[FM 21] Arsenal - Still Waiting For Arteta's Tiki Taka!

VP.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this discussed somewhere but can't remember where and I meant to ask this about a week ago, but completely forgot LOL. Regarding a players condition, when do you guys substitute, a) when the heart is red ❤️, or b) when it is two tone brown 🤎 ?.  I used to substitute on two tone brown now I sub when it turns red.

27 minutes ago, RossoneriGunner said:

I saw this discussed somewhere but can't remember where and I meant to ask this about a week ago, but completely forgot LOL. Regarding a players condition, when do you guys substitute, a) when the heart is red ❤️, or b) when it is two tone brown 🤎 ?.  I used to substitute on two tone brown now I sub when it turns red.

I always wait until its red, doesn't really seem to effect a players performance whatever colour it is though can of course lead to an injury easier.

10 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I always wait until its red, doesn't really seem to effect a players performance whatever colour it is though can of course lead to an injury easier.

I tried to time how long it took a player to go from brown to red and it was approx 15 to 20mins

Edited by RossoneriGunner

This is pure sneaky bum time. Liverpool play Manchester United in the last game. I have no idea how the team has managed to get to this position. Tottenham play Chelsea. Our form has been inconsistent as we have finished the season with a too many draws.  

Aubameyang hasn't seen the net bulge in the league since February. I think we could even end up in the Europa League. 

image.png.c1d470d53fe2b3b9aad016086e2ee362.png

----

WE DID IT.

image.png.05fdcfd0a99721ad3d863e15baa2c796.png

A comprehensive and resounding 4-1 win over Fulham secures the title for us on the final day. Aubameyang breaks his goal drought and lifts the trophy at the Emirates! Will post a more in depth review of the season at a later date. 

Just look a look at the league winning bonuses. Lyon earn £2m from the Lacazette deal, with a title winning bonus for them. He score 1 league goal all season! :lol:

Edited by Swills417

Great match. Been on a weird run where we've fallen from 1st to 3rd, struggling for goals. Did beat United to get to the cup final.

Got a great chance of winning the CL. Nice semi final opponent there. Sommer had the game of his life until Ronaldo smashed in a 31 yard free kick before setting up Bentancur for the 2nd

Arsenal v Borussia Mönchengladbach_ Review.png

On 09/01/2021 at 07:27, SortitoutsiVP said:

Anyone else have a complete change in performances/results since the patch?

First game I lost 0-1 at home to Newcastle after previously being unbeaten for 28 matches. Most other games have been a struggle and even if we have created loads of chances we've been very poor in front of goal compared to before. Scrapped through to the FA Cup final only to be well beaten by 10th place Bournemouth, threw away the Premier League to Chelsea when before hand we looked odds on to win it but did manage to win the Champions League though just seemed more through luck than anything else.

I know they say there's no changes to the ME but had exactly the same problems with the last patch, just seems to completely ruing your save.

Coming back to this... 

My possession based tactic is completely nerfed since the update. I know the AI is supposed to learn what you do but it's literally changed overnight and I'm now 50-50 home to Palace. 

Annoying. Going to try and find some info online... 

2020/2021 season recap

I've now finished my first season and I think I can be pretty pleased with how it went in general. We were absolutely fantastic up until April, where the issues with our squad started to become more apparent. A pretty poor final month saw us just about winning the FA Cup (penalties after a 0-0 draw with Leeds) and losing the Europa League final vs Roma (a 1-0 loss in extra time) so I'm a little disappointed there.

Competitions

As you'll see in the below picture, We won the league. we were comfortably ahead for quite a while, but dropped points against Sheff Utd, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man Utd and Leicester in April & May to take things down to the final day, where we comfortably beat West Ham 4-0 to bring the title home.

Competitions2021.thumb.PNG.5cbd64aa1946a493b302a7634363a082.PNG

Player performance

Some of our signings ended up performing really well and were instrumental in our success. Emi Buendia ended up playing 41(9) games in total, racking up 13 goals and 24 assists, including a chart topping 21 in the league. Nicolo Rovella ended up getting lots more games than expected, starting 19 games and being subbed on in a further 16. He managed 1 goal and 7 assists, with an average rating of 7.20 which isn't too bad considering he's 19 and this is his first season in England. Yusuf Demir wasn't quite so impressive, but he still got plenty of game time. He played 43 in total (20 as a substitute) and got 6 goals and 6 assists. I'm not too unhappy here because he's only 17 and has shown real signs of improvement.

The full squad stats are below.

Squad2021.thumb.PNG.018566e2f9432af6b2f5dba0e086fecc.PNG

Transfers

In the January window, we ended up bringing in Yunus Musah for £15M, as well as Isco on loan with an option to buy for £34M. Yuriel Celi joined after his contract with his previous club expired, but he was shipped straight out on loan to gain a work permit.

Plans for next season

The end of this season confirmed what I was already expecting - I desperately need some more depth. In terms of outgoings, I'm going to attempt to move on WillianJack WilshereSead Kolasinac and Mohamed Elneny at least. I'm going to be open to offers for pretty much anyone, so it may be that we see more movement than expected. For incomings, I've been trying sine January to tempt Memphis Depay to come here, but he's been wanting to wait until his contract expires. He's my priority and bringing him in will allow me more flexibility to lose one of Aubameyang and Lacazette if the right offer comes in. Sandro Tonali is another I've been keeping an eye on, while players like Eduardo Camavinga and Mikel Oyarzabal are interesting me as well. A reliable backup keeper is required - I've got absolutely no faith in Runarsson and he didn't play a single minute of football for me this season. I'll be keeping an eye on the relegated teams and may try to bring someone like Nick Pope in if he decides he doesn't want to play Championship football. 

Edited by Sean3h

5 hours ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Coming back to this... 

My possession based tactic is completely nerfed since the update. I know the AI is supposed to learn what you do but it's literally changed overnight and I'm now 50-50 home to Palace. 

Annoying. Going to try and find some info online... 

I've made a new tactic as my 4-1-5 was performing no where near as good as before the patch. Now using a 4-2-4 and doing better, no more wingers sadly but I'm using wide advanced playmakers instead.

8 hours ago, Sean3h said:

2020/2021 season recap

I've now finished my first season and I think I can be pretty pleased with how it went in general. We were absolutely fantastic up until April, where the issues with our squad started to become more apparent. A pretty poor final month saw us just about winning the FA Cup (penalties after a 0-0 draw with Leeds) and losing the Europa League final vs Roma (a 1-0 loss in extra time) so I'm a little disappointed there.

Competitions

As you'll see in the below picture, We won the league. we were comfortably ahead for quite a while, but dropped points against Sheff Utd, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man Utd and Leicester in April & May to take things down to the final day, where we comfortably beat West Ham 4-0 to bring the title home.

Plans for next season

The end of this season confirmed what I was already expecting - I desperately need some more depth. In terms of outgoings, I'm going to attempt to move on WillianJack WilshereSead Kolasinac and Mohamed Elneny at least. I'm going to be open to offers for pretty much anyone, so it may be that we see more movement than expected. For incomings, I've been trying sine January to tempt Memphis Depay to come here, but he's been wanting to wait until his contract expires. He's my priority and bringing him in will allow me more flexibility to lose one of Aubameyang and Lacazette if the right offer comes in. Sandro Tonali is another I've been keeping an eye on, while players like Eduardo Camavinga and Mikel Oyarzabal are interesting me as well. A reliable backup keeper is required - I've got absolutely no faith in Runarsson and he didn't play a single minute of football for me this season. I'll be keeping an eye on the relegated teams and may try to bring someone like Nick Pope in if he decides he doesn't want to play Championship football. 

I am still in my first season, and I am in a similar situation. I was in the title race for most of the season, but our form fell off a cliff and we are now in 5th, however the north london derby is coming up, tottenham are in 4th and we have a game in hand (or 3) on everyone. We won the carabao, are progressing in europe and the fa cup.

with regrard to transfers, I am in a similar position. Hopefully I will get rid of lacazette who has been poor, probably through developing youngsters. I also havent given runarsson many minutes, and so will probably bring in sam johnston or david raya. Tonali is also a target for me, and I will probably get rid of xhaka in order to bring him in. Sead kolasinac and willian will also probably be going.

1 hour ago, Mr. VerticalTikiTaka said:

with regrard to transfers, I am in a similar position. Hopefully I will get rid of lacazette who has been poor, probably through developing youngsters. I also havent given runarsson many minutes, and so will probably bring in sam johnston or david raya. Tonali is also a target for me, and I will probably get rid of xhaka in order to bring him in. Sead kolasinac and willian will also probably be going.

I'm in my first season and coming up to January 2021, so my first job in Jan will be to offer Donnarumma a contract, his AC Milan one runs out on 30/6/2021. I have been told I will have a transfer budget of £70m for 21/22, so with the players I've sold and players I hope to sell, I'm looking at Declan Rice and Dayot Upamecano and 'IF' I have any money left then I may look at Eduardo Camavinga.

Players OUT 

Özil   Fenerbahçe   £20m
Mustafi   WHU   £16m
Sokratis   C Palace   £12m
Luiz   Atlético Madrid   £12m
Total income   £60m 

3 hours ago, RossoneriGunner said:

I'm in my first season and coming up to January 2021, so my first job in Jan will be to offer Donnarumma a contract, his AC Milan one runs out on 30/6/2021. I have been told I will have a transfer budget of £70m for 21/22, so with the players I've sold and players I hope to sell, I'm looking at Declan Rice and Dayot Upamecano and 'IF' I have any money left then I may look at Eduardo Camavinga.

Players OUT 

Özil   Fenerbahçe   £20m
Mustafi   WHU   £16m
Sokratis   C Palace   £12m
Luiz   Atlético Madrid   £12m
Total income   £60m 

HOW?

Up to december, if anyone wants to have a look:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/542075-fm21-the-arsenal-way/?do=findComment&comment=12901892

Edited by RogerC

27 minutes ago, RogerC said:

No! The 20m for Özil :idiot:

I watched a guy on YT and he would put up a player say Joe Bloggs for £15m and if he got that he would remove the £15m and ask £17m and if clubs were prepared to pay £17m he would then ask for say £20m and so on, so I thought I would try it with Ozil and stopped when I was offered £20 as I didn't want to push it and lose out completely.

I also tried it with David Luiz but was told to get stuffed LOL, so I settled for £12m.

4 hours ago, Mr. VerticalTikiTaka said:

had a question about signing a dm as a dlp/bwm in the summer. I thought of kessie or tonali, but i was wondering which would be the best in terms of there all round game, so being able to drop back as my full-backs push forward, but also drive forward and start attacks

Hello mate, I've only had him for half a season but Florentino Luís at Benfica is great, he's got great mental stats & I play him as a DM Def Mid/Sup. He's been superb so far. 

Just now, WillyBroadband said:

Hello mate, I've only had him for half a season but Florentino Luís at Benfica is great, he's got great mental stats & I play him as a DM Def Mid/Sup. He's been superb so far. 

Just realised though mate, sorry, he's on loan at Monaco in the first season. 

1 hour ago, yorkie87 said:

Interested how others have found partey? Played him as a box to box mid and no lit the world up. 

First season he was really good as a Mez/Attack but second season his form has been a lot more inconsistent & I'm thinking of selling him. 

partey has been good at stopping attacks getting too dangerous as a bbm, dlp or bwm, and chips in with attaching contributions, so been quite good. I will check in on florentino luis, as I am approaching the end of 20/21. on that note, I recently won both north london derbys 1-0, with kane missing a late pen in the away game

So season three is over. Lost the league to United, beat Spurs in the Cup Final and had a chance to win the CL, this is why I signed Ronaldo

2069626114_BayernMnchenvArsenal_Pitch.png.f112ead7e70fc2ae602075fd56d88137.png

I'm genuinely gutted, we should have won that as we were the better team for the majority.

I'm angry at Tierney, he might be finished at the club now. Such a pathetic red.

888821505_Arsenal_Players-9.png.055d2f2fdc6768ebf3f72aafdf75486c.png738319282_Arsenal_Players-8.png.1db511a802c87d60a7015fa4914d4164.png

Ronaldo had a great season. Edouard looks like he had one too but he feels a bit Giroud to me, just not quite good enough.

Pepe got most of his goals in the cup. He's being sold as Saka really stepped up at RW at the close of the season, scoring in both finals as well as in big league games.

END OF SEASON REVIEW - 2023/2024

Another season with some success but Champions League frustration:

b403266afb.png

PREMIER LEAGUE:

22fde59abb.png

Stayed consistent for the rest of the season, United didn't, and ended up winning the league reasonably comfortably.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE:

e7e6c4517b.png

Still can't quite get over the hump. I think we would have beaten Chelsea if we got past PSG. Why do I think that?

FA CUP:

91ab65666e.png

A very strong run in the Cup to go back-to-back.

CARABAO CUP:

51902197b9.png

No shame losing to Liverpool after a tough run where the backups gave a great account of themselves.

MATCHES:

ddd46c7fed.png

b7d1db6c3d.png

As you can see, very few blemishes. Just really need to get over the CL hump.

INDIVIDUAL HONORS:

c575d2ec10.png

PLAYERS OF NOTE:

Let's first look at the players who made Team of the Year.

Nicolas Pepe stepped up a level this season. 23 goals and 6 assists(15/3 in the League). I had been considering selling him as he hadn't been performing as well as in my previous save, but he may have turned it around now.

Brenner finally broke into the first team squad this season. I picked up him in summer 2021 for a piddling 6M, but Eddie and Laca had kept him out on loan for the last few seasons. Laca was down to a year left on his contract, wouldn't lower his demands, and wasn't performing well anyway, so Brenner got some time and took his chance. 22 goals and 5 assists with the first team(16/4 in the League). While he was kinda inconsistent, he was my best striker by far. 

Last year's star man Musa Barrow had a rough season 2, so taking some additional time on the left was Bukayo Saka, and his 12 goals and 6 assists(10/4 in the League) were fantastic. Even though he only got time in 16 Prem matches, he might be my starter next season.

Hector Bellerin refuses to give up the starting spot at RB. 2 goals and 12 assists(2/8 in the League) and consistent phenomenal performances mean he's not getting usurped anytime soon.

-------------

Overall, another good season, but I really need to finish the deal in Europe sometime soon.

2020-21 Season Review:

League: 1st

1175825503_doublewinner.thumb.PNG.1b14c5f4c8e14e6ec5c4527ef8d68264.PNG

I started the season with the aim to just to qualify for the Champions League. Instead, we went above and beyond expectations and won the title. A strong start propelled us to the summit of the league and by the end of January, we had only lost once. A slight wobble followed in March, where we didn’t win a game (admitted only two games were played) which could have been a warning of an impending dip in form. We were knocked out of both domestic cups earlier than I would have liked and were brutally dumped out of the FA Cup by Tottenham 5-0 in the quarter final. Chelsea dispatched us from the League cup in a penalty shoot-out. In Europe, we were runners up in our group and after besting both Sporting Lisbon and Rangers in the knockouts, we come up against our first real test, Borussia Dortmund. Both games were drawn, we were only denied progressing by a 92nd minute Bellingham away goal in the second leg. They scored as they countered our counter attack, exposing our lack of composure and decision making, as we failed to meaningfully waste time.

We faced five games in April and six in May as scheduling went crazy and fatigue started to set in for key players. Tierney, Partey and Aubameyang all played through a heavy match load and jadedness. Despite underwhelming defeats to Sheffield United and Crystal Palace and a draw in the penultimate game of the season at West Ham. We managed the be the least of the terrible in the top six and were crowned champions in game week thirty-eight.

Squad Review

First Eleven:

Bernd Leno – a truly talismanic goalkeeper, an ever present in all competitions playing a massive 58 games all season. He saved 82% of all the shots he faced this season (highest in all top 5 leagues), He somehow covers 6km a game in his sweeper keeper role and has the highest pass competition of keepers in the league.

He made 2 mistakes leading to goals. One of them being the typical FM goalkeeper error where he kicks the ball straight into the opposing team striker and deflecting into the goal. However, you get at least one of those every season in the game. If being overly critical, he only made 3 key passes and failed to register an assist this season. I do like my goalkeepers to at least make one goal contribution a season, so this is perhaps an area to improve upon. As a reference, Allison at Liverpool made 12 key passes and made 1 assist. If he’s the benchmark, I want Leno to be up there.

Kieran Tierney – at one point of the season, it would not have been hyperbolic to say he was having an incredible season. However, this turned into a solid season as fatigue took hold and performances began to waver. He assisted 13 times in all competitions and was the third highest chance creator in the squad and chipped in with 2 goals.

0.26 dribbles made a game suggests his attacking movement is more impactful when he is off the ball, compared to Bellerin’s 0.50. 17% cross completion is about average.

Defensively, he made 3.08 interceptions per 90, which puts him in the top 20 full backs. He made 0 key tackles (as did the whole squad - possibly the player ratings bug?). Nothing spectacular in terms of distance covered either. I think he was a victim of fatigue and the left side of the team overperforming in the first half and the season and struggling in the late season stage. An area to improve on could be his crossing.

Hector Bellerin – Another player who had a solid yet unspectacular season. He made 51 appearances as the more reserved full back. Yet he chipped in with 5 goals (almost double his XG of 2.75) and 2 assists. Default instructions for a full back on support meant we did not see those dribbles to the by-line followed by a cutback we are accustomed to seeing from Bellerin in this game.

A number of the big clubs are circling, I would be open to offers for him as we are overstocked in this position. Would be a disappointment to lose a team leader, but money talks.

Gabriel – He formed one half of the partnership that was the best defence in the league. 49 starts in all competitions. Won the most headers and had the most key headers in the squad. Promised to be a threat from set-plays but this never really materialised. Solid left sided defender, could probably be improved upon in a few seasons. But right now, he is one of the first names on the team sheet. Probably could improve the penetration of his passing, as David Luiz departs he could step into the boots of the ball-playing central defender if a solution is not found in the market.

David Luiz –Our defensive veteran and symbolic of the team’s defensive resilience. Ever present in the league. He made only the one mistake leading to a goal and was very consistent. We didn’t see that expansive passing we see in real life. Disclipine was ok, 15 yellow cards, but no red cards. Maybe he has finally learnt how not to get sent off? His rating probably falls victim to the player rating bug.

However, he stepped up, literally, when he became our penalty taker. Aubameyang missed two in a row and we switched to David and never looked back. Scoring 9 out of 13. Although, this will be his final season for us. His consistency meant Saliba, Holding and Chambers did not really get a chance to prove themselves and develop. Might keep an eye on his career and try pick him up for our backroom staff.

Thomas Partey – Our true talisman. Viera reincarnate. Quite often we would be trailing a game or would need a late winner and Thomas would come up with the goal. The most clutch player I’ve seen on any FM. 13 goals from a XG of 5.88. If I could find a graphic showing his goal locations a massive percentage of them would be from considerable distance. Came second in goal of the season with the below effort.

1b7093dae037428002b263429d9323c1.gif

He scores reasonably well in metrics such as key passes and chances created per 90, but nothing outlandish. He epitomises the type of player who does not look good statistically. However, watching him he is a moments player. He takes 0.81 shots per 90, yet finishes the season in double figures in terms of goals scored in the league. Chalks up 8 assists, with one of lowest key passes per 90 in the squad. In terms of other goal scoring central midfielders in the top 5 leagues, only De Bruyne outscored him. He is in world-class company with Aouar and Sergej Milinković-Savić  joining him with double figures in goals from central midfield around Europe. These players have over 2.00 shots per 90. Massively overperformed his metrics. Incredible player.

He played most of the season as a ball-winning midfielder, perhaps limiting his creative impulses. However, the deep lying playmaker role for him curtails one of his biggest strengths. His longshots. Looking for the more creative side of his game to become evident next season.

Joe Willock – the midfield partner for Partey, deployed mostly as a box-to-box midfielder. Established himself as a first-teamer, making over 30 starts in the league. We needed a midfielder with athleticism and Willock was the only real candidate to partner Partey, the other players looked unsuited to the role I deployed him in. With only average metrics for ball carrying, passing and chance creation – it is hard to pin down what he actually did. Probably an area open to upgrade in the market. He made good strides in his development, improving in all categories. It’s just not easy to foresee a role for him in future.

Willian – arguably our creative hub, with the highest key passes per 90 in the squad 4.27. Only De Bruyne, Salah and Bruno Fernandes performed better for this metric in Europe’s top leagues. The player who is maligned in real life, was outstanding for us in the number 10 role. He worked hard all season and had the highest distance covered per 90.

Reiss Nelson – a breakthrough season for the winger. He finished the season as the second highest goal scorerscorer at the club, with 15 in all competitions. 7 of which were in the Europa League who made the biggest impact in that competition. Staked a strong claim for being first choice on the left wing of the front four. One of the two players who made more than 1 dribble per 90 in the squad. More of the same next season please. Perhaps translating his Europa league performances into the Premier League.

Nicolas Pepe – our second highest scorer in the league. A massively productive season for the winger. With 20 goals and assists combined, he was a key player for us. Scorer of direct free kick goals and always a goal threat from all positions. Despite all this, those mental attributes concern me. If a big offer comes in, I will seriously consider it.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – He started the season in fierce form, setting the pace for the golden boot. However, his form suffered in the second half of the season as fatigue set in and I probably overplayed him. He was lucky to avoid an injury. The pressing forward role probably isn’t best suited to his strengths. I think a shift toward maximising his poaching potential is the best direction to take to prolong his career at the top level. Lifted the Premier League for the club, Icon. 20 goals in all competitions isn’t his best return, but matches his XG to the number. Some signs he’s still an elite striker, some signs the decline is around the corner.

Other Notable Performances & Development

Bukayo Saka – not a vintage year for Saka. Played over 2000 minutes, but of those were 22 substitute appearance and is probably a victim of his. Pepe’s form from the left, which is also Saka’s best position, limited his starts here. Was used to cover many positions. Needs to add end product to his game. A positional change to a number 10 or even a mezzela in a midfield three could be his future, also needs more PPMs to define his game. Needs a loan if Pepe stays.

Ainsley-Maitland Niles – A rotation option, he didn’t secure a first team position, a decision needs to be made on his future. Made his England debut, but needs more game time.

Dani Ceballos – He didn’t adapt to the early season deep-lying playmaker role, forcing a tactical shift. He didn’t really got a look in after. Will go back to Madrid, as much the same player.

Emile Smith-Rowe – He was understudy to Willian, who was undroppable and limited his game time. He is another one who needs a loan and to add definition in his type of game. Is he a number 10 or is he a winger?

Alexandre Lacazette – this season’s great underperformer. A horrendous season for the striker. 1 league goal all season. An absolute stinker. If any sort of offer comes in, it must definitely be considered. Also, quiet tempted to try him again next season, it couldn’t be any worse could it? Lyon earned a £2m bonus from his transfer deal in 2017. I could hardly think of a less deserved bonus.

Gabriel Martinelli – Injury and the form of Nelson limited his game time. Will most likely go out on loan. If he stays, I will look to build his PPMs to emulate Ronaldo.

Will do a review of the clubs finances in my next post, as the season ticks into 2021/22. Looking like lots of departures.  

Edited by Swills417

16 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

END OF SEASON REVIEW - 2023/2024

Another season with some success but Champions League frustration:

b403266afb.png

PREMIER LEAGUE:

22fde59abb.png

Stayed consistent for the rest of the season, United didn't, and ended up winning the league reasonably comfortably.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE:

e7e6c4517b.png

Still can't quite get over the hump. I think we would have beaten Chelsea if we got past PSG. Why do I think that?

FA CUP:

91ab65666e.png

A very strong run in the Cup to go back-to-back.

CARABAO CUP:

51902197b9.png

No shame losing to Liverpool after a tough run where the backups gave a great account of themselves.

MATCHES:

ddd46c7fed.png

b7d1db6c3d.png

As you can see, very few blemishes. Just really need to get over the CL hump.

INDIVIDUAL HONORS:

c575d2ec10.png

PLAYERS OF NOTE:

Let's first look at the players who made Team of the Year.

Nicolas Pepe stepped up a level this season. 23 goals and 6 assists(15/3 in the League). I had been considering selling him as he hadn't been performing as well as in my previous save, but he may have turned it around now.

Brenner finally broke into the first team squad this season. I picked up him in summer 2021 for a piddling 6M, but Eddie and Laca had kept him out on loan for the last few seasons. Laca was down to a year left on his contract, wouldn't lower his demands, and wasn't performing well anyway, so Brenner got some time and took his chance. 22 goals and 5 assists with the first team(16/4 in the League). While he was kinda inconsistent, he was my best striker by far. 

Last year's star man Musa Barrow had a rough season 2, so taking some additional time on the left was Bukayo Saka, and his 12 goals and 6 assists(10/4 in the League) were fantastic. Even though he only got time in 16 Prem matches, he might be my starter next season.

Hector Bellerin refuses to give up the starting spot at RB. 2 goals and 12 assists(2/8 in the League) and consistent phenomenal performances mean he's not getting usurped anytime soon.

-------------

Overall, another good season, but I really need to finish the deal in Europe sometime soon.

Congrats, nicely done. 

I'm working on a fairly similar system to yours (following the collapse of my system). 

I'm trying to make a SV-HB/AM pairing work in the DM. Is your previous tactic still what you're using? I think you said you were using a SV previously... 

13 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Congrats, nicely done. 

I'm working on a fairly similar system to yours (following the collapse of my system). 

I'm trying to make a SV-HB/AM pairing work in the DM. Is your previous tactic still what you're using? I think you said you were using a SV previously... 

yep! I am still on SV-BWM as the DMs. No change this season

15 hours ago, Swills417 said:

2020-21 Season Review:

League: 1st

1175825503_doublewinner.thumb.PNG.1b14c5f4c8e14e6ec5c4527ef8d68264.PNG

I started the season with the aim to just to qualify for the Champions League. Instead, we went above and beyond expectations and won the title. A strong start propelled us to the summit of the league and by the end of January, we had only lost once. A slight wobble followed in March, where we didn’t win a game (admitted only two games were played) which could have been a warning of an impending dip in form. We were knocked out of both domestic cups earlier than I would have liked and were brutally dumped out of the FA Cup by Tottenham 5-0 in the quarter final. Chelsea dispatched us from the League cup in a penalty shoot-out. In Europe, we were runners up in our group and after besting both Sporting Lisbon and Rangers in the knockouts, we come up against our first real test, Borussia Dortmund. Both games were drawn, we were only denied progressing by a 92nd minute Bellingham away goal in the second leg. They scored as they countered our counter attack, exposing our lack of composure and decision making, as we failed to meaningfully waste time.

We faced five games in April and six in May as scheduling went crazy and fatigue started to set in for key players. Tierney, Partey and Aubameyang all played through a heavy match load and jadedness. Despite underwhelming defeats to Sheffield United and Crystal Palace and a draw in the penultimate game of the season at West Ham. We managed the be the least of the terrible in the top six and were crowned champions in game week thirty-eight.

Squad Review

First Eleven:

Bernd Leno – a truly talismanic goalkeeper, an ever present in all competitions playing a massive 58 games all season. He saved 82% of all the shots he faced this season (highest in all top 5 leagues), He somehow covers 6km a game in his sweeper keeper role and has the highest pass competition of keepers in the league.

He made 2 mistakes leading to goals. One of them being the typical FM goalkeeper error where he kicks the ball straight into the opposing team striker and deflecting into the goal. However, you get at least one of those every season in the game. If being overly critical, he only made 3 key passes and failed to register an assist this season. I do like my goalkeepers to at least make one goal contribution a season, so this is perhaps an area to improve upon. As a reference, Allison at Liverpool made 12 key passes and made 1 assist. If he’s the benchmark, I want Leno to be up there.

Kieran Tierney – at one point of the season, it would not have been hyperbolic to say he was having an incredible season. However, this turned into a solid season as fatigue took hold and performances began to waver. He assisted 13 times in all competitions and was the third highest chance creator in the squad and chipped in with 2 goals.

0.26 dribbles made a game suggests his attacking movement is more impactful when he is off the ball, compared to Bellerin’s 0.50. 17% cross completion is about average.

Defensively, he made 3.08 interceptions per 90, which puts him in the top 20 full backs. He made 0 key tackles (as did the whole squad - possibly the player ratings bug?). Nothing spectacular in terms of distance covered either. I think he was a victim of fatigue and the left side of the team overperforming in the first half and the season and struggling in the late season stage. An area to improve on could be his crossing.

Hector Bellerin – Another player who had a solid yet unspectacular season. He made 51 appearances as the more reserved full back. Yet he chipped in with 5 goals (almost double his XG of 2.75) and 2 assists. Default instructions for a full back on support meant we did not see those dribbles to the by-line followed by a cutback we are accustomed to seeing from Bellerin in this game.

A number of the big clubs are circling, I would be open to offers for him as we are overstocked in this position. Would be a disappointment to lose a team leader, but money talks.

Gabriel – He formed one half of the partnership that was the best defence in the league. 49 starts in all competitions. Won the most headers and had the most key headers in the squad. Promised to be a threat from set-plays but this never really materialised. Solid left sided defender, could probably be improved upon in a few seasons. But right now, he is one of the first names on the team sheet. Probably could improve the penetration of his passing, as David Luiz departs he could step into the boots of the ball-playing central defender if a solution is not found in the market.

David Luiz –Our defensive veteran and symbolic of the team’s defensive resilience. Ever present in the league. He made only the one mistake leading to a goal and was very consistent. We didn’t see that expansive passing we see in real life. Disclipine was ok, 15 yellow cards, but no red cards. Maybe he has finally learnt how not to get sent off? His rating probably falls victim to the player rating bug.

However, he stepped up, literally, when he became our penalty taker. Aubameyang missed two in a row and we switched to David and never looked back. Scoring 9 out of 13. Although, this will be his final season for us. His consistency meant Saliba, Holding and Chambers did not really get a chance to prove themselves and develop. Might keep an eye on his career and try pick him up for our backroom staff.

Thomas Partey – Our true talisman. Viera reincarnate. Quite often we would be trailing a game or would need a late winner and Thomas would come up with the goal. The most clutch player I’ve seen on any FM. 13 goals from a XG of 5.88. If I could find a graphic showing his goal locations a massive percentage of them would be from considerable distance. Came second in goal of the season with the below effort.

1b7093dae037428002b263429d9323c1.gif

He scores reasonably well in metrics such as key passes and chances created per 90, but nothing outlandish. He epitomises the type of player who does not look good statistically. However, watching him he is a moments player. He takes 0.81 shots per 90, yet finishes the season in double figures in terms of goals scored in the league. Chalks up 8 assists, with one of lowest key passes per 90 in the squad. In terms of other goal scoring central midfielders in the top 5 leagues, only De Bruyne outscored him. He is in world-class company with Aouar and Sergej Milinković-Savić  joining him with double figures in goals from central midfield around Europe. These players have over 2.00 shots per 90. Massively overperformed his metrics. Incredible player.

He played most of the season as a ball-winning midfielder, perhaps limiting his creative impulses. However, the deep lying playmaker role for him curtails one of his biggest strengths. His longshots. Looking for the more creative side of his game to become evident next season.

Joe Willock – the midfield partner for Partey, deployed mostly as a box-to-box midfielder. Established himself as a first-teamer, making over 30 starts in the league. We needed a midfielder with athleticism and Willock was the only real candidate to partner Partey, the other players looked unsuited to the role I deployed him in. With only average metrics for ball carrying, passing and chance creation – it is hard to pin down what he actually did. Probably an area open to upgrade in the market. He made good strides in his development, improving in all categories. It’s just not easy to foresee a role for him in future.

Willian – arguably our creative hub, with the highest key passes per 90 in the squad 4.27. Only De Bruyne, Salah and Bruno Fernandes performed better for this metric in Europe’s top leagues. The player who is maligned in real life, was outstanding for us in the number 10 role. He worked hard all season and had the highest distance covered per 90.

Reiss Nelson – a breakthrough season for the winger. He finished the season as the second highest goal scorerscorer at the club, with 15 in all competitions. 7 of which were in the Europa League who made the biggest impact in that competition. Staked a strong claim for being first choice on the left wing of the front four. One of the two players who made more than 1 dribble per 90 in the squad. More of the same next season please. Perhaps translating his Europa league performances into the Premier League.

Nicolas Pepe – our second highest scorer in the league. A massively productive season for the winger. With 20 goals and assists combined, he was a key player for us. Scorer of direct free kick goals and always a goal threat from all positions. Despite all this, those mental attributes concern me. If a big offer comes in, I will seriously consider it.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – He started the season in fierce form, setting the pace for the golden boot. However, his form suffered in the second half of the season as fatigue set in and I probably overplayed him. He was lucky to avoid an injury. The pressing forward role probably isn’t best suited to his strengths. I think a shift toward maximising his poaching potential is the best direction to take to prolong his career at the top level. Lifted the Premier League for the club, Icon. 20 goals in all competitions isn’t his best return, but matches his XG to the number. Some signs he’s still an elite striker, some signs the decline is around the corner.

Other Notable Performances & Development

Bukayo Saka – not a vintage year for Saka. Played over 2000 minutes, but of those were 22 substitute appearance and is probably a victim of his. Pepe’s form from the left, which is also Saka’s best position, limited his starts here. Was used to cover many positions. Needs to add end product to his game. A positional change to a number 10 or even a mezzela in a midfield three could be his future, also needs more PPMs to define his game. Needs a loan if Pepe stays.

Ainsley-Maitland Niles – A rotation option, he didn’t secure a first team position, a decision needs to be made on his future. Made his England debut, but needs more game time.

Dani Ceballos – He didn’t adapt to the early season deep-lying playmaker role, forcing a tactical shift. He didn’t really got a look in after. Will go back to Madrid, as much the same player.

Emile Smith-Rowe – He was understudy to Willian, who was undroppable and limited his game time. He is another one who needs a loan and to add definition in his type of game. Is he a number 10 or is he a winger?

Alexandre Lacazette – this season’s great underperformer. A horrendous season for the striker. 1 league goal all season. An absolute stinker. If any sort of offer comes in, it must definitely be considered. Also, quiet tempted to try him again next season, it couldn’t be any worse could it? Lyon earned a £2m bonus from his transfer deal in 2017. I could hardly think of a less deserved bonus.

Gabriel Martinelli – Injury and the form of Nelson limited his game time. Will most likely go out on loan. If he stays, I will look to build his PPMs to emulate Ronaldo.

Will do a review of the clubs finances in my next post, as the season ticks into 2021/22. Looking like lots of departures.  

What position/role do you play Thomas in? I need those performances, hehe

What season are people in now, I've just finished 9 and only have Tierney, Saka and Martinelli from the original squad (think without checking). Seems strange seeing everyone mention Partey etc when he's long gone from my save 😁

Edited by SortitoutsiVP

11 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

What season are people in now, I've just finished 9 and only have Tierney, Saka and Martinelli from the original squad (think without checking). Seems strange seeing everyone mention Partey etc when he's long gone from my save 😁

I just finished January of my first season, this is my second save.

Edited by RogerC

10 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I am in feburary season one. I scrapped the save I started with as I finally figured out how to use my demo save. Unbeaten in all competitions so far. No transfers made.

I also decided to give myself a challenge, where I tried to put us in the semi-relegation battle we were in mid-december. Unfortunately I think I made us a bit too bad, as we are bottom and 6 points off safety. Arteta resigned mid-december and I was appointed late jan. I am still in the first season with no transfers made.

18 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I have started so many saves get to about 3rd or 4th league match and decided to play around with  my tactic, then I when I'm happy with my tactic, I start again. I have started a save and we're about to play Liverpool in the Charity Shield........if I don't decide to play 'Tinkerman' again 😂

52 minutes ago, RogerC said:

He plays as a ball-winning midfielder on support in a 4-2-3-1 gegenpress system. 

I occasionally encourage risky passing from him when we need some cutting edge. 

1 hour ago, RogerC said:

I play him as either mc/dlp, mc/mezz and I've even played him as an am/att and he has performed well in every one of them. 4-2-3-1

Bloody Liverpool done it again, they did it to me before in one of my deleted saves. We're 1-0 up Aubama-bloodclaat-yang (AFTV viewers will understand) after 2 mins, THEN, 89mins 49secs on the clock, free kick 20 yds out. Up steps Virgil van Dijk, 💥BANG, 1-1......penalties. Liverpool start, we're 3-3 and A-Armstrong puts it wide, ESR 4-3, Origi with a must score penalty, great save by Leno, so we win 4-3 on penalties. Time to celebrate 🍾🍾.

First league match Tottenham away, so 3 points for us straight away. 🍺🍺 luvly jubbly

What a start to a NLD, Holjberg sent off after 3 mins for a bad foul on Aubameyang. Watch this space............What does humble pie taste like....I really wouldn't know

Tottenham 1  Arsenal 5  A fantastic attacking display at the drain in the early kick off....
0-1  14' Auba
0-2  38' Auba
0-3. 53' Pepe
0-4. 75' Elneny
0-5  83' Lacazette
1-5  90' Moura

4 hours ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I'm about a handful of games off finishing my second season. Considering selling Partey tbh man, he's been frustrating - difficult second season syndrome, haha

2 hours ago, RossoneriGunner said:

What a start to a NLD, Holjberg sent off after 3 mins for a bad foul on Aubameyang. Watch this space............What does humble pie taste like....I really wouldn't know

Tottenham 1  Arsenal 5  A fantastic attacking display at the drain in the early kick off....
0-1  14' Auba
0-2  38' Auba
0-3. 53' Pepe
0-4. 75' Elneny
0-5  83' Lacazette
1-5  90' Moura

looks like you won't need to change your tactics soon. In the save I scrapped, Elneny was a bit of a goal machine, scoring a hatrick, a two goal haul, and sometimes chipping in with the odd header, pen, or long range strike

1 minute ago, Mr. VerticalTikiTaka said:

looks like you won't need to change your tactics soon. In the save I scrapped, Elneny was a bit of a goal machine, scoring a hatrick, a two goal haul, and sometimes chipping in with the odd header, pen, or long range strike

Including the game against our 2nd XI  we were on a 10 match unbeaten run, then we go to the Etihad and lose 2-1 which means Man City leapfrog us to go top after 3 games. That might not last long as we were the early KO and Leeds, Wolves and Man Utd have 6 points and could go top with a win later on.

Pepe has been brilliant, up in the 7's but today......5.9. All our passes went straight to a blue shirt and we just stood there with the ball allowing City players just to take it off of us, no free flowing quick passing game we use. Rabbits in headlights come to mind.

1 hour ago, RossoneriGunner said:

Including the game against our 2nd XI  we were on a 10 match unbeaten run, then we go to the Etihad and lose 2-1 which means Man City leapfrog us to go top after 3 games. That might not last long as we were the early KO and Leeds, Wolves and Man Utd have 6 points and could go top with a win later on.

Pepe has been brilliant, up in the 7's but today......5.9. All our passes went straight to a blue shirt and we just stood there with the ball allowing City players just to take it off of us, no free flowing quick passing game we use. Rabbits in headlights come to mind.

I've noticed that wingers are always rubbish against top teams, for example whenever I lose v liverpool or city, it is normally my winger that gets the low rating, such as 5.9 or 6 and so on. should I just not play with wingers against these teams?