Jump to content

FM20: Struggling with a 4-1-4-1 DM Pass and Move style tactic


Recommended Posts

Hi guys!

 

I've been studying my guidetofm and tinkering with Rate my Tactic to come up with this tactic which I thought would work differently than it does.

 

 

tactic2.png.f8aaa0480a2f0a41815dac967510a59a.png

 

I'm struggling to keep ANY possession even against weak sides and it just looks like I'm the underdog most of the time, even though I'm a top top team. I'm not keeping the ball and I don't create chances consistently. I keep winning and drawing games after a lot of micromanagement and with massive help from set pieces though. Some games I steamroll with a 4-0 win, but overall my playing isn't sexy enough! I made this thread after a lucky 1-1 draw against Fulham, who outplayed this tactic from front to back.

 

About the tactic:

I want to play quick short passes to draw opposition closer. Kane is getting old and physically weak, but his technical and mental stats are crazy. I'd want him to come short and be involved with the short passing game and make room for the IF(a) who is a super fast player with good finishing and likes to break offside trap -trait. That doesn't happen though. Kane is barely involved in anything and my IF doesn't get into scoring chances often enough.

Left flank Almada is a beast of a player, I'd like him to be the Hazard/Neymar of this team and I'm currently happy with him as an AP(a). He gets a lot of the ball, dribbles, gives key passes and scores decent amount. I'd like to keep him as is. In fact the whole left side works fine. The AP(a), Mez(s) and CWB(s) plays close to each other and creates beautiful overloads. It's the other side AND central play that is lacking. I keep imagining a beautiful overload on the left with quick short passes and dribbles, with Kane moving there too to offer support drawing the defenders. The IF just isn't attacking that space and Kane is too static.

Also there is little to no penetration from center of pitch. I feel like I need the right sided cm on support for defensive cover so he doesn't really help in attack, even though he has get further forward PI. An attacking CM would be what I want here but it would probably be too hazardous.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the midfield three to free up the right CM, you could either try him as a B2B to see if the added dynamism from that role makes him behave more adventurously. Or you could also anchor the DM by putting him on defend duty so that he always stays half way between the opposing box and to your backline and then put the CM on attack duty.

With what you're hoping to achieve from Kane and the IF, it sounds like a combination of Kane as a F9 and the RW as a Raumdeuter could work, if your main goal is to have the RW drive into the space that is freed up on the right from overloading the left. I personally haven't yet tried to make such a duo work however or really used a Raumdeuter much, so others who are more experienced with those roles could tell you more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Murcon17 said:

In terms of the midfield three to free up the right CM, you could either try him as a B2B to see if the added dynamism from that role makes him behave more adventurously.

With what you're hoping to achieve from Kane and the IF, it sounds like a combination of Kane as a F9 and the RW as a Raumdeuter could work

Thanks! I hadn't really considered  neither the F9 nor BBM. I might give them a try. I sometimes play the right wing as RMD but I don't see much difference. 

I came up with this with Rate My Tactic and got 5* potential. It might be worth trying out! 

Screenshot_20201119_010752.thumb.jpg.286021a9106ca5eb0d6a5a23c4805b1d.jpg

Changes:

DLF(s) to F9, IF(a) to RMD(a), CM(s) to BBM(s) and DM(s) to DM(d). 

I also came up with this which is a lot more attacking and might work against weaker sides. The gap between midfield and defence is a worry though. Those overlapping partnerships are pretty sexy though! 

Screenshot_20201119_010712.thumb.jpg.305635003ff7756182f8eef5409bfc3f.jpg

It has a midfield of Mez(s), CM(a) and HB(d). Might test these out. 

Edited by rtnn
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rtnn said:

I'm struggling to keep ANY possession even against weak sides

If you want to have more possession, then a role such as AP on attack duty is not a good idea, simply because that kind of playmaker looks for fast transitions. The Counter TI in transition is not helpful either. 

Apart from the possession-related issues, CWB as a role is not something I would recommend in your system, because it makes a lot more sense in narrow formations (where there is no other wide player in front of him). On top of that, your left flank is a recipe for defensive disaster, given that you have all 3 attack-minded roles without anyone providing defensive cover (plus the overlap left TI to make it even more risky). And even more so as even your DM is played on support duty, meaning that you don't have a single holding role in the entire midfield. 

Changing the APs' duty into support and mezzala's into attack should help improve the attacking aspect of your tactic at least, but I'm not sure that alone will be enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you want to have more possession, then a role such as AP on attack duty is not a good idea, simply because that kind of playmaker looks for fast transitions. The Counter TI in transition is not helpful either. 

Apart from the possession-related issues, CWB as a role is not something I would recommend in your system, because it makes a lot more sense in narrow formations (where there is no other wide player in front of him). On top of that, your left flank is a recipe for defensive disaster, given that you have all 3 attack-minded roles without anyone providing defensive cover (plus the overlap left TI to make it even more risky). And even more so as even your DM is played on support duty, meaning that you don't have a single holding role in the entire midfield. 

Changing the APs' duty into support and mezzala's into attack should help improve the attacking aspect of your tactic at least, but I'm not sure that alone will be enough. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I do score most of my goals after quick transitions even though I imagine playing a quick tempo possession game. I guess I want both if that makes sense. Fast transition and decisive counter when winning the ball, but if that doesn't work, play the fast possession game and create overloads to draw the defenders out. How would I implement something like this? Maybe WBITB to make them not force the issue after a counter? 

I have tried Ap on support but didn't see much, Ill give it another shot. He is my top goal scorer on attack duty though, I'm afraid I'll lose that aspect of the role. 

The reasoning for the CWB is that I play with slightly narrower TI, the AP tucks in quite heavily and the players best attributes are dribbling, flair and crossing. I know it's a risk but that overload brings me most of my goals. I'll look out if that flank is where the opposition attacks. Would just plain WB be better? I'm also going to try the DM on defend and duty. 

Edited by rtnn
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rtnn said:

I do score most of my goals after quick transitions even though I imagine playing a quick tempo possession game. I guess I want both if that makes sense

You can have high possession stats and play with a faster tempo at the same time, that's how Liverpool play in real life. But that's not a possession style of football. In FM though such a mixture is not always easy to achieve. 

 

8 hours ago, rtnn said:

Would just plain WB be better?

Yes, WB on support duty would be a lot better option, provided you also switch the DM's duty to defend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...