First time in 18 years I cant get into the game due to Match Day UI....

I know it's early days and its a beta ... but for the first time i cant get into the game this year due to match day UI. I LOVE the ME itself i think it's fantastic but i find myself pausing the game every second to make changes  for the fear of missing something. everything is now more than 2 clicks away which is annoying.

Analysis widgets removed

I undesrtand that during the game real life managers dont see these but this is a game after all . some things are better left as this.

dugout window cluttered

wow so much information passes by you in a blink between highlights. i wish we could at least pin this or made avaiable as button like the tablet feature so we could glance at it anytime.

-----------------------

The use of emoticons and heart icon is a nice feature this year but im finding myself having to hover over or click to see more detailed info during match. before i could just glance over and know exactly whic plaer to take off!

Theres so many other things about the UI which has already been discussed in the feedback forum and im sure im not alone in this.

Your not alone.

I posted my feedback on the match UI in the feedback thread.

Though i doubt anything will change until skinners get to work tbh. 

First time im going to need to use a different skin to enjoy the match day :(

Yup, loaded it up again today, and was loving it again right up to matchday where the whole thing just falls apart. 

The worrying thing for me is that I don't think it's bugged, this is the design now. 

I'm also going to have to rely on skinners, although I also fear how much freedom they'll have this year, if the tablet view, dugout view etc etc are all hardcoded and can't be modified. 

Back playing my FMT20 save now, and although the ME isn't as refined as the new game, the whole thing is just so much more user friendly. I'm genuinely happy for those who are really enjoying the new game, but it might just not be for me this year, which I'm gutted about. 

Good grief, it's horrendous, isn't it? Is there a way to hide the 'dugout' nonsense and have an extended view of stats? I like to monitor key passes/chances created/ratings/condition for my team but this combination seems impossible now? The removal of shots/shots on target/dribbles completed in FM20 was irritating but this is too much. And the decision to get rid of percentage points for condition to be replaced by a series of emojis is disastrous for anyone of my advancing years. It all feels a little too 'young' now - and i'm only 33...

Filling the game up with stats upon stats upon stats, coming up with your own xG system, and then making it considerably more difficult to see any of that information in the match experience seems like such a strange choice, right? Not very joined-up design.

I can understand all the issues everyone is having with the UI, but i believe that given time and a few tens of hours, people will get used to it, think cos its changed dramatically and we've all come off the back of playing 100's-1000's hours over the years with the match day UI set up with our exact preferences, its very jarring to all of a sudden have it all change and not have access to the same info. Guess it proves that this year's FM is not just a data update that some folk like to accuse it of.

9 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

I can understand all the issues everyone is having with the UI, but i believe that given time and a few tens of hours, people will get used to it, think cos its changed dramatically and we've all come off the back of playing 100's-1000's hours over the years with the match day UI set up with our exact preferences, its very jarring to all of a sudden have it all change and not have access to the same info. Guess it proves that this year's FM is not just a data update that some folk like to accuse it of.

Agreed. 

Try playing an older game now, and you'll really struggle, despite loving it at the time. Once you're used to it it'll be fine 

13 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

If it was a change for the better, sure we could get used to it.

But the changes they have made are worse. Wasted space, loss of info, less customisation. Its just all worse.

In a game like this, the UX is a massive feature to get right.

The tagline 'The game is all about YOU - The Manager' should have been followed with...

"..,, but good luck finding the important information you need, because we've hidden it all, muahahaha"

Not very snappy, granted, but at least there would have been a heads up :lol:

when the other team makes substitutions, is it still just mentioned in the commentary bar or is it now visible elsewhere?

in real life, the opposing manager knows exactly when the other manager is going to make a sub. in this game you are aware of that information for only 0.05s at the maximum.

4 minutes ago, Siven said:

If it was a change for the better, sure we could get used to it.

But the changes they have made are worse. Wasted space, loss of info, less customisation. Its just all worse.

In a game like this, the UX is a massive feature to get right.

^^THIS

i always welcome change for the better but struggling to get into it on match... Everything is so many more clicks away. I wish we could have fm20 UI but wth FM21 ME. it just seems too simplified for the sake of it BUT its the stats we wnt easily accessible on screeen all the time which were not getting. Who know maybe the full release will be different. i ust want customize it the way i want.

3 minutes ago, Artin said:

when the other team makes substitutions, is it still just mentioned in the commentary bar or is it now visible elsewhere?

in real life, the opposing manager knows exactly when the other manager is going to make a sub. in this game you are aware of that information for only 0.05s at the maximum.

If a sub happens when that ghastly 'between highlights' screen is up, good luck noticing it, because it's only mentioned in the tiny commentary bar. If you're lucky enough to still be on the pitch view, you get a pop up, similar to the goalflash telling you a sub has happened. In previous games, that wasn't an issue as it clearly showed at the top of the screen regardless of whether the highlights were playing or not. Another awful design choice. 

I don't enjoy it as much as my customised widgets last year but I can live with it.

The only annoying thing is that sometimes it seems like I can't click on the players at the bottom individually and have to go into the normal tactics pane to change PI's.

I'm not sure I agree that the key information is less visible, although I play on comprehensive highlights so I spend most of my time looking at highlights. It sure is a big change though. Let me explain what I mean.

There were three key things I would use widgets for with my players previously. 

1. performance. Check their average rating.

2. Body language. Judge what my team's mood is and try to adjust it accordingly.

3. Check how tired players are for substitution. 

Now previously I would be able to get 1 and 3 from one widget, and 2 from another. Which I would have open. Still, it was a click away. Currently all this information is available at a glance in the dugout at the bottom of the screen. Once I have learnt to read the new symbols without having to check, I will be able to spot any issues just by looking at that part of the screen. I actually like this change, I think this part is definitely superior to the widgets. For individual player stats, I never cared about that. I would watch the game so I would know what my players were doing anyway. This is a realism thing, I guess. Managers irl will not have access to all these detailed stats on the bench, but they will at half time. Having said that, I never use these things, but I can understand why people who do are unhappy. I have no strong opinion on whether they should be put back, and I do not want it to seem like I am arguing things are better now and should not be changed.

When it comes to match stats, everything is available in much the same way as it was previously. It is all a single click away. I do not see this as either progression or regression, it is just somewhere else than before. 

With analysing team performance, of course you can no longer access detailed analysis. Now this is something I have no strong feelings for, so I will not argue one way or another on this. I always make my decisions by watching a match, and a detailed analysis is for after the game anyway. I essentially never used this in game unless I was specifically doing some kind of tactical recreation thing for the forums and wanted a live view of how it was going. In terms of realism, it makes more sense that you have limited info when on the sideline. This is I assume what they are going for. At the same time, I can totally get why people who used analysis in game are annoyed. Like I said, I never use it, so I will not say it should not be there, because it does not affect my game play at all. 

I genuinely like the evolution here. I like that the match screen is not cluttered with widgets (I would typically have 9 on screen in FM20 but I only really used 2 of them regularly). 

Edited by sporadicsmiles
removed gratioutous use of "now when it..." at the start of every point.
7 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I genuinely like the evolution here. I like that the match screen is not cluttered with widgets (I would typically have 9 on screen in FM20 but I only really used 2 of them regularly). 

Yes that is quite true actually, I was a widgetholic but I didn't use many of them to their full potential :D

It is just about the only "bad" thing about this version and not being able to pin what you want and only see what you want does feel a step back but..... I also really struggle to understand how it can ruin the experience so much you don't even want to play the game?! 

19 minutes ago, limey150781 said:

It is just about the only "bad" thing about this version and not being able to pin what you want and only see what you want does feel a step back but..... I also really struggle to understand how it can ruin the experience so much you don't even want to play the game?! 

From FM13 to FM20, the thing I've looked forward to most when playing the game was matchday. That side of the game was a chore for long spells between FM07 and FM12. This version has put me back in that place. I'm loving the game until I get to matchday. I'm not giving up on it though. Hopefully a few things will be fixed for release and when the community get their hands on it. But right now, I'm really struggling with it.