• SI Staff

Linux isn't a supported platform.

While Steam Proton might enable some games to run on Linux, it unfortunately won't for every game. 

There's not much advice we can offer you at this time, though you should check all your packages are correctly up to date including drivers. 

Please note, it won't launch either if it doesn't meet minimum specifications, so the capabilities of your graphics card are especially relevant in this case.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Linux isn't a supported platform.

While Steam Proton might enable some games to run on Linux, it unfortunately won't for every game. 

There's not much advice we can offer you at this time, though you should check all your packages are correctly up to date including drivers. 

Please note, it won't launch either if it doesn't meet minimum specifications, so the capabilities of your graphics card are especially relevant in this case.

Ok, thanks for that info. Will keep an eye on this, in the meantime I will switch to Windows :)

Use GloriousEggroll's version of Proton instead.  FM20 worked perfectly on it but was crap on normal Proton.

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

Report back if fixed.

Also @Lucas while Linux is not a supported platform, would it really kill you guys to update the Linux icon value in Steam from FM19 version?  Both FM20 and FM21's desktop icons have a big 19 on them.  It's a two second job and would really lower my blood pressure.

Edited by swordy9320

I've had the same issue as Brtza and Diosdrop with the game closing after a second, has anybody found a successful workaround yet?

I know you've said that it costs more to make FM Linux compatible than its worth, but with a growing number of people using Linux what are the chances of this decision being reversed soon, especially if Steam Play doesn't bridge the gap anymore? I assume you have statistics on how many people played FM20 on Linux using Steam Play so you know the trends far better than I do.

I have an old Windows laptop which I tried to install FM on but I now have a new issue:

Currently your game purchase cannot be re-validated successfully, please wait 24 hours and try again.
This is quite irritating and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get my game purchase re-validated? Purchased through steam in September. 

EDIT: Successfully re-validated so can now play on Windows

Edited by Cai123

I have that same issue about the revalidation that @Cai123
had.

After some digging around, I believe this has to do with Denuvo putting on a daily limit to the devices you can run the game at. My guess is that after trying the game in a Windows VM and my Linux PC in several proton versions, the Denuvo limit was triggered. I read this daily limit gets refreshed after 24 hours, so I'm hoping to be able to run the game again tomorrow.

But if someone from SI could clarify why this purchase revalidation issue occurs and if it does get fixed after 24 hours, that'd be great.

19 hours ago, damocles said:

Use GloriousEggroll's version of Proton instead.  FM20 worked perfectly on it but was crap on normal Proton.

Report back if fixed.

Also @Lucas while Linux is not a supported platform, would it really kill you guys to update the Linux icon value in Steam from FM19 version?  Both FM20 and FM21's desktop icons have a big 19 on them.  It's a two second job and would really lower my blood pressure.

Tried Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST with FM21 and the game does not start. As you say, it does however work with FM20.

I'll be looking out for future updates of this version of Proton though, maybe a newer version will fix it

Ditto here - fm21 not working on Debian 10.

fm20 works fine.

Here is hoping Steam do their magic later.

Certainly cannot expect sigames or fm to help, as explained above.  Not enough money in it for them, I guess.

26 minutes ago, bringbacklilnux said:

Ditto here - fm21 not working on Debian 10.

fm20 works fine.

Here is hoping Steam do their magic later.

Certainly cannot expect sigames or fm to help, as explained above.  Not enough money in it for them, I guess.

I and a couple of others will fix it eventually.  Happens every year, even before they dropped official support. Some really ridiculous and easily solved bug comes up and they ignore because apparently they don't support Linux apart from the other platforms they are on that run Linux or derivatives that they support.  So a few people who tend to knock around the support forums find the answer.

Unfortunately I can't even attempt to debug it currently because of this pointless Denuvo **** that will be cracked six seconds after release.  The pirates will be able to play it before the legitimate customers, as is always the way with these stupid DRM systems.

The thing is, as with literally every Linux release, they don't even need to officially support it - they just need to not actively stop us from getting it working ourselves.  And actively HELPING informally?  Jesus Christ, what a wonderful world that would be.

Edited by swordy9320

Too sad then I will wait until the end of the beta if it is not working I'll get a refund. Many games run fine with Proton and according to Steam Developers can work with them together to make the games work, but maybe FM Series is selling that good, that our few Sales are not needed. I'll stick with FM 20 and will return my Game if it will not work with the final version, but i never get back to Windows. I buy FM since 2009 every year but then I'll stick with the old Versions or stop playing. 

Windows is not getting on my Computer anymore. I've bought every native Linux Version to support unfortunately it did not pay out for SI Games which is very sad. But I can understand it.

I have only one question is it pretty similiar to develop under Mac and Linux or couldn't you use some synergies by developing for both plattforms? And many Sega Games are released for Linux so you should even get help/money from there or not?

Or go and ask Steam for help with proton there should be a way. :)

@swordy9320 You're so right about DRM unfortunately the customers get punihsed by buying nad those that are using illegal copies can play many great games without any problems. But I want to support the Developers it is their job and the earn the money with it they deserve.

From the little I've gathered trying to find a fix for this, I have the feeling that they have implemented some latest Denuvo **** and we'll have to wait for the smart people working on Proton to figure out how to make it work. And as if Denuvo wasn't anti-consumer enough, we get this codefusion stuff when trying to figure out how to play the game. This has been brought up already in the forums and the issues with Denuvo and DRM in the gaming world are MANY and well known by now. But I remember Miles defending DRM/Denuvo since forever and the sales on FM are always as good as ever so nothing will change for the better here.

This is my first time buying FM since they dropped Linux support and it's certainly disappointing. I just pray that someone working at Proton is as eager to play FM as I am and figures out something soon.

Edited by Diosdrop

23 minutes ago, Diosdrop said:

From the little I've gathered trying to find a fix for this, I have the feeling that they have implemented some latest Denuvo **** and we'll have to wait for the smart people working on Proton to figure out how to make it work. And as if Denuvo wasn't anti-consumer enough, we get this codefusion stuff when trying to figure out how to play the game. This has been brought up already in the forums and the issues with Denuvo and DRM in the gaming world are MANY and well known by now. But I remember Miles defending DRM/Denuvo since forever and the sales on FM are always as good as ever so nothing will change for the better here.

This is my first time buying FM since they dropped Linux support and it's certainly disappointing. I just pray that someone working at Proton is as eager to play FM as I am and figures out something soon.

Not looked into it yet but the Denuvo stuff wasn't a factor last year so presumably shouldn't be this year.  I can't get passed the activation screen to have a proper look at what's going on so we're stuck for now unless somebody who has gotten passed that on Linux can provide a log file

3 hours ago, White Wolf said:

What do you mean by activation screen. If I start the game it starts for a second or two in a window. I used -eindowed as a start option.

But after I see this purple and yellow stripes it immediately stops.

Part of the Denuvo DRM that FM uses is the "activation limits" part.  For many of us, we get a popup directing us to a website that states that we have too many activation and to wait 24 hours to try again.  Once we get past this screen and can get something logged then we can start working out how to get the game running.

On your issue, they seem to have changed their movie formats this year.  The intro screens that are animated are just movies that they play.  They've switched from the open OGV format to the more restricted IVF format for these movies.  Go to your FM21 folder inside steamapps and find game/movies/ and maybe rename the movies folder to something else.  This could potentially skip those movies playing and HOPEFULLY SI would treat this as a recoverable error and not crash the game.  

Just an idea, as I say, I haven't got any information to go on yet so I'm just guessing.

If you could provide a log file then we might have more to go on.  Use PROTON_LOG=1 %command% in your launch options and the log file should appear in your Home directory.

Edited by swordy9320

7 minutes ago, davor992 said:

Hi @swordy9320, I used the PROTON_LOG=1 %command%. The issue is the same as for most people here, crash a few seconds after launching.

Here's the log file it provided for me.

steam-1263850.log 155.08 kB · 0 downloads

Can you use the GE version of Proton available here and re-run it?

23 minutes ago, davor992 said:

Edited the last post and added the new log file, this time the game didn't even start.

Unfortunately there's nothing obvious there outside of installing winbind which shouldn't be the cause.  Will have to wait to get more info :(

Hi have the logfile and I'm using proton 5.13-2 on a Manjaro Linux.

Maybe I can try it with the other Proton Version you have mentioned. But I will have to download it first and get it running.

I added the other Logfile as well. Maybe it helps.

steam-1263850.log

steam-1263850_Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST.log

Edited by White Wolf

There is an issue posted on Valve's GitHub here for people to upvote:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/4365

I'll be surprised if this is fixed any time soon, not going to lie.  We might just have to accept the fact that SI has abandoned us totally and find an alternative game as it is becoming increasingly difficult every year to troubleshoot the Linux issues.

Debugging this is a pain in the arse because the Denuvo keeps forcing a re-register/24 hour wait if you change things because Denuvo is a stupid system that doesn't work.  However I *did* manage to get a debugger attached to it as it crashed and the errors are all Chromium errors.  If I had to guess, and this is a somewhat uneducated guess, I would say that FM has changed the internal version of Chromium that they use in the game from FM20 or they changed the options for hardware accelerated video via GPU acceleration which is problematic on Linux.  

Edited by swordy9320

Sound like bad news. Well sad they they make such changes without having in mind to support Proton a little bit more. I would have expected a little bit more from SI, because once they supported Linux natively.

Well I will wait a little bit until the end of the year and if it will not work under Linux I will get refund on Steam.

Does help if more of us debug it? That way we could get more information. I do not know if it helps, but I would like to help because I like this game and Windows is no option for me. Unfortunately SI doesn't support geforce now. I use that so it would be an option, but FM is not available there. 

Who knows why!?

36 minutes ago, White Wolf said:

Sound like bad news. Well sad they they make such changes without having in mind to support Proton a little bit more. I would have expected a little bit more from SI, because once they supported Linux natively.

Well I will wait a little bit until the end of the year and if it will not work under Linux I will get refund on Steam.

Does help if more of us debug it? That way we could get more information. I do not know if it helps, but I would like to help because I like this game and Windows is no option for me. Unfortunately SI doesn't support geforce now. I use that so it would be an option, but FM is not available there. 

Who knows why!?

I'm also gonna give it some more time cause I really love the game and I've been regularly playing it for 10+ years. Lack of Linux support is really disappointing, kind of feels like getting punished for buying the game and supporting the devs. 

2 hours ago, davor992 said:

I'm also gonna give it some more time cause I really love the game and I've been regularly playing it for 10+ years. Lack of Linux support is really disappointing, kind of feels like getting punished for buying the game and supporting the devs. 

we all love the game and the fact that we use a linux operating system shouldn't be a problem, 20 gave me no problems whatsoever while for now the beta remains fixed in the loading screen, I hope by 24 everything is resolved and they understand that I also have to support us linux users, for now I play at 19 (I don't want to install lutris again to play at 20 on the epic store)

I have managed to get the game running. Haven't actually played much though so it may still end up crashing, but have at least gone through creating a manager and changing the graphics options.

I am using the latest GloriousEggroll Proton stable release: Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST

Here are the launch options I am using: PROTON_LOG=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1  PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 gamemoderun %command%

The same launch options with Proton 5.13-2 did not work. I'm not sure what this combination is doing to make it run, though I did see from a Reddit post about Monster Hunter World that PROTON_USE_SECCOMP was needed to work with Denuvo on that game.

1 hour ago, andre16 said:

I have managed to get the game running. Haven't actually played much though so it may still end up crashing, but have at least gone through creating a manager and changing the graphics options.

I am using the latest GloriousEggroll Proton stable release: Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST

Here are the launch options I am using: PROTON_LOG=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1  PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 gamemoderun %command%

The same launch options with Proton 5.13-2 did not work. I'm not sure what this combination is doing to make it run, though I did see from a Reddit post about Monster Hunter World that PROTON_USE_SECCOMP was needed to work with Denuvo on that game.

tried on Pop_OS and worked, i finally play a match, later i'll start a season more seriously  now i want only see if i can play a game

I have also been able to start the game and play a match. I used Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST like andre16 said but I had to remove the "gamemoderun" option (and the proton log one which wasn't necessary). So these ones worked for me: PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1  PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 %command%

4 minutes ago, Diosdrop said:

I have also been able to start the game and play a match. I used Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST like andre16 said but I had to remove the "gamemoderun" option (and the proton log one which wasn't necessary). So these ones worked for me: PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1  PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 %command%

Looks like it's working with these options on Pop_OS, got through the loading screen, created the manager and now hoping everything else work normally :D

You don't need the other ones, just PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 is enough.

So I guess it was Denuvo after all?  That's what I get for trusting these anti-cheat programs rather than just blaming them every time.  Lesson for future - IT'S ALWAYS DRM'S FAULT

Edited by swordy9320

I can confirm that it works with Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST with PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 as only launch option, on Linux Mint 20.

I even loaded a windows cloud save. I didnt try on regular Proton because I didnt want to chance a validation lock.

It was quite snappy and fast, just like in windows. I am very pleased.

11 hours ago, fabio_demaio said:

Sorry for asking here, but wouldn't know where I could get some help... I'm trying to run it on Ubuntu 20.04 with a NVIDIA GeForce 820M. I've tried Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST with PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 and Proton-5.21-GE-1, in both cases it loads a black screen, the cursor appears but nothing else. Does anyone has any suggestion?

steam-1263850.log 191.29 kB · 1 download

I have the same problemI did just like you, and I have the same problem. Just getting a black screen and after a while shows a window that the program is not responding.

14 hours ago, fabio_demaio said:

Sorry for asking here, but wouldn't know where I could get some help... I'm trying to run it on Ubuntu 20.04 with a NVIDIA GeForce 820M. I've tried Proton-5.9-GE-8-ST with PROTON_USE_SECCOMP=1 and Proton-5.21-GE-1, in both cases it loads a black screen, the cursor appears but nothing else. Does anyone has any suggestion?

steam-1263850.log 191.29 kB · 1 download

I have seen your report in protondb and maybe you need to update your graphics driver to 450?