[FM 21] Arsenal - Still Waiting For Arteta's Tiki Taka!

VP.

11 hours ago, Cam NBH said:

Thanks matey, going to get him as bpd/d. Much appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas on backup LB please?

i love Ajer, i signed him on fm20 and on this one, not sure if i should have as holding seems to be playing pretty well, so now have 3 class cbs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, 1984mattyd said:

i love Ajer, i signed him on fm20 and on this one, not sure if i should have as holding seems to be playing pretty well, so now have 3 class cbs

I think it's okay to have three class CBs for the injury cover and rotation. As long as you are in Europe, there are enough games to go around.

20 minutes ago, Harper said:

I think it's okay to have three class CBs for the injury cover and rotation. As long as you are in Europe, there are enough games to go around.

definitely agree, and thats without saliba who has been out on loan at wolves for the first season.

1 hour ago, Cam NBH said:

I remember someone saying they sold Luiz and everyone kicked off, has anyone sold him with no problems?

I don't recall any issues with Luiz.

In my first meeting with the team, I indicated I would not stand in the way of big transfers and that I would reduce the size of the squad.

Somehow, Xhaka is mad that I failed to keep my promise of reducing the squad size when I sold Luiz, Mustafi, Kolašinac, Lacazette, and Macey. Sent Cedric and Saliba out on loan. And brought in Kris Ajer and Greg Taylor.

For some reason, Pablo Mari is happy, but Ceballos and Marí are not, despite a net reduction of five players. Enough to register everyone within the confines of the Europa League registration rules at the end of January.

Xhaka and Aubameyang were upset by selling Özil and Lacazette, but were assuaged by the youth player promise.

image.thumb.png.94f0b2f97c48bfab0150705370126326.png

I rattled off a 23 game unbeaten run, only to lose on the final day to Aston Villa (who, despite winning, got relegated).

Villa was even with Newcastle on 40 points, but needed to over come a significant GD deficit (Villa was -29 to Newcastle's -10) 

Gotta love that Spurs form. 1-5-9 in the last fifteen matches. Dropped from 6th place at round 35 to 9th after Round 38.

Conversely, Brighton were 14th after round 35 and clinched the Europa Conference League spot on the last day.

You're looking at the top 9 point accrual week by week (Point Total, Result)

image.png.53f54ee2d3bc4f530e1d10da6620b67f.png

Edited by Harper

16 hours ago, Harper said:

Can't complain for a no-fuss backup. I'm trying really hard to not sign too many players who expect to have regular starter status or greater at anyone one position (easier said than done).

Thanks for the tip, man. Also, on a side note, what skin is that? It looks great - I play on a Mac as well. 

8 hours ago, Cam NBH said:

I remember someone saying they sold Luiz and everyone kicked off, has anyone sold him with no problems?

I let him go to Burnley for free while paying £50K a week for the last year of his contract. No one kicked up a fuss at all. I did the same with Sokratis going to Zenit while I cover £25K a week. 

7 hours ago, Harper said:

In my first meeting with the team, I indicated I would not stand in the way of big transfers and that I would reduce the size of the squad.

Somehow, Xhaka is mad that I failed to keep my promise of reducing the squad size when I sold Luiz, Mustafi, Kolašinac, Lacazette, and Macey. Sent Cedric and Saliba out on loan. And brought in Kris Ajer and Greg Taylor.

For some reason, Pablo Mari is happy, but Ceballos and Marí are not, despite a net reduction of five players. Enough to register everyone within the confines of the Europa League registration rules at the end of January.

Xhaka and Aubameyang were upset by selling Özil and Lacazette, but were assuaged by the youth player promise.

13 minutes ago, WillyBroadband said:

I let him go to Burnley for free while paying £50K a week for the last year of his contract. No one kicked up a fuss at all. I did the same with Sokratis going to Zenit while I cover £25K a week. 

Nice one lads thanks

7 hours ago, Harper said:

Granit Xhaka is always a massive arse on FM for some reason. Always demanding wage increases, agitating about one thing or another and never backs down. Problem is, no one wants to buy him at anything like value at the start of any game, so you just have to live with his whinging

I have PSG interested in xhaka 

I set his value to 20 and he’s played a few games for me and done well as a dm dlp defend. I think that helps get clubs interested

cant wait for January on my game. He was listed by request as was kolacinac who is also worth 20 odd million. If I can sell those two with aouor coming in, hopefully I get more cash in January as I plan a big overhaul 

I was thinking of doing a Arsenal save. The first thing that comes to mind is using Özil as a "10" with Aubameyang as the main goal threat in a counter system. 

Anybody had success with Özil in there first season? 

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

I was thinking of doing a Arsenal save. The first thing that comes to mind is using Özil as a "10" with Aubameyang as the main goal threat in a counter system. 

Anybody had success with Özil in there first season? 

I gave him a run in my save during pre-season. Tried all sorts of roles in the #10 spot and he was rubbish and regularly my worst trainer too.

My curious start continues. Edu & the BFG continue to hoover up rubbish prospects on free transfers to bulk out the u23s, so my development screen now takes ages to load.

Balotelli still hasn't done anything mad, but his great goalscoring start has not been replicated. However, in his first start Mustafi scored a hat-trick against Fulham with WIlian's first start yielding 4 assists.

11 games in in all competitions so far and Pepe is a beast - 8 goals in 6 games as an inside forward. Mostly been playing weaker teams, but pacey forwards and wide players seem too effective. After 7 EPL games I'm +29 Goal Difference with little impact from any of my 'one eye on the future' signings. WIll be interesting to see what happens when teams inevitably start low blocking me, as at present, my team is getting lots of space to run into.

Hi all - busy thread this, great to see.

I started a save in the Beta just to have a bit of a play around but ended up coming back to start a proper save a week or two ago. So, I thought I would do a proper update. It won't be as eloquent as @Tee2 but will have pictures so...

Getting started

The first thing I noticed was how terrible the staff set up is at Arsenal. Our coaches, recruitment and (most worryingly) medical team are terrible. So, I focus the first few days of my save there and spend a small fortune on loads of mutual terminations, this includes Steve Round (sorry Steve). I then spend another chunk of time searching out the best possible staff for the roles I have freed up and also get the board to agree to let me have more coaches. After about 2 weeks of comings and goings - the staff are in a much better place.

20201209103711_1.thumb.jpg.3b94e0f34dbb62e038f298422e323686.jpg

My recruitment team still lags a bit behind the very best but my best scouts (and new Chief Scout) are superb.

On the Pitch

As usual, I started with a 41221 formation and try to blend the best of 2011 Barcelona with Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool sides. Also as usual, it's rubbish. In some early pre-season games I manage 70% possession with an xG of less than 1. Something isn't right here. 

I'm tempted to go and download a tactic from elsewhere until I spend a bit of time looking at the squad and asking that age-old question 'how do you want to play' and 'what do you want your squad to be like'. As such, I will go a different way and prioritise pace and power. On the off chance we have any NFL fans here - think Pete Carroll's Seahawks from 2014. That means pressing high, moving the ball quickly and looking to take advantage of the physical (more so than the technical) attributes of the likes of Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe and Partey. 

Edited by BrickCommo23

1 hour ago, lomekian said:

Granit Xhaka is always a massive arse on FM for some reason. Always demanding wage increases, agitating about one thing or another and never backs down. Problem is, no one wants to buy him at anything like value at the start of any game, so you just have to live with his whinging

Mate, I was mega lucky, I sold him straight away to Real for £28.5M! I couldn't believe my luck, haha

Like Bigman I also stopped after FM14 but, after watching a few YT vid's I'm thinking, only thinking, about giving FM21 a try.  I don't know if there is anyone left who remembers the WM formation trial we had going back in the day, it was absolutely brilliant, can't remember how long ago that was lol. If anyone is interested read the book 'Inverting The Pyramid' by Jonathon Wilson.

8 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

Like Bigman I also stopped after FM14 but, after watching a few YT vid's I'm thinking, only thinking, about giving FM21 a try.  I don't know if there is anyone left who remembers the WM formation trial we had going back in the day, it was absolutely brilliant, can't remember how long ago that was lol. If anyone is interested read the book 'Inverting The Pyramid' by Jonathon Wilson.

I didn’t use the wm but it rings abell

inverting the pyramid is a great book 

10 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

I remember using WM as long ago Championship Manager in '92! As a geek, and Arsenal fan, and increasingly an old git, it seems only right to go full Herbert Chapman sometimes.

1 minute ago, lomekian said:

I remember using WM as long ago Championship Manager in '92! As a geek, and Arsenal fan, and increasingly an old git, it seems only right to go full Herbert Chapman sometimes.

Herbert Chapmans WM was an awesome tactic, went 2 seasons without a defeat. I started with '92 as well and as I said stopped in '14. I'm with you as an Arsenal fan I started when I was 8 and yesterday I had my 68th birthday, act and feel like a 40yr old LOL, so 60 yrs a Gooner, you dont get that for murder LOL

16 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

Herbert Chapmans WM was an awesome tactic, went 2 seasons without a defeat. I started with '92 as well and as I said stopped in '14. I'm with you as an Arsenal fan I started when I was 8 and yesterday I had my 68th birthday, act and feel like a 40yr old LOL, so 60 yrs a Gooner, you dont get that for murder LOL

Well, you've made me feel younger! I guess then you probably remember Kevin Toms Football manager with the stick men highlights and dodgy computer speaker sound, and basically no foreign players and randomised player ratings.

As a fan of 60 years, you must be sad to hear about Willie young's suffering from too many bangs on the bonce. A little before my time. I was lucky enough to coincide with the start of the amazing 80s youth crop, so saw how quickly things can change, and how important it is to have at least one midfielder who can cover ground, unlike the current real life situation. Happily AMN does well there in FM, and he's overdue a run there in real life.

3 minutes ago, lomekian said:

Well, you've made me feel younger! I guess then you probably remember Kevin Toms Football manager with the stick men highlights and dodgy computer speaker sound, and basically no foreign players and randomised player ratings.

As a fan of 60 years, you must be sad to hear about Willie young's suffering from too many bangs on the bonce. A little before my time. I was lucky enough to coincide with the start of the amazing 80s youth crop, so saw how quickly things can change, and how important it is to have at least one midfielder who can cover ground, unlike the current real life situation. Happily AMN does well there in FM, and he's overdue a run there in real life.

WOW Kevin Toms, there's a blast from the past. Willie Young former THFC, came to us in '77 I believe. Well when I start FM21 I will be playing AMN in midfield as thats what he prefers, so we'll see how he does. I've also seen a YT series where Pepe was played as a IF/A and he was a scoring beast. Some have been playing him as a IF/Sup, so I'm going to see how he does in the attacking role.

3 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

My pet hate is training and I mean HATE and I have just looked on YT at some training vids and I stopped at FM14 was going to download FM21 but, I will not be playing FM21, the training is a nightmare, so have fun guys and good luck, I'm off.

Lolz - mate you just give that responsibility to your assistant manager (or anyone else for that matter). You literally never have to deal with it (I don't - it's a pain). 

16 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Lolz - mate you just give that responsibility to your assistant manager (or anyone else for that matter). You literally never have to deal with it (I don't - it's a pain). 

I love the training, I've only just recently got into it & I swear it's improved stuff (I might be wrong) 

Going to be starting a save with Arsenal soon. Turning the first window budgets off so I will work with what we have for the time-being. I have already made plans for the January / Summer transfer window in terms of outgoings but will have to set up plenty of scouting assignments for the early portion of the season to identify some targets. 

The side I want to aim for in time for the second season would be something like;

GK - Leno
DR - Bellerin
DL - Tierney
DC - Gabriel
DC- New signing - preferably a more physical player that will do the basics
DM - New signing (maybe even Torreira / Guendouzi when they return from their respective loans, want a real screener and ball-winner here)
MC - New signing (Mezzala or an advanced playmaker - Grealish or Aouar are the number one priorities)
MC - Partey
AMR - Pepe
AML - Saka / Martinelli rotating
FC - Aubameyang

In terms of players to go, I'm going to be looking at shipping Mustafi, Sokratis, Ozil and maybe Kolasinac in January. I will then probably be looking to get a decent amount for Lacazette in the summer, along with selling Cedric. I will see if there's any interest in Xhaka as I don't plan on having a player of his sort in my squad to be honest.

Anyone had any luck signing Ceballos permanently? If so, how much does he cost? He might be ideal for the Mezzala role long-term, I'll try him in games here and there to see how he performs. Any other suggestions for that playmaker-ish role alongside Partey? Also, any suggestion on a DM? My main thinking was Ndidi from Leicester but he could cost a fortune which is why I thought perhaps I could give Torreira a real shot there and spend the bulk of the budget on a new CB / CM. 

7 hours ago, WillyBroadband said:

Thanks for the tip, man. Also, on a side note, what skin is that? It looks great - I play on a Mac as well. 

It's the Base21 Dark Skin, with the header color mod and some of the backgrounds by @stevemc found here

I'm fumbling my way through skin modifications myself. Mostly to resize panels and make better use of limited screen real estate.

2 hours ago, RossoneriGunner said:

That’s great your still playing fm 

don’t stop playing over training, it’s easy 

get the assistant to do it but make sure to have a match preview and review around each game and 2 bonding sessions a week

1 hour ago, RossoneriGunner said:

My pet hate is training and I mean HATE and I have just looked on YT at some training vids and I stopped at FM14 was going to download FM21 but, I will not be playing FM21, the training is a nightmare, so have fun guys and good luck, I'm off.

Me too. SO I just let it happen automatically. It doesn't seem to be negative to leave it.

1 hour ago, RossoneriGunner said:

1 hour ago, BrickCommo23 said:

1 hour ago, WillyBroadband said:

I love the training, I've only just recently got into it & I swear it's improved stuff (I might be wrong) 

I review and set player individual trainings, but mostly leave general training to the Ass Man. Only time I get involved is if I introduce a new tactic or set piece routine. When I do that, I set the general training to heavy match preparation and tactical training, or set-piece training in order drill it in and get familiarity built up a little faster.

I used to leave it to my Asst Man years ago and then one year I set up 2 games. One I just left to my Asst Man and the I other downloaded someones schedule and as far as I could see, it didn't make one bit of difference. Still had the same injuries, squad were together and fitness levels etc were almost identical. So I may buy '21 and have a go, juries still out but knowing me they will come back with a resounding YES! LOL

2 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

I used to leave it to my Asst Man years ago and then one year I set up 2 games. One I just left to my Asst Man and the I other downloaded someones schedule and as far as I could see, it didn't make one bit of difference. Still had the same injuries, squad were together and fitness levels etc were almost identical. So I may buy '21 and have a go, juries still out but knowing me they will come back with a resounding YES! LOL

Well from early viewing, the match engine does seem the best so far. Crucially there are a lot of elements that you can delegate, so you can do as deep or surface as you like!

14 minutes ago, lomekian said:

Well from early viewing, the match engine does seem the best so far. Crucially there are a lot of elements that you can delegate, so you can do as deep or surface as you like!

Yeah you're right. I fought and did tougher things in the RM's LOL

Edited by RossoneriGunner
changed text

Season 1 Update (Part 2 of 2)

Transfers

I give Ozil and others a fair crack of the whip but they're rubbish in just about every role possible and so we choose to move on and try to get some to help with the first phase of this rebuild. 

And just to make my decision really easy - Ozil and Sokratis are the worst trainers at the club too. Overall, I manage to bring in just shy of £30mil for Sokratis, Ozil and Cedric. Mustafi also leaves on loan on the last day of the window because just the sight of his name makes me cross.

My new Chief Scout goes a bit crazy in bringing in U23 prospects while I am looking for some quality in the middle of the park to pair with Partey and Ceballos and generally rely less on Elneny and Xhaka. Camavinga looks like the sort of player who can be good now but also part of the new strong and quick Arsenal. He may well also ended up going for nine figures in due course too. I ask the board to buy him as I believe they would 1) get a good price and 2) their fee doesn't come out of your transfer budget (which is something I thought I vaguely remembered from FM20.

Needless to say I am wrong on both counts - and his £71million price tag wipes out my entire budget. Even to the point where I can't afford the extra £250k to complete the loan signing of Vinicius Junior

20201209102525_1.thumb.jpg.72f8e22b82cb4643a090b7aec21e5e3c.jpg

PS - Reo Griffiths comes in on deadline day as a TM for my 442 system

Matches

I've already shared the Community Shield result and from there we continue to impress:

20201209102709_1.thumb.jpg.8993d0149df1cc9a1544765b65971478.jpg20201209102744_1.thumb.jpg.b16a3ace263bd970dfe2b297b109175a.jpg20201209102758_1.thumb.jpg.38d23a090294859a67cbca3ed6986ca3.jpg20201209102811_1.thumb.jpg.b688a6e6c41cbe3e566da4ee5aa27edd.jpg

A good start to the season and the new era at the Emirates. 

I can't help myself from being an opportunist.

Ajax put a £22M price on Andre Onana so I've put a bid in. Leno is perfectly suited and has played well for me and I even gave him an improved contract. Controversy!

Edited by Harper