The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

January 2058: Job Update

My time in Naples was a hastening one, lasting a grand total of just 41 days. In that time we picked up just the one victory, and crashed out of the Coppa Itallia on penalties to AC Milan. Very quickly it became apparent I was not where I needed to be, and after applying for the vacant position at AC Milan I was relieved of my duties and departed the club. For me the biggest frustration was the lack of available money. Upon arrival I was presented a transfer budget of £17,000,000, but the wage bill was ludicrously low. I sold on a number of players raising transfer funds, but the board didn't give me any freedom to make new signings. I was unable to offer any appealing wages to new recruits and so the transfer window came and went without any new faces. Quickly results on the pitch started to deteriorate, and I was eventually relieved when they ended my contract. A hastening experience which did little to win me round to Italian football.

Having returned to the drawing board it felt really important that I made the right call with my next position. Napoli proved to be too much of a challenge, but I wasn't put off the idea of managing in Italy. Thankfully it didn't take me long to find my new position though, and I returned to club management hoping for a much better showing.

Takeover.png.79f7e57479584b8f953cf634561289dd.png

A huge opportunity that I simply couldn't pass up. Financially the club isn't much better off than Napoli, but the existing squad is much more impressive. I join the side sat in 5th placed, almost assured of continental football. I think the opportunity to compete near the top end of the league is much more achievable much quicker than with Napoli and I already feel much more suited to this club. For now my target is just to get my team settled for the rest of this season. Finishing in 5th would secure Europa League football and to be honest I would be happy enough with that. Longer term I want to win the Serie A title as soon as possible, and it would be nice to add the Coppa Italia as well. It won't be easy, but its definitely achievable.

Season	Club			Competition		Position	Notes & Achievements

2020/21 Uthongathi FC		SA First Division	2nd		
2021/22 Uthongathi FC		SA First Division	1st (C)		SA First Division Winners
2022/23 SuperSport United	SA Premier		2nd		SA Knockout Cup Winners
2023/24 SuperSport United	SA Premier		3rd		
2024/25 SuperSport United	SA Premier		2nd		Confederations Cup Winners, SA Cup Winners
2025/26 SuperSport United	SA Premier		1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Cup Winners, CAF Super Cup Winners, Super-8 Cup Winners, 
2026/27 SuperSport United	SA Premier		3rd		SA Knockout Cup Winners, CAF Champions League Winners
2027	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	6th		
2028	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	2nd		Chinese FA Cup Winners
2029	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	2nd		Asian Champions League Winners, Chinese FA Cup Winners
2030	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	1st (C)		Chinese Super League Winners, Chinese Super Cup Winners
2031	DC United		MLS East Conference	6th		
2032/33 River Plate		Argentinian Premier	5th		Copa Argentinos Winners
2033/34 River Plate		Argentinian Premier	2nd		Copa Sudamericana Winners, Copa Argentinos Winners, Argentinian Super Cup Winners, Sudamericana Super Cup Winners
2034/35 River Plate		Argentinian Premier	2nd		Copa Libertadores Winners, Sudamericana Super Cup Winners
2035	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	5th		MLS Western Conference Winners
2036	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	1st (C)		MLS Cup Winners, Supporters Shield Winners, MLS Western Conference Winners, Leagues Cup Winners
2037	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	1st		MLS Western Conference Winners, Supporters Shield Winners, Campeones Cup Winners
2038/39	Mainz FC/ Schalke 04	Bundesliga		-
2039	LA Galaxy		MLS Western Conference	5th		
2040	LA Galaxy		MLS Western Conference	1st		Supporters Shield Winners
2041	LA Galaxy		MLS Western Conference	-		CONCACAF Champions League Winners
2041/42	Bayer Leverkusen	Bundesliga		4th
2042/43	Bayer Leverkusen	Bundesliga		4th
2043/44 Bayer Leverkusen	Bundesliga		6th
2044/45 RB Leipzig		Bundesliga		7th
2045/46 RB Leipzig		Bundesliga		1st (C)		Bundesliga Winners
2046/47 RB Leipzig		Bundesliga		2nd		DFL Super Cup Winners
2047/48 RB Leipzig		Bundesliga		1st (C)		Bundesliga Winners
2048/49	-
2049/50	-
2050/51	AS Monaco		French Ligue 1		3rd		French Super Cup Winners	
2051/52	AS Monaco		French Ligue 1		3rd
2052/53 CF Valencia		La Liga			3rd		European Super Cup Winners, Copa del Rey Winners
2053/54	CF Valencia		La Liga			3rd		Spanish Super Cup Winners
2054/55	CF Valencia		La Liga			3rd
2055/56	CF Valencia		La Liga			1st (C)		La Liga winners, Spanish Super Cup Winners
2056/57 -
2057/58	Napoli			Serie A			-
2057/58	AC Milan		Serie A			TBC

Year		Nation			Honours
2042-2046	France			Nations League Winners (2043)
2046-2048	Columbia
2048-2049	Nigeria
2049-2051	Morocco			African Cup of Nations Winners (2051)
2054-2055	South Korea
2057-present	Brazil

5/10 top domestic leagues (2025/26 SA Premier League, 2030 Chinese Super League Winners, 2037 MLS Cup Winners, 2045/46 Bundesliga Winners, 2055/56 La Liga winners)
4/10 top domestic cups (2022/23 SA Knockout Cup, 2024/25 SA Cup Winners, 2028 Chinese FA Cup Winners, 2032/33 Copa Argentinos Winners, 2053 Copa del Rey Winners)
4/5 club continental championships (2026/27 CAF Champions League Winners, 2029 Asian Champions League Winners, 2034/35 Copa Libertadores Winners, 2041 CONCACAF Champions League Winners)
0/1 club world championship

1/5 continental competitions (2051 African Cup of Nations)
0/1 world tournaments

Edited by goonergez

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1138650080_Job2-ConnahsQuay.png.32cb527bd2bfabda03e2ad4eb9e98400.png

I've finally been given a chance at a bigger club, albeit still in the Cymru Premier. Connah's Quay finished last season in 3rd place and are predicted to finish 2nd this time round.
Hopefully I'm able to kick start my career here after hitting a wall at Afan Lido. Looking back at my time at Afan Lido, I think the clubs decision to go professional really hampered me, we ended up losing a lot of money having to sign every player at the club on professional terms which really tanked our finances. The clubs low reputation also meant I wasn't able to sign players that really improved on what I already had. I was never going to be pushing for a title challenge any time soon with Afan Lido. 

2132153194_ConnahsQuaybadge.png.19d3883e85d34c949144d89fe6eb360f.png

2025/26

My first game in charge at Connah's Quay did not go to plan, it was the 2nd leg of the Euro Conference league qualifiers. We went into the away game against St. Pats Athletic with a 2-1 advantage but ended up losing late on 1-0 and going out on away goals. My second game in charge was as equally disappointing. Losing on penalties against Bala in the first round of the Nathaniel MG Cup. Not a great start. 

We managed to put these two cup defeats behind us and made a good start to the league campaign, only losing to TNS within the first 11 matches. TNS were relentless, we just couldn't keep up with them and they only lost their first league game in game week 25, against us. So it was a comfortable 2nd place finish in my first season in charge at Connah's Quay, only 8 points behind TNS at the end and 16 points clear of Bangor City in 3rd. It's a shame that our points total would have been enough to win it last season. Our JD Welsh Cup campaign went the same way as the other cup competitions we were involved in, losing in the third round to Bangor CIty.

At the start of the season we poached a couple of youngsters from my old club Afan Lido, one of which became a big part of our starting XI, Gethin Blake a 20 year old centre half, he was named as our player of the season.  We really could do with scoring a few more goals next season, defensively we were sound and we played some good football at times, but never really capitalised on the number of chances created.

Since there's only a very small transfer budget and it's hard to convince people to join that would improve the squad I'm left hoping that a slight improvement amongst my younger players will be enough to close the gap on TNS next season.

Season		Club			League		Position	Notes/Achievements
2020/21         Afan Lido               Cymru South     6th             N/A
2021/22         Afan Lido               Cymru South     5th             N/A
2022/23         Afan Lido               Cymru South     1st             Cymru South Champions and Promotion
2023/24         Afan Lido               Cymru Premier   8th             N/A
2024/25         Afan Lido               Cymru Premier   9th             N/A
2025/26         Connah's Quay           Cymru Premier   2nd             N/A

Season 3 - 2023

Central_Espa%C3%B1ol.pngMontevideo City Torque - Wikipedia

First season in the Uruguayan top flight with Central Espanyol did not go to plan at all. We actually won our first two games but then the form descended and we only won 2 of the next 20 leaving us firmly bottom and staring down relegation.

Whilst I wanted to stay, keeping my reputation high was more important so I opted to switch across the capital to Montenegro City Torque - one of the Manchester City owned clubs - who sat 10th in the overall table. We had the full closing stage of the season to manage through and ended up second including a 2-0 win on the last day of the season to runaway champions Nacional. This has left us 6th in the overall table and me feeling good about our chances to compete next season. 

I don't actually know where the sixth place finish leaves us with continental football. I feel like we may be in the Copa Sudamericana but two weeks after the season and I'm yet to get the news article telling me what I'm getting. I've also noticed the Penarol job come up which I'll keep an eye on. I think with where I am I could mount a challenge for the Uruguayan league but I think I'm some way of challenging for the Copa Liberadores if I was to get there, so I think I need a middling job between where I am and one of the top level South American clubs who could challenge for it.

image.png.87959d427bfb1a8246ca4c8ec0b037fd.png

Season 2028

1200px-Guangzhou_Evergrande_Taobao_logo_svg.thumb.png.d2ac0573e2b49aac9f2dc3ed621dd49f.png

Well this is just a year of frustration again. More titles which is good but not the big one. Strengthened with some quality Chinese additions. A random Leading Star LW just appeared at Milan and he was a great contributor. Signed depay for cheap as well who contributed nicely. 

Super Cup- Absolutely smashed Shangong 7-1 with my new LW scoring 4. Comes up on my hall of fame so that’s cool for my overall rank and more points.

League

This was such a mixed season. Juggled this and the group stage massively. Was making 6 or changes quite regularly before a CL game and once or twice fully resting players. At the end of the group stage my league form collapsed; 2 draws and 3 losses in 5 games. My worse run and to put it into perspective I only dropped 16 pts all the previous season. Annoyingly; it meant I had to take the league seriously as I was 6th, 8 pts off the top and out of CL qualification. Out of my next 17 games I won 14, drew 2 and lost the one to take another league win. I only took the lead in the 3rd last game and secured automatic qualification on the Second last game. Do not know what happened in that streak but next season I’m really hoping i can avoid that so I can rotate more in the league.

Champions League- oh I am so annoyed by this. Cruised the group winning all 6 games conceding twice. round of 16 was a cruise against Melbourne City winning xx. I beat Central Coast Mariners 3-0 on aggregate to book a SF with Jeonbuk. I was completely dominating being up 4-1 but conceded 2 rubbish goals and won 4-3. Gojng into the away leg, I was 1-0 up, missed a pen the conceded twice to go out on away goals. Very very frustrating by what happened.

Cup- due to my struggles in the league I had to put some focus on the cup as a backup option just in case I needed it for CL qualification. The fixtures weren’t too bad in terms of timing and the only hard game leading into the final was the QF against Shenua but managed to get through that. I drew a first division side in the semis which allowed me to play my second string side. I had Shandong in the final.

So overall it was a frustrating season despite winning a domestic treble as I really want to get the CL done and dusted. I also got rejected by some good nations post euros and copa America so I’m still unemployed on the international front. I plan on really focusing on the foreign players; pogba is retiring; my LW is gonna be sold; Depay is starting to slow down so not sure what to do there  and I bought Shorestire in Jan who is now homesick. Board have given me 200 mil to spend: Defs gojng to get the Chinese RW I’ve been trying to get for the last 2 seasons. Some of my other Chinese players are really coming through nicely now which is giving me a good advantage. Other than that 5 game stint I really did dominate.  

2020/21 Uthongathi FC		SA First Division	3rd (promoted via playoffs)		
2021/22 Uthongathi FC		SA Premier League	4th
2022/23 Kaiser Chiefs	        SA Premier League       1st.  Won Knockout Cup and Be the Coach.
2023/2024 Kaiser Chiefs         SA Premier League       1st. Won Super 8 and Be the Coach. CL Finalists.
2024/25 Kaiser Chiefs SA Premier League 1st. Won Knockout Cup and Champions League.
2025    Guangzhao.               Chinese Super League.   3rd. Started in 3rd with 5 games to go.
2026    Guangzhao                Chinese Super League.   1st.  Lost the final of CFA Cup   
2027    Guanzhao                 Chinese Super League.   1st   CFA Cup winner
2028 Guangzhao           1st CFA Cup Winner  Super Cup Winner

International 
2021-2023. Nigeria. Lost in QF of AFCON. Sacked. 
2023- present- Ghana. Lost in R of 16 AFCON. Resigned before being sacked.
2026-2027 Ivory Coast AFCON Champsions. Resigned after.

2/10 top domestic leagues (2022/23, 23/24, 24/25 SA Premier League, 2026, 2027, 2028 CSL)
2/10 top domestic cups (2022/23, 24/25 SA Knockout Cup, 23/24 Super 8 winners (first 3 all South African(, 2027, 2028 CFA Cup)
1/5 club continental championships (2024/25 African Champions League)

1/5 continental competitions (2027 AFCON)
0/1 world tournaments

Season 2029

Well I’m in a bind. Got knocked out in the CL round of 16 in pens. Xg was 5.5-0.8 across the two legs so I’m very over it. Not sure what I’ll do at this stage.  Half tempted to resign to try something new. Can come back to Asia later. My team has been so unlucky in the CL and I’m at the point of accepting it’s not going to happen with this team. 

Either that or I’ll try pump out the season as quick as possible. Minimal highlights and assistant taking charge in the easy games

But yeah really not sure at this point. Definitely had enough of China that’s for sure. 

Happy to hear anyone’s thoughts 

Edited by SK

18 minutes ago, SK said:

Season 2029

Well I’m in a bind. Got knocked out in the CL round of 16 in pens. Xg was 5.5-0.8 across the two legs so I’m very over it. Not sure what I’ll do at this stage.  Half tempted to resign to try something new. Can come back to Asia later. My team has been so unlucky in the CL and I’m at the point of accepting it’s not going to happen with this team. 

Either that or I’ll try pump out the season as quick as possible. Minimal highlights and assistant taking charge in the easy games

But yeah really not sure at this point. Definitely had enough of China that’s for sure. 

Happy to hear anyone’s thoughts 

Even if you pick up the league / cups in every nation / continent you need to manage in, you would still have  1 extra nation you'd need to go to, so rather than hanging around China for another year, you could go to South Korea, but be warned. Korean clubs can be very sack happy; at least historically in the game. 

Also (in my admittedly very differently set-up English youth save) a Korean club has won the Champions League just once in my save's 30+ year history. Mind you, it does sound as though your side is a bit long in the tooth and you'll have to spend time on the rebuild. Of course you don't have to manage in Korea (or another Asian nation) next. 

Edited by vikeologist

Dunning Kreuger Season 2031-32 - Orlando Pirates

Before I discuss this season I'd like to note an error in my assessment of the previous year. I thought 67 points from 30 games was good, but not expect to win the league good. I wrote my last update right after the end of all my competitions, then a few game days later I saw this:

Spoiler

20210612143622_1.thumb.jpg.eaaa7255d7089d0757ba2a1971e4e360.jpg

Whether or not 67 points *should* win the league, it's apparently the highest ever total to *not* do so. That puts a bit of a different light on the last season and what it will take to dethrone Sundowns.

The Pirates off season saw a fairly high level of player turnover. In the closing months of the previous season I had identified 3 pending free agents to poach - 2 development prospects and a first team attacking mid. Those players arrived at the same time as 2 overpaid squad players were allowed to depart as free agents. I'd planned the summer transfer window as a squad refresh - it turned out to be a pretty intensive one, at least in the midfield. By the end of the window I'd sold 2 of last season's first team mids and (reluctantly) a backup attacker. To replace them I purchased 2 more very good young midfielders. A new CB was bought to provide depth but ended up looking like a regular starter, and a free agent left back who was expected to spend most of the season with the reserves closed out the window's dealings. Heading into the start of the SAPSL season I was confident my Pirates squad had the quality to challenge Sundowns and enough depth to handle the myriad cups we were contesting.

Preseason and and early rounds of the Super 8 were very good, but as soon as the SA Premier League season started we began to struggle. It didn't help that our first 3 games were against the 3 other best teams in the league, but it takes more than 1 point from those 3 games to mount a title challenge. Our performance in the Super 8 was fine - we lost the final to Sundowns on penalties. The SA Knockout Cup was a minor disappointment as we fell in extra time in the quarter final, but going a man down 25 minutes in did us no favors. Our league form improved, but still wasn't great until December. At the mid season break, we were 4th in the league, well below expectations and once again double digit points off the lead.

The African Champion's League group stage draw was rather kind to us this year, and we won all 6 group games at a trot. The Quarter Finals weren't much different as we easily dispatched ES Tunis. This set up a semi final meeting with our nemesis, the Mamelodi Sundowns. Irritatingly, we also were matched against them in the SA Cup semi final - to be played between the 2 legs of the ACL semi. We drew the first leg of the ACL semis 1-1, then lost the SA Cup semi 0-1. The second leg of the ACL semis also finished 1-1, and went straight to penalties where we lost 6-5 after 7 rounds.

Spoiler

20210615120231_1.thumb.jpg.85f15e80ecdab627963a5af739456566.jpg

Those losses were frustrating, but not crushing for the team. This took us into a very busy run to close out the regular season in May. Catching Sundowns for the league win was nearly out of the question, but a strong 2nd place finish was very much in reach, and important to set the club up for next season.

All said and done for the season, we did in fact finish second - the same as last season. We did so with slightly fewer points - 62 instead of 67, and Sundowns won the league again with 75 points - 3 more than last time. Overall, it was a disappointing season, both in the league and in our lack of any meaningful trophies elsewhere.

Spoiler

20210615155602_1.thumb.jpg.d0369092b58262231a385c8ee048d530.jpg

In fact, it was bad enough I almost expected to be fired around February or March. Instead, the board offered me a new contract. While I'd been planning to move on over the off season, I also want to win the league with Pirates. Since I've allowed myself to get a bit invested in that particular challenge, I took the new deal, and will give it one more shot.

I remain a bit surprised by this particular season. Overall, I think my Pirates squad was stronger than the previous year's - but the results don't bear that out. I'm also surprised by Sundowns improving from an already dominant performance, and can't afford to rule out more of the same. All that said, I got some very good news off the pitch after signing my new contract. The board expanded the stadium at the start of the year, and apparently founds some additional funds along the way. At the time I was spending roughly $5.5 million of $6.5 million in the payroll budget, and had about $7 million in transfer funds available. Neither of those felt particularly constrained - while there were a few players whose individual salary demands were outside the board's guides, very few players outside my allowable budgets were interested. But, as I said, the board found more money - my max salary budget went to almost $11 million, and the transfer budget to $26 million. We were already the 2nd highest spending team in the league, this leaves me with a payroll budget 50% greater than anyone else in South Africa is currently spending. I doubt I can spend more than half of the transfer funds available effectively with this team, but it will be interesting to try.

@SK For what it's worth, in my save I had success in the Asian Champion's League with an Australian team - around the same years you're at right now. Of course, they also have a very low salary cap and some finicky registration rules which makes squad building there a challenge. I also don't have China loaded in my database, so that may have a bit of an impact.... :)

Crest.png.671d684e58ff62b52a51098f69c3fd96.png

AC Milan: 2057/58 Review

A short spell in Naples drew to a close swiftly and saw me land on my feet with AC Milan. Sat in 5th place I didn’t face a great deal of pressure as I looked to guide my side through the remainder of the season. I joined after the close of the January transfer window meaning I had a few months to assess the players and begin to look at what areas need to be improved. Money is a bit of an issue here, so clearing some high earners off of the wage bill will be one of the priorities for the summer window.

1922246012_FinalTable.png.1cf679c0b73dc175e1623d4a64814110.png

In the league my side responded pretty well to my arrival and we produced some solid enough performances. A 3-0 victory over fierce rivals Inter the highlight of my reign so far. Defensively the side needs work, but we never looked like dropping down the table. My arrival saw a six point gap to 4th spot, but victory on the final day saw us leapfrog and finish one place higher. We basically achieved all that we could since I turned up here.

Outside of the league things didn’t go so well though. My first two matches in charge were a Europa League double header with Standard Liege, of which we won both to progress. Next up we’re arsenal who gave us a real hiding. A 1-3 defeat at home was followed by a 0-4 thumping to see us crash out in real style. We'd already been eliminated from the Coppa Italia before my arrival as manager.

Now the hard work begins for me as I look to make this club more competitive. Financially the situation has improved and the board have increased my wage budget. There is now money in both the transfer and wage budgets in order for me to try and build a competitive squad. I’m confident I can bring in the right faces, and hopefully next season we can challenge across all fronts. For now my attention shifts though, as my Brazil side travel to America for the World Cup. We’re expected to do well, and I am keen to ensure we go a long way in the competition.

2024/25 SuperSport United	SA Premier		2nd		Confederations Cup Winners, SA Cup Winners
2025/26 SuperSport United	SA Premier		1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Cup Winners, CAF Super Cup Winners, Super-8 Cup Winners, 
2026/27 SuperSport United	SA Premier		3rd		SA Knockout Cup Winners, CAF Champions League Winners
2029	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	2nd		Asian Champions League Winners, Chinese FA Cup Winners
2030	Beijing Gouan		Chinese Super League	1st (C)		Chinese Super League Winners, Chinese Super Cup Winners
2033/34 River Plate		Argentinian Premier	2nd		Copa Sudamericana Winners, Copa Argentinos Winners, Argentinian Super Cup Winners, Sudamericana Super Cup Winners
2034/35 River Plate		Argentinian Premier	2nd		Copa Libertadores Winners, Sudamericana Super Cup Winners
2035	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	5th		MLS Western Conference Winners
2036	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	1st (C)		MLS Cup Winners, Supporters Shield Winners, MLS Western Conference Winners, Leagues Cup Winners
2037	Seattle Sounders	MLS Western Conference	1st		MLS Western Conference Winners, Supporters Shield Winners, Campeones Cup Winners
2048/49	-
2049/50	-
2052/53 CF Valencia		La Liga			3rd		European Super Cup Winners, Copa del Rey Winners
2055/56	CF Valencia		La Liga			1st (C)		La Liga winners, Spanish Super Cup Winners
2056/57 -
2057/58	AC Milan		Serie A			4th
2058/59	AC Milan		Serie A			TBC

Year		Nation			Honours
2046-2048	Columbia
2048-2049	Nigeria
2054-2055	South Korea
2057-present	Brazil

5/10 top domestic leagues (2025/26 SA Premier League, 2030 Chinese Super League Winners, 2037 MLS Cup Winners, 2045/46 Bundesliga Winners, 2055/56 La Liga winners)
4/10 top domestic cups (2022/23 SA Knockout Cup, 2024/25 SA Cup Winners, 2028 Chinese FA Cup Winners, 2032/33 Copa Argentinos Winners, 2053 Copa del Rey Winners)
4/5 club continental championships (2026/27 CAF Champions League Winners, 2029 Asian Champions League Winners, 2034/35 Copa Libertadores Winners, 2041 CONCACAF Champions League Winners)

0/1 world tournaments

Hello everyone. I'm completely new to the community challenges on FM.

When starting this challenge, which nations/leagues to people use as a base?

I'm guessing we add and remove leagues as we move around the world in search of greatness.

Do people add lower league downloads?

2132153194_ConnahsQuaybadge.png.19d3883e85d34c949144d89fe6eb360f.png

2026/27

Second season at Connah's Quay started off brightly, we navigated the first qualifying round of the Uefa Conference league with ease, beating Maltese based Birkirkara FC 10-0 on aggregate. Unfortunately we were drawn against Spartak Moscow in the next round. Despite a giving a good account of ourselves over the two legs we ended up losing 4-1 on aggregate.
We put the disappointment of losing to Spartak Moscow behind us and made a positive start in the league, keeping pace with TNS and Bangor City who had also outlined their intentions for a title challenge. 

20 games into the season and approaching the point where the league splits into two we were only a couple points off TNS at the top and we had back to back games with 9th placed Cefn Druids coming up. We had put ourselves in a fantastic place to take the title challenge down to the wire... I'm not entirely sure what on earth happened, but we absolutely hammered them in both games and managed to lose both! It was unreal (typical football manager stuff). We never recovered.

Of our next 10 (YES TEN!) league games we picked up 1 (YES ONE!) single point and I was fired with three games to go. Not even a mid season friendly win against some minnows helped us get out of the slump we were in. By far the most frustrating season I've ever experienced. James Crole has got a lot to answer to if I ever bump into him, it's almost like he was trying NOT to score!

1380868968_Poorform.png.efdc58fb72174fa2e42c02daf269eee8.png

124789239_ConnahsQuay-SACKED.png.f42fb436f95b0cabc4b3c55573d3d08c.png

Can't be many people sacked so early trying this challenge?! Hopefully I won't find myself out of a job for too long, though the realisation that I may have to drop back down into a second tier somewhere doesn't fill me with any joy whatsoever!

2022/23         Afan Lido               Cymru South     1st             Cymru South Champions and Promotion
2026/27         Connah's Quay           Cymru Premier   5th*            *Sacked with 3 games to go

@vikeologist Yes that’s a very good point. Had thought of that as well. To be honest, as much as finishing the challenge would be good, I was enjoying the more random aspect of bouncing around to new teams and didn’t want to get bogged down too much. Also didn’t realise Korean managers would be so trigger happy either @Gammonds I saw that. Very impressive as the A-league is pretty bad 😂. Did you find that your team was a match for the good sides in the comp or did you ride your luck a bit against them?

Edited by SK

6 hours ago, SK said:

@Gammonds I saw that. Very impressive as the A-league is pretty bad 😂. Did you find that your team was a match for the good sides in the comp or did you ride your luck a bit against them?

I think I benefited from FM being FM - it felt like my side was on level terms with everyone else in the competition despite the financial disparity. I'm also confident that what I had loaded mattered a whole lot - Korea and Australia were the only Asian nations in my DB. Both of those leagues have limits on foreign players, so salary cap or no you can only pull in so many outsiders, and the lower rep limits the draw for the really good ones. But, because those 2 nations were actually simming the matches, they got the player development, and places like China and Saudi Arabia didn't - at least in my save.

That's also not to say there wasn't plenty of luck involved - I didn't expect to win that competition on my first entry for sure, but 2 wins in a row lead me to think my squad deserved to be there.

8 hours ago, anorthernboy said:

Hello everyone. I'm completely new to the community challenges on FM.

When starting this challenge, which nations/leagues to people use as a base?

I'm guessing we add and remove leagues as we move around the world in search of greatness.

Do people add lower league downloads?

Yes, you should add / remove leagues as you go around. The game is stable enough for you to do this.

You can't add any custom databases (other than official SI ones, should they exist).

I'd suggest looking through the third post in the thread for more guidance, including the different main routes one can take to your accurately identified greatness.

@Gammonds

Oh yeah ok that makes sense. That’s good then, thinking I’ll have to go to my home town (Brisbane Roar) and try win it with them.

I feel like I’m Pep Guardiola, winning leagues and cups for fun but cooking the CL. 

You are right though. Two in a row is amazing. Chinese clubs have a massive budget but I was surprised by the lack of really good players who didn’t want to join and the Chinese players are pretty average bar a few. Kept failing FFP so could only sign 2 over 20 Chinese players a season which was annoying. 

2000044276.png.81ffdb0b2ebce694ec5f03df976f722a.png

Crispypaul
Cape Town Spurs

South African 1st Division
2020/21

League - Season Review 1 - Season Review 2 - we were predicted first and comfortably won the league at a canter

Nedbank Cup  - Fixtures - decent run to the quarters

Finances - appalling!  We only had an average attendance of 450 or so (I am not sure this is covid related though) and prize money is negligible.  I did get one coaching course in but that's it so far.

Transfers - offloaded some of the higher eearners to keep the club afloat

Squad

Key players:

Victor Obinna - only signed in January but the experienced Nigerian international was our 2nd top scorer

Kegan Johannes - solid right back

Dale Wakefield - flying right winger

Ace Sali - experienced central midfielder

Solly Khunyedi - loaned the striker from PSL side Stellenbosch and was our top scorer

Future - I have another year on my contract so staying for now but will see how the financial situation develops.

Domestic
Season	 Team			Division		Position			Notes						
2020/21  Cape Town Spurs     	South African 1st  	 1st				Champions, Promoted

International
Year	   Team					Achievements

Challenge Progress

Club
 0/10 top domestic leagues 
 0/10 domestic cups 
 0/5 club continental championships

International
 0/5 continental tournaments
 0/1 world tournaments 

Crest.png.580ac85b67207e240ce4e76adff01464.png

Brazil: 2058 World Cup

My early days with AC Milan proved pretty impressive, but quickly attention had to shift to the World Cup. Taking my Brazil side to America brought a lot of hope and expectation and that included from myself. Ranked third in the world we entered as one of the favourites, and hopes were high for a really good showing. Personally I wanted us to go really deep into the tournament, preferably having a real go at trying to win it. At worst I wanted a good enough showing to keep my job though, with the aim of having a shot at the Copa America in a couple of years time. Any disappointment here would probably take that opportunity away from me. The squad I took to the tournament didn’t surprise anybody really. 34-year old PSG winger Joao Luis was probably the most intriguing to travel, although it was the exclusion of striker Vanderson that did send shockwaves. I signed him for AS Monaco back when I was there, but I didn’t see him producing here despite a positive campaign in France.

Prior to the tournament we played two friendly matches as I looked to get the squad gelled and ready for the challenges ahead. Two much changed sides were named, but we picked up two very efficient and useful victories. In all honesty anything other than victory in either game would’ve been an embarrassment, but it was pleasing nonetheless. This had me believing we were in a good place ahead of the tournament kicking off. We went into our group with matches against Poland and Haiti.

Opening against Poland we produced a fantastic performance to see them off 4-0 and kickstart our run. An early goal sent us in our way as we completely outplayed them from the first kick. Next up was Haiti and despite making changes to the side we again picked up a win. A 3-0 score line didn’t flatter us as we booked our place in the knockout stage of the tournament.

Run.png.4499da2a6677f221fa1bed8d020e5ac0.png

The second round was one I was scared of after an early exit once in charge of France. Congo were no match for us though, and an early goal ended up making the game more than comfortable. We couldn’t add a second until a 76th minute penalty, but when that went in the tie was over. Next up was turkey in what should have been our biggest test of the tournament to that stage. In the end after a shaky opening we produced another fantastic performance to book a spot in the quarter finals.  Next up came an all South American quarter final tie against Uruguay and a real big task. We got the win courtesy of a first half penalty, but in truth we struggled through this game. Uruguay caused us all sorts of problems defensively, but somehow we stayed firm to book a semi-final berth against Mexico.

1797377555_Semiloss.png.f8fe524173d03644928c30f0241fc8fd.png

Hardly a surprise, but the semi-final proved to be our toughest test. 3rd versus 4th in the world promised to be tense, and it definitely was. We did well to fight back from a goal down to make extra time, before one of my former club level players gave us the lead. Right on the stroke of extra time half time we conceded a ridiculous own goal though, and then had to sit back and soak up endless pressure. Somehow we held on and it was left to the lottery of a penalty shoot out to separate us. An early Mexican miss left us in charge before centre back Jaderson missed our final kick to take it into sudden death. At 4-5 down Valdeci whacked his kick wide and just like that we were out. A truly gutting end to a pretty good tournament for us. To get that close and miss out on even the final is disappointing though, and sure to bring with it plenty of question marks about my future. We went on to lose 0-2 to Serbia in the third placed play off game in what was an awful performance.

2048/49	-
2049/50	-
2056/57 -
2058/59	AC Milan		Serie A			TBC

Year		Nation			Honours
2046-2048	Columbia
2048-2049	Nigeria
2054-2055	South Korea
2057-present	Brazil

0/1 world tournaments

7 hours ago, goonergez said:

Crest.png.580ac85b67207e240ce4e76adff01464.png

Brazil: 2058 World Cup

My early days with AC Milan proved pretty impressive, but quickly attention had to shift to the World Cup. Taking my Brazil side to America brought a lot of hope and expectation and that included from myself. Ranked third in the world we entered as one of the favourites, and hopes were high for a really good showing. Personally I wanted us to go really deep into the tournament, preferably having a real go at trying to win it. At worst I wanted a good enough showing to keep my job though, with the aim of having a shot at the Copa America in a couple of years time. Any disappointment here would probably take that opportunity away from me. The squad I took to the tournament didn’t surprise anybody really. 34-year old PSG winger Joao Luis was probably the most intriguing to travel, although it was the exclusion of striker Vanderson that did send shockwaves. I signed him for AS Monaco back when I was there, but I didn’t see him producing here despite a positive campaign in France.

Prior to the tournament we played two friendly matches as I looked to get the squad gelled and ready for the challenges ahead. Two much changed sides were named, but we picked up two very efficient and useful victories. In all honesty anything other than victory in either game would’ve been an embarrassment, but it was pleasing nonetheless. This had me believing we were in a good place ahead of the tournament kicking off. We went into our group with matches against Poland and Haiti.

Opening against Poland we produced a fantastic performance to see them off 4-0 and kickstart our run. An early goal sent us in our way as we completely outplayed them from the first kick. Next up was Haiti and despite making changes to the side we again picked up a win. A 3-0 score line didn’t flatter us as we booked our place in the knockout stage of the tournament.

Run.png.4499da2a6677f221fa1bed8d020e5ac0.png

The second round was one I was scared of after an early exit once in charge of France. Congo were no match for us though, and an early goal ended up making the game more than comfortable. We couldn’t add a second until a 76th minute penalty, but when that went in the tie was over. Next up was turkey in what should have been our biggest test of the tournament to that stage. In the end after a shaky opening we produced another fantastic performance to book a spot in the quarter finals.  Next up came an all South American quarter final tie against Uruguay and a real big task. We got the win courtesy of a first half penalty, but in truth we struggled through this game. Uruguay caused us all sorts of problems defensively, but somehow we stayed firm to book a semi-final berth against Mexico.

1797377555_Semiloss.png.f8fe524173d03644928c30f0241fc8fd.png

Hardly a surprise, but the semi-final proved to be our toughest test. 3rd versus 4th in the world promised to be tense, and it definitely was. We did well to fight back from a goal down to make extra time, before one of my former club level players gave us the lead. Right on the stroke of extra time half time we conceded a ridiculous own goal though, and then had to sit back and soak up endless pressure. Somehow we held on and it was left to the lottery of a penalty shoot out to separate us. An early Mexican miss left us in charge before centre back Jaderson missed our final kick to take it into sudden death. At 4-5 down Valdeci whacked his kick wide and just like that we were out. A truly gutting end to a pretty good tournament for us. To get that close and miss out on even the final is disappointing though, and sure to bring with it plenty of question marks about my future. We went on to lose 0-2 to Serbia in the third placed play off game in what was an awful performance.

What a journey. 

Can I ask which leagues and set up you started with?

Season 2029

1200px-Guangzhou_Evergrande_Taobao_logo_svg.thumb.png.7e5ea5e47fc6e1dd40c7afc51c4976f0.png

So as you saw my CL journey ended abruptly. I decided to finish the season out, and honestly there isn't much to report. I won the league at a canter winning it by 12 points.

No surprise really and I know my side is too strong for the league.

I won the Super Cup at the beginning of the season which took me to number 1 in the Chinese League Hall of Fame which is kinda cool. Shows the dominance.

909176645_ScreenShot2021-06-12at2_38_24pm.thumb.png.2474d42dcec4f417205d87b542d9902e.png

I lost the cup in the 4th round in pens; really wasnt bothered by this and had rested my entire team for it.

I have decided to go around again; though I am thinking it will be my last season.

1200px-Mexico_national_football_team_badge_svg.thumb.png.7eb4a7203a44d4d3919dc64e467c52a9.png

998952646_ScreenShot2021-06-16at8_00_02pm.thumb.png.c5d139873e7b3f97dafb0d282e4f589c.png

On a great note; I finally landed another international job now taking charge of Mexico. I had 4 WCQ's, won all 4 and have promptly qualified for the World Cup which will be my first time which I am excited for. Really just want to make sure I stay in the job for the Gold Cup so I can try and knock that tournament off. Mexico alongside USA look the best teams by a fair margin.

2022/23 Kaiser Chiefs	        SA Premier League       1st.  Won Knockout Cup and Be the Coach.
2023/2024 Kaiser Chiefs         SA Premier League       1st. Won Super 8 and Be the Coach. CL Finalists.
2024/25 Kaiser Chiefs SA Premier League 1st. Won Knockout Cup and Champions League.
2025    Guangzhao.               Chinese Super League.   3rd. Started in 3rd with 5 games to go.
2026    Guangzhao                Chinese Super League.   1st.  Lost the final of CFA Cup   
2028   Guangzhao                 Chinese Super League   1st CFA Cup Winner  Super Cup Winner
2029.  Guangzhao                Chinese Super League    1st Super Cup Winner

International 
2029- present     Mexico

2/10 top domestic leagues (2022/23-2024/25 SA Premier League, 2026-2029 CSL)
2/10 top domestic cups (2022/23, 24/25 SA Knockout Cup, 23/24 Super 8 winners (first 3 all South African(, 2027, 2028 CFA Cup)
1/5 club continental championships (2024/25 African Champions League)

0/1 world tournaments

SURD - SEASON 2/3ish.......2020/2021 SEASON!

It's been a loooong time, without you FM, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again. Sorry FM, I've been busy with a new console and this rather fell by the wayside. Fortunately, JRPGs lend themselves to multitasking during menus and cutscenes!

This was a weird one, at the end of the last check-in I'd just been snapped up by the Gabon National Team while I was applying for every job on the market (much like real life.....apart from the Gabon bit......anyway). They were gearing up to World Cup Qualifiers and the African Cup of Nations, but that wasn't until well into 2021 and I'd left off at the tail end of 2020. So continue with the search for a club job went on. Here is where I discovered a secret which explains why I hadn't been posting updates. When you load every nation the game has for a laugh this is what happens to your laptop: 

image.png.4607c099cd23283a338471e9e3fdbafe.png   
I swear I nearly melted the sofa at times at it ticked one day in 3 minutes.

Anyway. Eventually, all this applying and refreshing led to a genuine first for me in over 15 years of playing FM. I was offered the job of a team who were TWO MATCHES OUT FROM WINNING THE LEAGUE!!!

I know. Flipping weird mate! So, ahem, allow me to introduce you to the GIANTS of Malaysian football:  Johor Darul Ta'zim.

image.thumb.png.ee539f201c24262b78cb5154a03449c6.png

BAD ASS CLUB BADGE AMIRITE?!?!?!?

These guys are the Man City of Malaysia, no history, founded in 2012, suddenly winning everything. You've gotta hate it. They might as well be called Red Bull Johor.  So why on Earth sack your manager on the eve of victory? Well, when you have a board DEMANDING that you win EVERYTHING, when you fall out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round, it's not going to end well, this caused catastrophic morale amongst the squad and they just nosedived, despite needing 4 points to clinch the title, they just couldn't do it, so out he went!

497044155_Screenshot2021-06-16at20_22_53.thumb.png.f87b05bef0a35daafb015c3b7dd218dd.png

As you can see, from that point on, I took over, signed some of the Malaysian team (you're only allowed 4 foreign players and only 3 of those can be non-Asian) to cover key positions, with a budget of £3,000,000, national players costing a maximum of £50,000 was like I was playing with cheats on!

1159977439_Screenshot2021-06-16at20_24_55.thumb.png.c72164883df5c927b220e3762848e9fd.png

Quick question, I won a domestic trophy which closes out the season, but from what I can tell, the Malaysian Cup is massively pre-dated by 80 years by the Malaysian FA Cup. The FA Cup also decides an Asian Champions League space. I'd say it was akin to the English League Cup. So does this count towards the domestic trophy count? Asking for a friend.  

Anyway, easy win after easy win, the odd draw, and romped all the way to the end of the season just in time to sort out Gabon!

image.png.53c75a8ba5a6f63a3c44148fb6ee6084.png

ANOTHER BADASS CLUB BADGE!! ALL HAIL FEGAFOOT!!!! That's my new name for football from now on!

643566003_Screenshot2021-06-16at20_35_44.thumb.png.d9eccd014a8c501ba270849795cfaf79.png

Operation Save Gabon Stage 1: GET THAT GOONER BACK IN THE SQUAD!!

It took some serious number of attempts and trying all of the options, but in the end he was won round at the idea of being a guiding influence to the younger generation. Top tip if you need it! I had to wait a month or so between attempts to win him round, and it was getting real annoying, but he's the only proper superstar on the team. Lamina of Southampton isn't too bad, but nothing on Pierre! I beat Liberia, but sans George Weah, who couldn't?! Then a 0-0 with Cameroon before the main man came back into the squad.

Operation Save Gabon Stage 2: Qualify for the World Cup.

I had very low hopes from the board, they only wanted to reach the Second Round (the group stages) and don't mind how I do at the African Cup of Nations. AMATEURS!! I'll show you! I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!! ........ahem.  

1111259124_Screenshot2021-06-16at20_49_45.thumb.png.b656d1627aa7fa1996dc8a10efbd1b8e.png

The group went well, but I was up against it from qualifier favourites Nigeria. I figured if I could snatch a point from them somewhere, I could do it. AND DO IT I DID! After the 1-0 against Chad, the results at the bottom tell the story. Gabon and Nigeria trading head to head, even the goal difference was the same leading into the final matchday where the two leaders faced off. No guts no glory! And boy did we squeak out a win! It was a rough game, tons of bookings (6) and fouls (27!), and Lemina got hospitalised with a broken something. But we did it, the boyhood dream come true, and with a tear in my eye, we rolled on to the next stage. Interestingly Aubameyang didn't make all the difference like I thought he would, the goals and assists were shared out amongst the team quite evenly. All that faff for nothing, eh?

Finally, the knockouts came and I got the unenviable task of taking on Cameroon to get through to the first World Cup for Gabon, surprising considering some of the talent in the squad, well just Aubameyang and Lamina but still.

I went up 2-0 in the home leg with two goals from Jim Allevinah of Ligue 2's Clermont, then falling to a desperate 1-0 loss in the second leg where most of the team got booked, but we hung on!

1309846080_Screenshot2021-06-17at12_38_02.thumb.png.e16546cce0cd3221d3b93f27ff0531a8.png

Either way party time!

376367107_Screenshot2021-06-17at12_38_54.thumb.png.18313601fb442d9fa2e39068cadbcbb8.png

Next up: I figure both my teams are pretty decent at the moment, a few additions to Johor and I think we could make a decent run at the Asian Champions League, definitely win the major domestic trophy and recapture the league. As for Gabon, I don't know if the African Cup of Nations is a possibility, there are some big teams in there, but I've beaten two of them in the World Cup Qualifiers.

Domestic 
Season	Club				Competition			Position	Notes & Achievements
2019/20 SH Shenxin			Chinese National 1st Div 	11th		Great Escape Season (0 points at the midpoint to survival)		
2020/21 Johor DT			Malaysian Super League		1st		Malaysian Cup Winners

International
Year		Nation			Honours
2020		Vanuatu			Oceania Nations Cup
2021		Gabon			African World Cup Qualification

1/10 top domestic leagues
0/10 top domestic cups 
0/5 club continental championships 

1/6 continental competitions - (Oceania Nations Cup)
0/1 world tournaments

Total: 2/33

15 hours ago, anorthernboy said:

What a journey. 

Can I ask which leagues and set up you started with?

I’ve never run that many leagues as I’ve tried to protect the speed of the save. I started with South Africa and China loaded and have then just chopped and changed as I’ve gone on. I’ve always tried to have my next step planned out so I’m running sort of two nations at a time. I’m in 2058 and my save is still running fairly quickly which has surprised me. Just be aware of the aforementioned issue with regards to adding new leagues. It’s on the previous page of this thread somewhere whereby you need to make sure you don’t leave the game until after the date the new nation is due. Something like that anyways.

2033/34

See the source image

EVERTON

WORLD CLUB CUP

This tournament took place (in England) at the end of last season but wasn't included in my review as to be honest I didn't even know I was going to in it or had qualified for it and I am not sure how I did with only 2 seasons of finishing runners up in the premier league and a europa conference trophy to our names since joining the ev.

image.png.f2e4556b7bc4983afe429c2b7dd9cf66.png

Managed to get an important win on our arch rivals Liverpool 3-2 to see us progress to the quarters where we swept Boca Jnrs aside 5-1

image.png.7986bb28149dd78e970ee680ee535830.png

Final v Guardiola's city 

image.png.81a76d894d4d47b81a2860fb75984d7f.png

The long wait for the Tenth trophy finally over!.... should set us up well for a big season! :\

LEAGUE CUP

image.png.c0a2c2f6cda2501dcf6aaf5c81295d74.png

The penalty hoodoo finally broken in the quarters v Arsenal and after a 2-2 Draw at Anfield in the first leg of the semi's we looked like we were all set up to finish them off at goodison ..3-0 defeat and for the second season in a row we go out to Liverpool. Leeds unable to retain the trophy

FA CUP

image.png.1f3e908c50e1a5bca7b370255f4de41f.png

Yep, another defeat to Liverpool in a semi final as they add the fa cup to the league cup they already won.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

image.png.9f2bc2a8f59765bfc779f13f8f3839d6.png

image.png.349928e04defe2b458ba784de719c203.png

PENALTIES ...AGAIN :seagull: won the first leg at home 1-0, squandered around 4-5 great chances in the away leg... City retained the CL ..Guardiola was sacked the following day!

PREMIER LEAGUE 

image.png.c60ad5d36d0786478fca2dda81de7eb5.png

9pts down on last season's total.. just too many draws... Liverpool had a terrible league campaign and missed out on CL which was a small consolation.

INTERNATIONAL

1200px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png

-SPAIN-

image.png.56a42b39dda68ca25546b6802cac1b35.png

World cup qualification easily navigated onto the world cup in China!

image.thumb.png.76ab3b4f37c2761456a9489bab8ac012.png

image.png.b03f3fe5a0aaf403d9b353517db0d871.png

So we made the world cup final! 4 years ago in the last final I was England manager and we lost to Spain.

This time I an Englishman was taking my spain side to face Unai Emery's (a Spaniard) England

image.png.a1eeb2caac25e925b90f1ba759968f41.png

And of course ...we lost. making that back to back defeats in world cup finals :(.

Having already won the euro's previously with england there was no point hanging around for 4 years till the next world cup so I resigned from Spain... The Brazil & Argentina jobs were available so with a view to lookin at getting the copa america won at some point I applied for both.

image.png.8fe91c371e8aecdbccec6eaf854e3eac.png

Brazil it is!

WHAT'S NEXT

3 whole seasons now with Everton without a domestic trophy in the cabinet and the frustration is building. I am going to blow up the squad this summer and give it a complete revamp... could go one of 2 ways!

I am fully invested in winning at least the prem with Everton and don't see myself leaving until I have achieved this or been sacked. 

The unexpected bonus of winning the world club cup was well received but it should have acted as a spring board for the next season but sadly it didn't.

A second consecutive world cup final defeat was another kick in the teeth.

The targets for the up coming season are either win at least one of the league, fa cup or CL with Everton and the copa america with Brazil!

image.thumb.png.45691314e6ce607febe6b7007da6225c.png

image.png.ad53d4a7e81620d8aa3e3b5b1e2fe21d.png

Out of a job for the first time in my career and struggling with finding a team willing to give me an interview. It was looking like I may end up back in the second tier of Welsh football!
That was until I was given an opportunity to take charge of the Nigerian u23's... With the Africa Cup of Nations u23 tournament just a few months away I thought it was a good opportunity to get myself some silverware with what is regarded as one of the better nations on this continent.

1827474292_NigeriaU21Job.png.a8dcc7eb62ed01f05a54528e27cfa0a0.png

1453540790_Nigeriabadge.png.427057a8a10eb9824e700a911b4f497e.png

Our first job was to secure qualification for the u23's Africa Cup Of Nations which was only two months away. We only had Mozambique standing in our way in the final round of the qualifiers. We dispatched of them all too easily with an aggregate 7-1 score line. Patrick Yahara, a pacey winger currently at Arsenal was outstanding in both legs with a brace of goals in the first leg and then a brace of assists in the second. We had one friendly lined up in preparation for the finals, Algeria u23's who also qualified for the tournament. It was another convincing win, this time 4-1.

First up in the group stage was DR Congo, brushed aside in a straight forward 3-1 win. Our second match was against Mali, who we absolutely slaughtered in a 7-0 win. With the Semi finals already qualified for it gave me a chance to rest a few players for our final group game against current holders South Africa. It was a ridiculous game, ending 4-4 but could have easily been 8-8.

So onto the semi's where we were up against Algeria, who we had beaten comfortably in a friendly before the tournament. The win was a little harder to come this time around but we were in total control of the game. Our patience was rewarded in the 53rd minute when we finally broke the deadlock, the second goal only took another 6 minutes. 

The final saw us up against South Africa for the second time this tournament. We took an early lead, heading home from a corner. But within 7 minutes they'd equalised completely against the run of play after a quick and incisive counter attack. We continued to control the game and went ahead once again on the half hour mark. The game continued in nervy fashion with us dominating the possession but unable to create a clear cut opportunity, that was until the 74th minute when we deservedly went two goals clear. A late consolation from South Africa meant the last few minutes were tense, but we held on to win the title!

340784429_Nigeriau23sAFCONChamps.png.00ee649814e2846aef40e144fe1c825a.png

2026/27         Connah's Quay           Cymru Premier   5th*            *Sacked with 3 games to go
2027/28         N/A

International
Season          Nation                  Notes/Achievements
2027            Nigeria u23's           African Cup Of Nations u23 Champions

On 05/03/2021 at 15:34, vikeologist said:

I certainly don't frown on it.

It's a tricky enough challenge without trying to dig yourself out of holes.

Also, bad database choices can make the challenge unachievable.

If you started again with the exact same side, well, that would still be sort of ok, but I don't think that's what you meant anyway.

Worth noting that I was the second person to ever start this challenge, and I soon started again from scratch, having discovered one such self dug hole. (Look at a club / team before you take the first job offered you). I've done this challenge a few times, and I think that first Ultimate Challenge job might still be the worst one I've ever accepted. An utter black hole of inevitable failure. 

I suffered for you.

Very briefly.

What are the best database choices? I'm just about to start for the first ever time.

8 hours ago, anorthernboy said:

What are the best database choices? I'm just about to start for the first ever time.

Starting with the largest possible database your computer can comfortably deal with is obviously best. I'm not talking about leagues here. I'd suggest starting with very few leagues. Why not just make a decision which nation you want to start in? Th thing to bear in mind though is that you might win the league in our first year. So, if you load Malaysia for instance and win the league in year one, you need to have a second nation loaded so you can get that second job. Obviously if you start in for instance the S African second division, you have your progression available in bigger S African clubs.

But the database size can come into play, especially with Asia, and that's why you want to have as many Asian players in your game as possible. Again, look at the third post in the thread. But I'll repost a sentence here.

I recommend using the advanced option when setting up the game to add current international players from Asia. This should increase the number of nations available to manage in Asia, and make it easier to win the Asian Cup.

If you have a powerful computer, I'd add even more players from Asia, and probably current international footballers from Africa, but the above should be just about enough for you to not run out of nations to manage. This isn't so you can get an international job straight away, and I'll give you a spoiler, I don;t think you should go for an international job straight away. But 50 years into the challenge, if you still need the Asian Cup, you need there to be an Asian nation that's manageable. 

Again, database size = very important. Number of nations loaded at the start = completely different thing and utterly unimportant. 

@goonergezDo you think that league loading bug hasn't been fixed? I'll be honest. because I'm not doing the challenge, I'd forgot about it. Also, some bugs only affect some managers / computer set ups, so I don't know how widespread it is. I'll put something in the first post for the moment in case.

Is everybody having this problem?

Edited by vikeologist

@vikeologist off the top of your head what's the most finals of cup competitions needed you've lost attempting this challenge? I just lost another (Coppa Italia on pens) to bring my tally up to three (six Finals lost in total). Two Champions League Finals (UEFA and AFC), Coppa Italia, Australian FA Cup, English FA Cup and Indonesian Super Cup (x2). 

Edited by treva

2 minutes ago, treva said:

@vikeologist off the top of your head what's the most finals of cup competitions needed you've lost attempting this challenge? I just lost another (Coppa Italia on pens) to bring my tally up to three (six Finals lost in total). Two Champions League Finals (UEFA and AFC), Coppa Italia, Australian FA Cup, English FA Cup and Indonesian Super Cup (x2). 

That's a tough one. I failed to win the ACON about 11 times in a row, but that was across multiple saves, and not always in the final. 

OK. You're not going to like this. It looks like in my latest challenge completion, I only did it twice. (My 1st Champions League final, and my 1st Gold Cup final). Obviously I failed to win other cups at an earlier stage.  One attempt I lost about 4 finals in a row, including 1 on penalties, that actually made it impossible to complete the challenge because I ran out of Asian nations to manage.

I don't miss all the cups in this challenge. I'm doing the Youth Challenge and last season I reached the Championship playoff final. As the game started, I felt a terrifying mortal dread I hadn't felt for a while, and realised it was my first final in 30 seasons of playing. You can need therapy after all the finals you're likely to reach doing this challenge.  

7 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@goonergezDo you think that league loading bug hasn't been fixed? I'll be honest. because I'm not doing the challenge, I'd forgot about it. Also, some bugs only affect some managers / computer set ups, so I don't know how widespread it is. I'll put something in the first post for the moment in case.

I’ll be honest I haven’t noticed a great deal of issues with it this time around. By issue do you mean the having to keep the computer on to get past the nation not adding? The only issue I have seen which is probably unavoidable is that when I add a new nation the clubs in that league seem to dominate. Perhaps it’s only coz I’m not flying through nations quickly (such as spending several years at a club) but everywhere I’ve loaded up so far has ended up being dominant. When I was at Leipzig for a few years Dortmund were the best team in Europe. I then loaded up France and PSG were the dominant force. I would imagine whilst in Italy that league will see a huge boost in successes too. It’s not a save killer but it certainly seems the game favours the leagues you load into the game. 

7 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Starting with the largest possible database your computer can comfortably deal with is obviously best. I'm not talking about leagues here. I'd suggest starting with very few leagues. Why not just make a decision which nation you want to start in? Th thing to bear in mind though is that you might win the league in our first year. So, if you load Malaysia for instance and win the league in year one, you need to have a second nation loaded so you can get that second job. Obviously if you start in for instance the S African second division, you have your progression available in bigger S African clubs.

But the database size can come into play, especially with Asia, and that's why you want to have as many Asian players in your game as possible. Again, look at the third post in the thread. But I'll repost a sentence here.

If you have a powerful computer, I'd add even more players from Asia, and probably current international footballers from Africa, but the above should be just about enough for you to not run out of nations to manage. This isn't so you can get an international job straight away, and I'll give you a spoiler, I don;t think you should go for an international job straight away. But 50 years into the challenge, if you still need the Asian Cup, you need there to be an Asian nation that's manageable. 

Again, database size = very important. Number of nations loaded at the start = completely different thing and utterly unimportant. 

Why do nations disappear?

2 minutes ago, anorthernboy said:

Why do nations disappear?

Nations can cease to be manageable because the number of players from those nations decrease. I'm not saying this always happens. (maybe it does, but I only really 'see' my saves). You may think, if I add say the Australian leagues, the Australian team will become playable, but maybe not immediately.

Put it this way. In my youth save it's 2052. I maybe started with just a small English database (albeit with added lower league players), but now there are only 3 playable African nations, and absolutely no Asian ones.

That's why it's important to add extra Asian players. In past versions Asian nations only gave you one shot at managing them.

I don't know if adding / removing league exacerbates the problem. I don't think it does. African / Asian nations cease to be manageable over time.

52 minutes ago, goonergez said:

I’ll be honest I haven’t noticed a great deal of issues with it this time around. By issue do you mean the having to keep the computer on to get past the nation not adding? The only issue I have seen which is probably unavoidable is that when I add a new nation the clubs in that league seem to dominate. Perhaps it’s only coz I’m not flying through nations quickly (such as spending several years at a club) but everywhere I’ve loaded up so far has ended up being dominant. When I was at Leipzig for a few years Dortmund were the best team in Europe. I then loaded up France and PSG were the dominant force. I would imagine whilst in Italy that league will see a huge boost in successes too. It’s not a save killer but it certainly seems the game favours the leagues you load into the game. 

It's a common problem (over versions of the game) that when you add leagues, they might not behave as you want instantly. Sometimes nobody will get sacked in the first year.

What you're describing though is new. Not having done the challenge on FM21, and thus not added / removed nations, I'm not familiar with this. It is a bug of sorts. You could report it, but I see it as more of the sort of kink ne has to negotiate in this challenge.

If the league not loading issue has disappeared with you (and thus presumably been fixed) let me know as there's no point identifying it as a potential bug at the start of the thread and confusing people.

Edited by vikeologist

8 minutes ago, anorthernboy said:

I've gone large database customised as below:

Asia - Current international players and players from top division clubs.

Africa - Current international players and players from top division clubs.

Chinese and South African leagues loaded.

That should keep you in nations to manage for a long time. 

The Chinese and SA leagues being added is (AFAIK) irrelevant to manageable national teams, unless you plan to start your club career there, (but those 2 nations are pretty well established places to start).

Edited by vikeologist

Crest.png.8154af6db1471e3d02a9e364ba4c5b95.png

AC Milan: 2058/59 Review

My first full campaign with this great club has drawn to a close and it’s fair to say it was a pretty impressive one. The summer saw a host of changes in the transfer market as I looked to build one of my young and hungry squads like I had done with Leipzig and Monaco in recent times. We spent a whole lot of money, but also took in a lot too. In the league we were competitive, which is about all I could ask for. For the first half of the season we were firmly in the title race, but as the season wore on we fell adrift and in the end had to settle for a 3rd placed finish, some way off the title winners.

1753140908_FinalTable.png.88b288c9d46630261700edfa62ff76a6.png

An improvement on last season, and definitely groundwork laid for a more competitive campaign Next time around. The squad is well driven and hungry, and the Serie A title is the one I really want to win. Outside of the league it was a mixed bag. In the Italian Cup we entered and exited pretty quickly. Victory over Salernitana gave us a spot in the quarter finals, but we disappointingly crashed out to Napoli on penalties. We dominated the game too, we just couldn’t put the ball in the net. The Europa league was a different story though. We dismantled our group, winning all six games with a rotated side in each. Then we breezed through the knockout rounds all the way to the semi final. A tough tie against Benfica awaited, and initially it looked unlikely for us as we lost 0-1 away in the first leg. We bounced back in style though, smashing them 3-0 to book our spot at the final in Georgia.

66579571_EuropaWin.png.525757d3353fb34fca865881ac44649c.png

A first trophy for me here, although frustratingly it doesn’t count towards the challenge. It’s always nice to win a trophy though, and it’ll help me to keep both the fans and board on side.

1869696316_EuropaCelebrations.png.bf090aa36ededff74e160452a9c075fd.png

It’s fair to say that it was a season of progress for me and my side. A higher league position and a first Europa league trophy since 2026 see the fans celebrating. I’m pretty confident in my abilities to improve the squad further and really have a go next season. We will be back on the Champions League and that gives us three really big competitions to push towards trying to win. There will be money in the bank having booked the premier continental competition, and that should really help us to push on once more.

Outside of Milan there isn’t anything to report with regards to my job with the Brazilian National side. I decided the lack of major tournaments meant I could avoid fixtures. In fact we only recently played our only match since last summers World Cup, losing out 0-1 in a friendly to Canada. Qualifiers for the next World Cup are due to begin soon though, and obviously I’ll be taking them a lot more seriously.

2048/49	-
2049/50	-
2056/57 -
2058/59	AC Milan		Serie A			3rd		Europa League Winners
2059/60	AC Milan		Serie A			TBC

Year		Nation			Honours
2046-2048	Columbia
2048-2049	Nigeria
2054-2055	South Korea
2057-present	Brazil

0/1 world tournaments

On 18/06/2021 at 11:04, vikeologist said:

That's a tough one. I failed to win the ACON about 11 times in a row, but that was across multiple saves, and not always in the final. 

OK. You're not going to like this. It looks like in my latest challenge completion, I only did it twice. (My 1st Champions League final, and my 1st Gold Cup final). Obviously I failed to win other cups at an earlier stage.  One attempt I lost about 4 finals in a row, including 1 on penalties, that actually made it impossible to complete the challenge because I ran out of Asian nations to manage.

I don't miss all the cups in this challenge. I'm doing the Youth Challenge and last season I reached the Championship playoff final. As the game started, I felt a terrifying mortal dread I hadn't felt for a while, and realised it was my first final in 30 seasons of playing. You can need therapy after all the finals you're likely to reach doing this challenge.  

I think that element of the challenge tests your resolve the most. Picking yourself back up after finishing second in the league and losing the cup final is not easy when you're nearly 20 seasons into the game.

Another small update in my challenge...

Shortly after the u23's AFCON victory I was approached by the Kosovan national team. I wasn't sure if it was a step up or not from the Nigerian u23 job, but I took it anyway after seeing they had a European Championship qualifier against Luxembourg a few months away. I saw this as an outside opportunity to get to a major international tournament, not that I'd have any hope in winning it. All about the experience. I know I've taken a strange route on this challenge so far, but I'm really struggling to even get interviews for domestic jobs, let alone actual job offers.

112937151_Kosovojob.png.6f27d608548d0f6ca637b37e2711a568.png

84600076_Kosovobadge.png.34e75cc62c31d1bb3a732d75f5f113e2.png

Straight into the deep end as Kosovo manager, no friendlies or warm up games for what could be the biggest match of their lives. A positive start against Luxembourg made the European Championship semi final qualifier a relative cake walk.
We kept the ball well and created plenty of chances and won 2-0. Fingers were crossed for a favourable draw for the final qualifier, we were the lowest ranked team in the hat. Unfortunately we were drawn against 2004 winners, Greece!
Decided to go for more caution against the Greeks. The first half was a tight affair, we shared the possession but were unable to cause them any problems in the final third. But I was pleased with how we limited them to long shots. After the break the game continued in similar fashion. At 0-0 with about 25 minutes left we had a brilliant chance to go 1-0 up, but their keeper made a solid save. A minute later we were 1-0 down! Unable to stop a hopeful cross into our box,
the ball seemed to bounce off their unexpecting striker and it trickled past our keeper. And that was it, we couldn't even rouse ourselves for a late onslaught, they were just too good defensively.

There was to be no European Championships for Kosovo this summer but we did have two friendlies lined up. Up first was the 26th nation in the world rankings, Sweden. I couldn't have asked for a worse start as Isak muscled his way through on goal and put the hosts 1-0 up after two minutes. I made a few tactical tweaks, including dropping the defensive line a little deeper as they were threatening with the ball over the top. On the stroke of half time our neat build up play paid off after a lovely one-two put us through on goal for the equaliser!  The rest of the match continued in the same vein as Sweden tried the direct balls through to Isak but our defence held out. With 5 minutes to go we managed to counter down the right, sticking a good ball into a dangerous area for an on rushing midfielder to nod home. It didn't end there, another counter attack saw us cut through Sweden like a hot knife through butter for a 3-1 victory! Incredible scenes!

The second of our two summer friendlies saw us up against Georgia, much closer to our world ranking in 84th. It was a routine win, helped along the way with two penalties as Georgia stuck everyone behind the ball for 90 mins. Easy 3-0 victory. 

So win wins out of our first four matches, not a bad start at all considering we're the 80th ranked team in the world. I'd have given us an outside chance at qualifying for the World Cup in 2030, nut I wasn't going to be hanging around that long, in fact four matches was all I'd ever have as Kosovo manager as an opportunity came up that I just couldn't turn down...

120751224_UruguayJob.png.206366eeaf653cdf5670842e1a02ed31.png

2027/28         N/A

International
Season          Nation                  Notes/Achievements
2027            Nigeria u23's           African Cup Of Nations u23 Champions
2027            Kosovo                  75% win rate lol
2028            Uruguay

August 2059: Job Update

Having spent the summer bringing in new recruits to make my AC Milan side as competitive as I could for the new season I made an extremely difficult, exciting but surprising decision to jump ship. An opportunity to manage a dominant domestic force came up, and I simply couldn't turn down the opportunity.

Takeover.png.b55479ac0ffb3b625a5438bec5ae42eb.png

Last seasons Portuguese title winners was just an opportunity I couldn't look past. They won a domestic cup on top of that as well as finishing as runners-up in the Europa League. Ironically against my AC Milan side. For me it was the opportunity to take over a club already built for success that drove me to make the move. Porto dropped points in just two league matches last season, winning the title comfortably. I am taking charge of a side built to win trophies from the get go.
On top of that I am armed with a £75,000,000 war chest to bring in my own transfers and I simply can't turn down the opportunity to compete for honours immediately. Porto are better equipped to win trophies than my AC Milan side was.

I join on the eve of the season opening Portuguese Super Cup, meaning a trophy awaits my very first match at the helm. Hopefully this will be a short trip to Portugal with plenty of silverware.

2048/49	-
2049/50	-
2056/57 -
2058/59	AC Milan		Serie A			3rd		Europa League Winners
2059/60	FC Porto		Superliga		TBC

Year		Nation			Honours
2046-2048	Columbia
2048-2049	Nigeria
2054-2055	South Korea
2057-present	Brazil

0/1 world tournaments

@Libertine13 Being in an international job does affect the club jobs you'll be offered. It's something to bear in mind when considering which jobs and when to take.

@goonergez Now that the best challenge moustache record has gone, I sense that you're turning your attention to one of the lesser ones; the record for number of jobs taken in a challenge. I think I used to know what the record was, but maybe that was actually the record for sackings. @NormandyWept and myself fought that battle out in the early years of the challenge, and I predict you may need to bat off one of us to claim the crown for yourself. The number of jobs one, I mean. I'm not sure you've been sacked by even one club. It's like romantic relationships. Some people are always dumped, some are always the dumpee, and in the case of this challenge I sense you are the latter.

Looks like NW got through a massive 51 different jobs, although I believe there were  at least 5 teams / nations he managed more than once. I only managed 36.

Looks like you're on 22 atm. I believe in you.

6 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@goonergez Now that the best challenge moustache record has gone, I sense that you're turning your attention to one of the lesser ones; the record for number of jobs taken in a challenge. I think I used to know what the record was, but maybe that was actually the record for sackings. @NormandyWept and myself fought that battle out in the early years of the challenge, and I predict you may need to bat off one of us to claim the crown for yourself. The number of jobs one, I mean. I'm not sure you've been sacked by even one club. It's like romantic relationships. Some people are always dumped, some are always the dumpee, and in the case of this challenge I sense you are the latter.

Looks like NW got through a massive 51 different jobs, although I believe there were  at least 5 teams / nations he managed more than once. I only managed 36.

Looks like you're on 22 atm. I believe in you.

I did say that completing this challenge was something I didn’t expect to do, but in honesty I didn’t expect to get this far. I could’ve had a fair few more trophies as well but have suffered several defeats in different finals. In regards to changing jobs I’m not really sure why I’ve been through so many 😂

I’ve actually spent several years at a fair few clubs as well. Patience isn’t a strong point of mine and I also think that at times I’ve paid the price for perhaps rushing into jobs (Mainz and Napoli the best examples). I couldn’t turn down this Porto job though, hoping to chalk off at least a domestic league and cup in super quick time. I can see myself hopping through a fair few jobs yet though if I’m honest. I’m not half way through the challenge in regards to trophies won yet and my laptop is still holding firm. I’ve got a week away with my new wife though so progress this week will be put on hold. Hopefully I can whiz through a chunk of my season with Porto before that though.

You’ve given me motivation to job hop though, now that a record could be in my sights 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, goonergez said:

. I’ve got a week away with my new wife though so progress this week will be put on hold. Hopefully I can whiz through a chunk of my season with Porto before that though.

Your new wife! Jesus, it isn't just the challenge then.

3 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Your new wife! Jesus, it isn't just the challenge then.

Worded that wrong haha I meant my wife of a month 😂😂😂funnily enough she was the one who told me to leave Milan for Porto. 😂

19 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@Libertine13 Being in an international job does affect the club jobs you'll be offered. It's something to bear in mind when considering which jobs and when to take.

I wasn't sure if being in international employment would help with my reputation in other parts of the world. Was worried I wouldn't get a job outside of Wales without the International jobs. Maybe there's been a reluctance to hire me domestically with the international commitments though. It's all a learning process for me right now though.

2034/35

See the source image

-EVERTON-

3 Seasons in without a domestic trophy with Everton. A fairly sized overhaul took place in the summer as i'd pretty had enough of the lack of success

LEAGUE CUP

image.png.48db2dfdd77980fba3b80b8791ca428a.png

Finally a semi final win over Liverpool... Arsenal in the final

image.png.746ffc5732814ef25bc1325edc7f25df.png

Domestic Trophy duck broken!

FA CUP

image.png.7817cb873a91f8ed5230a9f44bba290c.png

Liverpool in the final!

image.png.6cdae26d4978b44c5f87c19d8d49e50f.png

More revenge taken on Liverpool!

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

image.png.086b09234e860c981ceb0db1bb82fa88.png

image.png.80bcd17cd1b8b45909efde6096df68f0.png

Chelsea who finished 6th in the league in the final.

image.png.9d6e2253b7cf37b6718abdc030b60316.png

Dominated the whole game, their keeper was MOTM and we lost on pens! :(

PREMIER LEAGUE

image.png.ee2af14bdddc3631e7880b68e433b60c.png

CHAMPIONS !!!

INTERNATIONAL

See the source image

-BRAZIL-

Nothing really to mention, only 2 friendlies all season. 4-0 win v Iran and 2-2 draw with Italy, got the dates wrong and there was no copa america this summer.

WHAT'S NEXT

Pleased with the domestic treble in the bag with Everton (and another 2 trophies ticked off the list) which should have been a quadruple but for the pens defeat to Chelsea in the CL final.

England is now done and there is nothing domestically to tick off the list so I am looking to move.... However at time of writing there is not currently any decent jobs that are available that would entice me to leave. I also feel the squad I have formed would have a good shot again at going one further and winning the Champions League next season.

World cup qualifying begins next season with Brazil.

image.thumb.png.1c34f84759e0087156b515ac94f5b087.png

image.png.58f874f27b9d903211cb0d8551da6339.png

Dunning Kreuger Season 2032/33 - Orlando Pirates

20210621000953_1a.jpg.0867a6449a051b926f33d3f5ab0338ff.jpg

Shopping sprees are hard to execute when you're managing in a low reputation league. Despite my new and improved transfer war chest, I managed only one high profile acquisition over the summer - a talented right wing who's time in Serie A hadn't worked as he must have hoped. While I was able to identify several other promising targets within my transfer price range, those players had no interest in coming home to South Africa. As it was, 2 free agent defenders I expected to get a shot with my first team were the extent of my remaining acquisitions. I also didn't sell much - a young center back I'd already had to promise to let go, and last season's starting GK to an offer he was very attracted to. I thought I had plenty of depth in my defense, and my second choice keeper was good enough to start for a year or two. I also expected at least one of the 3 (am I running a GK focused academy here?) 4.5 - 5 star prospects in my youth and reserve teams to challenge him as the year went on.

So it was that the season started with my Pirates side little changed from last year's version. While we were predicted to finish second yet again, it looked to me like my nemesis the Sundowns had lost several important players without adequate replacement while my squad would be at least as good as last year's version. I also was already plotting mid-season reinforcements, hoping that one or two of my reluctant targets would be more receptive closer to New Year's. The season started well enough. While we were knocked out in the Super 8 semi final, that competition wasn't at all important to me this season. Importantly for my prospects of winning the league, Sundowns struggled out the gate and lost 3 of their first 6. My Pirates were far from perfect as we dropped points in 2 of our first 3, but a bit of early season volatility is normal. 7 games in we climbed to first in the league for the first time since I'd taken charge of the Pirates.

We reached the mid-season break still in first, and still undefeated in the league. That was good enough to give us a massive margin at the top of the league of.... a single point. My Pirates side had performed very well to that point by almost any standard, but the next 2 teams in the table had been almost as good. Our 0 league losses were accompanied by 9 wins and 6 draws - and it was that last that was hurting us. Easily 3 of those games we really should have won, but stretches of simply appalling finishing had cost us points too often. That concern aside, we were in a good spot entering the break.

In a less than shocking turn of events, the mid season transfer window did not exactly follow my plan. Chinese clubs have taken a shine to my squad the last several January's, this one was no different. I appreciated the opportunity to unload a occasionally used winger for a rather large fee to Changchun, and was even more grateful the deal still went through after he picked up an injury in training. Unfortunately for me, there was persistent interest in several players I had no interest in seeing leave. While I was able to fend off most of the suitors, I still had to agree to transfers for 2 more players I had not intended to lose. Most concerning was my most important central midfielder - but I managed to finesse that sale into an end of season deal. Changchun came back around and met the release clause for one of my left backs in a deal that went final on deadline day. I couldn't manage to scramble to bring in a replacement from outside, so I recalled a player from loan to provide cover. It appears the Portuguese deadline was one day later than the South African, as 2 different teams came calling for one of my attacking mids the day after my window closed. That was a bit concerning as he had a very reachable release clause, but once again I managed to work it into an end of season move. On the inbound side, I succeeded in securing the services of a CB I'd failed to attract in the summer. He was my only addition - the attacking players good enough to make an impact either had outrageous salary demands or were simply not interested.

When Pirates returned to action in February things looked good. 2 league wins provided something that began to resemble a margin for error, and another win in the African Champion's League secured passage out of the group stage. In mid-February, we suffered an injury where we could likely least afford it - to my starting left back. The player I'd brought back from loan to be his backup was fit for that purpose, but not ready to be a full time starter. The prospect I scrounged out of my reserves wasn't even close to ready, but the busy schedule meant someone was going to have to fill in at least against our weaker opponents.

We suffered our first league loss of the season at the end of February. It was a bit of a shock when it came as relegation threatened Golden Arrows thumped us 4-1.

Spoiler

20210619233328_1.jpg.fd6997060a4c753dbbba3f6c5e36f1e7.jpg

That was concerning, but not a cause for major concern. The squad responded as I would have hoped, and across February, March and April we lost a single game in the league each month. Unfortunately, that was enough to allow the 2 closest teams to stay right with us - and in fact SuperSport United climbed ahead of us on goal difference a week into May, although we had a game in hand. SuperSport was also our next opponent in the league.

Spoiler

20210620195234_1.thumb.jpg.125b8229794d4149c76e3a2908890756.jpg

In keeping with the theme of a busy schedule, Pirates also had 2 cup finals to contest before the end of May. Our African Champion's League and FA Cup draws had both been relatively kind, and we'd progressed in both playing heavily rotated squads most matches. In the ACL we'd won all 6 matches in a fairly weak group, then soundly beaten our opponents in the quarter and semi final rounds - neither of whom had the quality to offer much opposition. This set up a Final match up with none other than the Mamelodi Sundowns, hardly a shock as one or the other of us had won the last 6 iterations of the ACL. The FA Cup had offered a bit more drama. We'd handily dispatched a lower league side and a bottom half Premier League team in the first two rounds before meeting my former employers Maritzburg in Quarters. That matchup took until the 6th penalty taker to decide in our favor. A much tamer semi final win over Jomo Cosmos then saw off to a final to face our fierce rivals the Kaizer Chiefs.

That match against SuperSport? We lost it, 0-1 despite being far better in every statistical category other than the one on the scoreboard. Even more frustrating, we played the entire 2nd period with a man advantage, and the last few minutes had a 2 man advantage as SuperSport players were sent off. That result left us with nearly zero margin for error in the league. 3 days later we beat Sundowns in the ACL final. That was my second time to win the competition, so it was nice but not key.

Spoiler

20210620204206_1.thumb.jpg.57e7aeeb1ee47daea4a956d39a1f4f0b.jpg

We then dropped point in a goalless draw in the league before suffering an embarrassing 0-2 defeat in the FA Cup final. With 3 matches left in to play we were still in control of our fate in the league, but things had gotten very tight at the top of the standings. Those 3 matches were played across 6 days - and we won all of them to lift the SAPSL trophy on the final day.

20210620221327_1.thumb.jpg.f195789380fd4091d4a27766d8557aed.jpg

Spoiler

20210620221419_1.thumb.jpg.42b2b9daf2c3967e4631a4155bbe57ef.jpg

62 points from 30 games is a good return, not a great one. Still, it was enough to scrape to a league win, and gave me the last thing I needed in Africa for the challenge. Looking back at it now, I'm a bit more frustrated to have not pulled off the league win a couple of seasons back with a higher points total - but there really wasn't much beating the Sundowns team that won the league that year. With everything I need for the challenge in Africa complete I was about to resign when I realized Pirates were competing in the Club World Championship starting in a matter of weeks. While I had no expectation of any success this time around, I decided to give it a shot at least. I've also had trouble getting an international position since I resigned from Cameroon, so my initial plan was to wait on a club job while I chased any good international opportunities that came open over the summer.

Our group in the Club World Championship was SLB and Liverpool. We were at least briefly credible against SLB, scoring the first goal and going in at the half up 1-0. Predictably, that didn't last and we lost 1-3. Liverpool had very little mercy on us, thumped us 0-6. That ignominious if expected failure behind, I resigned from my position with the Orlando Pirates. I'll target another international job first, the look for a club job to go with it - probably in North or South America.

Challenge Progress: 7/32

Spoiler

Season		Club		Competition		Position	Notes & Achievements
2020/21		Chrobry Golgow	PL First Division	17
2021/22		Chrobry Golgow	PL First Division	5
2022/23		Chrobry Golgow	PL First Division	6		Promoted via playoffs
2023/24		Konyaspor	Turkish Super League	14
2024/25		Konyaspor	Turkish Super League			Fired after 5 matches
2024/25		Newcastle Jet	A League		8
2025/26		Newcastle Jet	A League		4		Lost in 1st round of the playoffs
2026/27		Newcastle Jet	A League		7
2027/28		Newcastle Jet	A League		1		Won Grand Final (A League title) and Asian Champion's League
2028/29		Newcastle Jet	A League				Won FFA Cup and Asian Champion's League, resigned before regular season
2028/29		Maritzburg Utd	South African PSL	13		Joined in December
2029/30		Maritzburg Utd	South African PSL	7
2030/31		Orlando Pirates	South African PSL	2		Won SA Knockout Cup and African Champion's League
2031/32		Orlando Pirates	South African PSL	2
2033/33		Orlando Pirates	South African PSL	1		Won SA Premier Soccer League and African Champion's League

Year		Nation		Achievements
2025 - 2030	Cameroon	African Cup of Nations - 2029

Total Progress: 7/32
2/10 Top Domestic Leagues: 2027/28 A League, 2032/33 South African Premier Soccer League
2/10 Domestic Cup: 2028 FFA Cup (Australia), 2030 SA Knockout Cup (South Africa)
2/5 Club Continental Competition: 2027/28 Asian Champion's League, 2030/31 African Champion's League
0/1 Club World Championship

1/5 Int'l Continental Competition: 2029 Africa Cup of Nations
0/1 World Cup

Season 2030

1200px-Guangzhou_Evergrande_Taobao_logo_svg.thumb.png.fc9bebd3c0e83357b84c780b01b44702.png

So after the last season where I was feeling very deflated I decided to give it one last crack to win the elusive champions league.

I was drawn a pretty straight forward group with Melbourne city, Gwanglu and Okayama FC. After beating Melbourne City in the first game I was pretty confident I’d go through as they were the strongest team in the group. Winning my next two games away from home put me in the box seat. I drew with Melbourne City put me on 10 pts after 4 games with 2 home games to come. To be honest I didn’t chase the game, i was happy with a draw. Two more wins left me with 16 points.

Round of 16 was against Newcastle Jets. I was confident and the boys didn’t disappoint cruising through.

The QF against Suwon was a much harder game. Not helped by the fact I had 5 players out for the Asian games for the first leg and then for the second leg 3 were too tired to play.  I dominated the first leg to lead 2-0 but conceded late, still a 2-1 away lead was a great start. I dominated the second leg but they got a pen which led to pretty much their first shot. Luckily they didn’t threaten too much and held on.

Next up was Ulsan in the semis. I was confident given they were behind Suwon on the ladder. The first leg was a complete whitewash and one of the best games we have played. Return leg was a formality and rested a few players who were a yellow off suspension.

Luckily powerhouse Al-Sadd had been knocked out at the round of 16 so I had Saudi side Al-Hilal. I had the away leg first all year so I’m glad that tradition continues. I took the lead in the first half before they equalised with one of their first chances against the run of play. Luckily we rebounded straight away scoring 3 quick goals leading to a 4-1 win away from home. I knew it was pretty much in the bag and a 5-0 win sealed the deal to finally tick this off the list. It was completely dominant bar the QF and fully deserved. 

Angel Gomes was the star of the show and he was a fantastic pickup. His versatility was a godsend.  

2001084236_ScreenShot2021-06-19at1_21_56pm.thumb.png.a587e0d02ff7497e3f86172ea7b357f0.png

2117857851_ScreenShot2021-06-19at1_20_50pm.thumb.png.54ae0b1150d7925da2027db9f4036359.png

League- managed to win this again with a measly points tally. Honestly I should’ve have won it, Shandong lost their last 2 games to hand me the title. 5 in a row.

619899726_ScreenShot2021-06-19at1_21_33pm.thumb.png.59287ecb18cec265326141a86beec5a2.png

Cup- lost this in the final on aggregate 4-3. Games were sandwiched between the CL final so can honestly care less. I also won the super cup. 

I was resting the full squad before CL games so I’m surprised I made it as far as I did. 

So after 5 full seasons I won 5 league titles, 2 CFA cups, 3 super cups and the Champions League. A very productive spell albeit too long however I am very glad that I stuck it out and chalked the ACL of the list. I won’t be coming back to Asia I don’t think 

Not sure where to go next, I’m not too fussed as long as it’s a champions league contender for the three I have left. Ideally I’d get a big job in Mexico. Don’t want to deal with a salary cap for North America.

1200px-Mexico_national_football_team_badge_svg.thumb.png.cbab037cc57de0ffcadf6f803b5fbbfc.png

I took Mexico to the World Cup. I had some good results beating England in a friendly a few months earlier. Played ok in the warm up games but not great. I’ve been playing a 343 wide formation, mainly just to try something a bit different. 

I drew 1-1 with Turkey in a fairly even game before beating Zambia 2-0 to qualify to the next stage. I beat Japan 2-1 with a late goal booking me a Round of 16 game with Holland. That’s where the journey ended as I was trounced 5-0. It was undeserved but they were too classy.

In saying that I met Mexico’s objectives for the tournament which was the goal. I have a Gold Cup to win now. 

2028   Guangzhao                 Chinese Super League   1st CFA Cup Winner  Super Cup Winner
2029.  Guangzhao                 Chinese Super League    1st  Super Cup Winner
2030.  Guangzhao                 Chinese Super League    1st. Asian Champions League Winner Super Cup Winner

International 
2029- present Mexico. Lost in 3rd Round at WC

2/10 top domestic leagues (2022/23-2024/25 SA Premier League, 2026-20230 CSL)
2/10 top domestic cups (2022/23, 24/25 SA Knockout Cup, 23/24 Super 8 winners, 2027, 2028 CFA Cup)
2/5 club continental championships (2024/25 African Champions League, 2030 Asian Champions League)

0/1 world tournaments
7/32 total trophies

Edited by SK

528896717_Uruguaybadge.thumb.png.8cb991ef3eb54b6372883c6bfb07b8b2.png

So I've found myself in my 4th job in only two years. Though there was no way I was turning down a chance at Uruguay, it's a fairly straight forward World Cup qualifying process, almost guaranteed to get there. When I took the reigns they had already won three of their first five matches, losing to Brazil and drawing against Argentina. My first two games in charge were against two of the struggling nations, Peru (a) and Bolivia (h). We dispatched of them both in 3-0 victories. The following month we chalked up two more wins, 2-1 away to Venezuela and a 3-1 home victory against Paraguay. At the end of the calendar year we had an away trip to Brazil and then a home game vs Chile. Away to Brazil, the biggest test of my managerial career to date! It was a complete performance, two goals in the first half had us in complete control, with Brazil unable to muster up any sort of come back!  Another (almost) complete performance followed in a 2-1 win against Chile, who only grabbed their goal in the 88th minute as we wound down the clock.

248409391_Uruguay(first6)results.png.b0acfeecf893e69df4fa13ee588344cc.png

We went into 2029 top of the World Cup South American qualifying section, after an impressive 2028 under my stewardship. First match this year was a home game against strugglers Ecuador. We threw away a 2-0 lead through some awful defending but managed to keep up the 100% win record with a late goal for the 3 points. A tricky away match against Colombia was next. It was a game of very few clear cut chances, only a penalty from both sides troubling the goalkeepers. Game ended 1-1.

I arranged a couple of friendlies in the Summer against two decent European sides in the hope of gauging what sort of level we're at. Our first match against Croatia was really disappointing, they out played us and grabbed a 2-0 win without us posing too much of a threat. The second game was against the Dutch, we completely controlled the possession but were unable to create too much, in the end we needed an injury time equaliser to earn us a 2-2 draw.

Up next in the qualifiers we had rivals Argentina, but we were suffering with something of an injury crisis and a couple of suspensions so I wasn't expecting any sort of positive result. We were well beaten, though the 2-1 score line probably didn't reflect how poor we were with a makeshift team. We were still top of the qualifying section though and managed to hold on to top spot with an easy 2-0 win against Peru a few days later. In the last two qualifiers we had an away trip to Bolivia and a home game vs Venezuela. The away game in Bolivia was a slog, players were exhausted by half time (is this due to the altitude of Bolivia's stadium?) but we held on for a 1-0 win. In our final game we absolutely dominated Venezuela, only winning 3-1 despite the 39 shots on goal!

All in all a very good qualifying campaign, finished top of the pile by 6 points. We only lost one game under my stewardship, where we were hampered with an injury crisis and suspensions. The draw for the World Cup saw us pitted against Ukraine and Thailand, we're expected to reach the Second Round minimum.

899896083_Uruguay2029qualis.png.bea8b6d520a91c4ab8d304dbc448ad9f.png

As well as the fantastic World Cup qualifying campaign in 2029 I was given a chance at a much bigger club domestically...

Edited by Libertine13