Wallace v Roberts 2009

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - September

Charlton vs Braintree (Carling Cup 2nd round)

A few changes were made to give players a chance and Todd Henderson took his with a fantastic long distant drive from a tight angle. Ban news though as captain Brian Alexander is out for 3-4 weeks. QPR have been drawn in the next round.

Hull vs Braintree

His fitness was a doubt going in to this game, but he grabbed a fantastic goal before going off at half time, bad news is that he will be out for a couple of weeks although with the international break he might not miss a game. Even worse news is that Funes is out for 3-4 weeks and with his backup also out injured we are left a bit short in that position so Darren Gibbons will get a chance. We actually sit two points clear at the top of the table just now, although I'm not sure how relevant that is considering the games we've had.

Liverpool vs Braintree

Our first big test and our first loss. Completely outplayed.

Braintree vs Man City

We battered the reigning champions but couldn't get our shots on target. We hit the post, then had a good goal ruled out. Eventually Bryan 'the man' Munro sealed it. Guzman is out for 3-4 weeks and with Ford also injured White will get his chance.

QPR vs Braintree (Carling Cup 3rd round)

I rotated the team again and rested Munro but the result was a shocker. There were a few moments of madness that cost us in a game we actually dominated, the scoreline was very harsh on us.

League Table

Early days but a great start thanks to a fairly generous set of opening fixtures.

Squad

A few injury worries have meant that I haven't really been able to select the first choice team. Munro is on blinding form, along with Terziev, but McCabe and Marsh have been disappointing.

A bit of unexpected transfer news: even though I wanted to keep him, Jeff Ryan announced that he would leave the club for nothing at the end of his contract. Since he was probably a third choice player I thought I would cash in and sell him in January, I have managed to agree a deal to sell him to Bordeaux, for £7m.

Pity about Braithwaite - I'd have regarded him as streets ahead of his effective replacement Di Giuseppe and a better option than Stasgaard (Stasgaard is potentially even better at DM than the existing positions he covers?) against physically imposing opposition.

Ford looks like serious value for money, even if his start hasn't been spectacular. Just needs the training and experience to give him a bit more physicality

Pity about Braithwaite - I'd have regarded him as streets ahead of his effective replacement Di Giuseppe and a better option than Stasgaard (Stasgaard is potentially even better at DM than the existing positions he covers?) against physically imposing opposition.

Ford looks like serious value for money, even if his start hasn't been spectacular. Just needs the training and experience to give him a bit more physicality

Braithwaite was quite a loss, although under the circumstances I think it was the right thing to do.

I'm pretty gutted about Ford, he was on fire in pre season but just can't score now. If he doesn't score soon I might put him out on loan. In a couple of seasons time he will be awesome.

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - October

Chelsea vs Braintree

A game of two halves, quite literally. They battered us in the first half, we battered them in the second. Shame not to win it after the great comeback.

Braintree vs Tottenham

It was a top of the table clash and a perfect chance for an under pressure captain to shine, he did.

Leeds vs Braintree

Once again, our captain grabs the winner.

QPR vs Braintree

Once again we meet QPR without 'the man' and once again we suffer a bizarre defeat. Steve Ford got his first goal though.

League Table

Clinging on to top spot but it is only a matter of time before someone challenges us, although the teams chasing us are a bit surprising. I'm very happy to still be here after a tough month with three away games.

Squad

Very close to a clean bill of health which will make a change.

Small news, but our youth and training facilities have been upgraded, they are now good and top respectively.

A couple of small transfer stories: Jean-Jacques Keita has agreed to join Hoffenheim for £2m and Frank Ruddick has joined Colchester on loan to gain a bit of first team experience.

Monkeys - January

Before we see how our month went, lets talk about transfers. The only player to leave the club during January was Foti for 3.6M, he was a decent player but he didn't have a long term future at the club and 3.6M seemed like a good deal. Now moving on to players that have been signed. Gomes, an 18 year old Brazilian born versatile winger who I believe Jimbo signed, here is his report as you can see he has the potential to be as good as Snelling, which is only a good sign. Ilpo Salonen is a 17 year old GK signed from Finland, as you can see in his report he has the potential to be better than our current back-up GK, who is a decent PL Goalkeeper. Someone should make a good profit on the 3K I spent to sign him. Finally we have Stevie Samuels a Welsh 19 year old DC/DM/MC who was signed for a mere 220K. In his report it says he has the potential to be as good as Johnny Ek, our best central midfielder, this is only a good sign.

Blyth 1-1 Portsmouth - This was a pretty poor performance despite the point we picked up from it, we had numerous chances to win the game and I was really disappointed we didn't finish the away team off. Still a point is a point.

Blyth 3-0 Sheffield Utd (FA Cup 3rd Round) - As current holders of the FA Cup I hoped we'd at least get past the third round. Snelling, Kvist and Johnny Ek all provided memorable goals to make sure we progressed.

Hull 0-3 Blyth - A potentially tricky away tie here, but thanks to a first half stunner from Snelling, and seceond half goals from Henriksen and substitute Andy Senior we managed to beat Hull quite comfortably.

Arsenal 0-0 Blyth - In a very tricky away tie at the Emirates, a think a point was a fantastic result for us. Especially since Arsenal created numerous chances in the last 10 minutes, all of which I thought were going to go in!

Blyth 0-0 Middlesbrough - This 0-0 draw was disappointing. Not only should we have defeated Middlesbrough, we were at home and not to mention the fact we had so many good chances to finish them off. Poor result.

Blyth 0-1 Liverpool (Fa Cup 4th Round) - Really gutting, Liverpool scored very early on and we just couldn't find a goal for the remaining 90 minutes. A very sad result now means we can only get into Europe via the League.

-

League Table

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - November

Braintree vs Middlesbrough

Another worryingly bad result, although this time we deserved it. Middlesbrough have now replaced us at the top of the table, dropping us to 3rd.

West Ham vs Braintree

A much needed win after the last two results although it wasn't convincing. McCabe had a great game but Bryan 'the man' Munro scored the winner and got injured once again, he'll be out for two weeks and will miss our next match.

Braintree vs Reading

Yet another match at potential title challengers. It was a real shame we couldn't get a winner after coming back but it was a decent enough result.

Wigan vs Braintree

A late goal snatched two points from us in a game we really should have won.

League Table

We've dropped to 4th, mainly due to our lack of goals from players other than Munro.

Squad

Tarek Zitoun has been solid this month but our attacking players have let us down as we struggled for goals.

Jason Ives - Scout Report

Masses of potential and despite his poor jumping attribute should become a great centre back. He cost us £2.5m and may well be loaned out as he won't be good enough for the first team for a while.

PaulH

Foti was never going to make it at senior level so well done on £3.6M

You will note the £ after Gomes' name. That indicates that he was only bought as an investment. If he makes an impact in a few seasons then great, but otherwise a £90k outlay should generate a couple of £M

Salonen however looks shocking. I hope to God we never have to actually play him.

Samuels looks ok, but we need to be improving. Only as good as the players we have had in the past is not going to cut the mustard. We need to sign better players than we have had in the past, not players that will be eventially as good as some of our current decent players.

4 clean sheets in the last month is excellent work though. It's a shame to lose in the FA Cup bt we've nbeen theor seen it got the winners medals so who cares.

Mon Europe via the League;).

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - December

Braintree vs Everton

Strange game. We took the lead, then got hammered, then performed a last gasp comeback. Still a bit disappointed with the draw though.

Man Utd vs Braintree

A great result, things looked bad early on but we came back and controlled the game.

Braintree vs Fulham

A great win, and a goal for Ford.

Sunderland vs Braintree

A great late win in a game that looked destined for a draw. Fabrizio Bertani grabbing the goal in his first start. Bad injury news though as Alexander will be out for 2 weeks and Terziev for 3-4.

Arsenal vs Braintree

Such a great start, such a poor end.

League Table

The Arsenal defeat has really hurt our chances of the title, with Chelsea and possibly Arsenal hunting for the title. A Champions League spot will be an ambitious target but it will be hard work.

Squad

James Marsh has picked up and is starting to play like the player I thought he was, shame our attacking force has gone quiet.

The January transfer window is about to open, so with £14m in the transfer kitty I'm tempted to strengthen.

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - January

Aston Villa vs Braintree

A great win, Oscar Funes grabbed a great goal and played a blinder at AMC.

Stoke vs Braintree

A shocking result, we dominated the game yet they scored with their only shot on goal. Pretty much ends any chance of the title.

Watford (CCC) vs Braintree (FA Cup 3rd round)

The gave us a good game but a mixed team of ours just about got the win. We'll play struggling Championship Leicester in the next round.

Braintree vs Hull

Probably a poor result from a match where we dominated.

Newcastle vs Braintree

A match we really should have been winning.

Braintree vs Leicester (FA Cup 4th round)

A mixed team just about did the job. We've drawn Championship West Brom at home in the next round.

League Table

The title is looking all but impossible now, a Champions League spot is still a possibility though.

Squad

Funes and Marsh are really shining now, Ruddick is also looking good.

Transfers

An unpredictably busy transfer window as Arsenal blew all my plans by making a massive offer for the rock of my midfield which I had only just signed. I had no option, the chairman accepted it. Tarek Zitoun.

Elias Wagner - Coach report

I literally couldn't replace Zitoun but Wagner was a cheap replacement with plenty of potential.

Lee Dennis - Coach Report

We really needed more attacking options and his versatility and potential made him a good target.

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - February

Braintree vs Liverpool

A brilliant and important result. Things were looking bad but Alexander equalised with a superb free kick, then in the dying minutes he tried to do it again. The Keeper spilled it and 'the man' was there to slot home the rebound.

Man City vs Braintree

Very nearly a repeat of the Liverpool game but a decent point won thanks to a goalmouth scramble at a corner with Ruddick poking it in after a series of blocked shots.

Braintree vs WBA (CCC) (FA Cup 5th round)

The team was changed around a bit with players rested and débuts given to Ives and Dennis but 'the man' stole the show once again. We'll play either Everton or Spurs in the 6th round.

Tottenham vs Braintree

An eventful match where poor defending at corners cost us twice, both times all we had to do was clear the ball and both times the ball went straight to a Spurs player who netted.

League Table

A mixed run has dropped us out of the top four and ended our title chances, we are still in contention for a CL place though.

Squad

Frank Ruddick has played well with Zitoun gone and Lee Dennis has made an impressive start.

Bryan 'the man' Munro

He's just superb and scores all kinds of goals. Great in the air and dangerous from crosses and corners, fast and quick running with the ball and also a natural poacher grabbing the rebounds. A real complete striker.

Steve Ford

He's not really been scoring for us yet but just look at his U21's record! If we can get these two playing well together it could give us an awesome strike force.

Munro looks pretty good, but still some way to go IMO to reach his potential. Don't the coaches rate him as having the potential to be a leading EPL striker?

Ford could be a real star in the future :D

Are these 2 your starting strikers? I presume so, looking at their attributes!

Munro is already rated as a leading PL player, although he hasn't quite peaked yet so there is a bit more to come. CA 6* and PA 7*.

Ford is rated as having the potential to be 'a lot better than Bryan Munro's current level of ability' with CA 3* and PA 7*, so he's going to get a lot better.

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - March

Braintree vs Chelsea

A tough match against the runaway league leaders. We played well but they were just too good for us.

Everton vs Braintree (FA Cup 6th round)

Very disappointing to go out of the cup at this stage but they were the better team on the day.

Braintree vs Leeds

A frustrating result against struggling Leeds. We did well to come back from a goal down but just couldn't create enough to find a winner.

League Table

We had two games rearranged at the end of this month which has put us games behind, while it is not ideal the break could be good considering our form. The CL spots are starting to look a step too far now.

Squad

Lee Dennis has carried on his good form and continues to keep Brian Alexander out of the team, however I might bring back Alexander in the hope he can pick the team up after our run of bad form.

We have a hectic fixture schedule next month with seven league games to play, so we should know by the end of that if we are in contention for a European place. It's going to be hard work and we really need to hit form but I think a Europa League spot would be a realistic target as 3rd and 4th places are quite a way ahead now. We face both Reading and Middlesbrough away in our next three games so April really is a crucial month for us.

Monkey's March Update

Blyth 1-1 Man United - Another draw, if we hadn't have drawn so many games recently this would have been a good result because Man United are still a decent side.

Derby 0-0 Blyth - A bore draw that we've seen way too many times this season. I have considered playing more attacking but tbf I'm playing quite attacking at the moment. It is worth noting I didn't rest either of our strikers in this game.

Blyth 3-0 Betis - Finally some goals \o/. They couldn't have come at a better time either, KdV had a fantastic game as did Henriksen. That result meant that we were all but through which allowed me to rest a few players in Spain.

Spurs 3-0 Blyth - A really strange result this, we've been really solid at the back lately and to concede 3 goals was both sad and surprising for me.

Betis 2-1 Blyth - A good result considering we rested a few players, the result also saw substitute Marcial get his first goal for the club.

-

League Table - All we need to do is start to consistently score goals, although this is a bit of a problem as none of the other strikers at the club (Odir, Kev & Martz) seem to be able to score goals, Gallardo keeps moaning and skipping training because he isn't playing (which has lead to me losing patience with him and not playing him at all) whilst Soares is out injured.

EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round Draw - Probably the end of the road for us, but I hope we can give Inter two good games before our first European adventure is over.

Good european run, not bad for our first effort. Was hoping I'd get a crack at europe next season, but it's starting to look unlikely. Unbelievable how many draws we've had there...frustrating, too, when you can't figure out how to turn them into wins. If we'd sneaked even half of those as wins we'd be in a decent position near the top.

The 0-0 draws are what annoy me most, because it's almost as if it's a decent result, we've got loads of clean sheets even with an average keeper which probably shows how good our defence is. It's the scoring that's the problem, we've got two good strikers, then Odir who has the potential to be very good, but then Soares who is more of a winger anyway but he is injured a lot (or has been for me) then a young decent one in Kev, then a young average one in Martz and a moaning sod in Gallardo. Initially looking at our attack it looks very good, but if I was you I'd definitely bring another one in next season. But I wont go into it that much, I can say my opinions on the squad/players in my final update when the season is finished.

Yeah, cool. We definitely need to bring in some quality over the next couple of seasons to push us on a bit and get beyond being a steady mid-table side.

On that note, how busy have the scouts been? If they're not already, if we could get them working in Brazil, Spain and a few other places before the end of the season, they'll hopefully pick out some players who could do us a turn.

Pretty good going, could turn over Inter, stranger things have happened.

I think you could of been a little braver in the transfer department.

True I did think I could have signed a player or two for the 15M or so that we had left, but in the end I thought it best to leave it for Bermy next season (as in theory since we've been in Europe we should have a higher reputation next season, and thus being able to attract better players).

Just about to play last game of March, THIS is all I need :thdn:.

Snap :(

Not quite as bad, but it is at the same point in the season. England U21s seem to be the main problem, although quite why Bryan 'the man' Munro is being called up by the Scotland U21s is beyond me, he's our star player and he's already got 9 full Scotland caps.

Henderson improved any dafuge?

Todd Henderson

For £6k he is a fantastic signing. He's not really been a first team player for me as I quite like Nat Dadson, but I think he possibly has the potential to replace him. He's a great backup player to have and has kept Charlie Haworth out of the team, which he's not too happy about.

Craking stuff daf! Champions League football looks a long shot now, but it looks like you will get us into Europe! Fantastic.

European football is going to be very close, Reading won the Carling Cup which works in our favour but it means if we drop one position we might be praying on a favourable result in the FA Cup final.

Pretty much ruled out CL football next season now unfortunately.

Southern Softies - 2027/28 - April

Braintree vs West Ham

With Munro, Ford, Marsh and Dennis missing we were up against it. Thankfully Lee White took his chance as the main striker with a goal that gives us a priceless victory.

Reading vs Braintree

The first of the crucial matches that could end our CL ambitions. We had a poor start and looked like we were going to get thrashed, 'the man' then stood up and saved us once again thanks to a goalkeeper error for the equalising goal. Makes it unlikely that we can qualify for the CL but not impossible, a win over Middlesbrough would still give us a chance.

Middlesbrough vs Braintree

Absolutely gutted. We started brilliantly, battering them and making their keeper pull off a series of world class saves. Boro then scored just before half time and controlled the game. It was looking like an unlucky 1-0 loss when 'the man' grabbed a late equaliser from a corner, I hadn't finished celebrating by the time they had scored again to win the match.

Braintree vs Wigan

A really horrible result in a strange game. We struggled a bit with ten men but we really shouldn't have lost this match.

Braintree vs QPR

It looked like it was going to be another poor result but unlike the previous games we started playing brilliantly towards the end of the game. 'the man' got us back on track with a brace and then Steve Ford grabbed a much needed goal, ending a 15 hour drought.

Everton vs Braintree

Everton were holding one of the CL spots so this was always going to be a tough game that could have a huge impact on our season. In the end it was a statement where we actually played far better than the stats suggest.

Braintree vs Man Utd

Man Utd were really struggling in the league and it showed. It was amazing they managed to keep it down to two.

Squad

Alastair McCabe finally hit form, perhaps dropping him for a few games did the trick. Terziev also had a good month in what has been a disappointing season for him.

League Table

Four games left and our European future is still in the balance. There's a group of five of us battling it out for Champions League and Europa League places so here's who we are all playing and what it means. The brackets show the team's recent form.

Everton (WDWDL): Middlesbrough (h), West Ham (a), Reading (h), Wigan (a)

Everton currently have the points in the bag and hold the last CL spot, but they face two difficult games in Boro and Reading. A Boro win could do us wonders.

Reading (LXLWL): Leeds (h), Wigan (h), Everton (a), Man Utd (h)

Three easy games and one tough one, it will be hard work to over take them.

Braintree (LXWDW): Fulham (a), Arsenal (h), Aston Villa (a), Sunderland (h)

Three easy games and one tough one, beating Arsenal could give us a chance of catching Reading.

Man City (WXWLW): Sunderland (a), Stoke (h), Hull (a), Newcastle (h)

Four relatively easy games, which could put our 6th spot in danger.

Liverpool (LWWXW): Stoke (a), Hull (h), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (a), Leeds (h)

Four easy games and a game in hand, I wouldn't rule them out of a EL spot just yet.

Here's what I think that means:

Arsenal are the only English club still in the CL, so 4th place should qualify for the CL.

Reading won the Carling Cup, so they are already in the EL, giving an extra spot to the league provided they also qualify for it in the league.

Everton play Arsenal for the FA Cup, so that gives another EL spot to the league, probably 7th.

Qualifying for the CL looks difficult and complicated for us, although a draw between Everton and Reading and a Boro win against Everton could give us a chance.

Qualifying for the EL is looking good, three wins from four I think guarantees it.

It is going to be interesting...

Archived