Matchday UI and age - a poll

Matchday UI and Age  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What it says on the tin...

• I'm over 30 and I like the new matchday UI
    • I'm under 30 and I like the new matchday UI
    • I'm over 30 and I don't like the new matchday UI
    • I'm under 30 and I don't like the new matchday UI

Thought I'd start a poll about this. The matchday UI seems to be the most widely criticised part of the beta this year. I had made a point a few days ago of how I felt the changes were being geared to a younger audience, but this may not be the case. 

Basically just want to know a combination of under/over 30 and whether you like the new matchday UI or not. 

Please note, any actual feedback about it should be kept to the feedback thread. 

People dont like change in general . also you have to remember its a BETA not the full game so things will be missing etc etc . So Beta just gives you the feel of the game . I like the new Match A1 and people will get use to it im sure 

even if it gets changed back, then it'll only be forcibly implemented again with FM22

we had a similar argument when 3D was originally implemented, but that's here now and we all accept it
everyone's adverse to change though, but I kinda like the new UI (although not plundering serious hours since FM16 has kinda faded my memory a bit)

Edited by samdiatmh

Like XaW maybe has said if I read him right when he says "the change" it is a little more complex than the question delineates.

Many people will be complaining about not being able to investigate many stats during a presently game.  Is this "the change"? I am OK with this change. If SI say it is more realistic that the manager looks at pitch during game, and only data analyst-level detail after game, I cannot disagree.

My complaint is not with this switch.

My complain is with nearly every other element of matchday UI, as set out across many posts now. The presentation is just so very inoptimal. Thin column here, open blank space there, wide gap here, crushed graph there, messy box here, scrollbar there, massive gap here. Before you begin on scorer face, assist maker, team name condensing, disallowed goal X, no kits or badgs, etc.

18 minutes ago, Christmas said:

Like XaW maybe has said if I read him right when he says "the change" it is a little more complex than the question delineates.

Many people will be complaining about not being able to investigate many stats during a presently game.  Is this "the change"? I am OK with this change. If SI say it is more realistic that the manager looks at pitch during game, and only data analyst-level detail after game, I cannot disagree.

My complaint is not with this switch.

My complain is with nearly every other element of matchday UI, as set out across many posts now. The presentation is just so very inoptimal. Thin column here, open blank space there, wide gap here, crushed graph there, messy box here, scrollbar there, massive gap here. Before you begin on scorer face, assist maker, team name condensing, disallowed goal X, no kits or badgs, etc.

Well, yes and no. I like the overall UI change. I think it feels better and looks better. That said, there are some kinks I would see changed. Like a better small injury indicator, some resize options, customisation of the left hand column, just to name a few.

As for the ones you mentioned, I do would like it to be possible to manipulate it more as a user, so resizing and customisation of the whole screen.  I'd like to get the name of the guy who made the assists, that would be nice. Don't really mind kit, badges, or faces, but I'm not really someone who is bothered by graphics much.

So I think this was a good change, but it still needs a bit of tweaking to be optimal.

I also base this in the philosophy SI have around it though. For my own sake, I'd like the time bar and to be able to rewind and see things, but I can see the argument of SI and I don't have any complaints there. I do think we should be able to do it AFTER the game though...

8 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Thought I'd start a poll about this. The matchday UI seems to be the most widely criticised part of the beta this year. I had made a point a few days ago of how I felt the changes were being geared to a younger audience, but this may not be the case. 

Basically just want to know a combination of under/over 30 and whether you like the new matchday UI or not. 

Please note, any actual feedback about it should be kept to the feedback thread. 

I think this forum is, in the majority, over 30. The younguns will all say "forums, f that. Discord is where it's at, dude".

Yeah, I'm a natural with this youngun speak. :hammer:

As I suspected, it seems to be a mixed response. In short, I think we fans have been spoilt by what FM has given us over the years. The steady source of widgets and stats have been drip fed to us for a number of editions of FM. I've seen the response on YT to the phasing out of player search to updated scouting tools.

FM is attempting to be more realistic and to make the game more like being a real manager. Because players are used to what they have had before it will be hard to get used to a new way. 

I believe someone had it right the other day when they said that there have been many ideas throughout the years of FM that have been phased out or altered drastically. For each one of those there has been criticism, but slowly people adapt and they find ways to like the changes.

I am sure this will be another case of that. 

How many people say "bring back the sliders" these days?

Edited by anagain

2 minutes ago, anagain said:

I believe someone had it right the other day when they said that there have been many ideas throughout the years of FM that have been phased out or altered drastically. For each one of those there has been criticism, but slowly people adapt and they find ways to like the changes.

Well, do they have any other choice? Like say "FM is dead to me, now I'll only be playing that other popular football managing game"?

6 minutes ago, Karnack said:

I much prefer this and I'm above 30. I've always wanted less information and I see no problem with "emojis" or icons as someone around my age might remember them as. 

This is an argument I never understand. If you want less information, don't have any widgets up. It's the lack of choice that annoys me. Give us the option to have what information we want.

Edited by Tiger666

2 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

This is an argument I never understand. If you want less information, don't have any widgets up. It's the lack of choice that annoys me. Give us the option to have what information we want.

There are a lot of arguments I don't understand here so that makes two of us! 

12 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I think I don't mind it as I've never used any widgets etc during a match. I'm old school watch the game make changes based on that rather than on stats etc.

But I can understand people who hate it due to having lost something they did use.

5 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

I think I don't mind it as I've never used any widgets etc during a match. I'm old school watch the game make changes based on that rather than on stats etc.

But I can understand people who hate it due to having lost something they did use.

It's not even stats that annoy me the most, it's information. I can't see easily when a player has a knock, I can't see as soon as the opposition change formation. I don't see what harm having that info was doing.

Edited by Tiger666

5 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

It's not even stats that annoy me the most, it's information. I can't see easily when a player has a knock, I can't see as soon as the opposition change formation. I don't see what harm having that info was doing.

I've not found knocks to be a huge issue, as in I haven't missed one as yet in about 1.5 seasons of play.

I have the player bar hidden so I can have 4 widgets 2 show the teams formations (does that not update when they change?) Then scores and match stats again because the bar to the left then the dugout then the iPad thing is awful UI thats impossible to follow all at once...there's a lot of awful UI in the game this year though, teamtalks and press conferences 2 other prime examples.

I can see why people hate it but for me its not gamebreaking and I've largely gotten used to it which is why I said I like it. In reality I wouldn't be upset if it changed.

7 minutes ago, kiwityke said:

I've not found knocks to be a huge issue, as in I haven't missed one as yet in about 1.5 seasons of play.

I have the player bar hidden so I can have 4 widgets 2 show the teams formations (does that not update when they change?) Then scores and match stats again because the bar to the left then the dugout then the iPad thing is awful UI thats impossible to follow all at once...there's a lot of awful UI in the game this year though, teamtalks and press conferences 2 other prime examples

But my point is, if you want that info, you have to have a huge tablet on screen meaning you can't watch the game. They seem to have gone out of their way to make the match experience worse.

Edited by Tiger666

Generally, I like it. I think there is still room to grow -- why can't I drag-and-drop on the bottom lineup to switch positions? Why is there no explanation when hovering over the emojis? Why is there no injury-icon on the overview? -- but it gets across what it is meant to get across and at least on smaller monitors it looks quite nice as well.

There are just two things I really, really want changed:

1) The dugout. The AssMan and analysts are getting on my nerves; they update too often with too much irrelevant stuff. Too flashy and more often than not not helpful (no, my 10/12 speed central defender is certainly not trying to man-mark Aubameyang!). In the old view it was easy to shut them up or restrict them to certain information, now they just blab on!

2) When using the "Swap position with"-PI, the swapping automatically closes popups. Too often I wanted to shout or sub players but then positions switched and the menu was closed. This is especially felt when it happens almost simultaneously with the mouse-click...

There should be an option for undecided as well!

I'm over 30, there are aspects I like about the matchday UI, some I'm not so keen on.  I'd like the timeline back, as sometimes I've liked to review previous events in a match, but I understand this has been removed for performance reasons.

For me, it's very much a case of getting used to the changes.  I'm sure once I've had a chance to fully adapt to the changes, I'll be fine with them.

Things I like: bottom bar with body language, ratings and condition clear.

Things I don't like: Being unable to see oppo formation and body language as I used to be able to through widgets during the match. I would be able to note these things as a real manager watching a 90 minute game so why I can't have an in-game shorthand for it is beyond me.

I like the new changes and I am over 30. I feel the "OLD" Ui needed some up to date changes and this is a step in a good direction IMO. However that doesn't mean that some tweaks are not needed for the official release.

And i am also amazed at how smooth and fast the UI feels this year, compared to FM 20.

33 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Things I like: bottom bar with body language, ratings and condition clear.

Things I don't like: Being unable to see oppo formation and body language as I used to be able to through widgets during the match. I would be able to note these things as a real manager watching a 90 minute game so why I can't have an in-game shorthand for it is beyond me.

You can see these.  Not during highlights I don't think, but the option is definitely there for between highlights as I've used both.

I like the changes, they make sense to me. 

However it also does not really change how I play the game at all. All the info I would normally look for is still available to me. And once I have committed to memory what the different faces mean, it will be just as easy as before (and if I do not know I can just click the player to find out. I never used the analysis tools during a game in any case, I did not find it useful. It is much easier for me to just watch the games and make my own judgement on what I am seeing. 

And there is the key point, I think. If you did use them, then you have had to adapt how you play matches, and that is probably not so nice. Either because people resist change or because you feel that you are not as effective, it is less fun, or whatever reason you have. In that case, I can totally see why it annoys you and you dislike it.

The thing is, I am not going to say "yeah this is how it should be". I do not have a strong feeling. As I did not use the things that are gone, as I said, it makes no difference to me. So I will mostly stay neutral in this debate. 

Oh and the faces and hearts are fine to me just in general. It is not really any different to what we had before. We just no longer have a number. I can still tell when a player is getting tired and may need to be subbed. I can still tell what body language my players have. I do not think it is any better or worse. Just a different way to present the same thing. 

Just for comparison, I remember when we transitioned from sliders to roles, duties, etc. And people were also unhappy about that at the time. I would hazard that this change had a positive effect on the game. So who knows, maybe after you get used to it you will start to like it more? 

Oh you didn't like a feature that was introduced in a poorly state 10 years ago but now that it's been refined year upon year you actually do enjoy it? That just proves you don't like change.

Also, crazy that some people are against having more options and customization. You don't enjoy having stats and information in your face? Just hide them.

Has SI even made a statement on why these changes were made? Loads of people think it's for the sake of realism but I've yet to see an actual answer from SI staff.

13 minutes ago, orlyzao said:

Oh you didn't like a feature that was introduced in a poorly state 10 years ago but now that it's been refined year upon year you actually do enjoy it? That just proves you don't like change.

Also, crazy that some people are against having more options and customization. You don't enjoy having stats and information in your face? Just hide them.

Has SI even made a statement on why these changes were made? Loads of people think it's for the sake of realism but I've yet to see an actual answer from SI staff.

I'm putting my money on Xbox release. Though i hope im wrong.

FM Touch is coming to Xbox this year, and i think Touch uses the same matchday UI as full version, so having a less fiddly UI is better for controllers. 

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

You can see these.  Not during highlights I don't think, but the option is definitely there for between highlights as I've used both.

Aye that's the problem. I want them on the highlights as that's the slowest part of the game for me so I am more able to tweak. That has been taken away.

Interesting that, despite the calls that the matchday UI has been ruined, everyone hates it, etc, that it's damn near split 50/50 in terms of who likes it and who doesn't, and age appears to have no influence on it.

I'm 29 and I dislike it.

I think it was telling in the live stream that when Miles was showcasing the various ways to make a sub, he said he finds himself going into the full tactics page more often than not. It makes sense to do it there because we have the most information and can fiddle with the formation etc. It takes 3 clicks to get there now compared to 1 previously. And the head of the company himself prefers that screen. In FM22 I bet we'll have a new "feature" that streamlines this and removes the clutter.

39 minutes ago, paddypower said:

I'm 29 and I dislike it.

I think it was telling in the live stream that when Miles was showcasing the various ways to make a sub, he said he finds himself going into the full tactics page more often than not. It makes sense to do it there because we have the most information and can fiddle with the formation etc. It takes 3 clicks to get there now compared to 1 previously. And the head of the company himself prefers that screen. In FM22 I bet we'll have a new "feature" that streamlines this and removes the clutter.

Yu, i saw that too.

I for one will be using a skin for FM for the first time. Hopefully a good one gets released asap.

A good UI in games is incredibly important, especially in a game like this where information is king. I find it really odd that the UI has ended up this way in this game.

Theres a reason that UI mods are popular in many games out there.

Edited by Siven

I'm over 35 and I really don't like the poll. Sort it out David. :brock:

I do like the UI overall, but at the same time, I would like a few improvements to it. A timeline when reviewing matches would be great - I understand why it was removed for a 'live' match. Reducing the touchline tablet to only 2 panels, so I can see the whole pitch, would make me want to use it. Currently I don't at all. Wishful thinking on this, as I think the notable events will be affected, but I would love to customise the match stats on the left.