[Suggestion] Player 'Experience' as an influencing attribute during matches

Erimus1876

Experience plays a big part in football, yet it doesn't seem to be a consideration in FM.

I don't think I'm alone when opting for young players over veterans when it comes to squad building.   Setting PA and tutoring aside for a moment, and concentrating on the actual match day itself, there isn't a real incentive to use older players as they don't fill a role that a talented younger player couldn't fill.

For example;

Experience could be a visible attribute that's linked to a players age, the number of games he's played, and the level at which he's played most of his matches.

Thus a player who is 32 y/o and played 100's of matches as a central defender should have some temporary influence over an 18 y/o fellow defender he's paired with in any particular match. That influence could be a bonus to the youngsters decision-making, positioning, and even mental stats (i.e. a reduction in nervousness), for the duration of that particular match.  Same with midfielders and strikers, where a more experienced veteran playing alongside younger players in those areas of the pitch has a positive influence while he's on the pitch.

This would give us more incentive to bring in veterans when squad building, and especially when it comes to team selection for big high-pressure matches.

I think this would work well for lower league management in particular, where in RL sheer 'talent' doesn't trump all, and instead a mixture of experience and youth works well.  If you look at mangers like Neil Warnock for example, he's been highly successful with most of his clubs, and his ethos has always been about fielding very experienced players in key positions for the teams he builds.

• 1 month later...

Agree. I also find that older players collapse a little too quickly and predictably in FM. Every year with a new version of the game there's loads of 33+ year old players whose physicals are still in good shape. Brazilian Ricardo Oliveira on FM21 has acceleration and pace 13 at the start of the game at the age of 40. IRL Some players don't collapse so quickly. On FM that would never happen.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a great feature. Big Sam also relies heavily on experience &  likes to bring in players he knows can do the job (e.g. Nolan, Vaz Te, O'Brien, Faye, Taylor & Diop (rip). Perhaps such players could have a positive effect on relegation threatened clubs if they've had enough experience of relegation battles?

• 1 month later...