[FM21] Sunderland 'Til I die

nyg

On 27/01/2021 at 12:51, Brads-Wigan said:

Hi All, I was toying with a Sunderland save, but decided to start unemployed, holidayed for a few months and look what I came across, Sunderland bottom after 16 games, and a job vacancy, so I applied and here I am. I had transfers in first window turned off, so the squad is the same. So my Sunderland save just got a little bit more interesting. 

Having not managed in League 1 since the salary cap,  I noticed Dobson and Matthews arnt registered. So ill have to have a reassess at the first opportunity. 

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 16.58.27.png

What a turn around... made a few decent loan signings, got a few out on loan to reduce the wage bill!! 

But has anyone ever seen a league so close?? 15 teams separated by 9 points! 

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 20.51.23.png

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 21.00.36.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started a Sunderland save today. Spent ages trying to bring in some half decent players. Why didn’t anyone tell me about the wage cap for a squad! I managed to shift McGeady but about £10k a week over. So I’m going to have some upset players!

On 17/11/2020 at 14:21, Sabine said:

Finished my first season with Sunderland and absolutely stormed the league, managing to win 41 times. :D

My best signing has by far been former FM wonderkid/legend back in 15/16 versions; Donis Avdijaj who I managed to sign on a free and got 26 league goals alongside Grigg's 23. I managed to get rid of the high earners so I was able to sign a few players in to get by the salary cap.  

I've played two games in the Championship so far and Niall Ennis for £475k is already looking like the signing of the season :eek:

I know I am late to getting into this game this year.

Picked Ennis up on a free transfer when I got up to the Championship. Scored 52 league goals as Sunderland finished second behind West Brom (totally tanking it in the Premier League but ho hum)

On 03/02/2021 at 06:39, Wyllie505 said:

Just looking to start a save with Sunderland. How did people afford Cummings? His wage demands are far too high!

Wants £8.25k and my max allowable is £5.25k?

How did everyone swing it?!

Maxed out his appearance and goal bonus and upped his signing fee. Got him for £5.25k

On 08/02/2021 at 01:43, njmackem said:

I know I am late to getting into this game this year.

Picked Ennis up on a free transfer when I got up to the Championship. Scored 52 league goals as Sunderland finished second behind West Brom (totally tanking it in the Premier League but ho hum)

Ennis ended up scoring 62 league goals for me in the Championship and 37 in the first Premier League season that we came second in.  He's genuinely incredible. 

I had to end my save due to a game breaking bug, but I might revisit when the transfer window update is released as there'll be no more Danny Graham stinking up the joint. 

Just about to kick off my 1st season on my latest Sunderland save against Blackburn in the Carabao Cup followed by Carlisle in the EFL trophy.

Players that Ive brought in so far are:

Gelhardt (Leeds) - on loan

Laird (Man Utd) - on loan

Harrop (Preston) - 500k

Players out

Gooch (QPR) - 180k (He wanted to go, complained when I rejected the original 125k bid)

Also brought in Kevin Phillips and Lee Cattermole as coaches.

Update

Brought in 2 more loan signings.

Pellestri (Man Utd)

Jack Clarke (Spurs)

Ive got a very exciting forward line now, lots of youngsters with potential. 

Denver Hume is currently in talks with Leganes in Spain about a move there for 110k. Ive got plenty of cover at left back so Ive decided to move him on. 

Star performer for me so far is Harrop, he is proving to be well worth the 500k I spent on him. Gelhardt had a cracking debut in the league too but then had a bit of a shocker in the 2nd league game.

Results so far

Blackburn (A) Carabao Cup - 0-1 defeat, played alright, didnt disgrace ourselves and had plenty of chances but just couldnt convert. Adam Armstrong scored for them in the 22nd minute and that was that.

Carlisle (A) EFL Cup - 2-0 win, fairly routine win. Cant remember scorers off the top of my head.

Bristol Rovers (H) League - 6-2 win, smashed them after going 2 goals down in the first 15 minutes (which was worrying), Gelhardt and Harrop both scored 2, Pellestri got 1 (cant remember who got the 6th)

Oxford (A) League - 1-1, bit of a come down after the last game, went 1-0 down but Harrop popped up with the equaliser fairly late on.

Edited by Mackem742

On 11/02/2021 at 08:05, Mackem742 said:

Just about to kick off my 1st season on my latest Sunderland save against Blackburn in the Carabao Cup followed by Carlisle in the EFL trophy.

Players that Ive brought in so far are:

Gelhardt (Leeds) - on loan

Laird (Man Utd) - on loan

Harrop (Preston) - 500k

Players out

Gooch (QPR) - 180k (He wanted to go, complained when I rejected the original 125k bid)

Also brought in Kevin Phillips and Lee Cattermole as coaches.

Always bring in Phillips as my number 2

Current Sunderland save is not as easy as the last one. Ive got 15 games left in League 1 and im currently 2nd behind Hull. They are ridiculous, Ive never concentrated on other results that much as long as I keep on getting positive results but Im finding myself shout at the screen when it pops up 1-0 to Hull :lol:. They are digging out a lot of 1-0 wins which is annoying. Im 7 points behind them but 9 points ahead of Portsmouth in 3rd. Ive only lost 1 game all season (1-0 away at Ipswich) but Ive had 11 draws which is not good enough. Hull are turning those draws into narrow wins and Im not. Unfortunatly I just have to hope they drop points as Ive already played them twice (both draws surprisingly, 0-0 and 1-1). Still confident Ill get promotion but its not as comfortable as the last time.

I lost the final, 1-0. Hull are rapidly becoming my bogey team in this save, 3 games played against them in this season alone, 2 draws, 1 defeat. Looks like we are both going up though. Hope they struggle and go straight back down :lol:

In other news rival consortiums are now looking at buying the club.

I've started a new save with the lads now we have the winter update.  I'm hoping I can bring back Dobson off loan because in game, he's arguably the best player on the team.  Shame he's rubbish in real life. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Started a new save after the Winter Update and I think I have broken the game already.  :lol: 

I managed to bring in three top quality loanee players and a free transfer whilst getting rid of the high earning, ageing deadwood..  I wanted the weekly expenditure to below £130k/week and have succeeded.. Only spending £120k a week but still second in the spending which is understandable considering I would have to literally gut the team to get under £100k/week. 

The results are, well, I'll just show you this picture: 

spacer.png

We haven't conceded in ELEVEN games in the league and managed some respectable results against bigger sides in cups.

A brief look at the player stats more in depth shows how dominant we are, but we don't have much of a goalscorer because of rotation of my strikers who I like to keep happy.  Ross Stewart and Pellegri rotate the Advanced Forward role whilst N'Lundulu and Wyke rotate as Target Men, just to keep everyone fit with the huge amount of games at the beginning of the season where we have been forced to play 23 games by the end of November!  

Looking absolutely unbeatable at the moment and long may it continue. :D

Edited by Sabine

13 hours ago, Sabine said:

Started a new save after the Winter Update and I think I have broken the game already.  :lol: 

I managed to bring in three top quality loanee players and a free transfer whilst getting rid of the high earning, ageing deadwood..  I wanted the weekly expenditure to below £130k/week and have succeeded.. Only spending £120k a week but still second in the spending which is understandable considering I would have to literally gut the team to get under £100k/week. 

The results are, well, I'll just show you this picture: 

spacer.png

We haven't conceded in ELEVEN games in the league and managed some respectable results against bigger sides in cups.

A brief look at the player stats more in depth shows how dominant we are, but we don't have much of a goalscorer because of rotation of my strikers who I like to keep happy.  Ross Stewart and Pellegri rotate the Advanced Forward role whilst N'Lundulu and Wyke rotate as Target Men, just to keep everyone fit with the huge amount of games at the beginning of the season where we have been forced to play 23 games by the end of November!  

Looking absolutely unbeatable at the moment and long may it continue. :D

Fantastic effort, Ive just started a new save on the winter update. Only played a few games so far.

CC Huddersfield (H) - Lost 1-0

PJT Carlisle (A) - Won 3-1

L1 Bristol Rovers - Won 2-0

I really want a good striker though so I will have a look at Pellegri, I know he has been popular on recent years games but I havent looked at him on this years game. 

Disclaimer - On my game I boosted finances from 500k to 900k because of the recent takeover in real life. I could have added millions into the pot but wanted to keep it semi realistic for the level we are at.

3 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

Fantastic effort, Ive just started a new save on the winter update. Only played a few games so far.

CC Huddersfield (H) - Lost 1-0

PJT Carlisle (A) - Won 3-1

L1 Bristol Rovers - Won 2-0

I really want a good striker though so I will have a look at Pellegri, I know he has been popular on recent years games but I havent looked at him on this years game. 

Disclaimer - On my game I boosted finances from 500k to 900k because of the recent takeover in real life. I could have added millions into the pot but wanted to keep it semi realistic for the level we are at.

In my experience Pellegri isn't much of a goalscorer but is great in a support role and gets tonnes of assists and creates loads of chances.

Have a look in the loan market when you're in League One though, there won't be many strikers you can buy who will be good enough to make the jump up the Championship.  I've seen Aaron Connolly on the loan list at the beginning but already had my five loans for the squad.

That's fair enough, I wish they implemented the takeover but I understand that there was a cut-off date for the update.  You'll soon be able to sell two clauses for Logan Pyre and Hugill. 

35 minutes ago, Sabine said:

In my experience Pellegri isn't much of a goalscorer but is great in a support role and gets tonnes of assists and creates loads of chances.

Have a look in the loan market when you're in League One though, there won't be many strikers you can buy who will be good enough to make the jump up the Championship.  I've seen Aaron Connolly on the loan list at the beginning but already had my five loans for the squad.

That's fair enough, I wish they implemented the takeover but I understand that there was a cut-off date for the update.  You'll soon be able to sell two clauses for Logan Pyre and Hugill. 

Pellegri turned me down so I signed Eisa from Peterborough and Gelhardt on loan from Leeds.

Sunderland AFC season 1 summer transfer update

Transfers in and out

20210310190929_1.jpg.7c0a983ced2ee5ce4772c61f25e95726.jpg

Very happy with the transfer business done. Ive strengthened the entire squad and cleared out the players who didnt want to be here.

Fixtures so far

20210310191030_1.jpg.87c615a31e2449a5326bbd07c31560ff.jpg

Happy with the start, the only blip being the Carabao Cup defeat to Huddersfield but its a competition I wasnt expected to compete in and it was just an added distraction to the main goal of promotion,

League table so far

20210310191437_1.jpg.308ef10917359a6bcc5f0a8eba0ed5c8.jpg

Good start, transfer window is now over and Im happy with the squad. Main rivals and favorites for the league Hull are already 5 points behind so im fairly confident.

After Winter Trasfer Window, 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for Sunderland? or 4-4-1-1 have the most equilibrium?

Can I have some helps for tactic?

Edited by Mik_Fe

On 10/03/2021 at 19:33, Mackem742 said:

Sunderland AFC season 1 summer transfer update

Transfers in and out

20210310190929_1.jpg.7c0a983ced2ee5ce4772c61f25e95726.jpg

Very happy with the transfer business done. Ive strengthened the entire squad and cleared out the players who didnt want to be here.

Fixtures so far

20210310191030_1.jpg.87c615a31e2449a5326bbd07c31560ff.jpg

Happy with the start, the only blip being the Carabao Cup defeat to Huddersfield but its a competition I wasnt expected to compete in and it was just an added distraction to the main goal of promotion,

League table so far

20210310191437_1.jpg.308ef10917359a6bcc5f0a8eba0ed5c8.jpg

Good start, transfer window is now over and Im happy with the squad. Main rivals and favorites for the league Hull are already 5 points behind so im fairly confident.

that's a tremendous transfer window!  I never really understood the rules but is it 5 loan players in the matchday squad or overall? 

On 11/03/2021 at 15:03, Mik_Fe said:

After Winter Trasfer Window, 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for Sunderland? or 4-4-1-1 have the most equilibrium?

Can I have some helps for tactic?

32d2a8c9ab47a56f362d90288a0ff1c6.png

This is how I line up if you want any inspiration. :)  But I always go for 4-4-2 of any variation regardless of save. 

Wow... but i don’t have Pellegri and Cecchini😂

i think that the 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for Safc in the first season..

in the winter transfer window i search one left full back and one GK..

but i don’t like Stewart and Wyke..

i take on loan Balogun from Arsenal for the attack.. is not much speed this formation.. i like more speed, more technic, more vision, more team work.. this squad don’t have this skills..

so.. i need help to make a tactic with this guys.. in the first season..

On 10/02/2021 at 20:33, Sabine said:

Ennis ended up scoring 62 league goals for me in the Championship and 37 in the first Premier League season that we came second in.  He's genuinely incredible. 

I had to end my save due to a game breaking bug, but I might revisit when the transfer window update is released as there'll be no more Danny Graham stinking up the joint. 

You say game breaking bug but Nail Ennis scoring 62 league goals is normal in championship and 32 in prem. League one striker,don't you find that a bug? Or is it just me that thinks thays not right.

1 minute ago, Andy1979 said:

You say game breaking bug but Nail Ennis scoring 62 league goals is normal in championship and 32 in prem. League one striker,don't you find that a bug? Or is it just me that thinks thays not right.

The bug was not being registered in the Europa League despite winning the FA Cup.  Ruined everything after that.

On 12/03/2021 at 22:01, Sabine said:

that's a tremendous transfer window!  I never really understood the rules but is it 5 loan players in the matchday squad or overall? 

Yeah just 5 in the matchday squad and I always had to leave someone out. Ive lost a few of the loanees as I wasnt playing them in the agreed position. Woodburn, Elanga and Dewhirst have gone back to their respective clubs. Ive brought in Lumley from QPR as a starting keeper as Burge was doing far too many mistakes. Im currently about 5 points clear of 2nd and 8 clear of 3rd going into March. Got the papa Johns Trophy final against Peterborough coming up as well as a tough game away at Portsmouth, win that and ill be confident of going up. Although still have Blackpool, Lincoln and Hull to play and they are all buzzing around the automatic and play off spots.

I tried to bring in Pellegri on loan in the summer and in January but he refused both times. Signing of the season so far has been Ekici on a free transfer, he creates as well as weighs in with a few goals. My strikers have mostly misfired all season, they occasionally go through a bit of a purple patch but I think my top score is Kaikai with about 12 goals and I havent been playing him up front. Eisa has been a disappointment, Gelhardt goes through good and then terrible spells so if I get promotion a striker is my number 1 priority.

Edited by Mackem742

Hey,

First time posting about a save to the forums but pretty proud of this one so thought I would give it a shot!

I haven't played much FM since 2015. I came back last year (found myself with alot of time on my hands) but I found 2020 pretty much unplayable. Really enjoying the game this year though.

Currently in my third season. Had two back to back promotions, winning the league both seasons with over 100 points. I actually won the the Championship a lot more convincingly than League One with almost the same squad. I'm currently hovering around the european places in my first season in the Premiership.

I have a few players still with me from League 1: Dobson, Hume and Gooch although the later two are struggling at the top level for me and are now back ups.

First season I brought Adam Idah in on loan from Norwich and I have managed to renew the loan every season. He's been an absolute monster destroying the Championship with 40+ goals and has already bagged 16 in the prem going into Febuary. In the Championship I brought in Hannibal from Man Utd who is unbelievable playing behind Idah as a trequartista - an assist machine. Like Idah I managed to renew for the Premiership and he is having another great season. These signings have been a huge part of our success which worrying as it's very unlikley I'll be able to renew either next season and I think I will find it hard to replace their quality (especially Hannibal). Hoping Norwich will get relegated this season and I will manage to bring Idah in permanently for a reasonably fee but  i have no chance with Hannibal who I'm expecing will go straight into Man Utd's first team squad and even challenge for a starting role. I'm hoping the pair will fire me into Europe and I'll be able to invest the money we earn into quality replacements. Eyeing up Brewster who is currenly in the Championship with Sheff Utd if I can't get Idah in. I may decide to revert to a flat 442 like I played in League One if I can't replace Hannibal and bring in a deep lying forward as I think signing a player capable of playing the trequartisa role at the top level will be difficult with my budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm keeping an eye on Angel Gomes but I'm not convinced due to his poor physicals.

Other notable signings have been: Alex Smithies, Ro-Shaun Williams, Jack Simpson, Ben Johnson, Cameron Brannagan, Ivan Sunjic, Keane Lewis-Potter, Rolando Aarons, Ovie Ejaria & Danny Welbeck.

All with the exception of Ejaria have been big successes. He was a bit of a panic buy due my innability to find a decent back up to Hannibal and Aarons should either get injured. He's not been shocking and hasn't really had a decent run in the team to prove himself so I'm hoping he will at least become a useful squad player. His pace and dribbling ability should make him a good option from the bench when chasing a game. I was really unsure about bringing Welbeck in but he has actually been a brilliant back up for Idah. When I signed him on a free for my season in the championship Rolando Aarons was a big gamble due to relatively high wage demands and worrying injury record but he was brilliant and probably my most effective attacking player after Idah and Hannibal. He is struggling a bit in the Premiership due to his poor injury record coming back to haunt him but has just recently started to contribute again with goals and assists.

I've also had Ethan Gabraith with me on loan for all 3 season but he has fallen down the pecking order since Brannagan was signed in January 2022. He hasn't really set the world alight but was one of the better passers of the ball in my squad and has been a dependable 6-7 out of 10 playing as a deep-lying playmaker. I've recently abandoned that role though and his lack of physicality makes us too vunerable defensively at the top level so I dont think I will look to sign him either on loan again or permanently. I also had Anothy Elanga for the first two seasons. He was fantastic in League One scoring 13 goals from left wing but he struggled in the Championship and mostly served as a back up to Aarons. He wasn't ready to contribute in the Premiership so I didn't look to renew his loan but I'm keeping an eye on his progress and may try to nd bring him in permanently at some point. He just came back from an uneventful loan spell in the MLS though and his development seems to have stalled. Utd won't even consider selling at the moment but I'm hoping I can get my hands on him before his potential goes to waste.

I'm hoping to push on and establish the team in the Premiership while developing a thriving youth system. A long term goal would be to get Hannibal in permanently and build the club around him. Ability aside (I think he could be the best player in the world on this save) he has brilliant mental attributes and a 'perfectionist' personality and so he could help bring on the young players I hope to develop through the clubs academy.

Will keep posting updates if anyone is interested!

Cheers.

Edited by therealquiz

22 hours ago, McClane29 said:

Are there any noticeable differences in Sunderland's finances since the 21.4 update?

This is what they are working with upon starting a new save... 

sOj05Fi.png

But given that all the debt is now gone, they will gather wealth fairly easy once they get out of the league I would assume.

The new chairman is also listed as a:

Spoiler

Back end sugar daddy 

Which will help tremendously in the fight for promotion to the premier league.

Promotion has been secured with 3 games to spare. Happy with how the season has gone in general. I suffered some really strange results but I guess they happen in real life. I picked up some really great results towards the back end of the season where I played Wigan, Blackpool and Hull away in a week. Blackpool were second and Hull 3rd at the time. I managed to win 3-0 at Wigan, 2-0 at Blackpool and then a crazy 3-3 at Hull which pretty much secured promotion which I gained in my next game at home to Accrington.

20210317184347_1.jpg.876e0859c693dfee1aea4ffb628475f9.jpg

20210317191012_1.jpg.60a206db5d09bc1b4f27d6c45bd36480.jpg

Here are a few of my most important players of the season. Standout players were Halilovic (I kind of remember this lad being a bit of a wonderkid on previous FM's but noticed he was at Birmingham and they were willing to let him go). Gelhardt has currently got over 20 goals. And the others all stood out in their own way.

20210317191107_1.jpg.2dbf91c7214ea1270ddba767b9d77e67.jpg

20210317191228_1.jpg.8ca1aac6c3c08918311cbcb2ada346f6.jpg

20210317191121_1.jpg.96e18966b73a81548bd8251517a76143.jpg

20210317191132_1.jpg.9d96fd7128d34eeffc3dab63b4debe0b.jpg

20210317191213_1.jpg.992fc1247d8f6c1def5e9bcd13b2383e.jpg

20210317191251_1.jpg.c6c7672a71e0690b134bc0d5f99508d5.jpg

This guy was also my highest rated player from my youth intake. Needs a lot of work but Ill see how he goes.

20210317162348_1.jpg.32411e29c78f5ed65b044a9e10ef438e.jpg

20210317191204_1.jpg

Edited by Mackem742

• 1 month later...

Well I havent updated for a while but Im coming to the end of my 1st season with Sunderland in the Premier League. Im 14th at the minute, 10 points clear of 18th with 7 games left so Im hopeful Im going to survive which was my main aim this season. The squad needs quite a rebuild as the signings I made were just to get me through this season. I kept the majority of players that got me promoted around the squad but they have been disappointing. Ive had 2 spells throughout the season where Ive been on terrible runs, 5 or 6 games without a win etc. But Ive just won 2 out of my last 3. 

A massive 1-0 win at home to Burnley who were 18th while I was 17th.

I then lost 4-1 at Watford despite taking the lead and absolutely battering them, my attacking players let me down badly, if they could finish I would have been out of sight by half time. Watford equalised mid way through the first half and then my defence collapsed. My attackers were still creating chances, we just couldnt score.

After that game I wasnt holding out much hope as I went away to Leeds who were 11th. My forwards seemed to find their scoring boots and I raced into a 2-0 lead within 20 minutes. They pulled one back before half time but I was still confident but that confidence was short lived as they equalised late in the 2nd half. Only for Pellegri to be played through in injury time and he slotted home to give us a 3-2 win. 

Hopefully those 2 wins late on in the season has given us enough to stay up. Im planning on a rebuild, scouting missions are already ongoing for next season. Also planning on revamping the backroom staff. I need to increase the clubs world knowledge so ill be targeting South American, Eastern European and African scouts.

Its been quite a miserable season to be honest but Im sticking with it, the one bright spot was a 4-0 win at home to Newcastle. The only downside to that is that it seemed to kick start there season and they have gone on an incredible run to move from lower mid table up to 6th!

Despite how hard this season has been Im enjoying the save, its keeping me distracted from how Sunderland are bottling it in real life!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone thinking of starting a Sunderland save again? They announced their retained squad list yesterday and have let a lot of players go. Im tempted to replicate that in game and see how much of a rebuild I can do.

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking of it, what's the influence of new owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfuss with the latest data update? Is he pumping some money?

What about real life for those of you actively following the club ? Is he putting the club back on track?

Edited by bianconeri96

On 17/03/2021 at 20:27, Mackem742 said:

Promotion has been secured with 3 games to spare. Happy with how the season has gone in general. I suffered some really strange results but I guess they happen in real life. I picked up some really great results towards the back end of the season where I played Wigan, Blackpool and Hull away in a week. Blackpool were second and Hull 3rd at the time. I managed to win 3-0 at Wigan, 2-0 at Blackpool and then a crazy 3-3 at Hull which pretty much secured promotion which I gained in my next game at home to Accrington.

20210317184347_1.jpg.876e0859c693dfee1aea4ffb628475f9.jpg

20210317191012_1.jpg.60a206db5d09bc1b4f27d6c45bd36480.jpg

Here are a few of my most important players of the season. Standout players were Halilovic (I kind of remember this lad being a bit of a wonderkid on previous FM's but noticed he was at Birmingham and they were willing to let him go). Gelhardt has currently got over 20 goals. And the others all stood out in their own way.

20210317191107_1.jpg.2dbf91c7214ea1270ddba767b9d77e67.jpg

20210317191228_1.jpg.8ca1aac6c3c08918311cbcb2ada346f6.jpg

20210317191121_1.jpg.96e18966b73a81548bd8251517a76143.jpg

20210317191132_1.jpg.9d96fd7128d34eeffc3dab63b4debe0b.jpg

20210317191213_1.jpg.992fc1247d8f6c1def5e9bcd13b2383e.jpg

20210317191251_1.jpg.c6c7672a71e0690b134bc0d5f99508d5.jpg

This guy was also my highest rated player from my youth intake. Needs a lot of work but Ill see how he goes.

20210317162348_1.jpg.32411e29c78f5ed65b044a9e10ef438e.jpg

20210317191204_1.jpg

Do you have to have Turkish players loaded for Ekici to be in the save? 'Cause I can't find him... 

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought FM21. After not playing a new version of the game since Championship Manager 01/02 (yes that is correct, I am a bit geeky). I am a Sunderland fan IRL. Started an SAFC save. Want to make it quite realistic. Not just sign the best staff, plug in a good tactics, sign some great players and eventually win everything. Specific realism limitations I set for myself include:

Keeping all original staff

Don’t search for players and staff to sign (only consider signing players that pop op on regional scout reports, scout staff meetings etc. and only if scouts rate them).

Delegate most stuff to staff, including some of the below

Ass man picks the team

Only tactics recommended by ass man

Ass man or other staff handles everything during the match

Staff handle training

No mentoring except the rare group put together by Ass man

Haven’t done much so far. Only played a few days in game, am at August 1st 2020. So much to do at the start of the save even if most is delegated. At least when I am new to the game. Setting things up, deciding how I want to go along.

I have been extending a lot of contracts, trying to offload a lot of players.

The most significant events so far:

Haven’t signed any players yet. Don’t have any offers on the table either.

No good value transfer targets have popped up yet, at least none that are sufficiently scouted or judged via trials at the moment.

Aiden McGeady will most likely switch to some MLS team for 175k (negotiating personal terms).

Grant Leadbitter will most likely switch to Pothsmouth for 12k (negotiating personal terms).

Sold a few useless youngsters.

Trying to get rid off a lot of bad youngsters.

Accidently spent 3 x 12k by “mutually terminating” some contracts. I thought mutual termination meant no compensation. Found out I was wrong.

I enjoy to be playing the game again. Love it so far. In general the game is too complex and too easy for my taste. But a good subjective solution the delegate a lot to the staff and have realism restrictions as mentioned. Although I might have taken the restrictions too far and could get sacked, we shall see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Im going to start a new Sunderland save over the next day or so. I watched Omega Lukes Sunderland rebuild video on Youtube and its inspired me to start again. Obviously with the start we have had in real life and a tremendous result last night has helped with my motivation. I must have started a Sunderland save at least 4 times on this years game and Ive struggled quite a lot with every single one but hopefully this one will be the one that I can continue until FM22.

• 2 years later...

What can be the reason for my Sunderland underperforming heavily during a first season in charge (finished 4th)? Use 4-1-2-2-1 (Wide) with targetman, have good support and atmoshere.

Have an experience with Liverpool in FM 21 (winning "Best manager of all time" award by 2028).

4 hours ago, Vladson said:

What can be the reason for my Sunderland underperforming heavily during a first season in charge (finished 4th)? Use 4-1-2-2-1 (Wide) with targetman, have good support and atmoshere.

Have an experience with Liverpool in FM 21 (winning "Best manager of all time" award by 2028).

What style of tactics? Route One?

I don't know much about tactics, it doesn't interest me. However, the preset Gegenpress 4-3-3 DM wide works very well in FM23 - IF you rotate enough. Always keep everybody fresh, most of the time only start the same player once a weak.

And IF you use all your five subs relatively early, at the 70th-ish minute at the latest, probably best at the 60th minute. Again, to keep many players fresh, prevent fatigue etc.

7 часов назад, danej сказал:

I don't know much about tactics, it doesn't interest me. However, the preset Gegenpress 4-3-3 DM wide works very well in FM23 - IF you rotate enough. Always keep everybody fresh, most of the time only start the same player once a weak.

And IF you use all your five subs relatively early, at the 70th-ish minute at the latest, probably best at the 60th minute. Again, to keep many players fresh, prevent fatigue etc.

No, I play them in FM 21. I thought the topic is about FM 21 Sunderland.

By the way i also use 1 player a week. Nevertheless I mentioned that fatigue is more severe in League 1 England than in Premier League? Does it have something with players stamina lower in average than in Premier League?

1 час назад, danej сказал:

If you rotate enough, fatigue is not a problem, regardless of the number of matches per season.

Gegenpress is even more brilliant in older versions like FM21

But what is the reason for fatigue to be more of a problem in league 1 than in premier league?

17 hours ago, Vladson said:

But what is the reason for fatigue to be more of a problem in league 1 than in premier league?

If there is a difference, it must be because of more matches per season, so less rest days between each match on average. 38 league matches in the Premier League, 46 in the leagues below, including League One. Plus, League One is the worst when it comes to this. Teams there also compete in the Papa John's Trophy, and they can potentially go semi-far in the FA Cup and the League Cup. So a League One team can easily play, say, 55 important matches per season.

On a further note, in such leagues as League One, I always have at least 20 outfield players in my senior squad (and two keepers). And besides those 20+ players, I regularly use youth players, in case of fatigue, low match sharpness, injuries, suspensions etc.

Resting your best players, rotating heavily, using bad players, is much better in the medium to long term. Non-fatigued players just perform much better. Not least in the Gegenpress tactics which depends heavily on fresh players who can run a lot during the match.

Edited by danej

7 часов назад, danej сказал:

If there is a difference, it must be because of more matches per season, so less rest days between each match on average. 38 league matches in the Premier League, 46 in the leagues below, including League One. Plus, League One is the worst when it comes to this. Teams there also compete in the Papa John's Trophy, and they can potentially go semi-far in the FA Cup and the League Cup. So a League One team can easily play, say, 55 important matches per season.

On a further note, in such leagues as League One, I always have at least 20 outfield players in my senior squad (and two keepers). And besides those 20+ players, I regularly use youth players, in case of fatigue, low match sharpness, injuries, suspensions etc.

Resting your best players, rotating heavily, using bad players, is much better in the medium to long term. Non-fatigued players just perform much better. Not least in the Gegenpress tactics which depends heavily on fresh players who can run a lot during the match.

EPL teams have Champions league etc... it seems the fatigue is more. don`t know why.

В 12.10.2023 в 15:21, danej сказал:

Intersting, i have user tactic with possesion footbal focus (4-3-3 wide), but home page says my tactical style is route one.

7 hours ago, Vladson said:

EPL teams have Champions league etc... it seems the fatigue is more. don`t know why.

No, because they only play 38 league games in the Premier League. 46 league matches in the leagues below. Besides, most PL teams don't play in Europe. Besides, PL teams don't play in extra cups such as the Papa John's Trophy.