Too easy or just a great manager?

Just wanted to see how everyone else is getting on in their saves? I am really enjoying the FM21 beta so far, however I am finding it surprisingly easy! This is a small sample size as I am only 10 games into the league season, but I am playing as Birmingham City and currently I haven't lost a game in any competition. I am top having drawn 3 and won the rest of my games, and I am in the quarter finals of the league cup.

I have a decent team, media predicts us to come 9th, but I am not really struggling against anyone. Even away from home against Norwich who were top at the time I disposed of them comfortably. Maybe I have just made a flying start and have set up a tactic that suits the boys, but wanted to get a feel for how you lot are getting on in your saves?

I've not lost a game yet and im nottingham forest and i'm seeing opposition strikers getting so many goals, for example Adam Armstrong is on 29 goals in 19 apps, and my striker has now got 23 in 20 games and my back up striker has 13 in 7 apps

lost.png

Edited by jckc221013jamie

4 minutes ago, jckc221013jamie said:

I've not lost a game yet and im nottingham forest and i'm seeing opposition strikers getting so many goals, for example Adam Armstrong is on 29 goals in 19 apps, and my striker has now got 23 in 20 games and my back up striker has 13 in 7 apps

lost.png

Hmmm very similar to how mine is playing out. Scott Hogan has scored about 15 goals in all competitions so far for me. I might get through a few more months and then raise it as a potential bug if needs be.

10 minutes ago, Nahuelzn said:

Feel the same. Love the ME but I find the AI too passive and there's a big gap between home and away teams. Maybe those things could be polished in the official release!

Ye I have noticed the same, fingers crossed it gets tweaked for the release!

2 hours ago, jckc221013jamie said:

lost.png

Haha, Adam Armstrong got 37 (!) first season in my save. Then fell off a cliff season 2.

Also finding it very easy - broke the points record in The Championship and now 4th in the Prem with Watford following season.

So yeah, a bit too easy.

Maybe I've been subconsciously pretending not to notice this.....and I think a lot of people are either doing the same or are just being seduced by the genuine improvements. 

The game feels too easy at the moment. I'm playing Wolves, I made a very quick tactic with the intention of playing 15 to 20 games before the full release. Traore, as a Winger on Attack is virtually unplayable (I realise he can be like this sometimes in real life), I'm also seeing quite a few long range goals.

No judgements just some early warning signs that maybe some aspects need a gentle tweak.

Edited by janrzm

Completed first season with Morecombe and won League 2 by 8 points when our board expectation was to avoid a relegation battle.

However I like to think this is down to my managerial genius rather than the game, right? Right?!

Morecambe.png.bbdda826829709c63b8ee2de7c94e221.png

Edited by ScottishFM

Way too easy right now. I mean it's always easy, but this is extreme. 

Only thing that can put me off is that. I already self impose a lot of rules, but I don't want to have to start in division 10 to get a challenge. A smaller team in a top division should be challenge enough.  

Edited by Piksi#10

38 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Maybe I've been subconsciously pretending not to notice this.....and I think a lot of people are either doing the same or are just being seduced by the genuine improvements. 

The game feels too easy at the moment. I'm playing Wolves, I made a very quick tactic with the intention of playing 15 to 20 games before the full release. Traore, as a Winger on Attack it virtually unplayable (I realise he can be like this sometimes in real life), I'm also seeing quite a few long range goals.

No judgements just some early warning signs that maybe need a gentle tweak.

People like to think that when they win is because of their skills, and when they lose is because of the game or a faulty match engine.

---

Maybe the issue is not on the ME side, but on the AI side and the coaches stats. When we have the editor at hand I want to try a significant increase on some managers' CA and some tactical adjustments to see if they have an increase in the difficulty. It makes some logic: The ME doesn't distinguish between AI players and our players, but we have a better understanding of the game, the tactics and how the ME inherently works to take advantage of this.

Edited by Nahuelzn

37 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I'm playing Wolves, I made a very quick tactic with the intention of playing 15 to 20 games before the full release. Traore, as a Winger on Attack it virtually unplayable (I realise he can be like this sometimes in real life), I'm also seeing quite a few long range goals.

my beta save (admittedly only briefly) is with Wolves, and I'm finding Podence to be better than Adama for them as an AMR
although it might be because I'm playing with an IF instead

Moutinho is a god though, literally all of my play goes through him

Yeah, kinda agree with the overall sentiment. Almost every match I go into, I feel I can win (which actually wasn't the case in FM20 until a few seasons in when you had built a world class team).

I got salford to premier league in 3 seasons, winning skybet 2, skybet 1, championship by a lot of points along the way, didn't have to adapt to any hardship or really even do anything tbh, sorta disappointing , no sense of achievement.

So it's the usual story: The beta is "too easy", and now SI will make some changes and when the next version is out I'm back to experience 20 matches losing streaks or have to resort to extensive cheating.

Not saying thr beta is'nt easy. I mean, I'm currently in the top of Leauge One with Oxford, and I am probably the worst FM:er in the world.

Edited by Viking

the game seems easy but i think its due to passive ai away from home , coupled with strikers scoring alot and teams going on long unbeaten runs.

put myself with a Sunday league reputation in charge of a premiership mid/low tier team its harder for few months at least

11 hours ago, nico_france said:

I can agree for the strikers

They're scoring a lot, too much aacording me, on this version

They aren't on my save at all. Top scorer in the championship got 23 goals. Premier league was 18!

I really, really hope they do not listen to you and need strikers again. FM20 was awful as a result of this.

Honestly, i don't think just posting "the game is too easy, i won the league" is helpfull in any way. Yes, it seems unrealistic when you just see the results. But i would say, at least also post the used tatics. 

We had tactis in every FM edition that "broke" the game, for example with 3 pure strikers in front

Yes I think the same. The game isn't 'too easy' in simple sense. But maybe the omnipresent game-break tactics are more plentiful than previously was. And so everyone is discovering gamebreak tactics too easiy, even by mistake and without 'download'ing.. If they dont discover one (even by accident) then the new good ME has them with a good, just right, challenge, but they look confused at people saying too easy.

I'll add some balance to this.

I've played two seasons so far, both with teams in lower leagues that are expected to 'gain promotions as champions'.

First season - finished 3rd - sacked.

Second season - on course to finish 5th-7th.

If anything, I'm finding it harder than FM20.

I have played fm for as long as I remember. I enjoyed fm 2020 a lot. I decided to start fm 2021 with a serious challenge and I picked Sampdoria in the serie A. I have tried different tactics and roles but I have to say it's not going as easy for me as for many of you. As a matter of fact, sometimes I play extremely well and think I'm finally on the right track, and then lose to crap teams, completely chanceless. I have to admit my team is not strong at all and relies on a 38 year old striker, Quagliarella, to do the business up front, but creating CCC's has been a nightmare. The fun part is trying to sign players for me, so trying to lure players on loan, since I don't have any money to buy players, is thé biggest challenge. 

In my first season I managed to get 7th, which was achieved with a lot of ups and downs. What is weird for me this year is the training. Some players are just constantly training badly. The ratings of the players in matches are also quite low, and creating good partnerships seems a nightmare for me in this year's version.

Hi guys,

So basically i browsed the latetst games available from my analyst to highlight my impression regarding the fact that according me, average strikers are scoring too much

Will start from the oldest to newest, will explain which competition it is and if i'm playing home and away

I'm playing with a lone striker in a 4-3-3 tactic

The player analyzed is Dario Benedetto, who is not an elite striker

Dario.png.2fa2f5ace18145ebe15b21a62f52db28.png

His career so far

Benedetto.thumb.png.fa14e0e865b952dad545b131adc86dcf.png

-Match 1 (H) League game: 2 shots/ 2 goals

-Match 2 (A) League game: 4 shots/ 1 saved / 3 missed

-Match 3 (H) Champions League: 1 shot/ 1 missed

-Match 4 (H) League game: 1 shot/ 1 saved

-Match 5 (A) Champions League: 1 shot / 1 saved

-Match 6 (A) League game: 8 shots/ 1 goal / 5 missed / 2 saved

-Match 7 (A) Champions League: 7 shots/ 1 goal / 3 missed / 1 saved / 2 blocked

-Match 8 (H) League game: 1 shot / 1 saved

-Match 9 (A) League game: 7 shots / 2 goals / 1 bar / 2 missed / 2 saved

-Match 10 (H) League game : 4 shots/ 2 goals / 1 missed / 1 saved

-Match 11 (A) League game : 4 shots / 2 goals / 1 missed / 1 blocked

-Match 12 (A) League game: 2 shots/ 2 saved

-Match 13 (H) League game: 2 shots / 1 missed / 1 saved

-Match 14 (A) Cup game (lower team) : 9 shots/ 3 goals / 4 saved / 2 missed / 1 blocked

-Match 15 (A) Cup game (top flight team) : 1 shot/1 goal

-Match 16 (A) League game: 6 shots/ 2 goals / 1 missed / 2 saved / 1 blocked

-Match 17 (H) League game: 3 shots/ 2 goals / 1 saved

To summarize, my main striker had 62 chances in 17 games and scored 18 goals (not my penalty taker btw)

According me, averaging roughly 1 goal/game is more likely an elite player statistic than a "random" player stat

May be it's just a matter of luck on that save as well, but i feel like it's a bit easier to score for strikers on this version of the game

2 hours ago, n00gashock said:

Honestly, i don't think just posting "the game is too easy, i won the league" is helpfull in any way. Yes, it seems unrealistic when you just see the results. But i would say, at least also post the used tatics. 

We had tactis in every FM edition that "broke" the game, for example with 3 pure strikers in front

I am just playing a very basic balanced 442 wing play. Got a target man on support and a pressing forward on attack, two wingers on attack a CM defend and a CM advanced playmaker on support. Nothing unusual or out the box here, just a very basic setup.  

2 hours ago, nico_france said:

Hi guys,

So basically i browsed the latetst games available from my analyst to highlight my impression regarding the fact that according me, average strikers are scoring too much

Will start from the oldest to newest, will explain which competition it is and if i'm playing home and away

I'm playing with a lone striker in a 4-3-3 tactic

The player analyzed is Dario Benedetto, who is not an elite striker

Dario.png.2fa2f5ace18145ebe15b21a62f52db28.png

His career so far

Benedetto.thumb.png.fa14e0e865b952dad545b131adc86dcf.png

-Match 1 (H) League game: 2 shots/ 2 goals

-Match 2 (A) League game: 4 shots/ 1 saved / 3 missed

-Match 3 (H) Champions League: 1 shot/ 1 missed

-Match 4 (H) League game: 1 shot/ 1 saved

-Match 5 (A) Champions League: 1 shot / 1 saved

-Match 6 (A) League game: 8 shots/ 1 goal / 5 missed / 2 saved

-Match 7 (A) Champions League: 7 shots/ 1 goal / 3 missed / 1 saved / 2 blocked

-Match 8 (H) League game: 1 shot / 1 saved

-Match 9 (A) League game: 7 shots / 2 goals / 1 bar / 2 missed / 2 saved

-Match 10 (H) League game : 4 shots/ 2 goals / 1 missed / 1 saved

-Match 11 (A) League game : 4 shots / 2 goals / 1 missed / 1 blocked

-Match 12 (A) League game: 2 shots/ 2 saved

-Match 13 (H) League game: 2 shots / 1 missed / 1 saved

-Match 14 (A) Cup game (lower team) : 9 shots/ 3 goals / 4 saved / 2 missed / 1 blocked

-Match 15 (A) Cup game (top flight team) : 1 shot/1 goal

-Match 16 (A) League game: 6 shots/ 2 goals / 1 missed / 2 saved / 1 blocked

-Match 17 (H) League game: 3 shots/ 2 goals / 1 saved

To summarize, my main striker had 62 chances in 17 games and scored 18 goals (not my penalty taker btw)

According me, averaging roughly 1 goal/game is more likely an elite player statistic than a "random" player stat

May be it's just a matter of luck on that save as well, but i feel like it's a bit easier to score for strikers on this version of the game

Look at the XG charts for your league I bet less than half of the league are clinical which would suggest in fact strikers aren't at all Over powered.

If you are creating good chances as rated by XG then yeah even an average striker might score a goal a game.

Do we think it could be a reputation issue? Every year I do a Pentagon Challenge - start unemployed, sunday league reputation and zero coaching badges. My first team this year who offered me a job were Portuguese Second Division with 2.5 star reputation. This seems wildly higher than it should be considering my 1/2 star rep and no badges or experience. Media Prediction was 16th and I finished top and won promotion to the top league by 13 points...

Usually my first job is in the pits of some Asian 3rd Division and it's an almighty struggle. It can take 10 years to even play against teams like Porto and Benfica. I am reluctant to believe I've finally become an FM God after playing for 17 years. @Neil Brock - is difficulty/reputation a known issue?

Edited by JD123

9 minutes ago, JD123 said:

Do we think it could be a reputation issue? Every year I do a Pentagon Challenge - start unemployed, sunday league reputation and zero coaching badges. My first team this year who offered me ears. 

I am 100% agree. Third person I've seem with very exact issue. 

Journeyman saves presently don't exist. Me personally I find it very offensive to think can spend tens of hours on a 'journeyman' save to find out actually can get big job early day and all prior time a fake waste. So demeaning. Please please please fix this issue. 

14 minutes ago, JD123 said:

Do we think it could be a reputation issue? Every year I do a Pentagon Challenge - start unemployed, sunday league reputation and zero coaching badges. My first team this year who offered me a job were Portuguese Second Division with 2.5 star reputation. This seems wildly higher than it should be considering my 1/2 star rep and no badges or experience. Media Prediction was 16th and I finished top and won promotion to the top league by 13 points...

Usually my first job is in the pits of some Asian 3rd Division and it's an almighty struggle. It can take 10 years to even play against teams like Porto and Benfica. I am reluctant to believe I've finally become an FM God after playing for 17 years. @Neil Brock - is difficulty/reputation a known issue?

Post it to bug thread. This could be huge immersion breaking if you start without badges and end up in professional club so high.

il y a 48 minutes, kiwityke a dit :

Look at the XG charts for your league I bet less than half of the league are clinical which would suggest in fact strikers aren't at all Over powered.

If you are creating good chances as rated by XG then yeah even an average striker might score a goal a game.

You may be right on this point

Will check on that side as well

Afaik SI has access to the overall game data on steam. So they know how many games played in total on steam, how many games are won, draws, losses and  other statistics. So if the game is way too easy, theese results would show it. If that's the case, I am sure they will do some tweaks until full release:)

Cheers

Daveincid

44 minutes ago, JD123 said:

Interesting you post this as I've seen a couple of others mention it mainly in the career updates part of the forum.

However, I started unemployed myself and found that the game was pretty much as expected. I applied for jobs in the lowest division of every country available (running all leagues) except ones which started months later as I wanted to crack on. I was offered jobs in the bottom divisions of Norway, Denmark, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I wasn't offered jobs in the bottom leagues of Russia, Romania, South Africa and some others that I applied for, and didn't even get interviews in the bottom league of Turkey and Mexico.

Would be interested to know what leagues people have running who are finding this as I didn't find it at all, personally.

54 minutes ago, JD123 said:

Already been reported:

Edited by jonnyynnoj

Lots of youtubers are definitely over acheiveing with clubs such as Newcastle, Leeds, Everton etc. 

Finally we get an awesome ME but the game seems too easy. 

I'm playing as Liverpool for my first save before release so it's not fair for me to say if im finding the game too easy but I can say im about 30 games in and I'm unbeaten, and I'm far from a tactical mastermind. 

Edited by Weller1980

• Administrators

Always happy to have a save game examples raised to us so we can check them out. 

Best place to raise them are here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/800-match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

With save games uploaded (and letting us know the file names of course) as described here - https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360015264418-How-to-upload-files-for-support#text

Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Viking said:

So it's the usual story: The beta is "too easy", and now SI will make some changes and when the next version is out I'm back to experience 20 matches losing streaks or have to resort to extensive cheating.

Not saying thr beta is'nt easy. I mean, I'm currently in the top of Leauge One with Oxford, and I am probably the worst FM:er in the world.

then it is easy isnt it?

exactly finally i feel someone agrees!!, i posted on reddit that i felt the game was too easy and all i got was downvotes and people telling me to pick a harder team than chelsea. But its not that easy to win the BPL cup and CL in the first season even with Kante injured for 2 months.

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

It is probably easy. My worries are it will be too hard for me when SI listens to the "too easy" army.

your right exactly. I once posted on this forum that there were too many goals in the game which got quite a lot of attention and then they nerfed it (i believe) and then i feel that there arent enough LOL, its probably very hard for them to find a balance as is imagined. At least I feel that some of the world class players in the world don't score as much as they do in real life. But whether there are too little goals on average I dont exactly know about. Just from my personal experience the numbers that the likes of salah. mane, Messi, ROnaldo get in real life arent exactly and havent been exactly that well replicated in the latest FM games in my opinion

Edited by cheekyspeedster

I always play a save with the worst team in the lowest playable division of a nation. I test my tactic with that team. If i can keep them up or overachieve with that tactic then i think to myself that the tactic might be pretty decent and worth sticking with. Saarbrucken in 3.Liga. were the team i choose. Predicted to finish very bottom of the League and board expectation to fight bravely against relegation.

I expected it to be a really tough season, but it hasnt been. 

1013783349_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.372006fdae196eff09e17b55ccc9d8ef.png