aim is to win promotion as soon as possible and find a move to a club that can challenge for continental silverware.

leones-negros-logo-1974B51207-seeklogo.com.png

Leones Negros - 2020/2021

Opening League - Opening Finals - Closing League - Closing Finals

First of all, a revision to my last aim - there is no promotion in the Mexican league anymore :D Then again I didn't get to learn about it the hard way as I crashed out of both playoffs. I tried to commit to the boards aim of exciting football, but I could never really manage to replicate on the pitch what I had on the tactics screen.

Squad - Massively relied on Yilton Díaz, who was by far and away my most capable player. Unfortunately the big Mexican teams came calling in the mid season transfer window and to quell a squad rebellion, he had to be sold for a measly £20k. Will be tough to replace. Top youth prospect Patricio Ruiz is a player I like the look of and will be looking to give him plenty of game time next season.

Transfers -  Only allowed three foreign players in first 11 so I think I was rash in handing out one of them to Elias, a goalkeeper. My left back I signed is now 36 so that is another area that needs looking at for next years title push.

Finances - Tough to make money at this level and it looks like the coffers will run dry soon enough. Good job I don't plan to be here when the penny pinching begins.

Next season will be my last with this club regardless. Hopefully the next club can be a team that can actually compete in the top division.

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Other              Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2020/21  Leones Negros            2nd(Quater Finalist) N/A             N/A           N/A               N/A           Joined after 13 games.
2020/21  Leones Negros            4th(Semi Finalist)   N/A             N/A           N/A               N/A           

Ok, started again with new patch. Database start was in late August and wasn't until December when Tuks offered me the job. They have had an awful start to the season and are planted to the foot of the table; thankfully all the board want from me is to fight bravely against relegation. On the bright side they have excellent facilities and I'm looking forward to managing this team long term. The plan is to stay in South Africa until the African Champions League title is mine.

xaJ1UtJ5RxkvZNUQxkIOOQ_96x96.png

Manager Profile - Job Offer - League Table - Facilities

Tuks - 2020/21

League Table - Was clear from game 1 that my team was much more capable than just fighting it out in a relegation battle. Quickly escaped that and eventually settled for a comfortable mid table slot. Was already knocked out of cup by time I arrived so it is not shown.

Transfers - Small turnover by me but that will change this summer as I intend to make the best use out of my facilities by having a young and trainable squad.

Finances - Stayed under budget but I'm gonna have to rely on the generosity of the board while I am still in this league

Squad - Big team with a pitiful top goalscorer of 4. Former Portsmouth player Collins Mbesuma will be leaving as I look to freshen up the team. Mlungisi Garcia is the pick of the youth intake, who is a great personality to have in the locker room.

Got some great upgrades to key positions on the way already and I hope to have my first silverware in the bag by the end of the season.

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Other              Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2020/21  Tuks                      7th                 Prelim         N/A           N/A                N/A        Joined after 9 league games.

Edited by Balahara

Tuks - 2021/22

League Table - Total breeze. Made some signings that were way too good for this division and their quality showed. Had an end of season drop of form with 6 consecutive draws, but by that point the title was basically wrapped up.

Cup - Very eventful cup run with three trips to extra time in a row. Rode our luck against Sundowns and was lucky to come away from it with a penalty shootout victory. Game against Cape Town was a different story, where we fully deserved a win inside the 90 before conceding a 90th minute header from a corner to send it into ET. Was dreaming of a cup final and African Champions League qualification when drawn against fellow first division side Baroka in the semi-final, but our form and good morale had evaporated by the day of the game and the match quality was dreadful. Nobody from either team looked like scoring and that kinda continued in the penalty shootout. Devastated to have lost a very winnable game.

Transfers - Shout of to Fabricio Cloccini for deciding to end his career in Pretoria. Matias Benitez didn't get off to a great start but eventually started showing up with the goals and improved a lot as a player. Will be hoping to keep hold of him for my maiden season in the top league. Mlungisi Garcia picked up player of the season at the ripe age of 16. Saddened to lose his perfectionist personality but there is not much I can do about that at this point. Gonna be interest from some European teams soon enough for him, he is unfortunately destined for much greater things.

Squad & Best Eleven - Foreign player limit rises from 3 to 5 next year, which I'll need to sure up a new defensive partnership.

Finances - Hoping the South African Premier Division is lucrative, because there is a deep hole the club needs to dig itself out of. 

Next season plans - Already been hit with an unwanted stadium upgrade and a downgrade to my training and youth facilities. Am questioning whether the club really has the funds to pick up the top domestic talent to really push for a Champions League win. I did apply to the Kaizer Chiefs job but didn't make the shortlist. I don't wanna leave South Africa without the African Champions League so I guess I'm seeing where Tuks takes me for another season.

2020/21  Tuks                      7th                 Prelim         N/A           N/A                N/A        Joined after 9 league games.
2021/21  Tuks                      1st                 Semi-final     N/A           N/A                N/A        Promoted. 1st league title.

Edited by Balahara

Tuks - 2022/23

League Table - Took Orlando all the way down to the penultimate game, where my customary end of season dip handed them the title. Still,  I'm delighted to get a Champions League spot and the opportunity to tick the first cup off the list next season. Gotta say I was fortunate that this season had a huge winter break due to the world cup, as the fixture congestion it created caused havoc with the AI squad rotation. Had the opportunity to get the Kaizer Chiefs job towards the end of the season but I turned it down as I think I can win titles with this young team.

Cups - Tuks celebrate the double and their first league and FA cup titles. Getting fortunate with these penalty shootouts, having only lost 1 of 5. Memorable moment in Nedbank Cup final where the deadlock was broken in extra time by the debuting 17 year old Wade Coetsee. Didn't want to play my regular AML as they had a 'dreads big matches' trait. Chuffed to see it pay off.

Transfers - Sadly these cut out the deals made before mid July. I was actually more heavily involved in the market than this shows. Spent money for the first time signing Netto, just because of his free kicks really. Didn't really provide on that front, I guess set pieces aren't as deadly as they were in FM20.

Squad - Matias Benitez was dependable upfront and is really suited to my counter tactic with his pace and dribbling. While my best player is clearly still Mlungisi Garcia, the fans player of the year went to Siyanda Msani for his exploits in defence,

Tactic - Going for a high pace counter style. Might run into problems keeping it this way as teams start to shut up shop against me. I was already dropping some crucial points to teams I should be beating towards the tail end of the season. I would like to fit in promising AMC Lerato Motloung into the team anyway, so a 4-2-3-1 will be experimented with next season.

Finances - Helped enormously with cup run and prize money. My financial woes aren't helped by my insistence on a full backroom team and exceptional junior coaching/recruitment, although I think it is working out with the terrific youth products that pop up every year. 

Next season plans - Get the African Champions League so I can move on. Will be a tougher season next year as I battle it out in continental competition along with a regular season schedule. Wouldn't be too upset if I failed at getting the CL this year, what I do need is qualification to do it the season after where my young team will be ready to wipe away the competition.

2021/21  Tuks                      1st                 Semi-final     N/A           N/A                N/A        Promoted. 1st league title.
2022/23  Tuks                      2nd                 Winner         Winner        N/A                N/A        Double cup winners. 

Tuks - 2023/24

League table - Foiled again by my end of season inability to score. Went in to the final day one point behind Sundowns, but they got their win and condemned me to another second place finish.

Cups - First chance at the MTN 8 resulted in a tight defeat to Orlando Pirates in the final. Got my revenge in the Telkom cup with a stunning 5-1 victory over them on my way to lifting it. My penalty luck ran out in an embarrassing loss to second tier Jomo Cosmos in the FA cup.

Champions League - Plain sailing until the final, going up against a Tunis side that has won the previous 5 CAF Champions League. Sadly their quality proved too much and they were comfortable winners in spite of the 1-0 scoreline. The players they have are outstanding and it is going to cause problems for me in future attempts.

Transfers - The biggest name signing is Fellani, who at 36 just couldn't cut it. Got sent of in his second game and I never really trusted him from that point on. Was signed more for the star value than his need to the team if I am being honest.

Soro is an explosive winger who I am excited to see develop. Could be a snip at £100k

The inevitable happened with Garcia and he kicked up a fuss about wanting to move to a bigger club, so I accepted a 925k offer from Sporting Lisbon on the condition I get him back on loan for the following 18 months. They'll have got a real bargain once the loan ends.

Squad - Matias Benitez got his first 20 goal season, and as much as I've enjoyed his goals it might be time to cash in. He has a 'doesn't feel comfortable playing in big matches' trait and that is gonna be a problem when it comes to my one goal of winning a Champions League. Might even be to blame for my goal drought towards the end of the season.

Siyabonga Mokwena is the pick of the bunch for best new youth player. Building a side that has really excellent passing here.

Finances - Made enough from transfers and prize money to upgrade the training facility back to its previous level. Should be able to make some big money signings next year.

Next season plans - I expect I'll need to overcome Es Tunis in the champions league, so I'll need to be wary about having players that cannot handle big games. I think I need to better utilise my foreign player slots to have the quality needed to beat them. Hopefully some big things can be done in the transfer window now I have some funds to splurge.

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Notes
2020/21  Tuks                      7th                 Prelim         N/A           N/A                Joined after 9 league games.
2021/21  Tuks                      1st                 Semi-final     N/A           N/A                Promoted. 1st league title.
2022/23  Tuks                      2nd                 Winner         Winner        N/A                Double cup winners. 
2023/24  Tuks                      2nd                 2nd Rnd        Winner        Runner-up          MTN8 runner-up.

Tuks - 2024/25

League Table - Won my first 8 games in a row and never looked like losing from that point. Pleased to have finally got over the line at the third attempt.

Cups - Three penalty defeats to teams I really should have been beating. A shame I couldn't collect every cup during my time in charge.

Champions League - Met Tunis in group stage where we traded wins, I was pretty sure we'd meet again in final and it proved to be the case. Tunis had the better of us in the final but we managed to take it to a penalty shootout. After losing the last three I was dreading it, but it went my way and I can tick the first goal off the list and move on.

Transfers - Biggest signing so far in Andile Brown, costing £475k. Would be a great keeper for years to come and is already taking over as South Africas number 1. My star striker Benitez was punted to Parma for just under a million and was replaced by South African target man Lebo Mothiba.

Squad - Starting to get bloated but it is packed with amazing youth talent. Got several players wanted by European clubs with money, If I was staying another year I would have definitely cashed in and tried raising enough funds to get a stadium upgrade. My favourite player was club captain Zubo Gxabuza who was dynamite on the wing.

Finances - Wage and staff budget starting to really mount into monthly losses, but was saved by prize money from winning the league and CAF Champions League.

Next season plans - Right after celebrating my champions league win over Tunis I was on the jobs board, and had a few options. In the end I turned down ridiculous money at Beijing Guoan and a champions league quater final with Pohang Steelers to take the job at K-League 2 side FC Anyang. Anyang had a tycoon takeover 3 years ago but have not done anything with it. This will change as I look to splash the cash and compete with the top South Korean sides as soon as possible. A £26.5m budget will go a long way in this league I feel. I join Anyang at the halfway point in the season with them languishing in mid table. I feel bad for leaving Tuks in the lurch as I've jetted off with my assistant manager and two coaches to Anyang on the morning of their World Club Cup game with Porto. Good luck :lol:

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Notes
2020/21  Tuks                      7th                 Prelim         N/A           N/A                Joined after 9 league games.
2021/21  Tuks                      1st                 Semi-final     N/A           N/A                Promoted. 1st league title.
2022/23  Tuks                      2nd                 Winner         Winner        N/A                Double cup winners. 
2023/24  Tuks                      2nd                 2nd Rnd        Winner        Runner-up          MTN8 runner-up.
2024/25  Tuks                      1st                 2nd Rnd        Semi-final    Winner             League and CL double. Joined FC Anyang.

Having a crack at this after really getting into the game last year. Being from NZ, I also added my own country in to make it a Hexagon challenge and have started off there with a team who look a good chance of claiming some silverware - Caversham AFC in the NZ Southern League. Hopefully will pick up some trophies here, step up to an NZ Football League Job soon enough and can pick up an OFC Champions League before heading offshore.

First Job.PNG

caversham facilities.PNG

first year goals.PNG

first year preview.PNG

250px-FC_Anyang.png

FC Anyang - 2025

League Table - Won the league with a game to spare thanks to a capitulation from Ansan Police. Squad was way too strong for this league even if there were some initial bad results as I moulded a tactic together.

Squad- Team on day one was quite capable in most areas, but AMC Hwang Chang-Ho was the standout. Will be my starting B2B midfielder for years to come I feel. 

Transfers - Went as mad as I could with filling out my non-Asian foreign slots and youth prospects that would listen to terms. First big money signing of the save at £2.7m Martín Di Leo didn't particularly hit the ground running and has consistency problems. Might be looking at a flop unless he can really improve on those finishing attributes. Picked up on a free after leaving Man Utd without playing a game, Omari Forson looks like a talent, and I'll be hoping for him to do well next season as my playmaker. Top domestic signing is clearly Kim Min-Hyuk, who I've prematurely made club captain. He'll grow into it...

Finances - Starting to finally make a dent in the coffers. I've managed South Korean clubs in the past and the sugar daddy chairman usually just invests money each money to keep the balance at a minimum, and this is what looks like happening here.  After years of scouring the free market I'm really itching to splash big on a player to announce Anyang in K-League 1.

Next season plans - I  want to be achieving Asian Champions League qualification which means a top 4 place. Got around £20m to spend with a new goalkeeper and holding midfielder top of the shopping list.

2024/25  Tuks                      1st                 2nd Rnd        Semi-final    Winner             League and CL double. Joined FC Anyang.
2025     Anyang                    1st                 3rd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 18 league games. Promoted.

250px-FC_Anyang.png

FC Anyang - 2026

League Table - Another season where I was let down by wretched late season form. Was in 1st for quite a bit of the season but we couldn't hold on and Suwon wrapped things up with a game to spare. Would've been nice to win but at least the goal of getting a champions league place was achieved easily. 

Cup - Boys made up for the disappointment of throwing the title away by winning the FA cup in the last game of the season against fierce rivals Seoul. The prize money on offer here is nothing compared to South Africa so it is of no real consequence to my finances.

Squad - Di Leo lead the line. If this was FM20 he would have had so many goals from free kicks, unfortunately I'm not seeing that much benefit from his dead ball skills in this version. Can't help but think I'd be doing better with a more clinical finisher who isn't inconsistent. Re-training Hwang Chang-Ho as a B2B player as I have an inside forward on the left wing. It's nice to have a youth product involved among all the mad transfer imports.

Transfers - Pretty active to say the least. Biggest spend was on the immensely talented Koo Kyung-Keun, who was a first team player at 16 years of age. One notable outgoing was my star left back and captain Kim Min-Hyuk, who left for Jeonbuk after his release clause was met. They've stolen him at a measly £900k.

Finances -  This was taken immediately after spending £5.3m to upgrade training and youth facilities.  The coffers are beginning to dwindle, but what is the point of having a sugar daddy chairman if you don't spend it.

Next season plans - I'm gonna assume that the Korean sides are the hardest to beat in the Asian Champions League, so based on our league performances we are in with a shot. Got a big chunk of money to spend to enhance the team ready to grab some more silverware next year. 

2025     Anyang                    1st                 3rd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 18 league games. Promoted.
2026     Anyang                    2nd                 Winner         N/A           N/A                

250px-FC_Anyang.png

FC Anyang - 2027

League table - Only a two point improvement on last seasons amount and it wasn't enough to lift the title. Had tactical issues that I'll get into later, but Daegu beat me three times in the league and deserved to pick up their first ever title. Champions of last season Suwon actually ended up losing their playoff and got relegated, which was a massive shock.

Cup - Tough draw early on but I still should have been beating Jeonbuk. Another cup slips away.

Champions League - Fortunes were much better in the cup that mattered. Actually thought I had been eliminated when Central Coast scored a 95th minute winner, only to be saved by being one of the best place second place finishers. From that point on with my tactical switch the games were a lot more decisive. The final against Al-Hilal was pretty comfortable, with Di Leo scoring the goal of the save so far with an amazing chip over the keeper from well outside the box. 

Squad - For the start of the season I tried getting fancy with a new tactic. I made Jae-Suk a wide target man to compliment lone striker Di Leo and AMC Forson...it went horribly and nearly cost me my job. After another goalless defeat to Central Coast Mariners I had a Mike Bassett moment and reverted to a basic 4-4-2. From that moment on results improved drastically. Di Leo as a support striker unlocked his true potential with an assist total of 19. The wingers were crucial in this set up so I used my precious foreign slots on Zaïm and Gonzalez

Transfers - Biggest signing went on getting in a quality centre back in Kenjirô Saitô, signed for £2.4m from Southampton. Would be future captain material if those leadership courses did anything. Wonderkid Koo Kyung-Keun was upset about me rejecting an offer from PSG during the mid season break, so I made the choice to sell him for a measly £3.8m to make him happy.

Finances - Tycoon chairman keeping things rosy. Everything set up for the next manager to do what I couldn't and give Anyang their first K-League championship.

Next season plans - Took a while to find a job offer that was good enough. Was hoping to do the save using only teams that hadn't won a Champions League but I couldn't turn down the chance of taking the Monterrey job when nothing else seemed viable. I join them with 13 games left of the closing stage with them doing much worse than their predicted 6th place finish. 

2026     Anyang                    2nd                 Winner         N/A           N/A                
2027     Anyang                    2nd                 Q-Final        N/A           Winner             2/5 Complete. Joined Monterrey.

I myself have just started a pentagon challenge, the first club I have gone to is Chennai City in India.I must say the rules are very confusing! How exactly do I qualify for the champions league and is there a reason why some high profile Indian teams do not have a league?

39 minutes ago, tcsanderson said:

I myself have just started a pentagon challenge, the first club I have gone to is Chennai City in India.I must say the rules are very confusing! How exactly do I qualify for the champions league and is there a reason why some high profile Indian teams do not have a league?

The I-League is the historical football league in India. The Indian super league is a recent creation and not supported by default in FM. 

Had a quick look on wiki and it says that India should be getting a preliminary round slot for AFC Champions League.

1 hour ago, Balahara said:

The I-League is the historical football league in India. The Indian super league is a recent creation and not supported by default in FM. 

Had a quick look on wiki and it says that India should be getting a preliminary round slot for AFC Champions League.

Thank you man!

47 minutes ago, whizzkid said:

What setup does everyone use eg what leagues or advanced setup?

Spoiler

C4447A9465A7588B7E7ECCB9E91A3E39B3A123A2

This is how I set mine up on a mid range PC that is 4 years old. Canada and India aren't gonna get you a champions league but they are potential starting points to build up a reputation. The rest are all countries that can provide Champions League winners. Shaved off European lower leagues that are splintered to save on processing time.

mty43.png?itok=D38ow-eK

Monterrey - 2027/28

Closing League Table - Closing League Playoffs - Did an alright job of steadying the ship to clinch a preliminary spot in the playoffs. Got past Cruz Azul on penalties in a game we deserved to win. However was soundly defeated by Pumas in the quarter final.

Squad - Got a good squad here. Best player attribute wise is Brazilian striker Neyveson, who is clearly talented but he didn't score ONE goal for me. XG to goal ratio is shocking too. Got a Monterrey made wonderkid Hiram Rodriguez who is gonna be an amazing player. Next best player to highlight is left winger Osmar. As you can see, my attack is potent and I'll be looking to overwhelm the opposition in my tactic for next season.

Finances - Still got an £8.5m training and youth facility upgrade to come, but even still the club is in decent shape financially. 

Next season plans - 4 teams get a champions league place (I assume this is the finalists of the opening and closing stages?). That is what I am aiming for. 

2027     Anyang                    2nd                 Q-Final        N/A           Winner             2/5 Complete. Joined Monterrey.
2027/28  Monterrey                 7th                 2nd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 6 league of closing stage.

mty43.png?itok=D38ow-eK

Monterrey - 2028/29

Opening TableOpening Playoffs / Closing Table / Closing Playoffs - Quite like the league system in Mexico, I secured a Champions League spot by the halfway point of the season with a win in the opening stage. After I won that teams started playing more cautiously which affected my results. Laboured to a 6th place finish in the closing stage but was utterly embarrassed in Quarter Final by losing a 4 goal lead in the second leg to Santos Laguna. Totally my fault for putting in a load of reserve players with my regular positive tactic. 

Cups - Didn't take Atlanta seriously and paid the price early on in the season in the Leagues Cup. Had an easier time of it in the Mexican cup apart from a scare against a poor Tampico Madero side. 

Squad - Neyveson led the line again but I can't be too impressed with a goal tally of 14 from 45. Definitely some tactical adjustments needed because he is a quality player. Top goalscorer went to Monterrey youth product Cantú, who was electric as an inside forward. Got a frustrating youth intake where I've got a potential great in Álamo, but his personality and determination are awful. Put him in a mentor group but nothing much has shifted yet.

Transfers - I was £11m in the red and losing money fast so I had to take Shandongs £41.5m for superstar Hiram Rodriguez. I didn't want to part with Osmar but he was starting to unsettle the squad with his moaning about wanting a move so I had to take £16.5m for him. As for ingoing's', £2.4m was well spent on wonderkid Ojeda.

Finances - Will need to be a selling club as even with a positive transfer income of £45m, the clubs balance is still only £24m. This is partly due to a loan repayment that siphons £525k/month from the club that lasts for the next three years. Spending just over £4m to get our youth facilities to the best possible level to bring it in line with our training facilities.

Next season plans - In spite of a poor Clausura, I think I'm the best team in North America. I get the chance to prove it next year in the Champions League. Hope I get it first time as I'm ready to move on. Gets a little annoying swatting away transfers offers for most of your squad knowing there's a chance of them kicking off and causing a scene. 

2027/28  Monterrey                 7th                 2nd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 6 league of closing stage.
2028/29  Monterrey                 1st/6th             Winner         1st Rnd       N/A                Apertura Champions. 

image.png.cf789cba28064e3f7769d661c5ef1a83.png
Caversham - 2020/21

League Table - Invincible, 16 wins from 16 games with only two of them being close. Team is way too good for this league, but no promotion in the NZ pyramid.

Cup - Knocked out before I got here in the Third Round. Is played before the league so will have a real crack at that if I'm still here, although will be difficult as it also includes the professional NZ Premiership Teams.

Transfers - Heaps of them. Half the squad was grey players when I joined so was able to really make an impact here, with the club being amateur and the signings working like the Non-League system does in England. Lots of good players brought in but the main one was Suleyman Muhadow, a Turkmenistani striker who got 25 goals.

Finances - Played a ton of mid-week friendlies to keep the squad happy/fit, and made some coin from them. Nothing else of note given how this league works.

Squad - Big one for this league, with an U20 team who won their NZ Division league as well. Some of the younger ones have already been pinched for next season by lower division teams but nobody of major importance yet.

Tactic - Only used one, a 4-3-3 Gegenpress. May change it slightly and go with two up front next season, as we have good quality strikers.

Keeping an eye on the job market for something new in a higher reputation league now. Was hoping for a NZ Premiership job to come up next but with only eight teams in that tier they aren't popping up as often as I'd like.

mty43.png?itok=D38ow-eK

Monterrey - 2029/2030

Opening Table / Opening Playoffs / Closing Table / Closing Playoffs -  Unbeaten league season achievement gained, although I could only win the opening stage. Form started to creak big time towards the end of the season cumulating in a 4-1 defeat to América that I couldn't claw back in the return leg.

Cups - Two cups added to the trophy cabinet. Was second best against Pumas in the leagues cup so can't be upset about our penalty shootout exit.

Champions League - This one hurt. Was the favourites for this competition but lost to a poor Toronto side courtesy of a 90th minute set piece. Really disappointed I'll have to have another season here as I'm ready to move on to Brazil or Argentina. 

Squad - Got a very strong team now. Jumped at the chance to bring Hiram Rodriguez back on loan after he was listed by Shandong. Utilised the Argentinian market to bring in my favourite three players of the squad in right winger Luciano Molina, inside forward Mario Chamorro and sweeper goalkeeper Lautaro Glavinovich.

Transfers - Racked up a pretty big transfer deficit but my squad is more than ready to pick up any championship they are apart of. Am swatting away £20m+ offers for several players if finances really start to go down the drain.

Finances - Was saved from having to sell some players with a £20m cash injection from the chairman shortly after this pic was taken. Things are good on the financial front.

Next season plans - As I can't really improve the squad and league matches are getting rather one sided, I'd really like to move on from here. Must not choke in the North American Champions League next season.

2024/25  Tuks                      1st                 2nd Rnd        S-final       Winner             League and CL double. Joined FC Anyang.
2027/28  Monterrey                 7th                 2nd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 6 games of closing stage.
2028/29  Monterrey                 1st/6th             Winner         1st Rnd       N/A                Apertura Champions. 
2029/30  Monterrey                 1st/1st             N/A            S-final       Q-Final            Apertura Champions.

Edited by Balahara

mty43.png?itok=D38ow-eK

Monterrey - 2030/2031

Opening LeagueOpening PlayoffClosing League / Closing Playoff -  Finally won both stages of the league. Was suffering in the Clausura league stage near the end but the team held if together in the playoffs to clinch the double. 

Cups - Disappointing here. With the lack of quality in MLS teams I should not be losing to them. 3-0 penalty shootout was a real kick in the teeth.

Champions League - Absolutely cruised through the cup that mattered, ending in a 9-0 aggregate win over Salt Lake in the final. Was surprised to face them in the final as I was expecting an all Mexican affair. 3/5 tasks complete.

Squad - Got a ridiculously great team. Inside forward Mario Chamorro is the best of the bunch and showed it with his 11 goal tally in the Champions League alone. On the other wing the opposition have to deal with Luciano Molina. Leading the line is Neyveson, who was great to watch and has the ability to do it all. Ojeda is the pick of the defence, playing as a ball-playing centre back. 

Transfers - Just have to show Manjarrez. What a player for 17 years of age. Kind of a shame I won't be around to see how he develops. Using him as a right back as I don't like CBs who can't compete aerially. 

Finances - Continues to look good as long as a profit is made in the transfer market. 

Next season plans - Played the start of the new season with Monterrey on auto-pilot when looking for a suitable job in Argentina or Brazil. Resigned from Monterrey after a 2-0 defeat to Ney York Red Bulls in the Campeones Cup. Around a month later Botafogo approached me for the manager role, with them around mid table with 13 games left to play in Serie A. Need top 7 for a Copa Libertadores place. 

2024/25  Tuks                      1st                 2nd Rnd        S-final       Winner             League and CL double. Joined FC Anyang.
2027/28  Monterrey                 7th                 2nd Rnd        N/A           N/A                Joined after 6 games of closing stage.
2029/30  Monterrey                 1st/1st             N/A            S-final       Q-Final            Apertura Champions.
2031/31  Monterrey                 1st/1st             N/A            Final         Winner             Apertura, Clausura and NACL winners.

image.png.cf789cba28064e3f7769d661c5ef1a83.png
Caversham - 2021/22

Manager Profile - Club Best XI - Club Awards

League - Once again an unbeaten season, this time winning all 14 games (as a team from the previous season was relegated but no team came up to replace them) with them all being very comfortable

Cup - Very disappointing. Lost in our first game in the second round, albeit to a good team. Not helped by the draw being made three days before the game and it having been 2 months since our final league game of the season prior.

Transfers - Went bonkers again, improving the overall depth in the squad. Unlikely to do much while I'm here next season, bar the odd U20 signing as I need two in the first XI per league rules.

Finances - Similar to last year, made a profit off of friendly games.

Squad - Quite a bit of change from last year but Suleyman Muhadow once again was our top player, followed by a few new signings.

Tactic - Stuck with what worked the season prior.

Future Plans - Nearly got the job at Waitakere United in the NZ Premiership towards the end of this season. Just waiting for the next job in that division to come up and I will be going for it to get closer to the first of the six Champions Leagues.

Season Team League Cup Cup 2 Continental Notes
2020/21 Caversham 1st N/A N/A N/A Joined after knocked out in Cup. Invincible in the League
2021/22 Caversham 1st 2nd Rd N/A N/A Invincible in the League

• 3 weeks later...

Probably been covered but what's best way to load leagues etc. I dont have the best laptop in the world. Currently running all leagues in england,germany and france and 3 1/2 stars. Wouldnt want to go lower than that. I am planning on buying a new one at some point but probably wont be until the summer

Have now started a YouTube series for my Hexagon Challenge if anyone is keen on following the progress of it. Will be playing OFC Champions League Football very soon with Hamilton Wanderers 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv9wQBeBvl8JPgR6st-elW-NEj58uTl6v

• 2 months later...

I have just started this out.

Decided to start in Africa. 
1st season- Managed to get a job at Uthongathi. Were running about 8th at the mid way point when I took them over. Managed to have a good run and finished 3rd. 2 wins and 2 draws in the playoffs were enough for me to earn promotion. Also had a glorious cup run making the final of the SA cup but got smacked 4-0 by Orlando Pirates. 

2nd season- turned over a large amount of the squad and snagged a couple of absolute gems. Media prediction had me 15th. Was coming 1st until the second last game where I absolutely bottled it. Ended up losing to two of the three bottom teams and missed the title by 2 pts. 1 win in 7 was a horrible end to the season and I finished 4th.

I also got offered the job for Nigeria which I took for a crack at the AFCON

In the off season the Kaiser Chiefs job came up so I thought I’d apply. To my delight I got the job, they paid $220k in compensation and off i go. Stoked because even though they came 9th there squad and resources are well beyond mine.

• 2 months later...

I realised I'd never previously completed this challenge when discussing it with a friend recently so figured I should have a proper crack at it as what will likely be my last big save of this iteration of the game. 

Upon starting out I applied for everything, and alongside a lot of youth international roles were a handful of Oceania senior positions available - I figured since I can't get a crack at the continent's champions league that I might as well cut my teeth in the international game for a bit out there before really getting into the challenge, hopefully helping me get a better job when I was to make my move in South Africa.

New Caledonia looked like the best of the available nations, and I must say it was a bit of fun arranging friendlies against the likes of Myanmar and Afghanistan and orchestrating a gradual climb up the world rankings, from 155th to 146th in my first few months in charge at the end of 2020, then a further nine places the following year when we contested the Oceania Nations Cup which also serves as the World Cup qualifying route for the region. Naturally I didn't expect to overcome New Zealand but with the competition split into two groups (and NZ drawn in the other group) followed by semi-finals and a final I wanted to win our group and hopefully go all the way to meet somebody else in the final, but that wasn't to be unfortunately. 

9b21e7c01172c4f53e9c499627530c95.jpg

6d4f712b63e0b286cf9e5acb8f1c0d92.pngNaturally nobody else could take care of the powerhouse for us and we fell at the final hurdle, but my brief stint in the international game yielded a runners-up medal, a rise of 18 places in the World Rankings and a "good" fluency in French. We were perfect with five wins in five in the group, before almost slipping up against Vanuatu in the semi-final following a 1-1 home draw in the first leg, but NZ were just too strong in the final, blowing us away 4-1 in the away leg before we salvaged a creditable 1-1 draw at home.

Following the tournament, I certainly wasn't going to hang around for its next iteration four years later with a whole Pentagon Challenge to complete, so with a heavy heart I resigned from my post at New Caledonia. 

My stint in the islands did seem to help my job search, as I landed my first ever club job with top flight mid-table side Stellenbosch FC. From paradise isles of the Pacific to South Africa's wine region, I felt like I was certainly doing something right. That feeling continued as I met the board's league expectation while delivering a surprise SA Cup triumph over soon-to-be league champions Sundowns in the final, following a few favourable draws and a late winner from my best player off the bench, who failed a pre-game fitness test but I called upon anyway.

af827d82db6f91cacbf1902e14ce7ce2.png

I inherited a misfiring star striker Ryan Moon who hadn't scored in his last ten games, and saw him improve to net 21 times in 27 games (in all competitions) by the end of the season, helping us to a respectable 8th placed finish which met board expectations.

ed8e426bba2cdcc0eb2ba155b983beb5.jpg

Then in the close season the Kaizer Chiefs manager retired, sending me into full mercenary mode even though they only finished two places above us, as their finances and infrastructure far exceed those of Stellenbosch, and with the help of my Pacific adventure and cup win they offered me the job. Not content with jumping ship I then raided my former club for their young star Roy-Keane Avontuur (yes that's his real name). I'm settling in for a few years at Kaizer Chiefs probably, planning for it to be my last stop in Africa before tackling another continent. Absolutely chuffed I've landed this job as early as I have, and really wasn't expecting to given I started with no coaching badges or playing experience of course - afraid I didn't get a screenshot of that at the beginning though as I didn't plan to post the save anywhere, but here are my attributes and characteristics in the preseason of 2022 - you can probably tell that they started at rock bottom. I'm now studying for my National B Licence in SA having achieved my C Licence while at Stellenbosch. I'm also now fluent in Afrikaans just from my season at Stellenbosch, and it seems like the primary language in Soweto is Sesotho rather than Afrikaans so I guess I'll be learning that too now. 

I'll may update in this thread season by season from now on, just wanted to make sure I really got my teeth into the save before posting with good intentions but not sticking with it like I often do with challenges. Also I've only now spotted that international management is forbidden in this challenge, so if people would prefer I don't post in here since this isn't really a valid attempt at the challenge that's absolutely understandable.

YEAR     TEAM              LEAGUE                           POS.
2020     New Caledonia     International (OFC)              WR 155>146
2021     New Caledonia     International (OFC)              WR 146>137, Oceania Nations Cup Runners-Up
2021/22  Stellenbosch FC   South African Premier Division   8th, SA Cup Winners

Edited by GylfiAsCharged

• 1 year later...

I was going to give this a challenge until the lower levels of England come out for fm23…. My question is for each section of like country select what is the general amount of countries to load… obviously North America u can only have the 3 but for Europe what’s a good amount of countries to load..