Jump to content

FM and apple silicon


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Wasn't that the whole reason you got it

It wasn't the whole reason, but seeing how it performs so well for users in this thread and the benchmark thread made me pull the trigger. I was originally going to wait until the M1X/M2 got released as I didn't expect FM to be so quick as shown in the benchmarks.

Regardless, I still needed a new laptop as I'm on my mid-2013 MBA and it can't handle FM the way I like to play. On top of that it has also started to slow down in general and the battery health has depleted significantly.

7 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Enjoy!

Thought I would receive it today as it got the connecting flight to my city in the morning, but the shipping company is super busy and it's going to be another day until they release it for delivery. Can't complain as Apple gave me a delivery date of December 18. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Let us know how the journey man save goes. I'd love to hear performance after 10/20/30 years. 

Yeah mate, will do.

I saw your comments on the benchmark thread and I reckon you make a solid case. It's one thing for a laptop to be able to handle a few leagues over the course of a couple seasons, but I'm interested in long term Journeyman saves as well.

But I do plan on keeping everyone updated with my experience on here once I begin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, анонимный said:

Yeah mate, will do.

I saw your comments on the benchmark thread and I reckon you make a solid case. It's one thing for a laptop to be able to handle a few leagues over the course of a couple seasons, but I'm interested in long term Journeyman saves as well.

But I do plan on keeping everyone updated with my experience on here once I begin.

Honestly I haven't conversed with anyone who has really tested the Mac M1 chip.

The conversations quickly turn to PC vs Mac and then to personal insults.

Most people arent really doing anything aggressive with the Mac just general day to day that even a low end laptop can handle.

I have yet to speak with someone who has a Mac M1 to reasonably chat about it.

Usually turns to how great it is on batrery, but who isnt near a plug anyway? How is that important to people who generally use it indoors anyway? 

I dont get that argument.

The other being how fast it starts up, open the lid and it turns on.

My 5 year old laptop does that. Rarely is there a slow boot up.

 

There is a lot of hysteria around it. Just cant wait for someone to really use it and do something with it besides browse the internet and watch youtube videos.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ipswich Staying Up said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but the update has really dragged down performance for me on my M1 MBP... been running perfectly and now the in match experience has become very jolty and low FPS... any ideas??

No, I just did all three benchmarks on FM 21.1.3 and FM 21.2 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, анонимный said:

Have you tried the 3D match engine since updating? Anything to report performance wise?

Playing now and my 3D replays don't seem bad. I'll play the next match in 3D and report back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, анонимный said:

Please do. My M1 MBP is en route with the delivery driver :D

Would like to know if I should update to Big Sur 11.1 straight away or not.

I don't notice any lag or stutters or anything. Looks slightly sharper too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very specific question for you lot. I'm American but live in Europe. If I purchase a MacMini M1 from America and use it in Europe, will there be an issue with the 220V to 110V Voltage if I use a simple adapter? Can I get the European pronged AC Power Cord? Thanks in advance...

PS I'm pretty sure the only person on this forum that wants a M1 more than me is @Smurf ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jessejesster said:

Very specific question for you lot. I'm American but live in Europe. If I purchase a MacMini M1 from America and use it in Europe, will there be an issue with the 220V to 110V Voltage if I use a simple adapter? Can I get the European pronged AC Power Cord? Thanks in advance...

PS I'm pretty sure the only person on this forum that wants a M1 more than me is @Smurf ;)

 

I don't have an M1 but the charger for my 2019 MBP is rated 100-240V so I can't imagine it will be different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 old MacBooks one is 2011 and one 2013 so I decided to get a new laptop. So enter the 13" MacBook Pro M1 which was delivered on Tuesday 15th. It is absolutely awesome and FM21 runs like a dream. I loaded all the downloads faces, kits, trophies, real name fix, etc. I'm hoping to start an Arsenal career today or tomorrow. So far I love the M1 (not the motorway 😂)

Edited by RossoneriGunner
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RossoneriGunner said:

I have 2 old MacBooks one is 2011 and one 2013 so I decided to get a new laptop. So enter the 13" MacBook Pro M1 which was delivered on Tuesday 15th. It is absolutely awesome and FM21 runs like a dream. I loaded all the downloads faces, kits, trophies, real name fix, etc. I'm hoping to start an Arsenal career today or tomorrow. So far I love the M1 (not the motorway 😂)

Awesome! What configuration MacBook Pro do you have? Also I am curious if you will experience the same bug as I have experienced with Arsenal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Harper said:

I don't notice any lag or stutters or anything. Looks slightly sharper too.

I am on FM 21.2 but not on Big Sur 11.1 and haven't experienced any issues with the match engine. With Highlights and replays on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Smurf said:

Honestly I haven't conversed with anyone who has really tested the Mac M1 chip.

The conversations quickly turn to PC vs Mac and then to personal insults.

Most people arent really doing anything aggressive with the Mac just general day to day that even a low end laptop can handle.

I have yet to speak with someone who has a Mac M1 to reasonably chat about it.

Usually turns to how great it is on batrery, but who isnt near a plug anyway? How is that important to people who generally use it indoors anyway? 

I dont get that argument.

The other being how fast it starts up, open the lid and it turns on.

My 5 year old laptop does that. Rarely is there a slow boot up.

 

There is a lot of hysteria around it. Just cant wait for someone to really use it and do something with it besides browse the internet and watch youtube videos.

 

The Affinity Suite and Final Cut Pro both work very well if that’s adds anything lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ipswich Staying Up said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but the update has really dragged down performance for me on my M1 MBP... been running perfectly and now the in match experience has become very jolty and low FPS... any ideas??

Is this still the case? What resolution are you running the system in? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

The Affinity Suite and Final Cut Pro both work very well if that’s adds anything lol

Yes, Affinity Suite isn't very demanding - it's good, but not quite at the Adobe standard yet.

It's very good though, I have my eye on it. 

And the only info on a processor for Final Cut Pro is the Core 2 Duo - which is very low. 

 

Both of those programmes aren't exactly demanding in tasks either.

I'd FM is probably the most demanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 16/12/2020 at 17:07, Smurf said:

Where are you getting single core and multicore ratings for M1 chips? 

 

On 16/12/2020 at 17:14, Smurf said:

 

I don't know where you got those scores from

i3 10300
Single Thread Rating: 2685

i5 10600 
Single Thread Rating: 2872

 

 

Geekbench 5. Now hands up I was initially looking at the wrong i3 processor, but the scores are nowhere near what you claim

 

i3:

image.png.64f52679d4fd403fbe58889ad17075ef.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5127877
 

i5:

image.png.de8d549f00c2bc482f3bee787886468e.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5387150

 

M1:

image.png.9ac54bee5e1f1e734127e26fec59e71b.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5397160

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Smurf said:

There is a lot of hysteria around it. Just cant wait for someone to really use it and do something with it besides browse the internet and watch youtube videos.

 

If you've not managed to find feedback on its performance on intensive tasks, you've really not been looking. There must be 100 different YouTube videos of people doing various video, image and coding work and showing comparisons vs other systems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TopToffee said:

 

Geekbench 5. Now hands up I was initially looking at the wrong i3 processor, but the scores are nowhere near what you claim

 

i3:

image.png.64f52679d4fd403fbe58889ad17075ef.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5127877
 

i5:

image.png.de8d549f00c2bc482f3bee787886468e.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5387150

 

M1:

image.png.9ac54bee5e1f1e734127e26fec59e71b.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5397160

It depends which benchmark sites/tests you're talking because they'll all score things differently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TopToffee said:

 

Geekbench 5. Now hands up I was initially looking at the wrong i3 processor, but the scores are nowhere near what you claim

 

i3:

image.png.64f52679d4fd403fbe58889ad17075ef.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5127877
 

i5:

image.png.de8d549f00c2bc482f3bee787886468e.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5387150

 

M1:

image.png.9ac54bee5e1f1e734127e26fec59e71b.png

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5397160

Yeh those scores are miles apart.

But I dont think they are representing at the moment.

I took a look at geekbench and I am lost on what the heck they are testing.

Like if you benchmark an M1 out of the box. Vs. a 5 year old laptop.

I just dont understand. Its probably similar to amount of sampless.

 

If you test some thing good against an easy test of course scores are high.

I used CPU benchmark. I find it reliable and its results tally with the benchmarking thread.

Thats my source. FM Related performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yeh those scores are miles apart.

But I dont think they are representing at the moment.

I took a look at geekbench and I am lost on what the heck they are testing.

Like if you benchmark an M1 out of the box. Vs. a 5 year old laptop.

I just dont understand. Its probably similar to amount of sampless.

 

If you test some thing good against an easy test of course scores are high.

I used CPU benchmark. I find it reliable and its results tally with the benchmarking thread.

Thats my source. FM Related performance.

Geekbench is a pretty standard benchmark. One of the most widely used.

And I selected the fastest (windows) instance of both those intel processors... so unless EVERY instance of those processors on the entirety of geekbench is in a 5yr old laptop.... which seems unlikely, let's be honest

No offence mate, but you're clutching at straws. Are there intel processors that have comparable or faster results than the M1? Yes (particularly on multi core)... Neither of the two you quoted are it though.

Edited by TopToffee
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Is this still the case? What resolution are you running the system in? 

It seems to be ok after I changed the settings down to medium for quality etc and then changed them back up to high again. This has stopped the stutters. It was also almost impossible to tell any discernible visual difference when moving between high and medium!! 

Edited by Ipswich Staying Up
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TopToffee said:

Geekbench is a pretty standard benchmark. One of the most widely used.

And I selected the fastest (windows) instance of both those intel processors... so unless EVERY instance of those processors on the entirety of geekbench is in a 5yr old laptop.... which seems unlikely, let's be honest

No offence mate, but you're clutching at straws. Are there intel processors that have comparable or faster results than the M1? Yes (particularly on multi core)... Neither of the two you quoted are it though.

Fair enough.

Never used geekbench before. Pardon my ignorance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ipswich Staying Up said:

It seems to be ok after I changed the settings down to medium for quality etc and then changed them back up to high again. This has stopped the stutters. It was also almost impossible to tell any discernible visual difference when moving between high and medium!! 

I experienced the same after updating to BigSur 11.1 and FM 21.2

I've also noticed the Mac generating a lot more heat after a couple of games. Something's off :(

edit: cc @Neil Brock

Edited by armandolanda
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Is this still the case? What resolution are you running the system in? 

 

On 17/12/2020 at 23:05, Ipswich Staying Up said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but the update has really dragged down performance for me on my M1 MBP... been running perfectly and now the in match experience has become very jolty and low FPS... any ideas??

 

9 hours ago, Ipswich Staying Up said:

It seems to be ok after I changed the settings down to medium for quality etc and then changed them back up to high again. This has stopped the stutters. It was also almost impossible to tell any discernible visual difference when moving between high and medium!! 

 

39 minutes ago, armandolanda said:

I experienced the same after updating to BigSur 11.1 and FM 21.2

I've also noticed the Mac generating a lot more heat after a couple of games. Something's off :(

edit: cc @Neil Brock

Am trying FM 21.2 but not yet Big Sur 11.1 - issue seems to be that High is now performing how Very High did before. I have seen people note in the general feedback thread the game looks better now. To be high now looks like very high did, and medium now looks like what high did. I lose the same FPS I did on very high on high now. Medium looks like high did and still 60 FPS.

High was making the machine warm to touch but not hot. I am dropping to medium as that looks like it did for me before on high. Only 1 game in, but that seems to be the "issue" just that the game looks a bit better than before the update so a small increase in power required?

edit: Medium also seems to make the laptop warmer than high did before. It's not hot but yes warmer than before

edit 2: it's a lot warmer than before.

Edited by craiigman
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, craiigman said:

 

 

 

Am trying FM 21.2 but not yet Big Sur 11.1 - issue seems to be that High is now performing how Very High did before. I have seen people note in the general feedback thread the game looks better now. To be high now looks like very high did, and medium now looks like what high did. I lose the same FPS I did on very high on high now. Medium looks like high did and still 60 FPS.

High was making the machine warm to touch but not hot. I am dropping to medium as that looks like it did for me before on high. Only 1 game in, but that seems to be the "issue" just that the game looks a bit better than before the update so a small increase in power required?

edit: Medium also seems to make the laptop warmer than high did before. It's not hot but yes warmer than before

edit 2: it's a lot warmer than before.

I did notice mine was warm when I ran through benchmarks A-C, I did them once on 21.1.3 and then upgraded to 21.2 and reran them. I had been playing on 2D prior to the 21.2 update, but switched to check out the reported stutter and haven’t switched back. Must be the graphics engine working the machine more causing the warmth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, we believe this is an issue related to a problem with the how the upscaling should be working on Mac - it's not doing so when the game first launches, so would suggest if you change your resolution in game (either directly or via changing say into windowed) this should then rectify this and work as intended. 

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay, we believe this is an issue related to a problem with the how the upscaling should be working on Mac - it's not doing so when the game first launches, so would suggest if you change your resolution in game (either directly or via changing say into windowed) this should then rectify this and work as intended. 

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

I think you may be on to something. Runs remarkably smoother after restarting in windowed mode (then switching back to full screen). Hopefully it can be fixed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, armandolanda said:

I think you may be on to something. Runs remarkably smoother after restarting in windowed mode (then switching back to full screen). Hopefully it can be fixed!

Did you have to close down the game while it was in windowed mode, open it again in windowed mode, then switch to full screen again? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, armandolanda said:

I simply closed the game, force-opened it in windowed mode, then switched back to full screen.

Thank you! This worked really well and the match now runs smoothly. 

The only negative is I can now only see two sections of info on my Touchline Tablet whereas previously I had 4. Any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

thinking about a new MacBook M1 and FM21. I use to play 10 countries with around 20 playable divisions. 
 

Not sure if I should buy Air 8 Ram, PRO 8 Ram or PRO 16 Ram. Don’t want it to get slow after 10-15 seasons... and I am not sure about the lack of fans om the AIR.

How would you do? 😊

/O

Edited by Oskar
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Oskar said:

Hi,

 

thinking about a new MacBook M1 and FM21. I use to play 10 countries with around 20 playable divisions. 
 

Not sure if I should buy Air 8 Ram, PRO 8 Ram or PRO 16 Ram. Don’t want it to get slow after 10-15 seasons... and I am not sure about the lack of fans om the AIR.

How would you do? 😊

/O

Did you read the benchmark thread?
 

I think your setup is comparable to benchmark A. This benchmark is done after 1 season in. All M1 Macs got about 2 minutes on that benchmark. Look at where they rank.

I have the MacBook Air 8gb and I can assure fanless hasn’t been an issue so far. I would say it’s great because the operation is silent.

The fan on the pro only kicks in after heavy loads for longer periods. So if your usage will generate heavy loads for long periods than you should go for the pro. If you are planning to run VM’s and/or like 20 apps at the same time than you should go for 16gb.

I feel like with these 3 choices you can really save money if you are not a (really) heavy user. The performance is so comparable you won’t notice a difference.

Edited by MoosAlbo
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MoosAlbo said:

Did you read the benchmark thread?
 

I think your setup is comparable to benchmark A. This benchmark is done after 10 seasons in. All M1 Macs got about 2 minutes on that benchmark. Look at where they rank.

I have the MacBook Air 8gb and I can assure fanless hasn’t been an issue so far. I would see it’s great because the operation is silent.

The fan on the pro only kicks in after heavy loads for longer periods. So if your usage will generate heavy loads for long periods than you should go for the pro. If you are planning to run VM’s and/or like 20 apps at the same time then you should go for 16gb.

I feel like with these 3 choices you can really save money if you are not a (really) heavy user. The performance is so comparable you won’t notice a difference.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MoosAlbo said:

Did you read the benchmark thread?
 

I think your setup is comparable to benchmark A. This benchmark is done after 10 seasons in. All M1 Macs got about 2 minutes on that benchmark. Look at where they rank.

I have the MacBook Air 8gb and I can assure fanless hasn’t been an issue so far. I would see it’s great because the operation is silent.

The fan on the pro only kicks in after heavy loads for longer periods. So if your usage will generate heavy loads for long periods than you should go for the pro. If you are planning to run VM’s and/or like 20 apps at the same time then you should go for 16gb.

I feel like with these 3 choices you can really save money if you are not a (really) heavy user. The performance is so comparable you won’t notice a difference.

The benchmarks are all 1 season in, not 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The benchmarks are all 1 season in, not 10.

Ok!

Still not sure what to buy 😊 But if only FM is running, 8 Ram should work then. If was thinking about Air because I only hade PRO before, but PRO feels more powerful...but don’t know if I need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Oskar said:

Ok!

Still not sure what to buy 😊 But if only FM is running, 8 Ram should work then. If was thinking about Air because I only hade PRO before, but PRO feels more powerful...but don’t know if I need it.

Yes, 8GB RAM is plenty for FM.

In terms of whether you should buy the Air or the Pro, it's very hard to say.  We only have benchmarks for the M1 based Pro at the moment and not the Air, but some people on this thread have reported good performance with the Air as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...