Font is blurry (difficult to read) on 1920x1080 resolution (full-screen)

14 hours ago, Machad0 said:

Any news on when this update is going to be available??

I mean its been a while now and it is sad that we have paid all that money and cant play the game.

As soon as we'll be able to do so. We're finding it's affecting users with certain types of user defined display settings, so in the meantime if you try changing these via Windows display settings you may find you can get it displaying without issue. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hora atrás, Neil Brock disse:

As soon as we'll be able to do so. We're finding it's affecting users with certain types of user defined display settings, so in the meantime if you try changing these via Windows display settings you may find you can get it displaying without issue. 

Well, i respect your research...

But there's nothing "user defined" here...

To test, I've formatted my PC, installed Windows again, installed FM21, and the problem was there...

Everything here is default, to test properly.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for the information.

But I don't think it's relevant to Windows display settings in anyway. Personally, my settings are always default. In this topic, you can also see a simultaneous comparison of FM20 and FM21 showing that the ingame text quality is vastly downgraded.

Regards.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Mine are default too

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

I have default display settings too.

Okay, if you claim that I can achieve clear fonts by changing the display parameters - then tell us what we need to change in this parameters.

Edited by LXLMR

guys i think i found a temporary solution for those who desperately want to play the game.

on nvidia control panel colour settings change the gamma option from 1.00 to 2.00 .( or just as far as the screen is acceptably bright for you . )

you can also lower brightness to make it even better.

53 minutes ago, Kingpit said:

guys i think i found a temporary solution for those who desperately want to play the game.

on nvidia control panel colour settings change the gamma option from 1.00 to 2.00 .( or just as far as the screen is acceptably bright for you . )

you can also lower brightness to make it even better.

It doesn't work for me. Still eyesbleeding fonts.

6 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

This is incorrect. It has nothing to do with user defined settings what so ever. It is the fact the game can not render in 1080P properly. My monitor can not output any other resolution than 1920x1080. This can not be changed. You would know this if someone in the company bought a 1080P monitor and actually tested it to see for themselves. This is not a user defined setting via windows or the video card. It is an an issue with the game itself. I'm starting to think I need to demand my money back from steam for this years version. Because it is starting feel like you will never be able to resolve this. Its been weeks, and the people working on it don't seem to even understand the actual issue is. No other piece of software has this issue. Not even older versions of FM. To emphasize this, if I hook up an old 1440 monitor to this PC (with no setting changes what so ever), it looks fine on that monitor. But I refuse to use that old small monitor. I want to use my nice big curved samsung 32" monitor that works flawlessly with everything but FM21. I'm a little shocked and flustered this is taking so long to figure out on your end. I provided all this info in the topic I created, which seems to have been ignored in favor of this one.

50 minutes ago, oulzac said:

This is incorrect. It has nothing to do with user defined settings what so ever. It is the fact the game can not render in 1080P properly. My monitor can not output any other resolution than 1920x1080. This can not be changed. You would know this if someone in the company bought a 1080P monitor and actually tested it to see for themselves. This is not a user defined setting via windows or the video card. It is an an issue with the game itself. I'm starting to think I need to demand my money back from steam for this years version. Because it is starting feel like you will never be able to resolve this. Its been weeks, and the people working on it don't seem to even understand the actual issue is. No other piece of software has this issue. Not even older versions of FM. To emphasize this, if I hook up an old 1440 monitor to this PC (with no setting changes what so ever), it looks fine on that monitor. But I refuse to use that old small monitor. I want to use my nice big curved samsung 32" monitor that works flawlessly with everything but FM21. I'm a little shocked and flustered this is taking so long to figure out on your end. I provided all this info in the topic I created, which seems to have been ignored in favor of this one.

It's also with HD-Laptops, not only Full HD... Sometimes I want to return the money for this, but I tried to solve this problem for 5 hours of playing, I'm afraid Steam won't return my money... Developers are more concerned with the Korean language in hotfixes than with the terrible fonts, and this is sad for a game with a price like as if it were an EA - AAA project.

Come on, SI, you need to hotfixed it, not excuses about screen settings.

Edited by LXLMR
37 minutes ago, oulzac said:

I share the same feelings, first time i buy a game and is literally unplayable, for a bug that has been reported from the first day of the beta. Frustating

Well, guys... I've been here before

FM20 had Bugs when was released, and they always blamed the user, the user's PC, they asked for logs, screenshots, latest version of Windows, latest version of nVidia drivers...and all that stuff...

And in the end, was SI fault...

The screenshot was given, the problem exist, fixes were released, and still nothing happened, THERE ARE NOT EVEN WHITE SKIN THIS YEAR...haha seems a joke! 

I played all the FM'S and none were blurred I didn't change any settings and the FM 21 was completely blurred. I tried to change everything and it doesn't work, I put everything back by default, I expect quick resolution, I can't play
12 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

default settings here. i have done a full system restore in windows too and am still getting blurry screen. annoying i still cant play this game :( 

There's a lot of users playing without blurry text issues, so it's not completely widespread. Regardless, we're looking to address the issue as soon as we're able to, so anyone who notices it or is affected by it should see an improvement.

Thanks. 

On 30/11/2020 at 17:24, Neil Brock said:

Mine are default too

On 30/11/2020 at 23:36, Neil Brock said:

There's a lot of users playing without blurry text issues, so it's not completely widespread. Regardless, we're looking to address the issue as soon as we're able to, so anyone who notices it or is affected by it should see an improvement.

Thanks. 

Let me ask you something. We do different jobs so we can get salaries and to afford buying games and other things in life that are needed, and now we cannot even play it. Do you think this seems fair for us to wait that long that you guys fix game, which is I am sure pretty simple problem to fix (I see this topic was made on november 10th, and you guys still didn't fix the problem)?! Obviously you guys don't give AF for us players. Just take money and after that when A LOT OF PEOPLE has problems you say "you guys are minority and it's not our top priority to fix this problem" (it sounded like that from your message above). Be fair and give us at least approximate date when the fix will be out... 

Edited by Dujo
25 minutos atrás, Dujo disse:

Let me ask you something. We do different jobs so we can get salaries and to afford buying games and other things in life that are needed, and now we cannot even play it. Do you think this seems fair for us to wait that long that you guys fix game, which is I am sure pretty simple problem to fix (I see this topic was made on november 10th, and you guys still didn't fix the problem)?! Obviously you guys don't give AF for us players. Just take money and after that when A LOT OF PEOPLE has problems you say "you guys are minority and it's not our top priority to fix this problem" (it sounded like that from your message above). Be fair and give us at least approximate date when the fix will be out... 

well said mate, lets hope someone speaks about it soon...

Here is a screenshot taken on a 1440p screen with 100% ingame-scaling.
The 2nd "Advanced" below was added outside of the game with what I think matches the ingame font (GT-America Regular)

font_rendering.png.505976141251808ab4ef2705cbc76c82.png

There is something very wrong with the font rendering as you can see alot of artefacts on the ingame fonts (and no that's not due to image compression).
It's my first FM and I didn't play yet, cause I just can't read the text. Very disappointing to say the least.

Another example showing the strange color artefacts (500% zoomed in from 100% ingame scaling).
For me that induces an impression of "flickering" that causes massive eye-strain.
font_rendering2.png.17711bf716b7cd31b6b260235ad1326d.png

Edited by Faronizer
55 minutes ago, Faronizer said:

The 2nd "Advanced" below was added outside of the game with what I think matches the ingame font (GT-America Regular)

There is something very wrong with the font rendering as you can see alot of artefacts on the ingame fonts (and no that's not due to image compression).
It's my first FM and I didn't play yet, cause I just can't read the text. Very disappointing to say the least.

we need to know if they will fix it. It has been many days since we reported this problem.

image.png.6dddc4b1a6976c0f3ce0b188daf455a5.png

for a bug that has been reported from the first day of the beta.

1 hora atrás, Faronizer disse:

Another example showing the strange color artefacts (500% zoomed in from 100% ingame scaling).
For me that induces an impression of "flickering" that causes massive eye-strain.
font_rendering2.png.17711bf716b7cd31b6b260235ad1326d.png

As I've said before...

Wow, well done bringing this image

The game seems unfinished, released just to be released, untested, the quality this year didn't seems the same...

FM has been in my life since i was a teenager, and this version seems to be the worst finished of all time

THERE'S NOT EVEN WHITE SKIN!!! HAHA

And why?

TO HIDE THE PROBLEM I THINK...

In a white skin...this blurry "feature" would be great...haha

new update, seems to have solved the problem

Minor Update 21.1.3 (includes but not limited to):
----------------------------------------------------------
- Updates to competition and registration rules in nations including Croatia, Israel, Romania, Portugal and South Korea
- Specific tweaks and updates to Brexit and work permit rules in-game
- Addressing in-game text appearing blurry in certain resolutions
- Crash and Stability fixes
- Editor fixes including those related to passing basic rules test and adding additional divisions
- Improvements to newgen generation in inactive leagues
- Reduced examples of lag appearing within development centre
- Fixed rare example where player could get stuck at kick-off after half time
- Addressed hotseat issue where 'awaiting media reaction' would stay on screen
- Touchline tablet no longer showing incorrect team on shot map
- Improved functionality of dragging players on squad screen

Edited by Levitte

For me it's not completely fixed either. On 150% ingaming scaling (1440p resolution) it looks fine now and white text does not have any colored subpixel.
However, 100% and 125% ingame scaling is just as bad as before with white text being distorted by colored pixel inducing a flickering / slight blur effect.

Not completely fixed for me either. The weird underline thing on bold text is gone. But it still has a bright fuzzy halo to all the white text in the game. Which makes it look very blurry and hard to read (and again, only in FM21). Also how do we still not have a dark or light official skin either? Why are we stuck with this purple only this year? I think that might be what is making it look so bad. I always switch to the dark theme.

EDIT: I just switched to a dark custom theme and it looks perfectly fine. But, the theme also changed the font as well. So I guess I'll just be playing with a custom themes only this year. So I guess thanks for the partial fix SI. At least its readable for me now with this non official theme.

Edited by oulzac
10 minutes ago, oulzac said:

Not completely fixed for me either. The weird underline thing on bold text is gone. But it still has a bright fuzzy halo to all the white text in the game. Which makes it look very blurry and hard to read (and again, only in FM21). Also how do we still not have a dark or light official skin either? Why are we stuck with this purple only this year? I think that might be what is making it look so bad. I always switch to the dark theme.

EDIT: I just switched to a dark custom theme and it looks perfectly fine. But, the theme also changed the font as well. So I guess I'll just be playing with a custom themes only this year. So I guess thanks for the partial fix SI. At least its readable for me now with this non official theme.

Which custom skin are you using? ^^

5 minutes ago, Faicoh said:

Which custom skin are you using? ^^

So far I've tried Heffem, Kojuro and Material (all can be found on FMScout website). And they all look better than the default skin. Not 100% prefect, but readable enough for me.

I just went and bought a $300 AOC (never heard of them before today) 4K monitor. Guess what, it looks amazing on that. I swap back to my $500 Samsung 1080P monitor, complete crap. I'll be selling the Samsung asap.

I got the feeling that it isn't the brand, the resolution, or another thing but the panel, IPS, VA, TN, PLS etc, behave differently, anyway great that they improved the text as it was unplayable, it isn't perfect and could do some sharpening but it's way better than before, weird that this game is the only one affected from my 100+ game library.

Well done improving it.

Edited by Martini
10 horas atrás, oulzac disse:

I just went and bought a $300 AOC (never heard of them before today) 4K monitor. Guess what, it looks amazing on that. I swap back to my $500 Samsung 1080P monitor, complete crap. I'll be selling the Samsung asap.

LOL What you mean?

SI and Football Manager team are acting together, for us to change our monitors??  HAHAHA