Football Manager 2021 Early Access Beta Official Feedback Thread

Some initial thoughts (in no particular order):

Negatives

• Press conferences - too much text to keep me interested long term (personal preference, I'm not the one to spend 15 minutes on a single screen)
  • Gestures - too many different options that can be quite unintuitive (Calm, Assertive, Cautious and Aggressive made sense immediately)
  • xG stat missing from custom Squad views - a stats junkie inside me was looking forward to this one :(
  • Matchday screen customization - a bunch of widgets I don't want (e.g. The Dugout advice filled with irrelevant graphics and staff advice I can't remove) and the ones I do want, are either missing (e.g. Action Zones, Shot Map) or can't get resized or moved—Touchline Tablet needs to be customizable
  • The look of 2D camera - huge grey spaces and no stadiums, 2D needs to be modernized desperately

Positives

• Role Ability star ratings much more intuitive than Role Suitability circles we had previously - since the star ratings take Current Ability into account, team-picking process can be much quicker
  • Saving time - it's lightning quick (by the time you've read this, your game saved already :D)
  • Match engine improved significantly (see the next two bullet points)
  • Central attacking play - even an inherently wing-heavy 4-4-2 can generate some fantastic through balls down the middle, provided your roles and duties are set up correctly (the match engine feels very responsive)
  • Defensive play - I've seen an IF-Attack track back to his own corner flag on multiple occasions, which is something I'm not used to at all (players are actually sticking to their runners)
  • Mentoring screen now also showing how much a player will get affected by his group, which brings more clarity to the Mentoring system
  • Post-match analysis Shot Map - separate numbers for "shots with head", "shots with foot" and "direct free-kicks", in combination with xG shot maps, makes chance-analysis very easy
  • Fitness icons - they take away the unnecessary number obsession

Overall, I'm very pleased. For me, FM20 was already a great game outside the match engine and it seems like the FM21 improved that significantly. The only real negative I can find so far, is the matchday experience (screen customization, 2D camera), but apart from that, the game feels amazing. If the known issues get polished out (admittedly, some can be quite annoying—like, for example, having no ability to highlight required attributes for roles on Player/Staff Search screens) and the rest of the game stays as it is (please, don't fiddle with the match engine too much, it's seriously good!), FM21 will be the best FM I've ever played (an addict since FM14 :D).

Edited by Zemahh

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, hoddle1404 said:

Was this explained during the feature reveal or did i miss anything? Suddenly it just got me confused the role rating being different from FM20. 

I don't think it got a full mention, but the tooltip in game has been updated to reflect the changes and there is a post here from SI that explains the reasoning for the change:

I'm loving the new ME and the new graphics! But... Anyone else feels this version is way easier to win than FM20? Opposing teams don't attack me that much and I'm not even in the best five or six teams in my league.

48 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

When making substitutions via the Tactic screen during a match (my preferred method) there doesn't seem to be an undo button. Annoying if you've made a couple of changes and want to, well, undo the last one.

Is this intentional? Seems a retrograde step if so.

no_undo.JPG

I had this issue, looked for ages, found it in bottom left corner - not sure if thats intended but thats where i found it

14 minutes ago, Nahuelzn said:

I'm loving the new ME and the new graphics! But... Anyone else feels this version is way easier to win than FM20? Opposing teams don't attack me that much and I'm not even in the best five or six teams in my league.

Oh, don’t say that... FM20, and the previous few versions, were already way too easy. At any level.

Mad busy with work today - so haven't spent much time playing the game. First impressions - wow! SI really have been listening to us. The ME is much improved. I've just watched two whole games and not only was I impressed with the variety of play (and goals) but also with movement of goalkeepers. 

Really looking forward to getting stuck in to a save this evening!

really not happy with widgets in the match engine. where are they???  No customizable or resizing options. no nalystical data during match. hope these get fixed for full release, I want to be ble to have customm widgets in match . Why are these removed???

Probably a stupid question but this could fix one of my beefs with the UI, how does Lollujo get all these tabs on his tablet?

Untitled.png.4fbfbae52be477128e9a58ca98e3fbc9.png

He's got 6 there, I've got 2 & one of those I have to use for match stats. Is it to do with resolution or something?

21 minutes ago, Nahuelzn said:

If you feel that teams that should be attacking more but aren't, you should report it as a bug.

+

-Match engine seems improved in terms of attacking movement which is a big plus. For me the most important part of the game is the match engine and the last two versions of fm were just frustrating in that regard .

-

some ui changes which don't make sense for me.

-Why is there no way anymore to scout for general player profiles likes : technical,smart , physical, young,ect ? Was a nice addition which made scouting easier

-Why can't I cancle short assignments anymore

-Why can't I search for coach profiles anymore?  Like attacking possession and the right attributes pre selected. Why take that away which made searching for coaches much less of a hassle .

-Why can't I use my assistant for player reports anymore? 

All these seemly like completely needless changes which just increase the workflow for no reason and make life harder .

4 minutes ago, bassistuk said:

really not happy with widgets in the match engine. where are they???  No customizable or resizing options. no nalystical data during match. hope these get fixed for full release, I want to be ble to have customm widgets in match . Why are these removed???

Widgets have been removed. 

This may help explain analysis etc 'issues'.

32 minutes ago, marioNOW said:

Does a league rule change is implemented mid save, or only when a new game is created? The Hungarian top flight has two major issues which were reported and being reviewed/devs are aware, i am more curious if the correction will be reflected if I start a long term save now or should I wait for it to be fixed?

League rule changes are not save game compatible as far as I know unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Probably a stupid question but this could fix one of my beefs with the UI, how does Lollujo get all these tabs on his tablet?

Untitled.png.4fbfbae52be477128e9a58ca98e3fbc9.png

He's got 6 there, I've got 2 & one of those I have to use for match stats. Is it to do with resolution or something?

I have 6 at 1920 x 1200.

Playing as Dynamo Kiev. Love the quick ask the board thing. Board declines says I can try to convince them. In the convincing screen I get one option to state my case and they decline again. Feels like there should be more back and forth if I'm trying to convince them, not just a single statement.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Some absolutely wonderful goals, passing, ball and player movement, especially that little dink over the defenders for Jota to volley - this ME is :thup:

Out of curiosity Jordan, how did you extract and upload these vids? Would love to do the same but the record button in game is greyed out and when trying to connect to youtube I just get a black screen.

3 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

It is just me or you can bring in the 1st transfer window good players at really low amount of money?? 

I think player values were lowered to simulate the effect of COVID-19 on the footballing market. They should normalize themselves over time, IIRC.

Cons for me :

- At the match day, i cant see the formation of the opposition at the beginning

- The match timeline are gone, and if i want to see some specific highlight its difficult to find it 

- The customization are gone.. how can i cancel the messages bottom left like "X are not 5th in the league table" 

- After player score, their face is not there

- No body language (sentence) can be found (only if i click my team stats)

- At the tactics screen, i cannot see how good their role abillity , now i need to click at each player.. dont know why the removed it

Pros :

- ME a lot better

- Games runs very fast

- Saving time a lot faster

- Love the "ask agent" options about player

Really hope some skin or SI will fix the UI match day

2 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

Cons for me :

- At the match day, i cant see the formation of the opposition at the beginning

- The match timeline are gone, and if i want to see some specific highlight its difficult to find it 

- The customization are gone.. how can i cancel the messages bottom left like "X are not 5th in the league table" 

- After player score, their face is not there

- No body language (sentence) can be found (only if i click my team stats)

- At the tactics screen, i cannot see how good their role abillity , now i need to click at each player.. dont know why the removed it

Pros :

- ME a lot better

- Games runs very fast

- Saving time a lot faster

- Love the "ask agent" options about player

Really hope some skin or SI will fix the UI match day

I imagine the first point is intentional. Have to guess the formation based on the team sheet and they could surprise you

1 minute ago, AVFCfan01 said:

the newgen faces look miles better than in previous versions imo 

This some randoms I took from my game.

image.png.64820b4cbd9746b4346b510358b4b549.png

Looks good to me.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

This some randoms I took from my game.

image.png.64820b4cbd9746b4346b510358b4b549.png

Looks good to me.

Yes they look ok. good enough not to replace them all by the ones that Laura (chilled moose) is creating. i'll only replace the ones that get into the first team :) 

I want to clarify it with you first as I suspect it may be working as intended but I just don't quite agree with it. 

Here's the whole thread on this. To be clear, I can't see the star rating of the player, I can only see the Role Ability star. But my issue is that the Role Ability star is used in conjunction with general ability, so role ability is effectively a current ability report. I've explained further below. 

19 hours ago,  michaeltmurrayuk said: 

Role Rating System has changed for FM21 to try and reflect you don't need to play players in their 'best' role.

Role Stars should be linked to the CA Stars - so a 3 Star Striker would get 3 Stars for Poacher if that was his best role and say 2 Stars for Target Man if he wasn't suited to that role, so it shouldn't be possible to have a 1 star Striker rated as 5 stars for Poacher.

Should also make it easier to compare your players as it should now be clearer that a 5 star Striker with a 3 star rating for Poacher is better than a 3 Star Striker who has 2 Stars as a Poacher, but a 4 star Striker rated as 4 Star Poacher would be better than either of the others.

My reply -

'Not sure about this as it decreases the need to scout a player? I don't attribute mask so it's already a bit easier for me, but now I can see every players star rating before I've even sent a scout. I don't think I should be able to see that without scouting. 

Of course you should still get a scout report to understand hidden attributes etc.'

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

This may be a bug, could you post it in our bugs section please?

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

A note for anyone wondering about FM20's Role Suitability circles becoming Role Ability stars in FM21:

‘Role Ability’ has replaced ‘Role Suitability’ to give a more accurate overall picture of how good a player is within in a role.

The old ‘Suitability’ circles only displayed how suited a player was to the role, starting at the top end with the full green circle for the players best role and working backwards from there. This lead to a number of misleading cases where players would show as having yellow/orange role icons for certain roles, when in fact, due to their general high ability and versatility, they would perform well in those roles.

The new ‘Role Ability’ stars solves this by factoring in the players general ability, as well as their suitability to the role, to give a much more accurate picture. By showing how good a player is within a role it also allows for the these stars to be used when comparing players for a certain role, whereas the previous icons were only relevant to that particular player.

Scenario - Un-scouted player, attribute masking turned off. 

- FM 20 (Old functionality) - Click into player > view attributes > view suitability circles > cannot view star rating - Attributes and suitability circle give you a sense of the player and his best roles > Scout report needed to provide star rating against the rest of your team 

- FM 21 (New functionality) - Click into player > View attributes > View role ability > Role Ability star rating given that is an instant comparison against your teams players in that position, or all other players in the database in that position? (If it's not comparing to the rest of your team or every other player in the database then what is it comparing to?) This is the point, I think the rating from the un-scouted player is comparing it to my players, and it shouldn't until I have scouted them.

The new Role Ability star is effectively an instant Current Ability scout report for every player loaded to your save, as it needs to look up general ability to show it. This is what I don't agree with.

If I'm right, then I feel that until a player is scouted the Role Ability should be 5* for their best position and work backwards, much in the same way as the suitability circle worked. Once scouted, the role ability can be compared to your team, or all players in the database.

All you had to do was configure what made up the circle to get rid of the times when they showed up as yellow or orange when it shouldn't? I think FM 20 only had 4/5 shades of colour so changing to stars makes sense as you get better granularity, but I think by changing the system some scouting is automatically done for you when it shouldn't be. 

Hope that makes sense......

Edited by Brighton123

Did they put anything that makes game harder? Like - more realistic transfers. In all previous FMs you just buy 10+ players on FREE  and sell them after a season on loan for big money. That way you get rich and you can easy buy whatever player you want.

And AI dont do these things ( buyin a lot of players) and thats how you make money diffrence.

What they should make for example : if you already have 3 great forwards fightin for one place, then when you contact new potential signing he should say f. off, i know im not gonna play in your club. 

Also, did they make some more options at the start of the game, to make game harder? Like they already have manager experiance, atribute masking, no signings at the start of the season etc.. 

Edited by Matej

Alright, so I felt inclined to give feedback as I am generally loving many of the changes.

Things I'm loving:

• The ME: So far I have only played a handful of games but compared to FM 20, I am seeing a lot more of what I expect my tactics to produce. I'll likely elaborate more on this later as I get further in my season.
  • The QOL changes: Ooohhh la la, some of these I didn't even ask for but can't imagine how I survived without. For example, the ability to easily make pre-match tactical changes and have them apply only to the upcoming match!
  • Press conferences: Definitely ups the immersion game having different journalists spread out in front of you. I tend to imagine I'm pointing to each of them haha; "Yes, another question Andre??!"
  • Generally I quite like the new match UI. This could go under QOL but the ability to see players at the bottom and make quick adjustments to their roles, give shouts, or make subs is neat.
  • While it's gonna take some getting used to, I love the changes to the player fitness/sharpness (more realistic and lets me make quicker decisions as opposed to debating whether to risk my 92% fitness player)

Things I'm not super digging:

• Lack of a match timeline: Now I know the reason this has been removed is to improve realism and help immersion, but the difference is that Mikel Arteta gets to watch the full 90 mins, while most FM managers only watch key, extended, or comprehensive highlights. We need something more if we're able to make evidence-based game changing decisions.
  • Lack of a match timeline POSTGAME: I can honestly live with the above after a few more days of adjusting, but not being able to go back and watch the opposition's one shot that apparently had an XG of 0.32 is a bit frustrating. If they created that good a chance, I hope to be able to see what I or my defender did wrong to allow it (especially considering this is a team in the Belgian second division).
  • There's a few UI glitches that have already been mentioned but I see most of them in the bugs forum.

I really need to stop writing essays every time I post on here. But I'm absolutely loving this version of the game and I guess the issues above are why we have a beta version for two weeks anyway. Ugh I'm just so excited I have this to play on my seven hour train to see my gf's family in two weeks. Alright I'm done now, I promise :) 

Onwards!

I’ve only played a few hours this afternoon, but I think this installment is excellent. I was not going to buy this year, so much so I had no idea it was even out until yesterday. What really changed my mind was seeing how good the 3D match day looked. I agree with the sentiment that perhaps the UI on the match day could be shifted around a bit.