4231 Full backs or Wing backs

With a 4231 playing with AML as an inside forward S and an AMR as an inverted winger support.

What is the best role and duties for the DL and DR.  I understand that wing backs play out wide and act as wingers and full backs so ideally I would go with these, especially as the AML and AMR will be cutting inside, so playing with wing backs will add more width in the attacking 3rd

It is advisable to play this formation with AMR and AML as described above with DL and DR as full backs as FB provide overlapping runs.  Will they still do this with the AML and AMR cutting inside or if I play with DL and DR as fullbacks is it advisable to have AML and AMR as wingers so they can overlap.  My strongest players DL and DR will suit wingbacks but my 2nd back players attributses more suit FB so I trying to establish if I will need to change the roles of my AML . AMR to suit if I get any injuries

Wingbacks will be positioned slightly higher up the pitch and be comparatively more aggressive about making forward runs vs fullbacks. Wingbacks also get locked in dribbling more (not sure if its both support and attack, or just attack duty) where as fullbacks don't. The latter can be useful if you want them to pass more. Both roles can and will overlap. 

The other consideration that comes to mind for which role you opt for, is what the roles and duties of your central midfielders are.

4 hours ago, wazza said:

With a 4231 playing with AML as an inside forward S and an AMR as an inverted winger support.

What is the best role and duties for the DL and DR

Based on the info you provided, my preferred choice(s) would be either both WBs on support or 1 WBsu and the other FBat. Of course, the rest of the setup matters as well. Especially the CM duo. 

One more thing to consider would be your tempo and time wasting settings and how early you want your wide defenders to cross

With the 4-2-3-1 formation I like to play a low tempo possession based style with a relatively high time wasting setting and I want my wide defender to cross early if there is a good opportunity to do so, for this reason I would opt for two fullbacks on support

On 22/11/2020 at 00:00, Experienced Defender said:

Based on the info you provided, my preferred choice(s) would be either both WBs on support or 1 WBsu and the other FBat. Of course, the rest of the setup matters as well. Especially the CM duo. 

This!

With my 4-2-3-1 I have a relatively conservative midfield, aiming to stay deep and be available for recycling the ball - DLP(S) and CM(D) - so I can be more adventurous with the fullbacks. I run a WB(S) on the same side as the playmaker, and a WB(A) on the same side as the CM(D).