[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

14 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I aim to replace Lindelof straight away this time, and I still have Maguire in season 3 of my current save but he's now 4th choice. It seems tough to remove Maguire but I haven't continually tried to. 

For CB's I have: Skriniar, Demiral, Milenkovic and Maguire. 

On my new save I have a shortlist including the 3 above: Todibo, Gvardiol, De Ligt, Eric Garcia, Bastoni, Gimenez plus a few more.

Thanks bud, love the look of Bastoni and Gvardiol, how much did you manage to get lindelof out the door for? Also what’s everyone done with martial? Doesn’t work for me but like keeping original players in the team for some reason 😂

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, McClane29 said:

Has anyone tried out, Pau Torres?

Left-footed and prefers to play on the left of a back two.

Yeah he's on my list also, but I prefer Bastoni for a left footed CB. Bastoni went for under 25m in season 3 in my save as Inter didn't want him! I already have 4 great CB's though so he wasn't needed. I'll be going for him in my new Utd save though.

7 hours ago, RashDecisions said:

Thanks bud, love the look of Bastoni and Gvardiol, how much did you manage to get lindelof out the door for? Also what’s everyone done with martial? Doesn’t work for me but like keeping original players in the team for some reason 😂

Not on my PC right now but I think I sold him for 25m to Valencia, season 2. Selling him in the first window would mean you get a poor amount for him, something like 15-18m. On the flip side of that, players are also cheaper for us to buy in the first window so it evens itself out. I paid 65m for Skriniar in season 3 but you can get him for 48m in season 1.

@themadsheep2001How did you manage to get clubs interested in your players in season 1? From what I've tested, I get the message saying most clubs have already concluded their business. Literally nobody will bid for Lindelof or an acceptable amount for Fred or Bailly.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah he's on my list also, but I prefer Bastoni for a left footed CB. Bastoni went for under 25m in season 3 in my save as Inter didn't want him! I already have 4 great CB's though so he wasn't needed. I'll be going for him in my new Utd save though.

Not on my PC right now but I think I sold him for 25m to Valencia, season 2. Selling him in the first window would mean you get a poor amount for him, something like 15-18m. On the flip side of that, players are also cheaper for us to buy in the first window so it evens itself out. I paid 65m for Skriniar in season 3 but you can get him for 48m in season 1.

@themadsheep2001How did you manage to get clubs interested in your players in season 1? From what I've tested, I get the message saying most clubs have already concluded their business. Literally nobody will bid for Lindelof or an acceptable amount for Fred or Bailly.

I left them on unspecified. Lindelof only happened when I'd bought Skriniar from Inter. Bailly and Fred went to Ajax after i managed to **** them both off hugely. Not sure if Ajax had done business to afford them though. 

I've done it before where Lindelof and Bailly have turned down contracts and left me shafted so this is not a sure fire plan by any means. Its super risky and can leave you up **** creek

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I left them on unspecified. Lindelof only happened when I'd bought Skriniar from Inter. Bailly and Fred went to Ajax after i managed to **** them both off hugely. Not sure if Ajax had done business to afford them though. 

I've done it before where Lindelof and Bailly have turned down contracts and left me shafted so this is not a sure fire plan by any means. Its super risky and can leave you up **** creek

Interesting, cheers. Looks like I'll just have to hope everything goes my way, I'll make sure I sign Skriniar first too. Still got my current Utd save in season 3 and we are looking good for the title although not sure if I have the motivation to finish it off now. I won't be deleting it though incase the new one goes wrong lol. I'm not sure if how much leagues you load affects transfer deals in the first window, how many do you have loaded?

6 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Interesting, cheers. Looks like I'll just have to hope everything goes my way, I'll make sure I sign Skriniar first too. Still got my current Utd save in season 3 and we are looking good for the title although not sure if I have the motivation to finish it off now. I won't be deleting it though incase the new one goes wrong lol. I'm not sure if how much leagues you load affects transfer deals in the first window, how many do you have loaded?

I don't spend more than 50% up front on a deal. This allows you to stretch your wage budget into your funds more. Get your must haves first. Martinez I got lucky with begging to the board, went back and tested that with Martinez having been successful, failed the next 5 times before board agreed... so its not a done deal by any means

A lot, cant remember how many, but the attached file is what I load up

long term save.fmf

26 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I don't spend more than 50% up front on a deal. This allows you to stretch your wage budget into your funds more. Get your must haves first. Martinez I got lucky with begging to the board, went back and tested that with Martinez having been successful, failed the next 5 times before board agreed... so its not a done deal by any means

A lot, cant remember how many, but the attached file is what I load up

long term save.fmf 19.73 kB · 0 downloads

Cheers. Was that someone else other than Martinez you got the board to sign for you?

4 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Cheers. Was that someone else other than Martinez you got the board to sign for you?

No only Martinez, but i went back to a save before and tried again just to see, because I wanted to know what it did to finances, i know in older FMs it'd screw you in the future cos they'd go mad on spending

25 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

No only Martinez, but i went back to a save before and tried again just to see, because I wanted to know what it did to finances, i know in older FMs it'd screw you in the future cos they'd go mad on spending

Ah okay, cheers.

On 29/03/2021 at 14:32, McClane29 said:

I had him on my first save and felt he was a good defender but he needs someone with pace to cover against teams with quick attacks. 

If you're looking for someone for that position Badashiele has been immense for me since bringing him in and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. I've used him with tuanzebe or Maguire this season and had the best defence in the league and he's chipped in with 8 goals over the course with the FA Cup and champions League final on the horizon.

Two games left of season 3 and I've won the premiership on goal difference for the second time in three seasons. On for the treble with an fa cup final Vs Chelsea and a champions League final Vs Liverpool.

Mason playing as a striker has bagged 36 goals so far this season forcing Kane to the bench. Kane has only scored 15 this season with only 6 coming from open play. Rashford on the left with 16G 18A and zaniolio on the right with 15G 13A. This leads me to my question.

I've managed to snag an unsettled Haaland for 72mil (potentially rising to 85) but this leaves me in a conundrum as to fitting these 4 into my starting lineup next season. Part of me wants to try a two striker system but I'm reluctant to play a 442 as I've still got the likes of Bruno and pogba on the books. I'm also fairly averse to not playing wingers as diallo has been on fire since Christmas and shoretire is looking ready to be slowly integrated. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh one more question actually, at what age do you guys start looking to move players on? 

I've been wary to think about moving on the likes of pogba and Maguire due to their squad status am I likely to have problems if I love them on ?

1 hour ago, milan_manutd said:

So I have 450mil£ budget and last 2 summer windows I didn't spend big. Bailly and Maguire left and Juve accept 120mil for De Light - WP awaiting.

Sancho saga is put on hold, for now.

How much did you get for Maguire?

19 hours ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Oh one more question actually, at what age do you guys start looking to move players on? 

I've been wary to think about moving on the likes of pogba and Maguire due to their squad status am I likely to have problems if I love them on ?

I know a lot of people move players on when they hit the 30s. but for me personally I don’t look at the age.

Fm20 for example Bruno was still my best player at 32-33.

19 hours ago, Monsieur-Beev said:

Depends how they do really but usually 32+ peak for players are around 28-31 so I tend to get the best and then sell off unless they are top class players in which case I keep until they retire.

16 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

How much did you get for Maguire?

Only 8mil because his contract expiring on summer and he's 32. And offload 190k £ p/w of his wage.

edit: it was 10mil :D

But I get 18mil for Bailly.

image.png.4a46e4f3058a7a08d39e1bb4def1d11e.png

Edited by milan_manutd

Read through the whole thread past few days. 

I believe there is potential for the current Man Utd side to replicate the great 06-09 side that SAF had formed. Of course you need signings.

Rooney - Rashford/Haaland?

Tevez - Bruno

CR7 - Martial/Sancho?

Giggs - Mata

Scholes - Bruno

Carrick - McTominay/Bentancur?

Brown - AwB

Evra - Alex Telles

Ferdinand - Lindelof

Vidic - Maguire/Skriniar?

VDS - Henderson/Donnarumma?

I havent really been free to play recently to remember the attributes but this the rough idea. 

Im sure @themadsheep2001is better than me at this. :)

Edited by skyline72
Change player

4 hours ago, skyline72 said:

I believe there is potential for the current Man Utd side to replicate the great 06-09 side that SAF had formed. Of course you need signings.

Tevez - Bruno

CR7 - Martial/Sancho?

Giggs - Mata

Scholes - Bruno

Brown - AwB

Evra - Alex Telles

Ferdinand - Lindelof

I havent really been free to play recently to remember the attributes but this the rough idea. 

Scholes- Pogba

Carrick- Garner/Mctominay, saul 

Giggs- Rashy/another winger who can dribble, cross and a great passer.

CR7- Martial

Rooney- Bruno

Tevez- Haaland

Would be my changes, good idea though, need some tactical tinkering with players cause that midfield would get overun, wouldnt trust lindelof as rio though :lol:

2 hours ago, BigV said:

Scholes- Pogba

Carrick- Garner/Mctominay, saul 

Giggs- Rashy/another winger who can dribble, cross and a great passer.

CR7- Martial

Rooney- Bruno

Tevez- Haaland

Would be my changes, good idea though, need some tactical tinkering with players cause that midfield would get overun, wouldnt trust lindelof as rio though :lol:

Giggs doesnt dribble as much at that stage of his career, I believe Mata suit that role better.

Of course everyone sees football differently.

McTominay is definitely Fletcher. Hahaha

Anyone ever tried that edited mod / database with 24 teams in the Premier League? Kinda tempted to go with it, I always liked the idea of 46 games / season. Not sure if and how it affects players, training and preseason in the long run?

On 03/04/2021 at 12:41, skyline72 said:

Tevez - Bruno

CR7 - Martial/Sancho?

Giggs - Mata

Scholes - Bruno

Brown - AwB

Evra - Alex Telles

Ferdinand - Lindelof

So I'm doing mine with Ronaldo playing predominantly from the left, mostly because i sold Mata among others, so I dont need that fading left side, but you could easily adapt my template to it, I'll try and post monday in the tactical thread

but mine looks like:

Rooney - Martial for now, will be Haaland next season

Tevez - Lautaro Martinez

CR7 - Ronaldo

Giggs - N/A but you could use Mata

Scholes - Bruno

Carrick -Bentancur

Fletcher - McTominay

Brown - AwB

Evra - Shaw or Telles 

Ferdinand - Gimenez (also being retrained at RB so could play that really defensive Brown role, with Maguire playing "Vidic"

Vidic - Skriniar (Maguire on bench)

VDS - DDG/Henderson/Donnarumma (potential target for next season

Park  - Carlos Soler

Hargreaves - future target of Nahitan Nandez

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

So I'm doing mine with Ronaldo playing predominantly from the left, mostly because i sold Mata among others, so I dont need that fading left side, but you could easily adapt my template to it, I'll try and post monday in the tactical thread

but mine looks like:

Rooney - Martial for now, will be Haaland next season

Tevez - Lautaro Martinez

CR7 - Ronaldo

Giggs - N/A but you could use Mata

Scholes - Bruno

Carrick -Bentancur

Fletcher - McTominay

Brown - AwB

Evra - Shaw or Telles 

Ferdinand - Gimenez (also being retrained at RB so could play that really defensive Brown role, with Maguire playing "Vidic"

Vidic - Skriniar (Maguire on bench)

VDS - DDG/Henderson/Donnarumma (potential target for next season

Park  - Carlos Soler

Hargreaves - future target of Nahitan Nandez

You signed CR7? Or you meant Rashford? Hahahah

I've not started a new Man U save since the last update because I'm having fun still the the beta save I have. I will be starting one soon however, what I'm interested in is what people have done with the Henderson/De Gea situation. Is it worth gradually phasing Henderson in (I know Donnaruma is possibly available on a free in January) or have you gone the whole hog and sold De Gea at the end of the first season. In the beta save I'm now in my 3rd season (not been playing much) and managed to sign Donnaruma on a free which allowed me to send Hendo out on loan again in the 2nd season. De Gea just continued to decline as the second season progressed so I slowly phased him out and sold him on. 

Had my biggest ever CL knockout win last night, might even be the most goals I've scored in any competitive game on FM. Bit of a surprise really because Gala were pretty resilient in the first leg, Muslera is one of the best keepers we've faced and on the two occasions we found a way past him they managed to equalise shortly after. Then this happens in the second leg...

0wpw56n.png

Bruno's first hat-trick and all of his goals were from open play :D

3 hours ago, Smaldini said:

Had my biggest ever CL knockout win last night, might even be the most goals I've scored in any competitive game on FM. Bit of a surprise really because Gala were pretty resilient in the first leg, Muslera is one of the best keepers we've faced and on the two occasions we found a way past him they managed to equalise shortly after. Then this happens in the second leg...

0wpw56n.png

Bruno's first hat-trick and all of his goals were from open play :D

What season are you in? I notice you have Todibo, how much did he cost you and is your save before the January update?

Dunno if bringing in Martinez on top of Haaland would be a bit much considering I play a 4231. I suppose at least that would stop other teams from taking either player, it would mean I have the 2 best strikers in the game imo. Problem is I usually end up playing Greenwood up top as his finishing gets too good to have him out on the wing imo, but that would mean I have 3 top strikers for one position. Maybe I could sell Martinez eventually depending on how he performs. Either way it looks like I'll definitely sell Martial, probably in season 2, then potentially Martinez later on. Greenwood of course can play on either wing equally well due to his two footedness, so maybe if Martinez performs amazingly well then I'll have to accept that Greenwood would have to be a winger sometimes. Obviously Greenwood plays at RWF irl, can any of you see him staying there for the rest of his career or do you think he'll eventually move up top? 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

31 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

What season are you in? I notice you have Todibo, how much did he cost you and is your save before the January update?

Third season, halfway through March on the original database. I paid £50m for Todibo.

10 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Dunno if bringing in Martinez on top of Haaland would be a bit much considering I play a 4231. I suppose at least that would stop other teams from taking either player, it would mean I have the 2 best strikers in the game imo. Problem is I usually end up playing Greenwood up top as his finishing gets too good to have him out on the wing imo, but that would mean I have 3 top strikers for one position. Maybe I could sell Martinez eventually depending on how he performs. Either way it looks like I'll definitely sell Martial, probably in season 2, then potentially Martinez later on. Greenwood of course can play on either wing equally well due to his two footedness, so maybe if Martinez performs amazingly well then I'll have to accept that Greenwood would have to be a winger sometimes. Obviously Greenwood plays at RWF irl, can any of you see him staying there for the rest of his career or do you think he'll eventually move up top? 

Buying them both would be overkill and probably ruin your "realistic" save to some extent and probably make it 10x easier for you which is just not what you want when they already sit back. At least one of them will end up crying that they dont get game time and it wont be greenwood.

I've got greenwood at RW as an IF-S/A and hes played 19 games, scored 10 and assisted 4-6 from what I remember by mid feb/tuning to march. Seeing what he can become he'll probably move up top but at the same time I want haaland making that his spot while I sell martial come summer. I got dortmund to agree a 100m +15m in add ons. Managed to sell Bailly for 60m and Andreas Peirera for 50m to PSG so it's covered my cost, dont ask me how, they both popped up last day of transfer window and i was flabbergasted. I'll probably switch him in the front 3 positions while I intergrate haaland and what I do with RW cause I don't think sancho will come now.

12 hours ago, BigV said:

Buying them both would be overkill and probably ruin your "realistic" save to some extent and probably make it 10x easier for you which is just not what you want when they already sit back. At least one of them will end up crying that they dont get game time and it wont be greenwood.

I've got greenwood at RW as an IF-S/A and hes played 19 games, scored 10 and assisted 4-6 from what I remember by mid feb/tuning to march. Seeing what he can become he'll probably move up top but at the same time I want haaland making that his spot while I sell martial come summer. I got dortmund to agree a 100m +15m in add ons. Managed to sell Bailly for 60m and Andreas Peirera for 50m to PSG so it's covered my cost, dont ask me how, they both popped up last day of transfer window and i was flabbergasted. I'll probably switch him in the front 3 positions while I intergrate haaland and what I do with RW cause I don't think sancho will come now.

Who do you plan on making backup striker to Haaland if you're selling Martial? Wow, those figures for them two are insane, that's like winning the lottery in FM terms haha :lol: Very lucky!

5 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's no point buying both Martinez and Haaland, unless you plan on playing Martinez AMC and Fernandes MC. 

Yeah true. Nah Bruno is the main man for me at AMC and Haaland will be my 1st choice for striker. I'll probably look to bring in Camavinga in the 1st season instead of Martinez then. I was going to bring in Camavinga in the 2nd season like I did last time but will probably now go for him in the 1st season if I'm not going for Martinez.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

25 minutes ago, wakesta said:

What staff have you brought in at United?

dwf.PNG.396a043ce57886b9a965b110c076b38d.PNG

3 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Who do you plan on making backup striker to Haaland if you're selling Martial? Wow, those figures for them two are insane, that's like winning the lottery in FM terms haha :lol: Very lucky!

Greenwood in rotation. but i could do with martial being rotation for rashy. Marcus edwards has been a flop for me, does nothing, diallo has been here for 2 months and a bit and managed to do something from that right. 

I managed to make Dan james work but has become utter **** since jan, just a pace merchant and bench player, if diallo can get as fast then im sorted. 

Yeah very very lucky!! I got up off my seat and hands on head feeling like ive done a blinder, if we could do that IRL that'd be great :lol:

22 hours ago, BigV said:

dwf.PNG.396a043ce57886b9a965b110c076b38d.PNG

Did you not get rid of most the staff that you start with lol? I basically clear out the first team and couple of the younger teams staff and replace with similar system staff

1 minute ago, Chapman7 said:

Did you not get rid of most the staff that you start with lol? I basically clear out the first team and couple of the younger teams staff and replace with similar system staff

Tbf I should have but I was too busy flattering Kounde and pushing his move (which I ended up agreeing for him to come end of season.)

Plus mutual termination takes a fair bit of wage budget out so I wanted to keep it clean. Players>Staff

I get the best attributes for each category or the ones that are at least available. I always struggle with U23/u18 staff cause i dunno if its their preferred catergory cause most of the time they want first team coach :lol:- dont really pay attention to their system or playing style for staff, all about personality, working with youngsters and catergory for the attribute.

Covered my defensive shortlist for summer and probably get a full list ready before pre season of 2nd season. Anything 4* or 4 n half is good enough for me for first team really. 

1 minute ago, BigV said:

Tbf I should have but I was too busy flattering Kounde and pushing his move (which I ended up agreeing for him to come end of season.)

Plus mutual termination takes a fair bit of wage budget out so I wanted to keep it clean. Players>Staff

I get the best attributes for each category or the ones that are at least available. I always struggle with U23/u18 staff cause i dunno if its their preferred catergory cause most of the time they want first team coach :lol:- dont really pay attention to their system or playing style for staff, all about personality, working with youngsters and catergory for the attribute.

Covered my defensive shortlist for summer and probably get a full list ready before pre season of 2nd season. Anything 4* or 4 n half is good enough for me for first team really. 

As I don't really sign anyone in the first windows usually young players I feel I can use in my system I'll try go for them especially if they are approachable lol and I do with the formation and passing as my passing is very short but I do keep the likes of Carrick and Fletcher and maybe couple others around to keep the categories on light duty. With the younger groups I find boosting their wages up a bit helps more often than not and just give them a 3 year contract by then should have a few newgen coaches come through by then lol 

2 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

With the younger groups I find boosting their wages up a bit helps more often than not and just give them a 3 year contract by then should have a few newgen coaches come through by then lol 

Might have to try this, ive kept carrick and most of the staff as they are more than enough for the first season. probably get rid of the crap. Tried getting warren joyce back but wanted a diff role :lol:

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Might have to try this, ive kept carrick and most of the staff as they are more than enough for the first season. probably get rid of the crap. Tried getting warren joyce back but wanted a diff role :lol:

Assistant manager I assume lol?

2 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Assistant manager I assume lol?

Yup, still surprised he's one of the best defensive ones. Regen staff seem really OP so could get a few of those in 

3 minutes ago, BigV said:

Yup, still surprised he's one of the best defensive ones. Regen staff seem really OP so could get a few of those in 

I just tested him and added extra grand or so with him being a coach is enough to accept lol and one of the best? On mine he only has 12 defending lol 

3 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

I just tested him and added extra grand or so with him being a coach is enough to accept lol and one of the best? On mine he only has 12 defending lol 

Probably cause it was 1st season for me to get him? Oh really? he's 17 on mine, updated database or a downloaded? thats weird. 

1 minute ago, BigV said:

Probably cause it was 1st season for me to get him? Oh really? he's 17 on mine, updated database or a downloaded? thats weird. 

Official one, and I've just started again so I'm in preseason coming to the end lol

3 hours ago, Blubz said:

Playing classic 442, any recommendation for MR? 

Last year got Chiesa, unavailable this time. 

Coman, gnabry, pulisic, brandt, grealish, kulusevski, neres, antony, chuckwueize (something like that- nigerian), tete, dwight mcneil. 

These are on my shortlist for AMR and most have the ability to play MR. 

On 29/03/2021 at 14:32, McClane29 said:

I've been thinking about trying him, actually came on this topic looking to see feedback for him!

May give him a go and report back