What are your best memories from FM20?

I hope this hasn't been done, and I missed it. I couldn't see it. Here goes anyway.

I really enjoyed FM20. It resparked a love of FM for me again, and my 750 hours spent in the game is the most I've managed yet. I know I'm way behind many, but I like to try and fit in other games. That's hard and I don't know what I'll do when Ashes Of Creation (look it up if you like MMOs) arrives. Until now, however, I'll enjoy the game.

Anyway, I finished my last season of FM20 earlier. I won't fit in another before FM21 beta arrives, and it got me thinking about some fun moments in my saves this year. I think I have 3 top moments.

3. Beating Celje 6-4 with Koper. That was an incredible game that I won with 3 goals in stoppage time. Had I been the Celje boss I'd have been smashing my monitor (I'd never do that really - that was dramatic license), but as Koper manager to see those goals go in was wonderful.

2. I spent 5 seasons with Bangor, which is an eternity for me the way I play FM. I started in the Cymru North and took them back to the Cymru Premier. I'll never forget the moment I was finally able to claw my way past TNS to lift the Cymru Premier title.

I became a Bangor City fan (I can't compete with the die hards - they're my Welsh team) after living there a few years once and seeing some games. I knew in a small way of their plight and had decided I'd do Bangor in FM20, but I really didn't expect the Italian invasion I came across when loading the save. I wrote it up in the career forum...and winning the league eventually was a nice feeling.

1. So I had won the Cymru Premier. To then go on and have three wonderful European Bangor Bus Adventures in the European competitions was great fun. I lost convincingly to Videoton in the CL qualies in season five, but then shocked everyone by getting to the fourth qualy round of the new European competition and missing out on the group stages to Apollon Limassol. Throughout my European Bangor Bus Adventures I went to Andorra twice and discovered a real life beautiful city called Bijeljina in Bosnia that I'd love to visit after this pandemic.

So European competition with a minnow is probably my best moment.

I should maybe have won the league first season up, but Barry snuck past a bewildered TNS and ourselves. Season two TNS were just too good and squeaked ahead at the end. So to sneak past TNS, after they ballsed up against Barry, in season 3 was great. To then go on and have three wonderful European Bangor Bus Adventures in the European competitions was great. I always have Google maps open with FM, and to discover wonderful places through a game is one of the things I love about FM.

~~~~~~~~

I love the way FM draws me to clubs. Thanks to FM I count myself as a fan of Skarp, Strindheim and KFUM Oslo in Norway, Koper in Slovenia, Loughgall in Northern Ireland and Eastleigh in England. Bangor were already there, and I am sure there are other clubs that have made memories, but above are the main ones. I think I have decided from this FM forwards I'd like to try and acquire the shirts of the clubs I have loved managing. For Bangor City that shouldn't be an effort. I have looked and looked for FC Koper shirts online though. If anyone is Slovenian and knows if that is possible.

~~~~~~~

But, anyway.

What are your favourite moment(s) from FM20? I'd love to know.

My best three moments: 

• After being relegated with QPR from Premier League to Championship, and get promoted the following year, reach the 4th place in Premier League in the last matchday of the season
  • Reach the round of 16 with QPR in the 1st UCL appearance
  • Now with Krasnodar, after being sacked from QPR, i've reached UCL quarter finals (after winning the group against City and PSG)
  • Still with Krasnodar, tonight i will win the title, but with a lot of style: i'm undefeated all the season, my gk in 27 games, keep the clean sheets in 21 matches, points record in RPL and number of goals scored in RPL. 

My FM2020 XI (with the players that i have tried) 4-2-3-1:

GK: VANDERVOORT

LB: PEZZELLA

CB: EDGAR ALVAREZ, ERIC GARCIA

RB: LAIRD

CM: GILMOUR, VERRATTI

AMR: PATRICK ROBERTS

AMC: NYGREN

AML: DE LA VEGA

ST: BALOGUN (AND FATEEV, A RUSSIAN REGEN IN KRASNODAR)

Edited by Matteo3champions

3 hours ago, anagain said:

~~~~~~~~

I love the way FM draws me to clubs.

~~~~~~~

Couldn’t agree more!! Due to FM I’m a fan (well follow,  cant get to games really) of Forfar, Ballyclare Comrades, Perlis, Famalicoa and Concord Rangers. FM has a great way of introducing you to clubs you’d never dream of getting involved with unless you’re local. That’s what’s so good journeyman saves, you never know where you’re gonna end you. My football knowledge has increased ten fold because of random counties I add to my games.

1 hour ago, Matteo3champions said:

My best three moments: 

• After being relegated with QPR from Premier League to Championship, and get promoted the following year, reach the 4th place in Premier League in the last matchday of the season
  • Reach the round of 16 with QPR in the 1st UCL appearance
  • Now with Krasnodar, after being sacked from QPR, i've reached UCL quarter finals (after winning the group against City and PSG)
  • Still with Krasnodar, tonight i will win the title, but with a lot of style: i'm undefeated all the season, my gk in 27 games, keep the clean sheets in 21 matches, points record in RPL and number of goals scored in RPL. 

My FM2020 XI (with the players that i have tried) 4-2-3-1:

GK: VANDERVOORT

LB: PEZZELLA

CB: EDGAR ALVAREZ, ERIC GARCIA

RB: LAIRD

CM: GILMOUR, VERRATTI

AMR: PATRICK ROBERTS

AMC: NYGREN

AML: DE LA VEGA

ST: BALOGUN (AND FATEEV, A RUSSIAN REGEN IN KRASNODAR)

Krasnodar is the team I’m going to use to play the beta with.

I've a soft spot for FM20 - I know others are critical of it, but for me it was in the right place at the right time. Having to Shield during the first lockdown for medical reasons and be working from home from March to August, FM20's been with me during that time and has kept me sane! As an idea, I've currently played 1,167 hours on the game. The last time I hit those numbers was 2014. FM17 saw me play 175 hours, FM18 just 33 hours and FM19 302 hours! Gives an indication of the time spent on FM20!

Highlights have to be my solo game with the team I support, Shrewsbury Town. To have a (flukey) 3rd place finish (two solid 8th and 9th place finishes) in the Prem, two FA Cups, one League Cup and to have reached the Champions League Quarter Final with Town by 2024/25, I can only be happy! :D I think it's even more satisfying because I've got to that point with three of my original League One squad members too - Ro-Shaun Williams (DC), Josh Laurent (Box-to-Box midfielder) and Sean Goss (Defensive Playmaker)

Looking forward to FM21 after seeing the glimpses on the stream - even Tom and Dom's "masterclass" didn't put me off! :lol:

I had a lot of fun with this game and I'm not about to stop just cause FM21 is around the corner. I've got a 32 season long save going with Everton and I just don't wanna give this team up yet.

If I have to choose just one highlight, it would be winning the league on more goals scored than Arsenal some 25 seasons back. Same points, same goal difference, but more goals scored. We were in awful form for the 38th game, drew 0-0 I think while Arsenal battered some relegation team 4-0. Just one more goal would've won the league for them.

My final season in my journeyman save with Lazio. In any other year, the team would have walked the league title, but Inter were having none of that. It was tit-for-tat all season, until I clinched the title on the final day of the season. Glorious. 

In the same save, bringing through a young striker from the academy when at Rangers and watching him go on to be capped by Scotland was an incredibly satisfying moment. Paul Moore, you absolute legend. 

EDIT - Oh, and taking my beloved Stirling Albion to the Premiership for the first time in many FMs on Classic mode was another particular highlight,

I loved FM20

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

It wasn't my favourite of the series by a long chalk, but due to lockdown I did rack up 2721 hours. My best save started with Racing CFF in the French Lower leagues. I got them to Ligue 1, with my highest finish a respectable 5th place. With 'Legend' status achieved, I moved to Atalanta where I won three Serie A titles, but struggled in Europe. I then moved to Bayern - where upon clinching the Bundesliga title - I decided to call time on the save (and FM20).

It was a good long save. Thoroughly enjoyable and due to my lower league start - all the trophies won when I reached the top leagues felt deserved.  

Tearing up the Championship with Newcastle and the, was it Saudi?, sugardaddy takeover file. Gio Reyna and Saint-Maximin was just unstoppable together, Also got Gary Cahill and Andreas Perreira in the January transfer window. Good times. My one and only fun and successful save with FM20. Not saying it was a bad game, just that I was not very good at it.

2 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Putting it down for FM19

1 hour ago, wattzy said:

Yeah I don’t think I’d consider any point with FM20 happy. 

Praying that the new one can draw me back in!!

No offence, but why even post then? If I'd asked for opinions, maybe, but I asked for memories. I didn't want yet another thread criticising FM20. There are plenty of places to post where you didn't like the game, but you had to chime in on this one.

Finger's crossed it does draw you back in though, @wattzy. I had a similar situation with something like FM16. I mised the next one and have come back to FM with a passion since then.

2 minutes ago, anagain said:

No offence, but why even post then? If I'd asked for opinions, maybe, but I asked for memories. I didn't want yet another thread criticising FM20. There are plenty of places to post where you didn't like the game, but you had to chime in on this one.

Finger's crossed it does draw you back in though, @wattzy. I had a similar situation with something like FM16. I mised the next one and have come back to FM with a passion since then.

gc.gif

11 minutes ago, anagain said:

In fairness, I've clocked 440hrs on FM20 (FM19 - 1,080 and FM13 - 1,800 by comparison). I think it was a combination of being so invested in my last 19 save before 20 came out, and a bit of frustration at the match engine in comparison. That being said, just loaded up 20 to see which saves I had on the go and forgot one of them which I did enjoy to a point. I loved absolutely everything from 20 bar the ME. The UI was great, the club vision, the playing time for players etc. Like you said to wattzy, I've had the same issue in the past. 14, 16 were a couple of versions I really didn't get on with. But the right version and the right save can make all the difference and that's what makes it so exciting.

2 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

In fairness, I've clocked 440hrs on FM20 (FM19 - 1,080 and FM13 - 1,800 by comparison). I think it was a combination of being so invested in my last 19 save before 20 came out, and a bit of frustration at the match engine in comparison. That being said, just loaded up 20 to see which saves I had on the go and forgot one of them which I did enjoy to a point. I loved absolutely everything from 20 bar the ME. The UI was great, the club vision, the playing time for players etc. Like you said to wattzy, I've had the same issue in the past. 14, 16 were a couple of versions I really didn't get on with. But the right version and the right save can make all the difference and that's what makes it so exciting.

See, everyone finds greatness when they really think about it. :brock:

I probably jumped in a bit there, but we see so much of disgruntlement towards FM20 on these forums. I just wanted to see some positivity.

I think the ME is looking great for FM21. I liked what I saw in the stream, so hopefully FM21 can be a wonderful experience that makes more fans happy.

Two nil down, my AC Milan side had to travel to Anfield with a two goal deficit to overturn.  We were rank outsiders against the defending european champions. So we came up with a Bielsa strategy for the first half.

We lined up in a 433 wide, and I asked my wide attacking mids to man mark Trent Alexander Arnold and Andy Robertson for the first half.  We keep a tight ship in the first half. Second half starts, both their fullbacks are on yellow cards. I bring on a pacey young inside forward called Nicolas Maffei who has bags of potential, and has been away on loan at Ajax. He has plenty to prove.

Maffei heads to the pitch, I wrap my arms around him and tell him not to man mark, giving him license to run at the Reds tiring backline.  I tell my team to hit the early cross into space. It's now time to run that backline ragged. We put 3 past them in the 2nd half and march on the finals of the Champions league and win that too.

It happened on stream and was one of my most memorable matches of FM20.

I have thoroughly enjoyed fm20 and had some of the best saves I've done in years.

But my best memories without a doubt was winning the champs league with Lazio in the 3rd season. It wasn't so much winning it, it was how we won it.

This was our run.

1212963070_clrun.png.531fd5d6dc834fa0ab1a6138deca12b5.png

We had a really tough run to win, and the wins over Liverpool and city were particularly sweet.

133487050_champsleaguewin-lazio.thumb.png.e0d536b13077ad12f5c18d4adcab698b.png

Then to win in a dramatic pen shootout, with Strakosha making the vital save to win it.

Edited by sedge11

Maybe getting sacked by Sunderland in my 3rd season. Got promoted from League One in my first, finished in the playoffs and lost in the Championship (despite being projected to finish 17th). The board gave me under 1 million in transfer budget and demanded we finish in the playoffs again. Ended up getting sacked, then hired by Stoke... where I proceeded to beat Sunderland in my first game as manager and get Stoke promoted to the Premier League while Sunderland ended up getting relegated. The sweet, sweet karma.

48 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Why even bother posting this? 

A question is being asked, so why being surprised? I was rly thinking about a best memory. I just couldnt find it, so. And i know i was happy when i bought the game, so it is the best memory for me. 

For me, honestly it was simple

Finally getting a laptop to replace my ancient ASUS am being able to play with all the graphical add ons (kits, logos etc) an not taking 5 days to process or load up a player profile. 

made such a difference to me. With work an kids I get little time to play these days but now I’m flying through my long term save an the game looks beautiful. Finally using the 3D match engine as it was designed to be used etc. 

in terms of save memories. I came to fm20 late this year so only on my one an only save with aldershot. Back to back promotions from national league to league 1 an looking like another promotion from there at first time of asking. Knocking Sheffield Utd out of the FA CUP while I was League 2 was pretty sweet an brought in money. 

Seeing a mate an lad I used to manage at amateur level make it into the game was pretty good too! Especially as he’s doing well with Luton in real life. 

42F0D0CE-7425-4D50-952C-7A3414255C3C.jpeg

It isn’t my memory, but the best story I have read is by a chap called @Padders.  In the Youth Academy Challenge thread , the same thread where I got FC United to the Premier League with academy only players, he not only went better, but he has managed Scarborough for over 250 YEARS and in the year 2277, he finally won the Champions League (page 111 on the linked thread for the winning moment).  In all these years, he never signed a single player and only used players that came through the academy.

Find me a better story or achievement on FM.  I will wait.

Edited by DazRTaylor

Both Berlins gave me quite a few dear moments

Hertha:

1) Salomon Kalou's last stand. I played him as starting WPa for two seasons where he averaged about 30 scorers a year and one year as sub WPs where he drew similar numbers on a per 90 minute basis. 

2) My young players. Redan, Samardzic, Maier, Netz. All delivered and developed a lot!

3) Stark as captain. In three seasons I had not one player throwing a fit because Stark made everyone drop concerns

4) Dilrosun. Just Dilrosun. I began to love him as a winger but as CWB he was even more of a beast.

-————

Union had three big ones:

1) Retraining Yunus Malli as Regista. Somehow he managed to become PotM in games I lost without scoring. At season's end he had a 8.64 average and was key to my success.

2) Phalakmani Mahlambi. 13 goals, 16 assists. Cost me a mere million and delivered hard. In general he was one of my MVPs in almost every save I had. 

3) Thanks to Bayern failing hard, I managed to somehow win the league with 65 points in my first season. I absolutely did not see that one coming, especially as I started the save as yet another no-instruction-tactic run for funsies. 

—————

Minor ones:

—My newfound love for roles I seldomly used before. The Wa I always sorted out before. The RGA I never dared to use. The basic CMs who holds the midfield together. The WPa whose position I never used but who alone made it worthwhile

—No-instruction tactics. This year I really got to it and the longer it went, the more fun it got and the more ideas sprung into existance.