Op Instructions: marking vs. pressing

Hey guys. In recent years ive felt a little stalled in the game so i have increased the amount of responsability i take as a virtual manager. One of those things is setting by myself the opposition instructions. Something that it´s almost a must do when yo manage in lower leagues where the assman doesn´t set any instructions because "he doesn´t feel tactically comfortable" or whatever it says. So i started by studying the op report with the expected formation and the roles the players will have and begin a journey of trial and error based on logical reasonings like thight marking for target man, forcing weak foot for wingers, etc. But in last years edition i felt a bit frustrating doing this because of the way your players obeyed your instructions and mainly the absolute disaster of aerial duels (1,7m wingers beating their duel against defenders with much better physical+heading attributes but far worse in overall).

Anyways, in this year´s beta i feel that players follow a lot better your instructions so I´m back on setting the instructions but the trial and error always leave me to subjective conclusions based on the result of the game (which it´s a good process but its noisy). So i want to know which are your general procedures in setting the op instructions. Do you focus your pressing on their best players to not let them intervene in the game? Do you set the pressure on their worst players to force more mistakes which you can take advantage of? Is it better pressing or marking?

My general procedure also depends of the lines. Strikers: close marking for very offensive players which don´t intervene in the game a lot like poachers or AF. Don´t do it for strikers who drop deep to not fall on their trap. Setting more pressing on AF, CF and PF. And strong tackles on creative roles. For AMC always close marking as they can be pretty dangerous if you leave them space to make a through ball.

Wide players: Close marking for Inside Forwards and more pressure on bad wingers. For top quality ones, just force weaker foot.

Midfield: i always search for their best creative player and set the instruction depending on quality. If he´s a mezzala or an AP, more pressing and strong tackles. For DLP close marking as theyre the main hub of passing and letting them receive the ball comfortably always ends in you struggling to have better % of possesion. Dont press them because they are technically able to bypass the pressure. Stronger tackles until their marker has yellow card.

Full backs: only press them if they have attacking duties.

That´s generally my main strategy but as always it changes through the game. Overall this year I´m finding this steps very succesfull as I´m wining without conceding barely any chances, but there´s always the feeling that you could do way better and things like this are not making you better, rather stopping you. Let me know what´s your strategy and if you have at hand interesting articles, videos or guides.

Edited by Experienced Defender

This year i tend to use OI's they are very effective. There are logical things like press always to player whose composure is low. Hard tackling to low bravery players. Force weak foot if they have lower than reasonable weak foot.There is also more advanced ones like if they are building from the back man mark the BPD or more technical cb so poor one tries to build. If you're forcing the opponent  outside, mark all the central players and heavy pressure on fb's and wingers. For very pacey players you do nothing but pray :D

hace 3 horas, Egecann dijo:

This year i tend to use OI's they are very effective. There are logical things like press always to player whose composure is low. Hard tackling to low bravery players. Force weak foot if they have lower than reasonable weak foot.There is also more advanced ones like if they are building from the back man mark the BPD or more technical cb so poor one tries to build. If you're forcing the opponent  outside, mark all the central players and heavy pressure on fb's and wingers. For very pacey players you do nothing but pray :D

This is why i wanted to create this topic. Great insight you gave me there, never thought of pressing players with low composure.