Guide how to set up an optimal database for a balanced savegame and ways to increase realism (updated 03. May 21) *links updated*

1 minute ago, Daveincid said:

yes! Sorry it's not my strenght to be that clear. English isn't my native language.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am going to set up my worldwide journeyman in the next few days, and will try it with a lot more full sim leagues than I've run before! 

I really appreciate your dedication to this information, your english is great and we all appreciate your work!

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 5 Minuten schrieb PatrickReynolds:

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am going to set up my worldwide journeyman in the next few days, and will try it with a lot more full sim leagues than I've run before! 

I really appreciate your dedication to this information, your english is great and we all appreciate your work!

Thank you! Enjoy your journeyman-save:)

Just stumbled upon this thread and I realized my "default" set up is very close to the sweetspot scenario. This is what I find good in my saves if anyone finds it useful (bare in mind I have a high end laptop)

Starting Nation: All Leagues

Major Nations: Top 2 from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France

Additional Leagues: Top League from Austria*, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland*, Switzerland*, Turkey, Ukraine (*Interchangeable leagues if I'm not in Europe)

Added after Game Setup: Top League from Sweden + USA (Don't ask why I do this, just feels more realistic that they get introduced later due to later start dates)

DB: Same as Daveincid really. Total it gives around the 130k mark

Been playing with that setup for years now and has never really failed to give me a good save.

@Daveincid

Thank you for all your work here. I made an account just to reach out and say thanks. In addition, as other people here have said, I can't see your screenshots at all. They are far too low resolution. When I zoom in it becomes completely distorted. If you could upload the pictures at full resolution (I assume you are 3440x1440) I would greatly appreciate it.

If you can't do that use the snipping tool and try to reupload maybe.

I am super interested in seeing those pictures!

Thanks again man!

vor einer Stunde schrieb k3eb22:

@Daveincid

Thank you for all your work here. I made an account just to reach out and say thanks. In addition, as other people here have said, I can't see your screenshots at all. They are far too low resolution. When I zoom in it becomes completely distorted. If you could upload the pictures at full resolution (I assume you are 3440x1440) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again man!

Thanks for the feedback! I will do my best! It maybe takes a bit of time

Cheers

Daveincid

• Daveincid changed the title to Guide how to set up an optimal database for a balanced savegame (updated 25. Nov. 2020)
4 hours ago, k3eb22 said:

@Daveincid

Thanks again man!

I second that. Super interesting post only if the images would be readable. Thanks for taking the time posting such a comprehensive guide!

"international games, national games and the games in your league simulated in full detail"

What is the difference between national games and the games in your league - i mean national games include the games in my league?

Sorry for the question - i am from germany, so it can be  that i missunderstood something.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Conardo:

"international games, national games and the games in your league simulated in full detail"

What is the difference between national games and the games in your league - i mean national games include the games in my league?

Sorry for the question - i am from germany, so it can be  that i missunderstood something.

It's confusing I know. I will edit it. International Games = Champions League, Europa, League, Confederations League), National Games = National Teams. Also german speaking here:D

vor 1 Minute schrieb Lindhoffen:

Very potent guide, mate. Well done!

I'm still living in the past thinking I'm on a potato machine, so I try to limit as much as possible and not put on the highest graphics even when I could do it without any problems.

thanks! I hope that the fight between Intel/AMD continues. So we will get decent processors for less:D

I mean it's a good guide to make you think about what kind of database you really need but personally I think you are loading way too many nations and slowing down your game unnecessarily. Suggesting to load 27 nations minimum is bad advice to most people who want to have a fairly fast game.

There is no need to load more than 80k players or more than 8 nations with their leagues. Extra top level leagues just give the player an advantage over the AI when it comes to offloading players. And I don't think the player needs any extra advantages considering how bad the AI squad building is.

Gerade eben schrieb swippy:

I mean it's a good guide to make you think about what kind of database you really need but personally I think you are loading way too many nations and slowing down your game unnecessarily. Suggesting to load 27 nations minimum is bad advice to most people who want to have a fairly fast game.

There is no need to load more than 80k players or more than 8 nations with their leagues. Extra top level leagues just give the player an advantage over the AI when it comes to offloading players. And I don't think the player needs any extra advantages considering how bad the AI squad building is.

Guide how to set up an optimal database for a balanced savegame (updated 25. Nov. 2020)

3 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Guide how to set up an optimal database for a balanced savegame (updated 25. Nov. 2020)

I'm not sure what you mean with balanced. You will be competing mostly against teams in your domestic league or continental competitions and if you load their leagues in full they will be making transfers and acting somewhat realistically.

If you manage in the European top 5 leagues you don't need to load USA or Brazil leagues because you won't be competing against them.

vor 1 Minute schrieb swippy:

I'm not sure what you mean with balanced. You will be competing mostly against teams in your domestic league or continental competitions and if you load their leagues in full they will be making transfers and acting somewhat realistically.

If you manage in the European top 5 leagues you don't need to load USA or Brazil leagues because you won't be competing against them.

• Less Transfer-Activity will lead to weak the unloaded or view-only-leagues or if you don't even load the players...well nothing happens at all
  • You cut down the AI when you don't set a league to playable...Less intelligent behavior, less activity, less strenght when they play against you.
  • Nations have transfer preferences set in the editor. If you don't load players from Brazil for example, even the other team in a playable league will struggle if they have a high preference for signing brazil players. 
  • If you play in Europe. The strenght of a Top League is influenced pretty strong by the 5-years ranking. Unplayable leagues will have problems to keep up with playable ones. I tried to compensate that a bit with simulating the international games fully, so they won't lost that much.

You have to see it more connected. It's by far not only about offloading players, and as I said: The human players forces the AI to bad squad management if they don't set it to playable.

Summary:

It's hard, but IMO you have two options to run a savegame realisticly in the longrun. 1. plenty of time with a low/mid-range system  2. invest in a better CPU

Cheers

Daveincid

4 minutes ago, Daveincid said:
  • Less Transfer-Activity will lead to weak the unloaded or view-only-leagues or if you don't even load the players...well nothing happens at all
  • You cut down the AI when you don't set a league to playable...Less intelligent behavior, less activity, less strenght when they play against you.
  • Nations have transfer preferences set in the editor. If you don't load players from Brazil for example, even the other team in a playable league will struggle if they have a high preference for signing brazil players. 
  • If you play in Europe. The strenght of a Top League is influenced pretty strong by the 5-years ranking. Unplayable leagues will have problems to keep up with playable ones. I tried to compensate that a bit with simulating the international games fully, so they won't lost that much.

You have to see it more connected. It's by far not only about offloading players, and as I said: The human players forces the AI to bad squad management if they don't set it to playable.

Summary:

It's hard, but IMO you have two options to run a savegame realisticly in the longrun. 1. plenty of time with a low/mid-range system  2. invest in a better CPU

Cheers

Daveincid

Well I disagree completely. Loading more players and leagues heavily favors the player who gets a bigger pool of scoutable players and makes it easier to offload players you don't need. The player is always better and more active in the transfer market than the AI so anything that expands the transfer market heavily favors the player.

The teams that suffer from not being loaded are those that you don't compete against so they are not relevant to you, unless you are having a journeyman save. If I'm managing Inter or Lyon it doesn't matter that Brazilian, MLS or Polish teams suffer because you won't be competing against them.

Less prominent international teams also suffer but I think that's a different issue.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb swippy:

Well I disagree completely. Loading more players and leagues heavily favors the player who gets a bigger pool of scoutable players and makes it easier to offload players you don't need. The player is always better and more active in the transfer market than the AI so anything that expands the transfer market heavily favors the player.

The teams that suffer from not being loaded are those that you don't compete against so they are not relevant to you, unless you are having a journeyman save. If I'm managing Inter or Lyon it doesn't matter that Brazilian, MLS or Polish teams suffer because you won't be competing against them.

Less prominent international teams also suffer but I think that's a different issue.

This is my view of fm, so if you are seeing it different, that's completely fine.

36 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

This is my view of fm, so if you are seeing it different, that's completely fine.

Yeah it's just a different way of playing FM. Everyone has their preferences and there is no right way to play.

I agree with you that loading more leagues and players creates a more realistic and immersive save. But IMO it's at a too high cost to game speed and makes it easier for a player to dominate the transfer market.

Edited by swippy

vor 1 Minute schrieb swippy:

Yeah it's just a different way of playing FM. Everyone has their preferences and there is no right way to play.

I agree with you that loading more leagues and players creates a more realistic and immersive save. But IMO it's at a too high cost to game speed and makes it easier for a player to dominate the transfer market.

Am 15.11.2020 um 14:58 schrieb Daveincid:

Extra Tip:

As a human manager you have some "benefits" over the AI. You can be much better in transfers because you don't "feel" pressure or concerns which teams have IRL. I think that's a reason why the AI is not that aggressive vs a human player fighting against a specific talent. It looks like a weak programmed AI, for me it is just insane programming-skills by SI-devs.  WIth that in mind, you might not just buy a  wonderkid for 20 million while managing a team that would never do that IRL, even if it would be possible. This gave me a much more immersive game-experience.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Daveincid:

It's confusing I know. I will edit it. International Games = Champions League, Europa, League, Confederations League), National Games = National Teams. Also german speaking here:D

16 hours ago, Justified said:

Just stumbled upon this thread and I realized my "default" set up is very close to the sweetspot scenario. This is what I find good in my saves if anyone finds it useful (bare in mind I have a high end laptop)

Starting Nation: All Leagues

Major Nations: Top 2 from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France

Additional Leagues: Top League from Austria*, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Scotland*, Switzerland*, Turkey, Ukraine (*Interchangeable leagues if I'm not in Europe)

Added after Game Setup: Top League from Sweden + USA (Don't ask why I do this, just feels more realistic that they get introduced later due to later start dates)

DB: Same as Daveincid really. Total it gives around the 130k mark

Been playing with that setup for years now and has never really failed to give me a good save.

All are playable right?

As for the DB, when you said it's same as him, what do you mean exactly? I'm thinking about using your game setup for my Greek save with Panionios there.

I appreciate you made a post about your game setup 🙂👍

16 minutes ago, Rakuten06 said:

All are playable right?

As for the DB, when you said it's same as him, what do you mean exactly? I'm thinking about using your game setup for my Greek save with Panionios there.

I appreciate you made a post about your game setup 🙂👍

That is correct. I like the 20 mark roughly when it comes to playable leagues (baring in mind I add two straight after I've loaded the db) You can add as many view only leagues around that as you want, I'd suggest leagues you're actually going to look at. No point adding Chile if you're not actually going to look at it.

As for the DB, this is where you can be quite flexible depending on how quick you want things to be. At a minimum I always load "Current International Players" + "Top Division Clubs" + "Continental Reputation" for all continents. That gives you a rather large pool of players but also Sweden and USA top league clubs would be populated as I have them starting later. Seeing as you're in Europe I'd suggest you load everything in that continent (could also do South America if you want) except "Based in" + "Nationality" as that boosts the DB a little too much!

Hope this gives you a good idea of a nice pool of players for your save :) 

EDIT: I will add for LLM saves I always add the Nation I'm playing in and select "Based in Nation" as I'm further down the pyramid. No need to do it if I'm a larger club as I most likely wouldn't go near LL clubs players.

Edited by Justified

13 minutes ago, Justified said:

That is correct. I like the 20 mark roughly when it comes to playable leagues (baring in mind I add two straight after I've loaded the db) You can add as many view only leagues around that as you want, I'd suggest leagues you're actually going to look at. No point adding Chile if you're not actually going to look at it.

As for the DB, this is where you can be quite flexible depending on how quick you want things to be. At a minimum I always load "Current International Players" + "Top Division Clubs" + "Continental Reputation" for all continents. That gives you a rather large pool of players but also Sweden and USA top league clubs would be populated as I have them starting later. Seeing as you're in Europe I'd suggest you load everything in that continent (could also do South America if you want) except "Based in" + "Nationality" as that boosts the DB a little too much!

Hope this gives you a good idea of a nice pool of players for your save :) 

EDIT: I will add for LLM saves I always add the Nation I'm playing in and select "Based in Nation" as I'm further down the pyramid. No need to do it if I'm a larger club as I most likely wouldn't go near LL clubs players.

Awesome that helps a lot really, I can adjust my database but your explanations are definitely what I need to help me have a fun long-term save with a database I want, cheers! 😄

vor 1 Minute schrieb Domoboy23:

Does loading players with a custom db from a specific division, for example, english regional premier divisions... does this just populate those teams with the actual players to start with, or does it then always keep them loaded up with newgens in the future>

As soon as a player is loaded, he will be generated in the future. So yes:)

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

Does loading players with a custom db from a specific division, for example, english regional premier divisions... does this just populate those teams with the actual players to start with, or does it then always keep them loaded up with newgens in the future>

My general understanding is no it won't necessarily keep populating the teams outside your divisions selected with newgens. I'm sure it regenerates a few but I don't think it'll be to the extent of a full team. I could be wrong here, I've not actually paid attention to that.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Justified:

My general understanding is no it won't necessarily keep populating the teams outside your divisions selected with newgens. I'm sure it regenerates a few but I don't think it'll be to the extent of a full team. I could be wrong here, I've not actually paid attention to that.

To my understanding, fm does somewhat of a screenshot of your players in the db you load up. If you have 60k players at the start. you should have arround the same players in year 2050

5 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

As soon as a player is loaded, he will be generated in the future. So yes:)

Sorry, I'm sure it's just me being silly but confused myself!

I'm selecting the division below the Conference North/South, the regional premier division (which is an inactive league) to load the players from there. Just as I've noticed on a medium db this year as opposed to other years, teams like FC United only have 2/3 real players there, instead of before when it used to be 10-15. 

I know that selecting that subdivision to load players as part of the db setup options will populate it with the players there IRL as long as they are on the db. I was just wondering say, 10 years in the future if the teams will still be full of newgens or not at that level, or if it just loads up the inital player db. If that makes sense? :D more curiosity than anything! Potentially not wanting to bloat the game in the future

5 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

To my understanding, fm does somewhat of a screenshot of your players in the db you load up. If you have 60k players at the start. you should have arround the same players in year 2050

Which could be true, but that doesn't mean those 60k players are at clubs outside playable leagues. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Gerade eben schrieb Domoboy23:

Sorry, I'm sure it's just me being silly but confused myself!

I'm selecting the division below the Conference North/South, the regional premier division (which is an inactive league) to load the players from there. Just as I've noticed on a medium db this year as opposed to other years, teams like FC United only have 2/3 real players there, instead of before when it used to be 10-15. 

I know that selecting that subdivision to load players as part of the db setup options will populate it with the players there IRL as long as they are on the db. I was just wondering say, 10 years in the future if the teams will still be full of newgens or not at that level, or if it just loads up the inital player db. If that makes sense? :D more curiosity than anything! Potentially not wanting to bloat the game in the future

FM is confusing by it's nature:lol:  FC United will still have the same amount of players 10 years later

vor 1 Minute schrieb Justified:

Which could be true, but that doesn't mean those 60k players are at clubs outside playable leagues. Like I said, I could be wrong.

If a club get's so bad that they got relegatet several times in a league, where no players were loaded, then it's likely true that they won't have players anymore. But the other club should have them instead

1 minute ago, Daveincid said:

If a club get's so bad that they got relegatet several times in a league, where no players were loaded, then it's likely true that they won't have players anymore. But the other club should have them instead

I think we're agreeing with each other here but on different tracks :D 

At the risk of asking a slightly stupid question from memory (at work), what is the difference between load "Top Division Clubs" and "Top Clubs" if at the continent level.  Take England - a safe assumption would be Top Division Clubs loads the Premier League.  Would the latter load clubs with a predetermined reputation level that have slipped out of the Top Division, and is there any way to gauge this or what one should be used?

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Phil930:

At the risk of asking a slightly stupid question from memory (at work), what is the difference between load "Top Division Clubs" and "Top Clubs" if at the continent level.  Take England - a safe assumption would be Top Division Clubs loads the Premier League.  Would the latter load clubs with a predetermined reputation level that have slipped out of the Top Division, and is there any way to gauge this or what one should be used?

Top Clubs are down to reputation in this continent. For example: In Tunisia you will get players from ES Tunis, ES du Sahel and CA Tunis, but not the smaller Teams in the league. Top Division is for a whole league. I would never load top clubs only. It's just not worth it to play arround with such scenarios, even with low-end-systems.

Edited by Daveincid

1 hour ago, Daveincid said:

Top Clubs are down to reputation in this continent. For example: In Tunisia you will get players from ES Tunis, ES du Sahel and CA Tunis, but not the smaller Teams in the league. Top Division is for a whole league. I would never load top clubs only. It's just not worth it to play arround with such scenarios, even with low-end-systems.

The counter would be top clubs may source higher reputation teams no longer in the top division (if that is still possible).  But appreciate the context and agree with your thoughts - I will run Top Division Clubs in major continents (i7-8700k, SSD, 32Gb). 

I created a couple .fmf files that can be loaded at the Advanced Setup screen; just drop them into your ...\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2021\game_setup

I have not tested performance on any of these.

Player count will reduce if you switch to a default small database.

Global Load (~105k)

The goal here is to be globally representative with an expansive player load. 35 leagues across 29 nations. Uses a custom small DB: Players with national reputation and from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, East Asia, South America (East & West), North America, Western Africa.

Spoiler

Europe

UK and Ireland: England (2), Scotland (1), Ireland (1)

Central Europe: Austria (1) Belgium (1), France (1), Germany (1), Italy (1), Netherlands (1), Portugal (1), Spain (1)

South Europe: Greece (1), Turkey (1)

Eastern Europe: Croatia (1), Czech Republic (1), Poland (1), Russia (1), Ukraine (1)

Scandinavia: Denmark (1), Sweden (1)

Africa

South Africa (1)

Asia

Australia (1), China (1), South Korea (1)

North America

Mexico (1), USA (1)

South America

Argentina (1), Brazil (1), Colombia (1)

Large Load (~88k): 

The goal here is to be globally and regionally representative with a large player load. Loads 25 leagues across 20 nations using custom small DB: Players with national reputation and from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, East Asia, South America (East & West), North America, Western Africa

Spoiler

Europe

UK and Ireland: England (2)

Central Europe: Belgium (1), France (2), Germany (2), Italy (2), Netherlands (1), Portugal (1), Spain (2)

Eastern Europe: Croatia (1), Russia (1), Ukraine (1)

Scandinavia: Denmark (1)

Africa

South Africa (1)

Asia

China (1)

North America

Mexico (1), USA (1)

South America

Argentina (1), Brazil (1)

Medium Load (~71k)

The goal here is to be globally and regionally representative with a moderate player load. Loads 17 leagues across 16 nations using custom small DB: Players from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, East Asia, South America (East & West), North America, Western Africa

Spoiler

Europe

Central Europe: France (1), Germany (1), Italy (1), Netherlands (1), Spain (1)

Eastern Europe: Russia (1), Ukraine (1)

Africa

South Africa (1)

Asia

China (1)

North America

Mexico (1)

South America

Argentina (1), Brazil (1)

Light Load (~57k)

The goal here is to be globally and regionally representative with a small player load. Loads 13 leagues across 12 nations using custom small DB: Players from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, East Asia, South America (East & West), North America, Western Africa

Spoiler

Europe

Central Europe: France (1), Germany (1), Italy (1), Spain (1)

South Europe: Turkey (1)

Eastern Europe: Ukraine (1)

Africa

South Africa (1)

Asia

China (1)

North America

Mexico (1)

South America

Brazil (1)

Euro Load (~76k)

Euro-Centric load with 26 leagues from 21 nations and a moderate player load. Uses custom Medium DB: Players with national reputation and from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, South America (East & West), Western Africa

Spoiler

Europe

UK and Ireland: England (2), Ireland (1), Scotland (1)

Central Europe: Austria (1), Belgium (1), France (2), Germany (2), Italy (2), Netherlands (1), Portugal (1), Spain (1), Switzerland (1)

Eastern Europe: Croatia (1), Czech Republic (1), Poland (1), Russia (1), Serbia (1), Ukraine (1)

Scandinavia: Denmark (1), Sweden (1)

UK & Ireland Load (54k)

British Isles-centric loads seventeen leagues from the five nations in a custom medium DB: Players with national reputation and from clubs in continental competition from UK & Ireland, Central and Eastern Europe, East Asia, South America (East & West), North America, Western Africa

Includes England (6), Scotland (4), Ireland (2), N. Ireland (3), and Wales (2)

1-Global Load.fmf 6-UK & Ireland Load.fmf 5-Euro Load.fmf 4-Light Load.fmf 3-Medium Load.fmf 2-Large Load.fmf

Edited by Harper

Hi,

One more question. When I add 20 leagues in view and when I press continue the game will show me all leagues being processed similar to when I have a playable league that the games that happen appear with the result etc?

Just to know if this will take alot of time.

I have 1 start performance with 23 view leagues and 7 playable.

detail level

I recommend to set all national teams simulated in full detail as well as the european competition if you play in Europe. You can change this to every other continent if you play there. Also the top 20 leagues. I would set at least the top division and the cup as simulated in full detail.

Hello, thanks for your view of how to have balanced and more realistic game. I would like to ask you how many leagues do you recommend to be simulated in full detail? Top 20 (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1,....) or just the one where you are managing? Sorry, it is quite confusing from the first post.

As I haven´t paid attention to detail level before I am going to try to play patient and slow game with Hearts and see what is going to happen. My long term saves from FM20 (Wrexham and Inter) lasted around 20 years. I played with large database and around top 20 europe leagues loaded. Playing for Inter didn´t seem to bring any noticeable issue. Playing for Wrexham did brought one as I loaded welsh leagues and Cefn Druids became quite competitive in Europa League (occured few times in CL and were able to get into latter stages of EL or EC).

Thanks for your reply and good luck ;)

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Oliver Roland:

Hello, thanks for your view of how to have balanced and more realistic game. I would like to ask you how many leagues do you recommend to be simulated in full detail? Top 20 (Premier League, La Liga, Ligue 1,....) or just the one where you are managing? Sorry, it is quite confusing from the first post.

As I haven´t paid attention to detail level before I am going to try to play patient and slow game with Hearts and see what is going to happen. My long term saves from FM20 (Wrexham and Inter) lasted around 20 years. I played with large database and around top 20 europe leagues loaded. Playing for Inter didn´t seem to bring any noticeable issue. Playing for Wrexham did brought one as I loaded welsh leagues and Cefn Druids became quite competitive in Europa League (occured few times in CL and were able to get into latter stages of EL or EC).

Thanks for your reply and good luck ;)

You are welcome! I just updated my first post. There you can download my recommended setting. Keep in mind, some patience or a good CPU is needed!

Cheers

Daveincid