Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Olly Kenney said:

Thanks for the information, this is an issue that we are aware of and are looking into.

Thank you for answering, please take note that the 5 sub rule is implemented wrong as well, In the game I can currently sub 1 player 5 times, but in real life you only have HT + 3 interruptions within the game for your 5 subs.

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

This is a bit annoying & someone else picked up on it

For example, I have zero wage budget & I'm being asked to look at players on £50-80 grand a week, so even if I wanted any one them, it's not going to happen  

The feature's really good, it's a great addition but it needs to consider what you have available to you 

It also doesn't consider any prospect in the Team just your First team only particularly if you are looking for back up or depth it should consider the U23/Reserve/B teams as well before going to market. 

11 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

It also doesn't consider any prospect in the Team just your First team only particularly if you are looking for back up or depth it should consider the U23/Reserve/B teams as well before going to market. 

In the one I had last night it was saying we need to strengthen the right wing as the first choice winger's contract was up at the end of the season, he wasn't even the best right winger at the club. I've not been playing him there so the context wasn't accurate at all

Edited by Johnny Ace

9 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

In the one I had last night it was saying we need to strengthen the right wing as the first choice winger's contract was up at the end of the season, he wasn't even the best right winger at the club. I've not been playing him there so the context wasn't accurate at all

It need to balance or tweaked until it reflects reality. Problem is when ai does the same in current situation.

As someone who is on the fence, can I ask some specific questions on the ME?

- Does the % of set pieces being scored from seem more realistic
- Are long shots still overpowered?
- How are 1v1s?
- Is defensive positioning any better?
- Can players press someone who isn't on the ball?

I assume I am the only one who doesn't like the new screens when you play a match. First of all I don't like being reccomended tactics, free kick takers etc in pre match so I turned that off but yet I still get this screen before every game even though my assistant is in charge of it. 

This is the screen I am on about.

image.thumb.png.9a4eef41bdfeca5758940d1cdcb3acfc.png

Then I have this screen come up which again I shouldn't have I did turn off match preview so why am I getting this.

image.thumb.png.925630617507855b7fefff36c33193f7.png

I then get this screen even though I have assistant in charge of team talks.

image.thumb.png.6ff048575a841af2fcc1354c2b46866e.png

Basically I have to click 3 times before I get to play my match. It's annoying and too much dressing up the game. 

I then get into the game and it just looks so rubbish to me. I don't like the new screen you have while playing a game. I only usually play with commentary only and I am getting updates on games I don't care about. I mean I have tried to look for notifications during a game but can't find them. If someone can tell me where to find the notifications so I can turn off other game updates etc I would appreciate it.

I also don't like I have 4 mini screens instead of 1 screen when I prefer the 1 screen.

image.thumb.png.5454c2b61cb065a01a4830e7d84113f6.png

Overall I am not happy with the match day experience of FM21.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

Wondering if this is me not setting it correct or a bug, but it’s really annoying.

Out of the 3D pitch cameras, I prefer the TV one, which defaults to a camera height of the lowest possible. I want that a bit higher, so manually adjusted it to 25%, which works fine. However, now, every single new match I start I have to manually slide it back up from 0 to 25%. It’s kind of annoying. Is there a way to preset this that I’m missing? Previous versions always saved your camera settings exactly as is, this one keeps the camera but defaults the height.

A few hours in:

++ The performance. I play on a potato and it runs smoothly. Even better than on FM19 and FM20. Please give whoever is responsible for that a big virtual hug!
++ Players are a lot more dynamic and open with their demands. Especially for teams that had a bad last season or messed up continental qualification just before the start-date have a lot of demands.
++ Tactical changes for one match only!!!!
++ xG stat and more realistic Shots/SoT-stats
++ Goalkeeper and defener ratings!
+ The presets are far less bloated and can actually work as a basis
+ It feels like there is less randomness inside games. Last year I could reload a game fifty times and get everything from a 0:5 to a 5:0 with ties on both extremes sprinkled in but whatever the result the games felt kinda similar. Now the results are pretty consistent with only a few big weird ones but every game feels unique (at least if it isn't something like Barca vs. Hintertupfingen).
+ 1-v-1 are now good and there are plenty of through-balls. Which completely destroys my FM20-builds because all my tactics where pretty high-risk.
+ I love that the wheel is gone! In general most UI-changes are quite nice!

0 My favourite roles do not play the way that made me fall in love with them. Making quite a few pages of notes and plans obsolete but giving me plenty of room to think and tinker.

- The dugout. Somehow the AssMan (or Performance Analysts) are even more off the mark and now I can't shut them down like in the last year. Yes, [player] does have an extraordinary amount of crosses but no, it does not help to press and tackle a guy whose primary danger comes from crosses and free kicks.
- I see way too many "Goalkeeper beaten at short post"-type of goals. They look nice on the pitch but judging by the description I think the game sees them as a keeper-error.
- The press view is nice but some dumb questions without fitting answers still plop up. Example: My star winger wanted to leave and I kept him. After four games that he played in full he got injured. The first game he was cleared to go (for 30 minutes) he got on the bench and played 40 minutes. Yet the press wants to know why I didn't start him and no possible answer was anything about fitness, sharpness or medical recommendations.
- Pre-match tactic overview has some players have some weird red feelings. My Regista with full creative freedom crying about the team playing a short passing game (which they do so he can dictate everything from the back). Nearly the entire team being down about being open at the back (That is the basis of a high-press with offside-traps)
-- Many shortcuts that worked in 20 are gone. Most notably the option to change training schedules from the mail about changed schedules. /edit: They either are just moved or it was potato-related
--For some reason in this version I have troubles with subbing players and way too often misclick. This results in goalkeepers playing in CD, subs being subbed five minutes after they came in or other such things
-- I miss the old analysis page. Seeing what kind of goals I scored or conceded when, where, and from what situation helped me a lot to fine-tune tactics. The new additions to the analysis are great but there is too much gone now /edit: Found it hidden under Team Report -> Analyst Report. Has a slight bug insofar that it doesn't show assist-locations but that is for another place!

Edited by Piperita

Asking agents for their players availability is superb feature.

They let you know how much their players want  salary, how much will it cost to pay for him and some promises.

Even though I have seen an agent said that his player wants to be vice-captain. Twice written. Will post it later in bug section.

i've watched 4 hours plus of livestream now and it's crazy just how much better/realistic the game is now that the wide players don't shoot 99% of the time when in an impossible tight angle and instead elect to pass the ball into the central area instead!

it took like 6 years but this is a great change indeed! whoever fixed the code pls give him a bonus, miles...

I've played for about three hours and my first impression is that the game runs smoother and the menus "fit" together better than ever before.

Unfortunately, on the second attempt on starting the game it crashes immediately. Validating files and reinstalling didn't work. 

14 minutes ago, Umbiggy said:

Wondering if this is me not setting it correct or a bug, but it’s really annoying.

Out of the 3D pitch cameras, I prefer the TV one, which defaults to a camera height of the lowest possible. I want that a bit higher, so manually adjusted it to 25%, which works fine. However, now, every single new match I start I have to manually slide it back up from 0 to 25%. It’s kind of annoying. Is there a way to preset this that I’m missing? Previous versions always saved your camera settings exactly as is, this one keeps the camera but defaults the height.

I use behind goal view and this resets to default height every match. Previously it would remember your preference. 

5 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I use behind goal view and this resets to default height every match. Previously it would remember your preference. 

Isn’t just me then. I’ll stick it in the bugs forum, as it is starting to annoy the life out of me already. Always miss the first highlight while I mess on with sliders

50 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

This is a bit annoying & someone else picked up on it

For example, I have zero wage budget & I'm being asked to look at players on £50-80 grand a week, so even if I wanted any one them, it's not going to happen  

The feature's really good, it's a great addition but it needs to consider what you have available to you 

Yeah, any it is worth reporting any instances which you consider unrealistic in the bugs forum so that they can be looked at and, if necessary, tweaked before release. 

It's incredible, i believe that the ME is the strong point of the game. I am not too bothered by the UI changes just because the ME seems better than FM 20 so far.

Edited by andu1

There is no point to report things here. If you see something that looks strange, report it in the bugs forum. That is what the beta is for with the dedicated "Report Bug" button in game.

Some more feedback from me after playing a match:

• The 3D match is a beauty. Just wonderful to watch with all the movements and animations. Another level.
  • I still have to get used to the UI but it seems more information is available without opening those widgets as previously needed
  • Team Talks/Press Conferences: I need to hover over the gestures to see what does what but it feels already more involved.

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's the same as scouting focus on previous versions, unless you set assignments manually your scouts will always suggest targets you can't afford, it's not new and I wouldn't expect this feature to get better. But it's fine, some new features are always there just to be ignored, like pre-game briefings

Played 15 matches of my season now, and I must say the match engine looks and feels incredible. Feels like real football. Animations are so smooth. Gameplay is so realistic. Please @Neil Brock pass on the congratulations and adulation from this thread onto the team at SI for making such a wonderful game that I’m sure will only get better with the beta feedback. 

1 minute ago, Pav_Makarov said:

It's the same as scouting focus on previous versions, unless you set assignments manually your scouts will always suggest targets you can't afford, it's not new and I wouldn't expect this feature to get better. But it's fine, some new features are always there just to be ignored, like pre-game briefings

I agree, this is a 'scouting by numbers' front end on existing functionality. Which I approve of because it makes it feel more immersive/realistic. 

It can obviously improve, but I'm not against being presented with options I can't afford right now. It would be good to be able to come up with a more cohesive/comprehensive plan with my DoF/scouting team though.

'We can't afford him now but he's out of contract in 12 months - let's speak to his agent.'

'If we try to move Player X on, or let his contract run down we will have enough room in the wage budget. Offer Player X to other clubs.'

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, Christmas said:

I did notice though, noting I complained before about how fake gestures are, that if you hover over the gesture it tells you which 'tone' it used to be. 

Having been responsible for the design of these I can assure you that none of the Gestures are simply a replacement for a Tone. There's 32 Gestures for a start!

Number of penalties does seem a bit excessive at times, although thanks to the VAR they have become more common IRL as well. Then again, looking at league stats (yeah only after 4 match days) and there's only 6 penalties given so far. Guess being the dominant side will result in you seeing some matches where the ball just keeps ending up on the spot.

That aside, has anyone seen the VAR overrule a referee decision yet? Haven't had that many yet, but every penalty check was given as a penalty (and not a single case of VAR suggesting a penalty after the ref missed it, which is pretty common IRL) and every offside call so far was also backed up by the VAR.

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

Are people finding it possible to play defensive football and win? IE not gegenpressing all the time like last year the only way to play?

Hope scores lines aren't too ridiculous always. I'm a 1-0 man!

Gegenpressing was definitely not the only way to play last year. I did/do not play a gegenpressing style but was more successful than ever before.
Nor did i play defensive football though.
I intend to play the same way this year as it is my own style. So far i've played 2 matches with an Icelandic team. As soon as  i went more defensive oriented vs a top division team i scored almost immediately.
Made it harder for the opposition to penetrate and we hit them on the counter.
Would've won the game if it hadn't been for a huge blunder by a central defender. But i'd say it's definitely possible. As it was last year as well.

Match Engine: Much better then 2020; more variety in goals; actions; seems more responsive to your tacticts too. Better 1 vs 1, all good sofar! There is room for some more finetuning and improvements. Players seems to walking on some strange circumstances. Also I would like to see more collective pressing. And players using the space better, sometimes I see players complete unmarked. Only played for a 10 - 15 games sofar. So it might also has to do with the tactics. I see many times more defenders going though the attacker and because of thats creating huge gaps. And players going completly out of possition.

The other stuff I really liked; recruiting (long-term, shortgoals), the conferences, the talks with your players. Lots of small details. I hope it remains interesting over a longer period!

Edited by TomasFM

17 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Are people finding it possible to play defensive football and win? IE not gegenpressing all the time like last year the only way to play?

Hope scores lines aren't too ridiculous always. I'm a 1-0 man!

curious about this too. are people who play gegenpress with ill-equipt side, for e.g. an amatuer or obscure side still getting success? is stamina and natural fitness taken into consideration and there's a huge hit in the condition and mistakes in the passing?

I don't have the beta but have been watching a lot on youtube and streams. Lots of good things going on, but some not so good things, mainly UI.

- 2D is grey all around, yet you can't use widgets this year. I like the view of the new tablet thing, but it makes that space on 2D useless.

- The team talk screen is complete chaos

- Who signed off on that passing map? Can't believe anyone saw that and went, yep that's good.

- The fixtures screen on the purple skin has a strange white half transparent background, that actually makes things harder to read, since it's white text.

Edited by craiigman

I am really missing the fitness/match sharpness circle and/or numbers.  The heart is not easy to read and I'm having difficulty interpreting who should be subbed off and more importantly those that are fit enough for the match day squad.  I had one player with a full green heart so I assumed he was ok...until I actually clicked on him and saw his Fitness was listed as Tired. 

Is there a column to add in that would show Tired?

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You need to sacrifice one of your two 'tablet' panels and show the latest scores or league tables there. Obviously SI thought we didn't need to be able to customise our own panels for this anymore. 

Another slight annoyance of the match day UI we're going to have to get used to :idiot:

3 minutes ago, Ragin Cajun said:

I am really missing the fitness/match sharpness circle and/or numbers.  The heart is not easy to read and I'm having difficulty interpreting who should be subbed off and more importantly those that are fit enough for the match day squad.  I had one player with a full green heart so I assumed he was ok...until I actually clicked on him and saw his Fitness was listed as Tired. 

Is there a column to add in that would show Tired?

If you're having issues interpreting icons on the UI, or having other issues, I'd suggest you report them over on the UI subforum of the beta bug forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/803-user-interface/

Just now, TioPatinhax said:

quick question, is VAR fixed in this version? In FM20,  if VAR was consulted for offside or penalty, it would ALWAYS give it. Only instance it wouldnt sometimes is if foul happned outside the box.

Thanks

Every VAR has been disallowed so far on my game