[U.S.A.] (Official) League Specific Issues

MLS needs winter transfers from other countries to come through as soon as the contract and fees are agreed. 

I have continental comps coming up on Feb 15 - https://gyazo.com/d1fe07f777105a85b18b51e7b441db5b

Yet my new designated player, who's bought and paid for up front, no conditions other than straight money will not show up until Feb 9 - https://gyazo.com/e7a21b0a20ce1a505bfc81c83d1244f2

This isn't how it happens in the real world, nor should it in the game.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MLS trading needs some work. Currently you can suggest a trade once, if it is rejected you can only make an offer, or stop it altogether and try again the next day on different terms. You should be able to finagle with a trade deal as you do with a player contract. Just switching players and draft spots as needed until 2 teams can work a deal out.

It would be amazing if I could tell my TD or GM I don't need a couple of draft pick and I would like to get some INT spots or more allocation money, those are deals that really should be done by those positions, not the manager. 
In light of not being able to have TD/GM do their jobs, trades could also be done differently. Say I have a player I don't want, currently I toss his name out to MLS teams saying I want X amount of money, they never come back and counter offer. Allow that? 

I cannot currently just ask the league "who has an INT spot they wanna trade?", which is really how it happens... I have to go team to team and try to barter with each, if they even have one. Heck a screen showing all teams and what league tokens they have would be sooo time saving. 

Hi guys, i'm new in the forum and i'm italian, so sorry for my bad english.

The season’s over and I got a player I borrowed.
Now the game tells me that I have to register the team again but does not allow me to confirm it.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks, have a nice day ;)

Cattura.thumb.PNG.07fdb1c3f2788da07d19dd4f650b394b.PNGCattura1.thumb.PNG.13036bcb1adc6784b434cafeafc36843.PNG

Edited by Simo2280

3 hours ago, holtb80 said:

MLS trading needs some work. Currently you can suggest a trade once, if it is rejected you can only make an offer, or stop it altogether and try again the next day on different terms. You should be able to finagle with a trade deal as you do with a player contract. Just switching players and draft spots as needed until 2 teams can work a deal out.

It would be amazing if I could tell my TD or GM I don't need a couple of draft pick and I would like to get some INT spots or more allocation money, those are deals that really should be done by those positions, not the manager. 
In light of not being able to have TD/GM do their jobs, trades could also be done differently. Say I have a player I don't want, currently I toss his name out to MLS teams saying I want X amount of money, they never come back and counter offer. Allow that? 

I cannot currently just ask the league "who has an INT spot they wanna trade?", which is really how it happens... I have to go team to team and try to barter with each, if they even have one. Heck a screen showing all teams and what league tokens they have would be sooo time saving. 

hahaha mls trading has been horrible for many years. Another thing i'd like is being able tu use TAM, i just dont know how to use it in game, and this year i can't make trades with it either. With TAM you should be able to make dp caliber salaries lower so you don't need them to be dp's. But anyways, none of this things have been changed since i started playing mls, fm18

4 hours ago, felipe rv said:

hahaha mls trading has been horrible for many years. Another thing i'd like is being able tu use TAM, i just dont know how to use it in game, and this year i can't make trades with it either. With TAM you should be able to make dp caliber salaries lower so you don't need them to be dp's. But anyways, none of this things have been changed since i started playing mls, fm18

I request same stuff since fm13

Without the requesting, it won't get any attention, so coming on to laugh it off like it doesn't matter isn't helpful at all...

Regarding TAM, once you have DP player and you try to sign another DP type player in pay scale, the game prompts you to use TAM automatically.

The fix for this, as has been posted the past couple years, since TAM was introduced, just make it a slide bar, but limit its use for player being paid between certain amounts. The SI excuse is about it being difficult to code in the slide bar with limitations and make the AI smart enough to use it. 

Reality is, MLS doesn't get enough attention. Large amounts of people ignore it because it's broken and they are too lazy to learn how to work within its rules. Many streamers/YT people are persistent about not playing MLS saves because it doesn't make sense. It's really pretty simple, you just need to look past the fact it's not the English way. It's also simple laziness from SI not giving it attention because in truth, EU is where most people will spend most of their time playing.

Edit - this came up mid march of the season after I won the supporters shield, mls cup, and western conf - https://gyazo.com/a32a3df5621a2dfad683c4e497c6310e

The player should not be worried about that promise as we won the entire league... which requires making the playoffs.

Edited by holtb80
Promise added

12 hours ago, holtb80 said:

I request same stuff since fm13

Without the requesting, it won't get any attention, so coming on to laugh it off like it doesn't matter isn't helpful at all...

Regarding TAM, once you have DP player and you try to sign another DP type player in pay scale, the game prompts you to use TAM automatically.

The fix for this, as has been posted the past couple years, since TAM was introduced, just make it a slide bar, but limit its use for player being paid between certain amounts. The SI excuse is about it being difficult to code in the slide bar with limitations and make the AI smart enough to use it. 

Reality is, MLS doesn't get enough attention. Large amounts of people ignore it because it's broken and they are too lazy to learn how to work within its rules. Many streamers/YT people are persistent about not playing MLS saves because it doesn't make sense. It's really pretty simple, you just need to look past the fact it's not the English way. It's also simple laziness from SI not giving it attention because in truth, EU is where most people will spend most of their time playing.

Edit - this came up mid march of the season after I won the supporters shield, mls cup, and western conf - https://gyazo.com/a32a3df5621a2dfad683c4e497c6310e

The player should not be worried about that promise as we won the entire league... which requires making the playoffs.

100% correct regarding SI laziness. They know the AI squad registration etc has been broken for years yet they just say "oh well, enough people buy the game for Europe, we dont care about the ones who buy it for MLS" The attitude stinks towards the MLS, and if they have no interest in fixing it they should just come out and say so or remove it from the game.

I didn't know where to post this, in here or over in the transfer thread. Currently I am in March 2023 and I have the MLS not loaded and went on to take a look at Charlotte FC's first team squad:

spacer.png

I am no expert in MLS rules but I think, teams shouldn't be allowed to have such a lack of home-grown players? Despite me not having loaded the MLS

4 minutes ago, pichichi said:

I didn't know where to post this, in here or over in the transfer thread. Currently I am in March 2023 and I have the MLS not loaded and went on to take a look at Charlotte FC's first team squad:

spacer.png

I am no expert in MLS rules but I think, teams shouldn't be allowed to have such a lack of home-grown players? Despite me not having loaded the MLS

Yeah, no way that works... Right now I have sucked up loads of extra INT spots and have 15 registered INT players with another 5 spent down to my B team. Still, I have more than a dozen American players. It is possible for players to be from other countries and not require INT spots. Outside of checking each of those player information tab, there is no way from here to really say. 

I would say drop it on the other thread as well. Could fall under either page.

Hello I have a problem for save my team for MLS competition (Miami).

At the begining I can save my team for MLS competition. After 3 matchs a player hurt itself (Powell), I put him in the hurt list but when he come back I can't save the team because players salary is too hight but I do nothing I don't buy or lend new player, i don't touch at any contract and I don't add a new player at the list.1908441060_Capturedecran2020-11-15a16_17_27.thumb.png.0be8a6dbe75310381c2dfd0f48f6a82a.png527708255_Capturedecran2020-11-15a16_20_32.thumb.png.8e706565fa2d87254e51ae510cbb6e52.png.

1 hour ago, louisdecline1998 said:

Hello I have a problem for save my team for MLS competition (Miami).

At the begining I can save my team for MLS competition. After 3 matchs a player hurt itself (Powell), I put him in the hurt list but when he come back I can't save the team because players salary is too hight but I do nothing I don't buy or lend new player, i don't touch at any contract and I don't add a new player at the list.1908441060_Capturedecran2020-11-15a16_17_27.thumb.png.0be8a6dbe75310381c2dfd0f48f6a82a.png527708255_Capturedecran2020-11-15a16_20_32.thumb.png.8e706565fa2d87254e51ae510cbb6e52.png.

I have the same issue as the above.

I was able to submit my initial squad (and had some players waived as I wasn't able to put them all in the squad) but as a result of a player returning from injury it is making me re-submit my squad, but I cannot physically get the salary below the cap, no matter how many or few players I select.

I've even cleared selection and it gets stuck on $110k - my cap is $100k. When I do clear selection though it still leaves one player 'in' the squad. I've also tried auto select and still doesn't go in below the cap so I physically can't continue the game.

This is on 20.4.4 and I have uploaded the save game to ownCloud, 'Travis Garcia - New England Revolution bug.fm'

Salary cap.png

I've had a roster salary cap issue similar to the one Yipzus mentioned several posts above.  My DC United save is basically ruined.

We were under the salary cap going into waiver season.  Not being familiar with the rules, I allowed our unregistered players to pass through waivers.  Only afterwards did I learn that the cost of buying them out counts against our salary cap.

There is now literally no way to proceed, as our team salary is over the salary cap even if I unregister all players.  See below:

594089834_ScreenShot2020-11-15at12_26_09PM.thumb.png.5aee8d604bcd101c6eeed48ce445f0bd.png

I'm not certain if this is actually a bug or simply a reflection of the arbitrary and, frankly, insane rules that the MLS uses.  I do know that I will never play with the MLS in any future saves.  Even besides these issues, the differentiation between the various kinds of player contracts and the associated restrictions is completely maddening.

It would be nice if Football Manager had some sort of built-in MLS tutorial to assist those naive enough to take the plunge in the future.  For example, if my assistant manager or director of football operations had take the time to walk me through how this process works in advance, we might have avoided the issue.  I enjoyed SI's recent blog post on the MLS, and thought that I had things under control, only to encounter this maddening issue.

Perhaps the lack of on-field celebrations after winning MLS competitions has something to do with these bizarre rules!  If we actually paid our players, maybe they would be happy when they win something now and then.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with the rest of the world for now, and will only come back to my local team when somebody creates a World League database with sane salary rules.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 12.26.09 PM.png

Edited by Daniel Evensen
Removed duplicate picture inadvertently added

Part of the problem with what you guys are doing. You cannot just unregister players and expect their wages to go away... you're still on the hook to pay them whether or not they are registered. Some contracts are guaranteed. @Daniel EvensenHave you click on non DP players and went into the contract screen and applied the general allocation money available to pay down wage cap hit? This could be a solution to your save.

Edited by holtb80
If you want to try and learn and possibly save the game you have going, feel free to add me on discord holtb80#1603

48 minutes ago, holtb80 said:

Part of the problem with what you guys are doing. You cannot just unregister players and expect their wages to go away... you're still on the hook to pay them whether or not they are registered. Some contracts are guaranteed. @Daniel EvensenHave you click on non DP players and went into the contract screen and applied the general allocation money available to pay down wage cap hit? This could be a solution to your save.

I have used all my general allocation to buy down various players. There is surely no way that unregistered players on their own take you over the salary cap?

@holtb80 Yes, actually - I previously allocated all of my general allocation money to allow us to play the one game this season that we were able to play.  Remember that the GA funds are only $50k - that would hardly make a dent in the problem I showed above.

My point is that the game should tell you, at some point, what the rules are.  As things stood, DC United would have been over the salary cap at the beginning of the season without any action on my part.  I signed a few players, but their salaries were nowhere near the $2,000,000 p/a that the screenshot above would have you believe.  That would have been pretty remarkable had I accomplished that on the $125,000 transfer budget I was allocated!

I frankly believe that the problem has more to do with the insane rules surrounding the MLS than anything on SI's part.  This article from the Florida State Law Review only served to further entrench my belief: https://ir.law.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2576&context=lr

5 minutes ago, Daniel Evensen said:

@holtb80 Yes, actually - I previously allocated all of my general allocation money to allow us to play the one game this season that we were able to play.  Remember that the GA funds are only $50k - that would hardly make a dent in the problem I showed above.

My point is that the game should tell you, at some point, what the rules are.  As things stood, DC United would have been over the salary cap at the beginning of the season without any action on my part.  I signed a few players, but their salaries were nowhere near the $2,000,000 p/a that the screenshot above would have you believe.  That would have been pretty remarkable had I accomplished that on the $125,000 transfer budget I was allocated!

I frankly believe that the problem has more to do with the insane rules surrounding the MLS than anything on SI's part.  This article from the Florida State Law Review only served to further entrench my belief: https://ir.law.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2576&context=lr

When I took Miami at the beginning of the season, without action on my part, the salary cap was already over.

1 hour ago, holtb80 said:

At the beginning of the season I register my team with good salary cap (under 370 000). During the season a player injury, I just put him in the hurt list and when he come back I can't re-register him because salary cap increase (457 000). Why? 

22 hours ago, holtb80 said:

Just wanted to quote this for truth.  I had the same experience.  I thought that perhaps the solution to not being able to sign any players at all would be to go out and trade for them.  Trading is frustrating: there really is no way to distinguish among players that you would obviously like to trade (such as players you have transfer listed), you can only suggest terms to a team once, it is impossible to see what the team wants for the player you have in mind, and it's really all a bunch of guesswork.

I never thought I'd say this, but OOTP's trading system beats the pants off of Football Manager.  Of course, this is probably because the MLS is basically the only league in the world that has a trading system.

Having said that... this really isn't a "bug."  It's certainly not game-breaking the way the insane salary cap system is.

My advice is to get out of the MLS and stay away forever.

On 12/11/2020 at 04:40, Sebastian Szlenkier said:

Thank you for raising this issue. This is now logged and under review.

What date were these 2 screenshots from? Do you have a save file that we can reproduce this from? Could you please upload it to the SI Cloud Server with steps to reproduce this and we will look into it. Thank you

Sorry for the late response. They were both taken on the same in game date. Here i have attached the saved file. Let me know if you're able to download it. File is too large to upload here.

my team's salary is increased above the salary cap for no reason. I didn't sign any players after the first registration and had enough of salary cap space to sign a few players, but when I signed a goalkeeper to a minimum senior contract, it goes way over the limit and I can't continue since I have to be below the salary cap in order to register my squad. Also it's literally impossible to actually create any cap space to fix this problem so unregistering players won't fix the problem. I can't but down anyone's salary as well.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, 5 dollar foot long said:

my team's salary is increased above the salary cap for no reason. I didn't sign any players after the first registration and had enough of salary cap space to sign a few players, but when I signed a goalkeeper to a minimum senior contract, it goes way over the limit and I can't continue since I have to be below the salary cap in order to register my squad. Also it's literally impossible to actually create any cap space to fix this problem so unregistering players won't fix the problem. I can't but down anyone's salary as well.

Do you have a save at the point at which this goes over without you having done anything? If so, could you please upload it to the SI Cloud Server using the following instructions. Thanks.

On 17/11/2020 at 16:28, Sebastian Szlenkier said:

Do you have a save at the point at which this goes over without you having done anything? If so, could you please upload it to the SI Cloud Server using the following instructions. Thanks.

I have the same issue and had uploaded a save game, but this was after the point the issue had occurred.

I've now uploaded two more files, one before the issue and one after:

"Travis Garcia - New England Revolution (v02).fm" - After issue

"Travis Garcia - New England Revolution (v03).fm" - Before issue

To add to my previous post, it appears to be the point of the attached image where the salary cap goes from being ok to an issue.

EDIT - What seems to be happening is I submit my squad right before the first game of the season. Inevitably I exclude some players and they get waived. They then pass through the waivers and as a result count towards my salary cap. My club decides to invoke the Guaranteed Contract Buyout option which means they shouldn't count at all towards my salary cap. HOWEVER, these guys on their own then count to over my salary cap limit despite in theory not counting anything, which obviously isn't correct anyway (their contracts combined are worth approx 1/10th of my salary). I know this because when I clear the selection of my squad and have nobody selected it is still saying I am over my salary cap per an attached image in one of my previous posts.

Salary cap turning point.png

Edited by Mikkyk

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Mikkyk said:

To add to my previous post, it appears to be the point of the attached image where the salary cap goes from being ok to an issue.

EDIT - What seems to be happening is I submit my squad right before the first game of the season. Inevitably I exclude some players and they get waived. They then pass through the waivers and as a result count towards my salary cap. My club decides to invoke the Guaranteed Contract Buyout option which means they shouldn't count at all towards my salary cap. HOWEVER, these guys on their own then count to over my salary cap limit despite in theory not counting anything, which obviously isn't correct anyway (their contracts combined are worth approx 1/10th of my salary). I know this because when I clear the selection of my squad and have nobody selected it is still saying I am over my salary cap per an attached image in one of my previous posts.

Salary cap turning point.png

Thanks, this is an issue we're aware of

9 hours ago, ohitsoh said:

I had an issue where I tried to sign a player on a Designated contract, but it wouldn't let me go over 1m... which is the whole point of a DP contract?

Could be a team thing that they won't allow you to spend so much on one player. FCD limits to 1m as well. I just ran into this myself. I haven't seen it written out, but assume it's a hidden part of this team because they focus on youth dev. 

Issue: In FM21 you are only allowed 2 DPs over the age of 23 however in actual MLS it is possible to pay $150k to the league which then gets split among teams with 2 of fewer DP spots as GAM

Fix: allow the ability to pay for a 3rd over 23 DP spot

I've started an Orlando City save and only being able to have 2 DPs over 23 means I'm not able to use 1 of Nani, Mauricio Pereyra or Dom Dwyer even though in real life they are all registered.

On 19/11/2020 at 04:28, holtb80 said:

Could be a team thing that they won't allow you to spend so much on one player. FCD limits to 1m as well. I just ran into this myself. I haven't seen it written out, but assume it's a hidden part of this team because they focus on youth dev. 

Oh... interesting... that could be the case as I do have a similar goal for NYCFC iirc. That said, the contract negotiation screen didn't make it seem that way; it specifically told me to to choose Designated if I toggled Senior above 1m... which made it sound like okay, this is possible. So maybe not a bug so much as poor communication? I dunno.

On 19/11/2020 at 07:47, Adzter96 said:

Issue: In FM21 you are only allowed 2 DPs over the age of 23 however in actual MLS it is possible to pay $150k to the league which then gets split among teams with 2 of fewer DP spots as GAM

Fix: allow the ability to pay for a 3rd over 23 DP spot

I've started an Orlando City save and only being able to have 2 DPs over 23 means I'm not able to use 1 of Nani, Mauricio Pereyra or Dom Dwyer even though in real life they are all registered.

In the second year of my NYCFC I was given the option to buy that extra DP slot and I took it, but when I go to register players, it still shows /3 DPs, so I'm concerned it didn't work.

In my second season with NYCFC, the NYCFC II team was introduced. When this happened the game told me they'd be playing a league and asked me to assign a coach to them. Months later, the team has ZERO staff members, and they don't play ANY matches unless I schedule friendlies for them.

15 hours ago, ohitsoh said:

In my second season with NYCFC, the NYCFC II team was introduced. When this happened the game told me they'd be playing a league and asked me to assign a coach to them. Months later, the team has ZERO staff members, and they don't play ANY matches unless I schedule friendlies for them.

No lower league matches in north America has been a developmental issue for a few years on FM now... It's quite silly as there are other leagues who have "matches" yet are unplayable. I report that as an issue every year but no one cares to implement it.

• SI Staff
On 15/11/2020 at 11:26, Tim2 said:

I started the game in late 2020, and there isn't a MLS Cup winner for 2020.

The 2020 MLS cup winner hasn't been decided.  We will add the record after the final.  In the short term this will mean a gap, but should be corrected when ready.  I'm updating MLS Awards etc as we go.   Just a 2020 quirk for now though.

13 hours ago, ohitsoh said:

2 hours ago, holtb80 said:

No lower league matches in north America has been a developmental issue for a few years on FM now... It's quite silly as there are other leagues who have "matches" yet are unplayable. I report that as an issue every year but no one cares to implement it.

That's because the US lower leagues (USL Championship, League One, NISA, etc.) are not official playable leagues. It also works this way in Germany if you don't have the lower leagues enabled, BUT in both cases players still get matches that affect their fitness and development even if they don't show up in the calendar so I don't get what's the issue here.

7 minutes ago, Gum said:

That's because the US lower leagues (USL Championship, League One, NISA, etc.) are not official playable leagues. It also works this way in Germany if you don't have the lower leagues enabled, BUT in both cases players still get matches that affect their fitness and development even if they don't show up in the calendar so I don't get what's the issue here.

The players don't get better. They never have in NA lower leagues. Every year I spend easily 400+ hours since 2015, it does not work. THAT is the issue. 

Hey! I had an issue when I was playing with Inter Miami. After the Expansion Draft, I started to lose a player from my squad every single time I clicked in "Continue". I do not know why this happened, because all my players had contract until the following year and at some time I had something like 10-11 players in my whole senior squad. Is this normal? Is this a bug? Then I search for those players and they were available in a free transfer. I am sending the example of Federico Higuaín. It appears "Descon." in the reason why he left Inter Miami, that means "Unknown". 

image_2020-11-21_212012.png

image_2020-11-21_212345.png

15 hours ago, holtb80 said:

This is why I'm probably going to wait for custom USA league databases to come out before I do an MLS save. Wait for Uncle Sam or one of them to fix the USA pyramid for SI. I love SI and this year's edition of FM is ****ing amazing, but as a fan from the US it hurts a little bit to see the US leagues so broken.

• SI Staff
On 20/11/2020 at 20:25, ohitsoh said:

I was just testing this actually and have logged it. Two main issues - one they don't get any games, which is its own problem, but it's a developmental dead-end for youngsters and especially those out the academy.

Thanks

Le 22/11/2020 à 03:43, TheGhostyBear a dit :

This is why I'm probably going to wait for custom USA league databases to come out before I do an MLS save. Wait for Uncle Sam or one of them to fix the USA pyramid for SI. I love SI and this year's edition of FM is ****ing amazing, but as a fan from the US it hurts a little bit to see the US leagues so broken.

I have never tried the custom USA league. Is it the real rules and pyramid with drafts, salary cap and so on ?

Edited by Aubibeen69

48 minutes ago, Aubibeen69 said:

I have never tried the custom USA league. Is it the real rules and pyramid with drafts, salary cap and so on ?

Yes, the one that came out in 2017 had nasl and usl leagues that were playable. There was no promotion, because that does not exist. What it did was make moving players on loan much easier and there were active teams willing to buy your players who aren't good enough for MLS. The loan games were key in development for young players you couldn't get any time for. 

I only ran it for a couple seasons but worked very well. I am hoping it gets picked up again too. Although, just having lower league in NA get games should NOT be too difficult.