FM21: Can't select a club (Am I too stupid or is this a bug?)

Hey folks,

the problem sounds easy, but I spent half an hour trying to find the solution to no avail...

The problem is that I do not get to the screen where I can select a club when creating a manager. I will always be manager of Newcastle (which is set as my favourite club, but also when I change that).
When doing so, I can make the personal setting, then the appearance and then the managerial details and then only confirm - which takes me to Newcastle again...
If I create a second manager, then I am led to the "choose a club" screen, but never for the first one.

So basically, it seems to be preset that my choice of club is Newcastle, but I cannot find where that setting is made or where that setting can be changed.

So please, can anyone give me directions? Or is there no way around it and it's a bug?

Cheers for your support :-)

I think you'll need to put up some screenshots or something of what you get when you start a new career save, because the first page you come to on after selecting 'Start a new game' > 'career' is the game setup page where you pick a club. If you've gone into 'Advanced Setup' then you can change the club at the top of the page.

When you click Start A New Game the first screen is where you can pick a club - you can either pick an option from that screen (and use the menu in the top left to change country/division/national job/unemployed) or you can also click the 'Pick Team Later' option which should be the last option on that screen.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb michaeltmurrayuk:

When you click Start A New Game the first screen is where you can pick a club - you can either pick an option from that screen (and use the menu in the top left to change country/division/national job/unemployed) or you can also click the 'Pick Team Later' option which should be the last option on that screen.

Thank you guys, that was indeed the issue.

Have to say though that I find this super-unintuitive. Why must the first manager choose a club before creating a game when all others do so later, when you get much more information on the teams and where you can browse them? Where's the gain in that???

3 hours ago, jayahr said:

Have to say though that I find this super-unintuitive. Why must the first manager choose a club before creating a game when all others do so later, when you get much more information on the teams and where you can browse them? Where's the gain in that???

Well, selecting a club helps game make recommendations on nations and leagues to include. You do have the option to start unemployed. Until the editor comes out on 11/24 though you won’t be able to pick any team (I don’t think)

4 hours ago, jayahr said:

This isn't true.

When you start the game, just select "Pick Team Later", then you can sort your database and profile out and it will take you to the exact page you're describing:

20201118150121_1.thumb.jpg.af0a13e1e9d61756d406a458f3c1e81b.jpg

This is entirely correct.

When clicking on "Advanced Settings" I was not aware that my choice of club from the previous screen would still remain in place. Mx understanding was that if I go to advanced settings that I will also deal with the choice of my club later, which is obviously not the case.

So problem solved, but I still maintain that I do not like this design and would prefer it to be different.

20 hours ago, jayahr said:

This is entirely correct.

When clicking on "Advanced Settings" I was not aware that my choice of club from the previous screen would still remain in place. Mx understanding was that if I go to advanced settings that I will also deal with the choice of my club later, which is obviously not the case.

So problem solved, but I still maintain that I do not like this design and would prefer it to be different.

Well now you are aware, and it is not a poor design. This is about as non an issue as you can find with FM.

11 hours ago, Ellis_D said:

I had the same thing, Jay. Confused me until I realised it. And it's changed from all previous FMs, too, which was where the confusion comes in.

It's exactly the same as FM20!

56 minutes ago, Mikal said:

Well now you are aware, and it is not a poor design. This is about as non an issue as you can find with FM.

It's exactly the same as FM20!

No it's not. In FM20 you create a new game and THEN pick your club. In FM21 you pick your club and THEN create a new game.

13 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

No it's not. In FM20 you create a new game and THEN pick your club. In FM21 you pick your club and THEN create a new game.

It was exactly the same.

iyluly.png

However, as soon as you have editor files in your FM folder. the game skips this screen.

Edited by Viking
13 minutes ago, Ellis_D said:

As @Vikingabove, it is literally exactly the same process. I've even done a step-by-step for you below:

FM 20

fm20.1.png.27f6be8245e0ef501ab0de278cb61bd2.png

fm20.2.thumb.png.747365217f68a0ee6ff07c6934b1b763.pngfm20.3.thumb.png.abdd54e60e20d2d4332b2c1fb0598398.pngfm20.4.thumb.png.e16687aa66fe9009929966e4ce36fd58.pngfm20.5.thumb.png.9cae130aa28e536a371d165dd0c8d327.png

FM 21

fm21.1.png.18bad350783b3fa19521eb147ba2fdb9.pngfm21.2.thumb.png.bf054626f98efb6b3b8c92d64ed36a45.pngfm21.3.thumb.png.d09bd0c1d9140debc32436274cd6c4e7.pngfm21.4.thumb.png.4dc6cad1ef18bd94e0e52accbbf83512.pngfm21.5.thumb.png.9bf9c780bd8870ae23c7be6cc48ac3f1.png