[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

9 hours ago, axehan1 said:

The 4231 is still serving me well,tinkering with mentality down to balanced from positive as it is already a top heavy formation and on positive the front 4 could be too aggressive and not track back enough either.

image.png.1e4356889481164fc9d9fe49f2b2ebfb.png

Nice squad rebuild. I'm guessing it's Eric Garcia from City you have there in defence. Also how much did you pay for Odegaard and what season seen how much of a beast he is this year and may look at signing him myself 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So took me a little longer than I would of liked, but I have finished season 1.

I ended up buying Pau Torres, and apart from losing 3-0 to Villa on his debut he has been very good. In January I also managed to sell Jones for 5 mil to the UAE, I had to pay some of his wages but he's finally gone.

So to the league, it went to the final day with me, city and liverpool all with a chance of winning the title.

933428243_s1league.thumb.png.d5a5fec0484f8bd8cf6b0bb7c9159318.png

Sadly though we won our game, it just wasn't enough, a very close title race, and Liverpool equal our 20 league title haul. Our away form is what lost us the title really, with all our losses coming away.

Champions league we lost in the semi final to Barca, who went and won it.

Fa cup we went out pretty early, Chelsea ended up winning that.

But the Carabao cup we did win.

536264645_carabaocups1.thumb.png.b3142a48383f2e0a2d9e1d364407bc93.png

471286936_carabaos1.thumb.png.1d1967a2c75718d6bbb6c9ac00fa02db.png

Winning our 1st trophy of the save and quite convincingly as well.

So overall a decent 1st season winning a trophy and I'm relatively happy. We struggled with some injuries and bad discipline which hampered us at certain times so I didn't really expect us to win the title in the 1st season. We received 5 red cards this season with Fred and Mctominay both got 2 red cards a piece, with Telles getting the other 1, which definitely cost us in games. On the injury front Rashford, VDB, De Gea, Shaw and Cavani all spending some time out.

Goes without saying Bruno was my best player.

1455367311_brunos1.thumb.png.e8edc3f2864ce687be3cd190d7258fe4.png

Rashford and Telles were also great.

Though Rashford had a few injuries he ended with 23 goals in all comps, Telles didn't score but had 13 asssits across all comps. Cavani was my overall top goal scorer with 24, though only 9 of those came in the league, I have also taken up the option and extended his contract for 1 more season.

Martial was pretty poor for me, he ended up with 13 goals and 11 assists which isn't too bad but he went through a barren spell of about 3 months where he really struggled.

However onto season 2.

DM is my main and number 1 target, I know the player I want and will hopefully get. With signing a dm I will need to sell one of Matic, Fred or Mctominay.

RW is the next target, as previously mentioned I won't touch Sancho as 99% of people sign him. For alot of the season I played the formation that is in the carabao cup win picture, with Bruno as a 10 then a LW (only got the RW in the picture as I brought Greenwood on), so I haven't really played with a right winger, but it is a position that I need.

Pogba has a lot of interest from Real Madrid, so if he goes I will bring in someone else to replace him. So them 3 areas will more than likely be my main and only signings.

Edited by sedge11

2 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Barbosa plays upfront,Diallo and Greenwood on the right.Camavinga is a must buy.

What happened to Edwards because I noticed you signed him a while back? I will be playing with a CF (A) in a 4231 also so Barbosa may be a good signing for me, although Martial plays well there from what I've tested on FMT.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

29 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Odegaard cost £120m, not all upfront, 80 + 40 in addons, i bought him at the start of season 3.Once again there is no realism in transfer costs.That is the City Garcia at centre-back, he alongside Badiashile are a fantastic pairing with Mengi and now Kambwala as rotation when one of them needs a rest for the start of season 4

4 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

What happened to Edwards because I noticed you signed him a while back? I will be playing with a CF (A) in a 4231 also so Barbosa may be a good signing for me, although Martial plays well there from what I've tested on FMT.

He's been out on loan for 2 seasons, he has a very negative attitude in my save which is a real put off.

image.png.2e136f9c47d97104c05c645a3fa40054.png

1 minute ago, axehan1 said:

Odegaard cost £120m, not all upfront, 80 + 40 in addons, i bought him at the start of season 3.Once again there is no realism in transfer costs.That is the City Garcia at centre-back, he alongside Badiashile are a fantastic pairing with Mengi and now Kambwala as rotation when one of them needs a rest for the start of season 4

Have been looking at Garcia myself with him wanting to leave at the end of his contract as first season and I also have Badiashile haven't played much easing him in while not got english language but then I will expect him to become the partner for Maguire atleast until Maguire finds somewhere else to go which by end of the second season I'm hopeful of he will be sold at the latest. 

Ah was thinking his fee may go down in season or so time but appears not lol

4 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Have been looking at Garcia myself with him wanting to leave at the end of his contract as first season and I also have Badiashile haven't played much easing him in while not got english language but then I will expect him to become the partner for Maguire atleast until Maguire finds somewhere else to go which by end of the second season I'm hopeful of he will be sold at the latest. 

Ah was thinking his fee may go down in season or so time but appears not lol

Don't forget Mengi.

image.png.15b36866399507cba0576732cb95d6d7.png

10 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

He's been out on loan for 2 seasons, he has a very negative attitude in my save which is a real put off.

image.png.2e136f9c47d97104c05c645a3fa40054.png

Ah damn, I'm guessing his personality is random save to save?

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 minute ago, Chapman7 said:

Damn! Didn't think he'd get too much better, he's out on loan as per his promise he wanted when he signed his new contract 

If he's a regular starter while he's out on loan he'll develop, the when he comes back start playing him.

I've done the same with Hannibal and now he's ready for the 1st team so much so i've accepted a £79m bid from R.Madrid for 30 year old Pogba.

24 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

He's got the same personality of Balanced on mine too reason why I didn't pursue him myself 

Would you say that's a bad personality? I may avoid him then if so. Suppose he could be mentored.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

3 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Would you say that's a bad personality? I may avoid him then if so. Suppose he could be mentored.

Well it's not a positive one from what I'm aware of it means he could be influenced by someone like Pogba more than someone who has Fairly Determined, Model Citizen and so on 

32 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

If he's a regular starter while he's out on loan he'll develop, the when he comes back start playing him.

I've done the same with Hannibal and now he's ready for the 1st team so much so i've accepted a £79m bid from R.Madrid for 30 year old Pogba.

I've kept Hannibal at the club, but may look at loaning him out for the second half of the season he's done well when comes on off the bench and when starting done even better but feel he needs more chances to develop bit more before taking a the starting berth from Pogba or Bruno(occasionally plays on the wing when resting a player) 

Mengi looks like he has started all 11 games for Coventry but hasn't been doing all too well with them being 23rd in the Championship 

4 minutes ago, DominicForza said:

Has anyone signed Dwight McNeil?  If so, what season, what did you pay, how's he done for you?

He is one of the players I have had my eyes on, definitely a better player then Marcus Edwards (that everyone seemed to go crazy about on the beta) 

1 hour ago, sedge11 said:

Looks like I may have to start again as have got the registration bug :(, so unless there's anyway past it, the save is ruined and got to start again.

Try holidaying for the day? 

11 minutes ago, Conan21 said:

Try holidaying for the day? 

Didn’t work, Liverpool and Chelsea still have unregistered players, the rest of the teams are fine and that ruins it for me.

11 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

What bug is that? 

It’s where in the 2nd season, teams don’t register any players so end up playing just youth players, can sometimes resolve itself after deadline day but would of already played 4-5 games at that point. Apparently was a bug in the beta, but I started my save after the full release.

Did load up a new save and holidayed a year and that one seems fine, but will probably check again tomorrow just to make sure.

1 hour ago, MatthewS17 said:

How is Telles doing for everyone? 

He's had a few bad games for me, some great games, mostly average ones, but suddenly he's got 6 Potm in a row with scores of 9.0 and above. :eek:

I'm in February 2022 and he's doing really well. Well enough for me to sell Shaw and not bother about a replacement.

telles.thumb.png.2440e71ae111b4c33ab9aa2ba49eacaf.png

telles2.png.0eaf1b74fa789be648d50a0b198232bc.png

14 hours ago, Falahk said:

He is one of the players I have had my eyes on, definitely a better player then Marcus Edwards (that everyone seemed to go crazy about on the beta) 

Does he turn out better? Because at the start of the game he certainly doesn't look better than Edwards to me, but maybe he has more potential?

Edited by Gee_Simpson

14 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Does he turn out better? Because at the start of the game he certainly doesn't look better than Edwards to me, but maybe he has more potential?

If I was to buy him I'd think about retraining him to the fullback position. He has good defensive stats and is obviously very good at going forward. You then have a versatile player in your squad. 

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Regarding Dwight McNeil vs Marcus Edwards and their potential - that'd be a spoiler answer.  I dont know how to post a spoiler.  Obviously you could check in the Pre-game editor.  But keep in mind that CA/PA, while important is not the end all be all.

8 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

How is Telles doing for everyone? 

He's had a few bad games for me, some great games, mostly average ones, but suddenly he's got 6 Potm in a row with scores of 9.0 and above. :eek:

He's only had 1 bad game so far for me and think I'm in start or mid November 

Pretty sure he is either my top assister or only 1 or 2 behind who's the clubs top assister 

Edited by Chapman7

On 06/12/2020 at 10:25, sedge11 said:

I ended up buying Pau Torres, and apart from losing 3-0 to Villa on his debut he has been very good. In January I also managed to sell Jones for 5 mil to the UAE, I had to pay some of his wages but he's finally gone.

What did you pay for Pau Torres?    Did you buy him in summer or winter window?

5 minutes ago, DominicForza said:

What did you pay for Pau Torres?    Did you buy him in summer or winter window?

Winter window and paid 31 mil for him. Though save is ruined by the registration bug and nothing is fixing it, so having to start again. Though I definitely think I will buy him again.

25 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Winter window and paid 31 mil for him. Though save is ruined by the registration bug and nothing is fixing it, so having to start again. Though I definitely think I will buy him again.

Thanks sedge11.  He's definitely shortlisted.  Plus, it's always a bonus when something in game seems viable IRL.

10 hours ago, axehan1 said:

If I was to buy him I'd think about retraining him to the fullback position. He has good defensive stats and is obviously very good at going forward. You then have a versatile player in your squad. 

axehan1, excellent idea.  I hadn't thought of that.   I haven't played FM with an outside footed winger in years, always been IF/IW.  You're right tho, attributes would make him an ideal FB/WB.  

First season, and it's a season with mixed feelings...

image.png.1e5345cb259109a3e75a8909b8580215.png

You'd say: great result with the FA Cup and Champions League, but then you see this:

image.png.3cbfb04bdcd9863a07ad20fae231c1dc.png

Yeah, we lost it with 1 point difference to Arsenal. We actually threw it away the weeks before. We were fighting on all fronts and it stretched our squad out too much. We were still leading the PL with 4 games to go. However, due to the Champions League and FA Cup, our schedule was completely full and we had a streak of Liverpool (A) 1-1, Everton (Cup final) 1-0, Man City (A) 0-1 loss, West Ham (A) 2-0 win within 8 days. We went into the final matchday with a gap of 3 points to Arsenal and with our superior goal difference we still had a tiny shot with them playing away to Newcastle while we had a home game against West Brom. We won 3-1 after trailing at the break, but Arsenal managed to draw their game, taking the title.

We'll be back more determined than ever to get that crown next season!

8 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

With Brexit, is it now impossible to sign any non-British players straight from the youth intake of other teams? 

IF you are referring to the rules announced a week or so ago that is likely not to come to effect in game until the next update I would expect

32 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

IF you are referring to the rules announced a week or so ago that is likely not to come to effect in game until the next update I would expect

I think it was part of that small update of last week though, and it's save game compatible. So from now on, you only have 1 option of Brexit: the one as set out in real life. You can still sign foreign young players, but they can only join you when they get 18 years old and fulfil the extra criteria set out. I don't really mind because I only scouted U18's in UK, but I can see it having some impact on how other people play this game.

3 minutes ago, duvels said:

I think it was part of that small update of last week though, and it's save game compatible. So from now on, you only have 1 option of Brexit: the one as set out in real life. You can still sign foreign young players, but they can only join you when they get 18 years old and fulfil the extra criteria set out. I don't really mind because I only scouted U18's in UK, but I can see it having some impact on how other people play this game.

Ah, if that was the case I must have missed the info on that. Now you mention it I do remember an update the other day after not being on for a few days 

Is anyone still playing with the same save game from the beta?the fixture list is fecked. Season 4 and I'm playing Liverpool away twice in the league. Looks like I'm going to have to start a new save. That's really annoying because I've got a really good squad build. 

Edited by axehan1
Season 4 not 3.

Is anyone else having problems with Board Vision? 

I've got negative reviews for all "signing cultures" and Increasing Commercial Revenue, despite not signing a single player because I had the first window disabled.

Sign English players, Sign U23s and sign high rep players all negative reviews. 

Edited by MatthewS17

So I'm about to head into my third season having won the FA Cup and Champions League in the first, the Premier League, Champions League, European Super Cup and Carabao Cup in the second season.

First season I signed Andrea Papetti (£1.8M), Dayot Upamecano (£41M) and Gabriel Menino (£14M). I sold Sergio Romero (£5.5M), Marcos Rojo (£8.25M), Jesse Lingard (£16.5M), Nemanja Matic (£9.5M and Fred (£31.5M).

Start of the second season I brought in Ryan Gravenberch (£22M), Ben Godfrey (£54M), Memphis Depay (free) and Marcus Bettinelli (free) with Juan Mata (free), Timothy Fosu-Mensah (free), Luke Shaw (£35.5M), Joel Pereira (£2M), Eric Bailly (£22.5M), Phil Jones (£6.75M), with Dean Henderson going to Dortmund on loan.

January 2022 and I lost Pogba to Barcelona for £90M and Dalot to Roma (£6M). I managed to bring in Frenkie de Jong for a massive £155M in total as well as young winger Robert Navarro for £11.75M.

Donny van de Beek had contract negotiations break down several times which saw a deal with Spurs inked for the off-season for £43M with Scott McTominay also joining Inter for the same reason for £35M. Victor Lindelof would also secure a move to Real Madrid for £52M. On the flip side I was able to upgrade at centre back by asking the board to sign Matthijs de Ligt for £99M before replacing McTominay with Franck Kessie for £52M and van de Beek with Ruben Loftus-Cheek from Napoli for £24M.

My current team is as follows (in a 4-2-3-1):-

GK: David de Gea / Marcus Bettinelli (Henderson on loan at Dortmund for second season)
DR: Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Gabriel Menino / Ethan Laird
DC: Dayot Upamecano / Ben Godfrey
DC: Matthijs de Ligt / Hary McGuire (c)
DL: Alex Telles / Brandon Williams / Ethan Laird
MC: Franck Kessie / James Garner
MC: Frenkie de Jong / Ryan Gravenberch
AMR: Mason Greenwood / Daniel James / Amad Diallo
AMC: Bruno Fernandes / Ruben Loftus-Cheek
AML: Marcus Rashford / Daniel James / Memphis Depay
STC: Anthony Martial / Memphis Depay

Other players not listed are out on loan (Tuanzebe, Pereira, Pellistri, Papetti, etc.)

Martial has been immense leading the frontline with Bruno being an absolute boss as well. Alex Telles has probably been my most consistent player always performing to a high standard.

Now to try to back up my wins again.

21 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

So I'm about to head into my third season having won the FA Cup and Champions League in the first, the Premier League, Champions League, European Super Cup and Carabao Cup in the second season.

First season I signed Andrea Papetti (£1.8M), Dayot Upamecano (£41M) and Gabriel Menino (£14M). I sold Sergio Romero (£5.5M), Marcos Rojo (£8.25M), Jesse Lingard (£16.5M), Nemanja Matic (£9.5M and Fred (£31.5M).

Start of the second season I brought in Ryan Gravenberch (£22M), Ben Godfrey (£54M), Memphis Depay (free) and Marcus Bettinelli (free) with Juan Mata (free), Timothy Fosu-Mensah (free), Luke Shaw (£35.5M), Joel Pereira (£2M), Eric Bailly (£22.5M), Phil Jones (£6.75M), with Dean Henderson going to Dortmund on loan.

January 2022 and I lost Pogba to Barcelona for £90M and Dalot to Roma (£6M). I managed to bring in Frenkie de Jong for a massive £155M in total as well as young winger Robert Navarro for £11.75M.

Donny van de Beek had contract negotiations break down several times which saw a deal with Spurs inked for the off-season for £43M with Scott McTominay also joining Inter for the same reason for £35M. Victor Lindelof would also secure a move to Real Madrid for £52M. On the flip side I was able to upgrade at centre back by asking the board to sign Matthijs de Ligt for £99M before replacing McTominay with Franck Kessie for £52M and van de Beek with Ruben Loftus-Cheek from Napoli for £24M.

My current team is as follows (in a 4-2-3-1):-

GK: David de Gea / Marcus Bettinelli (Henderson on loan at Dortmund for second season)
DR: Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Gabriel Menino / Ethan Laird
DC: Dayot Upamecano / Ben Godfrey
DC: Matthijs de Ligt / Hary McGuire (c)
DL: Alex Telles / Brandon Williams / Ethan Laird
MC: Franck Kessie / James Garner
MC: Frenkie de Jong / Ryan Gravenberch
AMR: Mason Greenwood / Daniel James / Amad Diallo
AMC: Bruno Fernandes / Ruben Loftus-Cheek
AML: Marcus Rashford / Daniel James / Memphis Depay
STC: Anthony Martial / Memphis Depay

Other players not listed are out on loan (Tuanzebe, Pereira, Pellistri, Papetti, etc.)

Martial has been immense leading the frontline with Bruno being an absolute boss as well. Alex Telles has probably been my most consistent player always performing to a high standard.

Now to try to back up my wins again.

Looks nice! Don't have issues with the board by not signing that many English players? I think you only signed Bettinelli, Godfrey and Loftus-Cheek?

My current one (early 2nd season) is this:

GK: De Gea / Henderson / Pereira -> Henderson is actually playing more because De Gea is injured 50% of the time...
DR: Wan-Bissaka / Williams / Dalot
DC: White / Adarabioyo
DC: Maguire / Tuanzebe
DL: Telles / Mendes / Dalot
MC: Pogba / Van de Beek / McTominay
MC: Rice / Cook / McTominay
AMR: Sancho / Greenwood / James / Diallo
AMC: Fernandes / Grealish
AML: Rashford / Martial / Sancho / James
ST: Haaland / Cavani / Greenwood / Martial

Pellistri, Mengi, Laird, Garner, Mejbri are all out on loan on top of some other younger players.
I invested quite a lot in the front 4 because I felt you need quite a deep squad to have a decent level in all matches with the rotation you need. I think I won't renew Cavani, so either I look for a new right winger so Greenwood can play more up front, or Diallo improves drastically so he can take that spot, or I pick up a cheap older striker.

3 minutes ago, duvels said:

Looks nice! Don't have issues with the board by not signing that many English players? I think you only signed Bettinelli, Godfrey and Loftus-Cheek?

It is currently listed as a preferred vision not required so they're satisfied so far.

On 06/12/2020 at 15:25, sedge11 said:

So to the league, it went to the final day with me, city and liverpool all with a chance of winning the title.

933428243_s1league.thumb.png.d5a5fec0484f8bd8cf6b0bb7c9159318.png

Sadly though we won our game, it just wasn't enough, a very close title race, and Liverpool equal our 20 league title haul. Our away form is what lost us the title really, with all our losses coming away.

Champions league we lost in the semi final to Barca, who went and won it.

Fa cup we went out pretty early, Chelsea ended up winning that.

But the Carabao cup we did win.

536264645_carabaocups1.thumb.png.b3142a48383f2e0a2d9e1d364407bc93.png

471286936_carabaos1.thumb.png.1d1967a2c75718d6bbb6c9ac00fa02db.png

Winning our 1st trophy of the save and quite convincingly as well.

So overall a decent 1st season winning a trophy and I'm relatively happy. We struggled with some injuries and bad discipline which hampered us at certain times so I didn't really expect us to win the title in the 1st season. We received 5 red cards this season with Fred and Mctominay both got 2 red cards a piece, with Telles getting the other 1, which definitely cost us in games. On the injury front Rashford, VDB, De Gea, Shaw and Cavani all spending some time out.

Goes without saying Bruno was my best player.

1455367311_brunos1.thumb.png.e8edc3f2864ce687be3cd190d7258fe4.png

Rashford and Telles were also great.

Though Rashford had a few injuries he ended with 23 goals in all comps, Telles didn't score but had 13 asssits across all comps. Cavani was my overall top goal scorer with 24, though only 9 of those came in the league, I have also taken up the option and extended his contract for 1 more season.

Martial was pretty poor for me, he ended up with 13 goals and 11 assists which isn't too bad but he went through a barren spell of about 3 months where he really struggled.

However onto season 2.

DM is my main and number 1 target, I know the player I want and will hopefully get. With signing a dm I will need to sell one of Matic, Fred or Mctominay.

RW is the next target, as previously mentioned I won't touch Sancho as 99% of people sign him. For alot of the season I played the formation that is in the carabao cup win picture, with Bruno as a 10 then a LW (only got the RW in the picture as I brought Greenwood on), so I haven't really played with a right winger, but it is a position that I need.

Pogba has a lot of interest from Real Madrid, so if he goes I will bring in someone else to replace him. So them 3 areas will more than likely be my main and only signings.

Hey man, interesting tactic, looks like you've had some success with it! 

I played something on FM20, just with 2 strikers and no AM. If I could offer some advice: I always found it better to have a ball winner on the exposed flank, ie I'd probably switch Pogba and McTominay around in your set up and move my pacier CB to the left as well (though looks like you're doing well anyway!)