[Northern Ireland] (Official) League Specific Issues

Dan Ormsby

• SI Staff

Please post any specific issues for Northern Ireland competitions here. This is for any issue which does not relate to data and is for areas such as:

- Competition Rules (Leagues and Cups)
- Disciplinary Rules
- Transfer Rules

We would request you all to adhere to the following three point plan when posting in here:

- State what you think is specifically wrong in your league.
- State how you think it should be working.
- State reasons/proof for your corrections/improvements.

Please note that specific data issues for Northern Ireland should be posted in the Database and Research Issues forum.

Summary:  Set up new game with Coleraine with the earliest possible start date.

Description of Issue: Unable to play in European Comp due to start date 

Steps to Reproduce: Load Coleraine FC, Glentoran & Linfield 

Files Uploaded to the OwnCloud:  Rebecca Carson - Coleraine - Euro - Beta

For season 2020/21 the Irish Cup (ID: 310026) Only 32 teams will compete for this season's 2020-21 Irish Cup because of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the Irish FA has announced.

The competition will get underway on 9 January 2021 and involve the 24 clubs from the Premiership and Championship.

The 2019-20 Intermediate Cup semi-finalists and the next four teams in the league pyramid will also compete.

Those final four places will be awarded to the teams ranked highest in last season's league pyramid based on points per game.

It also said it hoped to return to the traditional cup format in the 2021-22 season.

The traditional format sees intermediate sides compete in four rounds before being joined by the 24 senior clubs in the last 32 (fifth round).

The list of this season's participants is as follows: via The Belfast Telegraph Irish Cup limited to 32 teams for 20/21 season due to impact of Covid-19 pandemic

Linfield, Coleraine, Crusaders, Cliftonville, Glentoran, Larne, Glenavon, Carrick Rangers, Dungannon Swifts, Ballymena United, Warrenpoint Town, Portadown, Institute, Ballinamallard United, Loughgall, Ards, Newry City, Dundela, Ballyclare Comrades, H&W Welders, Queen's University, Dergview, Knockbreda, Annagh United, Dollingstown, Newington, St James' Swifts, Belfast Celtic, PSNI, Portstewart, Bangor, Banbridge Town.

23 minutes ago, Bannside of Killowen said:

For season 2020/21 the Irish Cup (ID: 310026) Only 32 teams will compete for this season's 2020-21 Irish Cup because of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the Irish FA has announced.

The competition will get underway on 9 January 2021 and involve the 24 clubs from the Premiership and Championship.

The 2019-20 Intermediate Cup semi-finalists and the next four teams in the league pyramid will also compete.

Those final four places will be awarded to the teams ranked highest in last season's league pyramid based on points per game.

It also said it hoped to return to the traditional cup format in the 2021-22 season.

The traditional format sees intermediate sides compete in four rounds before being joined by the 24 senior clubs in the last 32 (fifth round).

The list of this season's participants is as follows: via The Belfast Telegraph Irish Cup limited to 32 teams for 20/21 season due to impact of Covid-19 pandemic

Linfield, Coleraine, Crusaders, Cliftonville, Glentoran, Larne, Glenavon, Carrick Rangers, Dungannon Swifts, Ballymena United, Warrenpoint Town, Portadown, Institute, Ballinamallard United, Loughgall, Ards, Newry City, Dundela, Ballyclare Comrades, H&W Welders, Queen's University, Dergview, Knockbreda, Annagh United, Dollingstown, Newington, St James' Swifts, Belfast Celtic, PSNI, Portstewart, Bangor, Banbridge Town.

I'm not sure if we are coding one off competition changes but will get some clarification on this. 

On 10/11/2020 at 23:58, Bannside of Killowen said:

Summary:  Set up new game with Coleraine with the earliest possible start date.

Description of Issue: Unable to play in European Comp due to start date 

Steps to Reproduce: Load Coleraine FC, Glentoran & Linfield 

Files Uploaded to the OwnCloud:  Rebecca Carson - Coleraine - Euro - Beta

Is there any update?

• SI Staff
21 minutes ago, Bannside of Killowen said:

Is there any update?

I'm afraid this is unavoidable due to the start date of the league and the Covid-19 situation.  We can't offer such a unique start date, so inevitably if you choose a team in the early stages of European competition the matches will be simulated when starting the game.  This is the same for some other nations too.  As the next poster points out, you can get around this by including another nation and selecting their early start date, if you so wish.  Thanks.

• SI Staff
10 minutes ago, Bannside of Killowen said:

26th of December is Derby Day in the Danske Bank Premiership 

Same Fixture or Day every year except Sunday and if there's a Relegation.

Ballymena Utd v Coleraine 

Crusaders v Cliftonville 

Glenavon v Portadown 

Glentoran v Linfield

Larne v Carrick Rangers 

16051792563943175320882506039629.jpg

While this would be a nice feature to have, the league is not licensed so we do not feature the real fixtures.

• SI Staff
59 minutes ago, paulmctevez said:

Hi @David Siddall, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Paul

Hi, I previously hid this because it is a database issue not relevant to this thread.  David SIddall is part of the database team.  Please post this on the database & research forum.  Thanks

On 12/11/2020 at 11:29, Dan Ormsby said:

While this would be a nice feature to have, the league is not licensed so we do not feature the real fixtures.

This is an extremely poor decision.  Massive fixture in the league everyone looks forward to  ''Boxing Day''  its Derby day you play your local rivals.  It saves people travelling so far on Christmas and is by far the biggest attendance of the season.  Please reconsider this one and only decision the rest of the league can be random but this fixture NEEDS to be Derby day across the whole league!

15 hours ago, Komodo said:

This is an extremely poor decision.  Massive fixture in the league everyone looks forward to  ''Boxing Day''  its Derby day you play your local rivals.  It saves people travelling so far on Christmas and is by far the biggest attendance of the season.  Please reconsider this one and only decision the rest of the league can be random but this fixture NEEDS to be Derby day across the whole league!

I've been to many boxing Day Derby and saw ones on TV some of the fixtures get the same turn out as a lower end of the English Championship while the rest of the season its like National League North/South 

On 16/11/2020 at 18:53, Komodo said:

I don't think its an extremely poor decision. It would be nice to have, but definitely not something that is massively needed

On 18/11/2020 at 16:55, Stobart13 said:

I don't think its an extremely poor decision. It would be nice to have, but definitely not something that is massively needed

you clearly don't follow the NIFL.  ask any fan what the biggest fixture is.

37 minutes ago, Komodo said:

you clearly don't follow the NIFL.  ask any fan what the biggest fixture is.

I do follow the league and I understand its the biggest fixture, but its not a huge issue in regards to the game, thats what I meant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 18/12/2020 at 17:46, paulmctevez said:

Just checking if a fix was ever found for Glenavon kit issue? shorts should be white not blue

Hi there, this isn't an issue for here, you'd need to ask in the Northern Ireland thread in the database & research forum.

• SI Staff
On 02/01/2021 at 15:36, birkelse said:

This looks a little wild, I think. That may be true, but it's a lot of money, compared to the other teams -

sponsor.JPG

Hello, this isn't something for us in this area of the forum.  If this is first year, then this will be for the database & research guys.  If this happens during regular gameplay in a future season then it would be for the gameplay guys in the All Other Gameplay forum.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff
On 08/02/2021 at 16:13, ryzo_11 said:

Playing my 2nd season in the NI 3rd tier and I’ve yet to have a league game and it’s December. Is there any way to fix this?

@Dan Ormsby

Can you provide us a save game with this issue present and (ideally) a save game from before the issue occurred?  Cheers.

https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360015264418-How-to-upload-files-for-support#text

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 04/03/2021 at 09:59, birkelse said:

I  just find out that i won SPFL trust  4 times in a row.  When is the game playes ?  I dont played these games, and is not on scheduel list  .  Here is  2 screens .

Fixtures.JPG

SPFL winners.JPG

Can you check your reserve team fixtures and see if they are being entered into this competition?  Also could you provide us with a save game?  Thanks.  https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360015264418-How-to-upload-files-for-support

• 1 month later...
  • SI Staff
On 12/11/2020 at 11:18, Bannside of Killowen said:

26th of December is Derby Day in the Danske Bank Premiership 

Same Fixture or Day every year except Sunday and if there's a Relegation.

Ballymena Utd v Coleraine 

Crusaders v Cliftonville 

Glenavon v Portadown 

Glentoran v Linfield

Larne v Carrick Rangers 

16051792563943175320882506039629.jpg

Hello, we are looking at the possibility of introducing this for the next FM.  Can we have some more information? 

- What happens if Boxing Day is a Sunday, when does this round of fixtures take place?

- When a team is relegated, does whichever team comes up take the relegated team's place, even if it is the other side of the country?  Or is there a re-jig of the "derbies" at all?

- Is it random who the home team is each season?

Please feel free to respond to this if you know the answer, even if you are not the original poster!  Thanks :)

On 28/04/2021 at 16:44, Dan Ormsby said:

Hello, we are looking at the possibility of introducing this for the next FM.  Can we have some more information? 

- What happens if Boxing Day is a Sunday, when does this round of fixtures take place?

- When a team is relegated, does whichever team comes up take the relegated team's place, even if it is the other side of the country?  Or is there a re-jig of the "derbies" at all?

- Is it random who the home team is each season?

Please feel free to respond to this if you know the answer, even if you are not the original poster!  Thanks :)

Boxing Day if on a Sunday will be moved to the Monday.

As for the fixture they still go ahead

It works Home and Away.

As for Steel & Sons (416327) is played at Seaview (1300839) on Xmas Day morning except Sunday, then its moved to Xmas Eve.

On a footnote Coleraine F.C will be installing a new playing surface Synthetic (New Type - Soft) This June. Proof Coleraine to go 4G Coleraine F.C Regeneration Plans

Edited by Bannside of Killowen

• SI Staff
On 30/04/2021 at 18:58, Bannside of Killowen said:

Boxing Day if on a Sunday will be moved to the Monday.

As for the fixture they still go ahead

It works Home and Away.

As for Steel & Sons (416327) is played at Seaview (1300839) on Xmas Day morning except Sunday, then its moved to Xmas Eve.

On a footnote Coleraine F.C will be installing a new playing surface Synthetic (New Type - Soft) This June. Proof Coleraine to go 4G Coleraine F.C Regeneration Plans

Thanks for the info here, but I'm still unclear on everything I asked about apart from the Sunday fixture getting moved to the Monday.

When you say "Steel & Sons on Xmas Day morning except Sunday when it moves to Xmas Eve" - our game mechanics won't allow matches to be played with a one day gap, let alone on consecutive days, so can you explain exactly what you mean here?  In real life do clubs really have fixtures on consecutive days most seasons?  If not, then which fixture gets moved?

Can you answer the above questions and the following questions?  If not don't worry, but just say you aren't sure.

- When a team is relegated, does whichever team comes up take the relegated team's place, even if it is the other side of the country?  Or is there a re-jig of the "derbies" at all?  For instance - say in a hypothetical situation a few years down the line half the teams from the original derbies have been relegated - how would the new "derby day" look?  Would it be re-sorted so that teams nearest to each other play each other, or if not, what would happen?  At the moment the only option seems like setting the derbies from the official fixture list from the first season, then attempting to play those five derbies each season where it is possible, with all other fixtures (taking into account relegations and promotions) being random.

- Is it random who the home team is each season?  So for instance could Linfield play this fixture three seasons in a row at home?  Or would they always alternate home and away each season?

If we're going to set this, we need to make sure we consider everything before we set it.  Thanks!

When you say "Steel & Sons on Xmas Day morning except Sunday when it moves to Xmas Eve" - our game mechanics won't allow matches to be played with a one day gap, let alone on consecutive days, so can you explain exactly what you mean here?  In real life do clubs really have fixtures on consecutive days most seasons?  If not, then which fixture gets moved.

If  Xmas Day is Saturday 25/12/2010 it took place  the following year 25/12/2011 it was on the Saturday due to the 25th being a Sunday 

When a team is relegated, does whichever team comes up take the relegated team's place, even if it is the other side of the country?  Or is there a re-jig of the "derbies" at all?  For instance - say in a hypothetical situation a few years down the line half the teams from the original derbies have been relegated - how would the new "derby day" look?  Would it be re-sorted so that teams nearest to each other play each other, or if not, what would happen?  At the moment the only option seems like setting the derbies from the official fixture list from the first season, then attempting to play those five derbies each season where it is possible, with all other fixtures (taking into account relegations and promotions) being random.

It all depends on who is promoted take this season Portadown was promoted there Derby Day fixture Glenavon. But if it was not Institute that got relegated the previous season let's say it was one of the Big Two (Linfield or Glentoran) Portadown who still play Glenavon.  So in result it depends on who got relegated the previous season and who got promoted 

Is it random who the home team is each season?  So for instance could Linfield play this fixture three seasons in a row at home?  Or would they always alternate home and away each season? It would work Season 1 home season 2 Away season 3 Home etc. 

Hopefully thats cleared up some loose ends 

On 04/05/2021 at 07:19, Dan Ormsby said:

-our game mechanics won't allow matches to be played with a one day gap, let alone on consecutive days

I'm sorry to slightly sidetrack this discussion, but that's absolutely not true.  Maybe the intention was to design it that way, but in reality, I know of nobody who's ever done a save over a few years where that didn't happen.  It's so common, it's a reddit meme:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=congestion+site%3Awww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Ffootballmanagergames%2F

I'm relatively new to FM, having only played since FM20, but I've never had a save where there was not games with a one day or no day in between matches.   I've played about 15 long-term saves over the two FMs (FM20 & FM21).  I am active on several FM discord channels, and anecdotally 99% of players say that always happens if you go far in cups, you play lower leagues, or if you are in the MLS.   Heck, in the MLS, 8 or 9 games in two weeks happens all of the time.   I've literally seen hundreds of posts and jokes about it over the last 2 years.  It's not league specific, either, as I've done 5 or 6 journeyman saves, and it happens everywhere in the world (although certain leagues tend to be worse than others).

I know this is not the forum for this issue, but there's no need to report it again, as it's been mentioned many many times here already:

https://www.google.com/search?q=congestion+site%3Acommunity.sigames.com

If you just play a save in FM and it spans over a few years, you would know this happens.  If you participate in the larger FM community (reddit, discord, fmbase, fmscout, sortousi, ect.), there's no way you wouldn't know.  I was extremely surprised to see you say the game mechanics won't allow it.  That doesn't appear to be the case, and just a cursory search shows this goes back years. 

(sorry for all of the double negatives!)

(on edit)....after a little more searching, it appears that the mechanics allow it:

Edited by TroubleMan

• SI Staff
On 06/05/2021 at 23:01, TroubleMan said:

I'm sorry to slightly sidetrack this discussion, but that's absolutely not true.  Maybe the intention was to design it that way, but in reality, I know of nobody who's ever done a save over a few years where that didn't happen.  It's so common, it's a reddit meme:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=congestion+site%3Awww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Ffootballmanagergames%2F

I'm relatively new to FM, having only played since FM20, but I've never had a save where there was not games with a one day or no day in between matches.   I've played about 15 long-term saves over the two FMs (FM20 & FM21).  I am active on several FM discord channels, and anecdotally 99% of players say that always happens if you go far in cups, you play lower leagues, or if you are in the MLS.   Heck, in the MLS, 8 or 9 games in two weeks happens all of the time.   I've literally seen hundreds of posts and jokes about it over the last 2 years.  It's not league specific, either, as I've done 5 or 6 journeyman saves, and it happens everywhere in the world (although certain leagues tend to be worse than others).

I know this is not the forum for this issue, but there's no need to report it again, as it's been mentioned many many times here already:

https://www.google.com/search?q=congestion+site%3Acommunity.sigames.com

If you just play a save in FM and it spans over a few years, you would know this happens.  If you participate in the larger FM community (reddit, discord, fmbase, fmscout, sortousi, ect.), there's no way you wouldn't know.  I was extremely surprised to see you say the game mechanics won't allow it.  That doesn't appear to be the case, and just a cursory search shows this goes back years. 

(sorry for all of the double negatives!)

(on edit)....after a little more searching, it appears that the mechanics allow it:

Sorry, but this is an irrelevant rant that isn't for a league specific forum or even bug specific area of the forum.  Yes of course there are some situations with fixture congestion in rare situations - much rarer than "99% of users" as you say - where there has to be multiple fixtures played in a short space of time in FM.  We've seen that this week in real life with Man Utd.  

What I meant was, in situations where there isn't an essential need to squeeze fixtures in, the game won't allow situations of two games in two or three days, the code will attempt to move the fixtures.  There would also be issues with our AI team selection and conditioning - though this would be for a different area of the forum if we needed to make changes here.

So what I was trying to ascertain was whether in Northern Ireland there are deliberately fixtures on consecutive days - which to be honest I'm still not clear on!  If anyone could answer this then please do.  It seems to have been suggested above there is a Steel & Sons cup game on Christmas Day and a league derby on Boxing Day, though perhaps I have misunderstood.

On 10/05/2021 at 10:58, Dan Ormsby said:

Sorry, but this is an irrelevant rant that isn't for a league specific forum or even bug specific area of the forum.  Yes of course there are some situations with fixture congestion in rare situations - much rarer than "99% of users" as you say - where there has to be multiple fixtures played in a short space of time in FM.  We've seen that this week in real life with Man Utd.  

What I meant was, in situations where there isn't an essential need to squeeze fixtures in, the game won't allow situations of two games in two or three days, the code will attempt to move the fixtures.  There would also be issues with our AI team selection and conditioning - though this would be for a different area of the forum if we needed to make changes here.

So what I was trying to ascertain was whether in Northern Ireland there are deliberately fixtures on consecutive days - which to be honest I'm still not clear on!  If anyone could answer this then please do.  It seems to have been suggested above there is a Steel & Sons cup game on Christmas Day and a league derby on Boxing Day, though perhaps I have misunderstood.

The teams competing in the Steel and Sons Cup are not top flight teams, so the top division derby days would not impact upon it.

• 5 weeks later...

With Northern Ireland teams having a better chance in the Uefa Conference League in reaching the group stages etc.

Will there be a way to add Sunday fixtures if and when a club reaching the group stages and only then Sunday football is allowed.

Running along the same idea as the FA Trophy when being asked about the extra time 

On 13/06/2021 at 11:39, Bannside of Killowen said:

With Northern Ireland teams having a better chance in the Uefa Conference League in reaching the group stages etc.

Will there be a way to add Sunday fixtures if and when a club reaching the group stages and only then Sunday football is allowed.

Running along the same idea as the FA Trophy when being asked about the extra time 

I can't see how this is a good idea when there is zero talk of it actually being a reality

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 14:30, paulmctevez said:

I can't see how this is a good idea when there is zero talk of it actually being a reality

Remember your first season is reality, then your 2nd season is in the future, 

Sunday football in Northern Ireland has been a controversial issue. Until 2008, the Irish Football Association (IFA) under IFA Article 27, prohibited any clubs affiliated with them from playing association football matches on Sunday. The ban initially came from various government legislation, both local and national. Northern Ireland's Protestant Christian majority's observance of Sunday as the Sabbath (a day of rest), was also a major factor which amounted to a continuance of the observance of tradition for a lot longer than in the rest of the UK. It was also a way to combat a perceived encroachment on their culture by Catholics. Since the abolition of the ban, teams can play matches on Sunday if they have mutual agreement, (although some teams such as Linfield have club rules against such games. to my knowledge that has been removed)

The Northern Ireland national team also had a policy of not playing on Sundays. This policy was later amended to allow Northern Ireland to play on Sundays away from home before being unofficially suspended due to changes in UEFA rules regarding playing dates for international competition qualifiers. On 29 March 2015, the national team played their first home match on a Sunday against Finland.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Em 10/05/2021 em 10:58, Dan Ormsby disse:

"What I meant was, in situations where there isn't an essential need to squeeze fixtures in, the game won't allow situations of two games in two or three days, the code will attempt to move the fixtures."

I started playing this game back in its 97 form (old CM) and, from my experience only a liar or someone who hasnt played this game to its fullest ( at least all ingame leagues, just once) would say this.

What TroubleMan said is spot on. I also find it funny how you just dismiss his claims.

These idiotic "bugs" are still in the game, year after year and after multiple repors from players, but the priority seems to be ignoring this. Im on FM21 and in the NIFL league, this situation is frequent, im playing like 3 games in a row, with juts a day between them (game-rest-game-rest-game). Its because of this things i dont do any more reports of bugs, because you at Si simple enough dont fix them and dont even bother whatsoever. Just go read the forums and see, before dismissing our claims.

I do strongly hope for the day a bug gets reported and then it gets fixed asap. I also think that there should be a report bug feature ingame. We shouldnt be posting things here just for you guys to ignore it.

• SI Staff
On 18/09/2021 at 12:54, PlayRoom said:

"What I meant was, in situations where there isn't an essential need to squeeze fixtures in, the game won't allow situations of two games in two or three days, the code will attempt to move the fixtures."

I started playing this game back in its 97 form (old CM) and, from my experience only a liar or someone who hasnt played this game to its fullest ( at least all ingame leagues, just once) would say this.

What TroubleMan said is spot on. I also find it funny how you just dismiss his claims.

These idiotic "bugs" are still in the game, year after year and after multiple repors from players, but the priority seems to be ignoring this. Im on FM21 and in the NIFL league, this situation is frequent, im playing like 3 games in a row, with juts a day between them (game-rest-game-rest-game). Its because of this things i dont do any more reports of bugs, because you at Si simple enough dont fix them and dont even bother whatsoever. Just go read the forums and see, before dismissing our claims.

I do strongly hope for the day a bug gets reported and then it gets fixed asap. I also think that there should be a report bug feature ingame. We shouldnt be posting things here just for you guys to ignore it.

I responded and explained my response so saying we are ignoring or dismissing these posts is neither true nor fair. 

I'll repeat what I said and try and add an extra layer of explanation.

- We do have code in the game which will not, unless in essential circumstances, allow the scheduling of games with just a one day gap.  If there are examples of fixtures being scheduled at the beginning of a season with just a one day gap, this is a bug and we will be very grateful of reports of this so we can make alterations.  This is why we have this section of the forums.

- Obviously in game, and also in multiple examples in real life, if, due to teams unexpectedly reaching the latter stages of cup competitions, or previous fixture postponements, there will be occasions where there is a fixture pile up towards the end of a season which nothing can be done about due to lack of available space for the fixtures to happen. 

- This is even more of a problem in game than in real life - as in real life it is far easier to respond to unique or unprecedented situations.  But even in real life we have seen examples in the English Premier League in recent seasons of Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and probably others all being forced to play two fixtures in three days due to there being no sensible way to reschedule the fixtures.  This is unfortunate, and I believe in every case the manager was upset by the situation, but it was an unavoidable situation and they had to deal with it.

I'm sorry you are upset by the situation and I hope this goes some way to explaining?  As I say above, if anyone experiences in FM22 initial scheduling at the beginning of the season where there are fixtures with just a one day gap, then please report this and we will look into it.  If you experience fixture pile up as the season goes on due to success in cup competitions and/or fixture postponements, then we are doing our best to mitigate these situations, but there will unfortunately be situations in game where there is fixture congestion.  This is inevitable in certain cases and also happens in real life.