[FM21] Hometown Heroes

34 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Going really well so far this season :)

Thanks! As I said - I can't narrow it down to change in tactical roles or new players as the three new signings are all pretty important:

b5194ddbb6ea1f57aa34266d4a2b201b.png

---

Shame the same can't be said for Plymouth...

2de5cf37d5bf8a2d2bdffee885c6b7e7.png

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

October 2039: New Contract

b48b7365b696f94cb0b721ab1d7c3930.png

My joint highest earner but this is massive as he's attracting interest from a host of big clubs like Milan. I've got him for another four years, even if his appearance fees etc have exceeded what I'd normally want to pay.

1 hour ago, chokosc said:

Just gone through all 15 pages and my god this is some save! The level of detail you are going to is amazing. Hoping to see you in the PL next time I pop in.

36 minutes ago, Halezadinio said:

Great career thread! Been reading it for a while and I love the detail you go into aswell as the way you're building the club as a whole

Thanks both!

I think I've had to dial back a bit of the depth in this one as we are so far away from an elite club at the start (level 6 rather than level 3, which is where the majority of my previous saves have started) but I'm planning on bringing it all back pretty soon!

October/November 2039

8fbce364989aee0f43db26387b7ad09b.png

October was great, November was not.

Vlad Ferencik has royally gone missing in his worst scoring run of all time and Alex Villanueva has also decided that Redditch is too cold for him in November. We have been fortunate that teams around us, Watford aside, haven't been in fantastic form so we haven't slipped too far down the table.

---

My other concern lies here:

b4aef92b24669b493964b14b358d4d75.png

The below players are out of contract at the end of the season.

• Duncan will be allowed to leave. He's a great tutor but lacking on the pitch now.
  • Rothwell will resign if he will accept being a backup. There is no interest but he's asking for a new challenge so I need to hope that subsides as he's a useful number 2 keeper and a great mentor.
  • Both Turner and Bohana have got ridiculous - £30k p/w plus - demands and I'm not willing to meet that at this point. Bohana is a solid player and valued well so I'd rather not lose him for free but all previous interest has been abroad so I'm worried about offering him out in January.
  • Reece's agent wanted a 50% rise when we get to the Prem plus a rise from his basic £3.5k to £20k wages after just five games, which is way above what I can offer. He's developing really well and I want to keep him around but need him to get himself a new agent.

I have managed to renew Bennett's contract but I got drawn in to the new, higher demands of these agents now we have more money in the bank. £14k p/w puts him as the joint third highest earner yet he's my fourth choice centre back. I need to be careful of this so I don't burn through all of the money that the Suarez sale brought in.

January 2040: Transfer update

105dad6d4a32c1d62c862f24252fb2ff.png

It looks as if Bohana will be off. His demands are still soaring and I'm not willing to pay him twice what Maddison and Ferencik earn. At least I'll have him for the remainder of this season though.

---

d2b483b8e6bc5460e703e330aa714d0f.png

This is great news. I originally had a £9m bid accepted for Nwadike but, when comparing him to Patrick Reece, I couldn't really justify such a massive fee. However, he's now available for free, even though he'll spend six months unattached before he signs for us on just over £5k p/w. I really like him, even if he's very similar to Reece and would potentially leave me short of a proper 'ball winner.' However, with such great perceived potential, it's going to be all down to how I develop him.

January 2040: Loan Offer

384b285ed9e35d20992b7ee0dc2119cf.png

Plymouth did this to me last year with Jordon Roberts, offering him first team football when he wasn't good enough for me. Now, they want the same with my third choice keeper. Granted - they are bottom of the Premier League, but the exposure that Lowe will get will help him massively.

January 2040: Sacked

ef2ae13e519eb73028e902bc33cb2639.png

Bobby is great, on paper, but hasn't delivered the best intakes in the past three years or so and, Ferencik and Krasniqi aside, hasn't produced the depth of attacking talent I really need. Therefore Mirko Magni has been signed as my new HoYD.

He's a drop down in attributes but his Determination is better and he also has a Model Citizen personality, which is wonderful! Hopefully will enable a few more American newgens, too.

January 2040: Contracts!!

Whilst on the subject of Vlad...he's entering the last eighteen months of his deal and is wanted by a few others club. He is, however, my talisman and, as an academy graduate, the shining light of what I want from my save. I've entered contract discussions with him and been forced into a corner with these:

e61315ccdb5656450278fdcac5f68449.png

Four years is great and I'm happy to have him as my top earner - considering he's had two seasons on his previous deal, scoring well over fifty league goals. The loyalty bonus, working out at £350k p/a, £6.73k p/w does add a bit on to that wage though. His agent fee is a one off payment and I'm fine with that as I have money in reserve.

Cost in year one: £1,300,000 + £350,000 + £120,000 = £1,750,000

f5340beb120b940a8e1e4ad6a052c899.png

This is where we start to get a little concerned...

Vlad is averaging 41 appearances a season for us since we got promoted to the Championship, so that is a further £205k a year and £820k over the course of his deal. Likewise, he's average 32 league goals a season, which, when you an an average of 5 cup goals, takes it to another ~£180k and £720k over the course of his deal. He's been Top scorer twice so far in the Championship and also in the Team of the Year twice - adding up to another half a million, or so.

He is currently out of the international squad but has 18 appearances in the five years since his debut, which doesn't tally up to too much.

71986f93397cb9ba2896efa13408cb87.png

This is where it gets really silly so thanks Jamie Rogerson!

As I said, Vlad has averaged over 30 goals a season and is my talisman. If he does that this year - he's net himself £993,500 and a whopping £3.974m over the course of his deal, on top of £5k per goal anyway.

----

Whilst this is worth it for arguably the player that got us here and has kept us here - I can't be sucked into this for lesser players!

December 2039/January 2040

6c4ff9b96034a54b767d56df08c3e964.png

We're really starting to make a statement here!

December was hit and miss and it was unfortunate that we came up a slightly resurgent Blues side as well as a Villa side who are rightfully at the top of the league after spending more than £90m in the summer. We followed that up with a really strong win over Blackburn, who have since fallen away but at the time were fourth and it looked unlikely that we'd be able to end our winless run. A strong Boxing Day showing over Sheffield Wednesday where Ferencik had his best game of the season lifted our spirits. Brighton outplayed us and a heavily rotated team was soundly beaten by Watford.

January has been very different - with great performances and Vlad firing us back towards the playoffs, with automatic promotion, rightly, being too far away. We have blown away every side except for Watford who recorded their second win over us in the space of three weeks. The Portsmouth tie, for me, was special - we fielded eleven academy players in what is not even considered a rotated or youth side, which is a credit to their strength. 

Realistically, this is going to be as high as we'll get, given how strong Aston Villa and Watford are. Relegated Everton are fighting back and have far more quality than we do - so it's a fight between ourselves, West Brom, Reading, Burnley and Brighton. It appears that the relegation two years back did nothing for Blues as a 13th last year probably won't be followed by a real playoff. Getting a promotion push together may be easier next year as the three promoted sides are currently in the drop zone, as seen below, and all are much weaker than the other three teams that occupy the top four in our league.

f2e83473f72214c5b7f6c4cc35213323.png

----

74f8763c1d5d6e043709c852c13902ce.png

I'm still making some tweaks to the development side of this and toying between moving on some of the non-academy players in my U23 squad. I have a plan for the Prem that would see me use the in-game editor to reduce my Youth Recruitment to the lowest level in order to really push the Hometown aspect of this save - but we'll see! In the meantime, I'm able to create pretty decent deals for the likes of Mikey Tait - who hasn't ever featured for my first team.

March 2040: Youth Intake

There is a big issue with the intake preview...

One 'green' line in the preview to this:

68463b2a78cb79e6b2271a74305aaae0.png

Yet Dean is nowehere near the top rated player...

----

de14c5358b89ee08c058ad41b2a70080.png

Excel AnalysisIntake Tracker

----

[GK] Stephen Holland

[DR] Dexter Wells

[WBL] Dean Rodgers

[AMC] Charlie Simon

---

Some decent canvasses here to work with and my first ever Model Citizen in Blair Fyffe, although he's probably not going to amount to much. However, for experiment purposes, he'll stay as, in the past, I've had massive success with really positive personalities for players who have no real holes in their game, despite having, presumably, a really low CA. Yet another goalkeeper on our production line in Holland and I like both wing backs, with Rodgers, to be fair, justifying that tag as the 'best' from the intake - hopefully his potential is there. Simon is my second American, after Ferencik, and I think he's potentially quite a classy Advanced Playmaker type.

March 2030: Worries?

68444aaa1b9b20ff09d88803a090ca72.png

Alex has settled in ok - scoring 12 goals in 25(5) games in the league at an average of 7.09. However, there are two things I'm concerned at:

e6b9a0aadf6f87e488f47dbf8aea0387.png

38535b02f7352489dd6923cf7239df6b.png

His 'Days to gain nationality' tell me that he's been in the country 273 days yet can't even speak basic English and his inability to connect with Ejza (who is Pro) tells me that his Professionalism is low, too. He's in the Core Social Group but there are two things that are worrying me.

18 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

March 2030: Worries?

68444aaa1b9b20ff09d88803a090ca72.png

Alex has settled in ok - scoring 12 goals in 25(5) games in the league at an average of 7.09. However, there are two things I'm concerned at:

e6b9a0aadf6f87e488f47dbf8aea0387.png

38535b02f7352489dd6923cf7239df6b.png

His 'Days to gain nationality' tell me that he's been in the country 273 days yet can't even speak basic English and his inability to connect with Ejza (who is Pro) tells me that his Professionalism is low, too. He's in the Core Social Group but there are two things that are worrying me.

Is this a negative just because these are two teammates whose personalities manages to conflict; or had Daniel been mentoring Alex?

It's a brilliant way of connecting the dots and find out more about one's personality, very clever sir

Edited by Dereka
4 hours ago, Dereka said:

Is this a negative just because these are two teammates whose personalities manages to conflict; or had Daniel been mentoring Alex?

It's a brilliant way of connecting the dots and find out more about one's personality, very clever sir

No - there was no mentoring. Daniel is an 18 year old breakthrough player and Alex a rotational first team player. They are in different social groups though.

As you said, yeah, it does show me a bit more. This is Alex's personality and media handling:

7ab639fe9c93799b1af0466a581dd835.png

So that Pro could be anything from 6-14 (I think) and to say he's struggling to connect, professionally with a Pro (18-20 as he's below 23) tells me that it's on the low end.

---

Similarly, I can look at Aaron Stefansson (F.Pro - so 15-17) and see that he's struggling to connect with France (M.Pro so 20), although this does not directly mention professionalism.

96e4bd2d1f95464b83165eed7324c631.png

February/March 2040

d88238be6377aef4b1891939c9ddc50c.png

Not the nicest couple of months, which seems to follow the pattern when I wax lyrical about this side in the previous update.

We've struggled and, as you can still see, when Ferencik or Villaneuva aren't scoring, we aren't scoring. There's been some tough ties: West Brom, now in form, Burnley and Everton are probably all acceptable defeats but it's the losses to relegation candidates Barnsley and Swansea that may ultimately cost us this season.

April 2040: The greatest escape?

Plymouth have become a team that I've followed as this save has progressed as they've had a couple of loanees of mine and they are also a real underdog in the Premier League, much to @Northernpilgrim's delight. Here is the situation with three games left to play:

6810fc56631d631f26d1b474033aad18.png

However, look at their fixtures:

c2b19a9a187bd044852d36b4323d71fd.png

Leicester are 7th and chasing Europe but Wolves are gone given their current form of one win in thirteen but they do face Brentford, Sheff United (12th) and Bournemouth (8th). Boro's other game is away at sixth placed Southampton on the last day.

---

Everyone loves an underdog made up of Championship players operating in the smallest group with the smallest budget!

2a265be75284ae9bb67c04969040a93a.png

5f106f5111de758ee23ff19cfa7eb21b.png

89db3e32f9a876e58421987bf5047be3.png