What are your plans for FM21?

Jimbokav1971

I will be  completely honest with you, I'm struggling to come up with a concrete idea for either my FM21 Beta save or my FM21 main save. (It's possible that they will even be 1 and the same). 

Would you mind sharing with us what your plans are for FM21, whether you will be doing a Beta save or diving straight into your main save? 

As well as which Nation/League/Club you will be managing, I'm also interested to know of any self-imposed rules/styles you will be imposing upon yourself. 

I'm not looking to copy anyone else's idea, (although never say never). I'm really just looking for inspiration because I expect the demo to be released on Tuesday and I've got..... nothing. :confused:

Please help. :)

I want to focus on youth again, to see if I can manage it with the development centre (failed miserably this time in my attempt at Dukla Prague).

Not sure of country yet though.

Always tempted by Denmark (and debating joining the #Danske party), but otherwise I am thinking of a smaller country to have the challenge of larger clubs trying to poach better players even when on top.

Probably European, so the current favourite are

Scotland, Sweden/Finland/Norway, or something down in South Eastern Europe that I haven’t attempted yet.  If I travel further afield it would be Mexico, or a smaller South American league 

Going for a very typical youth focused (but not solely academy, as always) save in England as I haven't managed here for years. It also gives me the added bonus that I need 5 promotions to make the top tier rather than the normal 2 (Portuguese third tier, Spanish third tier, Italian third tier, Brazilian third tier in my last saves).

I'll be managing my hometown club and will be trying to intertwine a bit of a narrative (but not a story) based on the historical demographics of the town along with trying to develop the local region (the midlands).

Should take a while!

EDIT: Should mention that essentially this is a Dafuge challenge as they're not playable season one.

Edited by _Ben_

I'll share my less than inspiring ideas to start off with. 

• A Youth Only save with an English club who are non-playable in season 1, (so basically the dafuge challenge), but with the additional self-imposed rule of going Youth Only. I'm thinking AFC Rushden & Diamonds, (which is local to me), and the added benefit of this is that I would be able to start this as a main save on the day the demo is released, (assuming that I can get AFCR&D promoted. 
  • A Beta only short term save where I manage Spurs using a DoF to buy/sell players. I have played a few seasons with Spurs trying to focus on Harry Kane, and it might be a decent introduction to the new game. 
  • A Journeyman Youth Only save in South America. I've had FM20 loaded up and been looking through the South American leagues but not finding a starting club jumping out at me. 
  • Something Youth Only Portugese based. I've never managed there and it's increasingly attracting my attention. Again, I'm not finding any inspiration though. 
  • Something to do with the points of a compass. I would love to win the UEFA Champions League with 4 different clubs that are further North, South, East and West than those who have done so already. 
  • Mick McCarthy has joined APOEL in Cyprus as Manager. I would love to go mano a mano against Big Mick and try form a save around creating some sort of rivalry. The most obvious choice for this would be Omonia Nicosia.
  • I've had an idea for ages whereby I would do a save where I could sign anyone who I wanted, but where only 2 players from any Nation could play for the club each season, but it's an undeveloped idea at the moment. 
Edited by Jimbokav1971

5 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'll share my less than inspiring ideas to start off with. 

• A Journeyman Youth Only save in South America. I've had FM20 loaded up and been looking through the South American leagues but not finding a starting club jumping out at me. 
  • Something to do with the points of a compass. I would love to win the Champions League with 4 different clubs that are further North, South, East and West than those who have done so already. 
  • Mick McCarthy has joined APOEL in Cyprus as Manager. I would love to go mano a mano against Big Mick and try form a save around creating some sort of rivalry. The most obvious choice for this would be Omonia Nicosia.

First point - I can recommend Real San Andres in the Colombian 2nd tier, managed them once before and my re-visit them though.

Second point - Tromsø, Tenerife, SKA Khabarovsk (or Sakhalin if they win promotion) and Santa Clara or Lusitânia. ;) 

Third point - Mick McCarthy is APOEL's 16th manager in 7 years so I don't think you'll be able to build up a rivalry. :lol:

I have two ideas. Both career saves.

A: Download league files for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and start up there with a probably Estonian manager.

B: Get the Norwegian Third tier and go back to my good old days of starting in Norway.

I'm never too sure about third party leagues though. I recall using one once and not having the best time. I'm sure the European add on leagues are great these days, right? Are they nicely fleshed out these days, because my FM OCD suffocates under any irregularity?

It's funny, because in real life I'm your genuine lazy bastard. In games I'm OCD to a crazy level.

Edited by anagain

I'm looking at doing a CFG (City football group) save.I want to try and get continental success as that is something the CFG have never had.

Thankfully we have the add/remove feature as I have seen news of them wanting a Russian team as well as looing at bringing Colombian side independiente Medellin into the CFG.

Just now, Makoto Nakamura said:

Brainstorming over WhatsApp has led to me wanting to do, and now researching, an 'island' save when the beta is over. :brock:

I'll be doing the group save for the beta. #DanskeDanske #MakotoNakamurasen

An Island save, (Madeira in particular), is what led me to the Compass thing. "Just" doing an island things seemed a little vanilla. 

I have only just gone and found the Danske thread and looking at it now. Would be rude not to have a dabble in that. :applause:

Thanks @Makoto NakamuraThis is just the inspiration I needed. I will be giving it the full @Gundotreatment. (Holidaying 1st season and taking over someone who is promoted and then going Youth Only & then converting into journeyman or possibly straight to Brondby at some point. 

Pressure is off. Decision made. :thup:

1 hour ago, B.W.G said:

I'm looking at doing a CFG (City football group) save.I want to try and get continental success as that is something the CFG have never had.

Thankfully we have the add/remove feature as I have seen news of them wanting a Russian team as well as looing at bringing Colombian side independiente Medellin into the CFG.

For a bit more info on this save

74da6cd0dde466f47faf752a8e6f2adf.png

There will be a some changes to rep with Montevideo City Torque being the main one as they were promoted so there maybe changes in reputation but I don't think it will be too much different from what it is now.

Managing City will be end game unless something drastically goes wrong with them in the save.I will be using the in game editor to keep track of any reputation changes in case things deviate from the current career path.

Edited by B.W.G

I'll come back to my home country, Croatia, and take a fallen giant that has not won a league since 2004/5 season! HNK Hajduk Split. For what is arguably the best club in the country, sickens me to say as Dinamo Zagreb fan, it is pretty remarkable how bad the management is last 15 years - from front office, to coaches, to youth. This is the same team that has discarded Modrić and Višća cos they were too weak, among many others. And I plan to revert it to how Hajduk is supposed to look and feel.

I wanna put the plan that failed in real life - Naša dica. Or for people not knowing Dalmatian dialect of Croatian language - Our kids.

My plan is to always have 15 youth academy players OR players that are HGC by the time they are 19 in the first team which is a stark contrast from the situation that is around the club in last 10 or so years. And try to have rest of the players be from Croatia as well. A foreign player has to be a lot better than the one that is home-grown and especially if he is from my academy! Another plan is to sell off youth academy players to other, worse, Croatian teams in order for them to be better even if it means that I do not get as much money.

And since I have B team in second tier I also wanna have a smooth production line of talent and this makes it incredibly easier to achieve.

No idea. Having trouble getting motivated enough for committing to a career at the moment. Might just **** around with Porto or Ajax or something, it probably won't be a super interesting concept or backstory. 

I'd join you guys in Denmark but as my little experiment in Latvia recently shown (still have the club as avatar, need to turn that off), I think I just don't like playing lower league/low level anymore these days. The football is too hard to watch. :D

On my list there a couple of things:

• 100% completion of brazil, which means win all possible leagues and cups
  • American Journeyman, work my way from the south to maybe the MLS
  • create a nation, most likely with an asian country

But I will start with one of those:

• Restauration of Widzew Lodz, 2nd tier Poland. no restrictions
  • Find the new John Obi Mikel at Lyn Oslo, 4th tier Norway, africa focus on players
  • Reunited Yugoslavia with OFK Beograd, 3rd tier Serbia, Sign and develop only players from the 7 countries
  • Similar to Yugoslavia, Reunited Czechoslovakia or Austria-Hungary, start in low tier and player focus on those countries
  • Journeyman Skandinavia, no restrictions

I will probably still be playing FM20 til around Christmas time - I usually get the new FM as a Christmas present, and this gives time for the skinning, mods, extended leagues to be developed by the time I start to get into it. Let's see if the delayed release date this year will impact on the additional work that the community provides.

In terms of gameplay and save options, I have a few staples:

- Take an international youth job (U19 or u21) and  work through that for a few years - hopefully into an international tournament - and work that into a club job.

- I have tried some regional saves, where i've looked at moving up through the divisions in different neighbouring countries. Examples - UK & Ireland, Balkans, Scandi-Nordic, Benelux.

- I love the islands idea referenced above - especially for youth-only. With the right expansion pack, I have thought about youth only with Guernsey or Jersey Bulls in England, knowing that being closer to France might bring some options in there. I have also seen some interesting saves with different nationalities in a nation - and try to bring in the youth there. Vaduz in Switzerland, Caley Braves in Scotland, EA Braganca in Portugal, etc.

- There are a number of resurrection projects to bring back to the big-time - Nottingham Forest, Hamburg, etc. This one depends on how much work there is just to get them back to a decent level and then take them up to the top.

- Generally, I have tried to fit a 'theme' around a long-term save, in order to keep my engagement. I've tried to keep the story going 

St Pauli this time, I've never managed them, but I love the atmosphere around the club, the fans and what the club stands for, will try to bring them to Bundesliga, it might take more than a year, but I want to build a solid club there.

Edited by TheVerySpecialOne

Since they are back to the Championship, bringing Coventry back to the Premier League and trying to achieve something special with them would probably be my plan. Also there's traditional Italian sides that have achieved promotion last season, they would be nice too.

At the moment my plan is to do a journeyman/career game, Not totally sure but maybe Ledley king career as a manager.😁

I am gonna continue on FMT20 with Mawborough, not that anyone is interested but I am loving my save.🤣

I'll start with a European journeyman career. I had good saves like these in FM18 and 19. Last year I did dafuge's challenge but I was exhausted after 5 seasons in the EPL, so this time I'm looking for shorter stints at various clubs. "Short term success" is my motto for 2021.

Last year I was already making improvements in sticking to one save as I could manage to bring my beta save to 2024 before getting too distracted to continue at a steady pace. This year I hope to complete the full cycle with just one save and one save alone- though obviously there's a good chance the editor might hold me back from reaching that goal.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot and the problem is having too many ideas. Due to Covid I’ve played FM20 more than any other version, but I’ve not been able to stick with one save, sometimes I always aim to do. My ideas include:

Charlton - the obvious one, the club I support. After years of ownership issues including two (or was it three?) takeovers this year alone in Danish businessman Thomas Sandgaard we finally have an owner who cares, has footballing ambition and is able to fund the club.

Sandgaard is aiming for regular European football in 10-15 years.

On top of that aside from the obvious aims of winning the Prem and CL longer term I’d look to:

- Beat the attendance record of 75,000.

- Have a new stadium named after me.

- Dominate with a squad made up entirely of academy players.

Although I’ve never achieved the last three I’ve played as Charlton plenty of times in the past (had every version since CM 00/01). I also like to start at the lowest level.

Merthyr Town

I had one of my favourite ever saves on FM16 when I took them to the Prem playing passing football, something many claim isn’t possible in the lower leagues.

This time I’d make it a Welsh only save to force me to develop the academy. I usually do the opposite and ignore it, lack of patience I think, it’s quicker to achieve success by putting all your money towards signing the best free agents you can find.

If I’m sacked it would end the save, unless I could get the job at one of the other Welsh clubs in England.

Long ball

Take an obscure English club to Prem and CL glory playing hoofball. The opposite of my FM16 Merthyr save - prove that it can be done.

Ideally they need to be from a rough area in the north west, only ever played in non-league and with a name that would make opposition fans describe them as “tinpot”. Someone like Atherton Colleries, though that would probably require the editor.

It’s frustrating style to watch as you constantly give the ball away, though if sacked I could try again at a similar club.

Another option is Badalona, a Spanish 3rd tier club based near Barcelona - overtake them playing the opposite to their tika taka.

European save

Never properly done a journeyman save around Europe. I the idea, but I prefer to build one club up rather than simply trying to become the best ever manager. I think it’s harder not feeling a connection to a club or league.

Alternatively stick with one club, but who? I had a good save in Wales on FM20 but lost interest once I had dominated domestically for 4/5 years - it’s even more of a slog to compete in the CL. So that puts me off smaller leagues.

Interesting clubs are those from big cities such as Paris FC, and those with foreign newgens such as FC Andorra and Turkgucu Munchen (played a season with them on FM20). Unique club cultures are also an option, Altinordu in the Turkish 2nd tier who can only buy Turkish players being one of them.

Youth only

Always interests me but not sure I have the patience. I get youth intakes and am put off by how poor the majority are, so never focus on youth - it’s easier to spend your budget on players who immediately improve your first team.

Belenenses in Portugal look a good option. Not the top tier club, the other one in the fourth tier who kept among various things the facilities. They should have the reputation to be promoted into the playable leagues after the first season and the set up to bring through good intakes from the start.

I’ve had very few long term saves outside of the UK so it’s about keeping motivated and avoiding the temptation to start another save.

Caley Braves in Scotland with their French newgens is also interesting, but I’ve had saves with Edinburgh City and Hamilton in recent years.

Chertanovo Moscow in the Russian 2nd tier have this as a policy in game, and Russia has short seasons so are another option. I tried a normal save playing in Russia with Sakhalin on FM20, but never got attached to it. I chose them as they’re nearer to Japan than Europe and can be promoted into the playable leagues after one season. 

England tier 10

Take my local club to the top. I’ve done it with a 6th tier side out of the box, but this means waiting for it to be created (can’t imagine doing it myself). Tried it on FM20, got sacked partly due to board expectations rising far too quickly - they wanted promotion from the 9th tier straight after being promoted to that level. I was inspired by Lee Bowyer’s 4-4-2 diamond at the time which is much harder to get right than your more standard formations.

Build a nation? What about build a region

Rather than the well known build a nation saves, I had the idea of building up a region. As an example manage multiple big Eastern European clubs, build them up so much that those leagues become the dominant leagues in Europe.

Very ambitious and means dealing with dominating domestically which gets boring after a few seasons.

Conclusion

So that’s where I am, need to pick the right save otherwise I’ll spend the next year trying all of them and not achieving the goal in any of them!

29 minutes ago, Scoham said:

I’ve been thinking about this a lot and the problem is having too many ideas. Due to Covid I’ve played FM20 more than any other version, but I’ve not been able to stick with one save, sometimes I always aim to do. My ideas include:

Charlton - the obvious one, the club I support. After years of ownership issues including two (or was it three?) takeovers this year alone in Danish businessman Thomas Sandgaard we finally have an owner who cares, has footballing ambition and is able to fund the club.

Sandgaard is aiming for regular European football in 10-15 years.

On top of that aside from the obvious aims of winning the Prem and CL longer term I’d look to:

- Beat the attendance record of 75,000.

- Have a new stadium named after me.

- Dominate with a squad made up entirely of academy players.

Although I’ve never achieved the last three I’ve played as Charlton plenty of times in the past (had every version since CM 00/01). I also like to start at the lowest level.

Merthyr Town

I had one of my favourite ever saves on FM16 when I took them to the Prem playing passing football, something many claim isn’t possible in the lower leagues.

This time I’d make it a Welsh only save to force me to develop the academy. I usually do the opposite and ignore it, lack of patience I think, it’s quicker to achieve success by putting all your money towards signing the best free agents you can find.

If I’m sacked it would end the save, unless I could get the job at one of the other Welsh clubs in England.

Long ball

Take an obscure English club to Prem and CL glory playing hoofball. The opposite of my FM16 Merthyr save - prove that it can be done.

Ideally they need to be from a rough area in the north west, only ever played in non-league and with a name that would make opposition fans describe them as “tinpot”. Someone like Atherton Colleries, though that would probably require the editor.

It’s frustrating style to watch as you constantly give the ball away, though if sacked I could try again at a similar club.

Another option is Badalona, a Spanish 3rd tier club based near Barcelona - overtake them playing the opposite to their tika taka.

European save

Never properly done a journeyman save around Europe. I the idea, but I prefer to build one club up rather than simply trying to become the best ever manager. I think it’s harder not feeling a connection to a club or league.

Alternatively stick with one club, but who? I had a good save in Wales on FM20 but lost interest once I had dominated domestically for 4/5 years - it’s even more of a slog to compete in the CL. So that puts me off smaller leagues.

Interesting clubs are those from big cities such as Paris FC, and those with foreign newgens such as FC Andorra and Turkgucu Munchen (played a season with them on FM20). Unique club cultures are also an option, Altinordu in the Turkish 2nd tier who can only buy Turkish players being one of them.

Youth only

Always interests me but not sure I have the patience. I get youth intakes and am put off by how poor the majority are, so never focus on youth - it’s easier to spend your budget on players who immediately improve your first team.

in Portugal look a good option. Not the top tier club, the other one in the fourth tier who kept among various things the facilities. They should have the reputation to be promoted into the playable leagues after the first season and the set up to bring through good intakes from the start.

I’ve had very few long term saves outside of the UK so it’s about keeping motivated and avoiding the temptation to start another save.

Caley Braves in Scotland with their French newgens is also interesting, but I’ve had saves with Edinburgh City and Hamilton in recent years.

Chertanovo Moscow in the Russian 2nd tier have this as a policy in game, and Russia has short seasons so are another option. I tried a normal save playing in Russia with Sakhalin on FM20, but never got attached to it. I chose them as they’re nearer to Japan than Europe and can be promoted into the playable leagues after one season. 

England tier 10

Take my local club to the top. I’ve done it with a 6th tier side out of the box, but this means waiting for it to be created (can’t imagine doing it myself). Tried it on FM20, got sacked partly due to board expectations rising far too quickly - they wanted promotion from the 9th tier straight after being promoted to that level. I was inspired by Lee Bowyer’s 4-4-2 diamond at the time which is much harder to get right than your more standard formations.

Build a nation? What about build a region

Rather than the well known build a nation saves, I had the idea of building up a region. As an example manage multiple big Eastern European clubs, build them up so much that those leagues become the dominant leagues in Europe.

Very ambitious and means dealing with dominating domestically which gets boring after a few seasons.

Conclusion

So that’s where I am, need to pick the right save otherwise I’ll spend the next year trying all of them and not achieving the goal in any of them!

Hi mate. Thanks for your response. :thup: Seeing you post has made me think about how long we have been doing this. I remember knowing you before Josh Wright joined Barnet from Charlton back in about...... Christ knows, he's about 33 now and joined us as a 17 year old I think, so that means it would have been back in about 2006/07. :eek:

You know I always thought he would play in the Premier League. I actually though he would play for England, but that's a very hard call to make. 

Charlton is indeed an attractive proposition after the recent issues. I would love to do an AFC Bury or AFC Macclesfield save right from the bottom. Charlton, Bolton, Wigan & Coventry are all attractive for similar reasons. I did a Youth Only save from Tier 10 last season though so probably need to change things up a little. 

I've done the TM thing in previous issues, (in N.Ireland), and absolutely loved it. 

@Makoto Nakamuramentioned Turgucu Munchen the other day. Hadn't heard of them before. Altinordu sound really interesting. :thup: Caley Braves? a Scottish club that produce French newgens you say. Interesting. :cool:

I've toyed with a similar idea of Welsh clubs in England before but never quite followed through. 

Good luck. 

36 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hi mate. Thanks for your response. :thup: Seeing you post has made me think about how long we have been doing this. I remember knowing you before Josh Wright joined Barnet from Charlton back in about...... Christ knows, he's about 33 now and joined us as a 17 year old I think, so that means it would have been back in about 2006/07. :eek:

You know I always thought he would play in the Premier League. I actually though he would play for England, but that's a very hard call to make. 

Charlton is indeed an attractive proposition after the recent issues. I would love to do an AFC Bury or AFC Macclesfield save right from the bottom. Charlton, Bolton, Wigan & Coventry are all attractive for similar reasons. I did a Youth Only save from Tier 10 last season though so probably need to change things up a little. 

I've done the TM thing in previous issues, (in N.Ireland), and absolutely loved it. 

@Makoto Nakamuramentioned Turgucu Munchen the other day. Hadn't heard of them before. Altinordu sound really interesting. :thup: Caley Braves? a Scottish club that produce French newgens you say. Interesting. :cool:

I've toyed with a similar idea of Welsh clubs in England before but never quite followed through. 

Good luck. 

I don't think Altinordu are hardcoded to only by Turkish players, I did a few seasons with them this FM and as soon as they were taken over they no longer had to rely on Turkish players. :( 

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Spurs could be an interesting beta save, see if you get the best out of Ali, I don't really want to managing in England again though this yea so I'll see 

I played a few single seasons with Spurs recently on FM20 and Dele was interesting. More effective in wide positions than central or up front. That's probably related to me not playing to his strengths though. A Spurs save really will be interesting in FM21 and maybe FMT is way to approach that. I'm expecting Kane/Son to be beasts, (because they really are). With other "big" teams so relatively poor, I wonder could Spurs properly challenge for the title this season? City seem a shadow of their former selves without a proper striker. Liverpool are shipping goals like we have never seen before. Utd look a shambles defensively. Arsenal...... who knows. :lol: Are Leicester/Wolves capable of challenging? 

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I played a few single seasons with Spurs recently on FM20 and Dele was interesting. More effective in wide positions than central or up front. That's probably related to me not playing to his strengths though. A Spurs save really will be interesting in FM21 and maybe FMT is way to approach that. I'm expecting Kane/Son to be beasts, (because they really are). With other "big" teams so relatively poor, I wonder could Spurs properly challenge for the title this season? City seem a shadow of their former selves without a proper striker. Liverpool are shipping goals like we have never seen before. Utd look a shambles defensively. Arsenal...... who knows. :lol: Are Leicester/Wolves capable of challenging? 

Yeah, it could be a really interesting save, even if it's just one for the beta. Kane, Son, Bale, Dele, Nbombele, Doherty, Lloris, it's a solid squad. That's what I want to know in FM21, if Ali can play centrally because looking at his attributes in FM20, he should be perfect  

Edited by Johnny Ace

I think I might do a UK save where I start at the bottom of each of the playable leagues in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England and make my way up to win the title in the top division. Also taking over the nation as well (this doesn't have to be at same time i.e managing in Scotland I could also be managing the English national team as its always difficult to get international jobs at certain times!). 

To make it a bit more difficult I will be buying only UK nationality players!

Not that I've ever stuck with my saves for more than 5-6 seasons but in my mind these are what I'm thinking.

Dynasty Save

This will be with a Premier "Sleeping Giant" - with the Target of being the most successful English Team of all Time - in terms of Domestic Top Flight titles won.

With the Dynasty Saves, I'd take control of Transfers In and Out, and also play the non-friendlies - no IR button on this save. 

Think I'll be looking at Newcastle Utd, where I'd be starting from a lower expectant position to give me chance to work myself in gradually - I'd like to also try and find another goal machine to match Alan Shearer along the way, also with the potential fan base maybe increased success brings could it Newcastle the best average attendance in the country.

Journeyman Save

With the Journeyman saves, I'd use the DoF more and IR most non-crucial games. 

If we get additional countries from Custom DB's then I thought about doing a save based on the 15 former Soviet States, with the ultimate goal of getting a champions league title from one of the Countries.

Before the option of custom DB's I thought maybe do a Journeyman save based loosely around the career of 'Big' Sam Allardyce  - starting in the ROI and closing the career when one season of the Premier League consists totally of teams that I've managed (in the Premier League) at some previous point in the save.

Youth Save

I've never done a true full Youth save, but the trials and tribulations of Irchester last season showed it's possible to take teams a very long way just with the elixir of youth. With the standard DB,for me, it would need to be a European country, and I guess you need a decent size league structure to allow time for the slow build, and not be facing the sack after the first few difficult seasons ? 

Is it possible to manage a 'B' Team and then takeover the A Team whilst integrating your B Team stars  - not sure if that would even count as a Youth save ? .... 

Edited by TheMadMonk

21 hours ago, dafuge said:

I've had around 18 months without playing FM at all, but I'm starting to get drawn back in to it.

No idea what save I would play or if I would even have a thread about it, but I'm planning on giving FM21 a proper go.

Face the music and #DanskeDanske