[FM20] Reserve teams editing and addition

Stobby84

Hi all,

I have just begun using the pre-game editor and in I am really astonished on how much detail is present in FM database..impressive work!

I am trying to add a B team to some low league italian teams and, since I have found no manual, I need some help in understanding the options available:

In the reserve section of the club I see the possibility of adding one or more reserve teams under the section reserve and a section which is called Create New where normally I find U18 U21, etc.. What is the difference between the two? I saw that zebre has the reserve team created in both but I do not understand the reason.

What is the purpose of the flag Not Used on the side of a reserve team?

Is there any difference in declaring a reserve team as reserve, as B team or as team 2 (or 3)?

How staff is assigned to reserve team? I saw that in Zebre none is assigned except the head coach but in the game some of the first team coaches are assigned to it, is there a criterion?

Thanks in advance for your help, really appreciated!

7 hours ago, Stobby84 said:

Hi all,

I have just begun using the pre-game editor and in I am really astonished on how much detail is present in FM database..impressive work!

I am trying to add a B team to some low league italian teams and, since I have found no manual, I need some help in understanding the options available:

In the reserve section of the club I see the possibility of adding one or more reserve teams under the section reserve and a section which is called Create New where normally I find U18 U21, etc.. What is the difference between the two? I saw that zebre has the reserve team created in both but I do not understand the reason.

What is the purpose of the flag Not Used on the side of a reserve team?

Is there any difference in declaring a reserve team as reserve, as B team or as team 2 (or 3)?

How staff is assigned to reserve team? I saw that in Zebre none is assigned except the head coach but in the game some of the first team coaches are assigned to it, is there a criterion?

Thanks in advance for your help, really appreciated!

1. u18, u21 are self-explanatory. Some leagues have u21 teams some u18, some u23 like in england so it mostly depends what type of reserve team you want to create.

2. The game always creates some sort of reserve team if there isn't any. If you know that the team you create does not have reserve team, you tick this option. Of course you can always ask the board for reserve team later (unless you tick NEVER USED, then it's impossible to create reserve team I believe.)

3. Reserve/B/II team/2 team are just different names (due to different names in various leagues, like Bayern II, Jong Ajax, Barcelona B etc.)

4. Some staff could be assigned automatically if there's lack of coaches when the team is created. Usually big teams have specific coaches just for youth or reserve teams, and they are set accordingly in database.

This might help somewhat 

You can sort of split the list of affiliations into 6 sub-types:

1. B/2/II Teams: If you're managing a club these teams will appear in the development centre section of the home screen and you'll be able to take a big interest in their staff and players if you want. The difference between each type is largely cosmetic: B Teams are used in Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Australia, and many other countries; 2 Teams are seen in Finland, Ukraine, and Russia; II Clubs are specific to Germany and Singapore. As far as I can tell the only difference between these types is that B Team affiliations give you the option to have their players train with the main squad, while 2 and II Teams do not. 
  2. C/3 Teams: The same as above except a lower standard of team. Note also that C Teams cannot train with the main team squad; that is only available to B Teams.
  3. Normal Affiliated Club/Feeder Club: These clubs appear in the affiliated clubs section of your club's page but remain separate clubs. The extent to which you can deal with these teams regarding transfers, and the extent to which your clubs are linked depends on the other settings that you check when creating the affiliation (I'll discuss that below).
  4. Sub Team: This affiliation doesn't appear to be used in the game. I've searched for it in the editor and can't see any affiliations of that type. I imagine it functions similarly to a normal affiliated club/feeder club arrangement.
  5. Good Relations: Usually this describes a slightly more distant relationship than a normal affiliated club. Perhaps this is useful where 2 teams mainly collaborate in 1 area. Ultimately the settings here are the same as the ones for a normal affiliated club, feeder club, or sub team so the strength of the links is up to you.
  6. Likely Friendly: Pretty self-explanatory. You can set a % chance that a friendly will happen between the 2 clubs.

When setting up an affiliation, apart from the difference between reserve teams (points 1-2 above) and affiliated teams (3-5), which impact on how the game deals with the affiliation, the most important factors to consider are the affiliation detail settings as they are the settings that deal with transfers between teams, financial support, and other factors. I'll briefly describe the settings below just to make this post a complete guide to the system:

1. Players Move Freely: Mostly used by B/C Teams, ticking this box allows you to move players between your main team and the affiliated team instantly without having to loan them.
  2. Players Go on Loan: Allows the main team to send players on loan to the affiliate.
  3. Uses Same Kit: Self-explanatory really.
  4. First Option to Buy: Gives the main team the chance to match an accepted bid for the affiliate team's player.
  5. Play Friendlies: Mandates a yearly friendly with receipts to be kept by the affiliate.
  6. Same Board: Useful for setting up groups of clubs like CFG and Red Bull.
  7. Financial Help: Again pretty self-explanatory. You can set the yearly amount that the main team has to pay here.
  8. Permanent Deal: The link won't be removed in-game even if it's not being utilised.
  9. Youth Players Training: Only available between teams from separate countries. The affiliate can send players to train with the main team's youth squads. This can also lead to players of the affiliate club's nationality coming through in the main club's youth intakes.
  10. Help with Facilities: The main team will help with the upkeep of the affiliate's facilities.
  11. Marketing Relations: Gives a merchandising boost for the main club in the affiliate club's country. Usually used for big markets in Asia and North America.
  12. Scouting Knowledge Shared: Again pretty self-explanatory.
  13. Cannot Play in Same Division: Usually used to keep B Teams down.
  14. Uses all Parent Club Facilities: Allows the affiliate to make use of the main club's training facilities.
  15. Loan Players from Sub Team: The reverse of point 2 above. This setting allows the main club to loan players from the affiliate.
  16. Uses Sub Team Training: Allows the main team to use the affiliate's training facilities.

There are also a few tickboxes that govern how the main team uses the link:

1. Sends Youth Players to Gain Experience
  2. Link Used to Showcase Reserve Players
  3. Sends First Team Players to Aid Affiliate Club with Promotion
  4. B Team Players Train with Main Club Players (Specific to B Team affiliations only).

3 hours ago, alian62 said:

This might help somewhat 

You can sort of split the list of affiliations into 6 sub-types:

1. B/2/II Teams: If you're managing a club these teams will appear in the development centre section of the home screen and you'll be able to take a big interest in their staff and players if you want. The difference between each type is largely cosmetic: B Teams are used in Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Australia, and many other countries; 2 Teams are seen in Finland, Ukraine, and Russia; II Clubs are specific to Germany and Singapore. As far as I can tell the only difference between these types is that B Team affiliations give you the option to have their players train with the main squad, while 2 and II Teams do not. 
  2. C/3 Teams: The same as above except a lower standard of team. Note also that C Teams cannot train with the main team squad; that is only available to B Teams.
  3. Normal Affiliated Club/Feeder Club: These clubs appear in the affiliated clubs section of your club's page but remain separate clubs. The extent to which you can deal with these teams regarding transfers, and the extent to which your clubs are linked depends on the other settings that you check when creating the affiliation (I'll discuss that below).
  4. Sub Team: This affiliation doesn't appear to be used in the game. I've searched for it in the editor and can't see any affiliations of that type. I imagine it functions similarly to a normal affiliated club/feeder club arrangement.
  5. Good Relations: Usually this describes a slightly more distant relationship than a normal affiliated club. Perhaps this is useful where 2 teams mainly collaborate in 1 area. Ultimately the settings here are the same as the ones for a normal affiliated club, feeder club, or sub team so the strength of the links is up to you.
  6. Likely Friendly: Pretty self-explanatory. You can set a % chance that a friendly will happen between the 2 clubs.

When setting up an affiliation, apart from the difference between reserve teams (points 1-2 above) and affiliated teams (3-5), which impact on how the game deals with the affiliation, the most important factors to consider are the affiliation detail settings as they are the settings that deal with transfers between teams, financial support, and other factors. I'll briefly describe the settings below just to make this post a complete guide to the system:

1. Players Move Freely: Mostly used by B/C Teams, ticking this box allows you to move players between your main team and the affiliated team instantly without having to loan them.
  2. Players Go on Loan: Allows the main team to send players on loan to the affiliate.
  3. Uses Same Kit: Self-explanatory really.
  4. First Option to Buy: Gives the main team the chance to match an accepted bid for the affiliate team's player.
  5. Play Friendlies: Mandates a yearly friendly with receipts to be kept by the affiliate.
  6. Same Board: Useful for setting up groups of clubs like CFG and Red Bull.
  7. Financial Help: Again pretty self-explanatory. You can set the yearly amount that the main team has to pay here.
  8. Permanent Deal: The link won't be removed in-game even if it's not being utilised.
  9. Youth Players Training: Only available between teams from separate countries. The affiliate can send players to train with the main team's youth squads. This can also lead to players of the affiliate club's nationality coming through in the main club's youth intakes.
  10. Help with Facilities: The main team will help with the upkeep of the affiliate's facilities.
  11. Marketing Relations: Gives a merchandising boost for the main club in the affiliate club's country. Usually used for big markets in Asia and North America.
  12. Scouting Knowledge Shared: Again pretty self-explanatory.
  13. Cannot Play in Same Division: Usually used to keep B Teams down.
  14. Uses all Parent Club Facilities: Allows the affiliate to make use of the main club's training facilities.
  15. Loan Players from Sub Team: The reverse of point 2 above. This setting allows the main club to loan players from the affiliate.
  16. Uses Sub Team Training: Allows the main team to use the affiliate's training facilities.

There are also a few tickboxes that govern how the main team uses the link:

1. Sends Youth Players to Gain Experience
  2. Link Used to Showcase Reserve Players
  3. Sends First Team Players to Aid Affiliate Club with Promotion
  4. B Team Players Train with Main Club Players (Specific to B Team affiliations only).

Thank you very much for this insight, it is very interesting.

I looked into Zebre U23 and it looks like that this team is a true "autonomous" club since if it is removed from zebre reserve list it becomes a true club in selectable in the list. 

I haven't looked yet at the details, but does this mean that I can create a new club and then link it as a reserve club of a major club? Is this played with affiliations?

If so this could open an interesting customisation scenario for lower league italian clubs which sometimes have some kind of local affiliated clubs which acts as reserves.

Thank you!

Edited by Stobby84

1 hour ago, Stobby84 said:

Thank you very much for this insight, it is very interesting.

I looked into Zebre U23 and it looks like that this team is a true "autonomous" club since if it is removed from zebre reserve list it becomes a true club in selectable in the list. 

I haven't looked yet at the details, but does this mean that I can create a new club and then link it as a reserve club of a major club? Is this played with affiliations?

If so this could open an interesting customisation scenario for lower league italian clubs which sometimes have some kind of local affiliated clubs which acts as reserves.

Thank you!

Yes you can affiliate it . I use them all the time